The Green Thorne Bed and Breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patrick made the call to the towing company, telling them vaguely where he was with the address on a pad of paper next to the phone. They said they'd find the car and bring it to - where was he? Oh, right. The Green Thorne Bed and Breakfast. Interesting name for a place, though he wondered if the towing company would charge him an insane amount just to find the car and the place. He hoped not. He probably would just put the car in the street and leave it there, if it came to that. He sighed. How was he going to get anywhere away from here, anyway? It was a good thing the owner offered him a meal, since it looked like he was going to be doing dishes for payment after this one time, again...

He looked glum, and almost didn't notice that the owner was talking to him again. "Oh, I'm horrible. I'm Noah Thorne, owner of the B&B and you are?"

"Patrick Arlin," Patrick said as he was herded into back porch. He stared at the food. Wow. He hadn't seen anything this fancy in a while. It woke him up a bit. And the guests... two hot women. Patrick started to pull himself out of his mood. This could turn into a good thing, right? He turned to the woman in a tank top and shorts. "What a fancy place!" he commented to her. "I don't know where I am at all, but I guess I made it to a good bed and breakfast. How's that lemonade?"

Patrick decided just to focus on the food and the ladies and whatever weird things might happen could stay the hell away as far as he was concerned. Noises? What noises? There were no noises coming from the front of the house...

People were here and there and Noah was calling orders on top of it all. Joshua blinked a few times, dizzy from the sudden change of pace. He counted heads, then slipped away to the kitchen to acquire the appropriate number of meals.

Once he stepped out onto the back porch, a gentle breeze kissed Joshua's face, making him smile a little. The breeze also wafted the delicious scent of the food across the whole porch, no doubt making a few stomachs growl. Joshua was quite certain of and proud of his cooking and he served each guest with a charming smile. Once everyone had their meal, he retrieved the lemonade and served that as well. Only then did he make his way over to Noah, placing a gentle hand upon the man's shoulder.

Nothing was said, though they'd worked together long enough for Noah to understand Joshua's looks and expressions. It wasn't that Joshua was easy to read either, just that his employer had some kind of knack for it. Message delivered, he turned on his heel and headed back into the kitchen. He'd need Noah's approval of the dessert just like he'd gotten for the meal itself earlier.

"Cutting board..." the cook mumbled to himself and then realized it hadn't been cleaned. Of course the only thing he could do was wash it, so he moved over to the sink to get started.

Nervous and hesitant, especially with the heartbroken bride taking precedence, Vanessa stepped over the threshold of the house with a small step and looked around. It was as if she still expected to be yelled at for coming near the place. More people seemed to be spilling from the woodwork, which made her feel oddly more at ease. The smell of cooking food grew stronger with the next few steps that she took into the room.

Nessa knew Noah, vaguely, since he had been the next to inherit the house. He wasn't much older than her, though, and she still remembered him as a lanky teenager, which was very different from his image now. The way that he looked now, she thought, clicking her manicured nails against one another, was almost inspiring. Another man, less of an eyecandy but still seeming to be quite pleasant, presented her with some food and a smile. She returned his smile with one of her own.

She had just realized that she was truly very hungry and she plunged her fork into the salad with all due gusto. The lemonade was also delicious and she had to remind herself that, despite the nostalgia, she was to act refined. Therefore, she did not allow herself to gulp the lemonade down in two drinks. But she wanted to do it. The meal could only distract her for so long and, happily, she thought of her laptop in her bags and how she would begin an exciting new story with maybe a splash of delicious romance. Bestseller or not, Nessa just loved to write the things.

"I don't need anyone to take my things but, so I know... which room is mine?" Nessa inquired of Noah, hoping that he did not remember her as the freckly little girl in pink overalls who kept trying to sneak onto the property. She looked so different from then, she doubted he would be able to tell. It was just a worry of hers...

