The Future is in your paws

Nao looked over her shoulder to see Conatum. She smiled at his and nudged him a little.

Conatum felt her nudge and put his head down.
"Conatum" He said in his deep, yet soft, voice. He didn't move, for he wanted to stay and protect Nao in case anything happened, which he doubted.

"Conatum, can you go hunting for a while?" Nao asked quieter than usual, almost a whisper.
He nodded and ran off into the pasture, where he lowered himself and began listening for any form of creatures.

Akia smiled at him warmly, "nice to meet you Conatum." She watched as he left then turned back to Naomi, "is he your mate Nao?" She asked brightly, it certainly seemed that way. She hoped she wasn't being to personal so she added, "sorry i didn't mean to pry."

Arrow nodded at Conatum then turned his attention back to the girls, though he allowed his mind to wander a little.

A multi-brown colored creature moved forward through the terrain. Venomous green eyes scanned the emerald terrain. his roughened padders covering ground quickly. His muscles rippled with every step, and his auditories swivled atop his cranium. Nasals flared slightly, inhaling the scent of a group of wolves. His pace quickened. As they entered his line of vision he slowed to a less threatening pace. He halted for a moment, watching them cautiously, attempting to hear their converation. The ussually reserved brute now approached them, and when he was but a few tail lengths away, he dipped his head respectfully, waiting to be addressed first, rather than be rude and speak out of turn. Lagos sat upon powerful haunches, as he awaited their greetings.

Akia turned her attention to the large male wolf that had approached them, she smiled warmly "Hello." "I'm Akia and this is my brother Arrow", she said nodding her head at her brother. "We're hoping to be accepted into your pack." She nodded in return, "might i ask your name?"

Arrow had leapt to his feet when he first saw the large male running towards them, but now he was up close and sitting down. He wasn't being aggressive, so Arrow sat back down and nodded to him. "Greetings", he said softly.

"Greetings, Akia, Arrow." he said, his deep vocals were hinted with some sort of foreign accent he had had throughout his life. "May favors shine upon you." he continued his greeting. "I am Lagos, a warrior. "He finished formally. The drake turned his head to look out into the forest. " there was another here? I can smell a fresh scent, though, they are not here to claim it." He questioned lightly, his sights now turning to the group of lupine before him again.

Naomi seemed a little shocked by Akia's conclusion, but only for a couple seconds.
"O-Oh, no. We're not mates at all." She said a little higher pitches than before. "We're life-long friends." She smiled and looked at Lagos. "This morning greets you, Lagos. Conatum was here not long ago, he went hunting for very small game, and I'm sure he'll be back quickly." She said shyly, turning her head to the side so she wouldn't make eye contact with him. She thought quickly of an excuse to leave. "I-I need to find a certain herb in case for healing." She spoke quickly and dashed off without a goodbye into the field of tall grasses.

Conatum had caught two rabbits in the short time he wasn't bored, and was on his way trotting back to the campgrounds, when Nao had ran past him and into the field. He turned his head for only a moment, then snapped it back to the his front view, seeing Lagos conversing with Akia and Arrow. He picked up his pace to a trot and set the two rabbits down in front of the Alpha's den, then slowed down and walked to the lake to get a drink.

NightShade turned at sat up straight " did you see any others when you found them?" she watched Gowron gently, her eyes seeming to glow a strange blue that was barely seeable from the darkness of the den. She noticed his features for once up close, he was almost her bear size, despite everything she did have a speck of unanswered feelings for Gowron, feelings she always excluded. He had gentle eyes, showing some mysterious past she only wanted to uncover, she knew however that even thought he was in her tribe, his thoughts and feelings were completely his own. She forbid herself from intruding in matters that went hers. But even in the thoughts she was troubled she spoke softly "I'm not telling you as your Alpha, only as your friend" she paused " you can tell me anything, I hope you know that, Gowron" she said his name almost lovingly, she didn't want any tension in her tribe. She wanted them to be truthful to her as she was to them.

Gowron answered without hesitation, shaking his head. "No. There was only the pair. At least, in this immediate area. But I do not believe they were followed, or have companions. I was out all night, and early this morning, and I caught neither scent nor sight of any other creature." He listened as she spoke more, her low, sensual voice humming and echoing with authority, but also with....tenderness? He dared not show it, but he was surprised at her again today. She rarely spoke to anyone other than Lou in a friendly tone, and yet here they were. Excitement gripped him, and in a fleeting moment of no self-control, his tail wagged at her invitation. It wagged!

