The Fight for Valeroma IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valaina

"Hungry Lad? Why, we've just gotten started! Don't tell me you've already run yourself dry." After a bit of confusion left her when she realized he wasn't replying to her she sat back and wondered if he heard her... or perhaps he was ignoring her. He was a warrior right? Was the topic she brought up some kind of taboo in the warrior code? Honestly she didn't know much about a warriors code, but she knew they held it above their lives... at least that's what one soldier told her. Valaina's head dropped and her hair partially covered her face. She already felt bad for asking... Perhaps Vivian was right, perhaps even Kolmar felt fear.

"Now-" His voice startled her. She popped to attention as he addressed her, her eyes now wide though still focused on the ground just before him, her hands snapped to her lap, and her back straightened. "what's this about being scared, little maiden?" "U-uhh." She stuttered not realizing he was asking her a rhetorical question. "It's Vaeros who should be leery of us." Finally she managed to relax in front of him. She realized he wasn't upset with her, in fact it was far from it. He must have been searching for the right words, that is why he didn't speak to her first. She raised her eyes slowly until they met his however, thanks to past experiences and her own timid nature, her eyes dashed away and she ended up staring at the tree to her left. "I have no reason to be scared of a mere dragon. Ikspar has slain a hot-belly or two before now, and it will slay a few more after this ordeal is over. No, even if Vaeros is ten times as big as the rogues I have faced and a hundred times as blood-thirsty, there is always a weakness and Ikspar knows just where to find it."

That's right, its just one dragon, there are six of them, they have two dragons shifters, one dragon slayer, that tall quick Elf, the female archer, and... well herself. At least five of them were competent... But, he burned entire villages with one breath, and he took on all those dragons, most of whom were strong looking. Perhaps they didn't find his weakness, but looking at the video... The relief he had given her for a second vanished fairly quickly, she talked herself out of it. "But, you saw what he did. Is five-six even enough?" The scenes from the burning villages and slayed dragons came back to her causing her shiver.

What she was doing, it was wrong. She had her doubts but everyone else probably had their own doubts as well. The first step to get anywhere was talking about it. That statement held true to her life so far, "But we have the scroll." She closed her eyes, raised her head and brought a smile to her face, though perhaps it looked a bit forced, but she was doing her best to lighten the mood, "and in the dream she called me a brave soul and told me that it wasn't as hopeless as it seemed so clearly I'm just overlooking something." Holding everyone else back was selfish, she shouldn't even have asked Kolmar if he was scared, "and if Ikspar has a knack of finding weak spots than we have nothing to worry about right? So I really shouldn't be afraid... either." Her voice wavered at a few points, but she managed keep her smile steady.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bitterblue
57ef1878-2834-45bb-aa31-52ea9fa0e9fd_zps38a80ebd.jpg
"If you're offering."

Tysin smiled inwardly as Colleen accepted his offer. He'd been right last night in the clearing, she was a sensible traveler. It was, after all, the first rule of adventuring: never pass up an opportunity for food, you never know when you will next have the chance. He himself took the rule very seriously, although it seemed he usually had more ready access to food than he actually needed and had developed a soft edge to his otherwise toned body as a result. Still, it had been at least twelve hours since he last ate; and for the others who had not taken his offer the previous night, he wouldn't even venture to guess when last they had taken sustenance.

Now that the kerfuffle of the collision had passed, Tysin was finally able to look around to take stock of who was still in this little group. He fully expected to see that they had broken up and spread out, but was surprised to find the motley crew still mostly together. Considering their varied modes of transportation, that must have been a very intentional move on someone's part; although what motive they had for maintaining a tight traveling party was beyond him. Perhaps they were like sheep, following simply because they were being led and not thinking about the repercussions of their choice. He sincerely hoped that was not the case. Defeating Vaeros would be enough of a challenge with a group of seasoned fighters who were able to work as independent units within a greater team: it would be almost impossible with a group who could not think for themselves. Hopefully his initial impressions were wrong.

He held out some of the meat and nuts he had removed from his sack to Colleen and queried as she approached,

"What are your thoughts regarding this prophecy we seem to be caught in the middle of?"

