Status
Not open for further replies.
Name:
Ren

Race:
Half- Elzen.

He is half dark elzen- making his skin a blueish hue, and his ears elongated and sharp. This also gives him access to magic- however since he is only half elzen, he isn't very 'in-tune' with it. Each Elzen is generally born with a certain magical specialty- and Ren's happens to be telekinetics.

Appearance:
Ren appears human for the most part- save for some small differences. Most obviously is that his skin is a grayish blue color. Standing about 5'9", round face but has sharper features. This is topped by silvery gray hair styled like a mohawk- very closely cut on the sides, and a stripe from front to back that is slightly 'spiked'- however it's not very long. He has orange almond shaped eyes above high cheekbones, a straight nose, and a slightly wide mouth with thin lips over a slightly pointed chin.

None of this is generally visible, however- as he's mostly covered in a dark green hooded cloak/poncho, and his face is covered by a scarf

Brief Bio:
Ren was born to lower class farmers from the southern arid areas. His father was human, and his mother was reportedly a dark elz. He never knew her, and his father certainly didn't look Elzen. He always told her that she left to search for a better life for them. In reality- she was the victim of a heinous hate crime by the other citizens of the general area. This is why his father took he and his son into the wilderness.

At an early age, Ren learned how to take care of himself in the wilderness, and learned a lot about basic tech mechanics growing up. His father was a decent enough scavenger- making a good living from pillaging hidden ruins. He learned self defense, and travelled with a group of wandering monks for a few years. They taught him martial arts, and skill with the straight bladed sword.
When he was old enough, Ren sought out on his own to help support his father who had caught a terminal illness- likely some sort of radiation from travelling into places many would 'not' to support he and his son.

Ren visits his father's tent as often as possible, never really knowing how much time he has left with his father. Purchasing new tinctures and medicine to aid in his father's condition. He's driften from area to area, gathering and learning the basics of the creator's technology, and a little about magic crystals, and the like. This is where he found his hard light blade- searching one of the old monolithic structures in the north- he found it in a long sealed room- preserved almost perfectly. It looked like something of the monks he had travelled with, so he didn't see it fit to scavenge anything there- but he 'did' take one of the devices within- not realizing what it was until he came back to one of the trading posts and talked with an old friend- showing him the tech.

He is familiar with general geography- and has travelled to most 'bigger' areas, but prefers drier climates. He's been to the monolith in the north, so found it only natural he sign up for a contract to check it out (again)- but maybe go deeper than he was able to
previously... He's looking forward to working with a group.

Skills and Abilities:

Equipment:
  • Weaponry: Hardlight sword- a straight bladed crystal powered hardlight blade. It's a medium length sword fit for most engagements. The crystal that powers the sword is green (rather than the image's blue). So it has a pale green hue and glow to the blade when formed. The blade is cool to the touch- giving a slight tingling feeling if touching skin.
  • Technology: Viewfinder, green crystals, a pack of glow rods, low-light and dust visor/goggles usually worn over his forehead. Palm-sized holo-map.
  • Other Items Carried: Bedding, dried foods, a few leather satchels for Charlie's food, and carrying other scavenged items and tech.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Spectre How do crystals recharge?

Over time, the crystals re-energize themselves depending on the tech.
If it's in a 'rechargeable' weapon- imagine it taking the same amount of time for someone to reload (taking their time). Like a cool-down time.... But like all crystals, sometimes their power will eventually expire, and need changed out.
Depending on the power level, it can take longer. That general rule of thumb applies to most crystals that can re-charge.

Think of them like... magical batteries that have a 'life' span. They generate energy for a period of time that tech can harness. Pumping the crystal for energy can drain it completely. Tapping if every now and again can allow it a bit to 'recharge' or cool down before being able to be used again.... hope that kinda mkes sense?

@Spectre I've a couple questions of crystal tech weaponry. Originally Miyako wasn't going to have any, because I couldn't think of anything that would fit well, but I forgot about one of my favorite weapons that would fit rather well. If acceptable, I shall be replacing her staff(because on further thought I decided it didn't fit well). =^.^=

I'm wondering if Crystal tech weaponry has to be common weapons. Or it they could be exotic as well. Like, do they have to be swords, etc. or could they also come in the form of war fans?

