The Green Fairy Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Draeven

Original poster

Fairies... whether they are benevolent or wicked, they are universal. Often, most agree that the fae embody the beauty and grace of nature, as well as its raw power and cruelty. The Fair Folk have a dynamic, unpredictable past, and even after human civilization turned towards smoothing away the wrinkles in myth and science, faeries still managed to survive in more ways than the average human could possibly imagine. Some of them drew back into the wilderness even further, erasing themselves from perceivable reality. Some integrated themselves into human culture, and let their power fade to a dull, throbbing memory.

And some... well...

Some started making liquor.

latest

Chicago, 1923.

The glistening veneer of water over the roads made them shine oddly in the light, reflecting and refracting flickering street lamps and the bright, red-tinted bulbs above shop signs. The Lady's heels tapped sharply on the pavement, her black satin dress mirroring the night sky above, as she ducked into a side street and down a convoluted, visceral alleyway.

She paused, passing a well-dressed, imposing man with a glassy, dead gaze; he was leaning against a wall, by a dimmed doorway, staring into nothing. The sound of an enthusiastic piano and the buzzing lull of voices escaped through a crack in the peeling wall, and in the light of it the man's skin looked strangely virescent and sickly.

"Is this the Green Fairy Club?" she asked quietly, searching his listless, cadaverous eyes for any form of recognition.

He made a muffled hissing sound, but offered no other response. It was only after a small, bony pixie slipped out of his collar, scrabbling over his shoulder with sharp, dessicated claws, that she knew she had reached her destination. She pressed a gloved hand to the door, the satin matching her dress, and then slipped into the smoky, dimly lit room. A whorl of vapor curled out behind her, shaping itself momentarily into wispy faces grinning in the gloom.

She was met in the velvet-lined hallway by a satyr in a suit, and a man made out of dead leaves. In the height of Prohibition, the Green Fairy Club had a lot more than alcohol to hide.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Green Fairy Club is the center of Prohibition-era Chicago's supernatural underbelly. Founded and run exclusively by fae, it is a hub for the black market of the 'Kindly Ones' as well as the most glamorous venue for sorcerous socialites. Catering mostly but not exclusively to faeries, it is best known for being as seductive as it is dangerous; whether you're a seedy, not-so-human gangster or a stunning starlet with mysteriously pointed ears, you had best stay alert...

latest

A note on Faeries;

The Faeries who frequent this club are not inherently good, nor are they the stuff of common tales. These faeries are proud, they are guiltless, they are powerful. These are the fae who steal babies from cradles and dip their clothes in fresh blood, not those who decorate princesses in the dusty pages of bygone eras. These are Sidhe, of the Seelie and Unseelie courts, the mysterious and beguiling Fair Folk. Underestimate them only if you wish to be forced to dance until exhaustion, lured into a swamp, or be eaten by worms from the inside out.

Fairies come in thousands of varieties, but many do share common traits;
  • A physical, burning vulnerability to iron and salt, especially together.
  • An immunity to alcohol. They metabolize it as sugar almost instantly.
  • However, milk and cream will make them drunk. This is why the drinks at the Green Fairy Club are often spiked with cream.
  • A love of games, tricks, riddles, and manipulation.
  • The inability to lie. Fairies are physically unable to speak anything but the truth, but they are skilled at speak in half-truths or answering questions with questions; partly, this is why they are so good at mind games.
  • A love of hiding their true name.
  • Appartenance to one of the Faerie Courts. The Seelie are the fae of Summer and Spring. They are proud, powerful, beguiling and vindictive, ruled by Queen Titania. The Unseelie are the fae of Autumn and Winter. They are manipulative, twisted, determined, and vicious, ruled by King Oberon.

The club is owned by the mysterious Seelie noble known simply as Vivienne. An elegant Sidhe with long, silky auburn hair and deep, wine-colored irises, she can usually be found flitting from one group of patrons to the next, dressed in burgundy silk and dripping with silver and rubies. There are all sorts of rumors about her -that she's the descendant of Titania and one of her lovers, that she's the same Vivienne who trapped Merlin in an oak tree hundreds of years ago, that she bathes in human blood...

But we know about her, so now it's time you tell us more about you.

latest

Character Sheet
What do you call yourself?

