Status
Not open for further replies.
Vixen
Involved: Emilie @Zarko Straadi

Rex Caofino's Office
1 July 1948, Wednesday

_____________________________________________________________________________________________​

There was something strong about the teen and Veronica was filled with a motherly instinct. She was glad that Emilie's parents were present as she was quite weak when it came to orphaned youths. "Alright," Rex spoke with a charming little smile. Professional but not too friendly. Not yet. Veronica was pretty excited and nervous, she had not met a lot of parents, specially not those of the gifted citizens of Geld. She wondered what they would be like. "Let me see your work as I wait for you to fetch your parents. Would that be alright?"

Veronica thought for a moment and changed her mind. "On the second thought, I'd like to welcome them inside."

Rex walked over to the door and braced himself, about to leave his safe zone. He opened it with a slight bow. "After you." he offered.

Emilie:

Setting: Veronica's Office
Wednesday, 3:57 p.m.
Interacting: Veronica Fox ("Rex Caofino")

"OK," Emilie said, and started to open her portfolio, when Rex changed his mind and decided to go with her to invite her parents in instead. Well...that is the more polite approach I guess, and it'll make a good impression for him with Mom and Dad. I wish I could have shown him my designs without Mom looking over my shoulder, but oh well.

"Dear," April said, touching her husband on the shoulder. He folded up his newspaper and looked toward the office Emilie had disappeared into. She had re-emerged much sooner than he'd expected she would, but with a tastefully-dressed young man in tow and a nervous-excited expression on her face. He set the paper aside, got out, and opened the other door for his wife in time for them to greet the young man side by side.

"Mom, Dad, this is Rex Caofino. Mr. Caofino, this is my father, Vander Jameson, and my mother, April Jameson."

• Thank You
Reactions: Banana-senpai
Vixen
Involved: Jameson Family @Zarko Straadi Nathaniel @LuckycoolHawk9

Rex Caofino's Office
1 July 1948, Wednesday

_____________________________________________________________________________________________​
With a courteous little bow and a relaxed smile, Rex greeted the couple. "Mr. and Mrs. Jameson, good afternoon. Pleasure to meet you." He shook hands with them. "Please, come to my office and out of this afternoon heat. This way."

Once everyone settled in the office, Veronica made sure to explain that she wanted to communicate with Emilie's parents about dresses first and foremost. She checked the clock at the side, conscious about how much time she had left as Rex.

"These designs are marvelous, by the way." Rex nodded to Emilie as he held her sketchbook open to a certain page. "Red is definitely Veronica's color. Contrary to popular belief, she prefers showing her figure more discreetly instead of parading around in revealing dresses. Much of the public has not let her cabaret days go even as she pursues singing."

Veronica sighed sadly. She had a minute.

"These dresses are for her to wear to her performances so eye-catching sequins work great. Sparkling beads, not so much. It's a torture to attach and even more to care for in the long run. Silk and lace are fantastic." Rex leafed through the sketchbook, pointing to the designs he referred to. "And if you're unsure, go with deep colors and long slits."

Rex looked at the clock again and nodded to himself. "Right."

He put the sketchbook down on his table and walked to the door, making sure it was locked. "I won't be needing a new piece too often. One every month or two is perfect. But we really need to talk about your superhero costume designing business."

Rex went to stand behind the desk, propping his arms on the table and leaning forward. "I think it's time you met Veronica. Or...Vixen, to be accurate."

The illusion began to fade. Rex Caofino's congenial smile and unique looking suit blurred into a mix of colors, as if their vision became bad for a moment. Veronica's face and features sharpened into view, in the pink dress she was wearing, with the scarf still on her neck, now she was about a head shorter than her other persona.

"There we go." She said cheerfully. "Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Jameson, Mrs. Jameson, Emilie. My name is Veronica Fox."

She took a moment to duck down and straighten up the shoes she tossed off under her desk. She put them on with a small groan and walked over to the front of her desk, just before the Jamesons. "I won't be taking Emilie into any of the establishments I work for, not to worry." She smiled at Mrs. Jameson. "But I am concerned, however. There are quite a lot of gifted individuals here in Geld. It's a nice business to make costumes, specially for those still starting out. Your designs show an impressive understanding of materials. And since you posted an ad, I trust you're prepared to work with tougher stuff. Bullet-proof, fire-proof...maybe shock proof."

She leaned on her table and traced a manicured finger over one of Emilie's designs. "I'm worried about your safety." she said quietly, turning to Emilie. "Things smell a little stirred up lately. Some heroes are making more enemies than loving supporters. Those enemies seem to keep getting solid contacts."

Veronica's tone was gentle, a mother's whispered advice before bed. Emilie was far too young to be involved with the mess of Geld. What with Aeros missing among other things, it was not the best time to be identified as an ally to the supers. At least her parents were good-natured, decent people.

Emilie's ad was on a bulletin board behind Veronica's desk. She glanced at it. "The good guys will seek you, and the bad guys might use you. As bait." Her look darkened. "With your ad already out, I can only hope no one with ill intent would catch it. But I have contacts. I can have you all protected, if needed. If you're prepared for this, you have my word that I will be your affiliate. You know my identity, you know my alias. Like I know yours. I'll refer my clients to you so you can continue, but you must keep a low profile now. And keep this."

She handed Emilie a silver whistle. It looked exactly like the kind used by animal trainers. "You wouldn't hear it, but if you blow, I'll hear it from any part of the city. Use Morse or three short puffs if you need assistance. I'll hear it in most parts of Geld so I can send help."

2 July 1948, Thursday
The office was quiet except for the soft wooshing of Veronica's ceiling fan. Her head was in her hand as she spoke on the phone with her contact from the newspaper publishing company. "It can't possibly be Setting Sun. The Setting Sun. Do you even hear yourself? He's a good guy!" Veronica has been meaning to contact the Setting Sun to inquire about sword training but her contact is convinced he may have been behind a recent massacre.

It was quiet again as she listened to her contact explain his article on some masked swordsman that may not even be the Setting Sun. Her contact recounted the witness testimonies as Veronica leaned back on her chair and spun it slightly. I need a window.

"Fine. I mean, yes. I'll look after myself. Don't worry." She grabbed her mug and sipped from it carefully. Something really odd was happening in Geld and she felt a little more apprehensive about her safety. "Anyway, what's your lead on Aeros?"

Veronica stood up to stretch, not wearing shoes again. She walked to her bulletin board where a picture of a flying man was posted beside Emilie Jameson's ad. "Yeah, I saw the picture, it's not very clear. I can't see his face. There are other flyboys so I can't be too sure..."

"Yes, I suppose so. Thanks, Big Cheese. I have to go now." She put down the phone at last.

She was a little exhausted from her activities from the previous night and considered taking a night off. She sat back down and put her legs on her desk as she idly read through her notes on Aeros again. A hero suspected of murder... Another one went MIA. God, what next. She was still worried about the Jamesons. She knew that she needed more allies, more power. She just didn't know where to start looking.

She tuned in to the sound of footsteps coming down the hall. She got up and went to the door, listening. It was Nathaniel, she guessed from the scent. He was just at the entrance. Time to work...

She sat back down on her office chair, running a hand through her hair. She knew when his knock would come and when he did, he spoke.

"Mr. Caofino, Veronica sent my friend here, but he's sick, may I come in?"

"Yes, come in." Rex replied as he watched his client enter. "Good morning, Nathaniel. Have a seat."

"I have good news for you." Rex said, taking the picture from the bulletin board and handing it to Nathaniel. "This flying man spotted yesterday may have been Aeros."

Last edited by a moderator:
Emilie:

Setting: Veronica's Office
Wednesday, 3:57 p.m.
Interacting: Veronica Fox ("Rex Caofino")

It was a relief to see her parents pleasantly surprised by Mr. Caofino. The three of them followed him back into his office. Finally, the moment of truth: time for Emilie to show her designs. Heart pounding in her chest, she flipped open her sketch book and started into the pitch she'd rehearsed over and over in her mind on the way down.

"Okay, I'll try not to take too much of your time, sir. Here is a gown for performances, red lace over satin, with a mermaid silhouette and high collar. Tassel earrings highlight the Asian influences. I've drawn it here with blue underneath, but it could just as easily be made with white or cream satin under the lace."

She flipped to the next page. "Here is a modern take on a classical theme--"

"Is that bare skin?" April asked, pointing toward the openings that slanted down toward the center of the torso.

"Uh, no, actually, it's a transparent weave..." Emilie said, fighting down nervousness. "There are patterns of translucent sequins along the lower side," she said, pointing toward a sketched-in pattern of small circles on the drawing, "that are meant to be hard to see from a distance, but will sparkle under the spotlights when she's on stage."

"Isn't that a little too...revealing?" April said, giving the design a dubious look.

"Well...not in terms of how much skin you see...I mean, if you look at the gowns singers wear in movies, they'll usually go with plunging necklines. Not to mention the way the cigarette girls dress, and as a whole it covers way more than a swimsuit," she said, hoping her mother wouldn't decide she'd already gone too far and drag her out of Mr. Caofino's office by her arm. "The, uh, idea here is to make Miss Fox stand out by changing what's covered and what's not, to convey an essence of daring without actually being scandalous. The Neoclassical lines convey class and dignity, allowing Miss Fox to play with the contrast during her performances."

