The Guardian

The Guardian was surprised when Aleya burst out laughing at him, and again asked more silly questions. Real? Of course he was real, but when she reached up and placed her hands on his face, then asked him why he looked sad he felt even more confused. Sad wasn't exactly something he was supposed to feel, only concern for his mistress. Why was she always so concerned about his well-being? His previous master never was; they had only cared that he did his job properly, and that was what he cared most about as well. Just so that his mistress wouldn't worry, he put on a small smile. If it would make her feel better he would do it. She soon took her hands from his face and proceeded to make herself a meal.

The Guardian watched Aleya attentively as she worked and ate. After a while she started to look slightly uncomfortable about it and said he didn't need to watch her and that he should just relax. Relax? Relaxing certainly wasn't something he could do, though he then realized that by just standing there he was wasting valuable energy.

"As you wish." he said as he proceeded to look around the house for something to do. In the living room by the kitchen he noticed one of Aleya's textbooks. Perhaps they could teach him something of this world. He picked up the textbook (a science textbook), and brought it over with him to the kitchen and seated himself in one of the chairs, and then flipped through its pages. If he wanted to be able to protect Aleya properly he would need to know as much as he could. There was a lot of strange information in the book that he found hard to understand, but even though he didn't fully understand it he made sure to memorize it, reading through the book at a surprisingly quick pace, much faster than any normal person.

"You should smile more often, you look brighter that way." She gave a concerned smile before he went to relax in the living room. Feeling a bit weary she sat down to eat and thought about his origins and how he came to be. It was clear to Aleya he harbored a soul and that made him all the more... human, in a sense. It also made her wonder about herself and who she really was. Finishing her last bite of her sandwich she thought about asking him questions would give her a little more insight. Was she like him, not human? Not knowing who she was frightened her.

Aleya sat on the couch while the Guardian stared at her text book, not knowing he'd already read the entire thing. "You can read that if you'd like. I hate science, but my dad makes me do my best." She also remembered he needed a name, but didn't know how to start the conversation. From a nervous habit she twidled her fingers.

The Guardian looked down at the science textbook he had just put it down after finishing reading it, still slightly confused about what he had just read. They had migrated over to the living room now and Aleya was again talking. Her mention of her father made him curious.

"What is your father's name?" he asked her, thinking that it would be good to know who he was so he wouldn't end up attacking him by accident. Where was her father too, he wondered and what did he look like. There were a few picture frames in the room and he wondered if one of the people in them might be him. Perhaps her father had Sunkin blood in him as well, though even if he did the master of him would still be Aleya. Another thing he wondered about was where her mother was. Did she even have a mother? If he were to guard her properly he would need to know these things.

The Guardian asked what her father's name was. The door of her own questions had painfully been opened, but knew it was vital if the Shadowkin ever found them again.
"Allan. His name is, Allan." She took the family picture off a corner table where a lamp stood and broght it over to him.
Aleya's father was tall and well fit in his business suit. After all these years he still looked the same, save some silver that now streaked the sides of his head. She had her father's eyes and her mother's long dark hair. Aleya drew a finger over her mother's image, her face stricken with grief. She blinked back tears and cleared her throat.
"Speaking of which, you need a name. I can't call you Guardian everywhere I go. Also, we need to do something about your appearance." A change of subject was what she needed, she hated showing weakness to anyone. Especially in front of guys.

Allan, so that was her father's name. The Guardian made sure to remember it. He watched Aleya as she brought over her family's picture. Three smiling faces could be seen within, one her father's, one a slightly younger version of Aleya, and another being what he assumed to be her mother. Knowing what her father looked like he felt a bit more relived, but then felt concern when he saw how Aleya's expression change when looking at her mother's image. From how she looked at the picture, it could be assumed that her mother was no longer around, but Aleya quickly blinked back her tears and then again brought up the topic of names, and of his appearance.

"If I need a name then you may choose one." he said, seeming rather indifferent about the matter. "As for my appearance," he said while looking himself over "It probably would draw too much attention." Now he just had to decide on what his appearance would be. From looking at the pictures in the textbook and the ones hanging on the walls he had an idea of what would be best to wear. As for his physical appearance, that would be much more difficult to change, but it was possible.

