Status
Not open for further replies.
[fieldbox="Xenon Zhu, red, solid"]Xenon's breath hitched lightly as Artisia hugged back. He had half a mind to call mercy when he felt his ribs constricting together from the stress of her hug, but chose not to in the end. It was a nice reminder that Artisia was still as strong as ever. This was only a minor setback; a tempering through the fire. Though, when she pulled back and began to talk again about putting together more strategies, he found himself at unease once again. I think I was half hoping that the whole thing would boil over after Rei's test, he realized.

Listening to Artisia talk again about dying let Xenon's less positive emotions bubble up and resurface again. But before the red haired teen could launch into the lecture that he had temporarily forgotten, Artisia kissed him lightly on the cheek. It was soft, and unassuming. But once he had registered that it had happened, the girl had already left his side to rejoin the group. Xenon instinctively reached up and brushed where her lips had been. Then he clenched his hand into a fist, expression once again unreadable. You're really not making this easy, are you? The teen sighed, dropped his hand, and forced it to lie flat.

Xenon made his way over to the rest of the group a little behind Artisia. The whole talk about killing another person... strangely didn't come as big of a shock as the red haired teen thought it would. Yes, he was still taken aback by Rei's blunt seriousness, but it wasn't as terribly shocking as it would have been a week or two ago. Power, as he had noted in battle, was unbiased. Just like how Kyousuke's accidental attacks during the battle had also hurt Tian Gui, a badly timed mana bolt would have done just as much damage to a teammate as it had to Rei, or another person.

And if Rei's forthright speech about the Abyss meant anything, it seemed like there was a high probability that the day that they had to fight other people wasn't far away.

While Rei spoke, Xenon glanced at Artisia every so often, gauging how she was taking the news. Surprisingly, she seemed to be taking it quite well. In fact, she looked almost... motivated. Which, did nothing to help his lecturing mind. Xenon (read: Xemom) was fully equipped to lecture three classes worth of Artisias' about leaping without looking. That also probably contributed to the hard stare that the red haired teen gave Rei when he pointedly looked at him while talking about sentimentality.

Still, as the other gamer continued to talk about the possibilities that came with the power, Xenon found himself getting more and more resolute in his decision making. Then, the "homework" paper was passed out. The teen made sure to look over it slowly. He really planned out a lot of this ahead of time, even though he seemed sure that we were going to lose before. The uncanny coincidence that they had, in fact, won against him didn't bode particularly well.

When Rei announced his leave, Xenon was about to speak out about that, when Artisia beat him to the punch. Many of the things she said echoed his thoughts, but what really stuck to him was how she finished her spiel. As he had expected, she wasn't deterred at all about the prospect of killing someone or anything else Rei had mentioned. Maybe it's the delinquent speaking, he internally chuckled. Once Artisia had finished speaking and resigned to sitting on the floor, Xenon approached Rei.

On the outside, he looked as calm as usual, but his voice was a touch deeper than normal when he spoke. "If you don't mind, can we talk in private for a little?"[/fieldbox]

Again, Rei explained many things about the system to the group. It was a lot to take in, especially the part about having to kill other people. While she could grasp that there were dangerous people out there, Shouko had a feeling that Rei was trying to scare them out of this. It wasn't sensible that she could be attacked all the time.

"Thanks for the info, Rei. Appreciate it, really," Shouko said before Xenon could lead him away. Artisia's words made her realize that the kid might not have their best intentions at heart. Shouko had to admit that the idea didn't really cross her mind.

Foolish. When had you become so trusting?

However, she still wasn't convinced that he wasn't trying to help them. She looked around the rest of the group, clapped her hands together, and said, "So, who's still up for grilled meat? I know I am!"

After hearing the answers of what they need as a bare requirement to learn proper magic, Alex started crunching some numbers in his head to see many levels he would require to get his intelligence to the point where he could grasp it. Well, it would take some effort, but it would certainly make my combat abilities soar.

Artisia and Xenon joined the group again. Artisia, speaking her mind, and clearly had raised her intelligence since she actually had a few valid points. Though Alex would never tell her that. "Not many of you actually play many games I take it?" He chimed in, "A player can only get so far on their own. A team is usually required to meet the greatest heights and fight the harder bosses."

Oh Kei would be so proud! I actually learned stuff while playing games with him!

"Our skill plays more like an RPG then a simple fighting game, or shooter where a single character can achieve it all. Why else would there be multiple Gamers otherwise? We are meant to all be a team, a Party. Whether we like it or not. Our potential is bound to it I would assume."

Not to mention the fact that our 'cold hearted' leader likely cares more than he lets on. Either that or something has happened before, or he assumes will. It isn't unusual for a game to kill off a protagonist to further the plot after all. Better not tell them that part though.

Taking a copy of the paper which had been assigned as 'homework' Alex folded it neatly and place it in his pocket. Giving his answer by action. Of course he would take the risk. After learning what he had, how could he think of stepping down and not grasping he power in front of him? If someone is scum enough to try to take another's life for kicks or make gain by littrally harvesting another, they should be put to the slaughter like the swine they are.

As Xenon took Rei away, Shouka brought up the subject of the meat again, "I don't know where it is." He shrugged, "Tian, lead on?" He looked at the others, as if wondering if they knew the place that he had in mind.​

Artisia…sure talked a lot. As a matter of fact, it looked like that, in this one instance, the pony-tailed martial artist spoke more than she ever had before. It was all really basic stuff, and Tian-Gui didn't really have the heart to tell her that everyone already KNEW what each other was capable of, seeing how they've been fighting imps and zombies together for the last week. After all, if the anti-social delinquent was finally realizing that being smart was good, well, all the better for her. The large man threw a thumbs up in her direction, before Rei began to speak up once more, spitting out a metric ton of MORE information.

Honestly, how much time does he spend building up these lectures? Tian-Gui smiled at the white-haired youth's contradicting attitude about all this, before tucking his 'homework' into his pocket. It was good to think about these things if he was to go into such a world, after all.

And it was even better, now, that Rei had clearly demonstrated the one thing that was missing in this world: villains. Supernatural yakuza who fought to kill or to toss poor souls into organ-harvesting plants. Other ability users who held things that were not the Gamer powers of his comrades.

His aspirations were slowly becoming a reality, and Tian-Gui's smile only broadened at the prospects.

An enemy to beat, a monster to slay. These were all great things, weren't they? He looked at his callused palm, and then clenched it, a fist trembling with excitement. It seemed like every day, there were things to celebrate now. Thumping his fist against his chest, Tian-Gui waited for Alex to finish stating the obvious about the powers of teamwork, before saying, "Alright Rei, I'll let you off the hook for tonight! Just note that you're totally going to be eating with us eventually, yah? We're not friends right now, but hey, we'll get there!"

"Shouko, Xenon, Kyousuke, Alex, Artisia, if you're all done chattering, let's go!"

With that, Tian-Gui marched off, leading the way with the power of Google Maps.