The embarrassment was evident in his eyes for a split second before he regained control, but not before an almost inaudible whine exited out of his mouth. "Yes...I do know I can tell you anything." In the ensuing moments of silence, Gowron wished to dearly tell her his feelings, wished to attack her and pounce, initiating some type of mate ritual, but this was not the time. It was a step forward, but it was not yet the right moment to seize her as his own. "NightShade...Is there something troubling you? Your thoughts seem to be...elsewhere as of late." The way he used her name without her honorific of 'Alpha' felt odd to him. He had never once in his years of being in the tribe called her by her name without saying her title before. What if she took it as insolence? Or perhaps, she would take it as he wanted to get closer to her. Only time would tell.

NightShade looked up at him contemplating his question, should she tell him her troubles or just say she was fine. It was to late now to back down from what she said already that had made him happy, she mentally smiled at his happiness. The thought of her in her troubled state could make someone else happy lifted her spirits a little. But he was still expecting and answer "nothing is wrong" she lied with no change in voice, she shook her bear sized head "I am just lost in thought, often" she noted.

The truth was that she was worried, the gods would not allow her to continue being Alpha if she didn't find a mate within the time they gave her, which was only 1month. NightShade's thought of having another wolf run her pack set shivers down her spine, yet she felt anger and indolence towards herself. Lou had told her she needed to find a mate, and NightShade never listened, well this is Lou's words coming back to get her. She kept a nonchalant happy Alpha attitude.

Gowron watched her respond, and the tilt of his head at her reaction was a sign he was not buying it. Usually, he would take her for her word, but recently...there was something wrong, he was sure of it. Well, almost sure. He always had his doubts, but in this instance, he was more than convinced she was dealing with something that was troubling her. "Very well Alpha," He said as he nodded his great grey head. "I am often lost in thought too. The winds and the woods have been calling me of late. I feel an almost irresistible urge to just...be out there, in the wilderness. Away from all who are disconnected with it."

Growling in amusement, he added, "But I would not trouble you with my urges. You know, Nightshade, The same goes for you as well. My ears are open, and my back is strong. If you need to speak, or need to lean, I can provide what wisdom I have gathered, and I can lend what strength I have. It is a great burden you carry by yourself. Leading us, making this Tribe strong. Never think you are alone."

Quite suddenly, he realized what he had said, and wondered if he had overstepped his bounds. Quickly wishing to change the subject, he blinked rapidly, and his claws dug into the earth beneath him in an anxious manner. "But on another note," He said hastily, "Is there anything else you require of me, Alpha?"

NightShade nodded "that is all Gowron" she hadn't expected a lecture from him, only a simple 'yes alpha, I'll take it to note' would have worked. She sighed, licking his nose and his forehead gently and brushed past him, her side running against him as she walked confidently out of her den. Searching for Lou slowly and licking her face as well "come" she simply said as Lou got up from laying shook the dirt from her body and trotted next to NightShade out of the territory and towards the river. Lou not bothering to ask NightShade why she was wanted.

Gowron cut himself to ribbons internally. She had almost opened up to him, and he had blown it with a lecture and a reminder of what she already knew. He nodded his head as she left the den, and his claws probed the ground and his lips curled back, revealing his fangs in barely contained rage. How could he have been so stupid!? He breathed out, and tried to calm himself as he left the den, walking in the opposite way of where the Alpha and Lou were walking. He needed time to brood, and to let some frustration out on something. Walking without a goal in the camp, Gowron lost himself in his own thoughts, and everytime he played the conversation back over in his mind, he growled to no one but himself , and he swiped out with a claw on the ground, his fur rising in irritation at his own stupid actions.

"Lou are you sure they said only a month?" NightShade growled, watching her face in the river, laying down her nose dipping in and out of the water to hydrate herself.

Lou hadn't answered for a while but she spoke with concern "yes, a month, NightShade if you don't find a mate, you'll be forced to step down" she sighed "NightShade I have spoken with them, you have eluded them twice, but the gods no longer want your evasiveness on the subject, you have already outstepped the rules and they have been lenient. But they will not let you this time" she sat down on the wet smooth grass and eyed the water and NightShade "you must find a mate." here she was stepping over the boundary "the gods have chosen Gowron and you have as well"

NightShade sighed "I have not, you need not impose and assume I have chosen him, just because the gods have doesn't mean I have" she shook her head " I don't know what I feel around him" she looked at Lou and thought.

Gowron sat at the edge of camp, his eyes closed and his ears perked up, listening for what he could not see. After much bashing of himself internally, and other forms of mental self-abuse, Gowron had decided that what was done was done, and could not be undone. He would just have to work with that he had, and that was that. His tail swished back and forth slowly, like a rhythmic timepiece. It was an odd twitch he could not account for, but when he needed to calm himself, it just happened. it was almost like an external sign he needed to be at peace with himself, and have patience.

Breathing in and out slowly, he probed the earth with his paws, and felt the ground give way to him. The fresh air blew past him, rustling his fur and sending refreshing chills up his spine. This truly was the way to live. Day by day, night by night. Just enjoying what was provided for him. He had almost forgotten about the whole incident with Nightshade. Patience will overcome all....He thought to himself before opening his eyes and staring at the sky.