This morning, the spirit had hinted that they might already have answers to some of their questions. Tysin had, as usual, a plethora of questions, abstract concepts, and crazy ideas bouncing around in his head, but they wouldn't do anyone any good if they weren't presented by someone the group would listen to. It hadn't taken him long to recognize that he wasn't the most likeable member of the team, so he would have to find someone who was willing to explore well beyond the box of average, sane, rational ideas and filter them before posing the more feasible ones for group discussion. The sooner he discovered who that was, the better for all of them.

"How about we walk with the group for a bit? It would be good for the group...and we wouldn't have to backtrack so much."

Niklaus nodded back at the other shifter. For what he had seen down there, it seemed they'd be taking some time before continuing. And flying in circles was no fun, so he would just follow her lead. Unlike her, Niklaus wasn't much of a runner. Actually, the more she could avoid doing as a human, the better. After Vivian did, he descended a bit in front of them, also hiding to shape back into a human and dress back on. Niklaus stretched before starting his walk to join the group. All that situation was really starting to stress him out.

His slow pace started to increase as he could feel the delightful smell of meat, realizing they were probably making a stop to eat. And he certainly wanted to be there for it, since his stomach was starting to growl. He had no idea when it had been the last time he took a proper meal, but it didn't matter until that moment since he was pretty much absorbed into their mission. As soon as he joined the group, he looked over to the monk, who was holding the food he craved for. Niklaus might had disliked one or two comments coming from him, but he didn't have anything against Tysin. Of course, he didn't particularly liked him, but once again, he didn't particularly liked anyone from the group. Maybe Vivian, but only for the fact that they shared their shifting abilities.

"Enough to feed a dragon?" asked Tysin, with a slight smile. He'd understand if he wasn't willing to share with everyone, since they were a considerable large group, and he could always take some distance and go for a quick hunt.

[dash=grey]
Though Kolmar had no experience with fear himself, he'd seen it often enough upon the faces of his comrades and even those he crossed paths with on his travels of mercy. Every fear had a distinct flavour, a specific look in the eye, and the dwarf had learned over the course of his years what they meant and various ways to respond to them. There was the fear of losing one's life, fear for family, fear of intimacy, of an enemy, of oneself, of not knowing one's potential. And Valaina, the dear, trembling little creature before him, had so many fears tumbling about her head that she was not sure which one she should be the most afraid of. At least, that was how Kolmar diagnosed the averted gazes and nervously fidgeting ears.

Gentleness, understanding, and a soft nudge in the right direction, that was what he could give her as something to lean on. She merely needed a place to be safe, to voice what scared her, and learn that there was nothing there to truly be afraid of. She had every reason to be here, just like any of them, and when she found that to be true, they would have a fierce warrior on their hands. Someone not to be trifled with. Once they became the team they were meant to be, Kolmar knew they would be a formidable force for Vaeros to reckon with. For all his blustery breath and destructive history, that dragon was still evil and good always triumphed over evil. Always.

In time they would all understand their parts in this unfolding drama, but for now they could be as insecure as they needed to be in order to get it out of their systems. All they needed was one person leading the way, one person impervious to this great Fear, and Kolmar knew that if it was required of him, he could fulfill that role for the group. And so he started with the trembling leaf before him, volunteering his services to be the brave soul for her until she could find it herself. Leaning forward, the dwarf rested a comforting hand upon her knee.

"No, you should not be afraid, maiden," he answered in hushed tones. His head ducked a little as his steady, blue gaze sought hers. "But it is all right if you are. Prophecies have a way of fulfilling themselves and choosing the least of us to make into heroes. Look not at what you are now, Valaina, but at who you can be. You do not need to be the brave soul just yet. You can doubt, you can question, you can come to me with any fears you may have."

Here he paused to gather his thoughts and twist his body just enough to run his gaze over each of his companions before returning to the little elf maiden's. In his eyes were approval of what he saw, determination, and life, and this time his powerful voice rose enough for everyone to overhear. "Know this, Gentle Healer, we are on the side of Goodness and the Light. The Light will always triumph, for the Darkness cannot snuff it out. Vaeros cannot win. And until you firmly believe that, until you are perfectly convinced that you are the brave soul the spirit maiden said you are, I will believe for you."

