The Grim Legion; the Assassins Guild of Mora Fane

Are you still accepting folks for this, Squee?
Yes, especially since 2 applicants have yet to reply to my critiques. We haven't started yet.

Feel free to ask questions

No worries, half done. Will have a character sheet up tomorrow/tonight depending on your time zone.

Reactions: Squee
Fenris Cal Dane

berserk4.jpg

Height: 7'1"

Race: Berserker

Speciality: Brute

Personality
Arrogant, vain and prone to unpredictable outbursts of violence in his youth, Fenris, now in his later years, has become a ruthlessly cool and calculating thinker. His once barely contained emotions have been tempered by decades of blood, smoke and desperation into something very much like sharpened steel. Sharpened though that steel may be, it is always hidden, sheathed within a veneer of amiability, laying dormant and lethal until the time is right, for Fenris is patient as Winter. A century of bloodshed has crafted Fenris into an expert of armed and unarmed combat, whether it be cutting men down with his axe or silently cutting throats with his dagger.
Although he doesn't let it show, Fenris despises humans, blaming them for his clans exile and ultimate destruction. He hopes one day to return to Valhalla to exact his revenge, and take the throne, but to realise his desire, he'd need a great and terrible power. A demonic power. For now, he waits, he works. He searches.

Weapons and Armour
"D'Tsul" Ancestral Axe
Due to the notoriously bad record keeping of Beserkers, past and present, it is impossible to ascertain the true age of D'tsul, the Dane clans Ancestral axe. Thanks to runes on the axe head, it is possible to trace its origin back to the forges of Chatou, but little else is known for certain. Not when it was made, and certainly not when and where it was enchanted. D'Tsul is a large single bladed war axe of unremarkable appearance. Its enchantment makes it feel almost weightless, it never dulls, never breaks and can cut through some of the strongest unenchanted armour. D'Tsul has been in the hands of a Dane chieftain since time immemorial.
Two oversized, large bore, single shot pistols
Ebony wood and steel inlaid with gold and silver. Heavy, clunky, unreliable, slow to reload, loud, and impressive when they work. Stolen during a raid on the leonsill-Begix Territory border many years ago, almost never fail to get someone talking when they don't want to talk.
Lots and lots of knives
Varying sizes and locations. In his boots, under his boots, strapped to his legs, his back, anywhere you can hide a knife. You can never have too many knives.

Magical Ability

Although some Berserker clans shun magic altogether, the strongest and most feared each practice a form of ancestral magic unique to their clan. Transferral of magical abilities and knowledge within a clan is conducted as a rite of passage. It starts with a child's first tattoo, signalling the beginning of adulthood, typically starting on a child's 10th​ year. The transferral continues or stops depending on a Berserkers progression or status within their clan, the most heavily tattooed being the most proficient. With some exceptions, Berserker magic is typically defensive or physically enhancing in nature.
Three form shield.
Its initial form is the first magic learned by a clan member. With the correct technique, a wielder forms an ice blue disc of energy along the left forearm, essentially acting as a weightless, far stronger version of a conventional shield. It is not indestructible and can drain an inexperienced user quickly. This first from tends to grown in size and durability as the user gains experience wielding it. The second form, reserved only for proven warriors, extends this energy across the wielders entire body at skin level, although weaker than the condensed first form, and much harder to maintain, it provides life saving resilience in times of crisis. The third form is used only by clan leaders and their seconds. A two handed skill which draws a tremendous amount of energy from the Berserker body to radiate a spherical dome approximately 4 metres in diameter. Only used in the most dire of circumstances as the strain on the wielder can be fatal.
Shimmer
Although simple, shimmer is an incredibly useful tool in the Dane clans arsenal. Shimmer creates a reflective field of energy over the users skin. A Dane using shimmer in dense forest can become almost invisible, making it the perfect tool for ambush. This skill is taught early on in a clan members development
Rage
A sharp burst of energy enhancing the body on multiple levels. Heightened senses, strength and speed. An experienced user can 'tone' this ability on multiple levels. Either increasing or decreasing power when needed. Rage is only taught to trusted and experienced warriors, for its seductive powers are easily abused. Channelling too much rage can easily drain and destroy a berserker body.

History
Fenris was born into one of the most feared of the Valhalla Besrserker clans. The Danes. His father Gmork, was widely respected during the times of conflict, and land won by honour, until the Danes way of life was changed for ever. For many of the weaker clans, the human queen of Valhalla with her great unification, was their salvation. For the raiding clans of the frozen mountains and forests it was an insult, and for many, a death sentence. Rather than bend the knee to a human monarch, clan Dane drifted back into the frigid wastes to became nomadic hunters. Fenris became bitter and resentful of his fathers apparent indifference to the honour of his clan.
Fenris wanted blood and a return to the old ways, leading other young Danes on forbidden raids to settle old feuds against other isolated clans. Gmork wanted unity, and on his deathbed bid his son to unite the other clans who wouldn't bow to human rule but were still too afraid to make a stand. Fenris accepted, but pursued his father cause in his own selfish way, carving a name for himself out of the bodies of his enemies. Those who wouldn't kneel to him, were put to the blade. A force of the Queens best eventually caught up with and decimated his clan. Dane and a few survivors left Valhalla for Leonsill.
The decades that followed would see Fenris and his small crew raiding along the Leonsill borders with The Begix Territory and Verdesa, their capture and imprisonment in Rothendust, their eventual escape from prison and their enrolment in a mercenary group. During an expedition through international territory, the mercenary group, along with the rest of Danes comrades would perish in an event Fenris will never speak of. An event which opened Fenirs' eyes to a dark and terrible power.
Fenris, after many more years of wandering, would eventually arrive in Mora Fane, alone and destitute, and as proficient a killer as ever.