Also, would the characters be expected to know how to use crystal tech if they possessed it? Or would it be plausible for them to not know how to activate them and only do so on accident, if at all?

Another question, what are the limits of effects on crystal tech? For example, hard light blades create a blade of light. But could the effect instead keep a weapon in a state of being heated?

@Spectre I've a couple questions of crystal tech weaponry. Originally Miyako wasn't going to have any, because I couldn't think of anything that would fit well, but I forgot about one of my favorite weapons that would fit rather well. If acceptable, I shall be replacing her staff(because on further thought I decided it didn't fit well). =^.^=

I'm wondering if Crystal tech weaponry has to be common weapons. Or it they could be exotic as well. Like, do they have to be swords, etc. or could they also come in the form of war fans?

Also, would the characters be expected to know how to use crystal tech if they possessed it? Or would it be plausible for them to not know how to activate them and only do so on accident, if at all?

Another question, what are the limits of effects on crystal tech? For example, hard light blades create a blade of light. But could the effect instead keep a weapon in a state of being heated?
It can basically be whatever you want to imagine within certain bounds. So war fans would be acceptable.

Not everyone knows how to use crystal tech, but weaponry isn't super complicated. For hardlight blades, it's basically an on/off switch, for example. The crystal generates a physical blade of phase hardened light (yay magic). However- it could be partially damaged, and not every layman would know how to fix it. So the button could 'do nothing', for example. May just need to be popped open and tinkered with. It could also be as complicated or as ergonomic as you'd like, really.

Crystal tech effects i'm leaving up to you guys for imagination. BUT If it seems ridiculously overpowered from what i'm looking for- i'll tell you..... Though to put my thoughts in here, as someone else asked in a PM - and i will tell you sort of the same thing i told them. Each crystal that a device uses will only produce a 'single effect'. So 1 crystal in a blade/gun's chamber will produce a blade/bolt. You can have a device that accepts others, that can provide some status effects, like cryo tech, heating, electric, or whatever.

So if you wanted a war fan that produces flaming hard-light barbs, you'd need a crystal to produce the 'blades', and another crystal to produce the heating effect. The heating process would also need to be mindful to not grill the user's hands, etc.

Hope that helps!!!

That helps quiet a bit. =^.^=

Looking to kick this off next week. Likely between Mon and Wed.

Let me know if you need some sort of extension. Otherwise- we can drop you in when you're more available.

@Spectre I believe I have finished Miyako

If I forgot something, or something needs changed, lemme know. =^.^=

Name:
Hoshi Kita

Race:
Beastmen (snake-hybrid)

Appearance:
Hoshi's features are very serpentine: narrow, thin, and sharp. She has a fork tongue; yellowish snake eyes with a horizontal band of black and slits for pupils. Her brow protrudes farther than a humans and her nose, while mostly human, is flat and has no indentation or nose bridge. While the majority of her skin is a light tan tinted grey, she does have patches of darkened snake skin beneath her eyes, on her arms and thighs. She stands 6'1" and has a lithe physique. Also, her hair is black and long, often falling across her face. Scars: a red line beneath her right collarbone and a burn mark on her left palm and wrist.

Brief Bio:
Hoshi Kita grew up with a gypsy caravan of beastmen families who traveled across the continent, visiting cities and other civilizations as entertainers and traders. They live off the land as much as the goods they can trade for, and Hoshi developed skills for both. When she was 13, she was accidentally left behind in a big northern city. It wasn't uncommon for a member of the caravan to be forgotten; their families were huge- Hoshi alone had 11 siblings- and no one bothered to make much effort to keep track of everyone. And once the gypsies left, it was a long time before they would revisit the place, as the animosity against beastmen kept them from remaining in one place for any lengthy period.

Cut off from her family, she did resolve to find them, but that required money for travel. She used what little she understood of bargaining to hunt for a job and eventually came across an alcoholic sorcerer who specialized in making explosives. A rare trait, for sure, in an era where the necessary materials were far and few in between. As a fire-wielder, he made do, and he would get the occasional job of excavation in a ruin or mines, while selling handheld devices or materials to certain people. However, he was getting older, and no longer had the means to find everything he needed to continue his trade. In a drunk stupor and desperation, the young half-snake girl convinced him she could get what he needed.