Kolmar's hand then moved to her shoulder, clasping it firmly. Though his words grew quieter, they did not lose their magnitude. "I will believe because I see it, deep down inside you. I can see it in all of us."
[/dash]

Last edited by a moderator:
Colleen

Colleen was grateful for the food that Tysin proved, however, she was still a little wary of his bag. His bag looked to be almost empty, yet he managed to pull two full meals out of it and supposedly still had more than enough to share with everyone else. Even more curious was the fact that he had pulled a spade out of it earlier, it wasn't just her imagination right? Perhaps that bag wasn't just a beat up old bunch of ragged leather sewn together. Now that was interesting.

Still, while she entertained those thoughts she carefully listened to Tysin's words. She may not think highly of the group, but that didn't change the fact that they were going to be working together for a while, and in order to stay on everyone's good side she must act politely around them. "What are your thoughts regarding this prophecy we seem to be caught in the middle of?" She sighed, that wasn't a question she wanted to entertain at that moment. "The prophecy? I never heard of such a thing before. Of course everyone knows the first bit, at least where I'm from, because they all use it to scare the little children. Though as hard as the entirety of it is to take in I can't just discredit it." For the longest time she thought it was just a made up poem passed around by a clever bard. "After all it's quite amazing how we were all pulled together, I don't think I have ever heard of dream magic... if that's even what it's called." At first Colleen was talking to Tyson, but about half way threw she started to lose focus and began talking to herself instead. Never the less she caught herself and redirected her words back to him, "What I'm trying to say is I'll believe in the prophecy because it seems like the only hope left for the world. I've already confirmed the existence of Vaeros, and it doesn't seem like the Redhead Girl (Nym) is cleaver enough to make something like this up..." With that she glance at the rest of their group before once again returning her gaze to Tysin, "She seems a bit silly, but still, it doesn't seem like she's the kind of person that would lie about such a thing. Still I'm a little disappointing when I look around our group; After all I guess I imagined a stronger looking group eying up a bounty that's worth more than the world..." With that she returned to eating before looking up at Tyson expectantly. She had talked quite a bit, in fact she half wondered if she had talked his ear off, but for the sake of getting more comfortable with those around her she decided it would be better to express herself rather than to keep to herself like she normally did.

"Know this, Gentle Healer, we are on the side of Goodness and the Light. The Light will always triumph, for the Darkness cannot snuff it out. Vaeros cannot win. And until you firmly believe that, until you are perfectly convinced that you are the brave soul the spirit maiden said you are, I will believe for you." A small smile came to her face as Kolmar's powerful voice stole the attention of those in the group. Honestly, leave it to Kolmar to make this adventure sound like a fairy tale. Poor Vala, she clearly had bad experience's with all sorts of people, seeing how skittish she was around them, and now with Kolmar's powerful presence practically drowning her she mustn't know what to do with herself. Still it wasn't like Kolmar made a bad decision. His powerful presence would be something Vala could grab hold of. Hopefully Kolmar would be a stepping stone that could boost Vala's confidence and courage.

With that she started to turn back to Tysin before her eye caught Vivi standing off to the side alone. "Vivi, it's been a long time since you ate last, hasn't it? I don't think I saw you eating at all since I met you yesterday. I heard that dragon shifters need almost as much sustenance as a pure dragon. It would make me feel better if you would at least nibble on some of these nuts." She gestured to the assorted nuts Tysin had handed her. Honestly she needed Vivi to interact with the group. Colleen had already pinned her as the leader, and though Kolmar could possible take it with his charisma it seemed like Vivi had a more demanding demeanor about her. Vivi gave out orders, Kolmar gave out advice. The two were similar but in the end very different.

Last edited:
Vivian, Purple

Vivian was listening to the groups conversations. Colleen had an interesting view on what the prophecy meant, and Kolmar seemed like a very strong presence in their group. She had a feeling that between the three-four...she had to count Tysin as well-they could train Vala and Nik into shape and how to fight quickly. She started a ways out of the group and began to practice. Even if she had no opponent, it was still good to refresh the memory on how to fight, even if it is already ingrained.

"Vivi, it's been a long time since you ate last, hasn't it? I don't think I saw you eating at all since I met you yesterday. I heard that dragon shifters need almost as much sustenance as a pure dragon. It would make me feel better if you would at least nibble on some of these nuts."

