The Heroes of Tryvallion: Kaid's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kate

Original poster
Hello Iwaku!

It's been a long time since I ran an RP, but I've had this idea for the past week or so and after fleshing it out a bit I want to see if there's interest. You'll have to forgive me if I seem overly vague, it's because I'm trying not to reveal everything at the start. It's also because whilst I've got the ideas, the proper lore hasn't been written and I won't write it up unless I'm sure I've got enough interest. I'm looking for a minimum of four players, at least to an "advanced" standard of writing. There will be some humour, I'm fond of tropes and of poking fun at them, too, so expect a few odd moments throughout. Whilst the writing and detail levels will be serious, there's still room for a bit of fun and humour, so if you're looking for a setting that's constantly dark and laden with angst and suffering, this probably isn't for you.

I've got a lot of curve balls and plot twists in mind for this, hence the mindfuck tag at the top. Don't get too attached to the opening plot below, or the medieval fantasy element, it's not the most defining characteristic of the roleplay, the "mindfuck" one is. I'm going to play around with you, and your character will have to roll with the punches, so if you're overly protective of your characters and don't like being on the back foot, then again, consider this before signing up. I'm not going to ruin your character, but I am going to put them through the wringer and see how they come out on the other side. Expect reality-screwing elements and hopefully some shocking revelations along the way.

It begins as a rather typical medieval fantasy plot. Characters, settings, tone and the like are all fairly borrowed from Lord of the Rings, the legends of King Arthur and even Robin Hood. Players will be members of an adventuring party, known collectively as "The Heroes of Tryvallion", who have already carved out their place in the hall of legends for saving the world from certain doom once before by overcoming the twisted necromancer Olgar Gremorius. The group have now come back together to face his former second-in-command, Veddewynn Kaid, who has assumed Gremorius' mantle and has set about completing his former master's work.

The group fulfils many typical fantasy tropes, with each member having a defined role (Wizard, Warrior etc.) serving under a heroic champion of men that carries a legendary sword, imbued with the spirit and power of a majestic green dragon. Their leader is the epitome of a hero, someone always there to save the day and never afraid to fight for what's right and fair, no matter how badly the odds may be stacked against them.

All rather standard so far, right?

Things get a bit more interesting when, on the approach to Castle Kavarra, the group is beset by some kind of magical storm. There are bright flashes of light and the very fabric of reality warps, but when the moment has passed, the party finds that their noble leader and his mighty sword have disappeared from reality. At first, their thoughts are... strangely void. Surely they should be looking for their leader, who has disappeared with out a trace, shouldn't they?

Without his presence, they find themselves somehow changed... their personalities and beliefs are somewhat different to before, as if the champion was somehow keeping them all in check and without him, they're free from his influence. It dawns on them that their lives up to this point are shrouded in confusion; they each have a past, but it's not something they remember living through, more something they've been told, each one only able to recall a few key details at best, with no "ordinary" memories of their childhood or training. With their pasts now called into question and their minds foggy and confused, the group begins to ponder its place, and just who their leader was. The only one that give them answers is their absent leader, so the group must find him if they are to find their answers.

As they explore their land, they begin to see the cracks appearing in reality. Whatever has happened is bigger than any of them...

Now here's the really important part. This is the bit I think people here might struggle with the most.

You will begin the roleplay fulfilling a party role.

This means you'll have abilities relevant to that role, and a certain temperament that I'll define. I will also ascribe to you something of a backstory and a social role within the group. In the very beginning of the roleplay, you may be required to play your character this way... within a few posts, however, you'll be free to do your own thing. As per the true plot details above, your character will feel different after the initial events and they may develop their own personality. If you want to keep playing them the same as they were before, then that's fine too, and your abilities won't change, but just because your character starts out as a refined intellectual doesn't mean that they're staying that way for long. You'll pick the name, race (Human/Elf/Dwarf), appearance, age, gender etc. but as per the plot, your past history might not be your past history after all, so there's no section for that, but a true personality section will be required.

The Scout
Abilities: Hunting, tracking, stealth, picking locks, setting and disabling traps
Favoured weapon(s): Longbow, twin short swords
Default personality: A sarcastic loner with a dark sense of humour, the scout often clashes with the rest of the group and picks flaws in any plans put forward. Prone to playing tricks and causing trouble, he's the party lancer and the least heroic member by quite a margin, even if he won't let his friends or the innocent down when he's needed.
Default relationships: Clashes with the party leader, struggles to accept the monk's idealism and appreciates the warrior's propensity for drinking.

The Monk
Abilities: Healing magic, buffing/nerfing spells, protection magic, all from divine sources
Favoured weapon(s): One-handed mace and a shield
Default personality: The monk is surprisingly outspoken, though her voice is relatively quiet. She's the young, spiritual, idealistic member of the group, she always sees the good in people and is the first to offer help to a lost child or a starving beggar. She may not be as bold or as brave as some of the other heroes, but she's never afraid to do the right thing, no matter what the cost. She's quite emotional and can be found brooding if her desire to do good has a negative outcome.
Default relationships: Respects the party leader's righteous spirit and desire to do good, but finds her views completely at odds with those of the scout, leading to clashes between the two.