Lotte looked up at the man who had walked over near her. She resisted the urge to glare, instead forcing a strained smile. Well, maybe if she was polite, he'd leave her alone until she could get over her emotions. That hope was shattered when he started talking to her.

"The lemonade is fine," she said, taking a sip of it to prove the point. "See?" Her words came out harsher than she intended, and she found herself sighing and raising a hand to forestall any hurt feelings. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be rude. I'm just. I'm just having a long day." She extended a hand to him. "I'm Lotte. What's your name?"

"No kidding," Patrick snorted, taking Lotte's hand. "My car breaks down in the middle of a dark forest with shadows following me for miles... And I don't even know where I am." He stopped abruptly, realizing he probably sounded crazy. "Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm Patrick." He poured himself a glass of lemonade. "So, uh, any idea where we are? I mean I was just driving down a highway and my car broke down and I walked for a long time and this is the first place I came to. An old fashioned bed and breakfast, right here. Are you staying here? What do you know about the place?"

Noah had smiled of course at Nessa and shown her the room that had been selected for her. It was a nice quiet room with large bay windows and another window over the bed. It was on the second story, in fact all the guest rooms were on the second story. Nessa's room was a bit away from Lotte's room, since Noah had been expecting newlyweds. Not now though.

He had found himself eating lunch and listening to his guests chatter and had winced inwardly and tried to ignore Lotte's sharp tongue as she talked to Patrick. He did she'd consider being nicer, after all... Not all men would do that to a nice lady. Not that Noah knew she was a nice lady, but he hoped she was. He felt Josh's hand on his shoulder and quickly stuffed the last bite of his salad into his mouth and finished his lemonade before picking up his dishes.

"Excuse me." He smiled at the guests and got up, following his cook into the kitchen. He was almost worried about what Josh would tell him, not thinking about dessert for a moment. Patrick's words going on his head. He didn't believe in hauntings, not exactly anyway. He knew the house was 'special' though and he loved it. The grounds around it were special in completely other ways. Not even Noah really wanted to be outside after dark, especially in the summer. He ran a hand through his hair. "Is there something you need Joshua?" He found himself leaning against a counter, looking a little preoccupied, a subtle frown developing between his brows.

The house was nearly silent, only the quiet sound of the breeze could be heard. At least until Gandolf began to squawk and talk 'to himself' in the attic bedroom. Around the House, the wind sighed and the trees rustled accordingly. The day was heading on into the evening as shadows began to lengthen and change.
The wind was picking up, clouds forming and gathering and darkening all while the guests sat on the back porch.

Rinsing soap from the chopping board, Joshua glanced over his shoulder as Noah entered the kitchen. There was a pause before the other spoke, and of course that meant something was on the boss' mind. After drying the board, he turned around only to catch the frown on Noah's handsome face. Admittedly, the sight made the cook curious as much as it made his heart flutter and he turned back around yet again to hide the color on his cheeks.

For a moment he gazed off into nothing, remembering the first time he realized Noah affected him a lot like She once had. It was just after he'd come to work for the man. A slow month. Then again, not a lot of people traveled during December, even if it was a snowless one...

Blinking back to reality, Joshua set the board down on the counter next to Noah and moved to the fridge. A brief moment hidden behind the door with only his rear poking past the edge before the cook returned to the counter with a pizza pan wrapped in cellophane. "Dessert needs your approval," he finally said, quelling with his softest, most comforting smile any worries he might have caused the other.

Unwrapped and shifted from pan to board, the dessert du jour was a delicious fruit pizza composed of fresh toppings, a cream cheese sauce, and a perfectly moist yet firm graham cracker crust. It gleamed as it was pushed onto the board, the glaze catching the kitchen lighting. Definitely not as healthy as lunch itself had been, but judging from the mood of the bride and the lack of a groom, he suspected a yummy dessert was just what was needed.

