The Girl, the Yokai, and the Promise

Yukina played with her pencil as she thought about the next question. Come to think of it, Kazuma would be an expert on these kind of things, making him the prefect teacher. This made her think: just how old was Kazuma? Yokai were known to live for thousands of years and the temple has been there since the feudal era. He seemed like he was in this early twenties at least but he had to be older. She looked up at him. How did aging work with yokai? Would he live longer than her? She remembered when she was little, he looked almost the same age as her if not older. She drifted off, day dreaming about herself as an old woman with young Kazuma teasing her like he use to. A few minutes pasted and she realized that she had been staring at him the entire time. She blinked a few time, returning to reality, and quickly went back to her paper.

It was almost lunch time and most of the students were either finished with their question sheet and working on the packet or close to finished. Some whispered in the back, asking each what they are doing for lunch.....

After having their papers passed out and his students working on them, he would walk over to his new chair and take a sea. Glancing at them before pulling a cube puzzle out of his pocket and started to play with it, it was easy to see he wasn't being serious though he was easily making headway with the human invention. Looking up, he noticed that Yukina was staring at him and he gave her a small smile before going back to his puzzle in order for him to have something to do. No matter how much the wolf loved to laze around he couldn't very well do it as a teacher and especially in front of his students, that would set a bad example and no doubt they would bring it up. About five minutes in, he finished the cub and placed it on his desk then secretly made a small bag appeared where he pulled out a sketch book and a metal case of colored pencils.

As time passed and lunch was imminent, he was already halfway done with his drawing of a mountain side covered in sakura cherry blossoms. He already had some color on a few of the trees, he just needed to finish up the mountain, draw a few more trees and as an added bonus, draw some blossom leaves being blown around by the wind.

The bell rang, signaling that it was time for lunch. Several students stood up and stretched, some were still looking over their papers. A few came up a turned their papers in before heading off to their to their respected eating places. It was open campus for lunch since the school was in a small town. Yukina didn't like eating out though. She enjoyed cooking and often would find any excuse to make food. She had finished her paper and add a little note for Kazuma on the bottom. Grabbing her bag, she headed up the front desk. She placed the paper down and stared at him for moment. She didn't say anything, but just glared at him for a moment. She moved her hand letting him see the note she wrote as she left for her usual eating spot.

'Meet me on the roof. Let no one see you.'

---------

It had warmed up a bit since this morning, but there was still a bit of a nip in the air. Yukina has been coming up to the roof to eat since she started to attend school here. No one came up here, due to how windy it could get. She didn't mind it though, usually finding a place to sit where the wind wouldn't be so bad. The howling wind blocked out much of the noise from the crowd below, making it very peaceful. The wind wasn't to bad today. She decided to sit against the chain link fence that surrounded the edge. Settling down, she pulled out her meal and gave her thanks and started to dig in, checking the door for her visitor.....

Once the bell rang, signaling that class was over and the students could leave to eat, Kazuma placed down the colored pencil he had been using. He nodded and thanked those that turned in their assessments before turning his attention to the other students. "For those of you who may have not finished, I'll give you twenty minutes at the beginning of class for you to. In order for you not to rush through the paper." The wolf smiled, the students who hadn't finished and nodded their heads with appreciative smiles before leaving the room. Placing the colored pencil back with the others, he could hear Yukina's footsteps and quickly shut his sketchbook before glancing up at her. Seeing how she wasn't saying anything, he turned his attention to her paper as she left then picked it up to read. "Out of all the things I should fear, Yukina when she's angry is truly something frightening." He mumbled.

Condensing the power the wolf needed, that allowed him to make everyone close by think he had just left the classroom to leave the school's grounds and get something to eat. While in reality, he was still in the classroom and had the winds conceal his presence from them before leaving, making sure to sidestep so he didn't bump into anyone and they thought they and hit something that wasn't there. Finally, he made it to the room and once he was through, he closed the door behind him and allowed the winds to lower and reveal himself. "Um...before you say anything or yell at me, I wanted to give you this." He said a cheerfully and also a bit shyly as he walked over to her. Then he offered her something large, gift wrapped, and in a box with a smiling face. "Once you open it you can yell, insult, lecture, or do whatever you want to me." The wolf added.

When and if she opened it, the box would contain the drawing he had finished of the mountainside orchard of sakura cherry blossoms. And standing underneath one of the trees was a small version of her looking up at them, though Kazuto would be nowhere in the picture. "What do you think?"

