The Girl Who Knows Nothing

She was still in shock for a couple moments after she was pushed away from the oncoming truck. She had fallen down when Lark pushed her out of the way and was now just staring at the spot she had been standing at which now held the middle of the truck. She shook her head to snap herself out of the shock a once his first question registered to her momentarily slow-moving mind. She slowly nodded, "Yeah... I think so."

She blinked and finally looked over to Lark, "Uh, what? Oh, my name, right." At this she but her lip and glanced away, her name? She thought for a moment, They had mostly just called her Honey like most parents did, right? Did most parents call their child Honey or other names like that? Actual names were only used when you meet new people she thought and since she hasn't met anyone new in a long time... "Um... They usually just call me Honey, like parents do, right?" ​She said/asked, voicing her slight concern.

Lark smiled, relieved. <b>"Well, at least we're both okay."</b> Perhaps he shouldn't have spoken of cars so blithely, especially when she'd never seen any before. <b>"Just-- be careful, all right? Cars can be dangerous, especially if you happen to step into the road. People can get badly hurt."</b> <i>Or killed, but it's not my job to scare people.</i>

He nodded, thoughtful. <b>"Honey? I guess. I got called that when I was little, but once I stopped being a cute little kid and started being a stupid teenager they just started calling me Lark."</b> He laughed. <b>"Or, if they were really angry, Lark Cadence West or Young Man, Get Back Here Right Now."</b> Though he joked about it now, those had been some of the more miserable years of his life. Perhaps it would have just been easier to go to medical school after all...

He shook his head. <b>"Well, did they never call you anything else? I guess that's your name, then?"</b> He winked. <b>"Kind of a cute name, when you think about it."</b>

Honey nodded, now understanding the concept of cars a little better although she was still a little confused. So, cars were dangerous but also safe? She realized that it would probably be best for her to just avoid them... For now, at least until she was more accustomed to being out of the house. There was a lot of things that she should probably avoid out here, but that didn't mean that she would, she was too curious to do that.

She ccocked her head to the dude curiously but had a small smile on her face, she let out a short laugh, "Those are kind of some strange names." She told him, referring to Young Man and Get Back Here Right Now. Theyalso dodnt seem bery nice eother but maybe that was how it was like at other houses. She then thought about the other name, Lark Cadence West. "Wait, so do most people have a long or more than one name?" She asked curiously, "They would usually just call me Honey or Sweetie sometimes. Is that weird?"

She giggled slightly at his wink, "Not really, at least, not a name like your's. And um, thank you. I like your name too." She told him with a smile then stood back up and brushed off her clothes.

Lark laughed. "Oh, yeah. The angrier they are, the longer your name gets." He shrugged. "Maybe just my family was that way, though I know one of my friends had to sit through being called John Ezekiel Remington the Fourth. But his mother was totally crazy," he said, laughing as he remembered.

"Well, almost everyone has a first and last name, like Lark West," he said, scratching his head. "And some people have middle names, like Cadence. Some people's names are even longer. It gets crazy."

He shrugged. "I guess it's not really common to just be called Honey or Sweetie. But nothing about you is really very common either," he said with a grin. "Usually when people talk to their families, though, it's just their first name, like Lark for me. Unless they're trying ot have a 'serious talk'. I hate those the most."

Honey's eyebrows furrowed in thought, she had never gotten in trouble before so that must be why she had such a short name. Lark's friend must have really gotten in a lot of trouble to have such a long name like that though. She wasn't sure how his mother could be crazy though. She remembers her mother talking about her mom and saying that she was crazy but those were different circumstances, she would always tell her.

When he started talking about how everyone has a first and last name, except for her, she felt… odd, different, like she was alone even though she was around a lot of other people. She looked down at the ground sadly, "S-so there's no one else like me? Everyone else grew up alike but me. I'm… really… weird." She said, feeling her eyes begin to water. She wrapped her arms around herself tightly.