The Wizard
Abilities:
Powerful destructive magic, capable of reading runes and scrolls, fluent in draconic
Favoured weapon(s): Channels magic through his staff, but can use it in melee if necessary
Default personality: Reserved, thoughtful and intelligent, the wizard doesn't speak often, but when he does, people tend to listen. His magical studies have afforded him both respect as an intellectual and wisdom that few can gleam. He's the calmest, most level-headed member of the group, though this sometimes makes him come across as being a bit aloof.
Default relationships: The wizard's calm demeanour allows him to get on well with all members of the party, though he does prefer his own company, as he needs time to meditate each day to recharge his spellcasting mana.

The Warrior
Abilities:
Physical prowess, capable of taking a lot of punishment, never gets a hangover
Favoured weapon(s): A large two-handed axe affectionately called "Bleeder" with an extendable handle
Default personality: Loud, boisterous and good-natured, the warrior is always the first into the fray and the last out of the pub. He may lack finesse and book-smarts, but makes up for this by being a shrewd tactician and formidable force in battle. Even without magic, he can deal just as much damage as the wizard, and his temper is legendary, though he only ever unleashes it on this that deserve his wrath.
Default relationships: The warrior trusts in his leader explicitly and is his oldest friend. He has a friendly rivalry with the scout, as the pair both enjoy a drink and share in a lot of banter.

If more than four people are interested then I'll create some additional characters when I make the OOC and sign-up thread. These are simply the characters I have for now, based on the usual four party roles.

So, I suppose that's everything for now. I appreciate that it's a lot of text, but thanks if you've read this far.

If you are interested in creating a medieval fantasy character and then sending them down a strange, confusing road, just let me know. I want to see four interested people before I start on the sign-up thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Baddamobs
Hey~hey~^^!!

Interested! But! Regular rundown: what is post frequency, can we play multi charries, is there dice/stats use?

But like yeah~yeah i'll submit an appie for a Lady Scout if/when this goes to OoC then ;D

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Hey, someone's interested!

I wasn't really going to worry about the specifics you've brought up until I was sure that there was interest, but sure, I can answer them now.

Posting expectations are once or twice a week. I'm around a lot, but I'm also quite casual and to a point, it depends on the rest of the group. If everyone's happy to post more often than that, then we'll do it, but if I got a lot of people that are weekenders only, then that's fine too, it's something we can agree on as a group.

As for multiple characters... my rule is that you can only play one character at a time. By all means chuck a few NPCs into the mix, and there could be deaths, or people leaving the adventure group. In each case, I'll still need to create a new base character (like the above) and then let someone else take it and run. I'm afraid that no-one will ever be able to completely create their own character. I know that makes me sound like I have control issues, but there will come a point in this roleplay where it actually makes sense, I swear.

There are no dice or stats, any combat will be free-form. As long as people are sensible enough not to do anything ridiculous (such as taking out an entire army on their own with just their bare hands) then I see dice and stats as an unnecessary tool that just slows things down.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Boo Girlie BoomBoom
Hey, someone's interested!

In each case, I'll still need to create a new base character (like the above) and then let someone else take it and run. I'm afraid that no-one will ever be able to completely create their own character. I know that makes me sound like I have control issues, but there will come a point in this roleplay where it actually makes sense, I swear.

All good. And know what? I kinda like the idea of having a preset template. It's kinda like I'm adopting your charrie :3

This is sounds super interesting, and I kind of like the idea of having a sort of pre-dertermined 'starting point' for the characters. Consider me thoroughly interested!

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Awesome stuff, thanks both of you. That's two, so I need another two and I'll write up the proper OOC thread.

Just a reminder, your preset character is more about their past. Prior to the roleplay they were that person, but now, with reality changing and their leader absent, they might change into this person instead. Of course, they may not change much at all, but don't feel restricted by the pre-gens!

Im also quite interested :D I like the plot a lot, definitely really unique! Lemme know if you plan on moving forward with this. Im also quite active so i dont mind posting up to once or twice a day, in fact i prefer faster pace RP than weekend posting only, but im flexible enough ;3

Just keep watching this thread then, SpitFire. A little more interest is all I need to start writing up an OOC/Lore thread, so hopefully we'll get one or two more names for the list in the next couple of days.

Also, thanks @Baddamobs for advertising this to people searching for a roleplay. :)

Just keep watching this thread then, SpitFire. A little more interest is all I need to start writing up an OOC/Lore thread, so hopefully we'll get one or two more names for the list in the next couple of days.

Also, thanks @Baddamobs for advertising this to people searching for a roleplay. :)

I can only keep up with like only 2~3 posts per week. Anything faster than that burns Boo out u,u' So yeah like just to let err'body know.

~edz~ Meh. Closer to like 1~2 posties per week. Cuz summertime ;DD~

I can only keep up with like only 2~3 posts per week. Anything faster than that burns Boo out u,u' So yeah like just to let err'body know.

