The Grimm Wars: Winter is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You have never seen the Fair Folk before?"

By her side, a ponderous figure in a red tunic looked down at his dinner partner. Unlike most here, he had chosen simple garb yet its quality was as equal to the most puffed up peacock in assembly. Muscles bulged beneath the silk sleeves as he toyed with his wine glass and on his shoulder, in a simplistic manner was the emblem of an Oak Tree, crowned with leaves of flame. A tiny motto was engraved beneath it and if Corrin tried to read it, the man smiled as he quoted.

"The first and last blow.' The motto of my house. My wife embroidered it for me."

He then smiled gently and introduced himself with stern gravitas yet gentle bearing.

"I'm Bishop Constanze. Duke of Somnium, though it won't stop me from getting my head bashed in by these young bucks tomorrow."

That was the gift of Bishop....Parenthood had only honed his gentle instincts, which reached out to those who felt awkward in most settings and made him popular among his soldiers. A good commander and a worthy knight.

Seeing a new guest come in, Bishop made a gesture to a server to set a seat at their table. And as Lorie was led, he rose to his feet and pulled out her chair for her. Cordially, as though she was noble as anyone else, he spoke.

"Welcome mage. I hope you brought an appetite to tonight's dinner."

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @york

--------------​
Lorie Fisher
@Schnee Corp Lawyer @Ringmster

Lorie wasn't accustomed to service like this... Let alone being addressed like she was right now, but it seemed she was satisfied with her choice to head to the Castle Grounds, she smiled towards Bishop, and her server, nodding a little at what Bishop said.

"Thank you... Sir." She said, her voice was a little soft, but not inaudible.

She looked around, slowly starting to get used to her surroundings... Her stomach rumbled lightly, reminding her that it would be in her best interests to eat soon, though... She couldn't help but wonder what sorts of foods they might serve here...
Corrin had the modesty to look at least somewhat abashed that someone had noticed her brief flight of fancy, but she cleared her throat and gave a courteous shake of her head in response to the question. "None call our realm home. The closest thing to a 'fairy' I've ever met was a fairy dragon."

She blinked as he said his name. That was one of the important ones Jakob had ran by her while they were practicing for this. She immediately sat up a bit straighter and gave a formal nod in response, helped along by a genuine smile as she returned the gesture. "Nice to meet you Lord Bishop, miss magus. I'm Corrin, a princess of Hoshido and ambassador of it and Nohr. So... is it true that you decide your royalty based on shoes?" she asked Bishop

Eventually her brain caught up to her mouth, and her eyes widened in mortified surprise as she froze up, because the question had already been asked at this point and it wasn't like she could ask for a do over

@Ringmaster @york

She blinked. Once, in surprise.

Mostly because that didn't sound like summoning at all. If you had to add powers to something you brought up from whatever you drew it from, then it was never worth the effort. Perhaps he didn't see it though....Wasn't her place to say so anyway.

After all, you can't help how you were made.

Wasn't she the penultimate example? More amused, she spoke.

"You have gone native. Look at you, shuddering at the feel of the North Wind. Well, let it come if it wants. My master has his...Ideas. If it does approach, it'll find us ready."

@DapperDogman
"We both know even if I go native I won't fit in" he murmurs, wrapping his cloak around himself a little tighter "People won't take well to an animated scarecrow"
"It's part of why I make such a good trickster, scaring people tends to be pretty easy, most of them have never seen anything quite like me"

He forces a small laugh as he looks up toward the sky

"Even if I am just living wood, straw and burlap, I can appreciate the beauty of a sunset"
"Maybe if people knew that, they wouldn't judge so quickly?"

@Ringmaster

Lorie wasn't accustomed to service like this... Let alone being addressed like she was right now, but it seemed she was satisfied with her choice to head to the Castle Grounds, she smiled towards Bishop, and her server, nodding a little at what Bishop said.

"Thank you... Sir." She said, her voice was a little soft, but not inaudible.

She looked around, slowly starting to get used to her surroundings... Her stomach rumbled lightly, reminding her that it would be in her best interests to eat soon, though... She couldn't help but wonder what sorts of foods they might serve here...
Corrin had the modesty to look at least somewhat abashed that someone had noticed her brief flight of fancy, but she cleared her throat and gave a courteous shake of her head in response to the question. "None call our realm home. The closest thing to a 'fairy' I've ever met was a fairy dragon."

She blinked as he said his name. That was one of the important ones Jakob had ran by her while they were practicing for this. She immediately sat up a bit straighter and gave a formal nod in response, helped along by a genuine smile as she returned the gesture. "Nice to meet you Lord Bishop, miss magus. I'm Corrin, a princess of Hoshido and ambassador of it and Nohr. So... is it true that you decide your royalty based on shoes?" she asked Bishop.

Eventually her brain caught up to her mouth, and her eyes widened in mortified surprise as she froze up, because the question had already been asked at this point and it wasn't like she could ask for a do over.
Bishop smiled kindly to Lorie before drawn to Corrin's words. With a nod of understanding, he spoke.
im
"They're fairly common in our lands. Mostly harmless, any pranks they do pull are along the lines of pulling laundry into the mud of tying sheets into knots and their fairly easy to remove if need be. But its best to think of them as children."

He then took a sip of his drink and managed to hide his amusement at her open question. A first-timer it appeared, going by her reaction. Not used to hiding her emotions and an open one at that.

He wondered idly how the prince would find her....Wherever he was tonight.

Putting down his drink, he included Lorie into the story he shared, careful not to alienate his dinner partners. In a whimsical smile, he spoke.

"We did, once. Its a very popular story now, among our kingdom."

Years ago as he recalled....He was younger then. Newly knighted and among the Prince's companions. Who in hindsight, was rather like his youngest. Same passion, same drive to do something with his life. For him, he liked to ride and would spend whole afternoons traveling the kingdom. About three weeks from the fabled ball, he had met someone. Bishop suspected anyway, seeing his friend and lieges features. While concerned at first, his prince was a judge of character. He could take care of himself.

When the ball came and the events occurred, the prince was so convinced of her identity that he went out directly to the area in question to search, taking her crystal heel with him.

