The Hunter From Frisia

W

wachook

Original poster
Could it be true? For years Yeria had searched for her mentor and at times, she'd had to entertain the thought that her stalwart teacher had fallen to his own demons. But this latest blasphemy she'd heard from Willem… that he'd heard tell of a crossbreed in the Midden… surely this could not be the work of her beloved Lemueil. From the very moment she'd stepped off the boat, she knew that Willem was wrong. This was not Lemueil's country; this was not his land. The Lemueil she knew hated the hot summers of this country. He hated the way the wind hung in the breeze, the way the clouds held back from releasing the rain, the way the dust kicked up on the roads—or did she? The years had been long since the war; he had left her then. Could she really lay a claim on his feelings, long after they'd been gone?

Doubt had a way of creeping into her thoughts the closer she came to the Midden. Perhaps it was the work of the crossbreed bastard itself. Beasts were no strangers when it came to attacks to the mind—they were spiritual beings, after all. This fog of uncertainty... it couldn't come from her. Not when she'd spent the better of three decades hunting for Lemueil. Why, didn't they once rescue a village from being consumed by a Mara's uncouth thoughts? This was no different. The crossbreed was attempting to dissuade her from her purpose—Lemueil was a hunter, for God's sake. He had left her, yes, but he had not left the order.

"What's your purpose here?"

Her carriage had been stopped by the gates. Was this dung heap really worth the protection? The villagers here had already been sentenced to die—they were guinea pigs, not citizens.

"Open the door."

"It is unlocked." Yeria smoothed out her dress. "I am a hunter, come to slay the crossbreed you have kept in this… village."

"We're only people here." The guard looked over his shoulder to the Midden. "There isn't any monster… and we've plenty of eccentrics who'd verify that. From the universities, you know. They come flocking to places like ours. It's the atmosphere; they see everything and anything."

"Academics! Well, forgive me if I have a bit more sense than the green-horns." She uncorked a small vial before her and downed the silvery contents. She gasped slightly, facing away from the guard as her face began to flush. Then, a sharp whiff of sulfur… whatever else Willem had said, one thing was for certain—something was in the Midden.

"You alright?"

"It is as I thought. There is something here—the crossbreed, no doubt. Open the gates."

"Look here, for all I know you're just some lunatic. I'm not going to be responsible for someone getting shot here just because—"

Yeria pulled down the collar of her dress to reveal a nasty mark etched on her skin. It shone as red as the day she received it. Though the raw flesh could be seen in the mark, no blood flowed from the wound. It was as if her skin had become transparent in the shape of her order's sigil. The guard whistled, called for the gates to be opened, and took a second glance.

"Do you stop every visitor to this dump?" Yeria asked as she closed the door.

"Orders from the top." He shrugged. "Strange folk been coming 'round on account of that rumour. Can't be too careful!"

There was a parting thump on the carriage roof as he ushered her way in on to the Midden.

It was as if the King had pushed every beggar in the streets into one place. The squalor of the Midden was second to none other, though she did not blame the people. For how could one expect prosperity from a land once occupied by the spirits? Even now, their faint traces caused ill humours. Any stronger and she'd had arrived at a morgue... though perhaps a morgue would have served better for her goal. Corpses could not mislead people.

The Inn hadn't had much information for her, merely waving away her concerns as mere rumours as the guard had. A thought came to her then—perhaps the crossbreed had already charmed the populace? There were a few instances of beasts camouflaging themselves within people, and with the Midden being borne from conquered spiritual land, this concept was far from laughable. If she hadn't been damaged in the war, she could have sniffed out this beast in an instant. As things were, however, her carriage teetered from street to street, interrogating the downtrodden citizens of the Midden.

"He's in the reeds. That's where I saw him."

Her latest informant was a student from Latriva. His freckled cheeks flushed with excitement as he spoke.

"In the reeds? What, is he a frog?"

"No, no. He's a human."

"Looks like a human. There is a difference." Yeria scratched, "possible humanoid" on a piece of paper. "What else did you see? This being, what was he doing?"

"I'm not sure. I tried following him for a while but I lost him. He's some sort of a wolfman. I've only seen him at night."

"No," she clucked her tongue, "he's not a wolf. There aren't any left."

"Really? He matches my readings. But I suppose a hunter would know better... would you show me your mark? I've only ever seen one before—are they all the same?"

"No." She closed the door.