How old did you say you were?

This is terribly forward of me, but what are you exactly?

Could you describe yourself for me?

What are you doing in town? How long have you known about the Club?

If you're a Faerie, what is your Court?

Wonderful. I'll give you the password, but you'll need to tell me a really juicy secret first...

(Send me some scandalous, debauched secret or piece of juicy gossip about your character! This will inform the further direction of the plot, so make it good!)

latest

Confirmed characters

-Kip, the satyr bartender, played by @Draeven
What do people call you?
"Eh, Kip, usually. I'm not particularly picky."

"Young, in Fair Folk terms. Only 27."

"I'm a changeling, a human baby stolen away by fae and raised by them."

"Couldn't you just look up from that questionnaire and tell for yoursel- Alright, alright, don't give me that look! I'm pretty short -most fae are. I have rust-colored hair and emerald green eyes. I have small, curled goat's horns growing from my forehead, and pointed ears. Below the waist, I'm a goat -well. I have the legs and tail of a goat. My fur is rust-red and I have cloven hooves, too, although I usually wear a full suit so you can't see much more than the hooves. I can make myself look human with an illusion, if I have to, Vivienne gave me an enchanted locket."

"My faerie mother is Vivienne's sister, so I'm the owner's nephew. I've known about the club since I helped her set it up -I'm one of the bartenders."

"Touchy subject, actually. I'm an Unseelie fae, unlike my adoptive parents and Vivienne. She's gotten over it, mostly, but she still calls me 'gutrot' from time to time."

Wonderful. I'll give you the password, but you'll need to tell me a really juicy secret first...
"As long as it's not about that time when I got caught in the performer's dressing room with an undressed performer, I'll tell you anything!"
-Willow, the regal Wisp, played by @Kitsunemage

"What do I call myself? Beautiful. But you can call me whatever I please. It would please me if you called me Willow."

"I didn't. And I certainly won't tell you how ancient I am."

"You're right. It is terribly forward of you. And as you can see, I am beautiful. Yes I realize that wasn't your intention. What species? Well, why don't you just take all the fun out of it. I am a will'o wisp."

"Yes, I am capable of describing myself. You think you would get better at this over time, yes? Fine. Yes- I understand. Beautiful is not the right answer.

Hmmmm where to start. I suppose my stature, you could call it... Willowy. Oh, isn't that delightful! Willowy. My hair is a shade of gold, akin to the light of a fire fly. I've been told I have rather sharp features, lending to a wild sort of disposition. Do I agree with them?

Well...

My eyes are a light amber, I've been told they glow. And of course, I never go anywhere without my lantern. You never know when someone will need... a guiding light."

"Oh, I've known about this club for a while. It was about time to settle in, get used to the finer things in life. Not as many people wandering the wilds as there used to be. So I suppose you could say I'm here for a pleasant change in scenery."

"I call the court of the Seelie my home. It's only right that I serve under the most beautiful- and who else, aside from my fine self, could lay claim to that title other than Titania?"

"Oh, the things I could tell you... what? It has to be about me?! Well. Fine.

I may have... dallied... with a member of the unseelie court, at one point in time. He may or may not have been a...Kelpie. Is that good enough?"

-Ter, the mysterious Doppleganger, played by @TheMagicalFarmWizard
What do you call yourself? The culmination of a terrible dream, a living nightmare, and a little bit of insanity. Many call me by name as a Doppleganger, however you may call me Ter.

How old did you say you were? As an immortal being I see no reason to keep my age, but around twenty.

This is terribly forward of me, but what are you exactly? A Doppleganger, a being of evil that stalks humans and drives them mad so that I may take their soul.

Could you describe yourself for me? A shadow, a bag in the wind, your cup, your pen, I could be any number of things. Mostly I appear as a tall, bulky woman with black hair and dark holes where eyes would go. With a pale complexion and decent features.

What are you doing in town? How long have you known about the Club? I was in town eating souls when I happened upon a fae I mistook as an actual meal. They directed me to a club where I could meet them later to discuss why I shouldn't be hunting here.

If you're a Faerie, what is your Court? I have none.

(Secret sent in PM)

-Nyx, the alluring Xana, played by @C r o m i c a l♥

"What an interesting question, hmph.. I'd like to know myself, as a matter of fact. Just call me Nyx for now, I guess that name could work."