[BCOLOR=transparent]Xemom and Rei - Serious Talk and Domestic Violence[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Artisia's response was both... expected, and unexpected, at the same time. He then watched her sit down, and before he could either say anything or turn to leave, Xenon walked up to him, asking him if they could talk in private. While Rei had no reason to say yes, perhaps what Xenon had to say could prove useful or interesting. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]So with that thought in mind, he gives the stage magician a nod and follows him to the edge of the field away from everyone else, not waiting to hear what they had to say. They could have some more time to think and tell him their thoughts once this conversation ended. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]---[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Once they were secluded from the others, Xenon let out a small sigh. Like before, his expression was unreadable and neutral. "I'll be honest, I don't like you all that much," he began directly. "I typically have a hard time with people who don't express emotions, but I think that you kinda transcend that," the red haired teen shrugged. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I'm sure some of it is because of the whole set up, and beating up Artisia, and whatnot," he continued, "But when it boils down to it, I'd personally agree with you in choosing to forget about the whole gamer thing."[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Well Rei wasn't exactly trying to get their friendship or trust, considering that he was trying to get them to forget this whole ordeal and, through that, himself. Although forgetting the Gamer Power is more important than forgetting him. In fact, Rei was glad that he agreed to talk. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]After all, Xenon was in agreement that they should forget their power. "So will you forget then? Or are you going to stay in the abyss just because your friend wants to, even if it means having to eventually kill someone."[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Xenon looked intently at Rei. "I'm not a moralist," he began. His voice was slow and deliberate. "I don't think everyone can be saved, and I don't expect to be able to save everyone," he continued, "But that also means that I won't be deterred from trying to save the few people that I want to protect." All while he spoke, Xenon's voice remained calm and even, not once speeding up or rising in tone. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"And as you already know, Artisia is one of those people," the red haired teen pointed out. "Which is why I have a request for you."[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Rei raised an eyebrow, admiring Xenon's way of thinking. It was very realistic. It is impossible to save everyone. That much is true. And sometimes, no matter what you do whether right or wrong, somebody is going to get hurt. These things are true, regardless of whether or not a person is in the supernatural world or in the regular world. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]And then came some sort of request from Xenon, Rei having raised his eyebrow because of this request. Wondering what it is, Rei just gave a nod, allowing Xenon to continue to talk so he could explain the details of his request. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"This may be very unreasonable, so I apologize in advance," Xenon said calmly. "But, if we are ever in a situation where Artisia's life is, or can be put in jeopardy, please don't stop me from trying to save her."[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]The red haired teen kept his face impassive in an attempt to convey just how serious he was. "I know it sounds unreasonable, and that circumstances are different for every battle. Nevertheless, let me be stupid and put my life in forfeit if that's what it means," Xenon's voice rose slightly at the end, despite his efforts to keep it still. He took a breath to recollect himself, then continued, "With the only exception being, if it also risks everyone else's lives."[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Rei had no real reason to deny such a request. Of course, while he would make them strong enough to where something like that hopefully wouldn't happen...[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"There is little I can do to stop you aside from straight up knocking you out... so knock yourself out. That said..." Rei crosses his arms over his chest, thinking for a few moments. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"You need to make sure that there is a possibility that you can save her. I doubt your friend would want you to just throw your life away in an attempt to save her where such a thing is impossible. So perhaps you best start acquiring experience and Skills that are helpful for assessing a situation, like Perception for instance." [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]With that said, Rei wondered what else Xenon wanted. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"So is that all you wanted? Or do you have more to ask from a person you don't like at all." Rei didn't really seem to upset about that. Not really 'happy' with it either, but not upset. After all, he did try to kill them just now, and was more or less trying to throw them all out of the abyss, and effectively away from him, so such feelings were bound to appear. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Rei was pretty sure that everyone in their group didn't like him. And he didn't mind at all. He wasn't here to be their friend. If acting cold could possibly get them to not want to do this, then that was all the more reason to act cold to them. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]----[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Xenon felt immensely relieved when Rei agreed to his request. For a bit, he'd felt as though he would have been called out on being unreasonable or selfish, but was wholesomely glad that the shorter male had been willing to listen. When Rei started talking about the prospect of getting stronger, the red haired teen nodded in agreement. It was a fair point that was undoubtedly true. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I guess there's one more thing," Xenon admitted. The red haired teen took in a deep breath, his eyes fluttering shut as he did. Then he released the breath, with his eyes snapping open. He raised his hand, then lightly brought it down on Rei's head in a chopping manner. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"No more fighting to the death against each other," Xenon chided, "Seriously. Wouldn't there have been better ways to test us? Other than trying to beat the crap out of our skulls?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]---[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]As the hand was about to be brought down upon his head, Rei's strong grip, with strength that betrayed his slim, almost petite, appearance, grabbed Xenon's wrist very firmly, enough to hurt. It was clear that Rei had more combat experience than Xenon did. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Who said anything about trying to test you?" Rei heard the last thing Xenon said, but decided to ignore it for now, as his tone of voice grew a bit quieter, and much more serious, as suddenly Rei thrust their palm forward, his hand inches from Xenon's face in the matter of a mere instant, still keeping his grip firm on Xenon's wrist. "I was trying to kill you, if you didn't get the hint." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]If that was true, then Rei wouldn't have made a Pseudospace where they couldn't die, but of course Rei wasn't done talking yet. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Not your lives as human beings of course, but your spirits as Gamers. Just because I can put a seal on your power, doesn't mean it'll 100% go away, I don't know exactly how it works, and our power is different, so who knows if sealing it for a week would have worked. That's why if I could have beaten you all at half strength... then perhaps you would have realized you aren't cut out for this, and you would have mentally quit."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Rei pulls his hand back now and releases Xenon, shaking his head. "I wasn't testing you, and I definitely wasn't going easy on you. I stated you would be fighting a Level 12 enemy. Originally it [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]was[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] going to be the Big Imp... but" Rei pauses, thinking for a moment. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"After beating it about six times, I realized you all wouldn't have stood a chance, and I had a way to lower my level... so I figured I would just kill you myself in an environment where you can't die." Rei hadn't been testing them at all, apparently.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"But I failed. I messed up, and I made a lot of mistakes. And that's why I am now stuck teaching all of you something that you should be ignoring. After all, why would I want to teach you if I have been advocating this entire time for you all to ignore it?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Unable to even really see Rei react, Xenon couldn't really mask the involuntary flinch that came about from the bone crushing grip that encircled his wrist. He hadn't intended for the hit to be hard, but the muscles in his forearm were flexed against Rei's comparably smaller hand. As they spoke, the red haired teen remembered something:[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ah. I really don't like this guy. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]A number of things contributed to this, but the bottom line was that Xenon simply did not like Rei. At seventeen, he was not above being a little petty. He just wasn't petty enough to retaliate. Or enough to potentially get his ass handed down to him. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]It was, to say the least, a little irking to hear the reasoning behind the change in the task. Despite their small accomplishment, the experienced gamer had made a point to express just how minimal it was compared to what could very easily happen in the future. Rei's herculean grip was just a small testament to that. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Well, if it makes you feel any better, I don't think that some of the others would be all too dismayed from being beaten," the red haired teen noted gingerly as he rubbed his wrist. There was still a lingering pain etching where Rei had grabbed him, there was no sign of bruising or any other evidence whatsoever. "Even we had lost, if our powers hadn't gone away, I think there are a lot of us that would have just found out some other way to learn."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"That said, wouldn't this scenario be the better option then?" Xenon thought outloud. "Even if you have some ulterior motives, you seem to want us alive. Then sooner or later, all of us will be strong enough to fend for ourselves." Then he paused, and chuckled dryly. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Then again, by your standards, having us forget would still be the best option, huh? Any reason for that?" [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Simple. You all aren't cut out for this world." It was a rather simple response. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"In the end, you all are normal people. You aren't real 'Gamers' at all and have no idea what you are doing, and thus have to rely on someone else to teach you everything since you can't figure it out yourself." It sounded rather insulting... in fact it was. But it was also rather true. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"That's why you all came to me, and why you all continue to forcibly try and tolerate my presence. After all, why else would you continue to hang out with someone you abhor?" Rei knew that they did not like him, but again didn't really seem to mind at all. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Thus you have to rely on someone else to protect you and teach you, and I have to be that person unfortunately. I would rather not be that person, but now I have no choice but to be that person. Furthermore... you all don't seem to get the truth behind the situation you are in. You're all idiotically blinded by your own desire to explore this power just as I was." Another... somewhat truthful and insulting remark. Yet it also presented a bit about Rei. He had been in the same situation as the New Gamers were in now apparently. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Without realizing that if I hadn't been willingly handicapping myself.... If I had been wanting to end your real lives..." Rei grew a bit quieter, his eyes narrowing as he gazed right up directly into Xenon's eyes. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Artisia would be dead, you know. Felled in a few seconds. For once we hit that certain threshold below 0 HP..." [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"We die."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"And there would have been nothing you could have done about it. She would have been killed by another human being, and the rest of you would have either followed... or would have had to kill me to survive. And from the looks of it... none of you are cut out to be killers, even if our power would make it so you can't despair about such a thing."[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Xenon pressed his lips in a thin line. There was a small pinch in his gut that didn't bode well. It was something that he never really felt on a regular basis: annoyance. But instead of drowning into it, the red haired teen slowly traced back and thought slowly and carefully about Rei's words before formulating a response. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"She could have died," he agreed, voice steady and even, "Had your intention been to kill us." Xenon looked deliberately right back at Rei, his dark brown eyes uniform against the other teen's heterochromia. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]He drew in a small breath, "You're right in saying that most of us don't know what we're doing. I admit that the most gaming I've ever done was when I was still in elementary school. Diving into this, even with guidance could just mean we'll all die early deaths." Xenon blinked slowly, "But I'm going to go on a limb and assume that Gaia doesn't just pick and choose people at random to receive power." [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"It's also very true that I said I don't like you, but that's also partially because I don't know you," the redhaired teen shrugged. "You have to admit, most people would be a little miffed at some of the things you've done," he said with a pointed look. The pain in his wrist had reduced to a light throb, but it was still there. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"We don't have to be friends," Xenon said, his voice more tentative than before. "But it also couldn't hurt to establish some sort of trust, since we're more or less together until we can fend for ourselves."[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Trust huh? Rei just shook his head. "First rule of the Abyss and life in general. Don't. Trust. Anyone." Rei seemed to put a lot of emphasis on those last three words. "You'll live longer and be hurt a lot less that way." [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]He then looks to the other Gamers, and then looks to his phone to check the time. "Anyway, you guys better get going if you want to get to your barbeque. So unless you have anything else to say, I think I'll be heading off now."[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]With that, unless Xenon had anything else to say, Rei would begin to walk off now, leaving the New Gamers to go have their celebration. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Xenon chuckled dryly. A very Rei-like answer if I ever heard one, he thought to himself. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]If harboring trust was a sin in this world, then he had already left the pews long before he had even received power. Between feeling a tad bit drained (and still a bit pinched) from the talk and Rei's resolute stance on the matter, the red haired teen simply resigned to let it go. It's not really my place to tell someone how to live, after all, what with the crazy proposal I made.[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Okay, I'll see you again then-," Xenon started, then paused. For a moment he seemed to be contemplating something, then sighed lightly and broke out into a half smile. The teen snapped his fingers, and procured a small, blue flower between his thumb and index finger. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Amagi-sensei."[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]He suppressed the whisper of laughter that teased his throat.[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]Rei looked back and saw that Xenon procured a small, blue flower from... somewhere. He tried to see through it, but really just couldn't.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Get your INT to 20 and level your Knowledge Skill, if you have it, and maybe then you can start learning real Magic. Of course... you won't be able to use it in front of normal people, but it will be more impressive though." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]With that, perhaps not really being impressed by it. Intrigued yes. Impressed... not really, probably because he could already use actual, real Magic. So with that, Rei walked off, leaving Xenon to go join the others for celebration in defeating the very person who left. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Xenon nodded in response, unwilling to test his voice until the other teen had left for fear of laughter. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Then, he left to go rejoin the group, which seemed more than ready for some celebrating. "Sorry for making you guys wait," the teen sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck, an easy smile on his face. "Let's go."[/BCOLOR]

Just a twenty minute walk away from the park, Chosun Korean BBQ was a restaurant on the corner of a busy intersection. Painted with reds and oranges, it had a very warm glow, and definitely looked to be a rather casual place. A waitress with a little black dress greeted Tian-Gui as he lead his group in, guiding them to their tables at the back. With six seats, two grills, and a nice view of the hustle-bustle of downtown, it was a pleasant enough place. Tea was soon served, and the raven-haired youth began with ordering 20 of every meat the place had.

"Well then," he said cheerily, twirling long chopsticks in his hands, "Who wants to be the master griller?"

~~~

Shouko snapped back to reality upon reaching the restaurant. She was lost in thought, having read Rei's 'homework'. Her lips curled back into a smile and she scooted into her seat. Shouko found herself right opposite Tian-Gui.

"I can try my hand at it! Though I'm afraid you guys might have to settle for burnt meat, rather than grilled. Is that okay?" Shouko joked. She wasn't sure how to carry herself, since the average age of the group was lower than what the girl was used to.

~~~

Artisia was ready to eat some damn barbeque. Enough said.

As she entered the place, there was a warm, calm feeling that washed over her. Her entire body seemed to relax as she entered the place and took her seat at the table. It might be nice to try and get to know some of the dim-witted people here. She had already made enough enemies in her life, but making friends was something she wasn't used to. In fact, in this situation, she realized that she was probably the most awkward one in this setting.

