2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Fantasy Epic, Cyberpunk, (Para)Military, Zombie Survival, Dystopic
Past-Imperfect-Ferdinand-631.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg
"As the car quickly reversed, a thin stream of blood spurted from His Highness’s mouth onto my right check. As I was pulling out my handkerchief to wipe the blood away from his mouth, the Duchess cried out to him, “For God’s sake! What has happened to you?” At that she slid off the seat and lay on the floor of the car, with her face between his knees.
I had no idea that she too was hit and thought she had simply fainted with fright. Then I heard His Imperial Highness say, “Sophie, Sophie, don’t die. Stay alive for the children!” At that, I seized the Archduke by the collar of his uniform, to stop his head dropping forward and asked him if he was in great pain. He answered me quite distinctly, “It is nothing!” His face began to twist somewhat but he went on repeating, six or seven times, ever more faintly as he gradually lost consciousness, “It’s nothing!”
Then came a brief pause followed by a convulsive rattle in his throat, caused by a loss of blood. This ceased on arrival at the governor’s residence. The two unconscious bodies were carried into the building where their death was soon established."
-Count Franz von Harrick describing the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand
None can say why the war progressed as it had, but modern historians believe that the tension all started with the assassination of the Austro-Hungarian Archduke and Heir to the Throne, Franz Ferdinand. The first hostilities were between Austria-Hungary and Serbia on the twelfth day of August, 1914, and it quickly spread to the multi-national conflict we know of today. ANZAC sprung an offensive on German Oceanic and Pacific Islands eighteen days later. Even before the war officially started, French and British African holdings waged open conflict with Germany's holdings. In the fall, the trenches were extended all the way to the sea between France and Germany.

And this is where we start. The Fall of 1914 when the standing armies of the monarchs entered into battle. Soldiers entering into this era will either be high ranked career commanders or fresh out of boot camp and unproven, yet talented soldiers who are destined for history. At a time when the trenches were defended with nothing but bolt-action rifles and Entente Lewis Guns, and stalemates were frequent. In this harsh and unforgiving climate, resolve is survival.​

Stay tuned for updates!

Tech Tree

We will try to cling to historical accuracy with technological advancement and tracking victories. As such, units will be quite restricted at the lower ranks of what they can carry, and the commanders still won't have the absolute best available to them until later. Here, we will list the timeline of IC only mechanics such as classes, walkers, progression, and deployment.

RP starts on the 23rd of August, 1914, as the British Expeditionary Force reinforces the French in the Battle of Mons, just before Autumn.
Active Factions: British Empire, France and Her Territories, German Empire, Austro-Hungarian Empire, Italy and Her Territories, Balkan States, Japan
British Empire Infantry Classes Available: RifleMan, Support Gunner, Combat Medic, Veteran Sniper, Commanding Officer.
France and Her Territories Infantry Classes Available: RifleMan, Support Gunner, Combat Medic, Veteran Sniper, Commanding Officer
German Empire Infantry Classes Available: RifleMan, Combat Medic, Veteran Sniper, Commanding Officer
Conflicts: Battle of the Frontiers (British, French against German), Battle of Tanenberg (German, Austro-Hungarian against Russian, Balkan), ANZAC Offensive (British at German), African Conflict (British, French against German, Austro-Hungarian)

Ottoman Empire joins the war on the side of the Central Powers by surprise attacking Russia on the 29th of October, 1914
Ottoman Empire Infantry Classes Available: N/A
New Conflicts: Russo-Turkish Naval Conflict (Ottoman against Russian, Balkan)

Unofficial Christmas Truce held from Christmas Eve thru Christmas Day
Conflicts Affected: Western Front (British, French against German)

(Will be completed over time)​

Last edited:
In this game, players will play as heroic individuals who are extraordinary in one manner or another. From hardy commanders to clever marksmen and thick-skinned shock troopers, and even ace pilots and dreadnought captains. You'll even have the option of playing an entire unit on your own - you can't have a tank crew of one man, after all.

Individual Character CS
Here is the template for individual characters. Ideally, you'll have one of these for each member of the squad or crew if you've got one.