"Why in the world would you ask? Sheesh, I'm not an old lady if that's what you're asking. Due to my latest moon, I'd say about twenty three at the youngest within folklore.."

"Well, that's something I'll gladly tell. I'm a Xana.. Make sure to never anger me, you won't like the ending."

"Hmph.. Fine, my dear. I have long, curly light pink hair, which is quite weird for being a Xana. Small pointy ears. Hazel eyes, followed with fair skin and very small dimples. I'm very slender, and quite the shorty. My height consists of 4'9", great thing right?. Not my choice in my appearance, it's my Race that shall take the blame, so please don't get jealous of my beauty.."

"Ah, well.. I live within the fountain close to the Club, which I visit the place quite frequently. Now that I think about it, my home has never stayed in a place quite this long before. Goody... goody."

"Unseelie, the Court I was born into. The lovely place I call my home, forever. King Oberon, the lovely.. Bastard, quite serves us swell."

"Quite the strangest question asked today, but.. I guess I shall tell you out of pure respect. I may, or may not have messed around with King Oberon a few times.. But, of course I have kept myself away from him for the past moons."

(( Sort of a small Image Reference. Nyx ))
-Locke, the irresistible Gancanagh, played by @Dipper

"Locke for you. Use it."

"Humans say... twenty something. I'll bite your hand off if you ask me this again."

"The incarnation of your worst nightmares, lurking in the shadows and waiting to devour the souls I deem unworthy of.... ah, nevermind. Gancanagh."

"You want a description of me? Righty-o. Let's see... eyes of the greenest green you've ever seen. Golden blond hair, and that's always tied back with a neat little ribbon one of my... Ahem. It makes the ears stand out-- the long and pointed variety are quite the eye catcher, aren't they? Or maybe that's the earring... We're made to be handsome, did you know? Irresistible. Just the right height and build, no more no less on the scale, yeah?"

"Who says I didn't always know, huh? You ever heard of a pretty nymph girl named Keer? She bleeds secrets if you know how to go about asking questions right."

"The Unseelie embrace the change! I do too, you know. Born to it, lived with it, and I'll be staying with it."

"Ach, we don't keep secrets. But here's a nice one I've not mentioned since it happened: Foreign lady, human "Princess" visiting my home place. Nice girl, pretty brown hair. Father thought she was kidnapped. I say she died of heartache. You know, chaos in that country for a month.

... Did you know how easy it used to be to lure noble ladies? Such dreamers."
latest

Rules
Most of the rules are the standard, run-of-the-mill ones you know about. Try to keep your posts coherent, and while excessive length is unnecessary, they should be long enough to give the others something to work with. Make your characters complex and fallible. Engage with the stories of others.

Another point is I'd like to keep the traditional, sinister feel of archaic faeries. You can have upbeat and enthusiastic characters, but try to nuance them with darker undertones if you can. You can also make non-faerie characters -werewolves and vampires included. Originality is both impressive and encouraged. Using your own take on a mythological or fantastical creature is a great way to make them interesting and engaging for you.

Other than that, just have fun! If there are any questions at all, send me a message. Seriously, I'm lonely, talk to me.

So totally interested!

"What do I call myself? Beautiful. But you can call me whatever I please. It would please me if you called me Willow."

"I didn't. And I certainly won't tell you how ancient I am."

"You're right. It is terribly forward of you. And as you can see, I am beautiful. Yes I realize that wasn't your intention. What species? Well, why don't you just take all the fun out of it. I am a will'o wisp."

"Yes, I am capable of describing myself. You think you would get better at this over time, yes? Fine. Yes- I understand. Beautiful is not the right answer.

Hmmmm where to start. I suppose my stature, you could call it... Willowy. Oh, isn't that delightful! Willowy. My hair is a shade of gold, akin to the light of a fire fly. I've been told I have rather sharp features, lending to a wild sort of disposition. Do I agree with them?

Well...

My eyes are a light amber, I've been told they glow. And of course, I never go anywhere without my lantern. You never know when someone will need... a guiding light."

"Oh, I've known about this club for a while. It was about time to settle in, get used to the finer things in life. Not as many people wandering the wilds as there used to be. So I suppose you could say I'm here for a pleasant change in scenery."