When Tian-Gui and Shouko chimed in, Artisia smiled a little. It seemed like these people were trying to get along with her, even if it was only a little bit. Artisia decided that she would try her hand at being a griller too. "Hand me a pair of chopsticks, I'll do some cooking too!" Artisia turned to Shouko and smirked. "I won't lose to you," she joked. Artisia could feel that some of her usual gusto was being lost because of this situation. As she thought before, she was definitely the most awkward one there.

~~~

Xenon practically melted into his seat once they had reached the restaurant. While he felt fine physically, there was a little mental drainage needed: what with school, fighting, then serious talk to top it all off. Luckily for him, the joint they were at provided a fine combination of stress relief - steaming grills, meat, great sides, nice seats, oh, and also meat.

The redhaired teen let out a low whistle when all the meat Tian Gui had ordered arrived. "Are we seriously gonna be able to eat all of this?" he asked with a nervous chuckle. He could already feel his future of bloating just by looking at the crowded table.

With a sigh, Xenon took a few gulps of his tea, then pulled his chopsticks apart. "Let's do this," he proclaimed. Reaching over, he pulled up a plate of galbi and began to generously line the hot grill.

---

Arriving at their destination, Alex started judging the place immediately. Though it seemed a bit tacky in his eyes, it felt like it had a good enough atmosphere, and the seat he took was surprisingly comfortable.

After hearing what was ordered, Alex had to agree with Xenon, "Yeah, I think the real test of our skills begins right here and now. Can we overcome Tian's meat challenge?" He spoke in a serious tone as he got his own chopsticks ready, "Also count me in on trying to out fry both of you." He pointed with his sticks at Shouko and Artisia, a friendly smile on his face.

---

It felt reminiscent of high school. Though it was only the last year, the atmosphere at college parties were remarkably different. Of course, there was also the presence of booze that most high school students didn't dare openly order in a restaurant. Shouko smiled at the thought as she forked a piece of grilled pork and placed it into her mouth. The savory juices exploded into her mouth while she chewed.

"Mmmm. This is good!" Everyone was getting into the mood of the outing. Everyone except a missing Rei. "Rei sure is missing out. What do you guys think about him, anyway? His attitude is quite strange. So reserved. And during the fight, he was almost… feral?"

---

"I assume that he just isn't used to talking with people, and that he does actually care." Alex put more meat on the grill, before noticing a solitary piece which remained untouched, uneaten, and black as coal. He made a face as he pushed it to the side, "I'll give him more time before forming a proper opinion. Right now I just see a misfit, but I hope there is more there." Pulling his freshly cooked meat off, Alex blew on it a few times before shoving the food into his mouth, still a bit too hot to eat.

---

"I mean," Tian-Gui added, picking off a piece of lamb that Alex had tossed onto the grill, "Dude's definitely a weird mixture between a blue oni and a tsundere, you know? Talked with him during the training week, and he was so hilariously insistent that he was going to win. But yeah, he's a good kid at heart, I'd say."

The large man waved at a waitress, before bringing up the drinks menu and grinning, "So, anyone wanna get wasted? None of us drove here, right?"

---

Xenon was carefully wrapping his lettuce wrap when the topic of Rei came up. By proximity of time, the red haired teen found himself recounting the conversation that he had had with the younger gamer prior to leaving.

A little bubble of annoyance resurfaced at the thought of Rei's blunt and seemingly moody nature, and for a moment he was very much tempted to put in his own two cents about their new mentor... but decidedly chose to rather fill his mouth with his lettuce wrap and shut up at Alex's comment. As much as a first impression was important, getting to know someone is equally so, Xenon mentally rebuffed himself. Plus, he still hadn't come to terms with his less sore wrist.

"I don't think anyone drove, but aren't a couple of us," the teen glanced around briefly, "Kinda illegal?"

---

"Come on, Xenon, a couple of drinks wouldn't hurt. If anyone raises an issue, you could, um, do a magic trick and hide it, right?" Shouko answered the red-haired teenager's question. For a street magician, she hadn't pegged him as such a straight-laced person. She waved at Tian-Gui.

"How about a bottle of sake?"

---

Artisia started to grill a bit, while paying extremely close attention to the status of the meat. She was going to win this competition, especially since it had to do with her second favorite thing in the entire world. She bit her lip a bit as she flipped over one piece of meat, when suddenly she realized that people were talking about adding some booze to the party. Artisia got a little giddy at the idea, especially since she had dabbled in drinking a bit.

When Xenon shut down the idea, she suddenly got very chummy with him. "C'mon Xenon. I can promise that no one will notice that we're underage. We're close enough. And close enough is pretty much like being the actual age. If we get caught, then you can punish me, but just have a bit of fun. Okay?" Artisia laughed a little, trying not to seem like she was intensely pressuring Xenon into drinking with her, despite her lack of legality.

Artisia leaned over to Shouko and said, "A bottle of sake sounds pretty nice. I don't think I've had some in a while. Especially since my Dad always hogs all of it." Artisia laughed pretty hard after that joke, although it probably wasn't even that funny. She was still in the awkward stage, although she thought that she was getting closer to getting out of it.

~~~

Illegal? Tian-Gui, for a moment, was actually surprised at what Xenon just said. Minors drinking was illegal? What else was illegal? Possessing weapons? Literally trying to beat the shit out of people? Shrugging at the reveal that the magician was much more of a prude than he had originally expected, the Chinese youth called over a waitress and ordered three bottles of their finest sake, regardless of the opinions of anyone else.

"Welp, I've gone and ordered it! Those who don't want to drink don't need to drink, but hey, tonight's pretty good for splurging, eh? Anyways, we never get to use our abilities for anything fun! If we can't drink here, we can always drink in pseudospace~"

After all, the best way to escape attention was to pseudospace everything, but then again, unlike Rei, Tian-Gui actually enjoyed the atmosphere, and didn't want to ruin it by making everything go silent and shit.

~~~

Alex grinned at Xenon's attempts to be a good boy, and how quickly Artisia had shut them down. Tian ordering the drinks before anyone else could really put in their opinions was also a great add on to it. "I'm game." Alex spoke cheerfully, usually he only drank with his two close friends, and it was only a good time till one of them passed out. The flipping light weight. Alex looked at the others with a mischievous grin. "Wonder who can handle their alcohol the best at this table?"
I can see Tian having a GREAT drunk personality, Xenon would likely turn into more of a wiener, no clue on Shouko, maybe a more social drunk? Artisia will likely crumble into a softy. This is going to be fun! Alex was ready for some wacky time with the 'team'. "Pass some over here when you are ready to."

~~~

Xenon slowly lowered his face into his open palm. He didn't like where this was going in the slightest. Sure, it could be fun, he reasoned. Loosen up, be free, it would just be like the nth family reunion where everyone poked fun at his red hair… Oh wait, that was every reunion. Yeah, no. He wasn't gonna buy into it.

But before the teen could protest it again, Tian Gui did the favor of ordering sake for everyone. Xenon leaned back in quiet defeat. He knew what a lost cause was when he saw one. So instead, he reigned to sipping on tea, trying to think of excuses he could give to Artisia's parents if he had to take her home (which seemed preeetty probable).

Then Alex's comment about who could hold their alcohol best came out onto the table. "If it's contest," Xenon piped in with a creeping smirk, "My bets on Mr. Six foot something."

~~~

A wide smile came over Artisia's face as she heard Tian Gui order three bottles of sake. That's what I like to hear! It seemed that Alex was all for this little escapade that they were having, even though Artisia never pegged him as the drinking type. Well… Maybe she pegged him as more of a social drinker, but that wasn't important. Alex said something about who could handle their liquor the best and Artisia did not think she was in the top. She had barely drank before, but with the little she had drank, she was pretty much tripping over herself.

Xenon seemed to be assuming a position of quiet defeat. Although Artisia knew that Xenon wasn't one to ruin a mood, especially when everyone else seemed to be going along with whatever they were doing. Xenon also seemed to be concerned with her. He wasn't looking at her, but she could tell that he was probably concerned about her. Artisia thought about what he could possibly be thinking about, but then suddenly her parents popped into her head. Oh crap. Artisia shook her head. Nope. I can cross that bridge when I come to it. They can deal with me somehow.

Xenon proclaimed that his loyalties for the contest lied with Tian Gui. "Hey! You're not even going to root for your friend?!" Artisia pursed her lips a bit, but returned to her wide smile a moment later. "I'll be rooting for myself… If it's a competition, of course."

~~~

"You guys go ahead, I'm a lightweight," Shouko said even as she took it upon herself to pour out cups of the clear liquid. As a frequent participants of college drinkings parties, she could well be able to hold her own, but it wasn't her style to get piss drunk. Shouko placed a cup before each person at the table, then raised her own for a toast.

"To… leveling up!" she said, despite how silly it sounded.

~~~

Thanking Shouko, Tian-Gui prepped up a few more slabs of beef on the grill, enjoying the tantalizing sizzles that it gave off. Clinking his own glass against Shouko's, he said, "To JUSTICE!"

~~~

Did she really just toast to leveling up? And not a moment later, Tian joined with his Justice! Alex had a grin plastered on his face as he tried to not giggle. What the hell, might as well join in the ridiculousness of it all. Taking a cup firmly in hand, Alex raised his as well, "To Slaying Monsters!!"

---

Despite what Xenon had said before, Shouko still placed a cup in front of him while distributing. With the exasperated sigh of a single mother, the teen put down his cup of tea and picked up the cup of sake. One, just one. No refills. Xenon thought resolutely. Along with everyone else, he curtly raised his cup, "To legality."

Or lack, thereof.

---

Shouko placed a cup in front of her and then made a toast. Artisia gladly raised her cup, as others made some toasts that made her get riled up even more. "TO GETTING STRONGER!" As soon as she clinked her cup against the rest, she quickly downed the cup. The acidic liquid quickly worked its way down her throat until a warm feeling resided in her torso. Artisia smiled widely and gestured to Shouko. "Another please!" It probably wasn't a good idea for her to be drinking so quickly, but Artisia didn't really know how to hold back… At all.

~~~

Oh, strong drinker, eh? Matching Artisia's chug with his own, Tian-Gui grinned as the burning liquid slid down the inside of his throat. Letting out a powerful sigh, he pulled out another bottle and tossed it at Artisia, brandishing his own.

"Nice effort, Art! Let's see if you really can take another one!"

~~~

When Tian sent a bottle her way, she quickly caught it with shaky hands. In fact, she was surprised that she even happened to grab near it at all. But with this action by Tian, it was definitely a competition.

"I won't lose to you! You better get ready for a beating!"

~~~

Soon enough, a drinking contest of strong sake began. It was Artisia versus Tian-Gui. And at first, it seemed like Tian-Gui was winning. After a few rounds, Artisia would start to be the more nauseous looking one, but when the fourth round came by Tian-Gui would nearly lose his lunch, and start to look much more queasy because of it.

In the end, it was hard to say who won, as by the sixth round both were equally in drunken pains. Headaches, nausea, loss of balance, etcetera. In fact, a window appeared before the two, informing them of a status affect.

You are heavily intoxicated. As such, your body is taking a serious toll from the alcohol.
-50% DEX, Active Skills have a 25% chance of failure, -25 to any balance, movement, or grace based Actions.

However despite the status affect. Despite the pain that comes with being drunk, their minds were both normal. No lowered inhibitions, no changed personalities, etcetera. Their speech would be a bit slurred, but other than that the two would be completely and fully aware as if they were not drunk.

It was unclear as to why, unless anyone thought of "The Gamer's Mind" Skill. A Skill that granted immunity to mental effects. This most likely included the mental effects that came from drinking. Which meant that, for those who would want to drown their sorrows in booze, doing so is impossible thanks to their minds being unable to be drowned in the alcohol.

If the two continued to drink at this rate, the only thing they would be drowning is their livers and kidneys. Their bodies were the only things taking the toll from the sake. Not their minds.