The jewels and markings on the Guardian suddenly all started to shine extremely brightly, the light from them being nearly blinding. Soon the light started to envelope his whole body as he focused his will on his chosen image. As the light started to fade away the Guardian's new appearance could be seen. The jewels on his body were no longer visible, as well as his markings. His hair was now a very light blonde, rather than white, his amber eyes were no longer glowing, and he had decreased a few inches in height, though he was still very tall, and he also looked slightly younger. Instead of a white tunic he now wore a plain orange t-shirt and jeans, while on his feet he wore white sneakers. As for his overall features, they had not changed and he was still recognizable as himself. After the transformation was finished he grabbed hold of the couch to steady himself, as he felt slightly disoriented from the change, then stood up awkwardly and looked at Aleya to see if she approved of his new appearance.

He really didn't seem to care at all about a name, but in this world it was necessary. Even more so it was needed for his sake. Aleya thought it would help him not only understand this world but also understand himself better. She couldn't blame him though, spending years upon years of being only known as The Guardian. That brought up more questions about her origins and where they lie. Her hands became restless as she mustered up the courage to ask, "How did you wake up and do you remember how you were created?"

He started the transformation process in order to look more human, she shut her eyes and looked away from the blinding light. Soon, the beauty of the jewels and markings vanished or became unvisible to the naked eye. A part of her felt guilty about it, making him look like everyone else. Though it was for his own protection both physically and emotionally. Itseemed to Aleya he lacked very much in that department. There was hope she could soften his hardened heart, if he had even that. He stood up awkwardly and looked at her seemingly for approval. He lost a few inches in his height it seemed, still he was certainly taller that her.
"Liam Everett." She looked into his eyes, he still held that peircing gaze though it was distilled in his human form. The power he radiated before was now quieted to almost nothing. A part of her missed that about him, she felt comfortable and safe, feeling his energy was proof he was there.
"Names are important in this world," She broke off their gaze, "they hold meaning about a person and who they are. We are not just a title, and so, you will stop calling me 'mistress'."

"Liam Everett..." said the Guardian, repeating his name to himself so that he would remember it. The newly named Liam looked himself over. It appeared that he had successfully hidden his jewels and markings, though he could still feel them pulsing beneath his skin. He wasn't sure if Aleya was entirely pleased with his new appearance though, for she didn't look it, though she didn't say anything to say she didn't approve of it either. He then remembered her previous question and went to answer it.

"Aleya," he said, addressing her with her actual name now. Though she had not spoken it to him he had learned it when she had first touched the amber jewel on his forehead. "My creation was a rather complicated process. The Sunkin created me by melding flesh and stone together. They then joined my soul... to my body" he said, feeling a slight pain in the jewel in his forehead at the mention of his soul, but then he continued on "The jewels are used to hold my soul and allow me to gather energy from the Sun. After my creation I lived for seven years before I was sealed in the temple. I later woke when you touched the jewel on my forehead and activated it. The Sunkin had made it so I would only awaken to the touch of one who carried their blood, and that I would bond with the person who did." Finished talking he looked at Aleya to see if she had anything else to ask or say.

Aleya must have made a face at his new appearance because he looked himself over again. She quickly reassured him with a smile. "Unwavering protector, is what your name means." Liam must have felt some kind of lonelyness, if not now perhaps he would when he takes a walk with her out in this new world. She came up with her next comment as a means for him not to feel alone. "Names also have oringins."

Liam addressed Aleya. Had she told him her name? She couldn't remember, but perhaps she had thought it and heard her telepathically. As he continued to tell his story she sat back down on the couch, realizing this might be a bit much to sink in. Upon hearing the words melding flesh and stone together and then joining his soul to his body, she couldn't imagine what that must have felt like or been like altogether. Then he said bond and wondered what that meant, so she asked him. English class taught the word ambiguous and that's exactly what it was.

While Liam waited for Aleya to reply he thought of his name's meaning. Unwavering protector. Hearing her say it made him feel strange. His crystal heart felt warm in his chest. He wanted to live up to that name. Aleya then asked him what he meant by "bond".