The fact that Colleen had been talking to her didn't register for a full minute. She had not been called Vivi by anyone but Emma. Stiffening at the sound of the nickname, Vivian finished her round of complicated maneuvers before turning and walking back towards Colleen, Nik, and Tysin. "Thank you, Colleen, Tysin." was all she said before starting to eat the nuts offered. As soon as they reached her stomach, she realized just how hungry she was. Nuts wouldn't satisfy her...she needed meat...but this would do for now. Protein should keep her going for a few more hours until she could go out and hunt. Seeing as she had overheard their previous conversation, she recalled some of her schooling from her parents. "You were talking earlier about dream magic, forgive me for eavesdropping. As to the redhead girl, she has to be good. Dream magic isn't unheard of, but it's extremely difficult, I've only heard of one successful attempt before this. But it is extremely dangerous, if it goes wrong it could kill both the intended recipient and the messenger. The redhead had to be an extremely powerful sorceress to be able to pull something like this off, to send the exact same message to six people at once. Someone went to extraordinary lengths to make sure we would take on this incredibly difficult task." She finished speaking. She for one, did not like taking orders from someone who didn't seem as mature as a teenager. But they had seen firsthand what must be done. She remembered seeing the destruction wreaked across the world. Vaeros needed to be stopped.

She looked towards Kolmar and Vala. She was probably way too harsh on the young elf. Her eyes softened as she remembered she was once at that stage, afraid, insecure....she saw a version of herself and that was what prompted her to be so strict with her. It was what brought her out of that stage of life, a life of living in fear and insecurity and doubt as to what you could do. But Vala was different as well, she seemed kinder than she had. Vivian didn't know what words would comfort the young elf, but Kolmar seemed to have that under control.

She opened her mouth to speak once more but her eyes saw something rustling in the bushes and heard the distinct sound of bows being drawn. "EVERYONE GET DOWN!" she yelled just as the multiple unknown archers loosed their arrows. Hitting the floor, an arrow just missed her by inches, but another had grazed her arm. Blood spurted from the wound, but she stood anyway and drew her own bow and nocked an arrow quicker than ever. She swore under her breath. She had been too distracted to smell them, or even hear them coming. "Well well well. Looks like you aren't a bunch of losers who don't know how to handle themselves, eh?" said a voice as a dozen scruff looking men emerged from the bushes and quickly surrounded the group. "Took you long enough to notice us, deary." said the biggest of the group. "Yeah, well lucky for you I was quick enough to notice you. You want to get lost before you get hurt." she snarled, her arrow aimed for his eye.

"Us? You talking that we should back off? Threatening us? HA! Look around, sweetheart. Your surrounded and outnumbered. You're going to hand over whatever valuables you have, and come with us, babe. Come quietly and none of you will get hurt."

By the looks of it, the small group of heroes would have their first test. A test that would see if they would stick together, or flee. Vivian would stand her ground. Just then the leader of the group finally realized there would be no coming quietly because he ran at Vivian with his now unsheathed sword raised high. Releasing her arrow a little too soon, it only just grazed his ear. A look of grim determination on her face, she drew her own sword just in time to block the blow from the bloke bearing down upon her. She could see that the rest of his gang had attacked too, hopefully her own little group would survive this.

As their swords collided Vivian started a series of offensive attacks. Rather than immediately beginning on the defensive side, she would rather gain the higher ground. Her swordsmanship wasn't as strong as her bowmanship, but it was still enough to overcome this guy. As the two danced in a spectacular show of swords, Viv's offensive line broke, only shortly. But it was enough. The scruff took advantage of it and launched his own series of attacks, forcing Vivian to go on the defensive. Another man came up behind her, two on one. It was to be expected. She couldn't change here....not with the others of her group so close, it would hurt them as well as their attackers...if she could disarm them, she could likely take them both...as their swords collided, both at the base by the hilt, Vivian attempted a move she had only successfully completed once in her life, she slid her blade up the offending one and at the last minute jerked it out of his hand, effectively disarming him. Smiling, she whirled in time to meet the second attacker. With her back to the bushes, she was not in a good position. She maneuvered the man towards the open field ahead of them, hoping to get far enough.