Yukina glanced up to him when he came over and offered her a gift. She put her food down and wiped her hands off on a handkerchief. Giving him a suspicious look, she took the present and started to unwrap it. She wasn't expecting the picture. She had seen him working on something during the class, but she wasn't expecting this. It was really beautiful. You could tell he had an eye for such things. Did he really make this? Her eyes traveled across the paper, examining each detail. She wasn't quite sure what emotion to show. She was mad of course. But it was such a nice present, and it made her really happy. Her ears burned, either from embarrassment or frustration, even Yukina wasn't for sure.

'It's really beautiful...." she said in a low voice. But she looked back up at him. "But I'm still mad at you. What were you thinking?"

Kazuma had an innocent look on his face as she looked at him and cocked his head slightly, no mischievous intent anywhere to be seen. It was obvious she'd still lecture him but he still wanted to give it to her just the same, that's the reason why he drew it in the first place. Silently, he stood there with a smile as she unwrapped the gift and then started looking over it and he shifted his weight from one foot to another. It was essentially an early birthday present since he wasn't sure if she still liked some of the old things she used to so as a safe bet he decided to just draw something and give it to her since she never told him the exact date of her birth. It seemed she did like it and he beamed happily as the winds calmed down slightly while also blocking out outside noise.

"Thank you." He replied, cheerfully, pleased to hear her praise his work. Then his smile died slightly, "Sorry, it thought it was a better option then just waiting around. This way I can better react to any problems and be at full strength to protect you."

She knew that was what he was going to say and knew exactly how to respond. "But a teacher? Why a teacher? Couldn't you be a janitor or something less so involved with the student body?" she squinted "Was it so you could watch the girl in the school uniforms.....pervert...." The uniforms at this school weren't very special. A simple white collared shirt with a navy blue skirt. Around the neck the girls were required to wear a red bow to match the boys red ties and everyone had to were the white loafers while in a academic building. Everything else was optional as long as it was in neutral colors or provided from the school. Yukina didn't were anything extra with her uniform. She wore a gray vest, which was provided by the school and black knee high stockings. She pulled her skirt down a little to make sure she was covered up. "After class today, I would have no doubt you could get anyone of them to fall for you...." she said wrapping the gift back up and putting it away. She picked up her food. "Could you at least wait to seduce them after school and I am far away. I worked hard this food and I do not wish to throw it up..."she said as she took another bite.....

"I-I'm sorry..." The wolf replied, lowering his gaze down to see feet, he had never considered making himself a janitor and it was good he didn't either. He wasn't too fond of cleaning up a mess made by others, he cleaned up after himself and that was it. Then hearing what she said caused him to look up at her with a frown and a somewhat pained expression. Is that what she really thought her reasons were, did she forget about who he had feelings for and that she and no one else held his heart? Even so, he didn't understand what she meant about watching girl's in their school uniform, he simply saw it as an article of clothing and had no motive or interest in looking. "It's nice to know you think so little of me, it shows how much you care." Kazuma mumbled, pretty sarcastically and also with some coldness mixed into there. "If you really think I have an interest in them even know you know my feelings, you really are a dummy and it really hurts that you see me in that light." He added as she picked up her food. Then he turned away and started walking back towards the door so he could leave. "If I have the urge to seduce someone I'll make sure you're long gone, enjoy your meal then Yukina. Just forget I ever confessed my love for you, it's abundantly clear that you can't return them and you see me as some type of pervert that would openly flirt with another girl when he's around the one he loves. We'll just start over as old friends who reunited and happens to also be protecting you, my one sided feelings won't be brought up anymore nor will they show. So you can live comfortably and have a somewhat normal high school life. " He said cheerfully, turning to face her with a grin that was obviously fake and the only thing to keep him from looking sad or even tearing up.

"After all, I want what is best for you.."

Yukina lowered her food as she watched him walk away. This wasn't what she expected. She thought her would laugh it off and give her a long winded speech about how his love for her would never die, or something like that. But instead he lashed out at her and....was he about to cry. Her body told her to apologize, tell him it was all a joke, but her mind told her to stay still. This was for the best, right? Rip the bandage off? If he continued to chased her like he was, then he was going to get his heart broken anyways. Why did she need to apologize for his feelings? She opened her mouth to say something but closed it and turned back to her food and continued to eat. This was how it was suppose to be. She decided a long time ago that she was going to be alone. It was better that way. She could feel the tears welling up, but she did her best to fight them back. Why was he so confusing to her? Every time she pushed, she felt bad about it. Why? It was never a problem before. Boys in school, visitors at the temple all of them were so easy to toss to the side......but he wasn't.....why?.....why?