The rest as they say, was history.

"-And now it lies as one of our realms greatest treasures."

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @york @Indolent @Feast
"We both know even if I go native I won't fit in" he murmurs, wrapping his cloak around himself a little tighter "People won't take well to an animated scarecrow"
"It's part of why I make such a good trickster, scaring people tends to be pretty easy, most of them have never seen anything quite like me"

He forces a small laugh as he looks up toward the sky

"Even if I am just living wood, straw and burlap, I can appreciate the beauty of a sunset"
"Maybe if people knew that, they wouldn't judge so quickly?"

@Ringmaster
"I hear stories of realms long lost, or hidden. Of places filled with wonder, with folk like you and me. Perhaps their is such a place for our ilk. And if not....Its a big world. I hardly believe that beings like us have no place in it, if the gods allowed us to exist. Even demons have their proper order."

She hesitated and then smiled as she held out a rocket like a swain bestowing a flower.

"Would you like to light the first one of the night?"

@DapperDogman @CarNival

• Love
Reactions: DapperDogman
"Clearly not enough as I would have liked, that's why I'm asking for you to repeat yourself, if that's not already abundantly clear." She replied brusquely, resisting the real tempting urge to roll her eyes. "Quit stalling, will you? I'm not about to beat you up or anything like that. No sport or reason in it. So out with it."

@The Tactician @Ringmaster
Despite her lantern's location, Haraise heard it all, but luckily on Serverus's end, the spirit did not care for his frustrations. It was not a high concern. With that thought, the spirit was rather attentive for any red masks... anyone that wore it to be more exact. Nothing as of yet... so she rather keep her attention out for that rather than to pay attention to their conversation. However, she didn't account for one thing... and she haven't been around people that did this...

As her lantern's flame was dimmed due to the lack of lesser spirits that would fuel the flame with their hatred and frustrations... apparently the frustrated venting of Severus would somehow fuel her flame just a little bit... A honest surprise to the spirit, she never thought that the flame could be fueled in that manner. And with surprise, there was the momentary panic on how to dim her flames, because a brighter flame out of nowhere was quite strange in itself to see...

@The Tactician @Ringmaster @C.T.
Kel frowned as the woman proceeded to be quite the offending individual. Where did she discover the notion that she could be rude to those whose conversation she intruded upon, "I suggest you watch your tongue, miss. You have no right to speak as you do."
"Please, don't-"

Whatever he was about to say, was suddenly cut off.

As the whistle of a projectile was heard and an arrow plunged into the ground, Severus hissing with pain as he slapped a hand to his ear. Recognizing the situation, his eyes widened and he spoke urgently.

"GET DOWN! SNIPER!"

Down he went, wondering what the Hell was going on. If you were going for a target, there were far more better ways and easier.

What was going on?

Haraise's flame would suddenly burst into a brighter light, a heady source of true hatred flooding the field from somewhere, perceptible to the spirit.

@The Tactician @C.T. @Gummi Bunnies

"I hear stories of realms long lost, or hidden. Of places filled with wonder, with folk like you and me. Perhaps their is such a place for our ilk. And if not....Its a big world. I hardly believe that beings like us have no place in it, if the gods allowed us to exist. Even demons have their proper order."

She hesitated and then smiled as she held out a rocket like a swain bestowing a flower.

"Would you like to light the first one of the night?"

@DapperDogman @CarNival

"Perhaps you are right. Maybe out there, somewhere, there is a place where I could fit in, and be happy..." a faint smile tugged at the prankster's lips as he takes the rocket, inspecting it for a moment "Thank you, I would love to"
Dipping a finger into his mouth, he'd retrieve it with a small, blue flame dancing at the tip, and light the fuse on the rocket, smiling as he sticks it into the dirt and takes a few strides backward, and blowing out the burning fingertip

Smiling to himself, Jack would mime plugging his ears with two slender, wooden fingers

"Might want to follow suit" he says with a soft chuckle "Something tells me this one's going to be loud~"

@Ringmaster

Bishop smiled kindly to Lorie before drawn to Corrin's words. With a nod of understanding, he spoke.
im
"They're fairly common in our lands. Mostly harmless, any pranks they do pull are along the lines of pulling laundry into the mud of tying sheets into knots and their fairly easy to remove if need be. But its best to think of them as children."

He then took a sip of his drink and managed to hide his amusement at her open question. A first-timer it appeared, going by her reaction. Not used to hiding her emotions and an open one at that.

Putting down his drink, he included Lorie into the story he shared, careful not to alienate his dinner partners. In a whimsical smile, he spoke.

Years ago as he recalled....He was younger then. Newly knighted and among the Prince's companions. Who in hindsight, was rather like his youngest. Same passion, same drive to do something with his life. For him, he liked to ride and would spend whole afternoons traveling the kingdom. About three weeks from the fabled ball, he had met someone. Bishop suspected anyway, seeing his friend and lieges features. While concerned at first, his prince was a judge of character. He could take care of himself.

When the ball came and the events occurred, the prince was so convinced of her identity that he went out directly to the area in question to search, taking her crystal heel with him.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @york @Indolent @Feast​
Corrin was starry eyed by the end of the tale, her elbows on the table and leaned slightly forward by the time the last words were spoken. She sighed and sank back into her chair with the sort of content smile that only came with the happy end of a good story. It sounded like a fairy tale brought to life, with love, magic, and a whole kingdom's fate decided without a single person needing to die. It sounded wonderful, it sounded...

...She was pensive for a few moments, before she coughed and sought to continue the topic. "How did she handle that? It must have been a huge jump in responsibility to go from a maid to a queen to be"

@Ringmaster @york

"Please, don't-"

As the whistle of a projectile was heard and an arrow plunged into the ground, Severus hissing with pain as he slapped a hand to his ear. Recognizing the situation, his eyes widened and he spoke urgently.

"GET DOWN! SNIPER!"

Down he went, wondering what the Hell was going on. If you were going for a target, there were far more better ways and easier.

What was going on?

Haraise's flame would suddenly burst into a brighter light, a heady source of true hatred flooding the field from somewhere, perceptible to the spirit.