"I call the court of the Seelie my home. It's only right that I serve under the most beautiful- and who else, aside from my fine self, could lay claim to that title other than Titania?"

"Oh, the things I could tell you... what? It has to be about me?! Well. Fine.

I may have... dallied... with a member of the unseelie court, at one point in time. He may or may not have been a...Kelpie. Is that good enough?"

What do you call yourself? The culmination of a terrible dream, a living nightmare, and a little bit of insanity. Many call me by name as a Doppleganger, however you may call me Ter.

How old did you say you were? As an immortal being I see no reason to keep my age, but around twenty.

This is terribly forward of me, but what are you exactly? A Doppleganger, a being of evil that stalks humans and drives them mad so that I may take their soul.

Could you describe yourself for me? A shadow, a bag in the wind, your cup, your pen, I could be any number of things. Mostly I appear as a tall, bulky woman with black hair and dark holes where eyes would go. With a pale complexion and decent features.

What are you doing in town? How long have you known about the Club? I was in town eating souls when I happened upon a fae I mistook as an actual meal. They directed me to a club where I could meet them later to discuss why I shouldn't be hunting here.

If you're a Faerie, what is your Court? I have none.

"What an interesting question, hmph.. I'd like to know myself, as a matter of fact. Just call me Nyx for now, I guess that name could work."

"Why in the world would you ask? Sheesh, I'm not an old lady if that's what you're asking. Due to my latest moon, I'd say about twenty three at the youngest within folklore.."

"Well, that's something I'll gladly tell. I'm a Xana.. Make sure to never anger me, you won't like the ending."

"Hmph.. Fine, my dear. I have long, curly light pink hair, which is quite weird for being a Xana. Small pointy ears. Hazel eyes, followed with fair skin and very small dimples. I'm very slender, and quite the shorty. My height consists of 4'9", great thing right?. Not my choice in my appearance, it's my Race that shall take the blame, so please don't get jealous of my beauty.."

"Ah, well.. I live within the fountain close to the Club, which I visit the place quite frequently. Now that I think about it, my home has never stayed in a place quite this long before. Goody... goody."

"Unseelie, the Court I was born into. The lovely place I call my home, forever. King Oberon, the lovely.. Bastard, quite serves us swell."

"Quite the strangest question asked today, but.. I guess I shall tell you out of pure respect. I may, or may not have messed around with King Oberon a few times.. But, of course I have kept myself away from him for the past moons."

(( Sort of a small Image Reference. Nyx ))

Ought to give this a go. Sounds fun!

"Locke for you. Use it."

"Humans say... twenty something. I'll bite your hand off if you ask me this again."

"The incarnation of your worst nightmares, lurking in the shadows and waiting to devour the souls I deem unworthy of.... ah, nevermind. Gancanagh."

"You want a description of me? Righty-o. Let's see... eyes of the greenest green you've ever seen. Golden blond hair, and that's always tied back with a neat little ribbon one of my... Ahem. It makes the ears stand out-- the long and pointed variety are quite the eye catcher, aren't they? Or maybe that's the earring... We're made to be handsome, did you know? Irresistible. Just the right height and build, no more no less on the scale, yeah?"

"Who says I didn't always know, huh? You ever heard of a pretty nymph girl named Keer? She bleeds secrets if you know how to go about asking questions right."

"The Unseelie embrace the change! I do too, you know. Born to it, lived with it, and I'll be staying with it."

"Ach, we don't keep secrets. But here's a nice one I've not mentioned since it happened: Foreign lady, human "Princess" visiting my home place. Nice girl, pretty brown hair. Father thought she was kidnapped. I say she died of heartache. You know, chaos in that country for a month.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Ought to give this a go. Sounds fun!

"Locke for you. Use it."

Love your Character, quite the sarcastic person. Amazing.

• Thank You
Reactions: Dipper
Yay! They're all spectacular! And you've all kept to the slightly sinister kind of fae, which is brilliant. Adding you all to the confirmed patrons page and making an IC thread now! :D

Thanks for your enthusiasm! :D

I also learned about two new types of faerie, which is fantastic!

Sorry about messing up the colors, I'm absolutely terrible at coding and formatting and my skills extend only to copy/paste. Copy/paste apparently has a thing against colors.

