1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
So, let’s get down to business and get honest with each other. I don’t like GM’ing and you guys probably don’t want to throttle after me either. Let’s cut down the chase and start over.

When I started Golden City I was aiming for it to be a sandbox roleplay where everyone was free to explore the vast variety of the steampunk genre and launch their own games within this universe. Instead, right from the start I was met with a lot of uncertainty and a demand from players to set up proper plots and GM. This all I have tried to meet, but with my own repulsion to GM, with my own inability (be it because I don’t want to, or don’t know how to) to guide a plot this has all so far (as you can see) be very fruitless and tiring for us all. As such I propose we either start over or we just archive it, for I can’t see myself continuing the way I have now.

However, if I decide to start over, how? Well, I intend to give the reign back to the players within the world put available. I build, we write, together. A few things you could write about could be:
  • Origin story; the starting days of Golden City
  • Urban legends; how do some of the urban legends in Golden City come to exist?
  • Thieves den; hey, did you know that Golden City started as an anti-hero roleplay focussed on //drumroll villains?
  • Riot; come on, with such heavy discrimination there is bound to be someone who rises up, right?

I’m going to scrap a few things. The thread where you apply for side stories is going to be done with. I have never been a fan of that idea, unnecessary administration and a hurdle. Main stories will be gone as well, there will be no distinction between side and main stories. I will keep character approval, however. Just to govern some of the content entering the realm, but other than that I will take a very hands-off position as I had actually intended from the start, but failed so far.

Let me know what you think and if you wish to stick around for this change. If not, we can put Golden City down and archive it. If you want to try out the sandbox-way with me, I hope we can write and expand something beautiful (also hit me up if any of the suggestions above interested you…).

Still around if you wish to continue ^-^. And I would love some drama like more profound villains and riots :) But either way, I am perfectly fine with making it a sandbox.

I'm also still around and willing to get this started again. To be honest when I came in I wasn't even expecting a full GM Rp. I have absolutely no problem with the sandbox deal it'skindawhatIwasgoingforfromthestart So whatever works for me. Though I would like to see the end of the riddles if at all possible.

As for the riots..... I remember the Maggot had something like that in mind and I for once would like to throw Raven in that mix. :)

I don't currently have plans in place but for sure, am sticking around.

I'm a fan of Sandbox actually. And I mean occasionally we can all get together brainstorm some big group thread and feed off of each other creatively that way. (I think back to how VD was done. It was pretty much a Sandbox and sometimes there would be tiny plots that would influence everyone. I think if we all work together to help you with those instead of just depending on you to do it all then we could have some fun with this. Because who doesn't like IC drama? xD) I wanna stay I like this place and honestly, I think sandbox rp's are becoming quite the norm since everyone usually has their own agendas to push in rp's instead of following a script. xD (Also let's take it back to OG GC the thieves things was always a personal fav of my but the riots sound cool as well. I think Riots would be easier for us to adapt our characters to rather than the thieves. But the thieves idea was always spicy)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nemopedia
Though I would like to see the end of the riddles if at all possible.

I'm going to push forward with that, no worries. Though it won't be a main and focusing event anymore. c:

Also, thank you all for responding!

So since there won't be a main or side stories, where exactly would I come in as a new member? Do I have to make some arrangements with someone and make a new thread? 8D

So since there won't be a main or side stories, where exactly would I come in as a new member? Do I have to make some arrangements with someone and make a new thread? 8D

One way to go about it is to hit someone up and plot some, though I understand that to be difficult. The Murder Mystery game (chapter 1) is still ongoing, you can join that one since I did promise that I would finish the story.

I was thinking of opening location threads. Just threads for a specific location that is described in more depth, so that the players have more of an idea of where they are playing around in. Though, I'm not sure if that will help stimulate the players.

Do let me know if there are any ideas though.

• Useful
Reactions: Kuno
I was thinking of opening location threads. Just threads for a specific location that is described in more depth, so that the players have more of an idea of where they are playing around in. Though, I'm not sure if that will help stimulate the players.

As my official answer; Yes :P

• Thank You

As my official answer; Yes :P

Let's double the yes's and declare that I still care about this even tho I might not show it all that much -_-'

One way to go about it is to hit someone up and plot some, though I understand that to be difficult. The Murder Mystery game (chapter 1) is still ongoing, you can join that one since I did promise that I would finish the story.

Do let me know if there are any ideas though.
Location threads would be awesome, yes! I struggle a bit more with a sandbox, but having defined locations to interact in would help a bunch.

• Thank You
lmao, shit, seeing a thread pop up in the Help Desk about not getting notifications made me go and check on my things to be sure, and oops turns out I missed or didn't get notifications for any Golden City stuff for like two months and thought it was just totally dead :|

Sandbox type games are usually pretty iffy for me, but I enjoy the setting enough to give it a try. I'll go post for Murder Mystery ASAP (by which I mean probably before the end of the year) now that I see I've left it hanging for a month, lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
i'm down for a sandbox sort of thing? by location threads do you mean just open threads where characters can interact in said locations (a market, a landmark of sorts, etc)?

i'm down for a sandbox sort of thing? by location threads do you mean just open threads where characters can interact in said locations (a market, a landmark of sorts, etc)?

Holy moly am I way behind! To answer your question: yes, that is what I mean. However, don't hold your breath since it has already been a year since I promised location threads and obviously nothing much has happened since then. OTL Sorry, thanks for your interest, though! I swear I'm working on it somewhere, but it just slips my mind often.