Time to move on!
she thought, flipping the page. "These next couple are ideas I had before Miss Fox called me, and they'd probably be better for dinner parties and galas than for performances, but that'd be up to Miss Fox. The concept here is the coming Age of Mobility. If Geld is what the future looks like as they say, with all the multi-lane highways and such, and if the airlines eventually start using the jet engines we now have on the latest military planes," Emilie said, grateful that her brothers loved Popular Mechanics and other magazines of that genre, and that she'd had the chance to look through some of them herself, "then everything is going to be built around cars and airplanes, and people will be getting in and out of vehicles all the time.

"So, think sleek, streamlined clothes without petticoats, ribbons, ruffles, or other things that could get caught on doors or be awkward when getting in or out of a car or airplane seat. This is a shift dress in mid-weight crepe that would go well with a pillbox hat." She flipped the page again.

This is a pleated cape dress in silk gazar. If we do switch from trains and ships to cars and airplanes over the next few years or so, I think fashion could move toward a simpler, more streamlined look. So if she likes these designs, it could be a way for her to get out in front and be the trend-setter." Emilie turned the page again, showing a sketch of a sleek red dress with an attached flowing cape. "OK, this one has a lot more cape...I guess I just like capes. Maybe that's why I got into superheroes? Oh, speaking of superheroes..." Emilie trailed off, flipping the page again.

"I know Miss Fox didn't want me to design a hero costume for her, but I always try to design a costume to express the essence of the hero it's for, so I drew one for her to give her an idea of my design process. Since she doesn't get in fights as far as I know, this is designed for...appearance and appeal rather than combat, to, uh, fit with the 'Vixen' theme. From what I've read about her, her powers seem to be focused on knowledge. So, the headgear is meant to be reminiscent of an open book, but her face comes through because she isn't just reading, she's also speaking the knowledge...like she is the book, in a symbolic sense.

"Of course if I were to actually design a costume for her, I'd want to talk to her about her specific needs and what she wants to express with her costume. This is just to give her an idea of how I go about it." She noticed Rex checking the clock. Curses! He's bored! Of course Father had spent the whole time gamely trying to look interested in a showcase of women's fashion for his daughter's sake, but he wasn't the one she was hoping to impress. "So, uh...what do you think?"

"These designs are marvelous, by the way." Rex nodded to Emilie as he flipped her sketchbook to one of the designs. "Red is definitely Veronica's color. Contrary to popular belief, she prefers showing her figure more discreetly instead of parading around in revealing dresses. Much of the public has not let her cabaret days go even as she pursues singing."

Rex sighed. Strangely, he sounded sad. Darn! I shouldn't have brought the Neoclassical one! Emilie thought.

"These dresses are for her to wear to her performances so eye-catching sequins work great. Sparkling beads, not so much. It's a torture to attach and even more to care for in the long run. Silk and lace are fantastic." Rex leafed through the sketchbook, pointing to the designs he referred to. "And if you're unsure, go with deep colors and long slits."

"OK," Emilie said, wishing she'd had time to flesh out an Art Deco design. The ones she'd seen had complex inter-weaving parallel lines of sequins or beads, and Emilie had bet on Veronica preferring more modern designs. She quickly whipped out a pocket tablet to take notes in shorthand. Silk, lace, sequins, slits, deep colors.

"Right," he said, then set the sketchbook down and went over to...lock the door? "I won't be needing a new piece too often. One every month or two is perfect. But we really need to talk about your superhero costume designing business."

Rex went to stand behind the desk, propping his arms on the table and leaning forward. "I think it's time you met Veronica. Or...Vixen, to be accurate."

The illusion began to fade. Rex Caofino's congenial smile and unique looking suit blurred into a mix of colors, as if their vision became bad for a moment. Veronica's face and features sharpened into view, in the pink dress she was wearing, with the scarf still on her neck, now she was about a head shorter than her other persona.

"There we go," she said cheerfully. "Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Jameson, Mrs. Jameson, Emilie. My name is Veronica Fox."

Emilie's tablet slipped from her fingers and hit the floor. "That. Was amazing!" Emilie said, her face bright with wonder. She looked back at her parents with an expression that said, 'See? Now can you understand why I want to be part of this superhero thing so much?' They looked at Veronica with stunned expressions.

"He...you..." Vander stammered. Emilie was pretty sure her parents were having a harder time wrapping their heads around the idea that the young man they'd been talking to was actually a young woman, than around the concept of the superpower itself. Emilie's mind was still too enraptured with what she'd just 'seen' and whether Veronica could just change her own appearance, or if she could make it seem like they were in a medieval castle, wondering if her hand would have passed through empty space if she'd tried to touch 'Rex's' face, or if Veronica's power could make her think he was real. She had a million questions. The possible implications of Veronica's 'sex change' didn't even register.

Before Emilie could fully recover from astonishment, Veronica continued talking...and then broached the subject of safety. That snapped her parents out of it too; Veronica had their full attention. As she spoke, Emilie's blood ran cold, and her heart sank. Numbly, she took the offered whistle.

"But..." Emilie stammered. It never occurred to her that villains might want to hurt her and her family. After all, the Mob didn't attack factories that made police uniforms, did they? Still, if Veronica Fox said they were in danger, she had to be right. Simple as that.

"Thank you very much Miss Fox," Vander said. "I am sorry that we've wasted your time. I'm afraid we can't allow our daughter to be involved with any of this. It's too dangerous. As soon as we get home, we're going to call the phone company and get our number changed. Then you're going to call the paper and have them stop printing that ad."

"But..." Emilie fiddled with the whistle, holding it out almost like a talisman.

"Dear, if some criminal with death-ray eyes comes after you, you're not going to have time to blow a whistle and wait for someone to come rescue you."

Emily paled as it sunk in that she was putting not only herself, but her whole family in danger. "The number will still be in the phone book. But...if I had a power of my own..."

"Absolutely not! Don't even start. I forbid you to go anywhere near that shop ever again, do you understand me? We're going home this instant, and that's final. Thank you for your time and trouble Miss Fox, but we must be going."

Just before the office door closed behind them, Emilie looked back at Veronica with a look of longing for the wondrous, magical world she was being taken away from forever. In the back seat of the car, swerving around traffic on one of Geld's multi-lane highways, it hit Emilie that they'd left her sketchbook and notepad behind in their haste.

Last edited:
2 July 1948, Thursday
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
The office was quiet except for the soft wooshing of Veronica's ceiling fan. Her head was in her hand as she spoke on the phone with her contact from the newspaper publishing company. "It can't possibly be Setting Sun. The Setting Sun. Do you even hear yourself? He's a good guy!" Veronica has been meaning to contact the Setting Sun to inquire about sword training but her contact is convinced he may have been behind a recent massacre.

It was quiet again as she listened to her contact explain his article on some masked swordsman that may not even be the Setting Sun. Her contact recounted the witness testimonies as Veronica leaned back on her chair and spun it slightly. I need a window.

"Fine. I mean, yes. I'll look after myself. Don't worry." She grabbed her mug and sipped from it carefully. Something really odd was happening in Geld and she felt a little more apprehensive about her safety. "Anyway, what's your lead on Aeros?"

Veronica stood up to stretch, not wearing shoes again. She walked to her bulletin board where a picture of a flying man was posted beside Emilie Jameson's ad. "Yeah, I saw the picture, it's not very clear. I can't see his face. There are other flyboys so I can't be too sure..."

"Yes, I suppose so. Thanks, Big Cheese. I have to go now." She put down the phone at last.

She was a little exhausted from her activities from the previous night and considered taking a night off. She sat back down and put her legs on her desk as she idly read through her notes on Aeros again. A hero suspected of murder... Another one went MIA. God, what next. She was still worried about the Jamesons. She knew that she needed more allies, more power. She just didn't know where to start looking.

She tuned in to the sound of footsteps coming down the hall. She got up and went to the door, listening. It was Nathaniel, she guessed from the scent. He was just at the entrance. Time to work...

She sat back down on her office chair, running a hand through her hair. She knew when his knock would come and when he did, he spoke.

"Mr. Caofino, Veronica sent my friend here, but he's sick, may I come in?"

"Yes, come in." Rex replied as he watched his client enter. "Good morning, Nathaniel. Have a seat."

"I have good news for you." Rex said, taking the picture from the bulletin board and handing it to Nathaniel. "This flying man spotted yesterday may have been Aeros."

Nathaniel wasn't sure what to say to that news. That was not what he expected to hear when he entered the office. He had dreamt of this, but had never thought that anyone would ever get a lead on his brother, he was beyond excited, he was happy and ecstatic, nothing could ruin this moment- well, except perhaps his brother walking in. He stared at the man and wasn't sure what to say to thank him for the little fact that he had uncovered for him.