It seemed the first guy had recovered his sword again, because he was back...no matter. With her back to the field now, she began a steady retreat, getting far enough away. Finally, she was far enough. She met the opposing sword, and allowed herself to be disarmed. Smirking the men closed in on her, no doubt intending to run her through. But she just smiled and ran at them. They had pissed off a dragon...they had no idea what was to come. Changing right before they struck, their swords just bounced off her dragon hide. She roared a loud and fearsome roar. The look on the men's faces was priceless. Shock, awe, and most of all, fear. Turning on the spot, they started to run. "RETREAT!" hollered the leader of the gang. "Not so fast, tough guy." she said. The man let out a bloodcurling scream as she grabbed him in her sharp talons, allowing one to pierce right through his thigh. "If I see or hear of you attacking another group, I will hunt you down and kill you. Deal?" At the mans vigorous nod Vivian dropped him and let them go. Changing back to her elf form, she quickly redressed. Looking at her little group of six, she was glad to see that they had all survived. "Is everyone okay?" she asked as she ran back towards the little band of heroes. She was eager to see how they had dealt with this situation.

Valaina

Valaina was still looking skyward when a hand was placed on her knee; the hand spooked her at first and she jumped so hard that one might have thought she was on the verge of losing her skin, however, as her head quickly returned to earth she realized it was just Kolmar and instantly calmed. As relief flooded her she started to listen to Kolmar's words. He had picked up where she left off and while her words weren't very convincing even doubtful, Kolmar spoke with a clear confidence. His boldness filled every word and it poured out upon her. He seemed to know just where every word should be placed. The way he talked could only be described as artful, she was truly mesmerized. However, it wasn't just artful, it didn't just sound good, it was more than that. Every word he spoke conveyed a message meant to comfort her... honestly she had never heard a more beautiful way of communication.

"Look not at what you are now, Valaina, but at who you can be." What I can be? Honestly, what can I be? What am I good for? Sitting in the corner and healing up a cut? Bringing relief to a sore muscle? Perhaps something simple like assisting whoever was cooking? Though she had her doubts, she knew he really meant that she, herself, could be a hero. That she was able to become one of the brave souls talked about in legends. Honestly it was hard for her to believe. She was anything but brave. His voice suddenly boomed, she cringed under the loud voice. "Know this, Gentle Healer," She could already feel eyes on her and Kolmar, his powerful voice was attracting a great deal of attention. "We are on the side of Goodness and the Light. The Light will always triumph, for the Darkness cannot snuff it out. Vaeros cannot win. And until you firmly believe that, until you are perfectly convinced that you are the brave soul the spirit maiden said you are, I will believe for you." His pause caused her to glance up at him, and just as her eyes met his as a strong hand met her shoulder and held her steady. Undoubtedly Kolmar had a strong grip, just feeling his muscular hand on her shoulder was enough to tell her he could crush a raw potato simply by squeezing it with his hand. "I will believe because I see it, deep down inside you. I can see it in all of us." By the time he finished his mini-speech she didn't have any words left to say, she simply returned her gaze to the ground as everything sunk in. She didn't have to force herself to change over night, Kolmar would be there for her, he would help her become strong. All she needed to do was give it her best shot. Forcing herself to change quickly would only cause her to break... she knew that well enough.

The sudden recollection of her past dampened her spirits a little, even though Kolmar's speech had brought her to the banks of happiness her past had pulled her back into the streams of despair. She shook her head and looked up at Kolmar, a hint of determination in her eyes, though it was still hidden behind her shy nature and doubt of her own abilities, and her lips parted to speak. Nothing came out at first. She hadn't a clue as to what she wanted to tell him. She closed her mouth then tried once more, "I'll do my best to assist the group." That's it? She had so many different emotions swirling on the inside of her, she had so much she wanted to convey to him, but words didn't flow for her like they did for Kolmar. While he found ways to articulate how he was feeling, and knew how to thread together the scraps of thoughts that bumped around inside his head, she couldn't even begin to tell you something as simple as how she was feeling... and with that thought her head dropped, "Thanks."

"EVERYONE GET DOWN!" Her head shot up at the sudden shout, and not a split second later a volley of arrows were heading her way. She didn't have to think about what she was going to do, no she just reacted. Just like when a rock came flying at her from her days in the orphanage she didn't even have to think about what she wanted to do, her hands instantly shot up and a barrier formed in front of both her and Kolmar. While other arrows whizzed past the two of them, those in front of them suddenly stopped and fell to the ground. One might be impressed with her reaction time, but in all honestly she had years of practice that she hadn't even known about.

