The Gift of a Year (Peregrine x Lisianthus)

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
High fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by modern fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
The mansion was a spectacular sight.

Stepping out of the black car that had driven her from the airport to the manor, Lycanna's fingers lightly brushed against the red and green, holly pattered butterfly mask that banded around her face. Magic snow fell gracefully from the sky, beautiful flakes faintly glowing as they dusted across her long, platinum blonde hair, before vanishing into blue mist. Glittering holiday lights covered every window in the manor, reflecting off the fake frost and transforming the entire building into a shimmering fairy's palace.

Behind her, Lycanna heard the car's door click gently shut, and the faint noise of the tires rolling along the concrete driveway. Behind it, the next car in line pulled up to the door.

Like the rest of the guests invited to the Bancroft Manor, Lycanna had been brought here for 'The Gift of a Year', Louis Bancroft's annual holiday gift-giving event. For the past four years she had admired the videos and photography of the event after it had finished. Only this year had she finally gathered the courage to submit her name, more on a whim than out of any real expectation that she would get an invite.

Yet, here she stood, hair carefully curled and pulled into a graceful side-sweep, her one holiday dress, a long dress of crushed green velvet, collar, sleeves, and skirt lined in a frost style lace, neatly ironed and ready for the evening. A large, silver, red, and green pin in the shape of a holiday wreath glinted on her chest.

Momentarily feeling anxiety build within her, Lycanna's fingers unconsciously tightened around the carefully wrapped present cradled in her hands. She only noticed when the faint sound of crinkling wrapping paper reached her ears, instantly causing her to loosen her grip.

At the door, a neatly dressed man stepped forward, bowing politely. "Your belongings will be taken to your room within the hour," he said smoothly, proffering Lycanna a simple card with '150' emblazoned on it in golden, elevated script. "Please, enjoy the party."

"...Thank you," she finally managed, offering a slightly awkward smile from under the protection of her mask.

Then, with a slow, deep breath, Lycanna strode forward, moving deeper into the manor. She was here to relax, have a good time, hopefully make a new friend. She could only pray that Bancroft's careful preparations would ensure everything would go as planned.

That she'd find her gifting partner. That they would like the gift Lycanna had prepared. That they'd both make excellent memories, to carry them forward into the New Year.

That would be enough.

In contrast to the deep indigo box in her hands, Layla adorned herself in nothing but an off-shoulder, lilac princess-cut dress. The tulle dress was probably the best she had ever tried on, mayhap. It was long enough to trail, much to her delight, and the golden leaves embellishment upon the dress allowed her to go jewellery free, which she considered to be a huge bonus. Her black hair was tied neatly into a twisted bun, and she snapped on the white and gold mask before making her way out of her room, a little bounce in her steps as she searched for the event hall.

From the time she stepped foot in the manor, Layla was mostly holed up in her room, only going out once or twice to pick up some supplies she had ordered for the gift. Her days and nights were spent working on creating the perfect gift for her partner, along with the occasional meal breaks in between. One could say that she poured her blood and sweat into it, which made her nervous, and oddly excited. She pictured the face of her partner when they received the item, stroking the excitement within her.

Her steps quickened, the dress flowing with every move. She scanned the room as she entered the hall, eyes taking quick glances at the guests before settling upon the one who possessed the same pin as her.

"Ah!" Holding the gift in one hand, Layla quickly fished for the pin in her pocket as she walked towards the woman in green, a huge grin on her face, "Hi! You must be my partner. I totally forgot about my pin, but here!" Her voice was high and chirpy as she held out the pin. "It's the same pin, isn't it?"

Last edited:
  • This Gives Me Plot Bunnies
Reactions: Peregrine
It didn't take Lycanna long to find her partner. Or, rather, for her partner to find her. She'd only wandered the manor's halls for a few minutes when someone suddenly rushed in front of her, proffering something in her hand.

Unconsciously, Lycanna took a half step back, putting a bit of distance between herself and the new arrival. A moment later, and she smiled slightly. "Ah, uh, yes." The pin was, indeed, all but identical to her own. She'd seen lots of pins in the time she'd been wandering, and they'd all run the full gambit of holiday themed items, from snowflakes to flowers to candles to candy, each visually distinct from the rest.

Trying to force herself to relax, Lycanna nodded again. "Yes, it clearly is. It's really nice to meet you."

• Thank You
Reactions: Lisianthus
"Ah," Layla blinked rapidly, momentarily stunned by her partner's reaction, before her thoughts caught up. Understanding dawned upon her and she took two steps back as she pocketed the pin, recognising that her partner may not be as comfortable as she was when personal space was involved. "Sorry, force of habit." A sheepish smile appeared as she lightly scratched her neck. "I've been told I come off too strong a lot," her excitement tend to get the better of her, and she often acted upon it without thinking things through. "I am harmless though, I swear!" She held up a scout's salute as she let out a nervous laugh, nose scrunched as she cursed herself in her mind.

She cleared her throat lightly, and gestured around, "It's quite overwhelming, isn't it?" While glitz and glamour was part of her normal life for the idol, the same. cannot be said for others. Even she took awhile to adjust to the overlapping chatters, and the large number of guests during such events. "Do you wanna sit somewhere more quiet?" She spotted seats a little away from the crowd and she pointed her chin towards it as her hands now hugged the medium sized gift close to her.

"We can sit, exchange our gifts and most importantly, eat in peace." She cocked her head as she looked at the other woman, letting her make the decision that would be most comfortable for her. "Ah, right. I'm Layla, by the way. What's yours?"