"When you touched the jewel on my forehead," he said, pointing to the hidden jewel as he did so "A small part of my energy was transferred to you." To show her, he closed his eyes and a small glow emanated from where the jewel in it his forehead was hidden. On Aleya's hand I tiny patch of light appeared where she had first touched the Guardian, and a faint trail of light could be seen joining the two. Warm energy could be felt flowing between them. But once he was done with his demonstration, he opened his eyes and the glow gradually faded away once again. He then went to explain it further.

"The part of my energy that lays hidden in you and the blood that flows through you binds me to you. Flowing within me is also Sunkin blood, which allows me to detect others which carry it. The transfer of energy mainly allows for communication, and makes it so that I may not disobey you, though only if doing so will not put you in danger" he said, looking back at Aleya to see what she thought.

Liam's demonstration felt strange but warm and a peculiar faint light appeared on her hand that first touched him in his true form. When the light faded he went into further detail about the bond.

Aleya didn't know what to make of it at first, so she sat contemplating without saying anything for a few moments. He pretty much sumed it up as a Master and Slave relationship. She didn't like that, not at all. Letting out a breath as she stood up and started pacing back and forth, she thought of a way to explain to him that he did not belong to her - or anyone - for that matter. She stopped at the window looking out and thought of how her world worked and snickered at how people still continue to think just as Liam explained. Aleya saw the world much differently then everyone else. She turned to face him from the window.
"I don't, and will never, own you. You are your own person, Liam." She also thought about her mother as her smile faded. Nothing lasted forever either. "One thing you have to learn in this world is nothing is as it seems. People will say one thing and do another, but no one ever owns anybody." She stressed the word in hopes he'd understand or at least one day he would.

Liam peered at Aleya curiously as she explained to him how she did not own him, that nobody owned him. What she was talking about was ridiculous. It may be true that other people could not own each other, but he was not a person. He was a tool. His whole purpose was to protect and obey his master; that was what he was created for. His creators had built him to want to protect his master. Keeping them safe was what made him happy. Without Aleya, he had no purpose. If she were gone...then he would...

Pain raced through Liam's body, making him wince. The Sunkin's magic had punished him for thinking of things that went against his duty. For a brief moment he had almost felt something. A memory? He winced again as he was once again punished. Duty, protect, obey repeated in his head. The jewel on his forehead throbbed and he clutched it with his hand; thinking about his duty calmed his mind and the pain faded away.

Liam looked back up at Aleya and smiled, seeming completely unaffected by what had just happened.

Aleya could have sworn she saw a little frown on his face... emotion? Maybe he did have a heart after all. Then we winced and put his hand on his forehead as if experiencing a headache. Before she could ask what was wrong he smiled at her as if nothing happened. Whatever he might be she wondered if he could actually malfunction like a machine. Worry began to itch its way into her.

The cool air from the night's sky began to seep its way through the windows, she crossed her arms feeling a bit chilled. She closed the blind on the window and turned on a light. "I have to get some rest, school tomorrow." Before she went up the stairs she turned realizing she's not going to be alone in her home anymore. "No peeking!" Backing up the stairs she eyed him making sure he wouldn't follow her into her room for the night.

Liam was about to follow Aleya up to her room but her eyes and words stopped him. She obviously didn't want him in her room with her so he stayed where he was at the foot of the stairs and watched her walk up to her room. Although Aleya needed her rest, Liam was not tired. He only needed a few hours sleep each day and he had already slept plenty. Not having anything to do he decided to see what other books she had. He found the rest of her textbooks and proceeded to read them, finding English the hardest to understand, as he could not relate to most of what it described. With still much time left in the night he checked in the drawers and cupboards of the house. In one he found a cookbook. Good. It would come in handy.

Liam learned a lot that night. He read every book, sign, and ad he could find in the house. As it started to approach morning he decided it would be time to get to work. Having read the cookbook he found he knew the perfect thing to do. He would make Aleya breakfast. It was important that his mistress had all the energy she needed for the day, so he prepared a lunch as well. There was a manual lying in one of the drawers for the stove so he turned it on and got to work. Cooking was not something he had done a lot of but he was a quick learner. Sweet smelling fumes wafted off the food as he cooked, though sadly he could not truly smell them. Food was simply fuel to him, not a pleasure.