When matters couldn't get any more out of her control, Haraise was shocked to see this amount of hatred fuel her lantern's flames. It wasn't because of another spirit that was vengeful like her, she could tell the distinction of a spirit's hatred and a living being's hatred. Someone out there had that much hatred in their heart...

Assessing the situation happening not too far away from her, an arrow had narrowly plunged into Severus from afar... Someone was trying to kill, much like how certain other had killed her on the day of her death from the living world. Why there were doing this, this killer in this situation, it was unknown, but a thought passed the spirit's mind.

What if this killer was somehow the same killer from her death day? Or someone connected to the red masked killer? Maybe this was her chance to cut down her killer or someone close to her killer...

Not caring about how much she stuck out like a sore thumb, her flame being so vibrantly bright, Haraise picked up her stationary lantern, and began to move towards the direction she felt the aura of hatred come from.

@The Tactician @C.T. @Ringmaster

"Please, don't-"

"GET DOWN! SNIPER!"

What was going on?

When matters couldn't get any more out of her control, Haraise was shocked to see this amount of hatred fuel her lantern's flames. It wasn't because of another spirit that was vengeful like her, she could tell the distinction of a spirit's hatred and a living being's hatred. Someone out there had that much hatred in their heart...

Assessing the situation happening not too far away from her, an arrow had narrowly plunged into Severus from afar... Someone was trying to kill, much like how certain other had killed her on the day of her death from the living world. Why there were doing this, this killer in this situation, it was unknown, but a thought passed the spirit's mind.

What if this killer was somehow the same killer from her death day? Or someone connected to the red masked killer? Maybe this was her chance to cut down her killer or someone close to her killer...

Not caring about how much she stuck out like a sore thumb, her flame being so vibrantly bright, Haraise picked up her stationary lantern, and began to move towards the direction she felt the aura of hatred come from.

In an instant, Kel was close to the ground as well, though in a kneeling crouch rather than laying flat. In a situation like this, she wouldn't do such a thing, to make it easier for their enemy to sneak upon them and strike a devastating blow, nor would she allow Severus to remain in harm's way. As her eyes scanned the area around them for the killer (and the thought that the female mercenary was a member of them), her hand reached down to the prince's collar and took hold, hauling him up as she stood up.

"We can not stay here, my lord! For now, my armor will protect you as well so do not argue with my actions!"

That was the only warning that the young man received before being picked up and carried like a blushing bride on her day to be wed. Trying make him as small a target as possible with her own body blocking most of the view of him, Kel finally began to beat a hasty retreat across the tourney grounds, the knight surprisingly agile in her heavy armor and carrying a full-grown man with her. Her mind was a race of thoughts as she planned out where they needed to go, who they needed to speak to report and stop this incident from happening again and to catch the culprit.

"We must meet with my charge, Severus, and then we shall speak to the nobility of this land to ask why a knight and a prince of two other lands were nearly killed with a cowardly shot in the dark!"

@C.T. @Gummi Bunnies @Ringmaster

She blinked as he said his name. That was one of the important ones Jakob had ran by her while they were practicing for this. She immediately sat up a bit straighter and gave a formal nod in response, helped along by a genuine smile as she returned the gesture. "Nice to meet you Lord Bishop, miss magus. I'm Corrin, a princess of Hoshido and ambassador of it and Nohr. So... is it true that you decide your royalty based on shoes?" she asked Bishop

Eventually her brain caught up to her mouth, and her eyes widened in mortified surprise as she froze up, because the question had already been asked at this point and it wasn't like she could ask for a do over

@Ringmaster @york
im

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @york @Indolent @Feast​
Corrin was starry eyed by the end of the tale, her elbows on the table and leaned slightly forward by the time the last words were spoken. She sighed and sank back into her chair with the sort of content smile that only came with the happy end of a good story. It sounded like a fairy tale brought to life, with love, magic, and a whole kingdom's fate decided without a single person needing to die. It sounded wonderful, it sounded...

...She was pensive for a few moments, before she coughed and sought to continue the topic. "How did she handle that? It must have been a huge jump in responsibility to go from a maid to a queen to be"

@Ringmaster @york
Lorie Fisher
@Ringmaster @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @Others

Lorie frowned... She recalled the tale now that Bishop had mentioned it... A strange girl attending a Ball, wearing strange glass slippers... She and the Prince of that castle fell in love that day, but then when the clock struck 12 at midnight, she ran away, leaving behind one of her slippers... ... The story got a little muddled from there, but, she remembered that the slipper only fit the one who wore it to that ball, and somehow... The Prince managed to find his dance partner after searching long and wide, despite a few inconveniences thanks to her stepmother... It was an odd tale, but one with a happy ending, as alot of these tales seem to be... But, it seemed hers was one of the few that didn't share such a fortune, but... Maybe her tale simply didn't end the way it should have? She shook her head, focusing on the matter at hand; Bishop mentioned the slipper was one of the realms greatest treasures... Could that be what that freakish presense she felt before was after?

She decided to speak up after a moment, with a question of her own "Are there any legends about... A creepy figure with a skull... And deer antlers?" she asked suddenly, feeling a little hesitant about this... Looks like she had finally remembered that figure she had seen not too long ago, but her recollection was faint, and the entire thing was a bit hard to describe.​

Last edited:
"Please, don't-"

"GET DOWN! SNIPER!"

What was going on?

...Of course. That figures, if it ain't one thing, it's another. She didn't drop to the ground like a few others, instead she just turned around almost lazily, piercing green eyes searching for a hint of the would-be ambusher while stifling a snort at the knight. More than a little overdramatic, but she did agree with some of that. Namely, it being a cowardly shot in the dark.

"You know, I really hate archers!" She called out, hoping that if he or she was idiotic enough to attack in the first place, that he or she would also give away her position with a response.

