The Great Games

"We should... I don't fancy staying here much longer."
David stood abruptly up, his mind not moving at that point in time, his state being that he was still a little groggy. Nevertheless, he extended his arm towards Kieara, a vaguely friendly gesture, one that was him offering help to her to get her off of the mattress. Eyes cold and lacking anything but a glassy, expressionless look, he stood there, awaiting her decision as to what she would do, with him not particularly thinking of what the outcome could be. It didn't seem to matter to him. Unbeknownst to him, a black Ford with tinted windows had rolled up outside the entrance. The driver nor the passengers, however, made no effort to leave the vehicle.

Kieara gently took his hand. Hers were soft. She let him help her up and spoke. "Thank you." She said to him. why were his eyes always so...so...empty.... It kinda frightened her a bit though she wouldn't admitt it. She had the feeling the moment he could he'd drop her like a hot potato. The icyness in his eyes seemed to confirm that fact even more so.

Pulling her up with appropriate gentleness, David still stood, stoic and expressionless. His natural neutrality was one born off years of hatred being left to fester, with him tossing aside emotion, as he deemed it largely useless. He was human, so he retained some vestiges of feeling in the depths of his icy soul, but he was human in only the vaguest sense of the word. Even the soft, warm touch of Kieara's hand shifted him not n inch, his glassy eyes the ones of a robot, built solely to calculate and plan
Yet, somewhere in the depths of the cobalt eyes, lay something - a boy, clawing his way out against the odds. He did not say it, but in the inside, he was just a lonely, estranged child, who just wanted somebody to stick by him, for better or worse.

If he needed a friend, he had one in Kieara. Her bonds were hard to break, and she had a natural ability to bring out the best in people. Even though in herself she seemed to be nothing more then a goofy klutz. She offered a reassuring smile to him then let him lead her towards the exit. She was far more alert now, but she stopped him just before they exited and spoke. "Do you hear an engine running?" she whispered.

"Mister Peterson, please look to your left."
As soon as he had stepped outside, voice from the car had issued an order to him. Condescending and yet tinged with intimidation, it compelled him to do as told. Grudgingly, David's head turned, his eyes falling to the left. A sudden glint caught his eye - the unmistakable shine that only comes from a clear, polished material. And that wasn't a cup. More likely, a sniper scope. "Now, turn to the other side."
More of the same.
"Who are you?"
"Please, get in the car. I'd make some sort of threat, my dear fellow, but you're smart enough to realise your current situation."
As if on cue, the Ford pulled forwards, dirt crunching beneath its wheels, the door opening upon the vehicle ceasing to move. The body the voice belonged to was not visible - nor was anyone else. The door had seemed to swing open of its own accord, beckoning the two to sit in it, upon the leather upholstery. It wasn't as if David had much of a choice when he got in, pulling lightly on Kieara, hoping she would follow without hesitation. He didn't know if he was scared or not - s had been said, his emotions had been tossed aside. Now, they were but vague blurs, nothing to be heeded.

Kieara was shaking as she heard the voice and caught the glint. She was smart enough to put that much together. She followed him closely and got into the back of the car with him still shaking. When would this end? She thought that when the poison incident was over that it wouldn't continue to ensue so soon afterwards, but apparently she was wrong.

Noticing her trembling, and associating the touch of someone familiar as a comfort to this sort of situation, David clutched on of Kieara's hands in both of his, looking her straight in the eyes as he did so. While under most circumstances, his emotionless gaze was generally not well-received, he hoped that a look that held firm and stoic in a situation like this would at least give her some form of confidence.
"Kieara," he spoke, his voice steady and unwavering, "We're getting through this. We are. Not just you, not just me. Us. But we can't just cower in fear all the time. I need you to be strong, Kieara - if you are, I promise you, we'll live."
There was no feeling to the words, but he felt that there was some sort of motivation in them - he hoped this would at least partially calm her down

Kieara looked to him as he took her hands. She blushed unable to help it and started to calm. She nodded to David. "O-ok...." She said to him in return. She didn't know where they were going, who was taking them, or why. She did know though she wanted loose.

Suspecting she retained a larger portion of her nervousness that he expected would remain, he intensified his gaze minutely, focussing solely on her.
"You're a strong person, Kieara. Unlike me, you can feel emotion. You can feel conviction, belief in someone or something. Me? I see the facts, and the facts only. Few of my emotions are genuine. But you... I need someone who can help me get through this. I need you to keep strong, and give me the push I may need. Will you do this?"
His gaze was focussed solely on her, his attention seemingly unshakable. However, if he hadn't implied it enough, he had only performed the speeches in order to have Kieara be stronger, at least for a time. He didn't need a weak partner, nor someone to help push him - but he thought he may find a use for her eventually.

((I have an idea))

Kieara listened to his words feeling as if he stared into her lvery soul. She nodded to him and looked towards the front of the vehicle trying to make out any figures. She couldn't though. She nodded to David. "Ok...."

"Good. I'm glad you can see things this way."
After finally retracting his grip on Kieara's hand, he faced the back of the driver's seat, the feel of her soft digits lingering on him still. However, he quickly erased this from his memory, deeming it something he did not need to know in the long run. He did not even deem it important for building Kieara's confidence in him, such was how dismissive he was of things he thought of as trivial and unnecessary. Coming to a slow, deliberate halt, the door opened, and revealed a group of police officers, MP5s pointed directly at the pair. David was limited in what he could do, more so when he was dragged forcefully onto the ground, and handcuffed. Apparently, for the murder of the two people in the charity shop, and for taking the money.
"All it takes is a few willing participants..." muttered the driver, in his seat, as the door nearest Kieara opened to a similar situation.