He shouldn't have gotten so excited though, he didn't even know if this was indeed his brother. He flew and he knew that other meta-humans flew, his brother was one of the first, but he wasn't the only one who existed in Geld City, had he risen his hopes too high?

If he had risen his hopes too high, would he be to come back from the high that he had been given? He wasn't certain- and might indeed break his heart if it wasn't his brother. Maybe he had a photo- he could definitely recgonize the hero in a photo.

He hadn't even asked for specifics, he had tried so hard to be professional and he was losing it already. He took a deep breath and he wasn't sure if he could hold his excitement within himself forever, but he could try. There was a moment of pause, before he addressed Caofino.

"Where was the flying man spotted? I don't remember anyone mentioning it recently," he said to the man.

He needed to know that information, it was incredibly important to the young man, especially if his older brother was trying to send him a message, there were particular locations where that would happen. He had made his brother pick out locations, but he hadn't heard any news that made him suggest that it was indeed his brother, he knew that everything was going to be good if he was indeed right about his theory.

He paused and needed to remember that he hadn't considered the possibility that he was wrong, he ignored it. He had to be right this time, he couldn't afford to be wrong another time for once.

If he was indeed wrong again, then he would have to accept the fact that his brother might have been murdered and he didn't like that idea one bit.

Nathaniel had been standing for the whole time and his brain wasn't even registering he was holding a photo.

He looked at the photo and examined it. It was indeed blurry and he wasn't sure what to make of it. " So, what is the next step? How do we find this photographed flyboy?" He asked.

@Mippu

✦ d a s h i e l l ✦
interactions : none.

Dashiell hadn't even realized that his shift had ended twenty minutes ago until he felt a gentle tap on his shoulder, turning to look at one of the waitresses who flashed him a nervous smile. "Dash, your shift ended about twenty minutes ago, sweetheart," the girl had said as she gestured to the clock, and Dashiell followed her gesture to the clock. She was right. Dashiell rubbed his eyes, giving a small, apologetic smile.
"Ah, sorry, I'm so tired that time seems to be a long blur." He hummed with a chuckle as he wiped off some sugar onto his apron, not caring that it left the faintest trace of sparkles on the black fabric. The girl, Annie, just gave the smallest trace of a giggle. "You work too hard, Dashiell, really. Go home and get some rest, if you come back with dark circles under your eyes again, I'm going to tell the boss that you've been sneaking coffees." She said jokingly, but the concern was real, Dashiell could tell from the tone of her voice.

The boy just scratched the back of his head with a nervous smile. "Yeah, alright, I'll try my best." He said as he hung up his waiter's apron in the back in exchange for his jacket, eventually making his way out of the kitchen once more and sending Annie a small wave as she leaned over the counter. "See you tomorrow, get some sleep." She called out to him again, and his departure was announced with the jingle of the door, and a faint "I will!" over the shoulder.

He had been so preoccupied with dragging his feet and engaging in idle chatter with Annie that he hadn't noticed the men get up soon after he left.

And he was so tired, he didn't even seem to notice that he was being followed, just stuffing his hands in the coat of his pocket, deciding to take the quick way home and cut through a few alleyways rather than walking the extra three or four blocks to get back to his apartment complex. It wasn't long until after he dipped into the dark alleyway that he noticed the presence of the men following him. And it wasn't a very nice introduction.

Dashiell had turned around just in time to see his collar getting grabbed, shoved against the wall with so much force it nearly knocked the wind out of him. He knew he had made a ridiculous shriek noise upon seeing the men looming over him, but he had more to worry about than his pride right now. It wasn't more than a second until he was punched in the face, effectively knocking him onto the ground.

"That's what you get for being a little queer." The man who punched him had hissed, and Dashy looked up just in time to get a headcount of the men; three of them. But he didn't get to look much longer as a sharp kick landed in his side. "Where ya going, fruitcake? To your boyfriend's house?" The man to the furthest left sneered, flicking a cigeratte butt onto what was once Dashy's white shirt, now covered with dirt from being shoved to the ground.

He coughed. "I didn't do anything to you, just leave me al--" kicked again. Dashy let out a yelp of pain under the sole of the man's shoe, who continued to taunt him despite the fact Dashy wasn't even listening anymore. "We don't like fairies in our town, y'hear?" The asshole snickered as if he had been the first one to come up with the slur 'fairy'.
It was at this time Dashy realized he wasn't useless, he could fight back-- but before he could even raise his hand, it was crushed under a boot. Dashy hissed in pain, trying to spit out an insult, but it was lost on his tongue.

Man, was this not his day.

Last edited:
Emilie:

"Are you sure you don't want to come to Bridge with us?" April said.

"No, that's OK," Emilie replied. "Bridge is a four-player game. Here at home I can read a book without being rude. Don't worry about me, OK? I'm fine." Vander and April looked at each other, then back at Emilie, skeptical. Their daughter had been morose for the rest of the day, especially after Vander had put his foot down and forbade her from any further contact with Miss Fox, even to make ordinary dresses. With the boys all out on dates, there would be no one to keep her company. "I'll be fine. Really. Go have fun." They hesitated, and Emilie choked back a sigh. "I'm not going to tip over and die just because I'm being a sad-sack, you know. You don't have to keep a vigil. If you make me go to the Wilsons' with you, I'll just be a sad-sack there, and be a rain cloud over an otherwise happy evening."

"It's for your own protection--" Vander said for what had to be the upteenth time.

"I know. But after losing the best opportunity of my whole life, I can still be sad, can't I?"

"Honey, you don't need to be looking for 'opportunities,' you need to be looking for a nice young man to marry," Vander said in his Father Knows Best voice.

"Yeah? And what do I do if I find one? Somebody won't let me go out on dates, even though all three of the boys could at my age," Emilie said, tears glistening in her eyes. "Being alone and sad kinda sounds like my future."

"Don't you take that tone of voice with me, young lady!" Whaddaya gonna do, ground me? Make me stay home from Game Night at the Wilsons'? It's not like you guys ever let me do anything anyway, she thought, letting out that sigh she'd been holding back.

"Sorry. I just...really don't feel like smiling and being polite and trying to pretend I'm happy when I'm not and probably failing at it and when Mr. or Mrs. Wilson asks, 'Emilie dear, what's wrong?' what am I supposed to say? 'Oh no, nothing, nothing, everything's fine!'" Emilie said, putting on a happy-face that was especially unconvincing due to the tears running down her cheeks. "Or 'Oh I dunno, maybe it's that I just lost my chance at a dream job, or maybe it's the fact that wanting it in the first place makes me a rotten person because I just put my whole family in danger of being killed by criminals with death-ray eyes and as the cherry on top of that Sundae of Doom, here I am ruining everyone's evening, and how was your day, Mrs. Wilson?'"

"Oh, dearest! You're not a rotten person! None of us knew that super-criminals might want to attack you for making costumes," April said, going over to give her daughter a comforting hug. "But now that we do know, we have to be careful. You understand, don't you?" Emilie nodded. "Maybe...maybe your father and I could go back to Miss Fox and see if she will write you a letter of recommendation, to get you into a good design school or even an apprenticeship so you can design nice clothes for ordinary people. This whole thing will blow over." Emilie nodded again, even though an apprenticeship or a design school just didn't have the same thrill as starting her own business and succeeding at it. And no chances to meet superheroes, or have the feeling that her designs were actually helping to do good in the world.

"Vander, why don't we just let her stay in tonight? All she really needs is to have a good cry."

"Alone? What if one of those thugs decides to come after her?" Emilie pulled away and looked her father in the eye.

"Daddy...you can't fight off supervillains--that's why they call them supervillains. If any supervillain ever attacks me, I don't want you or Mom or the boys, or even the Wilsons or anyone else nearby."

"Emilie, I fought Nazis. They were real supervillains, not these clowns in capes and tights. If any of them wants to come after my little girl, he's gotta get through me." Emilie gave him a bittersweet smile.

"Yeah, but you had the whole United States Marine Corps with you then. And we kinda have a shortage of machine guns and tanks around the house. You can't guard me day and night. I don't want you to, because if somebody with super powers attacks, the thing to do is run, and it'd be a lot easier for me to just run for all I'm worth, and blow on this whistle," Emilie said, brandishing it, "if I didn't have to worry that my dad is getting hurt...or worse...because of me. You stood up to the Nazis because it was the right thing to do, even though it was incredibly dangerous, even though it could have left your family without a husband and father. Because it was the right thing to do. Now, maybe I can't stand up to a supervillain," Or maybe I can... "but I can want to protect my family, I can prefer they come after me instead of you, and I can choose not to live my life in fear.

"Besides...what are the chances that anybody's going to want to kill me because I made a costume for Captain Amazing? It's not like I'd made one for Legend or War Eagle. Don't worry. Like Mom says, it'll blow over. You're gonna be late. Go on, have fun. Please?"

"Come on, Vander. She's right. Unless you want to commit yourself to following her around on guard duty when she's clothes-shopping with her friends..."

"...Alright. But Emilie, if you get any hint of anything suspicious, you blow that whistle and call the Wilsons'."