NightShade sighed and stood up leaving Lou alone she walked towards her den, saddened by all that happened, it was true she had skipped out on her finding a mate and they knew it, basically soon the whole tribe would know it soon all of her tribe would know she was a scared failure. That she couldn't have a mate because mentally she was scared. What the gods willed must come true. But at what price? Her head hung low and a saddened look glued onto her face, she stopped in front of her den and hesitated in whether to go in it or to go hunting to clear her mind of its troubles.

Thoroughly calmed, Gowron left his spot, and wandered back through camp. He made small chit-chat with some of the other wolves, and asked them how their days were going. He liked to be known in the pack, and to take an interest in the affairs of others when they invited him. Moving along after talking to a particular wolf about a rather succulent kill he had, he moved on. To his surprise, he found Nightshade just sitting outside her den, staring into it.

Feeling confident and in control, he merely walked over next to her, stared in the same direction as her, in her den. For a time, he just sat there, staring as she did. Then, without warning, He asked, "It really is a nice den. But why, pray tell, are we looking into it?" He didn't even turn to her, but bared his fangs in mild amusement. When he, or his kind smiled, it always looked like a snarl, or a malicious grin, but rather, it was just how their jaws were formed, just like the gods intended.

NightShade eyed him from the corner of her eyes, clearly what she had told him made him even more curious than it should have been. Yet she felt compelled to tell him.....the truth. It was just that finding the right words confused her but she thought and eventually spoke gently "cause I may not be living in it for long" it was an answer that saddened her deeply, made her heart hurt. She felt as if it was about to be ripped out of her chest, and she laid down in a frenzy, still staring at the one thing that claimed her Alpha. She leaned her back against Gowrons legs, closing her eyes she thought to herself, wondering why the gods have chosen Gowron, what qualities did he have that made him suitable for her

Gowron was most assuredly not prepared for an answer like that. She wasn't going to be living in her den for much longer? Before he could ask her why though, she dropped her big body to the ground, and laid herself against him. Gowron was not prepared for any of this, and all his confidence, and calm went right out the window. Instead, a different feeling came over him. He suddenly felt protective over Nightshade. He had never felt that way before. It was not uncommon for the tribe to want to defend their Alpha, but this feeling was different. It was as if he wanted to protect not the Alpha of the pack, but her as another being. He felt a rush of warmth as she touched him, and he bent down, and licked her head with his tongue, trying to reassure her.

In a gentle tone, one he normally used when talking to a wolf in need, he spoke, conveying what he hoped was kindness. "Tell me what ails you, my friend. You know I am here. I will not leave. But come, let us not talk about this in public. If this is as dire as I think it might be, we need to go elsewhere."

NightShade didnt feel like Alpha anymore she felt small and innocent. Like she wasnt the one to rule, she was just the one to obey. The touch of Gowrons tongue made her feel liek he was the only one she needed. "Where can we go?" she asked, her head down low and her body leaned against him, she had an innocent whispering tongue. She looked up at him with her big eyes, filled with sadness and a hint of rage at the gods. They had chosen Gowron, maybe she needed to figure out why they, and Lou were so interested in him. She felt salt water fill her eyes and she blinked all of the sudden. Gowron to her suprise made her heart jump. She suddenly felt compelled to be around him, to be in his presence even if she wasnt Alpha, even if she would be banished, she hoped in her heart that he would follow her to the ends of her days.

Gowron thought about her question for a moment. He looked into the den, and immediately wrote it off. While it was an okay place to talk, there was something telling him they needed to be in an open place. His ears perked up, and he knew of a place not too far from here. He had frequented it often when he needed to get away, and be alone. "I have the perfect place in mind. But you just have to trust me until we get there. We can have privacy, and still be where the wind can flow freely through our fur." He nudged her with his paw, pushing on her back a little.

Noticing her eyes glistening, Gowron felt a spike go through his chest. What could do this to her? She had always been a strong willed female, but even he had to admit that when you let no one in, the troubles never left, they only piled up deep down, and sooner or later, they would grow too big for any one individual to handle. It seemed that this was what was happening to Nightshade. Right then and there, he made a vow to try and fix whatever was ailing his Alpha, his Nightshade. "Come now. let's get moving, lest you put us both to sleep from all this warmth you are giving me." He was referring to the fact that she had leaned even closer to him, and the only reason he wasn't completely leaned against her was that he was seated on his haunches, preventing him from laying fully with her. If he had been, he would have most certainly wanted to retire to the den and continue this closeness of bodies in peace. The mere thought of it brought a stirring inside Gowron that he tried very hard to suppress, but could not. He simply desired Nightshade in every way, and physically was quite high on the list.