@Ringmaster @The Tactician @Gummi Bunnies

• Useful
Reactions: Schnee Corp Lawyer

@Ringmaster @york
Lorie Fisher
@Ringmaster @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @Others

Lorie frowned... She recalled the tale now that Bishop had mentioned it... A strange girl attending a Ball, wearing strange glass slippers... She and the Prince of that castle fell in love that day, but then when the clock struck 12 at midnight, she ran away, leaving behind one of her slippers... ... The story got a little muddled from there, but, she remembered that the slipper only fit the one who wore it to that ball, and somehow... The Prince managed to find his dance partner after searching long and wide, despite a few inconveniences thanks to her stepmother... It was an odd tale, but one with a happy ending, as alot of these tales seem to be... But, it seemed hers was one of the few that didn't share such a fortune, but... Maybe her tale simply didn't end the way it should have? She shook her head, focusing on the matter at hand; Bishop mentioned the slipper was one of the realms greatest treasures... Could that be what that freakish presense she felt before was after?

She decided to speak up after a moment, with a question of her own "Are there any legends about... A creepy figure with a skull... And deer antlers?" she asked suddenly, feeling a little hesitant about this... Looks like she had finally remembered that figure she had seen not too long ago, but her recollection was faint, and the entire thing was a bit hard to describe.
To Corrin, Bishop nodded.

"It was. She was thrust in the midst of political manipulation, conservatives who had decried the wedding and the rumors of those who had nothing but ill to say behind her back, that she married above her station. But she loved her husband and she loved his parents, who treated her kindly. And she learned very, very quickly. Because she had also been one of the people as well, she knew what were the biggest issues to tackle and not simply the ones thrown towards the crown as publicity stunts. No red tape for her, she simply saw what needed to be done and worked for it. Even selling her personal jewelry to fund it, if she needed to. Her husband thought she was a breath of fresh air and the people grew to love her, as he did. Now our kingdoms strength is founded over the principle of what a man-or woman is capable of, rather then what they were born into. Reading and writing is made available to all and our guilds stand tall. In recent years, we've just founded the science guild due to one of our royals keen interest into it and of course, the Unseen University is slowly building up. The future is before us, but we do not forget our roots. That is our drive behind Somnium- Our city of Dreams."

Lories question had Bishop look quizzical before he shook his head.

"I'm sorry, I know nothing about such stories. Perhaps if his highness was here or my daughter, they would have been able to answer. They love books and scarcely do I see one or the other, without one."

@york @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Useful

In an instant, Kel was close to the ground as well, though in a kneeling crouch rather than laying flat. In a situation like this, she wouldn't do such a thing, to make it easier for their enemy to sneak upon them and strike a devastating blow, nor would she allow Severus to remain in harm's way. As her eyes scanned the area around them for the killer (and the thought that the female mercenary was a member of them), her hand reached down to the prince's collar and took hold, hauling him up as she stood up.

"We can not stay here, my lord! For now, my armor will protect you as well so do not argue with my actions!"

That was the only warning that the young man received before being picked up and carried like a blushing bride on her day to be wed. Trying make him as small a target as possible with her own body blocking most of the view of him, Kel finally began to beat a hasty retreat across the tourney grounds, the knight surprisingly agile in her heavy armor and carrying a full-grown man with her. Her mind was a race of thoughts as she planned out where they needed to go, who they needed to speak to report and stop this incident from happening again and to catch the culprit.

"We must meet with my charge, Severus, and then we shall speak to the nobility of this land to ask why a knight and a prince of two other lands were nearly killed with a cowardly shot in the dark!"

@C.T. @Gummi Bunnies @Ringmaster
...Of course. That figures, if it ain't one thing, it's another. She didn't drop to the ground like a few others, instead she just turned around almost lazily, piercing green eyes searching for a hint of the would-be ambusher while stifling a snort at the knight. More than a little overdramatic, but she did agree with some of that. Namely, it being a cowardly shot in the dark.

"You know, I really hate archers!" She called out, hoping that if he or she was idiotic enough to attack in the first place, that he or she would also give away her position with a response.

@Ringmaster @The Tactician @Gummi Bunnies
It was the smart thing to do. It was borne of assessment and took into account everything else. That much, Severus had no problem with. It showed a quick-thinking mind which fit into her bodyguard status for Keladry. The fact that she had to do it at all and that he couldn't move fast enough, now that was humiliating. And it scorched his pride like nothing else, to have to rely on others for something as simple as to run. Even then, his mind would be registering details.

The stinging feel where his ear was nicked by the arrow. The sounds of the armor, the breath of Kel as she carried him effortlessly...The way her hair tickled as it brushed his nose and the curve of her neck as he stared at her ear on down. There was a faint detail niggling....But perhaps later, he'd find out.

For whatever reason, he thought of Ivonne and hoped to all the Gods she didn't hear about this story. Somnium would drown in laughter.

---------

In response to the outcry, there was nothing....But she could see the floating lantern, approaching a section on the stands.

A place where Haraise would find another arrow, one of classic craftsmanship and matching the ones for the archery contest. Another clue would be an indention of the grass over the side....Whoever was here, shot at the people from the stands then leaped away over the side to run.

The feeling of hatred was fleeing out to the North....

@C.T. @The Tactician @Gummi Bunnies

"Perhaps you are right. Maybe out there, somewhere, there is a place where I could fit in, and be happy..." a faint smile tugged at the prankster's lips as he takes the rocket, inspecting it for a moment "Thank you, I would love to"
Dipping a finger into his mouth, he'd retrieve it with a small, blue flame dancing at the tip, and light the fuse on the rocket, smiling as he sticks it into the dirt and takes a few strides backward, and blowing out the burning fingertip

Smiling to himself, Jack would mime plugging his ears with two slender, wooden fingers

"Might want to follow suit" he says with a soft chuckle "Something tells me this one's going to be loud~"

@Ringmaster
It certainly was. The explosion rocked the sky and all burned bright. Night turned to day under colors of red, yellow and green. Goblin-Barkers, Elf-Arrows and Dragonfirecrackers filled the air. Such was the fireworks like flowers of flame in the night. A perfect end, to a perfect day....Or was it?

The fireworks were pretty, but there was something else in the air.

At the carnival grounds, a scream filled the air as new figure approached, laughing scornfully at how the people fled from him. His horse was black, a coal-colored charger with red eyes as steam hissed from its nostrils. Its rider, dressed in black armor and bearing no emblem on his shield. It was a figure, that all knights despised. One who had shown up, in mockery of this tournament and all present.

