The Holy Dragon Empire

Haruto Moriyama
Haruto’s laughter echoed between the trees and bushes while stirring the leaves on the ground. A cold air swept between his laughs before they stopped suddenly. Haruto seemed to stop every so often in order to make sure the hunter followed, it was like a game of cat and mouse... Not sure which was which. The forest seemed to get denser and denser the farther the two went until Haruto came to a stop in a clearing. Bushes surrounded the clearing as he turned around so he faced where the hunter would ultimately come from. A deep sigh came from his throat as several other kitsune’s surrounded him. There were young ones and old ones and middle aged ones. They all seemed to hold hostility toward Haru, the older ones were more genuine in their hatred as if experiencing it first hand, from experience.

“We told you to never come back here! Why are you here Haruto Moriyama!?” An older fox said. At the moment they were all in human form but these foxes had their tails revealed unlike Haruto. The fox that addressed him had eight tails but there were more of them than him so even if he was a nine tails he would have some difficulty taking them out. “You’re nothing but a disgrace! A mutt! What gave you the confidence to come back here?” Haruto’s face was extremely serious as compared to his usual playful antics before it morphed into the most sadistic smirk anyone had ever seen.

“I brought a friend with me...” Rings of fire ignited suddenly around one or two of the kitsune’s so they were split into groups and as much as they tried to get out the fire burned too hot. “I thought you would be dying to meet him!” Haruto’s green eyes stared and he smirked right at the spot he knew the hunter was. This was an invitation. It showed how much he cared for his own kind, how much he despised them.

“You killed them! We want nothing to do with you or your friend!” One of the children yelled in ignorance.

“Why not? You’ll meet them again soon won’t you?”

Saitou Ayumu - Qinlan, Shrine of the Spring God

The forest was eerily quiet as Ayumu followed Shichiro through the gates and towards the shrine, as though the wildlife had all fled. Something was amiss, his instincts prickling at him like cold fingers down his spine, and it took a concerted effort to keep the tension out of his jaw and shoulders and an insipid smile on his lips. The human had an inexplicable spring in his step, though Ayumu could tell from the look on his face as he smacked his lips that even he noticed the uncanny quality of the air.

Luckily, the shrine was not far. As they drew near, the scent of blood grew stronger, and the sound of crashing and crumbling began to echo through the thinning trees. This was unexpected. In years past, the so-called Spring God had been much quieter about his chaos. Perhaps it was a better idea than originally anticipated to bring along the swordsman. Upon clearing the forest and coming into view of the shrine, Ayumu paused to quickly assess what he could see. The stone columns had all been reduced to rubble, no doubt the source of all that noise. A thin haze of dust coated the shrine, and the Kitsune wrinkled his nose in disdain, wanting to sniff around for the blood but unwilling to risk the undignified sneeze that would surely follow.

In the center of the destruction, surrounded by billowing dirt and dust, stood a Tengu holding a sword quite possibly longer than Ayumu was tall.

"Did the Spring God offend you, sir?" Ayumu called out, summoning a peaceful expression onto his face. A quick assessment of the situation put him on his guard. After all, the Spring God was always the one to take offense, and never before had he left the perpetrator still standing. "And do you require any assistance?" Despite the warning of danger his instincts were humming in the back of his mind, the thrill of discovering something fun and exciting kept him around, though still ready to bolt at any sign of things getting out of hand.

@Melon Kid @Quakernuts

Kogasa Kurosawa - Qinlan, City of Naara

During the first exchange, Kogasa stands her ground and flat out responds with a; "I'm a Tengu.. Well Partly. It's second nature for most to blame ills on us, deserved or not."

Frowning a bit at the response that came next, Kogasa has nothing else to say to that. Just staring at Hitomi, Kogasa had little else to say or do as the other moved onwards with the conversation. Minus her responses at least, until the reached the topic of aging and wisdom being with age. "While some things live longer, they all die at some point Priestess. And with things as long as that it's not often of old age." A Kitsune might be a tricky sort, thieves as well, but they should know better than to risk angering a whole town, least they not live for so long.

Then again maybe the Spring God was just exceptionally lucky. Though maybe the woman was on to something. Kogasa herself knew she wasn't likely to live as long as her pure kindred and part of her wondered after seeing the situation here and the words of Hitomi, if that was such a bad thing.. That was a question for another time however, forcing her anger into a focused determination.

As the Priestess suddenly took the pastries form her, a part of her wanted to dispute all of them being taken, but she knew better, more so when the other returned with a sword in hand. This was the first time Kogasa found herself on the receiving end of the conversation. She didn't much mind following the human, begrudgingly she folded her wings, retracting them within her back, with the mask and all, she might could pass off as some form of guard. If not she would deploy her wings and the Priestess could explain things to anyone who hadn't seen her before among the city guards.

"Hmm So you want to seek out the other Kitsune?" She asks, what with Hitomi's statement on wanting to help those he would cause trouble for, truth be told, short of heading to the Shrine and hoping he was there, this may in fact be the better option. Meeting the.. gaze of the Priestess, the Tenju did at times wonder, just what happened to her.. Either way they both were servants or defenders of the faith and it's followers and to Qinlan it's self.

"Very well.. Priestess Tachibana." Pausing a bit to consider the question, Kogasa shrugs lightly, her prayer staff jiggling. "Joke or not, I don't think they'll want anything to do with foxes for awhile. I'll let you lead the way. I can carry you off for a little ways if something bad happens a bit more easily."

@EmperorsChosen

???
Qinlan, Festival Area -> Qinlan, Shrine of the Spring God

A small, snow-furred fox walked along the plains and streets of Qinlan, seeing many a child and adult play at the festival. Strapped to its back was a bamboo pipe, which might cause one to believe it was a tamed fox. Most envious of their bipedal forms and opposable thumbs, it stressed its body, concentrating every fibre of its being - bone, muscle and nerve - with raw force, only to fail once again.

It was saddened, knowing that it would not be able to assume their shape on this very day - the shape and body type of the sapient, civilization-building species of Laoa. Even if it did, would it be able to sway its tongue like they swayed theirs?

Right now, the fox could not play along the festival.

Or so it thought.

A few human cubs walked up to it and began to lift it up. For that while, a smile lit up on its face.

"He's so cute and fuzzy! We should ask mommy if we can take him home."

"No, you cannot."

Behind the man-cubs was a man-xiven, strict and fierce. She slapped the man-cub's delicate hands, causing the fox to fall onto and roll on the floor.

"Keep away from that vermin! Come now, wash your hands before doing anything else."

The fox shook the dirt off its coat, choosing to walk forward and try to get the brief encounter out of its head. Just what was the deal with that? No one has been that rude to it before.

It stopped by a local shrine. Reaching into the inside of its bamboo pipe, it took a little offering out. The identity of this offering was veiled by its wrapping - a floral decorated hankerchief. The offering in its mouth, its fangs substituting fingers, it walked towards the area.

@fish-writer @Melon Kid @Quakernuts

Qinlan, City of Naara - Rooftops
From the atop the mayor's roof, he stood perched. Feet planted firmly between the tiles as he overlooked the festivities and it's participants. Ignorance was a plenty. In truth he had stayed far too long. Longer than he ever had before. This was far from the cold. Far from the mountains. And yet here he stood. Watching the masses sing and dance. Play and panic. Unaware that blood had already been spilled. That their city was bathed in killing intent. And not merely his own. There was always an upside.