"Alright, Daddy," she said, going over to give him a teary hug.

Emilie never did have that good cry. She'd headed for her bedroom alright, but upon reaching it, found herself pacing back and forth instead of throwing herself on her bed. Under it, she could feel the presence of her decks of Tarot cards, and of course, her Deck, the one that gave her her powers. Because it was the right thing to do. What if I'm supposed to stand up to the supervillains instead of hiding and pretending that I didn't get my notice from Superhero Selective Service? By stretching out her senses, she could feel the three decks of playing cards in the family game cabinet. Pushing to her limits, she could feel, barely, at least one deck of cards in each next-door neighbor's house. Besides, if a supervillain attacks us, it'll be my fault. I'm the one with the superpower. I should be the one who fights them, not Daddy or the boys. So I'd better get good at it. Right?

She reached out for her cards and called them to her. The box slid out from under her bed, and she opened it to reveal the purple and blue folds of her costume.

Tarot flinched inwardly whenever she got weird looks, but she soldiered on. I'm a superhero on patrol, she reminded herself. It was scary and thrilling; she'd never gone out at night all by herself, especially not on this side of town. Then she heard it: a high-pitched scream. Her heart jumped into her throat. Daddy never talked about the actual business of fighting in the War; what it felt like to kill somebody, or what you told yourself when you had to climb out of a foxhole and charge against machine guns. Now Emilie wished she'd pried.

Somebody's getting hurt! Now GO! Gathering her resolve, she ran toward the sound. From a dark alley came sounds of thuds and thumps, fists and feet hitting flesh. There was just enough moonlight for her to see three hulking forms looming over one smaller form, curled up on the ground.

"We don't like fairies in our town, y'hear?!" on of them hissed.

Wha? Fairies? The person on the ground tried to raise a hand, but the man stomped on it and ground it under his toe. What do I say?! Emilie thought, scrambling to think of something heroic. Recalling Miss Fox's words about the dangers of the superhero business, she decided to deepen her voice to hide her identity, and hopefully sound more imposing.

"Wicked men! You have been weighed in the scales and found wanting! I, Tarot, play the Trump of Justice!" The men whirled at the sound. Tarot stood silhouetted against the streetlight behind her, fists planted on her hips.

"Well now, looks like we got us another one," the man snarled menacingly. He started to saunter toward her, adding speed and fury to his steps as it seemed that the masked 'fairy' wasn't inclined to start running.

Emilie gulped. OK...OK...I can do this. If Daddy can fight Nazis... She flipped her hands out to her sides with a magician's flourish. WHIRRRRRRRRRRRR! Cards shot out of her sleeves, and boiled out of pockets cleverly concealed among the folds of her costume, swirling around her like a cyclone. She introduced a subtle flapping vibration into them, so that they'd generate the angry drone of a horde of giant hornets.

"What the--it's one of those costumed freaks!" another man said. The first man started to charge her, but she stretched an arm toward him, conducting a swarm of cards to shoot at his face like machine gun bullets. She directed more to attack the other men, dealing dozens of cuts to their faces and driving them back from their victim.

It's working! Tarot thought--just when the first man crossed his arms over his face and barrelled toward her with a yell of rage. She tried to backpedal and redouble her attack, but he was on her in an instant with a jab to the gut followed up with an uppercut. The next thing Tarot knew, she was on her back trying to shake the stars from her eyes, hearing the last echoes of her yelp of pain and surprise. Her concentration broken, her cards scattered and fluttered in the air.

"You squeal like a girl!" the man said with a sneer in his voice.

"That's 'cause I am a girl, you idiot," Tarot hissed between gritted teeth. He kicked her for her trouble.
"It's nothin' but a pack of cards!" one of the others said as they abandoned Dashiell to come work over his 'rescuer.'

"Well now, if you're a girl, how 'bout we show that fairy how real men have fun," the first man said. As they reached for her, Tarot saw the looks in their eyes and realized she really didn't like where this was headed.

A loud shriek cuts through the air catching Earl's ear. He stops looking down at the street below him and jerks his head to the direction of the shriek. "What was that?" He asks himself. Its high pitch sound was reminiscent of a woman's but it was most definitely a man's voice. Earl turns his body to the direction of the sound and starts running toward it. He needed to move quickly so he accelerated himself by riding the sound waves in the air. The action caused a loud boom when he took off. Earl was now clearing these buildings with ease, Leaping over the gaps that separated them with no problem thanks to his speed boost.

When he grew closer to his target destination he had to plan his stop or risk hurting himself. He started to slow down, Leaping one last gap before doing so. He planted his feet on the ground and start to slide until he came to a stop. Doing this over time would quickly wear out his boots. It got pretty annoying having to change them as much as he did. He walks up to the side of the rooftop that looks over the alleyway where the shriek came from. What he saw surprised him.

He saw a man on the ground who look to have been beaten and a group of men being assaulted by...Cards. A person dress in a costume seemed to be controlling the cards someway. Were they like him? Were they using Telekinesis to do this and If so, Why limit yourself to just some useless cards? The costume seemed to be pushing the men back but one wised up and covered his face with his forearms and started to advance towards her fast. He yelled like a wild animal as he charged at her withstanding each card's cut. As soon as he got close a swift jab to gut for the costume and a mean uppercut after it. This bastard might just know how to fight, He may just be some trouble but only a little. The costume was now on the ground and the cards falling around them like leaves.

"You squeal like a girl!" The man said.

"That's 'cause I am a girl, you idiot,"She responded. This didn't surprise Earl, Only a girl would wear what she was wearing.

"It's nothin' but a pack of cards!" One of the men said as the group moved towards the girl who was still being pinned down by the man who punched her. They were no longer focus on the man they were just beating a moment ago.

"Well now, if you're a girl, how 'bout we show that fairy how real men have fun," The man on top of the girl said. Earl didn't like where this was heading. He pieced enough together to know who to help. These men had assaulted the man on the ground and this girl stupidly got involved and was now about to be violated. Earl jumps off the roof and down to the ground using a pulse of sound to soften the landing. He lands with hands and one knee on the ground. He slowly stands up and looks at the men through his goggles. He smiles under his scarf that wrapped around the lower portion of his face covering his nose and mouth. 'Okay Earl, It time for Sonorous to kick some ass!' he mentally says to hype himself up.

"Okay creeps," He voice was deeper, He was using his control over sound to change it. "I don't know the full story but I don't like where it's going. Back off or I'm going to beat you guys like..." He didn't know what to say! He wanted to sound cool but all he could do was draw a blank. Sonorous panics and blurts out "Drums!" He pauses as he realizes how lame that sounds.

One man looked at Earl and snarls at him revealing some missing teeth. "I'm sick of you costumed freaks sticking your noses in places they don't belong! You just make shit harder for guys like us." He starts to move towards Sonorous while digging in his pocket. He pulls out a knife, A big one. "I'm gonna carve you up like a Thanksgiving turkey and I always fuck em up too." He says with a devious smile and starts to chuckle. He then runs in and tries to stab Sonorous.

Sonorous smiles under his scarf and moves to the side dodging the knife. "Predictable." He whispers. He then quick punches the man in the stomach with an accelerated punch and follows up with a fearsome uppercut. It was the same thing that put the girl on the ground but this guy would stay down. Earl lifted his boot over the man head and stomped on it as hard as possible repeatedly until the man's face and back of his head was red. The man's blood had gotten all over the bottom of his boot. He then looks to the others. "You bastards are all going to regret this. Get off the girl and I'll try to be gentle. I'm not playing with some silly cards. I could just rupture your ear drums a clap, But that would harm her and the guy on the ground so it old fashion brawling for you guys." Sonorous readies himself by raising his fist. "Who want's it first? Who want to go home with their face looking like a knot!" Sonorous confidently threatened. The men didn't seem to be ready to back off and all Sonorous did was just piss them off.

@Mysty @Zarko Straadi @Mundane Monster (Nearby)

Emilie:

In a panic, Tarot buffeted at the man, but he just ignored her blows. His malicious, leering expression and the blood seeping from countless cuts turned his face into a visage of horror. He grabbed her breast, and her crotch. Emilie gave a choked scream. Despite her terror, some part of her just didn't want to be the Screaming Helpless Girl.

Con...cen...traaate....

"Good news, boys, this one's a real girl, not some fairy in drag!" Suddenly, Tarot knew what she had to do.

"Don't...make me--" she hissed.

"Oh I'll make you, alright. Are you a virgin?" He pulled up her mask. She hadn't thought it possible, but his grin became even worse. "Oooh--*fwip*---nnngh!" A single card shot into his mouth and shoved itself into his throat like some strange, flat creature trying to crawl into its den.

BAM! Gunshot? Tarot worried.

"Okay creeps," a deep voice said, a resonant harbinger of doom. "I don't know the full story but I don't like where it's going. Back off or I'm going to beat you guys like...drums!"

Apparently not a gun, since one of the other men charged her apparent rescuer saying something about Thanksgiving turkeys.