The Black Knight was here and his challenge was thrown down.

----

Elsewhere, an assassin would be running far. Pausing only to look scornfully upon Arendelle as it hissed and vanished. Opportunities would come later.

This was all part of the plan.

----

And on the Castle Grounds, the Queen and King of Arendelle would rise and speak.

"Friends, cousins in nobility, family of my heart and those of distant shores, I bid you welcome. For too long, Arendelle had been shut off from the world. We were insular and hidden, thinking only of our own. But times change and we have realized the importance of unity. We who love the same things, the sunlight and all good things. Tomorrow, we shall honor those who have fought gallantly that such things may be! But tonight! Tonight my friends, will be one to remember!"

They raised their goblets in a toast.

"TO OUR FRIENDS!"

But as they drank, it was clear something was wrong...They choked, their hands went to their throats and people rose up in alarm, healers running as quickly as possible.

But it was too late.

Where once was vibrant life, the King and Queen were dead. And the sudden silence broken by a wail, coming from the daughters of the King and Queen.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Once Upon a Time....

@The Tactician @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @T.O.M. @C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent

It was the smart thing to do. It was borne of assessment and took into account everything else. That much, Severus had no problem with. It showed a quick-thinking mind which fit into her bodyguard status for Keladry. The fact that she had to do it at all and that he couldn't move fast enough, now that was humiliating. And it scorched his pride like nothing else, to have to rely on others for something as simple as to run. Even then, his mind would be registering details.

The stinging feel where his ear was nicked by the arrow. The sounds of the armor, the breath of Kel as she carried him effortlessly...The way her hair tickled as it brushed his nose and the curve of her neck as he stared at her ear on down. There was a faint detail niggling....But perhaps later, he'd find out.

For whatever reason, he thought of Ivonne and hoped to all the Gods she didn't hear about this story. Somnium would drown in laughter.

---------

In response to the outcry, there was nothing....But she could see the floating lantern, approaching a section on the stands.

A place where Haraise would find another arrow, one of classic craftsmanship and matching the ones for the archery contest. Another clue would be an indention of the grass over the side....Whoever was here, shot at the people from the stands then leaped away over the side to run.

It certainly was. The explosion rocked the sky and all burned bright. Night turned to day under colors of red, yellow and green. Goblin-Barkers, Elf-Arrows and Dragonfirecrackers filled the air. Such was the fireworks like flowers of flame in the night. A perfect end, to a perfect day....Or was it?

At the carnival grounds, a scream filled the air as new figure approached, laughing scornfully at how the people fled from him. His horse was black, a coal-colored charger with red eyes as steam hissed from its nostrils. Its rider, dressed in black armor and bearing no emblem on his shield. It was a figure, that all knights despised. One who had shown up, in mockery of this tournament and all present.

----

Elsewhere, an assassin would be running far. Pausing only to look scornfully upon Arendelle as it hissed and vanished. Opportunities would come later.

----

And on the Castle Grounds, the Queen and King of Arendelle would rise and speak.

"Friends, cousins in nobility, family of my heart and those of distant shores, I bid you welcome. For too long, Arendelle had been shut off from the world. We were insular and hidden, thinking only of our own. But times change and we have realized the importance of unity. We who love the same things, the sunlight and all good things. Tomorrow, we shall honor those who have fought gallantly that such things may be! But tonight! Tonight my friends, will be one to remember!"

"TO OUR FRIENDS!"

But as they drank, it was clear something was wrong...They choked, their hands went to their throats and people rose up in alarm, healers running as quickly as possible.

But it was too late.

Where once was vibrant life, the King and Queen were dead. And the sudden silence broken by a wail, coming from the daughters of the King and Queen.

Once Upon a Time....

@The Tactician @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @T.O.M. @C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent

The fireworks burst in the skies above, shining light upon the path from the tourney grounds back to the carnival. It was all Kel needed to find her way along the dirt path, back to safety and away from the assassin's arrows, and soon, they began to approach the tents and stalls once again. However, over the explosions, the knight could hear the screams of scared citizens and peddlers and her eyes narrowed. Before entering the area, Severus would find himself set back on the ground and on his own two feet.

"Lord Severus, I am sorry for the abruptness of our escape, but we must be ready for what lies ahead..."

The dancing and cheering came to a screeching halt as the fireworks above began to erupt into glorious showers of twinkling flames. Where there had been joyful cries of jubilation, Keladry could now only hear the terrified screams of mothers carrying their children in fear and of the older folks cursing the knight. However, these screams were not the source of the princess's fear, of the inescapable terror that began to feel her.

What caused her emotions to twist and turn in terror was the visage of the Black Knight, the man spoken of in legend. The knights of her land spoke of such a figure, and Grishnu had told of how his people had once been corrupted by the man. No, not man. By the beast before her.

Without a word escaping her as she held back a silent scream, the lady in waiting turned to the path that led to the Tourney Ground. She needed to find Kel, to get away to safety. She couldn't allow herself to die and leave her protector with only the pain of having failed her. Thankfully, she did not have to run far before she ran almost head-first into the dame.

"K-Kel, he's here, the knight is here!"

Kel narrowed her eyes as the brief moment of relief that her friend appearing well caused disappeared into alertness, "What knight, Lady Keladry? Is he the one causing the panic up ahead."

"The Black Knight!" The young princess was doing her best to stay calm, but at this point, she had to release some of the inner panic within her through the raising of her voice, "He's here, Kel, and he wishes for, for... I don't know, but he wishes for something..."

Sensing the uncertainty and panic within her friend's heart, Kel shook her head, "It is alright, my lady. Head to the Castle itself and seek asylum within its walls. Make it clear that you require the knights of Cardo to arrive there as well, but do not tell your rank, only that the head of Cardo's royal guard orders it," As the young lady nodded in understanding, she then turned to Severus and bowed her head in humility, as if to ask for him to grace her by listening, "Lord Severus, I have a favor to ask of you. Please, accompany Lady Keladry and help keep her safe... If you feel it would be wiser, visit the tents before you arrive at the castles and bring some of your and our men with to the castle, to make certain that none attack you along the way."

"And what of you, Kel?"