Kazuma decided that his best course of action was to simply keep his feelings to himself and no longer tell anyone or even mention them. Then everything would be some what normal and protecting Yukina would be easier, if he focused on protecting her rather than what he felt for her. Turning away from the girl, he would once again allow the winds to conceal his presence before opening the door behind him and then closing it once he was through and walked down the stairs. Once he was a good distance away and no one was looking in his direction, he allowed himself to be see and started walking like he had just gotten back from eating as he put a hand into his pocket and pulled out a small sub. Being a 'almighty' yokai had its perks. He thought about going outside and sitting under a tree to eat, but the young man simply headed for his classroom to eat in solitude like usual, no matter how much he disliked eating alone. After arriving, he sat down in his chair and with his right hand, he would hold his sub while with other, he would use it to pick up the assessments that had been turn in and read them. "With this, I can make a better lesson plan." He would mumble before taking another bite.

Yukina lowered her food again. "Damn it! I've lost my appetite" she said, closing her bento box and putting it back into her bag. She pulled her legs to her chest and buried her face in them. Why? The question still rang in her head. Why does this hurt now? Love doesn't exist. It's an stupid emotion. This wasn't the first time a boy feel for her. She remembered during the first year of high school, there was this one boy who use to follow her around, give her gifts and stuff on holidays, but Yukina never showed that much interest. When he confessed, she shot him down quick. Since her parents divorced, she swore to herself that she would never let herself fall for something like that. There was just so much pain and lying and fighting that Yukina never saw the benefit of it. When she turned down boys, she always thought it was the smart thing to do and never felt guilty for it. But why did that all change with Kazuma? Did she love him? Well, she use to. Back when she was in middle school, she swore up and down that she was going to move back here and marry that boy. But when she did move back and he wasn't there, it drove that final nail into the coffin where her heart was. She shut down and swore never again. She thought she just made him up to deal with her parents fighting. To pretend that somewhere, someone cared for and wanted her. Again the question was; Does she love him? Maybe a little, some feelings still lingered, but fact was they had not spoken ten years. That was a long time ago and she had changed a lot. Sure, there was some things that reminded from her childhood, but she was almost an adult now. Yukina sank a little deeper in depression. Maybe she should really apologize to him. He was just trying to help after all. She squeezed her legs and a few tears rolled out.

"You're an idiot for falling in love with this idiot......" she muttered to herself and let out a big sigh.

-------------------------------

The bell rang again, notify students to returned to their classroom. Yukina made a pit stop at the bathroom. Making sure no one was around, she washed her face, hoping the swelling form her crying would go down. She was one of the last people to return to the classroom. She didn't even look at him, just quicked moved and sat down in her seat. She pulled out another notebook, one with her notes on warlords, and started to work on the packet. Since he was giving students sometime to finish the question sheet, she figured that it would be best to use this time to work on it........

Kazuma sighed, his sub tasted bland and even though he was hurry he just couldn't stand to eat anything so he simply tossed the half eaten piece of food into the trash. "I can't believe she actually said that..." He mumbled, his naturally brilliant and shining ,garnet, eyes dimming a little as he thought about it then shook himself out of it. Now wasn't the time for him to mope, even if she felt that way, he still needed to make this lesson plan and protect her, his own feelings didn't matter since Yukina's life was at stake. Finally, getting fed up with his work, the wolf slammed a fist down on the desk with a snarl before getting up from his chair and stalked over to the window with a growl. "It seems promises really don't mean anything anymore, especially if made between two 'kids'. Then I probbaly shouldn't mention that when my kind fall in love, it's for life." He leaned his head against the window, staring out into the town and catching the cars drive by and the birds happily tweet while flying around. No doubt she would have something to say or some type of reaction, or maybe she'd even ask him to stop protecting her and have of his fellow clansmen do it instead. Being in love sucks sometimes and it will also hurt you immensely if your feelings are not returned, but do not give up hope. When you find the one meant for you, you'll be able to barrel on through and reach their heart. His father's advice he had given to Kazuma and his young brothers rang in his head and the wolf nodded. His old man had a point but if he wanted to plant the seeds of affection in Yukina's heart, Kazuma really needed to go through with it in a more efficient way. There was also the possibility of him acting cold towards her but the thought was instantly burned, he couldn't treat her that way. Then she'd once again think she was without any friends and he couldn't do that to her.

