The Good Times [ Alt Dragues story ] Dao x 7.39

G

GuanYue

Original poster
"I heard she's coming back real soon. Is that true?" Remi watched as one of the waitresses walked by their table at the inn. He returned his attention to Vincent, drink in hand. "What kind of stories you think she's collected since she's been gone this time?" He took a quick drink and then put down his glass. More importantly, what was making her come back? Despite them all being friends, he felt that there was a chance that she would never come back. Maybe seeing the world would be a lot more interesting than coming back to the small isolated town. There was a slight jealousy that settled deep within the young dragon rider, but he always pushed it back. He was, after all, living his dream and destiny.

Nevertheless, he was excited that Juno was coming back, even if it was a short while. "By the way, how have things with you and Lillian been? It's a little hectic at camp with Veithe going through moods lately, so I haven't gotten to talk much." He knew the two had started a relationship not horribly long ago. Word was that it was already a little bit rough. But there were always rumors around about that kind of stuff. Hell, there was a rumor that Gilroy Rhys was dating the little old Market owner. Now that was a bold faced lie.

Again Remi's attention rose to a passerby. This time, it was a stranger that was heading to another table. They had been getting a lot of those lately. People making their way into town, sticking around for a week or so, and then giving up on whatever they were doing and crawling back to wherever they came from. He wondered if Rhys had found something and word got out about it because those strangers started to investigate the mines as well. It was a shame that Remi was that much out of the loop. But he did know that it created that much more attraction for the next dragon riding event.

• Love
Reactions: 7.39
Vincent's hand supported his head, his eyes wandering as every new face walked by. He hated the strangers who came and went more than anything he could put into words. Something about it smelled like trouble, that or it was just the stench of alcohol burnt into his nostrils, he really couldn't tell at this point. The man took a long drink of his beer nearly slamming the poor glass on the table's surface, startling a waitress who was going around taking orders. "Yeah, though who knows why she's coming back. Sure as hell know it's not because she misses us or her dear ol' parents. Otherwise she would've come back a lot sooner. Granted she makes some kind of effort to write, even if it mostly is just to her mom n' dad." The words came out bitter, his face twisted in disdain to the idea of Juno coming in and out of their lives as if it was nothing. Though his constant feuding with Lillian was what probably made him a little more sensitive to the topic, he wouldn't swallow an ounce of pride even to admit he was a little giddy to see their favorite researcher back in town, regardless of what her reasons may have been.

Remi's casual shift in conversation made Vincent groan, the hand that supported his head moved so its fingers could pinch the bridge of his nose. The mention of her name encouraged him to take another long drink until his glass was empty. "At least Veithe pulls through in the end," he muttered leaning back in his chair, arms folded and legs crossed. "It has its rough patches, but I guess every relationship has that, the whole honeymoon phase is long gone at least." Though even that phase was eating a fist full of sand with the occasional rock. The rumors that floated around so proudly among townspeople only added more strain on a relationship built on sticks, but he wasn't one to try and complain too much, Vincent was grateful Remi was fact checking.

Juno took a deep breath as she watched over the cozy town from a cliff's ledge, behind her was a mess of trees, a questionable route to take but it was effective. She pushed the sunglasses she was needlessly wearing in the middle of the night to the top of her head, her bangs going up with them. Her wrist rested on her hip while that hand held onto a small leather-bound book filled to the bring with notes, memos, stickies, frankly if anyone opened it in an attempt read they'd give up, deeming it to be some kind of abstract code. "Home sweet home I guess!" she almost yelled out. With one more look, burning the image into her mind, she turned around and vanished into the forest, taking a secret route that only the fantastic four knew of to get in and out of the town quickly.

Thankfully, most everything was just as it was when she left two years ago, a relaxed smile tugged at the corners of her lips as she floated down the stone path, but she was quick to notice strange faces, her smile waning just a bit but not enough to destroy her spirit. After all, she had knowledge of the area and relationships with the townspeople, the Mermaid's Pearl would be hers, no matter what.

A flirtacoius laugh and flash of pink hair caught her attention, and Juno froze her tracks, her curiosity piqued, something about it all being a bit too familiar for her. Her eyes found a woman who leaned against a strange man, obviously faking a stagger while his arm was draped over her, his expression telling Juno he was falling for the act hook, line, and sinker. "Lillian?" Juno exclaimed playfully, rushing after to the pair without paying the situation a second thought.

The now named woman turned around, confused doe eyes watching as Juno rapidly approached before she registered what was happening. A sly jab in the man's side and a girly squeal was enough to push the stranger away so the two women could hug, though there was some tension between the two. "You're back!?" Lillian asked, a bit shocked but maintained her cheer.

"For a limited time," Juno hummed, holding a peace sign, "I thought Rigatoni or Vice would've told you? I'm sure those two still talk..." Juno's voice trailed as she thought of how Lillian could have missed the news. Lillian pressed her lips together at Juno's remark, taking it more of an attack than a mindless comment.

"Look," The strange man pipped up rubbing his probably bruised side "We can pick this up another time if you're busy." He didn't even wait for her answer, only shaking his head and walking off. Obviously irritated by the whole thing.