So many different accounts... but none of them had come from the villagers. Whether it was the innkeep or the orphans, they had all kept their mouths shut. Even the promise of gold had not loosened their lips. But first things first. Yeria had confirmed the existence of the creature; punishing the lying villagers would have to wait. Whether or not it lived in the Midden was a different thing but multiple strangers had seen him in the village. There was no time to set a trap tonight, not by herself. She opened the door again.

"Call your friends," she said to the student. "Help me catch the beast and you shall have its corpse for your studies. Meet me in the tavern before dinner. But I will be the one to kill it, understand?"

One way or another, Yeria would find out which hunter had spawned the crossbreed. If it did not show itself tonight, she was sure that a little coercion would pry open peoples' mouths.

Gota stopped talking suddenly putting his hand on his head, ruffling his white messy hair, unsure of what this feeling was. the tavern owner, who had been like a mother to him since his parents died, gave him a worried look "Are you alright, Go? you look like you've seen a ghost." Gota nodded sitting down "I'm...im alright Ma, I just....don't feel well I'm gonna' go lie down so I'm well enough to work dinner tonight" Gota stood walking over to his mother and kissed her forehead "Don't go worken' ya self to death now ya hear?" his mother swated at him with her hand "I know I know get on up there and rest" Gota slowly walked up the stairs smiling to himself until a sharp pain pounded his head, this was odd, his draconic blood stopped any kind of human sickness before it started, so Gota has never been..sick, as he got upstairs he sat on his bed looking out of the window at a small carriage as it entered the gate "Visitors? well....lets hope they're hungry tonight" Gota layed on his bead and fell into a deep sleep, unaware someone had come for his head.

Halfway throughout her impromptu meeting with her newfound allies, Yeria picked up a faint scent wafting from above. At first, she'd dismissed it as the stench the spirits had left behind in their retreat from the Midden. After her third glass of ale, however, she realized that the smell was getting stronger. There was no denying it. Something was hiding in the rafters.

"How many rooms does this inn have?" Yeria asked, interrupting her comrades' inspired conversation about the differences between werewolves and wolves.

"Just the ones we saw earlier."

"Five on the second floor…"

She glanced around the tavern. Between her and her posse, there were three men. There were a few serving girls sat around the tables—four in total—and two villagers. The owner sat behind the bar absentmindedly cleaning a mug. Could they take them? Storm the inn? It was four versus seven but how much combat could a serving girl have seen? Any of the villagers? The Midden was a quiet place.

"It's in here," Yeria whispered. "But do not give it away. Look at the people around you. You will need to bar the doors."

For what the students lacked in brawn, she hoped that they made up in fervor. After all, if they succeeded, they would have a priceless corpse on their hands.

"On my command. Do not speak. Bar the doors, shut the windows. Keep watch over the people." She took a deep breath then drew her pistol. Unlike her more traditional peers, Yeria found no problem in updating her gear—so long as it helped her kill monsters.

"Don't move! On my authority as a monster hunter, I charge you all with heresy if you resist me. I know of what you have hidden away in this inn. You have allowed this disease to rot away in your home—you are the cause of the ill rumours of a cross-breed. Well, this is your just reward."

With her gun, she herded the people into a corner, save for the innkeep.

"Silence! You should be grateful of my mercy. I am not come for your lives, although it would be right in the eyes of our Lord. I have come for his," she gestured upwards towards the rooms, "and you'll lead me to him, won't you? I will forgive your transgressions if you do; I am well aware of the powers these monsters may have over your minds. Where do you keep him?"

With a single trembling finger, the innkeep started up the stairs. She passed beyond the guest rooms until she came to a tapestry. Ripping it aside revealed a hidden door, upon which she knocked gently.

Gota turned as he heard the knock, he slowly opened the door and looked at the girl there

"Ah..i see you must have been in that caravan, listen here, before you do anything harsh a live cross breed is better than a corpse right?...just let me go with you and get the fuck outta my town....please, these people have taken care of me for 17 years i don't want them hurt always knew dear old dad would send someone after me, damn hunters are all the same. Ive caused no trouble but just because im part monster means i cant live my life"

Gota opened the door the rest of the way and stood in front of the girl, being 6'5 he towered over most people

"Well? do we have a deal? do not mistake my kindness for weakness girl just dont hurt my family"

Gota walks down the steps and talks to the people in the Inn

"Thank you all....we knew this day would come after that damn Lemueil killed the woman he love...a monster after she gave birth to me...please donot stand agenst her,....she will kill you"

The cowering villagers nodded not making a sound exept for the innkeep

"Goodbye son..i wish we could have kept you here"

Gota let a tear fall

"I love you..all,well girl? where are you takeing me? or is this where i die?"