The old man who had left the mayor wreaked of death. Enjoyed it. But was there a goal? He killed the demons, but was like one himself. Disgraceful. But he himself was aware. The rooftips told much. He would chase another dealer of death. Perhaps others as well. An interesting hunt, but not his own. His prey was far less of a challenge.

"No matter the path...
It is a long, winding road...
Vengeance will be had..."

A fog had begun to descend down upon the city of Naara. None would see the armored figure, scale down the rooftops, and slipt through the window of the top floor of the mayor's estate. The mayor himself wouldn't notice...not until it was too late and a blade pressed against the back of his neck.

"A quote of wisdom:
Those that listen, wish to live
The dead died screaming..."

Nobu​

Nobu had done his work on destroying the shrine with everything that he could possibly muster. The steps and concrete were cracked and shattered, the pillars were crushed and reduced to pebbles. The bell had been dented and otherwise ensured to never ring properly again. The wooden arches were reduced to splinters and the surrounding area looked like a small tornado had gone through it. Despite his utter destruction of the shrine, he couldn’t help but still feel like he failed. In his mind, if he destroyed the point of reverence with no repercussions, he would deny the Kitsune the reverence that he had seemingly accumulated over the previous years. How a being like him was made into a god and not simply a murderer to be eradicated was beyond him. The Kitsune had gotten away though, and that was unacceptable, yet he had no way of tracking him. Sure, if he was simply running and Nobu wasn’t aware of his illusion capabilities, he might have taken after him. With the Kitsune’s skills though, there was no way to guarantee that what he was following was even real.

Nobu sniffed, flicking a thumb over his nose as he considered his options. He had yet to even fully go after the beast; the monster. He hadn’t even reverted to his true form for the fight, and the Kitsune refused to properly engage him, relying on tricks and misdirections. His opponent hadn’t wanted to fight, yet did things that made it impossible to ignore him. A hypocrisy surrounded in fur. At the very least, no one from Naara should be coming back to worship the creature. Hopefully they would then see him for what he was, a child killer. It was then he picked up the subtle sounds of footsteps, his eyes craning through the dust to witness two individuals approaching the shrine. A couple of questions were asked. Had the Spring God offended Nobu? Did he require assistance? Nobu stared at the now destroyed shrine, before sheathing his nodachi and making his way towards the newcomers.

“In short, yes he did offend me...although I would appreciate you not calling him any sort of God. He is a murderous leach, nothing more.” Nobu gave off a small smile. “Honestly, I could have used help but a few minutes ago, so your timing is only slightly off. Regardless…” Nobu paused for a moment, when he finally managed to make out the details of the two people now in front of him. The one that had asked the questions, he was very obviously a Kitsune, with the ears and tails visible, but he didn’t radiate the arrogance or malevolence of his kin. Nobu’s eyes narrowed slightly before he reminded himself that one couldn’t judge an entire race based on the actions of the few. If that were the case, he couldn’t be angry with how people treated him. Although in that situation, it was the actions of the most rather than the few, but an argument for another time.

The other...the other was the person that had brought him to this shrine to begin with. “Ah, you are the performer, yes?” Nobu stated, grabbing the belt from his shoulder with the sash attached. “I believe this is yours, correct?” Nobu asked, holding out the belt for him to inspect. While doing so, Nobu turned towards the Kitsune. “My name is Takahara Nobuhito, you may call me Nobu. I don’t wish to assume, but did you know of the being who claimed himself as the Spring God? As in...you really knew him?”

Before an answer could be given, Nobu looked over to see a small fox like creature wandering towards the shrine with something in its mouth. An oddity, for sure...maybe another illusion. Who knew with this area and the creatures populating it.

Last edited:
Saitou Ayumu - Qinlan, Shrine of the Spring God

With the excitement humming beneath his skin, Ayumu had relaxed his focus on his illusions. His black-tipped tails brushed the ground behind him, ears swiveling with alertness, and the sash around Shichiro's waist had resumed the appearance of a worn scrap of fabric. A playful grin made its way onto his face for a brief moment as Nobu presented Shichiro's actual belt before he got his expression under control.

"Saitou Ayumu," he replied smoothly to Nobu's introduction. "And this is Shichiro, the strongest swordsman in the world." He pondered the question about the Spring God briefly, recalling all of his previous experiences with the shrine. "The Kitsune who resides in this shrine and I have never been formally introduced," Ayumu said musingly. "But he is ancient, and unspeakably powerful." He had heard whispers among the Kitsune of the Spring God's real name, but they were just rumours. Mostly, other Kitsune stayed away. As a travelling priest, Ayumu would visit every year or so and leave a few offerings. The first time he had come across the shrine, he knew immediately from the scent and the spiritual energy that there was no true god here, but he could sense the power like static and dread through his nerves.

Ayumu's gaze focused again on Nobu, noticing with slight consternation that his eyes were on the ground a ways behind him. As the breeze changed direction, the scent of a new Kitsune registered, and Ayumu turned curiously to look. He didn't often encounter others of his kind face to face.

It... was tiny. A tiny white Kitsune with a bamboo pipe on its back, an offering in its mouth. A cub. Ayumu swallowed the bitterness rising in his throat at the sight of the little cub, concentrating on keeping his tails moving calmly. He didn't like cubs, didn't like families, didn't even like couples, but his own personal issues were no reason to let his vulpine instincts take over. Drawing in a long breath, he relaxed his shoulders, bleeding out the tension that had quickly clawed into his muscles, and assessed the cub objectively.

It was barely a Kitsune, likely still unable to shift into a human form, only recently sapient. But there was something about it, something divine. There was divine energy in that pipe, particularly, but it flowed over the cub as well. "Hello, little one," Ayumu greeted, his tone neutral. "I'm afraid the shrine has fallen into a bit of disrepair, and its resident doesn't seem to be home."

@Crow @Quakernuts @Melon Kid

Eiju Jia Song

As he scanned the items, this fool looked up at Eiju and her companion. Eiju maintained her 'shopkeeper' persona, and kept a straight face.

Jia, however, was already sticking her hand through his head, comically waving all about him. She giggled as she gave him bunny ears, a mohawk of fingers sticking through his head, and so on. Jia was having a blast, trying to make Eiju give away the game. It nearly distracted the shopkeeper enough to not notice the young man pick out the flute.

Her attention jerked back to him, and handled the flute carefully. Examining it as though it was priceless. Jia mimed out all the fodd she could find by sticking her head into his pack for any extra food hidden away.

"I want all the skewers you have. Maybe that apple as well."
Eiju said offhandedly. "Mmm, not the apple. It's a little bruised and I hate apples besides."

"Also, congratulations on being able to channel chi into your eyes like that!"
Jia said. "That's really hard to do! It took me a long time to master before I could even see spirits!"

"He can't hear you moron,"
Eiju mumbled. Then said more clearly, "anyway, if you-"

Eiju snapped to attention. Smelling blood from the square. Kitsune. She practically threw the items requested at the man and stood up. With the barest flick of a hand, her items were packed up and seemed to disappear. This town was not safe any longer. She moved as if step away, then thought about it.