Not my greatest post, but I couldn't think of anything. Sorry Dx.

"Well I've become known as the starlet of Hollywood and have come to the name Darcy Lithel"
"I didnt say how old i was. If you look at me im in my early 20s and thats all you need to know"

"I'm the woman everyone wants, but if you must know I'm a fae from the winter province."
"Well I'm quite the eye catcher long luxurious black hair with subtle silver highlights that always falls over my shoulders in bouncing curls hiding my pointed ears, my icy blue eyes can peirce through you to your very soul. I have pale almost snow like skin. My body has all the right curves."

"I have know about the club for a long time, and im here in Chicago for a film if you have to know nosey people "
"Unseelie and proud of it. I'm a court official. Not many woman can hold that title"

"Dear you know we fae are not much for secrets. But if you want to know anything im not a full blood Unseelie. Im a halfling, my mother is a Seelie and my father an unseelie and an advisor to the king "

• Love
Reactions: Quiet Souris

What you call me is entirely up to you, sugar. I am known as the forest, as the leaves that float upon the air. I've been all around you, but never did you know I was there. To you, I can be whatever name you wanna call out tonight.

Fine, don't fall for it. I am Giselle to you.

Did your mother never tell you how incredibly rude it is, to ask a woman her age? Does my youthful appearance deceive your eyes?
Tsk, tsk. We cannot be having that. I am... twenty something, in your years.
Now, how about we never mention this again? I'd hate for something terrible to befall you, yes?

Why yes, that is terribly rude of you. Cannot you not see past my youthful, smooth face to the true intelligence that lies within, the natural beauty?
No, of course not. Sarcasm seems of no use here. If you must know, I am a woman of the moss people, a Leute.

Sigh... Such a pretty boy... but no brains.

I am petite in stature, as most of us are but my form is never chosen. Who knows who I shall become in these days?

Let's see..

I am mysterious, as others have often remarked. My skin is pale, moonlight white but along my brow, high and noble, twists and turns the gentle vines of my people. In dark cherry red, against pale skin, my tribal markings stand out like a shadow in the day. My face is narrow but faintly heart shaped, beautiful in appearance as you already know. My eyes are large and a luminous turquoise in the night, delicately framed by long lashes. High cheekbones, aquiline nose. I am slender, willowy as it may be. Huh, such an apt description for a forest dweller. My face is framed by long, dark red hair.

But curves, sugar? Yeah, I got them.

I got the body every man wants... And trust in that.

Considering how long I've been in town, baby...
I wanna find me some sugar~
Are you volunteering, cause you sure look...tasty~

Oh, what a bold question...

Oh, for the clarity of the autumn and the cool jaded vision of the winter, from King Oberon I come hither. Unseelie i am and Unseelie I shall be.

Wonderful. I'll give you the password, but you'll need to tell me a really juicy secret first..

Must I tell it here, or is there privacy for such secrets? (Should I PM such things to you, @Draeven )

A visual, if you require it.
Professor-Nolan-house-of-night-series-25266840-1428-1728.jpg

Brilliant! Yes, Souris, @Quiet Souris, you can PM them to me!

I'll add you both (@Poisoned Rose too) to the confirmed patrons as soon as I have a moment. Exam week coming up, so I'm spread a bit thin. Please on't hesitate to continue/go on in the IC post in the meantime!

• Love
Reactions: Quiet Souris

I've never had a reason to call myself anything,
Well my father called me worthless bitch ,my step-mother a slut and my brother- well you get the idea
But if you could be bothered you could call me Hope
Yeah I like that

Um well a jester called me a teen on my birthday a few moons ago so i'm guessing around 16
I'm a fae I think... No one has really told me I personally think my producers are demons but in reality they are fairies so I guess that's what I am
Well I'm ugly for sure but I guess unique is a nicer way to put it

My figure is petite even for a fae, Anorexic has been thrown my way but I only just found out what it meant. My bones protrude from my Ivory flesh causing my figure to look even thinner than it would already seem. Scars cover my back and legs cuts appear on my arms. My pure white
hair drifts around me I've never been allowed to cut it so it rests on my thighs its ends tangLed and ugly. My fingers are covered with rings and all the clothing I wear is my long silk dress and velvet cloak all my other clothes are for clubbing and other mischief a prefer not to make.
Well I'm on the run and I heard about this place I'm hoping I can stay for a while without getting court
the Unseelie court, um yep the Unseelie court

Well I may be the forbidden daughter of king Oberon but I may also not

What do you call yourself? Name's Leon "Wolf" Corvinus a.k.a. Leo the lion. Don't ask why I'm called that or I'll rip your throat out. capiche?