The eyes of the man attacking Tarot went wide as he started to choke. They filled her vision, turning from surprise to anger to animal fear...then to agony when his gag reflex was triggered, and the card diverted the eruption of bile back down his throat, some of it streaming into his broncheal passages.

*Thud-thud--kathump* The sound of a very short fight, followed by the sickening cracks of a skull being stomped into the ground.

"You bastards are all going to regret this. Get off the girl and I'll try to be gentle. I'm not playing with some silly cards. I could just rupture your ear drums a clap, But that would harm her and the guy on the ground so it old fashion brawling for you guys." Sonorous readies himself by raising his fist. "Who wants it first? Who want to go home with their face looking like a knot!" Mr. Deep Voice said. A sonic power?

Tarot knew she shouldn't have felt a sting from his comment about her cards under the circumstances, but she did anyway. She consolidated some cards into a deck, then hurled it at her attacker's rib cage, knocking him off of her with the force of the blow. The deck scattered and swirled around her to provide concealment while she pulled her mask back down and climbed to her feet. The rest of her cards rose to join them. By now, her attacker was clawing at his throat, coughing, choking, and vomiting. She kept some of them swirling around her like a Chinese dragon, and formed up two fleets to face the third attacker edge-on, angled so they could attack him from the diagonals if he tried to advance, but not get in her rescuer's way if he engaged.

Mr. Deep Voice turned out to be a young man who cut a fine figure in what she had to admit was a very nice costume, reminiscent of a flight suit complete with scarf and goggles. His foe lay at his feet, a pool of blood forming a halo around his head. Tarot looked down at her former attacker. Alright, I guess he's subdued, time to pull it out. She reached for the card in his throat...and could only barely move it. She could feel her connection to it ebbing as stomach acid, saliva, and mucus conspired to damage its image. Another feeble twitch, and the card became an inert thing...as did the man himself a few convulsions later.

✦ d a s h i e l l ✦
interactions : Emilie @Zarko Straadi, Earl @Merlin

Dashiell had been in a haze for the beginning of the brawl, having been pushed to the ground with enough force to knock him out of reality for a few minutes. He heard the faint, gurgled noises of a fight a few feet away from him, a voice that was lighter and unfamiliar compared to the gruff voices of the thugs that had pinned him in the alleyway. In and out the voices faded from Dashiell's consciousness.
"Wicked men.. trump of Justice!"

An ache in Dash's head,

"You squeal like a girl!"

Throbbing pain in his rib.

"..show the fairy how real men act.. "

Dashy blinked himself into reality, his vision focusing just in time to see his savior now a fellow victim, on the ground with men looming over her. The same thugs that had pinned him and beat him seemed to have even worse crimes on their minds, and Dashy moved to sit up, to try and stop them from laying a hand on the poor girl, before there was a sound that had pounded through the air; a gunshot, maybe? Whatever it was, it had caused Dashiell to jump, blinking the darkness out of his eyes to see yet another savior, jumping into action to save the masked girl from unspeakable crimes.
"...back off or I'll beat you like drums!"
He sat against the wall with eyes that rivaled that of a deer in headlights as the second savior leaped into action, deep voiced and full of intimidation... and violence, apparently. He could only watch with owlish eyes as the thwack, crack, crunch of a skull filled the silence, this man apparently holding no mercy; could Dash really blame him, though? Death was always something Dashiell carefully skidded around, and it was always a rather brash end, but these thugs deserved.

It didn't make it pretty to watch, though.

He didn't know when his arm had went to cover his eyes from the scene in front of him, but he suspected it had been sometime between the repeated crushing of the thug's skull, or the card getting lodged into the man's body courtesy of the masked girl. Never blame Dashiell of doubting those tarot cards, because damn, did they do some damage. Dashiell's stomach went into a little twist as the man started to throw up, thankfully he had the sense not to look, but the sound alone was.. ew. His weak stomach was all the more reason that kept Dashiell from ever being one of them, he doubted he could kill someone even in a situation like this. Smashing someone's head in with a boot or choking someone out with a pack of demonic cards were not really his forte.

Y'know, most men at this point would have the better sense to flee. The thug of a man had just watched his counterparts face gruesome deaths, yet it didn't stop him from pulling out a gun as if a bullet really served a chance against either of the two. Then again, most smart men didn't spend their days in alleyways assaulting people. "You stupid whore!" He yelled, aiming the gun for the nearest vigilante, which happened to be the masked girl.

"Look out!" The unmistakable sound of gunfire, yet the killing thing never got to do it's killing. Instead, the bullet had stopped mid-air, wisps dancing around the bullet as if the thing was made of paper. Dashiell's hand was outstretched, almost as if there was an invisible string attached to his hand and the bullet, the wisps' twins dancing around Dashy's hand as they did the bullet. He hadn't meant to do that, what was originally supposed to be a call for the girl to move had turned into him using his freaky, witch powers. Well, he could work with that.

Dashiell made no witty quip about magic or bullets, in fact, he seemed more scared than triumphant as he curled his fingers, and with a quick, near snap motion of his wrist, the bullet continued it's speedy path, this time aimed at the man who shot it.

Straight through his neck went the bullet, and with a sickening splurt of blood, followed by the most disgusting gurgle noise Dashiell had ever heard. The gun fell to the ground with a clank, and soon, the thug went down with it, a hard thump against the concrete as his blood slowly dripped its way onto the cold ground under him.

Dashy still sat against the brick wall, his hand lowering slowly once the gun had dropped from his hand. Again, his expression mirrored that of a deer in headlights, and he didn't want to stand for fear of tripping over his feet and looking like an idiot. The silver glow was slowly fading from his eyes, their color returning to their more human, soft brown shade. He had just killed a man.

He swallowed hard at the realization, just glancing between the two heroes and then at the bodies on the ground, words obviously stuck on his tongue. Someone help this poor loser find his words.

Location: Serpico Tenura >> Geld; an Alley close to Geld Diner
July 2nd 1948
10:35 AM >> 7 PM

Adalberto ate, gladly slurping this heavenly congee like the comfort food that it was. Just as he was about to eat a spoonful more of it, his companion suddenly spoke. "Stop calling me a friend, friends of mine often get harrassed by Russian mercenaries," his new friend; Leone, warned him, then turned to his plate of food. Adalberto shrugged at him, a gesture that Bruno groaned at. It was his default, sounds like fun, bring it shrug. One that always led to chaos, disaster but surprising profit for the clan. The Italian Capo opened his mouth to provide more incentives for helping. I mean, Giulia's cooking was brilliant, who wouldn't want more of Giulia's cooking, but Leone beat him to it.

"I can't make any promises in regards to the swordsman or this framer, but I could try and work what channels I have. You do have an ally against Cryo Corp." he told Adalberto. Mulling it over in his head, Adalberto took another of the chicken lollipops there. "Hmmmmm..." he hummed as he took a bite. To be fair, he couldn't ask Leone to fight for them. That wouldn't be fair, he wasn't part of the famiglia anyway. And an ally against Cryo Corp was great, unexpected even. "Fair enough, friend." Adalberto finally replied, pointing the chicken bone at the Russian, purposely using the term anyway. "That's more than I can ask for."

Turning to the soldato, Adalberto's eyes turned hard. "Bruno, continue your monitoring. This, uh, eh, money washing, is that right? Anyway, that, let your men stay far away from it. If something does go down, we wouldn't want anything of ours there." Pausing, he then added, "In fact, the streets of Geld should be empty of the Vicenti this Friday." Bruno narrowed his eyes at the order but nodded and looking at the Russian then met Adalberto's eyes.

Scoffing, Adalberto waved away his concern with an eyeroll. Leone wasn't mafia, just a man with a vendetta. He wouldn't betray them. Besides, if he did, it was just so easy to send Cryo Corps in his direction and let them finish him off. Bruno was too much of a worrywart. Adalberto, after all, is a good judge of character.

Nodding, the burly soldato left the room, leaving the two acquaintance alone. Ignoring the awkward silence, Adalberto looked to his Russian companion, his accent slightly revealing itself when he spoke a few words. "Eat, my friend," Adalberto told him. "Giulia will make it her mission to fatten you up, like a Hansel, if you don't." He joking warned and turned back to his meal.

Once fed, Adalberto lead his companion towards one the desks, this one holding stacks of folders and envelopes containing information on the Cryo Corp. "This is all the information we were able to gather on them," Adalberto told him, wincing at the stacks of folders and envelopes. "I know, it's not much, but they were good at hiding evidence for the longest time." He walked towards his desk, the one, away from the veranda, this one was neater and held just as much paperwork.

"I'll drive you home, friend," he told the other as he sat in his chair, picking the fountain pen there for him to start his most hated job in as a Capo; paperwork. He read the first line of the paper and narrowed his eyes, then remembered he was holding a conversation. "Oh, and, uh, right! I'll drive you but not now, the polizzia will be crawling all over Geld, looking for possible suspects about the warehouse, but don't worry, the Questore--uh, you say, Chief Polizzia? Anyway, he is a...client of Giulia's daughter. He's...sweet on her," he told his guest, uncertain if client is the proper term for him, seeing as this Questore pays her for her company.