"Instead of skewers, how about a tour of the festival, sir? Why bum food off of idiots when I can just purchase it myself. Although we should we be careful. It seems like tonight is a dangerous night."
Eiju suppressed a mischievous smile. "Though I wager if we aren't too openly non-human we might be able to leave without any worries. What do you say? Wanna tour the festival with a mysterious stranger?"

@Gen_

Onibi Haru

She is acting strangely, how did she know what he had in his pack? It was on his back and closed so what was going on? Even the condition of the apple was known. She was not human, clearly. A smirk spreads across his face, “Okay, sounds fair to me, anything else?” answering the request.

Its unlucky Onibis hearing was that of an Oni’s and not that of a human. He had caught the words she had muttered. So who was she talking to? Was it the mask or was she just crazy, potentially the shape he saw earlier? This girl was a lot more mysterious than he had first thought, he could feel his blood pumping harder. This is what he had been seeking, the unknown. She trails off as she suddenly threw the precious item at him, causing him to fall onto his butt. The goods in front of them seemingly vanished as she stood up and took a step to leave.

He felt a wave of sadness hit him as he realised she would leave, things were finally getting interesting. It wasn’t surprising, obviously she had caught onto the smell of blood that had drifted into the air. She broke his trail of thought as the request for company was made. He jumped up as he took out a shirt and wrapped the flute in it before putting it back into his bag. “non-human? Whatever would you mean?” he teased as a few steps were taken towards busiest area of the festival before spinning on his heel. “Your right tonight is a dangerous night, so are you looking for my company or a bodyguard…” he trailed off as he looked at her, the red lamps light danced across her, a bad omen maybe. “It doesn’t matter which, so lets go! I was told that ‘noodles’ are good, wonder if they have any?” he smiled at her as he started to walk with her “So what is your name?”

@Karyra

Hitomi Tachibana/Kogasa Kurosawa Collab

“Well, we could go directly to the Spring God’s Shrine but…” Murmuring on and looking in the difference, somehow, she didn’t think that would be necessary. “Besides, I’m sure there’s more than a few who have grown tired with his shenanigans… As you said, it’s second nature for many to express their woes against Tengu as a race. The Kitsune won’t be prepared, especially those living peacefully.”

“Oh, letting me lead? Well… I’ll try my best…” Giggling softly, Hitomi began to stroll forward, obviously jesting at the one with no sight leading the way.

~~

“Well you seem to see well enough.” Kogasa says with an unknown stare hidden behind the Tengu mask, well not that Hitomi could see it anyways. As the pair leave from the temple to patrol the streets, trouble seems to be brewing not too far away. A band of ruffians, or a mob of some sort was forming, with most of the festival goers ignoring them and whatever angry demonstration was going on at the far off street corners.

“YEAH! The Kitsune are just trouble! No better than the Oni or the Tengu!”
“They were supposed to be our guardians!”
“That’s the third child this month!”

It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure where this all was going, and it sure wasn’t the Moon.

~~

“Mm… Perhaps. Not in the way you do though,” Hitomi replied with a smile.

Making their way to the streets, most of the people were enjoying the festival, but there was a group with growing animosity. Even before reaching the group could Hitomi sense the spite in the air.

“It’s spreading fast…” The priestess remarked. “The festival today is keeping most’s spirits high.”

The festival was keeping the mobs at a minimum. Most people didn’t want to worry about such negative things as death or abductions on such an occasion, especially the tourists that came here simply for the festivities. Once the event was over however…

“...If the Spring God isn’t caught or run out at the very least, I fear life will become much more problematic for the Kitsune here,” Hitomi stated with a frown.

Even if they were to confront the mobs; try to explain who was responsible, who they should be angry at if anyone, it would likely be pointless. Grief and fear held them firmly. She recalled when she was struck with such anger. For so long she had spit in the hands that offered help and blamed all but who was responsible.

~~

“Well, I rather doubt he stayed here, just a funny feeling I’ve got, that is if the Kitsune behind it was ever the spirit of that shrine.” She says with conjecture, turning her head to explain it more she raises a hand.

“I felt that a battle of some sort may have taken place, call it intuition from running the roads this long.”

Looking at the small mob, she wasn’t sure what exactly to do about them, if anything for now.

“We could scout around and bring in any Kitsune for the time being, or I could take to the sky and see if I can spot our Spring God, I can cover a lot of ground, but then its the problem of going back for you. We could also go back to the Shrine, but as we both said, it’s not likely we’ll find much.”

~~

“Spotting him would be a fool’s errand. I would be more equipped to locate him… however…” Glancing off in the distance, Hitomi could faintly feel a melting pot of Chi, different and conflicting. Whether there out of prayer or anger, they were not first to think to seek out the shrine. Very likely, the Spring God wasn’t there any longer and finding him amongst all the others there would be problematic. “In regards to him, we might be better waiting. If he returns to the shrine, I will know with a simple visit. If he possesses the gall to enter into the city, I will know if he enters the vicinity.”

If he was foolish enough to return, they could deal with it then. For now, however, their focus was best diverted elsewhere.

Sighing, it didn’t leave them with many options.

“Unless we wander into a street fight, our best choice might simply be finding Kitsune and offering them shelter or giving them warning.”

~~

“Fine, we can just walk the streets till we get lucky I guess, I assume you’ll be able to sense oddities or a Kitsune if we actually see one.” Kogasa says blankly. Not being pleased with the options, she would rather be proactive, but for now this would just have to do.

“Well, I could pick you up and fly us if you trust your detection skills that much.. And of course for me to not drop you Priestess.”

~~
“Oh, I would be highly surprised if I couldn’t. Most who hide themselves do so from physical senses. They don’t much care to worry about a human identifying them through Chi.” Glancing towards the mob of disgruntled people, the priestess strolled past them and through the streets. “Tomorrow might be suitable to do it your way… less distraction…”

Muttering that last part, the Priestess’s meaning was regarding the group presence over in the direction of the shrine. Assuming they weren’t there for a simple visit, the Spring God was likely already being confronted for his deeds. If they didn’t catch or deal with him today, the two of them could attempt to within the next few days once he’s likely to have taken a breather.

“...I don’t think it’ll be too long.”

Murugan grimaced against the flood of dirt and grit that pelted the front of his body, borne by a feverish gust that had blown from the south with no signs of abating for some time. Coarse grains scraped the skin of his exposed, weathered face as they settled into every crease and fold. He held his expression fixed, and as uncomfortable as it made him seem he knew the slightest change would only make it more painful. The sensation, like tiny embers settling on his skin and lightly stinging before they burned out, continued to wash over him as he leaned into the relentless wind. Nothing about this was pleasant, and the only hope he currently had of release was to keep going.

As much as he wished the dust storm would simply sweep him away much as it stripped off the dry, barren Honjo topsoil like dead skin, he knew his current traveling companions would find him again no matter how he might escape. There was no avoiding the debt they intended to collect. Murugan’s deepest regret in all of this was that it was misfortune of his own making. That, and the fact it might still be the end of him despite his plans.