While making breakfast he thought of Aleya's school. In his own world there had been school's for the rich and magically gifted, but her school seemed much different. He knew she would be going there today, and he wanted to come with her, even if she didn't want him to. He would hide just outside the school if he had to, but perhaps he could somehow enroll himself there.

Liam's thoughts were interrupted when he felt Aleya's energy shift. She must have awoken, he thought. He quickly began finishing up breakfast before she came downstairs.

Staring at her starry ceiling all she could think about were the events that passed, most consisted of Liam, the Guardian... her Guardian. Every girl growing up fantasizes about her knight in shining armor. Aleya actually had something, err, someone to that effect, a guardian with shining jewels! It was all so hard to fathom and yet still forced to believe. Her nose caught scent of food wafting from the kitchen, another reminder that he was still with her. Aleya’s stomach forced her out of bed. Since when do Guardians cook? Now she was worried he’d burn something. She threw her clothes on, a fitted red tank-top, a sweater since school didn’t like bare shoulders, and navy denim pants.

Racing down the stairs she got ready to bolt for the fire extinguisher, but there wasn’t a need to. The food looked better than her cooking. Suddenly she felt inadequate as a woman and slightly jealous, but that faded quickly as her stomach demanded she eat.
“Good morning.” Realizing she hadn’t slapped on her makeup she quickly dropped her head to the floor and took her meal to her room. She gave him a quick thank you before she left his sight. After scarffing the excellent food Liam made she dashed into the bathroom and locked the door to do her makeup in peace. She came out to see Liam’s bewilderment across his face. His face was adorable and innocent, she couldn’t help but giggle.

Liam looked up as Aleya walked into the room. She greeted him, but then quickly dropped her head down, hiding her face, which he found strange. Was there something wrong with her face? Had she gotten injured without him knowing? He was about to ask her but before he could she quickly grabbed her food, thanked him, then darted back upstairs to her room. Curious, he followed her a ways up the stairs. Not wanting to anger her though, he stopped at the top of the stairs and waited for her.

Liam waited patiently at the top of the stairs for Aleya to get herself ready. He closed his eyes and felt for her energy, checking to see if she had any injuries, but thankfully, there were none. It appeared he had been worrying for nothing. Not having anything else to do now, he simply waited for her to come out. Soon he heard a click as the bathroom door unlocked and Aleya walked out.

Liam was startled for a moment by Aleya's change in appearance. He didn't know why, but it appeared that she had changed her face slightly. Why she had changed it he did not know. She seemed amused though by his expression and giggled. Seeing his mistress happy pleased him and a small smile formed on his lips, his large amber eyes glowing warmly as he did. As long as she was happy he would be as well. He then remembered though that he had a question he wanted to ask her.

"Could I accompany you at your school?" he asked Aleya politely, staring at her intensely with his round amber eyes as he did. If she said no then he supposed he would have to hide outside the school for the rest of the day till she finished.

How could Aleya not have thought about this? Of course Liam would have to go to school with her. She certainly didn’t want him by himself in her place, what if he broke something? What if her dad suddenly showed up at her door? It was reasonable and easier to have him enroll in school. Then she started thinking about how to explain who Liam is to her friends, guy friends at that. She didn’t have any girl friends. Contemplating all of this at once she felt her cheeks flush a little when realizing she was staring back at Liam. She dropped her gaze.

She coughed as if to have him concentrate on something else rather than her eyes. “I think that’s a great idea,” Looking him over, she saw he wore appropriate clothes for school. ”What you’re wearing is fine.”

Packing up her books and her school laptop into her bag she looked at the time. The clock read 8:00am. “We gotta go! Class starts in twenty minutes!” She blurted and rushed to the door, finding Liam hadn’t really moved yet. She’s never been late in her life, people were going to think she’s sick or something happened to her. Her dad would be called! That was the last thing she wanted to have done. She didn’t want to lose her home and move in with her dad or worse... her cousin. “Come on!” she motioned to the door and waited for him on the other side to lock up.

Liam smiled happily at Aleya's reply. This was good. He could come with her. That would make things a lot easier for him. Aleya appeared to be in a rush though and ordered for him to hurry. He swiftly ran towards the doorway and landed gracefully beside her, then waited patiently for her to lock up the house. As Aleya hurried to get to school in time Liam calmly kept pace beside her, not seeming worried, or strained by the activity in any way.

