The First Ever TFI: Tales From Iwaku (Writing Challenge & Showcase!)

PavellumPendulum

oh, to be seen as the poet, not just the muse
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Romance, modern, comedy, post-apocalyptic, slice of life.
TFI.png

EDIT: TFI is now staying open for submissions up until July 1st!

Welcome one and all to the first ever TFI: Tales from Iwaku event! I'm Pav, your host and fellow lover of the written arts. This event is meant to be an open challenge for the talented people here to both show off their work and read the works of others! Here's how it works: a few possible themes will need to be incorporated by the writers into a written piece of any format, be it a short story, a poem, song lyrics, a manuscript or even a diss track. Whatever they feel works best. Those submissions, at the end of the month, will be posted up for people to read and give feedback on. A public reading of the pieces (with the author's consent!) will also be done in the Iwaku Discord Server, to share more thoughts on each submission.

TFI will officially be open to submissions from May 1st, to May 31st, closing at 11:59 PM CST. The date of the call on the server will be determined after submissions close.

So, what are the possible themes to choose from this month? Look no further, because they are:
- The illusion of power
- Unconditional love
- Mercy

Only one theme needs to be incorporated into each submission, but you're free to use multiple if you want! It'll earn you extra Pav-Points, which have no financial value, but hey, at least I'll think you're super cool.

You might be thinking at this point, are there any prizes for joining? The answer is: YES! No monetary prizes (oops, I'm poor) but the authors of the two best pieces (decided by a vote done by readers) will receivea choice between a free sketch/flat headshot commission from me, or a free bust painting from @Rook! The details on that are down below!

I really look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with and see you soon! :D
Feel free to ask any questions, discuss ideas or profess your undying love to me down below.

• All submissions must be under 2000 words. Any submission longer than this will be automatically disqualified. Please note that if your entry is longer than 1000 words, it might not get read out over call due to how long it would take (it'll depend on how many submissions come in!)
  • All submissions must follow Iwaku rules.
  • The submission should, of course, be your own work and not anyone else's.
  • The submission should include at least one of the selected themes for the month.
  • The submission cannot contain explicit content. Mentions of such things may occur, but you cannot submit full smut. If there is anything potentially triggering content in your piece, please leave a trigger tag at the beginning as well.
To submit a piece, please PM me and title the PM "TFI ENTRY" with this little form filled out to go with it!

Title of the piece:
Word Count:
Chosen theme(s):
Chosen format: (Short story, poetry, rap, joke master list... You get the idea.)

Remain Anonymous?: Yes or No
Permission to read aloud during call?: Yes or No
The voting will take place on the official thread, in a poll! The piece with the most votes grants the author a choice between a simple flat sketch from me or a bust painting from @Rook. The 2nd place winner gets whichever piece is not claimed. These prizes can be transferred to someone else if you so choose as well.

Details on art from me:
- I'm not great with muscled men but I'll try my best for you if you want.
- I do not draw furries or mechs.
- Please provide visual references for me, not just a written description.
- It can take me up to 2-3 weeks in order to finish a piece because of wrist issues, so please do not get upset if it takes me a while to get it done. It will get done eventually.

Details on art from Rook:
-Will provide the winner with a bust shot digital painting of a chosen character with a simplistic background. I will default to semi-realistic unless the winner specifically wants a more anime style.
-Definitely prefer visual reference, especially for clothes, but can probably make due with an exceptionally detailed description.
- Timeframe of 2-3 weeks, subject to change based on complexity.
- Most my experience is in drawing humans or very human-like characters and these are what I am best and most comfortable with. I am open to other things but it does come with the warning that I might not be as good at them and they will likely take longer to complete. Similarly, I might draw a furry depending on the base animal, but I have never done so before and it might not be great.

1618945926304.png1618945948629.png

1623526900607.png1623526923347.png

Last edited:
The submission should, of course, be your own work and not anyone else's.

Does that mean writing works from established fandoms are excluded or more of a " Don't be a jack*** and plagarize"?

Does that mean writing works from established fandoms are excluded or more of a " Don't be a jack*** and plagarize"?

Fanfiction is fine, just don’t plagiarize! The only possible downside to that though would be that people might not fully understand your piece without context but otherwise it I see nothing wrong with it :)

• Love
Reactions: LuckycoolHawk9
It’s May 1st, so TFI is officially open for submissions! I’m hope to see y’all in my inbox soon with some cool things to read :)

10 days to go! :^)

Around 7 hours left, let's go! <3

Just to check, where on the Discord server will the submissions be placed to be viewed?

Reactions: PavellumPendulum
I'll be placing them on a new event thread, while announcing the date of the call, but I'm currently having a dilemma that I've been trying to sort out over the past few days. I received very few pieces (only two :c) and of course I want to continue with TFI, but I feel as though this isn't enough for an actual competition. I'm thinking of opening it back up for another month just to try and get a few more, since maybe people didn't join in because they were busy? Sorry to disappoint ><

Reactions: Dusk and Baddamobs
Ahh, that's understandable, sorry to hear that. I think there may be some weight to the idea that people were busy; I only just squeezed in getting my together because May was a busy month. Hope things work out in either case!

i... am one of those people that was busy D: (and i forgot *sobs*) i wouldn't be surprised tho, if that was the case for quite a few other people!! may seems to have been a busy month.

if you are thinking of opening it up for another month (or even a few more weeks?) i know i would def get something turned in at least! but i would also understand if you might not want to do that!!!

After much consideration, I will be opening TFI for another month of submissions. Please don't hesitate to join in! The more the merrier. I have adjusted the due date to July 1st to reflect this! :)

Pleased to announce that there are now TWO prize options for the first and second winner of TFI! Welcome @Rook to the stage, where they will be generously offering up a digital bust painting for one of the winners. If that isn't incentive to join in ASAP I dunno what is :^) Check the prize info tab for more info!

• Love
Reactions: Dvyniai
10 days remaining! <3

Reactions: marcy and MiharuAya
9 days to hastily crank out a submission, aw yes

• Haha
That's a pretty tight deadline for you. Probs should have started last year :p

That's a pretty tight deadline for you. Probs should have started last year :p

When's the last time you participated in any Iwaku event? HM?

Gtfo. Don't come back until you have team spirit, you l0ser

• Haha
Reactions: Applo
1625081743335.png
TFI closes for submissions on July 1st, at 11:59 PM CST. Get those submissions in my inbox now 🔫
(I just realized I can use a gun emoji here. wow)

Reactions: Baddamobs
1625162374970.png
Such a funny joke that I'm going to use it twice. I'm sure you're all laughing right now :D
TFI closes for submissions on July 1st, at 11:59 PM CST. Get those submissions in my inbox now 🔫 That's in (roughly) 12 hours (more like 11 but I was late oops)

The date of the call on the server will be announced shortly after that!

TFI is now officially closed for submissions! Keep an eye out for the call details and voting poll in the days to come :)

• Thank You
Reactions: Baddamobs