Cutting a wedge and lifting it onto a plate, Joshua forked a bite into his mouth before handing the food over to Noah for his own taste test. He leaned his hip against the counter, crossing his arms over his chest, waiting for a reaction. Outside, he could hear the wind as it roughed up the treetops and carried down onto the property. He glanced toward the window to see a darkening sky and frowned. "Looks like a storm is brewing, Noah," he muttered. "Better get the guests back indoors."

Noah smiled at the dessert, how could he not? Joshua was such a gem and that dessert fruit pizza was beyond gorgeous. "You've out done yourself, Joshua..." He murmured and cut his own bite off of Joshua's slice, the fork lingering between his lips as he savored the delicate flavor, the glaze perfect and the crust! He was in heaven and for a moment there was no tearing thoughts biting at his consciousness.

"This is one of the best things I've ever ate, thank you." he sat down the sweet treat and look up, listening to the wind. Noah shot a look out the window and frowned again. "It's not too close... but yes, I agree. The guests can eat dessert in the dining room. Will you set the places while I herd them back inside?" Noah didn't wait for an answer as he reached over and touched Joshua's arm before leaving for the back porch and his errant guests.

"I'm afraid there's a storm on the way, ladies and gentlemen. Dessert will be served in the main dining room presently." He gave them a wide, 'all is fine' smile and helped grab the dirty dishes and settle the chairs against the house as well as the tables. He'd hate to have to hunt them down later, especially with them all soggy and wet.

Noah watched his guests all trundle inside, at least there wasn't any loud complaints or anything like that. The wind picked up, whipping against his face. The clouds were low on the horizon; they looked heavy and dark. The scent of rain was heavy in the thick honeysuckle perfumed hair. Sickly sweet. The wind picked up, gaining it's distinctive wolf howl. Noah slipped inside the house with the dishes, setting them in the sink to be taken care of as he went and shut all the windows. There was a nervous energy to the Boss and he had to stop to center himself, speaking to Gandolf for a moment or two.

Evening came with the first pitterpatter of rain on the tin roof. The little sound quickly became the sound of a thousand tiny stampeding horses over the heads of the guests as the tin amplified the noise in unique ways. The wind rose higher, tormenting the trees and making them bend, not just sway.

Dinner was served, electricity was still on but there was a great many candles lit just in case. Just in case. There was another sweet dessert and then the guests were allowed to continue to socialize while Noah helped Joshua with the kitchen work. The clock was soon striking ten and the storm certainly hadn't abated any.

"Good call, Joshua."

As day progressed to night, Lotte found herself progressing through moods. Her tension finally started to slip away with the sound of the howling wind and the pouring rain. Her only real annoyance was being herded inside while the wonderfully stormy afternoon and evening was outside. She found herself a seat near a window and watched the rain come down for a couple hours.

After dinner, she found herself heading back to the window, but paused, instead glancing at the other guests. She should really socialize. She should. But the candles loaned a strange ambiance to the old place, and Lotte was struck by a strange feeling of being trapped. The storm outside and the candles within gave her the momentary feeling of being trapped in a gothic romance.

Now you're just being silly, Lotte.
She started for the stairs, intending to forgo interaction in exchange for a nap, but the closer she got to the stairs, the less she really wanted to be alone. Again, she turned, this time trying to find the young man who'd spoken with her at lunch.

Praise from Noah always made Joshua feel warm and fuzzy inside and this time was no different. Because he had no one else in his life, pleasing the boss had become his highest priority. He gave a small bow in thanks, though is gaze never left those lips, watching them with pink cheeks as Noah tasted the dessert in a rather sensual manner. Another compliment followed and his stomach fluttered.

However, the mood was ruined by his own comment about the weather, the atmosphere immediately changing to one of concern as Noah gave orders and quickly left the kitchen. The cook sighed a little to himself, but then he put on a smile and did as he was asked. Before long he was back in the kitchen to prepare dinner, silently hoping that the power would remain on long enough for him to finish cooking. Luckily it obeyed, though the weather outside only seemed to worsen and he took to lighting candles as a precaution but also to add a little warm glow to the house.