Alongside him lumbered Kanbo, the russet-colored oni that was the leader of this gang. He and the five other oni accompanying him seemed to be faring much better against the elements than Murugan, no doubt because of their supernaturally hardy constitution. There were four beastfolk traveling with them as well, some sort of jackal breed. Although they were not keeping up as well as the oni, Murugan still envied them for the protection afforded by their tawny fur.

“Cheer up, Murugan,” Kanbo’s voice boomed through the low wail of the wind directly behind and to Murugan’s left. ”If what you say is true, there isn’t much left until we reach this secret boneyard. And if not, we may just decide to cut or losses and head back with your bones instead.”

The oni chuckled, but Murugan knew it was more a threat than a genuine attempt at humor. The bone raider and his crew had made it clear that if he failed to keep his promises it would cost him his life. After several lackluster bone finds that barely netted them a profit back in the capitol, Murugan was buying as much time as he could on this excursion. One way or another, he would not be making the journey back this time. The only thing that remained to be seen was if events played out in his favor or not.

“I assure you, master Kanbo, what awaits us ahead will be worth all our efforts.” Murugan strained his voice to be heard above the driving wind but did not turn to face the oni. The feigned subservience of a slave was hard enough to muster in the best of circumstances, and it tested every bit of his composure to defer to the loathsome ogre out in these blasted wastes.

The oni huffed indignantly as they continued to tread across the withered, lifeless plain. One of the beastfolk approached Kanbo from the side. “Boss, it’s been a while since we stopped to camp and take water. It’s hard to tell with this wind, but I think I catch the scent of a small stream back towards the way we came.”

“Interesting. Our trusted guide and fortune teller didn’t say anything about being close to water a few hours ago. Why could that be?” The oni stopped in his tracks, the beastman following suit. Murugan plodded on for a few more weary, pained steps before pausing. He didn’t need to turn around to know the two of them were glaring suspiciously in his direction. None of them had trusted Murugan even when he was able to lead them to the bones they wanted. As his rate of success had lagged more recently, the gang barely bothered to mask their contempt and hostility toward the diviner.

Murugan swayed where he stood, struggling to breathe deep without inhaling dust into his nostrils. They were close to the destination, and he wondered if in his current weary state he could play this out to the end without them killing him. It might have been a fool’s gambit from the beginning, but he would be damned if they suddenly decided to turn back now.

Perhaps I am damned already, and it is hell that awaits me ahead. He brushed away the errant thought from his mind, blaming it on the rigors of the journey. Reminding himself of its purpose, Murugan focused on the predicament at hand.

“My fine fellows,” he turned and gave a wry smile to the two beings eying him. “As much as I dearly wish there was a place to take provisions nearby, I’m afraid there isn’t. I know this country well from the time I was a child, and there are no sources of water on this leg of our journey. Luckily, it will only be a short while before we reach the boneyard my divinations indicated. There we may camp and take a much needed rest when we acquire what we came for.”

Murugan was not counting so much on his charm, which had worn thin at this point, as their eagerness to reach the end of a long, arduous journey. Reminding them they would soon have their promised reward was the surest, and only, incentive he could offer now.

Kanbo glared broodingly at the diviner, clearly intent on tearing him apart if the oni didn’t get what he wanted. After a moment of contemplation, he raised his eyes from beneath a jutting brow to the path ahead.
“Very well. We’ll keep following what the fortune teller says since we’re in his homeland. We can take camp before heading back with the bones.”

Murugan nodded slightly to the oni and ignored the look of scorn from the beastman as he stalked off to join the others. While Murugan might be no better than a lowly slave to them, his understanding of their ceaseless desire for wealth was still something of an advantage.

“A wise decision, master. I assure you that more than my price in bones will be fetched from what awaits you.”

After walking for close to an hour, they came to a small valley tucked into the mantle of the plain. Nestled among low hills, it was just the sort of place where a stream might flow. It was clear that was not currently the case, but any bone trader worth his salt would know that in wetter seasons it would collect water for a time. And such a collection of water would attract living creatures until it was gone. Once those creatures in search of water had nothing to drink, their inevitable end would leave only one thing. The very bones the gang was searching for now.

“We are here,” Murugan proclaimed gravely as the travelers settled along the crest of the nearest bare hill. The wind had finally died down, and now it was nothing but a faint moan off in the distance. Light was beginning to fade from the bleak, cloudless sky above them, making it fortuitous they had arrived when they did.

As the others heaved sighs of relief and began to unpack gear from the large carts towed by some of the oni, Murugan kept silent and glanced around grimly even as they began to relax for the evening.

“The spot seems promising, fortune teller. Maybe you were worth keeping around after all.” Kanbo peered down approvingly at Murugan, no longer as distrusting now that he and his men could begin raking the valley for signs of bones.

Murugan made no reply, only gazing at a hill up ahead before taking slow steps away from the oni. “My lord.. this direction was foretold of most auspiciously in my divinations. Might I suggest you begin surveying there?”

Kanbo set out ahead, no longer really interested in following behind Murugan to keep a close eye on him. The diviner kept pace as best as he could with the towering oni, losing sight of his hulking form briefly as he rounded the hill’s base.

Reaching the other side, Murugan saw Kanbo peering across a section of the valley floor that spread wide and flat before being cut off by a long, low ridge. This would be the best place to camp and process bones. Kanbo bellowed to the others over the hill and a handful came running with equipment.
The ground beneath their feet was covered with a layer of brown-grayish dust that shifted and puffed in tiny wisps with every step. Oni and beastfolk alike began to attack the dirt all around with picks, shovels, and other tools. The strength of the oni would make it short work, so Murugan hung back and watched while tracing a rough perimeter of the site as he observed. Walking out to a spot halfway between the workers and where Kanbo had gone ahead, he spotted a line of irregularly shaped stones abreast of where the oni now stood. Murugan stooped to look at the nearest stone and placed his palm against its porous surface. A single row of symbols and sigils had been painted in chalk white along one side, curving to continue across the adjoining stone and stretching down the rest of the line. Following with his eyes, Murugan could see the stones arcing out further and connecting with a larger, carved stone set at a distant corner of the valley. More stones succeeded on the opposite side of the stone marker and linked it with a larger circle that could not fully be glimpsed from were Murugan currently was.

A strange sight to be sure, but had Kanbo noticed? Murugan quickly discovered that his attentions were elsewhere as a beastman came running with something jagged and black grasped in one hand. He could be barely overheard as he spoke to Kanbo.

“So you found some bones, and what?” Kanbo’s annoyed utterance carried across the valley.

“Yes, boss. But the thing is... they’re all burned. And these bones, they look human. There’s loads of them buried in ash just below the dirt. Been there for years, by the looks of it.”

Murugan next heard Kanbo’s loud steps as he strode over to him. Murugan did not stand or look at the oni despite noting his rising temper from his breathing growing quicker and heavier in frustration.

“What is the meaning of this? I didn’t have you bring me all the way out here just to find a bunch of burned, useless human bones. What is this place, fortune teller?”

Murugan’s palm remained pressed against the stone, grasping it without touching the markings. “It was a temporary village years ago. People lived here. My people. Until everything burned and they died. Because of people like you.”