How old did you say you were? I didn't. I'm immortal. I look about twenty-five alright? Not bad on the eyes for an old timer am i? Say one word to the contrary and you're dog food.

This is terribly forward of me, but what are you exactly? Damn straight it is. I'm dangerous. Ever hear of the big bad wolf? He's my cousin. I'm a werewolf, but i prefer lycan. Can you get that silver away from me already?

Could you describe yourself for me? You want my human form, my true form or both? Alright already. Shudup I'll tell you. I stand in at five nine in my human form. I have pitch black hair and piercing blue eyes. Muscular build, often seen wearing a nice suit, not my style but the Don asked me to dress nice, my opinion is the suit is too restricting. Now for my true form, when i transform i stand in at eight eleven rippling with raw muscle. My fur, yes i said fur, is as black as a patch of midnight on a stormy night. I have razor sharp claws that can cut through metal and fangs that can cut through bone quicker than a shark's can. My eyes are a striking yellowish green and the way i transform is frightening to behold. You don't want to hear what happens. It'll make you loose your last meal. Seeing it will make you wet and crap yourself.

What are you doing in town? How long have you known about the Club? I'm a bit of hired muscle and the guy you call when you want someone to play Houdini and disappear. Permanently. I found it the moment i got into town, tracked a vampire here and ripped out his heart just because i hate the parasites.

If you're a Faerie, what is your Court? I'm not a fairy. I'm a werewolf And my allegiance goes to whoever pays the most.

Wonderful. I'll give you the password, but you'll need to tell me a really juicy secret first... You want a secret? go talk to Al Capone. There's your secret.

Last edited:
I call myself... really fascinating. You can just call me Sig. That is what my herd called me when I was a hatchling.

I didn't.

How do I put this? Some say that my kind is a dragon in the shape of a faerie, or a faerie in the shape of a dragon. Maybe both. Our kind is often called the Fae Dragon. I can do a lot of things with my fairy dust, but I don't think you'd want to know it all~

You're really good at picking up chicks, huh? Alright, alright. I look like one of those dragons you see in the sky, the caves, your research documents. Not the Oriental ones, not those guys. Am I a dragon or am I not? Well, it doesn't matter as long as I look like one, am I correct? I'm not as big as you imagine me to be now. I'm just about the size of one of those house cats those humans love to play with. So yeah, I fit through the door. Don't compare me to those big, rough guys that look like me. My scales are prettier and shinier, and a beautiful shimmer of sky blue too! My wings are elegant, and resemble those of butterflies.

It's the way of my kind. After reaching a certain age, we breed, lay eggs, then leave the herd. Wonder how my kids and wife are doing now. Anyways, I fly a lot, making temporary nests wherever I go and collect shiny things and round things that won't kill me. After a little migrating, I found this place. It's pretty glorious compared to old treetops that humans inevitably cut down. I just came here, and only recently found out about this place through gossip.

I- I'm sorry, a what now? Oh, those. My kind isn't into affiliation or monarchy and all that stuff. We're no servants, and we're not part of any hierarchy whatsoever. We're free, like sheep. Wild sheep that go 'baa baa' in the meadows, not the domesticated kind. Wait, do you seriously live your life like that? I'm sickened, but really, really curious.

Not much of a secret. I used to work for a human magician as his familiar. It was an experience. Don't get me wrong - I was the master in this, the master of his life force. He called me 'Fafnir'. He had another, more impressive familiar with him later in his career, and we hit it off pretty well. But whatever I could do, she could do better... except my wits, of course. The contract is long expired, and he was the only human I remotely got along with.

So, is the RP still running?

Yes, in theory. I'm sort of busy at the moment, final exams coming up, but I can still keep an eye on it all. However, there doesn't seem to have been much activity on the IC thread for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.