"I?" The knight frowned as she reached behind herself, to a piece of what seemed to plate armor on her back. However, it was not simple piece of metal as she unattached it from the rest, revealing another plate beneath it and the metal's true purpose as a shield. Upon its front, the griffin was painted upon it in white, showing her allegiance as she drew her blade. Now ready prepared, Kel had her answer, "I have a knight to face in trial by combat."

@Ringmaster

----

----

"TO OUR FRIENDS!"

But it was too late.

Once Upon a Time....

"Screams?" Jack murmurs, standing up tall for a moment, glancing about "You heard that too, right?"
He wondered if perhaps his magical fire had enhanced the firework a little too much, and it had injured someone, but that couldn't have happened, he explosion was much too far away to have rained down onto anyone, right?
"I'm going to check what's causing all that ruckus" he says, offering a small smile to Queezle "It was nice meeting you" with a bow, the cloak began to wrap around his wooden limbs, recreating the illusion of humanity he wore like a second skin "I hope our paths cross again sometime"

With a great leap, he launches himself closer to the screaming, attempting to find the source of the commotion

@Ringmaster

---------

The feeling of hatred was fleeing out to the North....​
"...So much for that." She sighed with a slight hunch of her shoulders before dashing forward for a closer look at the stands. Another arrow...and something more. A section of grass, crumpled and crushed...boots. The would be archer assassin took off running. Initial assumption proven wrong, this isn't the work of a stupid assailant. This is a crazy individual...but smart as well. The only question is if this run is truly for escape or if it is baiting to follow.

The fun way to find out is to simply give chase, which is exactly what she did with a sly smirk.​

---------

----

----

"TO OUR FRIENDS!"

But it was too late.

Once Upon a Time....

With the feeling of hatred from another fleeting towards a direction that became too far from the spirit to chase after, Haraise took note of how the feeling of hatred went towards the North. The spirit, however, didn't want to lead a chase against this person, and see if they were the same killer that killed her. Thankfully, another had given chase towards the assassin, leaving Haraise to deal with what else can be found out here.

Speaking of which... an abnormal amount of ruckus began to occur from afar, towards the direction of the town and the castle grounds. Cheers of celebration turned to screams of despair and anguish. Both sources of the screaming sounds were quite hard to notice, as if both situations were equally as terrifying and horrifying to see for the living.

Yet, Haraise began to move towards the castle grounds... thinking that her killer may be involved there. The bigger incidents happen near places of importance, which is the castle. So by her logic, Haraise would see what was there to see regarding the possible traces to her killer.

@Ringmaster

----

"TO OUR FRIENDS!"

But it was too late.

Once Upon a Time....

Whatever Corrin's followup question was, it was lost as she blinked and quieted down when the King and queen stood.

While Arendelle was very different from Hoshido, it did share similarities with Nohr. Both were Monarchies who's people had long adapted to the chill of the air, and she had seen it in dozens of little ways during her visit here. The walls were thick and hardy, the alcohol was strong, and the clothing was warm and tough. The Kingdom only lacked some of Nohr's morbid grandeur and size, else they may have very well been reflections in all save their rulers.

The King of Arendelle was definitely not a reflection of Garon. There was warmth in his eyes and a smile on his face that had nothing to do with the pain of others. His clothing was sturdy and worthy of a royal, fine silks and simple jewels in Arendelle's colors, but it was not the show of decadence and power that was Garon's gold and black full plate. For a brief moment as she finally saw them in the flesh, Corrin found herself wondering how different things would have been had King Garon been a man like this, and not the monster he'd become. How different her homelands would be if the generation before them had chosen peace instead of war...

it seemed that either way, it ended with a King's death.

Corrin was in her feet in an instant despite the shock plain on her face. Her hand reached to her side for a sword that wasn't there, and she growled as her head whipped back and forth to see how other were reacting to the panic. It seemed like a poisoning and was thus unlikely that the assassin was still here, but it would have been stupid to just assume that, and a death in the court may have prompted others to make some rash, accusatory opinion of someone else, and who knew what would happen then. Sure, having her dragonstone meant she wasn't ever really unarmed, but suddenly turning into a fire breathing monstrosity seemed like it would have a really really bad impact on the situation. She couldn't even call for Kaze, because if anything was going to make her look suspicious, it was a ninja bodyguard popping up after a poisoning.

So for now, she simply observed, locking her emotions and reactions away for at least a few seconds while this tragedy played out.

@Ringmaster @york @other hombres at the banquet of DEATH​

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Ringmaster
To Corrin, Bishop nodded.

"It was. She was thrust in the midst of political manipulation, conservatives who had decried the wedding and the rumors of those who had nothing but ill to say behind her back, that she married above her station. But she loved her husband and she loved his parents, who treated her kindly. And she learned very, very quickly. Because she had also been one of the people as well, she knew what were the biggest issues to tackle and not simply the ones thrown towards the crown as publicity stunts. No red tape for her, she simply saw what needed to be done and worked for it. Even selling her personal jewelry to fund it, if she needed to. Her husband thought she was a breath of fresh air and the people grew to love her, as he did. Now our kingdoms strength is founded over the principle of what a man-or woman is capable of, rather then what they were born into. Reading and writing is made available to all and our guilds stand tall. In recent years, we've just founded the science guild due to one of our royals keen interest into it and of course, the Unseen University is slowly building up. The future is before us, but we do not forget our roots. That is our drive behind Somnium- Our city of Dreams."

Lories question had Bishop look quizzical before he shook his head.

"I'm sorry, I know nothing about such stories. Perhaps if his highness was here or my daughter, they would have been able to answer. They love books and scarcely do I see one or the other, without one."

@york @Schee Corp Lawyer @Indolent

----

----

"TO OUR FRIENDS!"

But it was too late.

Once Upon a Time....

Whatever Corrin's followup question was, it was lost as she blinked and quieted down when the King and queen stood.

While Arendelle was very different from Hoshido, it did share similarities with Nohr. Both were Monarchies who's people had long adapted to the chill of the air, and she had seen it in dozens of little ways during her visit here. The walls were thick and hardy, the alcohol was strong, and the clothing was warm and tough. The Kingdom only lacked some of Nohr's morbid grandeur and size, else they may have very well been reflections in all save their rulers.