Once the bell rang, Kazuma walked back over to his desk and sat down just as the students funneled back into the room. Smiling, he'd greet them before picking up his pencil once again to jot down in his lesson planner. When she walked in along with a few other last minute students, he didn't bother saying anything, the wolf blandly ignored Yukina's arrival. Right now he needed to act like a teacher and give his students the best teaching he could give and anyway, the time they could use to work on this assessment if it wasn't done or start working on their packets was ticking away. Might as well let them work in silence. A few of the girls would walk over to him, asking about once question or another and he would simply smile and explain it and they would thank him before sitting back down in their seats. If they wanted to seduce him, they could try but it would probbaly not work in the slightest.

The day moved pretty slowly from there. All the students turned in their sheets and Kazuma started his lesson. He did a fairly good job, considering that it was his first day. A few girls continued to flirt with him a little, but he would shrug them off. Yukina tried not to look at him too much during the lecture. She continued her doodles, half paying attention, half still struggling with whether she should apologize or not. She really should. he was protecting her after all. But what would she be apologizing for? She had completed a half a dozen hearts and flowers when the bell rang for school to end. The class president lead in the end of day bows. Yukina did them half-heartedly and hurried to grab her stuff. She had work today at the temple, so she needed to stop at home and drop things off before heading over. No bothering to stop and talk to Kazuma. She figured he would followed her soon after all the student were gone. How was he going to handle both protecting her and taking care of his teaching duties. She hoped that he didn't spend too much time there........

Yukina changed out of her shoes again and into her street shoes. She didn't stop to talk anyone, just left to go home.....

Teaching others was not something new to Kazuma, he was fairly used to teaching the young children of his clan so being a teacher for humans was not that tough in his book. They seemed to pay more attention and retained information better then the pups of his clan, all it seemed they wanted to do was fight, wrestle, sleep, eat, and get away from their lessons. The lesson was just basic entry information into the world of yokai that every lesson needed to go over and state what they would be learning, but he would make it more interesting by adding a few things the lesson planner hadn't told him to do. From his experience, the easiest way to keep his students' attention was to make the lesson exiting and interesting rather than teaching the normal way and boring them to sleep. If he was a student, the wolf would want the lessons to be exciting with information the textbook would hold out on them, plus it was also a bonus if you teacher happened to secretly be a yokai and knew more about the subject than any professor in the world. Once school was over and the students left, he tidied up his desk and slid the assessments into his suitcase to read for later before turning towards the board and making note that they would be choosing which topic of Japanese myth they would begin with. Then he signed a few papers before picking up his suitcase. "Well...today was fun." He mumbled.

Turning towards the door, he would sling the bag over his shoulder as he felt and turned down the hall for the exit. Kazuma would follow Yukina's presence though he would stay back and hidden to give the girl some space while also being in the prime position for an ambush. After leaving the school grounds and seeing that no one was around, he would turn off his teacher appearance along with any knowledge of him having to do with the school or being a teacher. He would look like a normal young man now with a jacket hanging from his shoulder.

Yukina dragged her feet on her way home. What was going on with her? She was doing just fine. She was going to finish high school and continue working and the temple and live her life in peace and quiet. There was no obstacles, no reason it should go wrong. Everything was going right for once in her life and then this.....her childhood sweetheart shows up after saving her from some monster that wants to eat her. And now he has watch over her so that more monsters. This was just a little much. And then Kazuma claiming he still loved her. Why? Why now? What took him so long? Where had he been? Yukina kicked a rock and let out a sigh. This sucks. She didn't mean for him to get mad. He probably wouldn't talk to her now. Just back to be old friends........

"What the hell is wrong with me?" she muttered to herself.......

Kazuma continued along his leisurely pace, no doubt Yukina was much happier now since she wouldn't have to worry about him acting flirty with her. While he would always feel the same way, he'd tone it down around her and to make the girl comfortable, act like they old friends while still being himself; as much as he could while keeping a crucial part of his personality from showing. Maybe if he had found her somewhere between those ten years, possibly the second or third, he could have had a chance with her. But fate didn't allow that to happen, for those years wars had started up quickly after she had left the shrine and his life. The last war which the ending was fought under Kazuma's leadership was also the one where he had lost both his father and two younger brothers to his foes. Without noticing, his pace had quickened by a degree.