[Insert a Picture of your Character]
Name:
(Include title and/or rank)
(As of the year of deployment. Note the year of deployment.)
(Not organizationally important, as it will not restrict your character.)
Class:
(Elaborated in Tech Tree)
Nationality:
(Your country of origin, and it's allegiance. An Australian would be in ANZAC with the British Empire.)
Unit:
(The exact squad the character is from - the smallest organizational echelon)
Weaponry:
(Must correspond with class and era - include service rifle, sidearm, and tactical equipment like explosives, armor, and supplies. Does not include vehicle.)
Vehicle:
(Infantry has access to recon vehicles like the motorcycles and GPs; Tank Crews often get quite attached to their armor and customize or name the machine itself; Ship Crews are dependent upon the ship to survive the waters, and they revere their vessels; Air Crews were often identified by their ships - the Red Baron's Triplane is a prime example.)
Personality:
(Your character is a heroic entity, and they have to have a heroic personality)
History and Service:
(Separate by eras of your character's life, note significant changes, including joining the military, even if by draft or levy)​
Infantry Squad CS
Your squad will be a significant part of the war - your prowess will bring your battalion to success, but it'll be you actually winning the war.

Squad Callsign:
(Your squad's colloquial title, their nom de guerre)
Battalion:
(The Battalion your squad is attached to)
Date of Deployment:
(Date and Battle of Squad's first deployment of the Great War, can be before the start of the game)
Squad Members:
(The makeup of your squad. All soldiers must be named, ranked, and classed. Classes are limited to what is available on the timeline. Not all characters must be detailed, but detail is appreciated)
Vehicles:
(Your squad may have signature vehicles, so long as they're based off the standard issue Motorcycle or GP)​
Tank Crew CS
The ever-attached mechanics and engineers, who rely on their machine for survival. Tank Crews can name and customize their landships and moving fortresses within reason. Tank Crews will be deployed after their tank enters production, and will be in training camp or reserves until then. There are two types of tank: Tractopods and Anthropods. Tractopods are your typical track-turning assault armor, while Anthropods are less armed but generally heavier and/or faster. They typically transport units to the enemy trenches safely.

Tank Name:
(Use trench humor, names like "Fighting Girlfriend" and "Her Majesty's LandShip" (or "HMLS" for short) are a hit with the war correspondents.)
Tank Model:
(Keep in mind, your unit will not be deployed until your tank is invented.)
Battalion:
(The Armor Battalion your tank belongs to)
Tank Armaments:
(Include all mounted guns and powerplants on the tank)
Date of Deployment:
(The date and battle your Tank will be deployed)
Tank Crew:
(The crew on the tank. Player crews will be reduced in number but will maintain effectiveness. All crew must be named, ranked, and roled. On person weaponry may be limited.)​
Ship Crew CS
The navy has been the scourge of war since antiquity, as the ability to defer reinforcements by threatening to wipe them out entirely has won wars countless times. Available in some form at every era of the war, it featured several improvements of its own along the course of the Great War.

Ship Name:
(Use proper protocol on naming the ship - British ships will always start with HMS, for example. Beyond that, go crazy.)
Ship Type:
(Dreadnought, Destroyer, Artillery, and even Aircraft Carriers when appropriate)
Fleet:
(the Fleet your Ship is tied to)
Ship Armaments:
(Include all Cannons, AA Guns, and Aircraft Runways on the ship, as well as the method of propulsion and its powerplant)
Date of Deployment:
(The date and battle of your ship's deployment, can be before the start of the game.)
Important Crew:
(List all major crew such as the captain, first mate, navigator, mess sergeant, naval aircaptain, gunnery sergeant, etc. All major crew must be named, ranked, and roled. On person weaponry is limited to more reliable guns like the Mondragon - sea air is corrosive)​
Air Crew CS
Zeppelins, day fighters, night bombers, close air support. The air was just as dangerous as the trenches, but it wasn't always like that. Zeppelins will be available from the start, including the heavy artillery airships that the Great War and Steampunk are both well known for.