Kanbo growled, reaching down to easily hoist Murugan off his feet. Gripping the back off his neck in one huge hand, the oni brought him close to his face. The hot breath from his flared nostrils fanned across Murugan’s forehead, his eyes blazing at the man as his snubbed horns nearly grazed the smaller ones of the diviner’s headdress.

“This was a trick. To keep your pathetic life and waste my time. Well, now you get to die in this ruin of a village that your miserable kind called home.”

With his free hand, Kanbo reached around to take a heavy iron club that was strapped to his back. The weapon was easily as tall and broad as Murugan. He watched calmly as the oni raised it above both their heads.

“Perhaps you are right, Kanbo. But take a ‘fortune teller’ for his word on this. More than one person is going to die here tonight.”

Murugan looked down at his own hand, dangling limply at his side. Still held in its grasp was the stone, plucked from the section of the divine barrier it had kept in place. The writing on the other stones flashed a pale, ghostly blue, circumscribing the entire circle branching across the foothills before fading into the dim twilight around them. A low rumbling was heard beneath their feet and the voices of the crew who were out of sight rose in alarm.

All at once, an unearthly howling filled the air and darkness descended on all sides. Kanbo was momentarily distracted by the chaos and only looked back when the beastman next to him was snatched away by a massive skeletal arm that lashed through the dark overhead. Both he and Murugan saw the yowling beastman flung helplessly high into the air. As he sailed over the top of the nearest hill, an impossibly huge skull, empty sockets ports of impenetrable shadow, loomed into view. Its fleshless jaws and bared teeth closed around the jackal, who disappeared within as Kanbo and Murugan watched in horror.

More oni and beastmen came running to their position, but halted in their tracks as the malevolent spectre pulled itself over the side of the hill with both arms. The giant skeleton’s spine ended abruptly with no hips or legs suspended beneath. The cavernous rib cage that was its torso hunkered down and the skull gnashed it’s teeth wildly, clattering with a hollow, thunderous sound. Before any could flee, a knotted hand with fingers like temple pillars swept through the throng and scattered them as they were sent tumbling.

Kanbo hurled Murugan down at last, but did not divert his malice from the diviner. The oni whipped his club around to send it crashing into his prone target on the ground. The skeleton Yōkai had continued to assault the camp, however, and one of its blows caught Kanbo in the lower legs. The oni stumbled, and instead of landing his blow squarely on Murugan’s back the club went wide so that only one of the spikes that studded its length gouged the diviner’s side when it thudded against the earth. Murugan wailed in pain as Kanbo roared, enraged. The oni was quickly plucked up by two of the skeleton’s fingers and dragged away, his screams fading into the tumult that tore through the gloom in every direction as the Yōkai mercilessly annihilated the crew.

Murugan knew he was lucky that the oni’s club had not shattered his ribs, but the tear it had made in his side was still bleeding and gnawing at him with a pain that shortened his breaths. Consciousness was slowly leaving him as his senses became overwhelmed, but he could not falter if he ultimately wanted to make it out alive.

Crawling cautiously and trying to stay low to the ground, Murugan sidled toward the stone circle. The piece he had kept in his hand was still intact, and he hoped the inscription that imbued it with divine arts would still be effective. Nearing the gap he had made in the circle, Murugan carefully lowered it back into place to restore its original configuration.

A deafening keening pierced the air before an eerie silence broke out. As he collapsed from exhaustion, Murugan no longer heard the terrible thrashings of the Yōkai. The only sounds that came to his ears through the still darkness were the muted sounds of agony from the still living who would soon expire from the slaughter he had unleashed. Content that they would be unable to harm him, Murugan closed his eyes and succumbed to oblivion.

———————————————————

Murugan came to before the sun had fully set. All was quite around him, and there were no sounds of other survivors stirring. If any had somehow made it out alive they had most likely fled in terror and would be claimed by the wastes before reaching the capitol. Murugan would be presumed dead or beyond saving, and it was unlikely they would search for him anytime soon.

He almost felt at peace, but was reminded by the pain in his side that all was not well yet. Murugan slowly brought himself to a sitting position and then got on his feet with some difficulty. He gingerly probed the torn flesh below his ribs and winced when his touch brought forth a new trickle of warm blood. Staggering weakly, he made it to a hill on the opposite end of the valley whose position sheltered one side from the wind. There, his hopes were answered when he found something that had existed there even before the villagers were killed and their remains covered by years of dust. Like the circle of stones that priests had set to contain the horror he had unleashed there in his younger days, this hillside helped him to forget his greatest mistake for the time being and feel thankful that not everything out on the plains led to death and destruction.

Short stalks of yarrow carpeted the hill, strong enough to survive the driest seasons. While the plants were not in bloom, Murugan could still use them to make medicine to treat his wound and staunch any further bleeding. After walking back to the wrecked camp and claiming an unbroken water skin and what other basic supplies he could find, Murugan sat down to start a fire and boil the ingredients he had gathered. He would rest during the night and contemplate his next actions. The dead silence in the wake of the Yōkai attack afforded him precious time to think about how to exercise his new freedom.

He sat posed in meditation and bathed by the firelight for several hours until the polstice on his wound was well set. Murugan’s deep concentration was abruptly broken by the sound of soft padding footsteps in the dirt coming closer. He opened one eye to peer through the night at the sound’s source, not wanting to make any sudden movements without knowing the nature of what approached. All Murugan saw was the glint of two small eyes reflecting the light of the fire. They blinked several times and swayed low to the ground as if something was sniffing there, but without getting close enough to make out the shape of the creature. Judging from its apparent size and behavior it was most likely a fox.

Unsure of how to react given the dormant supernatural forces he knew were present, Murugan stayed quiet and did not move. He had never fully seen the thing that wiped out the village, and the skeleton Yōkai was presumably only a kind of conjuration to mock him for what he had done. Still, he could not rule out a Kitsune being responsible all along. Given their tendencies, it would not be out of character for one to try and trick him even now in this way.

Keeping its distance, the animal’s eyes winked out and disappeared to be replaced by another glow. An azure flame lit the dark, outlining a long, thin shape that seemed to hover in midair. Suddenly, the flaming object dropped and its luminescence grew so dim as to be barely visible. Murugan got up and walked over with trepidation clouding his mind. The object was at his feet, but there was no sign of the creature who left it. The fox had either dashed off silently into the night or completely vanished. Looking closer at what it had discarded, Murugan might have been shocked if not for what he had already seen.

There on the ground, still faintly glowing blue, was a leg bone. He could not be sure what kind it was, but Murugan strongly suspected it to be canine. Without hesitation, he reached down and grabbed it, the last of its cold light fading as it touched his skin.

Qinlan, outside Naara

A few days later, Murugan had traveled outside Honjo and made his way into Qinlan. The festival season traffic had made it fairly easy to cross the borders among inconspicuous company. Luckily, Murugan was also able to trade the few supplies he had salvaged for more useful items along the way. He had since struck out on his own and was en route to Naara.

If anyone had asked his purpose for traveling there, Murugan would be obliged to make a creative excuse. They would think him mad if he confessed the true reason he was heading toward the capitol. Thankfully, both the people and the climate in Qinlan were much more hospitable than in Honjo. No one thought to ask many questions of a traveler on the main roads, even one from another country.