This time, Kieara wasn't numbed. She didn't spring to life either though, more so tried to look and see and make sure that David was ok. She was terrified of this situation though. What did he do? She knew why she was getting arrested, but why was he? She glanced to the figures int he truck. So they were just sent there to turn them in?

His head being forced down while he was dragged mercilessly into the station's interrogation room, little could be seen by him, much as he wanted to observe the place that would probably hide him from the outside world, his innocence ignored. The grey, flat, unforgiving walls of the interrogation room gave off a foreboding air, the lack of furniture - bar the two chairs, the desk light and the table - not helping this in any sense. David was pushed roughly into his chair, Kieara into one placed next to his. Across the table sat a man suited in grey, his face obscured by shadows, though his condescending smirk was still in plain sight - the rest of his face faded as the light abruptly dimmed.
"You're probably wondering why you're here. It's simple - you're both being charged. We are not obliged to say what, because it hardly matters at this point."
This was the puppet master - and this ws his test, hist test to determine whether they would break - or whether they were fit for his challenge.

Kieara was roughly hauled down the hall right behind him and into the office. She didn't try to struggle much, but when she was placed in the chair she glared at the men who took her in there. She then set her gaze on the suited man in front of her. Who was this? Another officer? He didn't look like one. She sensed something wrong about him. Very very wrong. She glanced out the corner of her eye at David then back to this man. Something wasn't right. This man couldn't be an officer. Of course she was going on her gut feeling for that assumption.

"I'm not going to beat about the bush here. You have shown remarkable... Traits. Your cold, calculating demeanour. Your disregard for common humanity in the interest of the greater good. I'm willing to guess that what you did in the car was simply to get her to stop being scared?"
David simply remained stony-faced, refusing to answer. With no emotion on his face, or in his eyes at all, he seemed like a wooden statue - simply staring, expression rigid.
"Answer him, scum!" shouted one of the bribed police officers, or what could have been a minion still donning their disguise. Irrespective of who it was, they still stood up, and stared down upon David. The boy remained still. "Answer him!"
What followed was a vicious right hook, after his chair was turned appropriately, leaving the boy reeling. Blood seeped from his mouth, as his head lolled to the side, but he seemed not to care. Another punch was thrown, though only a pained grunt escaped his lips. Along with the blood from his wound.

Kieara looked to the man. How would he know what they said in the car? This was getting freakier and freakier. She swallowed nervously and jumped as the men next to them both got loud. She gasped as David was knocked from his chair. "D-David!" She squeaked worriedly. She then looked from him to the man. "L...Leave him alone!" She forced herself to say.

"He needs to be taught a lesson, you stupid whore! Do I have to teach you one as well? I don't go easy one young people or girls. Especially not young girls."
"Gregory... Not here."
In a rather dismissive tone, as if he was merely chiding an irritating child, the individual dressed more smartly of the group had effectively commanded his subordinate to cease the attacks. Spitting one last, spiteful time in David's general direction, he stood back. Seemingly unaffected, and not hit by Gregory's projectile, the boy looked to the person clearly in charge, not saying a word. He had no need. "Now then, to business. You, my boy, are going to play a little game with me. Win, and you will be rewarded; I'll let you live, and we'll even give you a meaningful sum of money for it. And her, of course. And do you know what happens if you don't?"
"Oh, let me guess, I get killed..."
The man's mouth was pulled into an expression that relayed how he thought he had received such a tiresome response, his one proving such a point.
"Kill you? Uh... No, don't be obvious, I'm going to kill you someday anyway, I don't want to rush it. No, I'm saving it up for something special, no no no no no... If you don't play, I'll burn you. I will burn, the HEART out of you."
"I have been reliably informed that I don't have one."
"But we both know that's not quite true."
As if to prove his point, he held a gun out, pointing it to David - he remained unfazed. However, when the gun was moved to Kieara, he flinched - minutely, but his face had contorted nonetheless. "See what I mean? You've grown attached to her."
"I value my allies, there's a difference."
"Above your own life?"
"My own life is dull, it doesn't particularly matter to me what's done with it."

Kieara watched as the man turned on her but was stopped by the man seemingly in charge. she glared up at the one who was beating David trying not to let the crippling fear within her show. She didn't know how successful she was though. She then looked to the suited man whom pulled a gun out. She'd been listening to them, but why would David not care about his life? claim to have no heart? She couldn't figure it out. She then swallowed as it was turned to her her hands beginning to shake so she clenched them to stop it.

David had grown attached to Kieara, though only in the loosest sense of the word. He would protect her if convenient, but he still felt largely indifferent towards her. Nevertheless, he still meant what he had said about his life though it was not as banal as it was before, he did not care in the slightest about his own life, knowing only to preserve it if something vaguely interesting reared its head. And though he was beaten, he knew that as the man in the suit rose, no words would have to be exchanged. He needed to cure his boredom - and now that such an opportunity had arisen, he would refuse to pass it up, even if it did endanger innocent - and not very innocent - people. He had been framed, he had been beaten, and Kieara had been threatened. All he could focus on, however, was what to do next. Even if he was punched in the gut out of pure spite, and dragged from the room.
"You'll have to figure out what to do next, boy." grumbled the uniformed male pulling him along, not even bothering to glance at his quarry, even as he was dumped unto an empty pavement.

Kieara was dragged along with David. She was tossed to the ground alongside David. she looked over at him then to the doors of the building they'd been tossed from. 'I.....how do we handle this?" She asked.