Craft Name:
(The nickname you call your craft, or what you as a pilot are known as)
Craft Type:
(Artillery Zeppelin, Superiority Fighters, Bombers, etc.)
Squadron:
(The Squadron your Craft is tied to)
Craft Armaments:
(Include all guns and their positions, as well as their powerplants)
Crew Members:
(All crew members must be named, ranked, and roled, although heavy air superiority zeppelins can organize their crew like a navy.)​
Approved Cast

ACTIVE (1914)
Private Sheila McGregor
Private Connor McKinley
Private Oliver Brown
Second Lieutenant Charles Davidson
Lieutenant Adalard Weber

ACTIVE SQUADS (1914)

INACTIVE
Second Lieutenant Britannia O'Shea (1915)

INACTIVE SQUADS

INACTIVE TANKS

INACTIVE SHIPS

INACTIVE AIRCRAFT
Jammy Jacko (1916-1917)
Jammy Dodger (1917)

Last edited:
Checking in as well.

175467846f8899276f2fbc6e6073ca20.jpg
Name:
Private Sheila McGregor
Class:
Support Gunner
Nationality:
New Zealand||British Empire
Unit:
Auckland Battalion
Weaponry:
Hotchkiss et Cie M1909 Benet-Mercie (Primary Weapon)
Webley Mk V (Sidearm)
Ammunition Storage Vest
Personality:
Sheila can be best described as "One of the Boys" - she enjoys boasting and cursing, and isn't afraid of getting her hands dirty. She is a reliable Support Gunner and will point her gun any direction that lets her keep her allies safe.
History and Service:
Born in March of 1896, Sheila's father was a veteran member of Auckland, New Zealand's own standing army, Auckland Battalion, and it seemed only fitting she'd come to join it herself. Her father being her CO didn't mean she had an easy time. Her father was as hard on her as any other soldier in the unit, and she gave him the respect he earned. Her resilience and lineage in the Battalion commanded respect herself, however, and despite having just got out of boot camp, her men trust her to keep them alive.​

I'll hopefully be making a character sometime today. So look forward to that.

1c5a599e2e1799dbe1d0fd1628e074f7.jpg

Name:
Private Connor McKinley
Class:
Rifleman
Nationality:
Irish
Unit:
The Royal Irish Rifles, more commonly called the Irish Giants.

Weaponry and Equipment:
Lee-Einfield rifle.
Webley model 1887 revolver.
A metal chest piece that's been in the family for the last generation. How the McKinleys got their hands on it is a mystery.
Vehicle:
N/A
Personality:
Connor is that stereotypical Irishman. Loud, sometimes drunk, proud of where he's from. He's a little put out that he wasn't able to tote around one of those big guns that fire faster then any bolt action rifle he's ever had, but he makes up for it by running, yelling and screaming, with bayonet fixed, at the enemy trenches.
History and Service:
When Connor was born, he was a happy child. And even once he grew up he was happy. His life had practically been planned out for him, and that was to get married and run the family shop once he got old enough. He even had plans to change it into a pub so him and his mates can drink and call it working. But he had only been running the shop for three years when he was drafted into the military. He didn't whine or mope about it, there was nothing he could've done so he decided to instead get it done and over with. And so here he is, a member of the Irish Giants, sitting in the trenches, doing as his officer says.​

Last edited:
Come on in!

There's always more room in the trenches

Reactions: InfiniteBellum
Same as above post ^ mostly just thinking what job my charachter is gonna have.

IMG_1193.JPG
Name:
Private Oliver Brown
Class: Veteran Sniper. (Carries small first aid pack in case of no medics being around due to them being targeted so they cannot aid other soldiers)
Nationality: British, British Empire
Unit: British Cavalry Regiment
Weaponry: Pattern 1914 Einfield (With Bayonet), Webly Bull Dog (Small British revolver), No. 1 Grenade
Vehicle: Cavalry. (Horse name: Tips) Keeps a small, low range, but powerful double barrel shotgun in a pouch stitched into the saddle on the horse along with a cavalry sword. (Only used for while riding, or for emergencies.)
Personality: Oliver knew that no matter what, at all costs, he must win. Everything he fights for, he is willing to take a bullet for another soldier and if needed fight as long as he can against an entire army...even if it means fighting alone.
History and Service:
Born: 1892.
1900-1907: His father would let him practice with small firearms
1914: Father was part of the military (in the past) and gave a few tips before Oliver joined later in 1914.
1914: Joined the war (Voluntarily) as cavalry/infantry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm... I am not sure I understand the system very well. Are we supposed to make a new character each technological "iteration", if we want a different role (and they do not get killed, which makes need for a new character eminent)? You can't really retrain an infantryman into an airship crewman.