~~~

"Yo what the fuck," Tian-Gui spat, his speech slurred but his words sharp, "this sucks!"

Even though his mind was still crystal clear, his body simply didn't move in accordance to his thoughts, and that felt really bad. Instead of inhibiting the mind, for some reason, alcohol only inhibited the body...which made no sense at all. What the hell? This Gamer power's drawback was THIS bullshit? Making it impossible for them to get drunk?

Shaking his head vigorously, he said, inbetween mouthfuls of meat, "Well, looks like drinking games will be boring now."

~~~

Artisia continued to down cups of sake until it seemed that her body couldn't handle any more. She felt incredibly nauseous, but she, for some reason, could think clearly. For the first time getting drunk, it was just pretty shitty. All she did was feel bad. She didn't even get the feeling that she had clouded judgement or anything, even though that's how being drunk was described to Artisia before.

Then Tian-Gui pointed out that drinking games will be boring.

"Ugh. I juss shad to get dwunk wight when I goh dish power!" Artisia wanted to slam her fist on the table, but her body's reaction to her thought was incredibly slow and weak. In fact, it just looked like she had slapped her hand onto the table like a noodle. She could barely even form a solid fist without exerting a lot of energy. "Whaa da heck?! Why can't I form a fisht?!"

~~~

Indeed. Their minds would be fine, but their physical bodies would not be fine. A drawback of the power already presenting itself in the fact that their minds would be clear from negative effects, which in some cases could be both good and bad. In this specific case, for those who had a desire to get drunk, it would be a bad thing, but perhaps this would teach them not to get drunk in the future.

~~~

"What's wrong?" Shouko asked when Tian-Gui and Artisia paused their drinking contest and began to act strangely. She hadn't had enough to have the status effect applied to her. They both seemed outraged at something.

~~~

Xenon sighed and patted Artisia's back. "Somehow, I feel like I've dodged a bullet," he muttered as he rubbed sympathetically. Artisia and Tian Gui had really gone at it with the drinking competition, then both dissolved into inexplicable fits of anger.

"Is there something wrong with the sake or something?" Xenon followed up on Shouko's inquiry,

~~~

Artisia continued in her fit of rage, until she realized that everyone else probably had no idea what was going on. When Shouko and Xenon asked if something was wrong, Artisia shook her head. "No. The alcohosh jusht not affecting me, in my bwain." Artisia pointed to her head, then rubbed her stomach since it felt like it was telling her she made a mistake. And she probably did.

~~~

Shouko stared blankly at the girl. The slurred speech, the loss of motor control- to all appearances she was drunk. What did she mean by 'not affecting her'? Shouko took another sip from her cup before the idea hit her.

"Wait, you don't mean… The power. The gamer ability. It's messing with you in some way?" she said after realizing that her own thoughts were still crystal clear even though she had already had half a dozen cups. She should at least be feeling a little buzzed by now. "No way…"

~~~

Having only had a cup, Alex wasn't expecting to be intoxicated at all. Hoping to see the big strong people of the group get smashed, that was the real goal with having a drink with them... Then telling them fun stories of what they may or may not have done. Sadly, this would not be so. "Well that is lame. I was expecting overly open about everything Artisia who wouldn't go to violence first, and overly emotional or happy drunk Tian." Alex crossed his arms like a child who just had their toy taken away. "Now I have to find a new way to make drinking fun, as that just seems like all the downsides of alcohol. You sound silly and function slower." Racking his mind of ways to take advantage of the changes drinking had gone due to their power, an idea crossed Alex's mind, "Maybe you need to have more, and then you will see drunken hallucinations, and can actually communicate with them like in a game?"
Give it a try you fools!

~~~

"Yeaaaaa," Tian-Gui replied, his expression more grave than it been even when he faced off against Rei, "This is really bad news then...the Gamer power has literally robbed us of one of the few ways that adults entertain themselves…"

He crossed his arms, contemplating everything deeply, before ultimately shrugging.

"Well, whatever, let's just eat more meat."

~~~

Xenon let out a small "oh" at the explanation of how the gamer's power worked with alcohol. He recalled the passive, Gamer's mind, and quickly connected the dots. It's kinda like a safeguard, the red haired teen realized. Yet another function of being a gamer to be discovered, even after a solid week of fooling around with windows. Though, Xenon noted, this feature seemed less popular in comparison to shooting bolts and creating magical spaces.

"More meat sounds good," he agreed sympathetically.

~~~

Eventually, with more meat and probably no more alcohol given the apparent lack of mind numbing effects, the party would conclude and the New Gamers would head on home, possibly to prepare the homework Rei had given them and be ready for tomorrow's training.

Luckily it was still Golden Week, so there would be no school and, for most, no work that they would have to do, a week full of holidays so to speak, meaning they were free for more training, although despite that Rei did mention to meet them at the same park at 4 PM, although whether or not Rei would be there earlier than that was unclear.

But still. There was going to be a lot going on during this week, despite the holidays.

Tuesday, May 1st

Soon enough, the next day would roll around. Each of the New Gamers would be greeted with the familiar window upon waking up, telling them that they have been fully healed. Of course, aside from that window, a PM would also be awaiting for them upon waking up as well, sent pretty early actually.
Subject: Appointment

Remember. Meet me at the park at 4 PM. Don't be late, do not forget the homework.

Of course, the contents of the PM are as straightforward as usual, that just being how Rei is. Of course, with the meeting time being 4 PM, this meant that the New Gamers could either spend half the day preparing by themselves for whatever Rei had planned, or they could perhaps head there early and see if Rei was already there. Knowing Rei though, whose concept of spending free time was just doing whatever he wanted by himself, Rei probably was already there at the park inside of a Pseudospace, at home, or perhaps in the Entertainment district like the game loving Otaku he is.

Regardless, the Gamers had half a day to prepare and do whatever they needed to do, whether business or Gamer related, before the proposed meeting time.​

The celebratory mood quickly died out after they found out that sake was now no different from poison. Shouko supposed that ethanol was in fact a toxic chemical. Humanity tolerated that fact for the happy side effects it induced at the same time. Having that taken away, there was no longer a reason to drink it. Shouko asked the waiter to return the remaining two bottles. I guess I'll never find out what getting wasted feels like.

Shouko soon bade farewell to the group and walked home. It was the perfect timing for Golden Week- she had the next few days to train her abilities further. Once home, she quickly went to sleep to recover from the day's exertions.

She woke up before sunrise. There was already a PM waiting for her. It was from Rei, reminding her of the training they earned. It also reminded her of the 'homework'. She took out the sheet and read it. They were rather general questions about the direction they intended to take, but most of them had Shouko stumped. She realized not being a fan of videogames was a severe handicap in this situation.

"Preferred fighting style? Does running away count as one?" she muttered and rolled in bed, still holding the sheet. She employed the help of the Internet just to make sense of the things Rei was talking about. The article on 'roleplaying-games' was particularly helpful. The gamer system appears to be modeled after the genre. How that even made sense, Shouko had no idea.

In the end, she decided to write a message to Rei.

Good morning, Rei. I find your homework quite difficult.
Do you have time to talk?
I really need help with this.​

His sister was out again huh? Perfect.

"I can go to the park all day then."

Of course, as Rei thinks this sentence, he just pauses and chuckles. A month and a half ago, he would have never said something like that. He would still be inside, still be playing on games, and still be perfectly safe. Instead... he had Power. It was...

Incredible

Exhilarating

and...

Frightening

He was living every game lover's dream. To acquire powers and be able to fight monsters. But at the same time, just like any of these scenarios, it always came with a price. The price for the Gamers, in this case, was the loss of the ability to live normally. The stronger they became, the further from normality they would become. In fact, there are some games that Rei stopped playing altogether because the power ruined them for him. He was either too good thanks to his increased INT, AGI, and DEX; or he was living the actual scenario and thus the pretend scenario was boring by comparison.

As Rei was at the park early in the morning, he suddenly received a PM from Shouko. So naturally he sent one in response.

Subject: N/A

Come meet me at the same park then.

As usual, straightforward and to the point. By the time Shouko had gotten there, she would enter a Pseudospace, where Rei seemed to be sitting on the ground, drinking a bottle water, a bit of sweat on his brow as if he just finished a fight by the time she got there. He looks at her and just beckons her over, as he is in the center of the park. Once she is over, without standing up, he looks up at her and asks one simple question.

"What do you need help with?"

---

In the meantime, in the same morning, Tian-Gui was making a run through the residential district and, with the added weight and encumbrance of the hot chain mail... it went... not horribly. He made some decent progress, but running in hot, heavy chainmail was not the best of ideas. In fact, it was a pretty horrible idea really. It turned what should have been a decent run into a somewhat average run, the extra weight and the heat eventually adding up since it was still Summer right now.

Still, he got some SP and levels in Intensify Energy. For someone who didn't know anything about games, he knew how to grind at least. Perhaps this is something Rei could be impressed by, if Rei knew about this.

Of course, as Tian neared the area he lived, being outside of a Pseudospace at the time, he would happen to see a rather... curious individual. They were walking down the street, a shopping bag in hand as they played on a phone. They were wearing a rather nice looking outfit, and a scarf and hat for some reason despite the heat. In fact, this long red haired girl didn't seem to be bothered by the heat at all. If anything, they looked used to it. Of course, their fashion choice isn't what made her seem curious. What made her curious was the text above her head.

Heir to the Raijin-Ken
Sumi Ban Lv 38

That bit of text right there indicated two things. One, their class wasn't something normal. Two... they were much, much stronger than anything they ever faced according to her level. It was at least 15 levels above Rei, twenty above a big Imp, and around thirty levels above himself. It didn't matter how much team work the Gamers had. How much strategy they used. This... didn't look like an opponent they could beat. Heck, they probably wouldn't even stand a ghost of a chance if they fought someone of this level.

Yes, their power let them know one thing about their opponents just from a glance. Whether or not its something they could stand a chance against or whether or not...

It'd be over in an instant.

Of course, she didn't seem to notice Tian-Gui at all, and was more concerned with walking wherever she needed to go and the phone in her hand. This gave Tian one of two options. Approach the girl and pray to whatever deity he worshiped that this girl was friendlier than Rei at least, or ignore her and live another day.

After Alexander got out of the taxi driving him home, he flung his shoes off from his feet, a two thump noises echoing through his house as the shoes collided with a wall. "Honey I'm home." The silence of an empty house was the only response. Alex let out a sigh, "Well, after being with such a vocal group, I guess the silence of being alone would be quiet lame." He flopped himself down on his large mattress, Well the silence may be deafening, but on the bright side, I don't have to listen to stupid people talk. He grinned, then slowly drifted away into sleep.