Murugan thanked whatever gods or spirits that might be listening he had been able to keep a low profile and make good time on his journey. He had things to consider that consumed his every waking moment with apprehension and uncertainty. All his current worries were tied not to his troubled past in Honjo, but the most important thing he had carried with him before escaping.

The single bone sat before him now, next to a small fire and a boiling pot filled with brackish water. Murugan had been camping out temporarily in a forested area near Naara. There were preparations he would have to make to be fully ready before proceeding. Keeping his eyes trained on the fox bone, Murugan remembered the inscription that appeared along it in blue flame whenever he held it and concentrated. If he could believe it was true, the power and knowledge it spoke of would change him forever. Still, there was no reason to rush headlong into the unknown without first having the necessary tools in his arsenal.

Nearly finished with the task at hand, Murugan would be heading into the city soon. At the base of a nearby tree, he unearthed the carcass of a venomous snake he had killed and buried when he first established camp there a few days previous. Decay had begun to set in, bringing a pungent odor to his nose that mingled with the plant extracts he had used to anoint it. The snake carcass was sufficiently moldy to use for the particular poison he wanted, although its potency might not be as ideal as if he had waited longer. It would have to do for now, time being of the essence.

Murugan crushed the dry, blackened remains of the snake with his iron divining rod. Scooping the powdery debris with a small turtle shell, he then dumped it into the boiling pot. After its contents stewed for a while, he ladled out a portion with the shell and soaked ten shards of the snake’s shattered ribs in the foul-smelling concoction. After they were dry, Murugan carefully gathered the makeshift darts up and wrapped them in a thick cloth that also contained his blowgun.

Now he was all set, and carried the things he had prepared in his travel bag slung over his hip as he made to enter the city. The main gates were choked with the comings and goings of festival celebrants and the city’s usual inhabitants. Despite the happy occasion, the atmosphere and chatter throughout the public space was curiously hostile and disturbed. Murugan wondered to himself what trouble the fox’s bone was leading him into.

I heard mention that there are Kitsune frequently active in this area. The bone suggested I should seek a link to Honjo, however. All this commotion may only complicate things now that I am here.

Reaching into his bag as he tried to navigate through the noisy crowd, Murugan pulled out the bone he had brought from Honjo. It had not glowed with the strange fire again since he had entered Qinlan per its recommendations. He wondered if it would give any other hints as to the quest he must undergo.

As if in answer, the bone flickered to life with azure flame in his hand. The fire was not so bright as to draw attention from someone otherwise occupied, and it gave off no heat to the touch. There were no signs or figures that Murugan could discern through the flames, so he looked up to scan the crowd for anything unusual that might be happening in his surroundings. He was undoubtedly in the right place, but it remained to be seen just how he could proceed from here.

@EmperorsChosen @RedArmyShogun

Bao Zhao
Bao couldn't seem to sleep that night at all. She tossed and turned to the rhythm of the howling wind while kicking the blankets off of her. Her eyes cracked open a bit while staring at the old roof and giving an annoyed sigh. She laid there for a second before sitting up. In her head there was no point in staying here when things could be done so she got up, dressed, and ready to go. Her delicate fair hand grabbed the katana while hiding it under her kimono. It was a beautiful katana. Its handle was a simple black adorned with a tussle. Definitely deadly as well. She also grabbed a black scarf on her way out. Unfortunately, her eyes did not glance at her mother at all.

Bao was currently walking the streets alone but staying hidden in the shadows as well. Once she reached the end of the town her head turned to look around before walking down the path that led out toward the unclaimed land of the wilderness. Her hand grabbed the scarf and wrapped it around the lower half of her face so nothing but her eyes stared back. Then faster than the blink of an eye, she had disappeared from the path. She hid in the trees for a second to make sure no one followed her then proceeded toward a very tiny shrine. It was just a lamp post, a stone one with a light inside. It cast a few shadows on the ground. Her brown eyes took notice of the small paper and the sack of money sitting on its edge. Bao grasped it then opened it to reveal a name and the most recent place they had been seen.

MURUGAN - AROUND NAARA

Bao practically let out a scoff while grabbing the money and burning the paper in the fire of the lantern.

"Not even and last name or a definite place..." She knew the hardest part was going to be finding this person so that's what she set out to do. Her mother would be left alone for a while but there was food and necessities at the house so she wasn't worried, though she should have been because the gods have a horrible sense of humor.

Glancing about as they patrolled, Kogasa is hit by a rather odd smell and an equally odd sight. Was that.. a gold skinned man in odd clothes, holding up a bone that was engulfed in dark fire...?

Blinking twice and then removing her mask to be sure of what she was seeing. No one else seemed to notice the bone or the strange man, but then again it wasn't really blazing so much as a slight glow. Thinking on it and with the dress, was he some sort of mage or priest from another land? She had never seen a person like him and even that aside her gut feeling said to investigate more.

Turning to the Priestess, Kogasa gives a little tug on Hitomi's had, point her towards the newcomer. "I don't think he's involved with any of this but I also don't think we should walk away and leave him to his own devices, let me know what you see in him.. Other than that, I think I'll go say hello." Gazing at the man, had this been a bandit camp she would mark him as a person of importance to be killed first.. But he didn't seem to be a bandit, no one had died yet after all. Removing her mask partly, the woman peers at the man with half her face, red eyes and pointy ears showing.

"Hello there Traveler, an interesting...object you have there. I am Kogasa, a guardian of those who travel the roadways." She says in way of introduction, leaving Hitomi out of it, it would be better if the priestess introduced herself and that the two not seem so clearly together if things went badly all of a sudden. Being closer to the man, the strange smells had been coming from him, or rather the sacks he carried.

"Do you need any help?"

She asks, hands near her blades but not on them, either way the man seemed human which was comforting, at first she wondered if he was one of the Guardian statues came to life.

@EmperorsChosen @Auntie Phaz

Last edited:
Hitomi Tachibana - Qinlan

Humming to herself as the two patrolled, it wasn't for too long until they paused. For Kogasa, it was a strange sight beholden to her. Hitomi however simply raised a brow in confusion in response to the tug. Being pointed towards the person of interest to her, suddenly Hitomi felt blind once again, not understanding the interest.

Nodding at Kogasa's suggestion, Hitomi concentrated on her senses, however even her special kind of sight didn't reveal any of what the Tengu was likely hoping for. There were plenty of people wandering about and the man of whom was Kogasa's focus was just another one of them. He wasn't particularly extraordinary, at least going off his Chi. He was Human. He was alive. Other than that, what seemed to be in his possession was of more intrigue; the faint signature of a Kitsune, albeit it was strange. It was as if—it wasn't a whole one, or one at all.

The priestess had remained a few spaces away as Kogasa approached, but after a few moments took a few steps toward him as well. As she grew closer, she could smell herbs and the like coming from the man's person, though that still wasn't as interesting as the bone in his hand.

"Pardon~" Hitomi entered into the conversation, performing a slight bow in introduction. "I am Hitomi, caretaker of one of the local shrines."