"We will leave, probably once it isn't so hot outside." He added as he read the financial report of tobacco. "Feel free to go through all the information on Cryo Corp. Perhaps, we can plan something later, on the road. If you need anything, pull on the rope there, a cameriera--a maid, will come to take your request." He instructed as he looked up. "My liquor cabinet is open for your use too, should you need a stiff drink. The contents of those folders are...gruesome." With that, Adalberto began to go through the dreaded paperwork.

He heard the door open and blinked when his shoulder began to throb without him knowing. Looking up, he saw that the sky was darkening outside. Turning back to the door, he saw Giulia's unimpressed look and he sheepishly stood up and drank the pain medication that she handed him.

"Leone, friend!" he called out, remembering he needed to send the other home. "We should have dinner at the diner, before we send you home. What do you think? OW! Giulia!" he cried as Giulia knocked him on the head. "Per che cos'era quello? What did I do, Giulia?!" he asked loudly, rubbing the spot she managed to hit. "Vi sarà tranquillo, Adalberto!" she whispered, though it was a futile attempt. The Russian was already waking.

Seeing Giulia's slightly manic look on her face, Adalberto quickly moved towards Leone. "My friend, it is soon night. Let's head back to the city proper and perhaps we can discuss our next from there," he asked, helping the other up, wincing when he jostled his shoulder. "Wretched bullet wounds." he muttered and squawked at Giulia's attempt to hit him again. "Stop it!" he cried as he did. "We cannot keep him! He is not a stray cat, OW! Giulia!" Giulia began to mutter in rabid Italian, a look of pure justice in her face that made Adalberto wary.

"Leone, come!" He roared as he rushed to the door, laughing to himself at the unintended pun. "Giulia's going to tie you to a chair and keep you if you stay a second longer! Giulia's gone senile!" He added, laughing as he led the other man down through the mansion. Reaching the front doors, he nodded as Enrique ran to bring the car. "Sorry about that, Giulia likes to take strays." he apologised as he wheezed and ignored his throbbing shoulder. "But man, can you run fast!" He whined as tried to get his breath back, his shoulder throbbing. It seemed like the pain medication needed to be tweaked again, his blood stream ate through it like butter.

"Capo!" Enrique called out as the he drove the car by the front doors. "Come on, Leone." He waved as he sat at the back, making space for the larger man. "Enrique, we will first have dinner at our favourite diner before we send our friend home." The younger man nodded hesitantly, looking wary at his companion.

Adalberto filled the silence with chatter about Italy and how Geld was not that different, but much cleaner. "Let me tell you, Messina, is filthy. Not that we can help it, the recession is hitting Southern Italy hard," he mentioned, "This is why Don Vicenti sent me here, to help our Italian farmers get better work and earn for their families back home." Rolling his shoulders in pain, he sighed. "My business here is mostly legal. Well, mostly." He admitted, completely ignoring the fact he should be keeping this silent, but he can't keep his mouth shut. A personal weakness, his need to chatter. "Most of the red light district are under my protection, and there are a series of small time semi-legal business all over Geld, no one ever discovered it." He added with a smug chuckle. As if realising something, Adalberto pulled out a small metal case out of his inner pocket from his blazer.

Pulling out a small card, he handed it to Leone, nothing on it except a number. "If you need anything, feel free to call me through that number. Only people I trust have that number." He added, a slight warning in his voice, "I mean, no prank calls or false alarms, please." The car ride was mostly amicable, well, to him anyway. Adalberto felt that it was a start of a good friendship. Anyone Giulia likes were trust worthy, after all.

Reaching Geld, Adalberto allowed his eyes to track the people still in the streets. Narrowing his eyes at how little people there were. Strange. It seemed like the civilians were equally wary of supers now. A funny thought.

Enrique set them near the diner and went to locate somewhere to park. "Come on, Leone. Let's have some dinner and some pie, this place has great pie. Have I mentioned the great pie? And oh, that cutie at the diner is cute too," he added as they walked towards the diner, rambling, partly in pain. "I--" he stopped as they neared the diner, sounds of gunshots were heard. While Adalberto was no hero, he wasn't going to stop and not snoop. He was a busybody. He stayed alive by being a busybody. He made money by being a busybody. This was also the reason he got shot, but still, curiosity did kill the cat. Hopefully, not him though.

Looking back to his companion, Adalberto gave a wide grin and led them towards the area where the sound came from. Reaching the alley where he suspected it came from, Adalberto's eyes widened at the sight of bullets frozen midair. His face was giving an image of a child when Natale, Christmas, coming early. He was pleasantly amazed to see it was that adorable teen from the diner, who from his angle, curled his hand and snapped it back. The bullets turned and found it's mark on the shooter. A beautiful hit on the neck.

"È fantastico!" Adalberto cried, after his moment of disbelief, a slightly manic grin on his face. "That's just, just," he stuttered for awhile, trying to find his words. He turned to Leone. "Wasn't that just!" Just what, no one knows. He approached and turned to the group, realising that there were more than one body lying around there.

And just as quickly, Adalberto deflated with a harsh huff. Kneading his forehead, Adalberto ignored his shoulder pain. "Okay, I'm once again in somewhere there are bodies to be disposed."

He turned to Leone with a sigh. "I'm starting to not like this city, Leone." He told his companion. Looking at Dashielle then to the two supers, Adalberto narrowed his eyes. "I hope the two of you realise that what your doing isn't any different from the villains." He commented, voice carefully blank as he surveyed the scene, taking the scuffle and the harried forms of the supers (mostly, Dashielle). He could fill in the blanks of what happened despite not hearing the story yet.

"I hope you realise that the civilians can handle only so much death before they all call for your head." Giving the two masked crusaders a dark smile, Adalberto waved his hand as if to say TA-DA. "The fine line between Villains and Heroes, I think it's been crossed already." He warned, knowing that by the form, these supers were young. Perhaps, it was time for these kids to go home and rethink this entire thing.

Smiling more softly, he turned to Dashielle. "Bambino, are you well?" he asked, making no move to walk forward, just in case the other two supers decide to attack him instead. He hoped not, his shoulder really hurt already, and two more bodies were hard to hide. "Would you like me to come over and help?" He asked, his voice calm and soothing, the voice he reserved to the children who were abused. Adalberto noticed that Enrique came running, a worried expression on his face. Maybe dinner tonight wasn't such a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were about to leave with our ill-gotten evidence when I heard a shot ring out. I looked over and saw Sun go down.

I'm durable, but I'm not bulletproof! I unleashed a flurry of ice and snow around me and skated off. It was a setup, or a double cross. Either way, someone dropped the dime on us, and I wasn't about to stick around to find out who.

My first instinct was to go back to the 'hideout' but that might have been a part of the plan, so I circle around for a bit, to make sure I wasn't being tailed.

Then, and only then did I go back to the bell tower. No sign of Sun, and all of his stuff was here. So, I gathered it all up and headed home for the night. I'd have a think about it tomorrow, with a fresh mind.

• Thank You
A sharp glare was casted in the direction of the mafioso as the word friend dripped from his lips once more, though a sigh of resignation soon escaped him. какого черта... Mafia talk continued, though the underling was smart about being wary of Leone's listening. However, messing around with mafia affairs was hardly on his to-do list. His appetite wasn't exactly the strongest. He ate until he was full, noting Adalberto's advice about Giulia's methods.

When Bruno left and Adalberto led him over to the desk with information on Cryo Corp, he was quick to begin going through the paperwork. He found that most were copies of the papers that he had amassed, though some presented some new information. He began to suspect that he had been gathering information with too fine of a focus. The scale of information here was certainly providing various connections. Of course, this gathering of information wasn't the work of a single person. No, this was the work of various people all finding minor details and compiling them. Leone knew that he didn't have the resources to gather information like this.

A soft nod was all he gave in response to heading home later. He needed all the time he could get to look over everything. He was nearly three quarters through it when his eyes began to grow heavy despite all of his staying awake tactics. He fell asleep with a paper in his hand, slumped back in the chair with a soft frown on his face. A loud voice brought him out of his cat nap, a voice that was pretty hard not to recognize after all the talking he'd done so far today. "Ládno..." He muttered sleepily in response to the diner suggestion he'd woken up to. Там я будет покупаю чай...

He was greatful for the help up, his leg was killing him. But Giulia going off in Italian was what startled Leone into action. He hurried out behind Adalberto, snagging his briefcase on the way out. "Spasíbo bolʹšóje!" He called over his shoulder to the woman, before hustling along beside the Italian man. His sharp gaze looked over the panting man when they reached the front doors of the mansion. "I can be pretty quick when the motivation strikes me." He allowed a small smile to cross his face with his little winded joke. He carefully got into the car, his leg giving all the protest it could to the action.

He was only half listening as Adalberto prattled on about Messina and his business in America. He couldn't help wondering what his reasoning was for telling him all this. It didn't make sense for him to share any of this information. He gave his full attention to the mafioso when he was given a calling card and a warning. They soon arrived in Geld, talk returning focus to the diner when they got out of the car.