Walking up in the morning, Alex dismissed the typical morning window as if by instinct. The message though, he paused as he thought about it, then closed it.

Going about his typical morning routine, Alex sat at his table with a freshly prepared fruit salad infront of him as he went over their 'homework.' The sooner he got it done, the sooner he could get back to actually training. In his mind he was already behind schedule in that he was not of any real use in most fighting circumstances...yet.

Fighting style? Magic. Preferred to be removed from the direct fighting. Though Any range. Need to have answers for any fight, range shouldn't mean a thing other than which skills get used and their order.

What do I want to learn? Manipulation magic? Electric? Fire? Sticky spider web like magic? I don't know, all the magics? I need an answer to any problem Like what is he looking for? A shallow answer? And why would I tell him everything I plan on looking into? Screw it, I'll just put manipulating my mana threads further.

Desired weapon? A puppet to fight for me. i'll settle for a whip though. Kinky, fierce, efficient and has multiple uses.

Desired armour? Screw armour unless it looks good. Magically enchantment armour that let me look like I just have my clothes, or silver armour, or crystal. Light though is probably the answer. Till I get my stats high enough that any armour is light armour.

Lingo, well My friend does dumb some of it down, but for the most part I have an understanding of most things. Though I have no idea of their origin, and I would sooner die than be caught speaking leet speak in public.

Working on making my skills, thanks tips.

If not for the contract binding you to help us, I would defiantly lie about which skills I do and don't have. Actually. Alex pushed his chair back from the table, I can stretch the truth, and just not tell them about skills I am working on, but tell them all I have at this very moment. Maybe fudge a few other answers to not give away my plans. Yeah that will do.

Alex wrote up mostly what he thought, removing most of the snarky comments. "Good enough." He put the paper into his inventory then stepped out into his garden. "Well, I should try a few things before I go out to join them. And I should try to get ahold of Rei to get some extra training or tips in. After I train a bit." Sitting himself down and let out a deep breath, "Okay. lets get started. Empty pseudospace." He held his hand up, "Now then, back to basics, go back to trying to feel your mana like you did at the start. Go past the threads and feel it at its core." He spoke aloud to himself as he got ready to try to get a better grasp of his own mana.

[fieldbox="Xenon Zhu, red, solid"]After parting from the group, Xenon made his way home by foot. By the time he reached his house, one glance at the dark windows inferred that his parents were out for the night again. Which, luckily for him, meant that he didn't have to sneak in through the window again. After a quick, mostly thoughtless run through his evening routine, the red haired teen retired to his bed.

Come morning, Xenon read Rei's message. In a bout of settling laziness (plus the fact that his parents still weren't home), the teen decided to treat himself to his favorite breakfast joint over preparing food. Once he was seated over a plate of heart attack inducing dark chocolate crepes, Xenon took a moment to actually do the "homework" Rei had passed out.

He had taken a liberal amount of time to look over the paper before, but between the slew of celebration and the lull of sleep, he never really had the chance to contemplate how to answer some of the questions. So, the red haired teen chose to work backwards instead.

The last question was fairly easy - t[BCOLOR=transparent]ype and print a comprehensive list of all of your Skills and, if applicable, items. Copy and paste for the win, Xenon thought. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Next was knowledge about gaming terminology. For this one, the teen simply opened up his phone and did a quick study session on lingo. To his surprise, there were a lot more terms than he had thought. I guess this is why pro gaming is a thing, he thought. For the sake of the question, however, he simply wrote down, "Not much. Currently a WIP." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]For the question on armor type, Xenon wrote down what he told his mom every time they went clothes shopping, "Something comfortable and light. Nothing I can drown in." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Weapons was easy at first, since the red haired teen had already asked about weaponry before when he had bought his katars from Rei. "Working with katars right now (as you know), hoping to move up to deer antler blades for more versatility," Xenon paused, then continued to write, "May look into throwing knives as a ranged option." After another moment of thought, he crossed out the last bit. Would I really need a physical ranged option? I could just build on ranged magic... But. Bouncing ideas couldn't hurt, could it? He eventually rewrote it. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]When Xenon read the second question, he couldn't help but let out a little chuckle. I can almost hear Rei saying that last bit aloud, he thought, bemused. This question was a little harder. Rei's words from the end of their private conversation came back to him: [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Get your INT to 20 and level your Knowledge Skill, if you have it, and maybe then you can start learning real Magic. Of course... you won't be able to use it in front of normal people, but it will be more impressive though." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Impressive, huh? Xenon leaned back into the booth. His mind wandered as he took idle bites of his crepe. In the end, he wrote down the typical stage magician answer: "I want to look into the illusion magic I asked you about before. Other than that, I'm not too sure."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]And for the final question (or the first question, actually), the answer came fairly easy. If Xenon closed his eyes, he could almost replay the scene in slow motion - sneaking behind Tian Gui, rushing for the opening, and landing the unseen hit. "Building on my agility and dexterity, I'm thinking about capitalizing on stealth attacks." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Once he was finished, Xenon lifted his arms to stretch. There was still some time before the meeting time. After finishing up his crepe and paying, the red haired teen made his way outside and decided to find somewhere to practice channeling mana. [/BCOLOR][/fieldbox]

Shouko got a reply to meet him at the park even though it was still early in the day. Since he asked for a meeting at four, that meant the teenager was going to be in the park the whole day. He was most likely using the space for training, Shouko guessed.

She changed into some loose, flexible clothing in preparation for some combat training. Shouko pinched her stomach, wondering when it would reduce in girth. She was regularly exercising after all.

Half an hour later, she arrived in the park by bus. It didn't take very long for the ambient noise to disappear, marking the entrance into a pseudospace. Shouko looked around and saw Rei's striking hair in the distance.

He had already started, judging by his disheveled appearance. Shouko waved when he looked up at her. Having no one else around made Shouko notice him more, and Rei sure had an odd appearance. Most of all were the strange eye color- was that combination even natural, or did he do something to them? Rei also had very fine features. Shouko would bet that he would grow into a gorgeous pretty-boy.

"What do you need help with?" Rei asked. Shouko sat down beside him before replying.

"Your homework. It made me realize that I really don't understand this world at all. Unlike the rest of you, I don't play video games, you see. So all this talk about weapons and fighting styles and abilities really don't make any sense to me."

"Oh, but don't get me wrong. I want to do this. I just don't know how. I'm obviously not good at fighting, but I have no idea what else these powers can offer."

Xenon Mana Practice

After Xenon completed his homework and got a meal at the diner, it was time for him to get to work practicing using his Channel Mana Skill. Fortunately the meal he ate gave him +10 Recovery and +10 Regeneration, so it would make using his Mana a little easier and he wouldn't get as tired quickly during the first thirty minutes of his practice.

Also all he needed to do to really use the Skill was just activate it, no special focusing required or anything. Thanks to this, he was able to make excellent progress in both Channel Mana and Mana Bolt to the point where he actually managed to have Channel Mana hit Max Level. This gave him another Ability Point and now gave him the option to either Advance the Skill, which perhaps Rei would give good advice for on how to do so, or Rank it Up so that it could become even stronger.

---

Alexander Mana Practice
97 (Fumble)
82 - 9 Focus = 73

Alexander would attempt to focus his Mana, trying to better control and harness it to perhaps be able to have better control over his threads. His Mana would begin to drain as he tried, but unfortunately it was to no avail. Perhaps his Focus wasn't high enough, or he didn't have the proper ability to do so yet.

Perhaps he needed to Advance the Focus Skill to move it towards controlling Mana. Or perhaps he just needed to increase his WIS even further. Regardless, it seemed like controlling his Mana more fluently is still out of Alexander's reach. Still, he made good progress in his Skills during the practice, so it wasn't a complete waste, even if the practice wasn't successful in its result, progress is still progress.

His Focus Talent was almost at Max Level again, which means he could Advance it again soon or just keep Ranking it up, his Mana Talent had gained another two levels from going through his Mana, and his Mana Thread had gained a few levels as well. Overall, decent progress. Having alot of Mana and a higher Recovery Score seemed to be the best way to get good practice.

Of course, stamina was the limit, and he did have to rest a few times. Overall, he made pretty good progress. Perhaps Rei would hold the key though to helping him progress even further.

---

Rei and Shouko

Rei just gives a nod as he listens to what Shouko has to say as she sits next to him. "Well those others look like they haven't played many, if any, video games either. So you're not alone there."

Which is what confused Rei greatly. This was a power given to him because of his love of games. Natural Abilities were usually given based on some aspect or experience the user had. For instance a hot headed person may receive the power to control fire or someone who had a good or bad experience with Water may acquire the power to control that.

"So why do these six, who have little to no gaming experience, receive a power that pretty much is a culmination of years of that..."

Rei just sighs, and then looks Shouko over. Deciding to put that thought out of mind for now.

"Well right now you seem to prefer utilizing your Bow from a distance, with thrown Items to deal some serious damage if the enemy is a bit closer to you. You have the builds of an Alchemist, although it'll probably be a bit before you can get actual Alchemy. And you do have a Shield you use for added defense, which is also pretty decent." In a sense, Rei was saying Shouko's preferred style of fighting was the ranged type.

"However there are a few things you lack, one of them being Melee. I ask you all your preferred fighting style, so that way I can seek to add what needs to be added onto it. You need something that allows you to attack opponents close up if they get close to you. After all, unless you can fire off Arrows at rapid speeds, your opponents will easily be able to get close to you. Spears would be good for that. Or if you want something lighter perhaps a Rapier or Shortsword could work. And what sort of Armor would you want to wear? Something that allows you to tank more hits like Heavy Armor, or something that's easier to move around in?" Essentially Shouko needed some way to attack foes up close.

"Your Mana Burst Skill is also good for that, but it uses too much MP right now to be something that you can constantly rely upon."

And then Rei moved onto his next point.

"Your Alchemy could potentially give you mystical potions or throwing projectiles and whatnot, but unless you find ways to produce these by a large amount, you will need some other form of mystical attacks as well. So perhaps learning Magic, since you are going to be going along the Intelligence route anyway with Alchemy, also wouldn't be bad for you. From my understanding... usually Earth or Fire Magic goes good with Alchemy. Even the Magic I use, Materia Magic, would go great with Alchemy as well... although... my Magic relies on Items... so that may not be good for you. Its either that, or you stick with your Mana based attacks."

These seemed to be the kinds of choices that Shouko needed to make.

"Any questions?"

Last edited:
"I wouldn't call it a preference. I used a bow and made those firebombs precisely because I had no idea how to fight. So you're saying I need to learn anyway, huh," Shouko lamented. Doubts crept into her mind. What was she doing, getting into such a dangerous business?