Smiling brightly, Hitomi gripped her own blade by its sheath, holding it perpendicular with herself in front of her thighs. Her eyes opened as she raised herself once again, presenting to anyone who looked that those small, blank orbs in her head were little more than decoration now. Nonetheless, they gazed directly up into the eyes of the man in front of her as if good as new.

"I apologize if this is a bit forward, but that item of yours caught my eye," She stated straightforwardly, fully aware of how awfully ironic the statement was. "Could you tell me what it is?"

@RedArmyShogun @Auntie Phaz

Last edited:
??? - Qinlan, Shrine of the Spring God

"Kn kn... (I see...)" the young fox replies, "Kon. (I'll go ahead and leave my offering here then. But before I leave... I have questions about this town. I haven't really seen too many of my brethren around, and they're the only ones I can speak to. This town, it's a good sight, but something about it makes me feel... rejected.)"

Only fellow foxes would know the sway of its tongue. All other beings would intepret these words as what the fox says.

The young fox places its offering where it should be.

"Kon. (This town... what is their relationship with foxes?)"

@Quakernuts @Melon Kid @fish-writer

Hajime - Qinlan, City of Naara(Festival Grounds)

Hajime skipped happily through the festival grounds with candied apple in hand, her twintails dancing in the joy and celebration. She bit into it with each step while softly singing. Accompanying her was Tyrant's Maw, her best friend and farming rake whose identity was veiled in rags and hung from her back as if it was an instrument.

"It's OK to be alone because I'm too young to have a boyfriend~ All these sweets are just as sweet if I eat them alone~"

This wide festival area seemed to have an endless line of activities, food items and more. Qinlan was a hub for all the nations, including Wuxan which they had rejected. The crowd was to be expected. Her parents were hosting stores selling fried vegetable snacks and sugarcane drinks, so she thought that she would drop by.

"Huh?"

She looked around, swearing that she felt something familiar from the rooftops, only to see not a soul. In her listlessness, she accidentally bumped into some people - a pair of patrollers, to be precise. She rose up and repeatedly bowed.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'll be more careful next time!"

She then turned to see the golden-skinned man's flaming bones. Flinching once more, she took a few steps back and fell on her bum for the second time.

"Atatata...."

As she scratched her head, her instincts as a timid little woman stopped and her wisdom of old chimed in as she uttered to herself under her breath, "a shaman from Honjo, I would assume. There's something about him... whether that concerns me is another story."

@MasterPastry

@EmperorsChosen @RedArmyShogun @Auntie Phaz @Kyatto

Qinlan, city of Naara

It wasn’t long before Murugan was approached by someone from the crowd. Not just an ordinary someone, either. The female figure appeared to be a Tengu, albeit one that was trying to blend in subtly with the more pedestrian types around them. Even as she politely greeted Murugan, however, he could tell she was guarded from her cautious stance and the way she looked at him half-behind her mask.

“Greetings, guardian” He could not be sure of her intentions at this point, but was aware that he needed to compensate for his unusual appearance and the object in his hand that had seemingly grabbed her attention. “How fortunate that you are here. I am a traveler from... distant lands. My name is Murugan, and I was looking for some assistance with this unique relic.”

He couldn’t give away too much about himself this early in a new place, but trying to hide the obvious would only serve to draw suspicion. Looking down at the bone, it’s glow had ceased completely while he spoke with Kogasa.

Another woman, this one human and young in appearance, walked over now and also seemed curious about the bone. Murugan stowed the bone into his bag once more, thinking it wise to keep it there if it attracted attention even from those who could not physically see.

“Lovely to meet you, Hitomi. I am Murugan. A sort of cleric myself, really.” They gave no strong indications of being associates, but it seemed too much of a coincidence that they were both here separately. If this Tengu was especially chivalrous, it might be accompanying the blind priestess in her travels true to their introductions. But Hitomi had a fine sword of her own, suggesting she had the ability, or at least certainly the willingness, to defend herself.

For the time being, Murugan would remain alert but play along with their curiosity. This city was doubtlessly full of all kinds of people, some that might take an interest in the strange bone that ran parallel to his.

Murugan bowed back to Hitomi, remaining courteous even though he was puzzled by her choice of words in query. He supposed it didn’t matter even if he outwardly balked, given her condition.

“As I was telling Kogasa here, I have something mystical in nature that I found. It appears to be a bone, but from what sort of creature I’m not entirely sure. My hope was that someone might provide me with answers here in Naara.”

He looked from Hitomi to Kogasa and back again, closely watching both now that he had them engaged. “Do either of you know anything that could be of help?”

Out of the corner of his eye he spotted a young girl sitting on the ground and gawking at their exchange. Not wanting to be distracted, he paid her no mind. He would wait to see if the others steered the conversation there before showing concern. The answers he was needing would come before all else.

@RedArmyShogun @EmperorsChosen @Crow

Really? Just the kitsune? Look at aaall these undesirables, walking around like they own the place. Tengu, oni, beast-folk, they're all the same. A bunch of filthy, violent thugs who think they can mingle into human society. Those fools at the royal palace are even considering, god-forbid, open borders - we have to show the people what we stand for. And we won't stand for this, that's for certain. Let's take this a little further, shall we? Otherwise. . .

The mayor sat motionless in his chair, a cold sweat running down his brow. His hands were folded, his eyes stared ahead into nothing as the conversation played again and again in his mind. It was true, the often peaceful city of Naara was having a kitsune problem as of late. But the woman who spoke to him, she spoke of something else. Something vile. An agent of Tiansheng - under Ia's rule, only humans would remain and the others. . . well, they would either be eradicated or enslaved. Or worse.

And she wanted him to make that first push. To remove the 'undesirables,' so to speak. That fox hunter was bad news, he knew, but what choice did he have? What choice!? He had to submit, he HAD to! Because if he did not get on their good side, as a border country they would be among the first to be crushed under Tiansheng's banner. War was coming, what he did was merely act in the interest of peace, that's all. He squeezed his eyes shut, and willed away the horrific visions in his head.

I must keep Naara safe--

Suddenly, his body froze. Cold steel pressed against his throat, and for a moment he could only hear his own dogged breaths as the din the of the fair faded into muddled chatter. Like a drum struck with tremendous force his heart pounded as though it would burst, each pulse felt like it was smashing into his ribs. Slowly, the man opened his eyes and turned to face the assassin. His throat was dry and his senses were hazy but the creature standing before him was eerily clear. His eyes locked with the dark sockets of its mask and he swallowed.

"If you must kill me, then do so," he breathed at length, his hand trembling against the wooden surface of his desk. "But before then, there is something you - no, all the citizens of this city must know. Before it is too late."

Shichiro took the belt. "Yeah, that's. . ."

He blinked a few times. Didn't this just happen? Looking down at his waist, he saw that his clothes remained unchanged - a simple cord held his pants up, as he had tied so earlier. Huh. Must be imagining things, that rock did hit his head awfully hard. With a shrug, he made to fasten his belt once more, glancing up a few times to tune in to the conversation.

"Performer? No way," he scoffed, shaking his head. Giving the sash an extra tight pull to make sure it doesn't come off again, he continued, pointing his finger at the tengu. "I got scammed, that's what happened. That smug old lady better fork over double or I'm gonna. . ." He scratched the back of his head. "I dunno. Take it up with the mayor or something."