Attachments

• berserk4.jpg
    berserk4.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
"D'Tsul" Ancestral Axe
I'd say it can also contest with other magical weapons and armor as well, he wouldn't need a new weapon to cut through Espers just more power, which you've got covered anyway.
Magical Ability
Yes. I don't say perfect often, but this right here is a perfect execution of the kind of magic a berserker would have while also still fitting into the assassin theme.
Whenever I read a history, I assume it is from the characters perspective. It's fine if that's how they see Herleva, but she was historically not a tyrant. Given how she obtained her position, though, it's easy to see how they could come to this conclusion, I just need to make sure you, the player, are aware of that. She's also not the currently acting Queen, she passed long ago. Timeline wise she probably passed during your grandfathers time.

I have no issues with this history, just a few relevant details to the character.

Reactions: Asinis
Sorry for not posting yet, some things came up unexpectedly and has been keeping my occupied. I should have my character posted by tonight.

"D'Tsul" Ancestral Axe
I'd say it can also contest with other magical weapons and armor as well, he wouldn't need a new weapon to cut through Espers just more power, which you've got covered anyway.
Magical Ability
Yes. I don't say perfect often, but this right here is a perfect execution of the kind of magic a berserker would have while also still fitting into the assassin theme.
Whenever I read a history, I assume it is from the characters perspective. It's fine if that's how they see Herleva, but she was historically not a tyrant. Given how she obtained her position, though, it's easy to see how they could come to this conclusion, I just need to make sure you, the player, are aware of that. She's also not the currently acting Queen, she passed long ago. Timeline wise she probably passed during your grandfathers time.

I have no issues with this history, just a few relevant details to the character.

Cheers for the feedback Squee. I understand Herlava wasn't a tyrant, i was just factoring it in to my characters warped point of view. I might rework the history a little, as im not completely happy with it. Cant wait until this gets rolling.

Sorry for not posting yet, some things came up unexpectedly and has been keeping my occupied. I should have my character posted by tonight.
Take your time, I'm not one to rush these things.
Cheers for the feedback Squee. I understand Herlava wasn't a tyrant, i was just factoring it in to my characters warped point of view. I might rework the history a little, as im not completely happy with it. Cant wait until this gets rolling.
That's fine, I don't mind if a character has a different interpretation of the world history than is technically "fact" Especially since that kind of thing does happen. Hopefully we'll start soon but there's a few people I'll be waiting on. In the mean time I keep working on the lore thread.

I still would like a timeline, or at least something that can give my character a real age since it's currently "anywhere between 90 and 300".

Or age doesn't really matter anymore.

Last edited:
I still would like a timeline, or at least something that can give my character a real age since it's currently "anywhere between 90 and 300".

Or age doesn't really matter anymore.
RIGHT

In the Cannon timeline the captain of the old roleplay was Volan Regal, who succeeded in finding their diamond around 30 years ago. He spent its power to help the crew get off the island they were on which was an Eldritch Location that wouldn't let the people off. There's a passage about him added in since I've made this thread under historical figures.

While I'm waiting I'm gona flesh out my character profile, buff up weapons a bit, change my character history quite a bit. Also, would anyone like to develop some back story between our characters? Like have we worked together before, do we like or hate each other? Might spice things up a bit.

While I'm waiting I'm gona flesh out my character profile, buff up weapons a bit, change my character history quite a bit. Also, would anyone like to develop some back story between our characters? Like have we worked together before, do we like or hate each other? Might spice things up a bit.

Possibly! :D I'll PM you!

I'm down for some of that if you guys feel like adding me.

Reactions: junebug

Awesome, Ill get back to you

Definitely, More the merrier

Awesome, Ill get back to you

Definitely, More the merrier

Maybe Asinis can add you! I'm unable to find the add button on mobile.

Ill try lol, if I dont its because i'm useless, not because im rude. XD

Edit: Done, no, not useless after all.

• Haha
Making my character's background more definitive than bullet points is on the to do list today.

Reactions: TheDevil'sGame
Still have tons of questions (can't even count how many I've asked Squee lmfao), but I'm getting there with finishing up Dhara. Weapons/armor and magic are technically the only places I have left and both will be considerably more difficult to complete.

How are you coming along?

@Mid Seeing as how you have not responded to my critiques and questions if you do not respond within 24 hours of this post I will assume you have withdrawn your application.