"Alchemy? How would I learn it? I'm studying pharmacy, so something like that sounds right up my alley," she asked when Rei mentioned the topic. If memory served, alchemy was the ancient precursor to modern chemistry. Alchemists could reputedly create all manner of concoctions and fantastical chemical transformations. Shouko's eyes widened suddenly, and said, "Wait, do you think gold transmutation is possible with this power? It's a crazy thought, but everything we can do so far is crazy."

"Yes, you need to know how to fight. How to kill. If you can't do that... if you're not willing to put your life on the line, then you need to go home and ignore your power." Rei says this without hesitation, making it rather plain and simple. Using these powers, growing stronger, and fighting. All of these things carried a risk to their very lives. If Shouko is unable to handle it, unable to put her life on the line; then she needed to go home.

"I don't know about Gold Transmutation... but if you got your INT a bit higher, probably around 16 to 20, purchase a book on Alchemy, and then get your applicable Skill up to Max Level, you could do a Supplemental Advancement. This is where you use a Skill Book or other source of knowledge to Advance a Skill in a specific direction. It costs fewer AP and can usually get you further then you could normally go, of course its only down a specific path, but its probably your best bet for learning Alchemy."

Basically it wasn't too far away for her. "Of course, if you haven't Ranked Up said Skill yet, then you may want to Rank it Up first and let it hit Max Level a second time. After all, your INT is only 12, so you aren't near that goal in terms of INT yet."

Then Rei stands up now, beginning to stretch. "Any other questions? Or do you want to start some training. I am about to start hunting more Zombies. This is a good chance for you to start building up SP and EXP right now."

"No, of course I'm willing to fight!" Shouko raised her volume indignantly, though she didn't truly believe in her own words. Fighting, murder; these were things that most people would never consider doing. Can I really shoot to kill?

Shouko was disappointed to hear that Rei didn't know whether gold transmutation was possible. Alchemy required a book to learn, which made perfect sense, but required more intelligence on her part. Shouko wondered if it was an indirect insult from Rei on her intelligence. In any case, it meant more training before she could do anything with it.

"Training sounds good," Shouko replied to his offer. She stretched out her arms, getting ready for some butt kicking. "I suppose you'll be able to help procure the book when I need it?"

She retrieved her gear from the inventory and equipped them. To Rei, a longbow would appear in her hands, followed by her buckler and quiver. Shouko adjusted the straps on her quiver before informing Rei that she was ready.

The chainmail clung to his undershirt, and the sweat that beaded off his body made the weight extremely uncomfortable. Metal chaffed against his skin, and though it did not hurt or even leave it a mark, it was still an unpleasant experience. Each step was encumbered, and even in the morning, the warmth of a summer day was wearing down on him. But, despite the suffering, Tian-Gui could smile. After all, there was no gains without any pain, and in the future, he was going to have to get much faster than this. Every few minutes, he Intensified his Energy, pumping more power into his body and accelerating his pace. It only wore down on his stamina further, but it was training, and he didn't have much time.

Golden Week, after all, was a rare oppurtunity, and after the revelry of last night, he had new goals to pursue. Answering Rei's homework, achieving his heroic aspirations, changing the world, all those big things.

All those thoughts crawled in his head, until they were blown away by the presence of an awe-inspiring individual. Stopping almost immediately, Tian-Gui blinked a few times, wiped the sweat off his brow, and had to physically shut his jaw when he saw the level 38 red-head. Raijin-Ken? Was that a martial art?

And level 38, in a world where policemen and other trained professionals were merely in the single digits? He wasn't the type of person to be picking up girls on the side of the street, but, just for this Sumi Ban person, Tian-Gui stopped, and closed his eyes.

The flames of his soul burst out, and the world stopped.

"Hey there!" he called, waving at her from across the road, "Got a second?"
~
She noticed the Pseudospace forming, and immediately stopped in her tracks, her eyes directing towards Tian-Gui. She puts the phone away first, slipping it into her pocket. Next she sets the bag of groceries down. She breaths inhales slowly, then exhales.

Suddenly there is a yellow energy around her foot, and then in the next moment the ground where her foot was cracks under pressure. Before Tian-Gui can even react to raise an arm to parry, block, or plead for some kind of mercy a hand has clasped itself onto his neck. To call it a mere human's grip would be absurd.

It was more like the grip of a steel vice as suddenly his body is lifted up off the ground, and then slammed into the wall, forty HP gone despite both his Resilience and Armor, the wall of the store he was slammed into actually having a few cracks on it. She raises her other fist up, electricity crackling around it, her eyes staring into him, through him, as if trying to measure his every aspect through this one eye contact.

"You're rather careless, don't you think? Who are you and who do you work for? Erecting a Pseudospace like this is a pretty bold move, so if you don't start talking, ill show you why wearing metal armor around an Electricity User is a very bad idea."

This is it. If Tian didn't start answering trutfully, there was a high chance he was going to die. She must have mistaken him as an enemy for some odd reason, so unless he proves his friendliness to her, he is going to be in for one hell of a painful time.
~
Such power! Such was the Raijin namesake, and such was her absurd amount of strength that Tian-Gui gasped out in pain as the air was driven out of his lungs in a single strike. The wall cracked underneath the pressure, and he could feel his chainmail digging into his back. Sumi really was powerful, wasn't she? He could only imagine how much of a pain in the ass it'd be if Rei was that strong.

Holding up his hands up to the side to show that he meant no harm, the raven-haired youth replied, "There's easier ways to show that you had a second to spare, you know? Sorry for interrupting your shopping trip, but hey, it's not every day I see someone as exceptional as yourself!"

"Anyways, I'm Tian-Gui Jian, power user, construction worker, and aspiring hero. I work for Godfather Construction Firm, fight for my friends, and I'm currently spending this Golden Week training! Then, of course, I notice someone as overpoweringly powerful as yourself and thought, hey, might as well go ask how they can be attractive and strong at the same time."

"Thus," he concluded, "Here we are."
~

Rolling on the charm. It is true, Sumi is indeed quite beautiful. However... there was one thing Tian-Gui never did take into account. This girl was a martial artist. A warrior. Someone who probably honed their mind as much as they did their body. And as such, as Tian-Gui laid on thick the charm, suddenly the grip around his neck got tighter.

"So you're some weak Natural Ability User... who just got his power huh... judging from how weak your energy is, there's no way you could be a threat." She lets him drop to the ground now, takes a step back, but then before he can stand up, she is pointing her electricity covered fist right at his face.

"I want you to stand up, slowly, and explain to me just how you know how strong I am then, if you really don't work for anybody. Is it some kind of sensory power? If you don't start telling the truth, the whole truth... then I will make good on my threats to show you what lightning feels like."

That fist is getting closer now, the electricity from it able to be felt from this close. It was immense and powerful, as if even one touch of that fist alone would be the death of him. A painful, electricity induced death.

"And I want you to be serious. Stop your flattery, and stop your bullshit." She seemed to see right through his attempt at being 'nice'. This was different than Rei's cold demeanor though. This wasn't something to push people away, or to be a jerk with. This was a dagger pointed at his throat, a gun pointed at his forehead. It was death staring him in the face, and this girl, with how powerful she was, could deliver Tian straight to it.

"I want the truth, and nothing else. Understood? Just who, or what, are you?"
~
Tian-Gui stood up and stopped smiling. Did she think it was sarcasm? That it was him trying to bullshit? Her demeanor was murderous, but after last night, all those death threats were growing thin on him. Eletricity crackled from her fist, stray sparks bouncing onto his chainmail and searing holes in his shirt. A fatal weapon, but if this was his first experience with the 'greater' threats that Rei spoke about, then that was to be expected.

"It's neither flattery nor bullshit. Red hair and silver eyes are a pleasant, unique combination, much more vibrant than what I'm used to, and when I see someone that looks nice, I make a comment on it. Anyways, just a couple of months ago, my definition of power was that of a big, muscled body."

Looked like she did just want the truth though, so hey, he'll give it to her.

"I hold a power called 'Gamer', which allows me to treat this world as a PG-13 game. I get stats, I level up, I can't bleed, and I see how healthy I am through life points. I can also automatically identify people, as well as gauge how strong they are based off their levels. I am level 8. At 4PM, I will be meeting someone who is level 23. You are level 38."

He cocked his head to the side.

"See how I might be interested in you now, Heir to the Thunder God Fist?"
~

She simply listens to his explanation, looking into his eyes the entire time, as if gaguging him for any sense of falsehood. Of course, at the end of his explanation, as he calmly states his title her eyes widen, then narrow, and she lowers her fist, the electricity fading.

"I see..." her demeanor seems to have calmed now, as she seems to have discerned him friend. The text above her head, which had been red a moment ago to indicate her hostility as an enemy was now light blue once again. Perhaps another useful function of the power.

"You'll have to forgive me for going on you like that. There have been reports of hunters disgusing themselves as rookies before, and I needed to be sure that you were not one of them." She seemed... much more reasonable than Rei.

Rather than keep her murderous, killer demenaor she was now calm and pleasant.

"And of course, one trick they love to resort to for tricking people is flattery and flirtation. Still... " she looks at him, looking him over, "you possess a rather... strange power, if it can really see what it can, and you knowing.. that name..." she pauses for a moment there, "shows that its not a lie."

"A power that can do all of that..." she seems to have noticed the not bleeding thing, as she figures his internal organs should have been damaged by that strike, but yet not a single drop of blood was spilt from his lips. "Is definitelly... unique. And you said... you had friends as well? Are they ability users like yourself with the same power? Or just ordinary people?"

Now she was indeed curious. She had never seen a power like this before. She put a hand on his stomach, feeling something out before pulling it back. "Your internal organs also seem fine... it really is as you said, you don't bleed..." she seems... quite shocked and impressed by that fact. If it wasn't for the massive amounts of mental discipline she had, she would probably have been unnerved even. But she wasn't.

She was just curious.
~
Hunters disguised as rookies? Tian-Gui narrowed his eyes at that. It was definitely the type of information that should be shared with others then, and all of a sudden, her caution and murderous first impression made sense to him.

"Shall we exchange answers and questions then?" he suggested, "because I'm hella curious about these hunters you mention now. Sounds just like the sort of baddies that Rei's being trying to get me away from."

"Anyways, yes, I have friends of varying ages that all possessed the same power at the same time as me, except for that more experienced individual I mentioned before. Then again, I also have friends that are ordinary, so...yeah. Would you like to properly introduce yourself though? Reading off a name tag isn't quite the same as getting a self-introduction, after all."
~

"Well its a bit of older news, not really anything you all should concern yourselves with. Still, its something I am always on the look out for. Its why you shouldn't be so careless in approaching other Ability Users..." She looks at the wall she had shoved him against.

"You seem like an amicable fellow after all, but if you are careless in your approach it may end up getting you killed, especially since there are types that would kill or capture someone like you instead of seeing what you want."