"I should have been there for them, I should have realized it was a trap and not allowed them to go."
The wolf whispered, his eyes focused on the ground as he continued to walk and allowed his sensing of Yukina to lead him. "Then maybe they'd still be alive...I can't...I won't allow Yukina to have the same fate as them. I'll protect her and make sure she gets a normal and perfect life even if I have to lay down my own to achieve it."

'Don't lie to yourself. You know what you want and now you can't have it...'

Yukina stopped dead in her tracks as the voice echoed in her head. She whipped around, scanning the area for the person it came from. Squinting her eyes, she didn't find anyone. That was weird. Who was talking to her? It didn't sound like Kazuma. The voice was a woman's. She continued on her way, thinking that ut must have been her imagination.

'He hates you now. He doesn't love you..."

She stopped again. Where the hell was that voice coming from? She looked around again, seeing no one. "Hello?" she whispered, but there was no reply. She shook her head again. "I'm too stressed out, maybe a nice bath tonight will help me relax....." she said, rubbing her forehead. She continued to her apartment, quicken her pace......

Suddenly, Kazuma went from his quickened pace to a complete stop as he sensed a light presence and looked around to see if there was anyone out of the ordinary. He saw nothing, but that still did not sate the eerie feeling he was getting and his throat unleashed a throaty growl as he looked forward once again and his eyes widen. Yukina...she was alone and the presence seemed to be close to her. She was alone all because he was stupid and acted like a child just because of a few harsh words from the girl, though he knew she was that way now, it had still hurt to hear that she saw him that way.

"Damn it, I'm such a bloody fool, she's in a prime spot to be ambushed now!"

The winds instantly whipped around the man, turning his invisible from humans as he changed into his wolf form and pushed off with his hind legs to run in the direction of Yukina's apartment. "Come on, faster, faster!" He snarled, fueling more of the winds around and under his legs to increase his speed as he followed the girl's scent and dodged anything in his way. "I gotta make it in time, I swore to Yuki I'd protect her!"

Yukina had reached her apartment when she realized that her body felt a lot heavier then before. Opening gate and making it up the stairs proved to be a task. A headache was starting to develop now.

'You love him and you keep pushing him away. No wonder nobody wants you.'

She flipped opened her phone and called her uncle as she leaned on her apartment door. "Hey, Uncle, I am feeling very well and I don't think I will make over there today. I'm sorry." Her uncle told her to get some rest and get better soon. She shut her phone and pushed her way through the door. Stumbling in, she dropped her bag and staggered in the living room. The woman's voice was louder now, almost making her head numb.

'You'll die alone. You are nothing. He hates you and wants you dead.'

"No, stop please..." she said, sinking to the floor. She covered her ears, hoping to block it out. It didn't.

'He will leave you and you died slowly, being consumed your own nightmares'

"No...No, please..." she yelled, tears starting to stream from her face. Her vision was blurring and she was starting to fell faint. "Kazuma....help me, please...."

Finally, he through his caution to the wind and simply started to barrel into things, sending this way or that as he continued to run towards her apartment and put more on the gas since it was in view. Upon arrival, he changed back and quickly allowed the winds to show him once again as he raced into the apartment and climbed the steps while focusing on pinpointing Yukina by scent, her presence, and also the presence that seemed to be assaulting her. She really needed to live on high up floor didn't she, finally arriving on the floor her room was, he could tell it was five doors down and directly to his left. Skidding to a halt he tried to open the door but of course it was locked, "Sorry Yukina." He growled, pulling his fist back before sending it forward, causing it to crack and rip from its hinges. It flew off slightly and landed into a wall as the wolf entered the room as his tail and ears appeared while his canines and fingernails once again grew longer and sharper.

"Kazuma....help me, please...."

That would send a wave of rage through the wolf has his own demonic presence started to leak out and the air around the room whipped up in a furry and howled with delight upon tasting its master's presence. Making his way to the living room, he would see Yukina now on the floor and quickly went to her side, touching her face gently with his hand. "I'm here, Yuki, I'm here now." He whispered into her ear before pulling his mother away from her ear and his lips back in a snarl as he looked around the room and allowed his demonic presence to search out for her assailant. "I suggest you leave now before I tear you limb from limb." Then his attention stopped as it traced the wall and he looked at it with a sadistic grin. "There you are..."