While going to the school Liam noticed a few cars driving by. He peered at them curiously. There had been pictures of cars in some of the books he had read in the house, such as the science textbook, and he had seen some drive by the window, but he still didn't quite understand them. It was obvious though that they were machines and that they seemed to be a standard form of transportation here. How did these machines work though? What powered them? He looked down at one of his hands, feeling the energy flowing in it as he thought about this. Were they powered by magic like himself?

As they started to get closer to the school he noticed some people throwing glances at them. Some girls whispered to each other and giggled as they past by. It didn't appear that they were late quite yet, since most of the students outside the school didn't look to be in a huge rush. He studied the people around him carefully, seeing if any of them might be a threat. Could the Shadowkin change their shape as well? As he looked around a few of the girls blushed and averted his eyes, while a few of the boys glared back at him, and others looked away, seeming intimidated by his height and the strength he radiated. All of them were curious as to who he was, and why he was here at their school.

On their way to school, Aleya noticed Liam eyeing the cars as they drove passed them and looking at his hand. It hit her that he must have thought those cars were like him in some way.
”Come on, I can’t afford to be late...literally.” Time and books was her dad’s money in giving her a place of her own. She didn’t want to mess that up. She grabbed his hand and pulled him in stride with her. She’d tell him about the vehicles later; right now she had to make it to school on time.

In the distance as they neared the high school, Aleya saw groups of people outside. Good, the bell hadn’t rung yet. She made it! And now she could relax the rest of the way.
But wait.
What was she going to tell her friends about this tall, good looking guy next to her? She had to think of something quick. Avoiding them wasn’t possible since she had a small group. He couldn’t be her brother since he likes being close to her and that wouldn’t look good for her reputation. Maybe he could be a distant cousin from her mother’s side and that would explain why she didn’t know about Liam since her passing away....
Already the girls were fawning over Liam and the guys were shooting glares at him. She shot glares back at them. Some rolled their eyes and some taunted her, but knew they wouldn’t do anything more since it was the beginning of the day.

Upon entering the school Liam started to wonder how he would get enrolled. Doing so might be difficult because for one, he had nothing to identify himself with. In his own world his master's son had gone to a prestigious school and needed to bring his family's crest to show who he was when he first arrived. Evidently, this world was quite different from his own, but he suspected that things may be even more strict. Luckily for him though, he had his magic. Illusions were not something he specialized in but he was capable of creating them. All he would have to do is make them see the information they expected to see. His thoughts were interrupted though when he heard a boy call out to Aleya.

"Hey! Aleya!" shouted a boy about her age "Who's the friend?" Two others were accompanying the boy as they walked towards them.

Liam was startled by the shout, nearly going into defensive mode, but quickly regained his composure. These people didn't feel hostile, at least to Aleya, and they seemed to know her too. He could tell from their aura that they would cause her no harm. Even if they were hostile though, none of them looked like they could be much of a threat. Liam was taller than all of them, fitter as well, and even though he didn't look it he was still made mostly from stone.

A boy around Aleya’s age came towards them. “Hey, Dan.” She greeted back. Strange, it felt like ages since she saw them. She wondered how much time actually passed when she fell into the other world.

Dan was short for Danial and at odd times Aleya would call him Danny to bug him. Dan was still taller than Aleya even as Liam towered over them. He had short dark hair and deep green eyes. He looked good for a nerd with glasses, heck he looked better with glasses on and for many that was rare to pull off. He wore a baggy T-shirt and pants with made his frame look thinner than what it was.

Danial looked at her strangely. Oh right! She almost didn’t hear him ask about Liam, she was lost in thought. “Oh! This is Liam Everett, my cousin. He just moved here from...” She had to do some quick thinking here, “Ireland.” There, hopefully that’s believable, she thought.

From the corner of her eye, Liam was about to walk in front of her, but then backed off. He must have sensed her friends were no threats. She felt grateful he wanted to protect her, but at the same time it made her feel like her friends weren’t good enough to protect her if she needed them. Annoyance began pricking at her.