The Future of Our Greatest Secret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking the gun with a nod, he laid the weapon on his lap and sat on a log, but kept his back flush with the wood so that he would not fall asleep. He stayed like that for hours, thinking softly to himself. HE was mainly struggling with getting the memory of what happened to him out, but it was hidden under hte haze of his condition. Annoyed, flustered, and not a little angry, he sat there, racking his brain furiously for answers. This helped him to stay awake, but he made no progress as to what it was he saw. Even more annoyed, he looked over at the girl who had saved him and had to admit, if only for a second, she looked peaceful in a chaotic world. A world where people like him were forced to do things he would never had seen himself doing anywhere else. She looked like she had been through the second stage of the war, not the first. The first one was the most brutal of all. HE was alive at the start, and joined it at the end.

When her eyes opened again it was pitch black out, staying completely still she strained her ears listening for any noise as her eyes adjusted to the darkness. It was Tokiko who came into view first, he was sitting across from her keeping watch, he looked tired. Clearing her throat she sat up and stretched with a yawn. "You can get some rest now I can take over" standing she moved over to him and took the gun before returning to her seat and settling the metal over her lap. "Thanks for letting me sleep for so long I feel much better.." she went silent. Had he remembered anything? Had time to recuperate some from his torture been all he needed to dig up that memory? She was a little afraid to broach the subject in case he hadn't remembered. "Has anything come back to you yet?" she asked her voice quiet, yet loud at the same time cutting through the darkness.

Tokiko isghed and looked down, his eyes welling with tears, "N-no...and I should!" He hissed in a low whisper, not willing to give up where they were hiding, "I should know! I'm holding the future of our greatest secret, and I can't remember a damned thing!" He laid down and covered hsi face, "Why can't I remember it?" He felt like he was betraying some of his own comrades, for they had relied on him to get this information, and now he couldn't give it to them, "Look at me, I'm a traitor. When they learn about this, they'll lock me up for insubordination, you know they will!"

She frowned and stood crossing the short distance between their bodies, settling herself beside him she patting his hand. "I highly doubt that, we might be desperate but we aren't stupid. They won't lock you up in a prison for insubordination. It isn't your fault that you can't remember. After what you went through it might be a blessing in disguise. If you had remembered you might have spilled the secret to the enemies. We wouldn't want them to know we had such knowledge. Plus you didn't spill our location or any of the other vital information that could have destroyed the rebels." she smiled though he probably couldn't see that in the darkness. "So in its own way this amnesia is a good thing. When we get back to base they will help you to remember, we will win you just watch" picking up a leaf she shredded it with her fingers letting the pieces drift away in the wind. "Just you watch" she repeated

He nodded, "They just hooked me up to taht machine when they knew I wasn't going to say anything. They would open it up every so often so I could speak, but when I would never talk, they would turn it back on. It wasn't a favorable experience. The issue was the routine would've broken me in a few more days, for the machine takes a month to kill someone..." He shuddered and picked his things up, "I just wish I knew why it was I aws so scared. I should know, but I don't, and I feel like a failure because of it. Some lousy spy I make, entrusted with out greatest knowledge and secrets!"

"You aren't lousy for getting amnesia, you are one of our best agents. It was you that they entrusted to infiltrate the city and learn its secrets. I was only sent to bring you back or if not at least the secret. I have you, they will help bring back you memory. The secret you have I'm sure will turn the tides of this war" she nodded and shredded a few more leaves in her fingers her mind on a different world. One where they weren't under the iron thumb of their government. Shaking her head she opened her hands and flipped them over letting the leaves fall from her fingers. "They will help you gain your memory again Tokiko. I'm sure of it. Now its your turn to rest, we have a long day tomorrow. If we start out at dawn we will reach it by nightfall your going to need your strength"

Tokiko sighed and nodded, "I just feel that, as the rank I now am, I need to go and be stronger for myself. I was taught that I either win or fail, die or live. This inbetween state feels wrong to me, like I did something wrong and froze before I got to either side..." He laid down and closed his eyes soflty.

Status
Not open for further replies.