"A friend?" Juno asked innocently. Lillian could only groan and hold her head at Juno's ignorance.

• OMG
Reactions: GuanYue
"Sorry I asked." Remi muttered, instantly regretting majority of the conversation. Vincent's hard feelings towards Juno, he could understand. He could sympathize with him on the fact that she just seemed to up and leave, leaving everyone she cared for behind. It did sting, but at the same time, he understood the desire to explore the world. And if he had the opportunity to, he probably would have also.

But in the case of Lillian, he really did regret mentioning anything about her. They were worse off than he'd expected. It made him really wonder why they even got together in the first place. Or tried to make it work... or... whatever they were trying to do. It seemed messier than it needed to be. Was that what love was about? Or was it some weird sense that neither of them wanted to fail? He could guess it was something of the latter.

Remi reached out to pat Vincent's shoulder. "How about another round? On me this time." He let his hand drop and then swooped it up to call over the waitress to get another order together. Once she was off to get their drinks, he leaned back in his seat. "How about we talk about positive things for a bit. Like what's going to be in this incoming shipment. Word is that the Market lady is trying a new sales pitch and is working with the apothecary. They've pitched in to import a bunch of exotic teas from all over." He paused and grinned a little. "Guess who's on the job and guess who gets free samples if the job is done well? Me, and you."

Vincent could only pout as Remi offered what felt like pity drinks, but he wasn't about to turn them down. He watched the waitress walk away with their order and was brought back to the conversation when Remi changed the conversation, though he couldn't say shipments were something particularly positive, the dragon riders smile was even more contagious when he was drunk. That and free tea didn't sound bad at all, especially since tea would help with his never-ending hangovers.

"Yeah, I've heard some word about that, I also heard some rumors about a merchant or two freeloading off that ship so we might get some interesting wares passing through for a brief moment. Not to mention some spices and foods so that kitchens will be experimenting for some time too." He could almost taste the food that didn't exist, a brief letter Juno had written in popped into his mind it had no introduction or anything that asked how he was doing. Just a description and names of foods he's never heard of, some names being too difficult looking to even bother pronouncing. He hopped this meant some of the foods she'd described were possibly coming here.

"Things here haven't changed a bit," Juno hummed as she continued her march down the street, Lillian reluctantly in tow. Given how frail Juno looked she was thoroughly impressed the girl had come back home in one piece, looking better than she remembered no less.

"Of course," Lillian sighed, her arms folded over her chest "Nothing ever happens here, that's why you left us isn't it?"

"Ah, don't say it like that," She laughed the comment off, her hand rubbing the back of her neck as if it could wipe away the guilt "I didn't leave because nothing happens, it's just the desire for knowledge, and I learned everything I wanted to learn from here, so it's only natural I move on to bigger pictures." Her statement only earned her a click of the tongue. Hastily and with no tact whatsoever Juno took the conversation in a different direction. "That guy from earlier! Your boyfriend, eh?" She playfully elbowed the girl in the side with a smug smile curled on her lips.

"Boyfriend? Ha! I drank a little too much, and the oaf was just helping me get home, but seeing a ghost sobered me up right quick."

"Ghosts are dead, and I am very much alive. Thank you very much!" Juno fired back defensively, ignoring the fact that her old friend's story didn't sit well with her. The pair halted in front of the inn, the memory of food and alcohol making Juno a little more giddy than she expected to be.

"Oh has our grand adventurer forgotten the taste of booze?" Lillian sneered as soon as she saw the excitement in Juno's eyes.

"Naturally, traveling alone, it doesn't seem smart to be drinking. Don't ya think?"

"Alone?" She raised her brow, shocked and maybe just a bit concerned "No comrades with you at all? Are you insane!?"

"I'm not always alone," Juno reassured as she threw open the door "But you see why it's wise to stay sober." As soon as they had stepped foot, Lillian had noticed familiar faces she didn't want to see right about now, but to her luck so did Juno. The reaction was hard to believe it had come from an adult; her hands fly over her mouth to stifle the squeal that tried to escape her. Without missing a beat, she made a beeline towards the pair, her arm locked with Lillian dragging her along. Lillian was alarmed at how strong Juno was compared to how she remembered.

"Juno?" Vincent blurted out once the woman was she was only a table or so away and rapidly approaching "Lillian!" He said in a voice that sounded more like an accusation, after all didn't she say she had to work late? The toothy grin that sat down across from them seemed all too real to be considered a drunk mix up, and Lillian was looking a little reluctant to sit down was too painfully real to ignore.

"In the flesh." She chimed, placing her hands under her chin as if to present her face like a valuable display item.

"I ran into her on the way here," Lillian added. Vincent was a loss for words considering they were talking about her not long ago, and without thinking, he reached over the table and pulled her cheeks, a cry of protest naturally coming from the poor victim.

"At urtsss! Op em Egato!" She couldn't muster the strength to pry his hands away, and Lillian was no help as all she did was flag a waitress and order their drinks. Without letting go Vincent turned to Remi with wide eyes, needing him to be the last piece of confirmation he needed to accept that this was in fact Juno.

• Love
Reactions: GuanYue