Also, how is the RP supposed to work, actually? So far, there are three British characters, but all are from different units. It is unlikely they will meet each other. If we add in Central Powers characters, it is even less probable. How does an RP work without character interaction? I was never part of an RP with such premise, so bear with me a bit, please.

1914: Joined the war (Voluntarily) as a night and day bomber pilot.
If he joins the war as a bomber pilot, his unit and vehicle, at least for now, should reflect that. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the Brits didn't have access to a supply of G 98's, although it'd be acceptable for him to pick one up from battle. Lastly, the British didn't use chemical weapons until the Battle of Loos in late September of '15 (although the Allies did use Tear Gas from day one).
Are we supposed to make a new character each technological "iteration", if we want a different role
Nah, I'm hoping you guys will keep your CSs updated to keep with the times - a RifleMan can be retrained to just about any other infantry class - classes work like Fire Emblem, kind of. That's just an RP mechanic more than anything.

Classes and Jobs are independent of each other, of course, but can sometimes influence each other. For example, since early fighter pilots used their own self-loading rifles to fire at enemy planes from their cockpits, Pilots will be restricted to RifleMan, Combat Medic, Veteran Sniper, and Commanding Officer.
Also, how is the RP supposed to work, actually? So far, there are three British characters, but all are from different units. It is unlikely they will meet each other. If we add in Central Powers characters, it is even less probable.
Undoubtedly, units will cross in like conflicts, and may even be grouped together as part of a standing army - in example, the British Expeditionary Force was made of numerous different units sent to the European Mainland to assist the French. These different units would have to cohere regardless of whether they were British, Irish, or otherwise a member of the British Empire - as well, they'd have to work with the French - who, being on the defensive, were forced to commit nearly all of their European forces to the Western Front - meaning they would be put quite close to each other. To top it off, opposing characters will be able to form rivalries should they survive meeting each other for the first time. Considering that there technically were no good guys in the war, these rivalries may be friendly or openly hostile, depending on the context (I mentioned the Red Baron waving at a pilot he shot down).

The only issue with units actually meeting each other will be between fronts. For example, a pilot flying in Gallipoli will not likely meet a pilot flying over the Somme. Even in this case, a transfer could be arranged, and stories and jokes could pass between fronts that way. Of course, that part's up to you.

By the by, I've got two pilots in coming, one will be based off an actual historical figure. The other will be a female fighter pilot (from my Freaks and Geeks album) and star pupil of the first, and I plan on having them work on the same plane in Gallipoli.

Coming soon!

Reactions: InfiniteBellum
Ah, well, I suppose that explains it sufficiently enough. I intend to make Austro-Hungarian characters, but that basically excludes meeting any French or British characters. I guess this would be the point where some historical bending and poetic license would have to come into play.

As for the tech level, does it mean all characters have to start as infantry? That one still confuses me a bit, since you have pilots coming in, but the tech tree has no pilots in there.

Sorry, I forgot the G98 was used originally by Germans. As for vehicle and vehicle history I'll change it as no piloting and purely cavalry. I'll change these along with grenades right away. Please tell me if I make any mistakes or if there are any other problem with my character. @VerbalAbuse

Edit: Ok I fixed things. I think the Mills grenade wasn't made until 1915 and may make things a tad historically incorrect. If this is a problem please tell me. As you can see playing battlefield 1 has messed up my accuracy on WW1 being able to do things that were not historically correct and possible (Such as British having G98) and also being set in 1918 (Near the end of the war) and me having that in my head is making me believe that this RP is also set in that time, even though it's set in 1914.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thank You
Reactions: VerbalAbuse
Status
Not open for further replies.