It still wasn't enough to eradicate the nightly feeling of being watched from the shadows.

Sighing, his dismissed the feeling like he did every night: as his personal paranoia and returned to his task of washing dinner's dishes. It'd been a late meal that night, but a grand one for the arrival of their guests, and Joshua was thankful for Noah's help in the kitchen.

Before he knew it, he was reading ten on the microwave clock but still the storm would not let up. He nodded at the other's words, rinsing off the last plate before pulling the plug and drying his hands. "It's just the same as the night I came to The Green Thorne..." he softly replied, pausing a moment to watch the rain beat against the window. He hung up his apron as if he were on autopilot while he lost himself in his memories once again.

Rain coming down in sheets, the wind whipping and clawing at his clothes. He didn't know where he was going or what he had been doing, though he knew whatever he'd encountered in that forest had given him a terrible beating. He'd found this cozy house out in the middle of nowhere, the warm light emanating from the windows like a beacon to safety. With the dark forest to his back, he'd felt very exposed. It was the same now, looking out into the thick of trees and feeling like someone or something was looking right back.

They have not found you...

The lights flickered then and just one look at Joshua would have given away how tense he'd become. Still, he smiled, trailing a hand along Noah's back as he passed by on his way out of the kitchen. With a candle in hand, he started on his rounds of the house, making sure all windows and doors were closed and locked. He also had to check if the roof was leaking, but that involved venturing up to the attic rooms. Now he was standing at the bottom of the stairs, having passed by the abandoned bride a few seconds prior, staring up to where the steps split off into the second floor. Further up, he could hear that parrot, talking to himself again.

The hairs on the back of his neck slowly stood on end.

Rich awoke in the middle of yard. How in the hell did that happen? He was not sure how to take in his surroundings. The sound of vomit possibly fell upon his ears. It twitched. The need to move was overtaking him again. Pleasant smells were present in the air. The rain had made the air light enough to enjoy, like fat-free yogurt.

"Dinner?" he whispered, water pushed from the warm lung air.

Still in a groggy daze, he stood up and made a final push to reach the front porch. His clothes were so drenched that his form started to show. It was cold. Grass rustled under the cheap department store shoes. His fedora fell the back of his head with the cold air touching the head skin. It caused a little shiver. The backpack weighted just enough make the walk kind of veer off left. Rich tried his best to stay up before reaching the porch.

Noah had listened to Joshua, had watched him, lost in his memories. "Mhm..." He murmured and looked outside in the pitch black darkness. It was loud, the trees and the wind and the constant downpour of rain. Noah was probably the only one in the house who wasn't creeped out, he was used to it and to all the 'quirks' the house presented. As far as he was concerned, he was safe inside the house.

The hand that touched his back sent him right out of his own train of thoughts and he stared at Joshua's retreating form. "Going to check the roof? I'll come with you." He laid his hand towel on the counter and followed Joshua up to the base of the stairs, passing by the front door. He stopped, letting Josh wander ahead of him. He swore that there was someone outside. Someone on the front porch. Someone who had gotten lost perhaps? It did happen after all. He was certain that he wasn't due for another guest, but sometimes he did get random ones who'd rather stay there instead of in town at the hotel/motels.

Of course, it could be something else. He swallowed hard, feeling himself pale around the edges. "Joshua..." He called out softly, looking up at him. He swallowed again and with a fast movement clicked on the outside lights, flooding the wet front porch with warm yellow light. He breathed a sigh of relief. That was definitely just a person. A person he could deal with. "Hello out there? Do you need some help?"

He looked directly into the light, and it blinded him. Using his fedora, Rich was able to recover from the temporary sight hindrance. A man's voice caught his ears. It seemed to be wondering if he needed help.

"Sir, it's raining harder then a boxer can throw a punch. I have some money. So maybe I can come in and get something to eat?" he spoke through some wind.