Of course, she wondered who this 'Rei' was. Sounds like the leader of their group and someone she should talk to. "I am Sumi Ban, martial artist and daughter of the Ban Family branch that watches over the Residential District. Your group... how many members does it have?" She was curious about his group now.

"Because I have heard whispers of a group called 'The Gamers'... and if you are them, then you need to be more careful with how you go about your actions. Just setting up Pseudospaces wherever in the city you want, especially in districts other than the Port Island or Residential, may get you in trouble."

So apparently, the Gamers needed to be a bit more discreet then with where they practiced, and while it seemed like good training, perhaps setting up random Pseudospaces while jogging wasn't necessarily all that safe.

"After all, setting up Pseudospaces wherever you please is like asking for trouble. You may have been lucky so far, but you need to be more careful in the future... " she looks him over again. "Of course... its also not too late for you to seal your power and go back to your normal life, if that is what you want..."

Something that Rei mentioned as well, although at least this girl seemed to be a bit more pleasant in the way she said it. Definitely better than Rei already.
~
Rumors about the Gamers? Huh, that's interesting, seeing how Tian-Gui or the others had never encountered any other power users before. At the very least, it looked like Rei wasn't bullshitting too hard about how dangerous it was for wishy-washy people having any sort of 'actual' power.

"Yeah, dunno how people heard about the Gamers if you're my first contact with someone with a different power, but there's...seven of us? Something like that. Explain to me though, Sumi, what's up with the Residential District and the Port Island District then? Is this like...a turf war sorta thing?"

Seeing how Rei had described it as the supernatural yakuza, that sounded fairly likely, all things considered. "And didn't you hear me before? I wanna be the saikyou hero. No way I'm going to give it up and go back to normal...though it sorta sucks that I can't get drunk now. So yeah, does your family take students or something? At this point, I'm pretty sure it'd just be boring sparring against normal martial artists, so hey, if you have a family of monsters, it'd be awesome if I could train up and not become a liability!"
~

She just shakes her head. "You really are rookies aren't you..." She wonders how these 'Gamers' couldn't have known how people have heard about them. "This is the Abyss. Making Pseudospaces wherever you please allows you to be more easily watched, and more easily hunted. It is also an unwise move especially if you make one in the presence of another ability user like myself, as they may mistake it for a message of confrontation."

To this, she was obviously referencing how he just made a Pseudospace to approach her on a whim.

"This is the Abyss after all. Unfortunately alot of people aren't as friendly as you and won't hesitate to kill others to either defend themselves or to further their own goals." Normally she wouldn't say something about that since its completely obvious to her, but... given how green Tian is in her eyes, she figures some things just need to be said.

"Still, your presence does indeed explain why there have been more reports of Pseudospaces popping up randomly in the Residential District lately, so... I guess I will need to thank you for helping me put that bit of investigation to rest."

Then she decided to look him over again. "I would have to ask my dojo if they wouldn't mind taking seven new students. Obviously we wouldn't be able to teach you our clans' more secretive techniques, but teaching you the basics and giving you a better, safer place to train is something I am sure Grandfather wouldn't mind doing."

She holds out her phone. "Exchange numbers with me, and I will see what I can do. In the meantime, just be careful, and don't make Pseudospaces wherever you go." Luckily, phones in Japerica were the handy ones that could exchange numbers just by being tapped against one another.

It made exchanging contact information very handy. Unless of course, Tian-Gui wanted to test whether or not Sumi could recieve and send PMs like he could.
~
"Ah," he said as he began exchanging phone numbers, "about that. You don't need to ask about seven new students. We're all basically doing different things, so just two is enough. Unless you teach archery, HEMA, and katar usage as well?"
~

Sumi shakes her head. "Its not just Weapon usage or Martial Arts that we would be teaching you, although our clan does possess Archery techniques, and punching techniques are useful for Katars."

She looks him over once again. "I don't know how you have been fighting now, but when you are fighting in the Abyss, you can't rely on just pure physical combat prowess." This is something that Rei mentioned as well, although it sounded much more truthful coming from this girl given how much more experienced she seemed.

Rei had around a month and a half of experience. Sumi has probably had years of experience and knew alot more about the Abyss and the supernatural than Rei did.

"Although before I do ask my grandfather, it would be helpful to know if there is anything else your Power lets you do. Does it give you any special mystical or physical abilities?"

There was the fact that they could use Skills, learn Skills just by touching a book, utilize Mana and Energy, had an Inventory. These were all various things that they could do, although how much Tian-Gui wanted to divulge to this girl would be up to him.
~
An all-in-one training package, huh? Though punching techniques could, indeed, be useful for katars, it's still fairly different. After all, katars were still blades, and could definitely be swung and such with deadly effect. Regardless, though, it looked like Sumi had opinions very similar to Rei's: that pure physical ability wasn't enough to survive in the Abyss. A bit of a bummer, really, but hey, whatever.

Seeing no real point in hiding any information from her, Tian-Gui closed his eyes, thought for a few seconds, before saying, "Intensify Energy."

The flames of his soul were ignited once more, as a radiant glow pulsated from his core. Gesturing towards this, he said, "Yeah, pretty much. Looks like it gives us a whole arsenal, as long as we meet the proper conditions for it. I can temporarily empower myself, others can shoot out mana blasts, and that Rei guy has stuff like elemental shenanigans. Apparently, Magic is a thing too, as long as you're smart enough for it."

Popping open his Inventory next and showing off the pocket dimension, he continued on, "And we also dabble in some time-space manipulation, as well as the ability to instantly learn Skills, as long as we pay the cost. Just gotta touch a specific book and boom, book absorbed, Skills got."
~

She watches him use his one special Skill, raising an eyebrow as he chants the ability'so name to activate it. She also seems to appear a bit intrigued at the mention of shooting out Mana blasts.

What especially grabs Sumi's attention though is the inventory, or more like the fact that he pulled something out of nowhere. "That looks like some sort of Dimensional magic to me... definitely something a beginner wouldn't possess."

"Yeah, it's a basic ability for all Gamers though. Literally nothing consumed to do it."

"The fact that you can absorb knowledge from books though... that is definitely the most impressive thing. I have never heard of any ability like this before... it is definitely worth while seeing just what you are capable of learning."

This potentially meant that they could all get some free Skill Books if they played their cards right.

"So bring all of your friends tomorrow if you can. If you can't bring all of them, that is fine."

It seems like Tian really struck some good luck here.
~
"Alright, thanks," he said, "And just one more question. What sort of Power to do you have then?"
~
She sighs a little at the mention of this, wondering just how much these people knew about the Abyss.

"While I have always had a slight talent for using Ki and martial arts, I am an Acquired Ability User. Unlike Natural Ability Users, whose powers are granted to them, I acquired my strength through intense training."

So essentially Abilities weren't something that you had to be born with. They could be acquired as well.
~
"And the interference law still applies to you, right?"

Things regarding that particular law was really getting strange now. If it was possible to acquire superhuman powers through what only amounted to time and effort, then why exactly wasn't modern society aware of this? Why was the 'norm' still so cynical about magic and ki and all that? Gaia, the Earth, or whatever the fuck this all-encompassing entity was, definitely operated in strange ways.
~

"It applies to all Ability Users. The moment you become an Ability User you are a part of the Abyss... whether you like it or not..." At that last part she seemed to avert her eyes slightly, then just looked back towards Tian.

"Anymore questions?"
~
"Wait...how..."

Tian-Gui narrowed his eyes, mulling over something that had been bothering him. If Sumi had been born a regular human, and had acquired her abilities through special training from an Ability user, didn't that already violate the interference law? He rubbed the bridge of his nose, before asking, "How were you trained anyways? Wouldn't attempts to teach someone else about abilities and such also violate the interference law?"
~
"Only if they aren't connected. Because my family is a part of the Abyss, they could teach me. In truth... there is alot about the Interference Law we do not know. Only a Messenger of Gaia could tell you, and meeting with one of them for more than a passing instant is extremely rare. In the end... don't tell normal people about your power, that is the safest way to avoid the interference law."
~
Tian-Gui was, for a moment, tempted to ask how that 'family' thing worked if the Ban family didn't engage in sketchy stuff like inbreeding in order to keep outsiders from learning about the Abyss, but ultimately, even a meathead like himself had some tact. Nodding at Sumi's advice, he said, "Yeah, wasn't planning to until I built up a precedent anyways. To confirm, Port Island and Residential District are safe? I know your family watches over Residential, but what's up with Port Island then?"
~

"The Void Wizard. A person whose identity is completely unknown, but they are said to have enough power to be a faction or clan all by themselves. It is why the Port Island District is the safest." She has a bit of admiration in her voice as she says this.

After all, a person who was a one man army protecting their own territory had to be stronger than strong.

"No one messes with the Void Wizard. They are at a level even ability users stronger than myself could only dream of achieving."
~
"And you know any names to avoid then?"
~
She just laughs a small laugh. "If I had to list them all we would be here all day. Just... use your better judgement, be careful, and don't make Pseudospaces wherever you please. The more normal you keep your life and routine, the less instances people can target you thanks to the Interference Law."

"So while getting stronger is a good thing... you need to be wary that if you use every waking moment for training, you put yourself at greater risk of being targeted."
~
"Welp," he said, "looks like a final question turned out to be a whole bunch of questions. I'd offer to carry your groceries to make up for taking up your time, but you probably don't need that sort of help."

Blowing out the candlewick that was his pseudospace, Tian-Gui nodded at Sumi one more time, before saying, "Guess I'll be heading out now. See you tomorrow!"

With that, Tian-Gui ran off once more, sprinting into the distance. He had a busy day ahead, after all. From zombie-grappling to Pseudospace refinement, there were many things he wanted to do before meeting up with Rei again.

And in the end, standing in the alley behind his apartment, he held that power in his hands. The wildfire that spread out from his core, engulfing everything in silence was now mastered. Sweat beaded off his brow as he stretched his tired limbs, his chainmail shirt loosely hanging off them. Closing his eyes one last time, Tian-Gui envisioned a controlled burn, sealing off the flames at the ends of the alley, creating a small pseudospace.

Basic Pseudospace Creation has been updated with a new function.

As long as you have a clear boundary of some sorts, you can create a Pseudospace that just goes within this boundary, as long as the boundary contains a relatively wide space.

Battles with zombies had been tiring, but rewarding as well. Though his chainmail was pretty much in shreds by now, his grappling had improved immensely, and all in all, Tian-Gui was satisified with the progress he made. It wasn't a level up, but hey, he still had time, and he was still alive. Within that silent space, he brought out his cellphone once more, and grinned at the new contact he made.