The King of Arendelle was definitely not a reflection of Garon. There was warmth in his eyes and a smile on his face that had nothing to do with the pain of others. His clothing was sturdy and worthy of a royal, fine silks and simple jewels in Arendelle's colors, but it was not the show of decadence and power that was Garon's gold and black full plate. For a brief moment as she finally saw them in the flesh, Corrin found herself wondering how different things would have been had King Garon been a man like this, and not the monster he'd become. How different her homelands would be if the generation before them had chosen peace instead of war...

Corrin was in her feet in an instant despite the shock plain on her face. Her hand reached to her side for a sword that wasn't there, and she growled as her head whipped back and forth to see how other were reacting to the panic. It seemed like a poisoning and was thus unlikely that the assassin was still here, but it would have been stupid to just assume that, and a death in the court may have prompted others to make some rash, accusatory opinion of someone else, and who knew what would happen then. Sure, having her dragonstone meant she wasn't ever really unarmed, but suddenly turning into a fire breathing monstrosity seemed like it would have a really really bad impact on the situation. She couldn't even call for Kaze, because if anything was going to make her look suspicious, it was a ninja bodyguard popping up after a poisoning.

So for now, she simply observed, locking her emotions and reactions away for at least a few seconds while this tragedy played out.

@Ringmaster @york @other hombres at the banquet of DEATH​
Lorie Fisher
@Ringmaster @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Others?

Lorie sighed, but she nodded understandably; at least she knew who to go to if she wanted to inquite more about her strange vision... But, she couldn't shake the sense that something was about to go wrong. Just then, she noticed the King and Queen of Arandelle rise and begin to speak, though she was only half listening to what they were saying, Lorie was looking around, trying to figure out what felt off all of a sudden. It was only after they drank from their goblets, that she realized there was something wrong... She tried to reach out her hand, to say something, but at that point, it was too late... The couple had already come to pass, it took no genius to figure out that someone had poisoned their drinks, but who? In a guarded place such as this, one would think someone would have noticed an individual sneaking in to place poison in their goblets at some point, unless it was the one they had entrusted to prepare their drinks in the first place, that did the deed...

She fell eerily silent as she scanned the area, keeping a lookout for anything even remotely suspicious... A fleeting figure disappearing into the shadows, a sinister look on someone's face, anything that might give her a clue as to who had done this, or... At least, how it had happened. Even a look of guilt might give away if one of the guards were on the take, or if someone knew more than they were letting on... Having been guilty, though admittedly of something alot less severe in the past, Lorie had a better idea of what to look for.​

• Useful
The fireworks burst in the skies above, shining light upon the path from the tourney grounds back to the carnival. It was all Kel needed to find her way along the dirt path, back to safety and away from the assassin's arrows, and soon, they began to approach the tents and stalls once again. However, over the explosions, the knight could hear the screams of scared citizens and peddlers and her eyes narrowed. Before entering the area, Severus would find himself set back on the ground and on his own two feet.

"Lord Severus, I am sorry for the abruptness of our escape, but we must be ready for what lies ahead..."

The dancing and cheering came to a screeching halt as the fireworks above began to erupt into glorious showers of twinkling flames. Where there had been joyful cries of jubilation, Keladry could now only hear the terrified screams of mothers carrying their children in fear and of the older folks cursing the knight. However, these screams were not the source of the princess's fear, of the inescapable terror that began to feel her.

What caused her emotions to twist and turn in terror was the visage of the Black Knight, the man spoken of in legend. The knights of her land spoke of such a figure, and Grishnu had told of how his people had once been corrupted by the man. No, not man. By the beast before her.

Without a word escaping her as she held back a silent scream, the lady in waiting turned to the path that led to the Tourney Ground. She needed to find Kel, to get away to safety. She couldn't allow herself to die and leave her protector with only the pain of having failed her. Thankfully, she did not have to run far before she ran almost head-first into the dame.

"K-Kel, he's here, the knight is here!"

Kel narrowed her eyes as the brief moment of relief that her friend appearing well caused disappeared into alertness, "What knight, Lady Keladry? Is he the one causing the panic up ahead."

"The Black Knight!" The young princess was doing her best to stay calm, but at this point, she had to release some of the inner panic within her through the raising of her voice, "He's here, Kel, and he wishes for, for... I don't know, but he wishes for something..."

Sensing the uncertainty and panic within her friend's heart, Kel shook her head, "It is alright, my lady. Head to the Castle itself and seek asylum within its walls. Make it clear that you require the knights of Cardo to arrive there as well, but do not tell your rank, only that the head of Cardo's royal guard orders it," As the young lady nodded in understanding, she then turned to Severus and bowed her head in humility, as if to ask for him to grace her by listening, "Lord Severus, I have a favor to ask of you. Please, accompany Lady Keladry and help keep her safe... If you feel it would be wiser, visit the tents before you arrive at the castles and bring some of your and our men with to the castle, to make certain that none attack you along the way."

"And what of you, Kel?"

"I?" The knight frowned as she reached behind herself, to a piece of what seemed to plate armor on her back. However, it was not simple piece of metal as she unattached it from the rest, revealing another plate beneath it and the metal's true purpose as a shield. Upon its front, the griffin was painted upon it in white, showing her allegiance as she drew her blade. Now ready prepared, Kel had her answer, "I have a knight to face in trial by combat."
Severus nodded, reaching to grab Keladry's hand before looking at Kel seriously.

"Gods be with you Dame Kel. And be wary- Between his appearance and that horrible assassination attempt, I think there's more here then we see."

A single bolt? Why not two? A really good archer could have done it....Used the first arrow to check and the second to hit the target. If he died, it would have accomplished the shooters goal...As he didn't? Well, the old brain was beginning to spark as Severus tried to make sense with what he had. And then he shook his head as he turned to Lady Keladry.

"This way then."

See what exploring the grounds earlier did. Though they went at a brisk walk, Severus led Lady Keladry through a route pre-made in his mind. It avoided the crowd rush and kept them out of sight of assassins. All the while, he didn't let go of her hand either till he was sure they wouldn't be separated. Guards rushed past and at one point, there was a brief feeling of something in the air but it passed by quick as a wink. The castle laid before them.