~edz~ Meh. Closer to like 1~2 posties per week. Cuz summertime ;DD~

Don't worry about a thing. Posting expectations are still only once or twice per week; I've got a full-time job with an erratic shift pattern so I can't commit to any more than that. If some people have more free time then that's great and they can post more if they want to, but the plot's not going to move any faster than one post per week, so they're not going to run away without anyone.

Ha, to be honest, I was kind of worried that I might have over-stepped my boundaries. As long as your alright with it, I guess everything worked out though.

*wanders in and peeks around*
Um, I'm not very advanced(or at least, I don't consider myself so), but I am interested and I could make the effort. Might I ask what you consider advanced?

Ha, to be honest, I was kind of worried that I might have over-stepped my boundaries. As long as your alright with it, I guess everything worked out though.

I don't actually know what the Iwaku policy is on this, but I don't have a problem with it. It's not as if you spammed it into every thread going, but I probably wouldn't do it again just in case - I'd hate to see you get into any bother over it!

*wanders in and peeks around*
Um, I'm not very advanced(or at least, I don't consider myself so), but I am interested and I could make the effort. Might I ask what you consider advanced?

I've gone by the Iwaku "posting expectation" guidelines.

That said, I know it's not all that easy to assess yourself, but this is the kind of roleplay where I'm looking for a dedicated group that can write a character, interact with NPCs/scenario without ruining things and just generally nudge the plot along. My ideas are a bit elaborate, so I want to be comfortable that when I throw a curve ball, the group will catch it and be able to run with it. I don't want people to be entirely reactive, forcing me to move the plot along at every junction for them. It also goes without saying that a good standard of written literacy is required, and people need to be capable of writing at least a few decent-sized paragraphs. I'm hoping to give you all plenty to work with, but I'd like to see that people are capable of coming up with their own ideas, too. It's all about working together, in some sort of give-and-take scenario, and I want to make sure I get given some plot ideas and the like in return.

• Thank You
Ah, well I'm probably not advanced enough then, I more prefer to go with the flow of whatever plot the Gm set's forth, as I'm always afraid if I try and push the plot even a little I might go in a direction the GM wanted to avoid. ^.^''
I'll be pulling my interest, BUT, I shall continue to stalk and read where this goes, because it does sound super interesting. =^.^=

Ah, well I'm probably not advanced enough then, I more prefer to go with the flow of whatever plot the Gm set's forth, as I'm always afraid if I try and push the plot even a little I might go in a direction the GM wanted to avoid. ^.^''
I'll be pulling my interest, BUT, I shall continue to stalk and read where this goes, because it does sound super interesting. =^.^=

It depends a little on how this plays out, but I can think of several points at which people could join the roleplay after it's started. If we get a bit of the way down the line and you're still interested then perhaps you'll feel comfortable enough to join?

Thanks for taking an interest, though. :)

I'd be interested in a lady warrior or scout :)

Last edited:
I absolutely love this idea. It seems like there's plenty of interest already though, just let me know if there's any room left for another archetype, or if there's still room for now. I could actually play any of these characters but I'd definitely prefer the monk, I think.

Oh, awesome, more interest! That's enough people interested that I'll have to start working on the OOC now!

Complex, you're very welcome to join, those four were just my initial four archetypes from when I wasn't sure how much interest I would receive. I have ideas for a few more, so when the OOC thread goes live, I'll probably have 6-8 archetypes altogether and then people can take their pick, although it will be done on a first come, first served basis.

@Boo Girlie BoomBoom @Baddamobs @SpitFire @SaberWolf @the.complex-of-constellations

Oh, awesome, more interest! That's enough people interested that I'll have to start working on the OOC now!

Complex, you're very welcome to join, those four were just my initial four archetypes from when I wasn't sure how much interest I would receive. I have ideas for a few more, so when the OOC thread goes live, I'll probably have 6-8 archetypes altogether and then people can take their pick, although it will be done on a first come, first served basis.

@Boo Girlie BoomBoom @Baddamobs @SpitFire @SaberWolf @the.complex-of-constellations
Awesomes~^^!!

I'd still like to make an appie for a lady scout tho... ideas have been brewing for a while now ;DDD

Well, in that case, I'll give people the opportunity to pre-reserve some characters now if they want to do so.

They're works in progress for now, but my current plans are to add a rogue, who will have some crossover with the scout, and a druid, who will be a magic user focusing on plants/animals/nature magic. Then we've got the monk who has divine magic, the druid, who uses nature magic, and the wizard, who uses arcane magic.

In the same way that I've split the scout into two roles, I'll be doing the same with the warrior. The current warrior will be tweaked a bit and renamed as the barbarian, to create a wild fighter who lives dangerously and has unmatched raw strength. I'll then create a new warrior called a knight, who will wear armour, fight with a sword and shield and be more noble, much like the heroic fantasy knights from fairy tales.

Current Roster
Scout - @Boo Girlie BoomBoom
Rogue - ??
Knight - @SaberWolf
Barbarian - ??
Monk - @the.complex-of-constellations OR @Sailor Moon
Wizard - @Baddamobs
Druid - @the.complex-of-constellations OR @Sailor Moon

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.