She became his apprentice, and through much trial and error, began developing a network of buyers and sellers throughout the city. She learned how to make homemade explosives, and developed her own trading system. When she was 17, the sorcerer died from alcohol poisoning. Hoshi wasn't one to mourn much so the moment he was buried, she packed up everything he had of value and began traveling to various cities, looking for the gypsy caravan that had been her family. Along the way, she nurtured her network and experimented with her own devices to sell...for the right price. Adventurous and keen, Hoshi became involved with various activities, including gambling, and accrued many debts and a few rewards (like her hard-light glaive). This became her life for several years and while she eventually found her family, many things had changed and the time apart had left them estranged. Hoshi continues living on her own, trading and doing the odd job, but recently has begun seeking riskier and more lucrative assignments to pay off her growing debts.

Skills and Abilities:
  • Snake senses: Heightened hearing, smell, and ability to detect changes in ambient temperature (detect heat from creatures).
  • Multi-lingual: Including Common, she can speak one or two other languages and has basic understanding of the rest.
  • Trader connections: Knows who's the best to sell, and buy, items for the best price.
  • Explosives expert: While rarely having necessary materials to make big explosives, she has the working knowledge and sells handheld devices or blueprints to certain people... for the right price.
  • Mid-range combat: Wields a hard-light glaive and good shot with a gun.
Equipment:
  • Pack Horse: Doubling as transportation, Hoshi owns a brown mare she uses to carry basic traveling supplies, like a canvas to sleep in, rope coils, extra clothes, food and water.
  • Armor/Clothing: Goggles with antique focus-lens and a scarf: wears these most of the time to avoid animosity from other species while in a city; the lens are for when she is "tinkering". Her clothes consist of reinforced leather chest piece that can keep a blaster hit from eating through her skin, basic linen shirt and pants, finger-less gloves and a hooded shaw made from stiff clothe. Wears a utility belt to store certain items and rare materials, and to which she hooks her collapsible glaive to. Carries one set of other clothing needed for various climates.
  • Weaponry: Blaster rifle, hard-light glaive (link provides the shape of the blade; it is white and the staff part collapsible. Won it during a poker game.), couple smoke grenades
  • Technology: Holo-map
  • Other Items Carried: Sewing kit and "tinkering" materials (e.g. a lighter, small tool kit, wire, nails, fuses, powders, etc).

Last edited:
@Bismarck How long has Burkhart been wandering, then? Like, how long ago was the barbarian's two year-war?

@Ruby. Does Miyako have claws or pronounced nails?

Because she's part fox? I just wanted to know for IC interactions, I guess.
Well, technically claws would be more of a cat feature than a fox, especially in beastmen appearances. She does have sharper canines than normal people though...which I forgot to add in her sheet, so thanks for reminding me. =^.^=

Reactions: Majem
Well, technically claws would be more of a cat feature than a fox, especially in beastmen appearances. She does have sharper canines than normal people though...which I forgot to add in her sheet, so thanks for reminding me. =^.^=
Always good to know how many animal features a beastperson has. Which reminds me..

@SilentxChaos No tail for Hoshi?

@Spectre Does a hard-light weapon blade weigh anything and is the activation instant, or lightsaber like?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Majem
Thr blade, when activated does indeed have a weight to it. The activation is more lightsaber like, then it solidifies at it grows.

• Thank You
Burkhart has likely been wandering for a year or less. Which would explain his lackluster skills in speaking common.

• Thank You
@SilentxChaos No tail for Hoshi?

Sadly no tail XD I wanted to keep her passable as a human, and I don't think a snake's tail would be bendable to, say, tie around her waist or keep curled out of sight somehow.

Allrighty everyone!

I'll be kicking things off soon, and it will either be just before- or after a bit of a combat encounter... I can't decide >=}

So at this point, all the characters have been travelling together for about... 3-4 days.

If you'd like to poke at each other for some IC knowledge, now'd be the time.

Also- opinions on using a discord server for the above? I realize not everyone is as hyper-active as I am through the week, but I just figured i'd offer setting one up if it would be of use/help/fun.

Iwaku(or my internet) won't let me quote, but I think having a discord channel sounds like a good idea. =^.^=

Status
Not open for further replies.