Shichiro instinctively lifted a foot up, hearing a pattering of paws.

"Whoa, hey, maybe don't get near that thing," he warned Ayumu, taking a defensive pose at the small fox cub. "It might have rabies." But as he looked down, he noticed something strange. A dense, white fog seeped between the trees of the woods, hugging closely to the ground. It seemed to spread quickly - too quickly for it to be anything natural, probably. Well, maybe. He didn't really pay attention at the academy.

"Is that. . . normal?" he asked the others, gesturing toward the low smoke that was now starting to creep up the base of the shrine.

"Hoh?" The hunter took in the peculiar - yet tantalizing sight before him. Kitsune were not often very social with their own kind and were travelers by heart, it was rare to see such a gathering in one place. Clans among the kitsune were scarcely documented, surely such rare grounds would be of interest to scholars and the like.

Unfortunately, Toh was no scholar. And seeing such great bounty before him, he decided it was time to stop playing around. After all, he did not want a single one getting away.

"To think that your true desire was to die amongst your kin. I commend your noble wish, and worry not. . ." The hunter muttered something under his breath and flung out dozens upon dozens of talismans with a single flick of the wrist. They shot out at blinding speed, encircling the clearing with a rush of wind behind them until they created a wide ring of floating seals, each standing vertically roughly four feet above the soil.

With a pipe between his teeth, he grinned. ". . . it will be granted shortly."

The smoke that drifted behind the old man caught up and obscured him in its mist, now beginning to engulf the clearing.

@MasterPastry @fish-writer @Quakernuts @Kyatto @Crow

??? - Qinlan, Shrine of the Spring God

"Kon kon? (Who's that? And why can't I use- oh, those must be magic jammers! They must be negating the supernatural. Then I'll just have to...)"

The man's words were heavy, like lead on a sinking boat.

"Kn? (He's going to kill us on this sacred ground? I'm too young to die... which is why I have to do it!)"

The young fox concentrates, suppressing as much of its supernatural nature so that it could gain a significantly more resistance. This meant, for this period, abandoning the concept of thought, the concept of reason, and all things related to sapience. For this period, it had abandoned whatever little nature it had of being an intelligent, supernatural being and assumed the full state of a feral beast of instinct.

"HSSSSSSSAAAAAAA!!!!"

The fox now bared its fangs, jumping and charging forward in an attempt to rip the talismans to shreds with teeth and claw.

@Melon Kid @fish-writer @Quakernuts @Kyatto @MasterPastry

Haru Moriyama
Haru bared his teeth a bit in frustration while closing his eyes a bit. He wasn't in the mood to fight right now but nothing else came to mind. The fellow foxes screamed in fear and anger at him so he put them out of their misery by slowly burning them to ash so the hunter could not collect their tails.

"You're a demon! You killed your own parents all those years ago!" That was the last thing one of them said as his bright green eyes held a certain bloodlust to them showing he didn't care one bit about them. Haru wasn't most kitsune that was for sure.

"I'd rather die among the Tengu." He smirked a bit as the fire chased after the trees. They lit up like torches and spread like wildfire. This wasn't something that was going to be put out so easily by water either, and escaping it would surely be difficult. Even if this hunter could stop foxfire it had turned into an average fire, not even that it was a wildfire at this point. Despite the situation, Haru stood strong and stared blankly at the hunter. He almost seemed like an illusion. So still and quiet while practically staring into the hunter's soul. "Do you have a name? I prefer to know the name's of the people I've killed and it's no different for my killer." His lips formed a thin line before speaking again. "You already know mine, Haruto Moriyama." It was ironic because his last name meant mountain guardian and there was indeed a set of mountains a little ways away from where they were. He seemed different in that moment, nicer, more emotionally damaged than people thought. Then it disappeared as a smoky branch broke the circle and his sadistic smirk returned. A fox with nine tails replaced his human form before disappearing into the woods once more. The message he sent was clear, 'Not today'. He wasn't dying today or tomorrow but perhaps when he reached old age.

Who knows where he went, but he knew he'd have to be more sneaky after meeting this hunter.
Bao Zhao
Bao took the path toward Naara like any average citizen. Her katana obscured from view and the scarf with it. Occasionally she'd come across merchants and warriors but her voice said nothing to reply to them. From her memory, Naara was an older town where deer roamed and the people were friendly for the most part.

"I wonder if the town has changed at all..." As she looked up toward the sky a voice interrupted her thoughts.

"What's a pretty thing like you doing all the way out here." Her eyes rolled immediately before turning around and playing innocent.

"I-I got lost! I have-have no idea where I am!" They seemed to fall for it as smirks crossed their faces. She'd travel with these ones for a while then kill them for supplies when they least expected it. That was how this worked. Kill or be killed. It was why she respected the ones who killed because she understood it, even if they were sadistic and unforgiving. People do crazy things to survive.

Frowning a bit, she didn't buy the whole thing on him having no idea what he was carrying. Though stranger things had happened, that much was for sure. Clipping her mask to her belt, it was then that some small girl ran into her at the least, she wasn't sure if Hitomi would have "seen" the accidental ramming or not. Watching her fall to the ground, the Tengu was slightly annoyed, but the fact her coin was still there spoke of the accident, in fact being as such spoke well of it not being anything malicious.

"It's fine.. Be more careful.." Taking note of the last things the girl had muttered, her ears seem to twitch slightly, or maybe she had just turned her head. No matter the case the Priestess was next to speak up, making yet another joke over her blindness, while such a sense of humor was a sign of high spirits it was a little bit on the morbid side and the jig seemed to be up. Sighing a bit, the Tengu pulls out her booklet, sketching some of what she seen while speaking.

"She's a Priestess from one of the other temples. If anyone can tell you about it, may be her. I can tell you this much, it looked a lot like Fox Fire, but.. different. And if it is, you best be on your guard, both of you. The City has changed a bit as of late and I wouldn't trust the City Guard.." Eying some of the patrolling guardsmen, the truth was she didn't like the city at all, the countryside was her homeland. As of late anything not Human would get a tail or two on them unless it was a long known factor.

It was then she noticed a rising plume of smoke from off in the distance, was it spreading and who was it set by? Placing aside her sketch book, the half Tengu puts her drawing pad away, deploying her blackened wings without a care. "..given you are new here Murugan, I suggest you stay around us, you as well girl." She says glaring at the one who had bumped into her from before;

"Until a Guardian comes for you at least.. We are having a bit of a problem in the City, one of our Local Kitsune has been killing children and causing general chaos. Because of this some elements of the city have turned into a witch hunt, another child was killed tonight and a mob was already forming."

The Mayor's palace has also been the source of a few rumors as of late as well. Resting her left hand casually on one of her blades, the right is not far from the other as she looks about. Part of her wanted to go to the building fire and see just what in the seven hells was going on, but leaving Hitomi to watch all of them would be a mistake. The golden man was an outsider and given the temperament of some within the city, she wouldn't doubt them casting blame on him if it came down to it.

@Crow @EmperorsChosen @Auntie Phaz

Last edited: