The Heart of War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arkus looked at him as they came to the house "this is my house where I live and see that she'd over there that where you will live and be in at night. You can call me master Arkus or just master. You are to be up at five in the morning for something to eat then you work till about two in the feild and then get lunch. After that you take the cows out to graze and when around sunset happens put the. Back in the pen. Clean the barn and put new food and water out. Then at around later that night have dinner then get to sleep and repeat. Any questions at all" he said but his eyes gave Leon the warning not to even think about opening his mouth. Arbus had two other slaves nearly half dead but cared none for them.

In all honestly, Leon didn't know what he'd been expecting. Maybe somewhere in the recesses of his mind, he had been hoping for Arkus to be a kind master. The cold, unwavering front of his coldness just a cover. His heart sank as he flinched at his childish thoughts. Of course he'd be cruel. Just like all the other masters and mistresses of the city. He nodded numbly already forgetting half the stuff he said. He was tempted to reply with a smart comeback, but decided he didn't want to be beat or worse.

"What would you like me to do now.....master?" he struggled to get the words out. His body was cold and he wanted nothing more than to sleep. He didn't expect he'd be getting that much.

"Today I'll let you rest but tommrow you better be ready for work" Arkus warmed and went into his home smirking to himself as the nights here got very chilly and brutal at times in the winter it was all that much worse.

Darkness had been fallowing though watching the poor slave boy and growled at the master slightly. The for slunk forward to a bush near the yard and watched the boy with careful eyes fallowing him in the shadows and then nudged his leg lightly and whined softly. He wanted to make sure the boy was safe between the thirty minute walk to the slave house.

The large black dog nudged gently the boy and took in his scent and smiles slightly as he now had it in his mind now of the dog could track him down no matter what has happened in his life.

Leon looked down at surprise as Darkness nudged his leg. Confusion took over his thoughts as he wondered where the dog had come from. He leaned down and hesitated as he gently pet Darkness' ears. The fur soft beneath his fingers and thick pelt even darker in the shadows. He looked back to see if Arkus was watching and sighed in relief as he saw nothing. Leaning down in front of Darkness and put his arms around the dog and softly cried into his smooth fur. "Why?" his plea heartbroken and confused. "What did I do?" he stood up shakily and smiled at the dog. His feet sore from the walks and already he could feel his feet tingling and his fingers twitching with cold.

"Did Ares send you?"

The large black dog wolf thing looked at the boy and licked his nose gently and wagged its tail gently. Seeing his feet where hurting the dog nudged him to the small area where a spiket was and got him a bowl of water to clean and relax his feet it.

The dog then sat down and looked at him with ancient eyes and nodded slowly to if Ares sent him. He nudged the bowl to Leon carefully showing him he wanted him to clean off his feet. Ares watched froma distance blending in well with the shadows standing on a Cliff about a mile away from him watching everything and eyes closed. He would get the slave out of there soon.

After Leon had washed his feet, careful not to poke the spots where it hurt too much, and walked slowly to the shed. He looked at the sky briefly and guessed that he had only a few hours before Arkus would expect him to be up. He looked back at the dog and thanked him and looked around unconsciously, for what he didn't know, and his heart fell as he saw nothing. Taking notice that the dog was still there painfully leaned down and kissed him atop of his furry head. Lips brushing the soft black fur as he thanked him again.

"I have to go," he mummer ed to the dog. "but you better leave. I don't want you getting hurt." He stood up and pushed past the small wooden door frame and went inside. Looking around he saw that he only had little room to sleep and that would be on the itchy hay that was stacked unceremoniously near the corner of the shed. No traces of anything else were seen. He almost cried again.

The dog whined gently and watched him leave slightly sad. Darkness then jumped into the shadows and growling deeply he came to ares who sat there. Ares watched the night roll by and mutters something and the air got warmer but not a lot but it would help it not be so cold. Ares then closed his eyes and rested.

Next morning

"Get your ass up " Arkus barked angrily knocking Leon off his bed as it was about seven in the morning. He growled "I told you to be up at five guess you don't get breakfast then" growls slightly and walked off "get up and go pick some of the grapes and corn" he scowled and left the slave to do his thing.

Leon flinched as he fell unto the floor. Last night he hadn't sleep peacefully at all, only getting meager amounts of sleep as the hay dug into his sides. His risked a look at Arkus and crouched near his feet at the look of anger that was directed at him. "I-I'm sorry...I just got so cold last n-night. Please forgive me." he whispered as he kissed the top of his feet apologetically as he graveled. His mother, he thought, would disown him if she saw how weak he was right now. That thought left him with an empty hole inside his chest. He stood up shakily, his head bowed, and almost ran to the field. His feet protesting angrily as he half walked half ran to the field. The sharp thorns digging into his feet.

He then started his work for day. He only hoped he would be able to do well enough that would earn him a dinner.

He didn't think so.

Arkus watched darkly smirking to himself at the poor slave that gravely and walked off to his house and relaxed as his wife was busy with three kids at school. Arkus yawned and after few hours came out and grumbled seeing the candle there in the eon still "hey boy the cattle want out" he scowled unhappy, did this boy listen to him at all yesterday.

Darkness watched them from the shadows of a tree growling slightly at the master argivated at his words to the boy, Ares would rip the master head clean off his shoulder. Darkness should bite his legs angrily and he growled slightly as he sat down and waited for the night to come around.

Leon jumped as if Arkus had hit him. He looked down at his hands, the stains of the fruit on them, and slowly stood up. His back cracked in several places and he was sure he had a tear in his foot from the rough ground. Back throbbing, he limped towards the cattle and glanced at the surrounding hills. Tiredness seeping into his bones almost making him fall asleep on his feet.

It was the stench that hit. The choked smell of cattle manure was so strong he coughed into his shoulder and his eyes watered. He lowered his arm slowly and set out to work around the cows, opening the gate to let him have room to work and scowling in disgust as he stepped in cow manure. The heat of the day almost making the stench stronger and he wasn't even done yet. He sighed and went back to work.

Night rolled by......

Darkness slunk to where the slave boy was crying from his sore muscles. the large dog had a small jar of ointment and sniffing gently nudged the boys leg gently and put the jar down. It was soothing ointment that would help heal his feet. there was also a small book in the dogs mouth, a summoning spell of the gods, only worked once so you had to choose the god wisely and at a good enough time.

Leon looked up tearfully as a shadow passed by his feet. Jumping despite himself he soon relaxed and smiled genuinely as he spotted Darkness. His face lit up and went down on his knees and hugged him. His face pressing into his fur as he tears spilled on the ground. His kissed Darkness' forehead and quickly unwrapped the whatever he had given him. Thank you Ares, he thought as he leaned back and rubbed the cooling ointment on his feet. Almost moaning with relief as it worked it's magic. After rubbing some on his feet he decided to save some for later. He smiled gratefully at Darkness again. He couldn't say thank you enough. Looking down curiously he picked up a book. The paper was smooth on his hand the leather was thick. It had no writing on the front and when he turned the pages everything was empty.

"Darkness...what is this?"

Darkness yipped slightly and then eyes closed and spoke mentally to the boy as Ares gave it an ok to do so. Its a Spell book you can summon one god of your choice but you must do it in a great time of need. But its up to the god weither or not they bwill answer your summon He said slowly his black fur shining in the shadows of the shed. His eyes deep orange color that glows slightly.

Leon nodded and grasped the book in his hands tighter. He would be able to do that...."Where's Ares? I-I mean...can I see him? Or at least talk to him?" he glanced cautiously at Darkness. His heart filled with the hope that he would be able to see Ares once again. It was probably one of the reasons why he was able to get work done today. That and fact that his mother was watching over him from foreign skies. Even if it felt like she wasn't.

Darkness was about to respond when Arkus started yelling "get in the house slave I need you for the night. Also take your shirt off" Darkness felt worried suddenly by the way the master had asked. Darkness looked at him and whined slightly and placed a paw on the book slightly, it was now or never.

Sweat dripping down his face, Leon glanced back at Darkness. His large paw placed heavily on the book with a pleading look on his sharp face. "I-I," he stopped short of himself and trembled despite the heat. What exactly did Arkus mean by, "I need you for the night?" His thoughts were dipped with cold fear as he stood up shakily and forlornly walked towards the entrance to the shed. He glanced back at Darkness understanding now beginning to shine in his mind. "You want me to use the book? But there's nothing in it!" He shrunk as Arkus' call ran through the air.

"I-I have to go see what he wants. It's probably nothing serious."he ran out, deciding not to look back and stopped short of the huge house that Arkus' call had come from. Blinking in the heat he slowly tugged his shirt off, the sweat sticking to his sides as he peeled it off.

The dog whined slightly and talked with ares sharply getting orders. As ares tool ranch was warring very thin very fast with this master. Darkness slunk close to the house and watched through a window growling slightly.

Arkus walked over to the slave smirking pulling him inside swiftly and pinned him against the wall "well now I got you all to myself" grinned darkly as he kept Leon there "besides you belong to me anyway" he grinned darkly.

Leon struggled uselessly against Arkus. His size no match for the strong dominance of his master. "W-what about your wife! And your child! They w-" He stopped short as his breathe caught in his throat. He was no match for this warrior of old and he worried if he might get killed. His heart thudded painfully in his chest as he thought of his mother...and of Ares.

Darkness slammed into the door sitting it off its handles and barked madly and bit the masters arm and snarled sharply standing between leon and the master fangs bared.

Arkus got his dagger out but a voice spoke "you harm that slave or my dog I'll feed you to the creatures that haunt your dreams " Ares voice came out harshly and the slave master glared "who do you think you are" he snapped.

Ares stared coldly "Ares the god of war and you have over stepped yourself on the slave" he said darkly hand on his sword

Leon pushed Arkus away with a small cry and ran towards Ares. Heart thudding in his chest as he tripped and scrambled towards the corner of the wall. "You're actually him?" Leon gasped as tears started welling up in his eyes. His body shook with embarrassment and with shame as he quickly searched for his shirt. he started hyperventilated as he couldn't find it, tears cascading down his face now.

Status
Not open for further replies.