Something appeared to be going on.
"Screams?" Jack murmurs, standing up tall for a moment, glancing about "You heard that too, right?"
He wondered if perhaps his magical fire had enhanced the firework a little too much, and it had injured someone, but that couldn't have happened, he explosion was much too far away to have rained down onto anyone, right?
"I'm going to check what's causing all that ruckus" he says, offering a small smile to Queezle "It was nice meeting you" with a bow, the cloak began to wrap around his wooden limbs, recreating the illusion of humanity he wore like a second skin "I hope our paths cross again sometime"

With a great leap, he launches himself closer to the screaming, attempting to find the source of the commotion
Jack would have the best view, as it were if only briefly. Between leaps, he'd see the rush of humanity and otherwise, scattering in fear as guards on patrol and from the castle came directly for the direction of the dance circle. There, a knight with a griffin on her shield approached a massive knight in black armor. Stories had spread, of a being known as the Black Knight. Some were even true but here, he seemed to be relishing in the fear he had imparted. On his chestplate, the armor was formatted in the style of dragon scales and his helm, a snarling dragons mouth.

Calling aloud, he roared.

"I AM THE BLACK KNIGHT! WHERE ARE YOUR RULERS, MASTERS OF THE TOURNAMENT! I HAVE ARRIVED!"

@DapperDogman @The Tactician
"...So much for that." She sighed with a slight hunch of her shoulders before dashing forward for a closer look at the stands. Another arrow...and something more. A section of grass, crumpled and crushed...boots. The would be archer assassin took off running. Initial assumption proven wrong, this isn't the work of a stupid assailant. This is a crazy individual...but smart as well. The only question is if this run is truly for escape or if it is baiting to follow.

The fun way to find out is to simply give chase, which is exactly what she did with a sly smirk.
The trail was odd, one indention heavier then the other in the run. It also led to the gates, where the trail went cold...For most, unless she wished to try to surpass it with an Intelligence DC of 15. Otherwise, the trail would be stymied here.

A bit of searching detected the odd footprints off the road and heading for the hills and woods. Dangerous area, especially by night. Though the wolves of Arendelle didn't usually lurk this close to town, there was always a chance of danger. But regardless, this was the direction to go.

@C.T.
With the feeling of hatred from another fleeting towards a direction that became too far from the spirit to chase after, Haraise took note of how the feeling of hatred went towards the North. The spirit, however, didn't want to lead a chase against this person, and see if they were the same killer that killed her. Thankfully, another had given chase towards the assassin, leaving Haraise to deal with what else can be found out here.

Speaking of which... an abnormal amount of ruckus began to occur from afar, towards the direction of the town and the castle grounds. Cheers of celebration turned to screams of despair and anguish. Both sources of the screaming sounds were quite hard to notice, as if both situations were equally as terrifying and horrifying to see for the living.

Yet, Haraise began to move towards the castle grounds... thinking that her killer may be involved there. The bigger incidents happen near places of importance, which is the castle. So by her logic, Haraise would see what was there to see regarding the possible traces to her killer.
Haraise's light flared long and bright, so intense were the emotions. Like a maelstrom, it seemed to surround the castle...As did something else, perceptible only to her. Some foul influence left upon the grounds, that shifted its attention over all in the kingdom. It lingered on her, dismissed her of no importance and shifted away. At that point, a voice called out.

"You. You're the spirit that was back at the grounds."

Severus had just arrived with Lady Keladry as he let go of her hand and approached the lantern as he spoke in a voice of regal intonation.

"Why are you here? Are you some portent of death? Speak spirit, I listen."

@Gummi Bunnies @The Tactician

Lorie sighed, but she nodded understandably; at least she knew who to go to if she wanted to inquite more about her strange vision... But, she couldn't shake the sense that something was about to go wrong. Just then, she noticed the King and Queen of Arandelle rise and begin to speak, though she was only half listening to what they were saying, Lorie was looking around, trying to figure out what felt off all of a sudden. It was only after they drank from their goblets, that she realized there was something wrong... She tried to reach out her hand, to say something, but at that point, it was too late... The couple had already come to pass, it took no genius to figure out that someone had poisoned their drinks, but who? In a guarded place such as this, one would think someone would have noticed an individual sneaking in to place poison in their goblets at some point, unless it was the one they had entrusted to prepare their drinks in the first place, that did the deed...

She fell eerily silent as she scanned the area, keeping a lookout for anything even remotely suspicious... A fleeting figure disappearing into the shadows, a sinister look on someone's face, anything that might give her a clue as to who had done this, or... At least, how it had happened. Even a look of guilt might give away if one of the guards were on the take, or if someone knew more than they were letting on... Having been guilty, though admittedly of something alot less severe in the past, Lorie had a better idea of what to look for.
The daughters of the king and queen were distraught. The younger, being led away by a handsome looking fellow, looking with an empathetic look at the bodies. The older one, seemed to be frozen in her own thoughts. Speechless, with dead eyes that stared blankly. Everyone else seemed to be in varying degrees of shocks. Bishop rose to his feet and yelled.

"GUARDS! NO ONE GOES IN OR OUT, TILL WE CHECK EVERYONE HERE!"

They sprung to attention, Bishops forces working with the Arendelle ones and as protests began to raise, Bishop raised his hands.

"Hear me...HEAR ME!" He snapped out in a voice that had cut through battlefields and the nobles were silent. A few moments later, he spoke with heat.

"Two royals, peaceful and beloved of their nation were killed before our eyes. We will do our best to ensure that we find out who the responsible party was and may they have favor with their gods."

He stared and those in his line of sight flinched. The genial noble had left and in its place, the Drow-Killer was here as he spoke.

"Because they will find none with me. Guards! If this is some two pronged attack, then the people are in danger. Send a force down to the carnival."

"Sir!"

People began to march off and Bishop stepped back. Several choices presented itself.

To talk to the kings daughters.

To examine the bodies, currently being moved out of respect.

Or anything else that came to mind.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @york

Status
Not open for further replies.