Tomorrow was going to be a productive one.

embed.php

Artisia headed home after the uneventful night of drinking. Although it could be said that the meeting was very informational, especially consider the fact that they had found out that alcohol had no effect on their brain. If Artisia could put two and two together, the same could probably be said of other questionable substances that might try and influence the brain. Artisia walked home by herself, stumbling and looking like a blubbering fool the whole way.

When she actually got home, she tried to avoid any interaction with her parents at all. In fact, she was lucky enough to not run into her parents while she was in the state she was in. Of course, since she was very hung over, she had to go to the bathroom more than a few times in the night, but she fought her pain and eventually went to sleep.

---

Artisia awoke in the morning with the window that said she had been healed. She, thankfully, didn't have a headache and could think as clear as the summer sky. Another window greeted her today though, which was a window telling her to meet Rei at the park at 4. She closed the PM and made sure that she would make it. It probably wasn't the most fun thing to do, especially since it was Rei that they were around. Artisia actually wondered what Rei's training would be like. He had said that he would be strict in their training, but Artisia highly doubted that it would be as rigorous as her previous training with her father.

Now that she had gone and woken up fully, Artisia pulled out the sheet of paper she had gotten from Rei yesterday. This homework was probably going to be more challenging than Artisia had expected. She never really read over any of it, so she decided that that would be a good place to start. She read each question and then got really confused by the end. What the heck does all of this mean? I mean... I understand some of the questions, but the gamer's lingo question is really confusing... Like... What's crowd control? "To the internet!"

Artisia snatched up her parent's laptop and filled in everything that she knew she could answer. "Alright. The first one is easy, especially since I've been using it to fight while I've had the power." Artisia typed up her first answer, which was fist fighting. That was, by far, the best way that she knew how to fight. She probably could learn some kind of sword fighting, but fist fighting was much more versatile in her eyes.

The second question had almost stumped her when she originally read it. As she thought about it for a second, she realized that mystical probably meant magical abilities. She wasn't really sure what kinds of magical abilities she wanted to learn, although she did want something that could make her hits stronger. Maybe something that could even make other people stronger too. Artisia suddenly remembered what had happened in the battle between Rei. She had been hit by an attack that was outside of her punching range. And it was a mystical attack. She needed something ranged to round herself out. So, she wrote, "I want something to help increase my damage and effectivity in combat. If possible, something that could help other people with that too. Some ranged magic would help too, especially since I'm weak in that department. (The only reason I say this is because you wrecked me in our battle. I want something to shut an attack like that down.)"

Desired weapon choice? She didn't need a weapon though. Artisia bit her nail as she read the description underneath the question once more. Rei had definitely put this question on there for her. It seemed that fist fighting might not be the most effective way of combat sometimes. Artisia could, at least, understand that. If she was ever up against an opponent with a sword or something, her fists don't stand a chance of blocking an attack from it. She needed a weapon so she could survive. Artisia stopped biting her nail and tried to think of a weapon that could suit her. A katana? No... That would be too large... If she ever did any kind of kendo techniques, that would be too slow and take up both of her hands. She needed some kind of weapon that was fast, accessible, but also large enough to deflect an incoming attack. Artisia rubbed her forehead, but then decided to look something up on the internet. 'What is a sword smaller than a katana?' Hmm... Artisia scrolled down the possible sites, when she came upon a sword classification page, which talked about the different types of sizes for swords. When she scrolled down on the page, she could see that there was a section on long knives and short swords. Under that section, there was a sword called a Xiphos, which was apparently used by the greeks. It was a double-edged sword that was small enough to carry in just one hand, but large enough to probably block some kind of attack. As soon as she clicked back into her little document, she typed in that she wanted a Xiphos.

Alright. Next is... Armor type. Artisia didn't really think about armor. She knew that Tian Gui had armor, but she never even considered wearing armor herself. Artisia thought about it for a minute. Armor... Armor... It seemed heavier armors slowed down your speed, but you were able to take more hits if you wore a heavy armor. On the other hand, light armor wouldn't damper your speed, but you couldn't take as many hits. Artisia didn't want her speed to be a liability, so heavy armor was out of the question. Light armor would be nice, but she needed something to take more hits, especially because she was going to be the front of their attack along with Tian Gui. Artisia just typed up, "If there's anything in between heavy and light armor, please get me that. I want to take hits, but I don't want to be slow."

Now came the gaming lingo question. It was one that confused her very badly, so it took her a little while to figure out what everything meant. As soon as she knew what everything meant though, the question was easy for her to answer. "I don't understand the lingo perfectly, but I have an idea of what everything means. I did some research, so I have a pretty good basis of knowledge for it. My plan for powers and such is pretty set, but since you want me to cover all of these categories, I'll adjust it as I see fit."

The last question was a piece of cake. She literally just pulled up her skill and inventory windows and copied them onto the document.

Once she was done typing up her homework, she printed it out and put it on her desk. "Alright! All done with that!"

Artisia decided that it would be a nice opportunity to train, now that she had finished the homework. It would be a good chance for her to possibly increase some of her stats too. Running was probably the best option right now, especially since she wanted to get her speed up. It would be beneficial to her fighting style, although she did want to inflict more damage. It would be better if she could get more hits for less damage right now though, especially since not every hit was a guaranteed hit.

Artisia planned to run inside of a pseudospace outside her house, while simultaneously using Energize Feet, which would level that skill and possibly increase her Movement talent and score. Three birds with one stone!

"Bah!" Alex slammed his fist to the ground in frustration. No matter how hard he tried, something just wasn't clicking. He tried to force it, he tried to go back to the basics, he just simply wasn't able to get a firm grasp on his mana like he desired to. "I suppose I'll just ask Rei for some more pointers later." He stood up, and dusted his pants off. Raising his hand to the air, he broke his pseudospace, just in time to hear a ploob from a fish jumping in the pond.

Walking into the house, the instinctual habit of a teenager kicked in, and Alex found himself staring into the fridge. "I guess I finished everything that I have cooked lately..." He closed the door with a sigh, he enjoyed cooking, but sometimes he longed for the days of opening the fridge to find random containers with food and his name and his brothers names on each lid. Turning his head to the side, he looked at the cupboard which held the food containers.

Before he realised what he was doing the kitchen was smelling great! The herbs, the vegetables, the meat! The aroma of the three wafting through the air as a pot with noodles sat boiling. I will show them I am useful for something! I am not just a wanna be mage, who can't use his mana correctly! There is other applications to this gaming ability then simple combat! I'll become a master chef as well! One dish at a time! With a sudden tinging noise sounding off behind him, Alex pivoted and poured milk into the sauce pan with everything else. "OooOooh its almost done!"

When the rush of cooking had subsided, he had filled enough boxes for the entire group of Gamers plus some. He hesitated for a moment before placing them into his inventory. "Are these really that good even? I felt the taste was a bit bland, it didn't linger, and it didn't wow." Truly, Alex was his own worst critic. "Damn, I don't have the time or supplies to make another batch..." He started picking the hot boxes up and placing them into his inventory, "I'll just tell them it isn't my usual standard." He nodded as he finished his task.

Artisia
Artisia would run around with Energized Feet, which did indeed have positive results in terms of grinding her Skills. It didn't raise any of her Stats, but it raised the Skills that would raise her Stats. She gained Levels in Energized Feet, Meditation; since she needed to more quickly recover after her workouts, Health from utilizing HP for Energized Feet, Movement, and Focus. Overall, she gained 5 EXP from all of her Levels, and the Levels in Focus and Health did indeed raise her HP and MP by 1.

Overall, for just a few hours, it was a very successful workout, and would help in the upcoming training today at 4 PM with Rei which wasn't too far away now, so she would need to get ready and head over there now.

Shouko and Rei
Rei does nod to Shouko's last question of being able to get her a book when she will need it. And after that, holding up a rotting tooth, Rei summons five Zombies with this Pseudospace and gets to work. Needless to say, Rei makes quick work of three of them with a combination of just regular punches and kicks. It appears Rei was going purely physical for this confrontation, not really relying on any mystical abilities for this first round. Perhaps he wanted to just grind his physical combat Skills, seeming to test a few things in the fight.

Shouko did very well with her Bow and Shield during the fight. She got off some very good shots and, during the couple rounds of Zombies that Rei was able to pull off, thanks to some method of shortening the cool downs apparently, Shouko was able to kill several Zombies and get some good EXP as well. She got to kill six of them with her arrows, two in each of the three rounds.

In between the rounds, Rei had Shouko practicing with her bow, with Rei as the target. He would either Guard against the Arrow and take the hit, or practice dodging her shots. Overall, it was a good way for her to get experience with a Bow on an actual moving human target. It gave her even more experience with the Bow and thus more SP. Throughout the three rounds of practice, Shouko lost a total of 6 Arrows though that broke. A couple of them broke because of the Zombies, and the others broke during the rounds with Rei.

After the fourth round with Zombies, Rei sighed softly. He had been fighting using just physical moves the entire time, only throwing a Palm Wave or so occasionally during some of the other fights. "I think that's enough Zombies for today. Fight anymore and a Boss may show up... and i'd rather not have to fight a Boss Mob for the Zombies just yet." Rei knew that today he wasn't going to have them be fighting Zombies anyway. He had other plans for the New Gamers.

Plans that mainly involved Imps and one other thing. Regardless, he had other plans. Fighting a Zombie Boss was not one of them. That wouldn't be a plan for a long time.

Eventually though, after giving Shouko more Bow training, the time of meeting would roll around. And just in time too. Shouko would receive a new Title as her Bow Use Skill reached Max Level.

Your Bow Use Skill has reached Max Level.
+1 AP

You have reached Max Level in a Skill for the first time. The following title has been obtained:

Skilled Novice
You have reached Max Level in one Skill. This is just the first step.
+1 to a Score of your Choice that costs 1 AP to raise.

And of course now she was prompted to raise one of her Scores, her Score Window appearing before her.

Rei also had a title. 'Skilled' being above the rest of their text above their head. Whether or not Titles were things you had to equip, or just small passive bonuses was another thing entirely though. Perhaps something to ask?

Regardless, its now 4 PM, and once everyone who decides to show up comes in, Rei wastes no time in getting to work. "I hope everyone did their homework. Anyway... while I go over that, I want you all to get into pairs and then fight one another."

It was a rather... sudden first lesson.

"There is a special Skill I want you to achieve. It can only be achieved by managing to stay conscious after your HP falls down to 0... twice. Its called Second Wind, and think of it as... a last resort trump card. It basically boosts all of your abilities for a short period when your HP gets below 0, or can be used manually to boost your abilities, but carries a huge penalty when you do so. And... since the PVP ID doesn't let your HP drop below 0, this means that you all need to be careful not to kill each other."

"Any questions?"

Rei had grown to Level 24 since the fight before, and he seemed to be eyeing each of them now, looking them over for several long moments as he held out his hand, waiting for them to hand him the homework he had them do for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.