There wasn't much to do. The first priority was go get inside, from the wet, windy cold. Though the light helped a bit in the temperature department, Rich was sure to catch a cold soon. He shook to get some of the water of his face. Food still lingered in his mind. Stomach growls rumbled the torso. Even an slice of bread would make him jump for joy.

"I don't intend to be rude, but it is just really cold out here. May I at least dry off?"

Once the storms started, the towing company called back to say there was no way they were going to get the car, besides no one would be going through the forest for a couple of days so it was fine if they took their time. Patrick cursed as he hung up the phone. Now what was he going to do? He probably had $20 in his pocket. He could do dishes here. He doubted they'd keep offering him lunch for being lost in the woods. Maybe he could hide under the porch and sleep there, since there was no way he could afford to stay at the place.

Meantime, he wandered around the public area of the B&B and stared forlornly at the rain. After a while he found an empty sitting room at the back of the house and paced around until Lotte entered the room. He stopped and whirled around when he heard footsteps enter. "Oh, um, hi, Lotte," Patrick said, trying to assume a nonchalant pose. "Nice place, isn't it? Pretty fancy. And all these books in this room. I bet people have hung out here for hours during storms." He was trying really hard not to to look too worried, after all, this was a pretty woman and he didn't want to make the wrong impression.

Noah blinked as all those words tumbled out of the man's mouth, his own lips quirked in a smile. "Of course. I wouldn't let you get sick or freeze... It'd be rude." He helped the man inside the house and was glad that the doorway was somewhat hidden from the formal Living room where all the guests were. "I'm Noah Thorne, the owner of this Bed and Breakfast... C'mon. You look about my size. We'll get you dry and some clothes on you... and then some food in you." He smiled kindly, trying to be gentle. Every summer was the same. People showed up in the storms and normally without money. Noah tried to make do as best he could. Another smile crossed his face. Joshua hadn't shown up in the summer. No, Joshua wasn't in the season of castaways... Joshua was special.

"We'll go upstairs, you can use my shower. Fresh clean towels and clothes..." Noah was leading the soaked man towards the stairs and Joshua.

"Hey Joshua, after you check on the roof will you go whip up something hot? Hot soup and maybe a pot of tea or coffee for this gentleman? He was caught in the storm."

Right foot hovering over the very first step, Joshua kept his gaze above and though the second floor lights were on, he still felt like he was a small child walking into a dark and dangerous room. Finally he put his foot down and pushed himself forward, right foot meeting the second stair. But he stopped yet again, this time because he'd heard his name from behind. Twisting at the waist to glance back, Joshua offered Noah, for it had been Noah calling to him, a questioning look.

He knew exactly what that expression meant, the one Noah was returning. This place was a strange one and although floorboards often creaked without warning, doors that should have been closed were found open, and objects moved without aid, Noah had never once showed fear about living in this house. The forest however... Something about that place terrified the boss just as much as it did Joshua.

The cook was about to say a few reassuring words when Noah flicked on the porch light and took on a look of relief. Either nothing there or just a normal human being and it became quite obvious once Noah opened the door and greeted their unexpected guest. And as Joshua got a good look at the stranger, he could easily tell from the man's dripping clothes and slight muddy appearance that today had not been his best.

"Of course," he muttered in response to Noah's questions and walked in silence just ahead of the other two, up the stairs to the third floor that had once been the attic. Gandolf was quiet now; he'd probably talked himself to sleep, the cook thought to himself with a smile. Strange. That uncomfortable feeling was gone. Or maybe he just felt better with Noah nearby? Either way, he set off to do his duties and when he was sure there were no leaks and the windows were still closed, he headed back downstairs to put on some hearty chicken noodle soup and a pot of coffee, poking his head into the sitting room for just a moment to announce coffee would soon be ready for those who wanted it. Then it was back to the kitchen and while he waited for the coffee to brew and the soup to heat, he took to leaning against the window ledge, nose a hair's breadth from the cool glass, watching the forest dance in the storm. The sight was too familiar and it left him feeling anxious for some reason, though the stabbing pain in the left of his chest wasn't helping much either.