Gun shots rang out, causing the two to pause in their one-sided conversation. While Leone was considering turning around and going the other way, the grin that Adalberto had on his face was not in the least comforting. Этот парень собирается получить сам убит. He trailed along behind the mafioso, silently hoping that they weren't walking to their deaths or trying to get shot for the second time that day.

They came to a halt outside an alleyway, and language suddenly did not become a barrier when Adalberto stared in amazement at the murder scene before him. Leone remained his carefully neutral, silent self as he observed the somewhat tired looking group before them. Floating bullets being manipulated by some half beaten guy on the ground were just as deadly as bullets being shot by anyone else, and going for thirds this week would probably be the death of him. He just hoped that no bullets would come his way because his bad leg was slowing him down enough as it was. Trying to dodge a bullet in this proximity wasn't a good idea.

What caught the Russian off guard was an important message came from the mafioso. The ones dressed for the part of heroes looked to be too young to be causing scenes like this. These kids, they probably just managed to get through this fight. Unless luck was constantly on their side, it wouldn't surprise him if he heard about a couple of empowered teens getting killed in a fight that was over their heads in the near future. And that didn't really settle well with him.

"Unless you have the proper amount of training, you should not be running around like this. Whatever role you intend on playing, you must learn how to defend yourself and others without resorting to the ultimate end." His Russian accent came out strong and true as he spoke to the younger empowered individuals, his voice serving as a colder edge to what Adalberto had spoken about.

Sparing a glance at the aforementioned mafioso, Leone turned to leave. "I've had a long day. I think I'll just head back to my place. See you around, friend." His words were a bit quieter now that he'd spoken his mind. The word friend felt a bit weird coming out of his mouth. His limp was a bit obvious as he began to make his way down the street. The diner wasn't too far from his apartment, so walking back wasn't a horribly bad thought.

Emilie:

Emilie's eyes were irresistibly drawn to the corpse at her feet.

I...just...killed a m--

"You stupid whore!" The voice rang out, followed by a cry to 'Look out!'. Emilie looked up just in time to see a gun pointed at her head. The barrel flashed in the darkness, its report making her ears ring. Astonishment--that she was seeing and hearing the gunshot at all instead of just being dead. Then, a greater surprise: the bullet was floating in front of her face, still spinning from the gun barrel's rifling, with eerie wisps of silvery light dancing around it. Wha? The gunman was looking at her in terror, as if she had just casually stopped his bullet in the air. Did I? A brief thought that Mr. Deep Voice wouldn't get to make fun of her for her cards anymore, when she saw, partially concealed by the gunman, more of the mystic fire--flickering around the outstretched hand of the young man she'd come to save! With a flick of his wrist, the bullet sated its blood lust on its own master.

"È fantastico!" Emilie whirled to see a pair of newcomers of the very sort that no one wants to meet in a dark alley. The smaller of the two was grinning wide--either maniacally, or with the joy of a child on Christmas morning, Emilie couldn't tell in the feeble light. "Okay, I'm once again in somewhere there are bodies to be disposed." He said it so calmly, so matter-of-fact in a silky Italian-Romeo accent that Emilie had no doubt that scenes of violence and death were just another day, another dollar to him. And he'd have no shortage of dollars either, if his suit was anything to go by. In an instant she knew he was not just some Mafia thug. He was the Boss.

Emilie had no answer when he started to lecture her about being no better than the villains. Even Mr. Deep Voice didn't seem to have any plucky comments about musical instruments handy. "Bambino, are you well? Would you like me to come over and help?" he asked. The don's interest in the young man snapped Emilie out of her shock. A memory of three cards flashed in her mind, and sudden understanding struck. She rushed over to the victim. She made sure to keep some of her cards flying in a cyclone between herself and the Mafia don, using their fluttering motion to conceal a couple decks poised to strike if either man went for a gun. She didn't really expect it though. The don was so smooth, so in control, that he didn't need to wave a gun around to assert himself. The King of Pentacles, Reversed.

She crouched beside the young man, keeping an eye on the other two just in case. "Are you alright? Is anything broken?" Even beaten and bruised, he was so dreamy her heart skipped a beat. He looked shocked and frightened, but his fear didn't seem to be directed at the don, or even her and Mr. Deep Voice. In his presence, Emilie somehow just knew: he was a gentle dreamer being called into a realm of action unsuited to his inner nature. The Knight of Cups.

"Can I walk you home, or help you get to a hospital?" A pause, to choose her next words carefully. "I know someone who can help you, someone who helps superheroes. He can help keep you safe," she said in a low voice. Emilie had considered using 'they' instead of the male pronoun, but decided against it. The male was the default, the assumed norm. A generic pronoun would highlight that the norm not applicable, conveying information to the don as surely as using 'she.' Besides, Miss Fox did have her male disguise... Somehow, the thought of Miss Fox was comforting, like having a real-life Fairy Godmother. The Empress. Emilie hoped the sense of comfort and safety Miss Fox gave her was coming across to the young man.

The King of Pentacles, Reversed; the Knight of Cups; the Empress. Those three cards had shown up in a reading she'd done for herself a while ago, with the Knight positioned between the other two, indicating a tension. She'd felt a palpable importance to that part of the reading, but it hadn't made sense until now.

Sirens in the distance, getting closer.

"Come on, we need to go. There isn't much time."

1l01LZr.png

[Ivy Grace Little]
Alley Cat had seen the entire exchange between the brutish men and the card girl, the musical pun guy and then the two new entrances. She had wished she'd gotten their earlier so as to join the fight, but right after she heard the ascending clap of noise, she'd witnessed a pick pocket targeting an inebriated old woman so she couldn't bring herself to ignore her soon to be plight.

"Damn." Alley grumbled as she watched the card girl run to assist the victim, a wall of card separating her from the smartly dressed newcomer. She frowned, confused. The new guy didn't look like he wanted to hurt the injured guy but by the way the girl was acting, looks weren't everything. Alley Cat thought about departing and trying to find another problem to solve but she paused. She'd never met another hero before. Well she had, but she'd never attempted to talk to them before. She knew about Black Flag and Vixen, and only spoke to the latter on occasion. She'd never tried to make friends but now in front of her was another hero, two to be exact maybe four depending on the alignments of the smart dresser and the limping man.

Sirens sounded off nearby and the group began to disperse with the girl urging the injured man to leave with her. Alley Cat saw her chance disappearing as the authorities approached and a thought suddenly occurred to her. It didn't seem like they were getting out of there anytime soon, and Alley Cat was well aware of the 'helpfulness' of pigs. A black boy plus total carnage equaled a field day for law enforcement. Even if their was no evidence if the cop was crooked enough they'd do anything to bring him in. Even though technically the equation was correct, the kid was a hero trying to help someone in need and he didn't deserve to be punished.

Using shadow travel, Alley Cat located the steadily approaching police cars and used her shadows to create a barrier around them. The cops stopped immediately and cautiously got out of their vehicles.

"What in the hell?" Officer 1 exclaimed approaching the wall cautiously, gun in hand. Alley Cat traveled back to the scene and used her shadows to form words on the ground.

Sorry for being late to the party, but I've bought y'all some time. Get outta here before the pigs start sniffin' round. Especially you wordplay boy, go on home before you get in some deep shit.

A part of Alley Cat withered inside as she sent the message. She wanted to meet other heroes, she really did. But her shyness was keeping her from it. Maybe next time...

@Merlin @Mysty @AshenAngel @Zarko Straadi @Boss Megu

✦ d a s h i e l l ✦
interactions : Emilie @Zarko Straadi, Earl @Merlin, Adalberto @Boss Megu, Leone @AshenAngel
Everything was happening at once. He had managed to go from a victim, to a magician, to a god damn murderer in the span of a few minutes. The only thing to snap him out of his wide-eyed, terrified trance was the voice of a familiar stranger, a smooth Italian accent coming from the mouth of the alleyway.

"È fantastico!"

Slowly, he managed to pry his eyes (that were slowly dying from a silver light back to their soft brown color) from the dead body to Adalberto. He somehow managed to be excited about all this, as if Dashiell hadn't just taken a life. He could only gawk as he rambled on, slowly going from excitement to what Dash labeled as annoyance, watching as he gestured to the other two dead bodies. He couldn't help but follow the gesture, just staring at the other two dead bodies with a shocked expression. This had turned out so, so bad. If he knew he would've gotten two other people sucked into his trouble he would've just taken the beatings. Sure, he would've had to limp home, but he didn't want all this. He doubted they had wanted to kill as much as he did, of course, he was thankful, but the guilt tugged at his mind with a heavy pull. He swallowed hard when he had been addressed, looking up again when Adalberto had addressed him.

"I think I'm okay," he said, his voice doing an awkward crack as he realized how pathetic he probably looked right now. Even in his state he managed a small smile as the other showed concern, but as he glanced back at the bodies, the smile faded; and the initial shock began to fade.