Lark looked at Honey, startled, as she spoke. <b>"Ah-- no, that's not..."</b> He hesitated, unsure of how to comfort her. <b>"There are lots of people who don't have last names, for one reason or another. Some of them don't know who their parents are, and some people even change their names, too. It's not such a rare thing."</b> <i>Though most people do have full names, that's not exactly something that I should say; she seems really upset.</i>

He paused, realizing he was rambling. <b>"Uh, well, what I mean is that you're not the only one."</b> He grinned. <b>"And though you might be weird, it's definitely in a good way!"</> After a moment's thought, he confided, <b>"You know, I got teased a lot because of my name-- it's pretty weird, too. Lark is usually a girl's name, and kids will be kids, huh? I had to deal with some of that nonsense."</b>

Her arms dropped at her sides and Honey looked back up at Lark sadly, her eyes still wet and to the brim with tears but only very few fell. "I-it's not just my name, it everything about me. I'm not meant to be out here. I should be back at the house, still not knowing about everything out here." She felt a pang in her stomach at this thought, she didn't wish she had never gotten out, she did't wish that for the world but she also felt guilt for leaving. She wasn't meant for the outside world, she wasn't raised for it and she certainly wasn't prepared for it. There were too many things wrong with her.

"I act weird, my name is weird, I look weird, my parents are weird, my past is weird, I speak weird… I'm just really weird."
She told him. She wasn't quite sure why she was acting so… so… emotional. She never used to cry like this or react like this to a new situation but right then, she just wanted to be. Maybe it was the stress of almost being killed, maybe it was the void her adrenalin had left behind when it left her system or maybe it was just the culture shock of the outside world but she was an emotionally wreck for little to no good reason.

Lark's eyes widened. <b>"Uh-"</b> He'd never been very good at dealing with situations like this; he'd even lost a few friends for saying insensitive things during high school, so how was he supposed to respond to this?

After a second of thought, he put a hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort her. <b>"Hey, you're not that weird. There are lots of crazy people out there, huh? And..."</b> He paused, then continued, regardless. <b>"You don't really want to go back and just be stuck in that house, right? The world can be scary and worrisome, but there's lots of good stuff in it too."</b> He winked. <b>"So don't worry! I'll take care of you while you're out here."</b>

Honey's eyes were still watering but she offered him a half-hearted smile then shook her head. ​"No, i don't want to go back but… I don't know, I feel kind of guilty just leaving- but that doesn't mean I want to head back anytime soon." She quickly added. ​"I guess you're right… I got to meet you after all." She said brightly and wiped some of the tears out of her eyes.

When he mentioned that he would care for her while she was out her smile widened and her eyes were full of hope. "You will? Thank you!" She cried then almost tackled him into a hug. She was definitely glad she had been able to meet Lark, he was so kind and she wanted to spend as much time with him as she could. He was smart, nice and would even take care of her sine she has no idea about anything out here.

She then pulled back slightly when her stomach growled a little. She blushed a little and looked away in embarrassment, "Oh, sorry…" She wasn't used to her stomach just growling like that.

Lark nodded, listening. <b>"Yeah-- I just don't really worry about stuff like that. I can't change it, so I just do whatever I want."</b> He laughed. <b>"I guess you're probably more responsible than I am, though."</b>

He staggered as she tackled him, laughing. She was more spontaneous than anyone he'd ever known, and that was saying a lot given some of his friends. He grinned as her stomach growled, then shrugged. <b>"Time to eat, then! Let's hurry to the restaurant; it's pretty close."</b> He pointed to the sign, now just a few storefronts down.

As they reached the restaurant, he pushed open the door, revealing a cozy-looking space with plants at every corner. <b>"Dinner for two, please,"</b> he told the waitress.

Honey's grin widened he mentioned the restaurant being close by both because she was hungry and excited abut seeing an actual restaurant. When they entered she looked all around it with wide eyes, trying to take in everything about it. She even saw a couple of other people eating there too. She bit her lip, suddenly a little nervous and shy about being around so many other people so she stayed close by Lark's side. Her attention was brought back to what was in front of her when Lark said something to a woman who was standing in the front behind a tall desk.

While they were being led away, further inside the building she turned to Lark as quietly asked, "Who is she?" It seemed like he knew her, unless this was one of those times that you talk to strangers. He also said that he comes here a lot and this woman looked like she knew her way around very well so she must be here a lot too.