Shivers ran across his body. He could feel the goosebumps poking up. If there was a shower to be had, it would need to be hot. No amount of cold would be helpful to this wet musician.

However, something caught his ear. It took a moment or two to really sink in. Thorn. That name was so familiar that it almost made his brain take an emergency shut down. Just a step away were the Kennedys and the Thorns. They were family, and 2nd cousins. He wasn't sure if now was the time to reveal himself, or maybe wait until after the shower. Either way, he hid his face under a wet fedora.

"Thank you, so much. Sorry about your floor, water can be a floozy on hardwood. Anyways, just up here then? Mr. Thorn?"

Rich actually felt a little bad that he was now a refugee, in this wonderful home. He would certainly make it up to them. Maybe some music to go with tomorrows dinner? He didn't know much, but music was something that somehow just moves people. If not, a few chores will at least put his mind at ease.

Noah was leading the young man up to his and Joshua's private bathroom. He knew that his Cook would do as he was asked and get everything ready for their wayward guest. Two in one day, damn, he realized he hadn't talked to the other young man... Patrick? Yes. Him. He hadn't talked to him about payment. Or in some cases, not payment. Normally when he had these random people he'd take a rain check and let them pay the payment back to him. A statement in writing of course, saying they would pay him eventually.

After all, not too many wanted to come back. No matter how gorgeous his house was and how wonderful the owner was.

Noah looked back at the young man. "Don't worry about it. I get them wax sealed every few years. This is a bed and breakfast so it's used to taking a beating." He eyed Rich again. Something about the youth seemed familiar. Like he'd seen him before. Knew him. he shook his head and laughed at himself. The feeling was nagging at him. He knew him. He knew he did.

"Here we are, one bathroom. Plenty of hot water, get yourself nice and warm. Oh." Noah darted away, pulling out a pair of jeans and a tee and a pair of boxers. Everything the young man could need. After all, his bag looked soaked and certainly didn't seem the size to hold clean fresh laundry.
"Here you are. Fresh towels on the shelf next to the tub. I'm sorry, but I didn't catch your name....?"

Lotte, frowning, moved into the room. She offered a tired smile to the man before perching on the edge of a chair. "Don't you just love the rain? Though it does sort of make me think of being little and telling stories in a blanket fort in the living room when it stormed. It lends such atmosphere to ghost stories..." Despair was attempting to creep into the bride-that-wasn't's brain again, so she kept talking, trying to think of happier times.

"We had this huge storm one year. Knocked out the power for the whole neighborhood. It was so dark and so stormy that we hid in the basement. We scared each other witless. Stayed up all night telling each other about hook handed killers, headless horsemen, will-o-wisps, you name it." Suddenly feeling a little wicked, she grinned. "But my favorite was always about the stranger that arrived in the heart of the storm and murdered the whole family. Of course, there's another version, where the nice guy that comes in out of the cold winter snow is eaten alive by the psychopathic cult that inhabits the old house." There was a pause. "I guess that's why I'm so nervous. There's this huge storm, and we're the guests in an old manor. Do you think our hosts are going to-" she leapt forward a bit, "eat us up?!" This was followed with a gale of happy giggles.

His face muscles squeezes under his fedora. Noah had put him on the spot and there was no more hiding. He was suppose to be family after all. Why hide from those who are genetically close to you?

"It is me, Richard Kennedy." he said removing his wet fedora.

Rich stood there trying to gauge his cousins reactions. A smile was thrown out there to try and smooth it all over. For all he knew, Noah would throw him out. They knew each other but that didn't mean they were best friends. More water got onto the floor, with every silent second that passed.

"Good to see you cousin."

Status
Not open for further replies.