"Oh my god, oh my god I just killed someone," Dash suddenly squawked, pressing himself back against the wall in his little mini panic attack. He only could dwell on it for a few seconds, however, when a heavily Russian accent traveled over the alleyway. He was pretty sure he recognized him, but in the dim light he could barely tell, just listening as the man scolded the supers, only to walk-- er, limp, away after murmuring something to the Italian that he didn't quite pick up.

"Are you alright?," came the voice of a girl, and he looked up when he girl crouched beside him. The first vigilante, the poor girl almost suffered greatly because he couldn't hold his own in a fight. Another pang of guilt, Dash just nodded.

"Yeah, I think I'm okay-- bruised, but okay," Dash said with a small, crooked smile, and then added a soft but sweet, "thank you." He couldn't tell as of now, the adrenaline of what had just happened numbing him, but he was pretty sure his rib was bruised. His hand might've been broken as well, having been crushed under the boot of one of the thugs, but he'd manage. It definently could've been a lot worse, whether the fight ended with a knife in the side, or left in the alleyway with broken legs until someone came by the next morning. He was lucky to get out with only a couple of bruises and cuts.

"I think I can manage to walk home, my apartment is only a few blocks.. " He had started to say to her, only to blink owlishly when she had started to talk about help for someone like him. He didn't know how to take it, exactly. The fact she called him a superhero? He doubted he'd stretch the title that far. 'Panicked boy with magical, spooky powers' fit better than 'superhero', but he doubted that was the point. He wanted to argue, say he didn't need the protection because he was far from a superhero, but instead, he just gave her a small nod in response. Besides, the way she had nearly whispered it to him, he doubted that they were supposed to have a full blown conversation about it right now. "You're right, let's go," he murmured, looking to the direction the sirens had come from, before sitting up with a flinch and a pained breath, dusting off the once white button up before he held his non-injured hand out to the mysterious card girl to help her up.

His eyes went a little wide when a message played out shadows across the dimly lit cement; honestly, why did that even catch him off guard? After everything that happened tonight, that was probably the least bit terrifying, but it didn't stop him from taking a small step back as the shadows danced on the ground near his feet. He looked across the rooftops as if he expected to see someone, but in the dim light, he could only make out silhouettes of the awnings.

• Love
Reactions: AshenAngel
Two men dead, One killed by a girl who has no idea what she's doing or in Sonorous's eyes at least. What man would have thought their life would end by the use of a paper card? The other man lost his life to the boy he beat, Killed with his own bullet. The victim reached out and somehow stop the bullet in mid-air and turned it on the attacker. Sonorous's opponent was the only one to survive just left with a serious head wound and a bloody face. He would remember this night, The night his random act of violence caused his friends their lives.

Sonorous looked at the boy and girl, No words for them. What happen was in self-defense but sill managed to upset him. He himself never would take a life and hope he would never be pushed so far to do so. He walked into a freak show tonight, A girl who could control cards and a boy who was able to stop a bullet in emotion. What else was he capable off? Then two men appeared at the end of the alley unnerved by the bodies on the ground. One man, A smooth Italian saw the kids for the wannabe superheroes they were. Sonorous knew a professional would not have let things escalate this far. Still Sonorous didn't take kindly to being compared to some villain. "It's nothing like that buddy, These scumbags brought it on themselves..." He then turned to the boy and girl behind him. "Even if some people took it too far." Sonorous saw the regret on their faces, These guys probably had families of their own and now they were gone forever.

As the Italian man continued to speak Sonorous realized this man was no stranger to death. This seemed to be a regular thing to this man and the evil grin on his face sent chills up Sonorous spine. After he finished talking to the girl and him he then addresses the boy. He spoke in a patronizing manner as if he was speaking with a child. Thing like that just ticks Sonorous off, In and out of costume. "Do you really have to talk to him like that? Show the guy some damn respect." Sonorous rudely pointed out. The man's companion, Who spoke with a thick Russian accent seemed to have some words of wisdom of his own. He spoke of never resorting to the ultimate end which Sonorous agreed on. The man then left as quickly as he came. He said his goodbyes to his friend and walked away probably not wanting to get involved in this mess. He was smart, The cops could arrive any minute.

The girl was now helping the boy who was attacked up, Asking if he needs her walk him home or make sure he gets to the hospital. While they spoke far down the street, Sonorous could hear sirens approaching quick. If he's caught in the middle of this the cops might really start cracking down on him. Can't have a possible murderer running around Geld, Now could they? Sonorous then watched as a message written in shadow, Another unwanted guest in his opinion. The message advised the group to make their escape while the 'pigs' were kept back. Sonorous was thankful for this but he didn't appreciate the remark. "Thanks, Who ever you are, I owe you one." He said still using a deep voice. "But don't go barking orders around like that. I'll go home when I feel like it, The night is still young and crime still out there somewhere." He replied with his arms raised as he backed up.

Before he made his leave he needed to address one person, The girl he came to save and who thinks she's a hero. "You, Dame with cards. I suggest you get him home quick and throw the costume in the trash or something. You aren't ready for this life and next time you might end up with a bullet in you. Somebody won't be around to save you next time. I just want you to consider that before going on with this." He told her being as direct as possible not caring much for her feeling. She could really die doing this and didn't think many girls were cut out for this life. He didn't want to see her in the paper one day dead.

Sonorous then eyed the smooth Italian, He most of all made him feel uneasy and caught his interest. He was no stranger to death was probably the type to enjoy killing others. Sonorous just made sure to take good long look at his face so he'll remember his face the next time he saw him. He then turned his back to them propelled himself onto a rooftop leaving behind his signature boom. He ran off into the night hoping the person in the shadow wasn't following him. It would be like he would be able to tell, Their power must be to control darkness or something like that.

Sonorous decided he would portal for another hour and make sure no one else is getting jumped by some assholes having a bad night.

Last edited:
Tarot:

Somehow, the young man she'd just helped save put so much into a simple 'thank you' that he made it all worth it. Then Mr. Deep Voice had to show up with a wet blanket:

"You, Dame with cards. I suggest you get him home quick and throw the costume in the trash or something. You aren't ready for this life and next time you might end up with a bullet in you. Somebody won't be around to save you next time. I just want you to consider that before going on with this."

Tarot turned to scowl at him from behind her mask. "So you've got another power that makes everything you do perfect? That must be nice," she snapped, then he was literally off like a shot. Can't help but notice you only picked on the girl. "Come on, let's go," she said, leading Dashiell away. The sooner they got clear of the Mob boss and his heavy, the better. As they moved, Tarot fluttered some of her cards up over the rooftops, flying them back and forth to--hopefully--find anyone following her by feel. Every now and then she'd also float a line of them low to the ground across the alleyways behind them to act as a tripwire. So far as she could tell, they weren't being followed, but with powered individuals in the mix, how could she be sure?

Once they reached Dashiell's apartment, she set up a perimeter of tripwires and checked again for followers. "If you could get me a piece of paper and a pencil, I'll write down that address for you." Once she'd been provided with them, she wrote down the address of Veronica's office. "Ask to speak to Rex Caofino. He works for a superhero named Vixen. They're good people, and they can help keep you safe. I'm Tarot, by the way," she said, offering him her hand. "It's very nice to meet you. Do you have a superhero name yet?"

• Thank You
Setting
10/30/1948
Morning, Saturday, Windy, Clear skies, and cool weather.
Time: Sometime after 3:00pm

3 Months flashed by in Geld City, July to October just like that. The scolding heat had retreated till next year and replaced with mild and cool days and chilly nights. Geld is still the same city but now preparing for Halloween. Most people had embraced this had put up decorations and made costumes for the coming festivities. Tomorrow is Halloween, The holiday where children dress up and roam cities and towns across America in search of sweet candy and maybe a scare. That is just tomorrow and not today, Today is just another Saturday morning in Geld City and mischief as always is afoot.

If you're wondering what happen to Slippy and his scheme then you'll be happy to hear that he lost. The heroes of Geld(Boys in blue included) stopped the riots. After the riots end, Slippy had got out of town as quick as possible. The rioters had ruined parts of the city. Houses and stores had been sacked and the list of reported stolen possessions could wrap Geld. In the 3 months that went by Geld was able to recover for the most part. Lives were ruined and lost in this event.​

Last edited:

[Albert Manfred: AKA 'Horseman'. Location: The Clank Garage].

It was a garage like any other. Set to cater to the mechanical needs of the people who walked in or in many cases, towed in their vehicles. And he? He was just another mechanic working for it. He did good work, he hardly spoke and he did, the faint traces of German would linger and with the current sentiment from the fallout of the war? It was little wonder that he didn't talk. He had no wish to cause trouble, nor to affect anyone around him with it. These were good people here, good friends with hands that knew the soul of the machine and responded accordingly.

But if there was anything the mechanic known to the world as Alfred Manfred couldn't stand?

It was the crossword and he muttered a curse in German as he folded the paper, scowling at it to the amusement of others.

The shift was almost over. The work was done and Halloween, the night of ghosts and goblins would come about soon. Yet another night to attempt to make it as safe as possible. For however long that'd be. He chuckled almost to himself, lighting a cigarette with a blow torch before puffing away. He lived for little moments like these.

....More or less.​

Status
Not open for further replies.