Still it was too early to celebrate. As soon as the Volley ended she retreated behind Kolmar before moving her barrier closer to Kolmar. "Come quietly and none of you will get hurt." She glanced behind her at the rest of the group but before she could figure out what any of them were thinking her barrier suddenly shattered. One of the thugs crashed through it and swung at Kolmar. Instantly she jumped back only to find one running at her. Thinking on her feet she changed directions to keep distance between her and the thug before batting a stone near her foot in his direction. Just as she struck the stone it became lighter, causing the amount of force she put into it to be enough to send it faster and further. The man brought up his sword to block it but just when the stone was about to strike his weapon she doubled its weight. The sudden weight changed cause the rock to hit much harder than it should have and pushed the man back a step while he tried to regain balance. To those who didn't know her trick she might have seemed insanely strong...

She caused herself to become much lighter before jumping to a ridiculous height following up with a slow which made her almost look like she was floating. This was one of her tricks to get away from the children at the orphanage and later on any troublesome person that she met on the road. It wasn't anything special but it kept her safe and gave her a chance to think. If anything was thrown or shot at her she could simply block it with a barrier.

Before Vala even managed to make it to the ground again she heard a sudden shout, "RETREAT!" The panicked voice had come from just out of sight, but the rest of the thugs seemed to already be turning tail to run. Whoever had given the command to retreat must have held a lot of authority... She sighed, the sudden attack was over. If it hadn't been for Vivian she might have had more holes than swish cheese.

Her spell started to wear off just as the tip of her shoe touched the ground. A slow change of speed happened which caused her to look very graceful while landing. She seemed almost like a ballerina, she started her landing with one toe, before touching ground with both feet and making a graceful dip before standing upright once more. The slow change of speed caused her hair to lag behind and her downward movement to seem almost dramatized. To top it all off her skin was almost glowing thanks to her use of magic. It was enough to make a heart skip beat. "Is everyone okay?" Vala simply nodded.

Last edited:

"Enough to feed a dragon?"

Tysin couldn't contain the inward grin anymore. "Not if your appetite is as insatiable as Vaeros'." he replied in a teasing lilt. With a wink and a twinkle, he tossed Niklaus some of the offered dried meat. "There should be enough to keep you until we make camp tonight."

He turned his gaze back to Coleen to show he was hearing her response while maintaining his open sense of their surroundings. He did not want to be taken off guard again so quickly after being nearly plowed over by Kolmar. "Interesting... So, she's been evaluating the veracity of the prophecy. Definitely not where I was going with that. Has the self proclaimed strategist not yet looked for what will be useful to us as a group in a quest against Vaeros?" As one who survived by quickly judging how a person thought based on their actions, he was usually better at getting answers that were at least going where he wanted them to. That realization gave him pause for thought. "I suppose I haven't really seen any of us actually do much. Actions speak so much louder than words as to the kind of ..."

"Know this, Gentle Healer, we are on the side of Goodness and the Light. The Light will always triumph, for the Darkness cannot snuff it out. Vaeros cannot win. And until you firmly believe that, until you are perfectly convinced that you are the brave soul the spirit maiden said you are, I will believe for you." Once again Kolmar derailed an intriguing train of thought. Blasted dwarf. He had that impeccable timing that was starting to grate on Tysin's nerves.

After giving Vivian a share from his stash of food, Tysin closed his satchel and was about to limber up again for the afternoon run, when he perceived a threatening aura nearby. Without moving, he widened his senses. "2, 5, 7, 8... 10. 10 of them. Looks like I'm about to get a chance to see everyone in action. Good. Now... where would a surprise attack do the least damage?" Tysin swiftly surveyed the area. Open fields on one side, threat approaching from the trees on the other. Finally settling on a rock a few feet away that sat between himself and the trees and a little to the side, he collected himself, focusing on the nearest auras he could connect, his and Vivian's. Forcing his own aura, his intimidating (and somewhat aggravating) presence, away from himself, Tysin blended it with Vivian's bold assertiveness into a new, invisible presence, which he settled decidedly over the rock, leaving a more threatening aura than either of them was putting off at the moment, laying a decoy to draw their assailant's fire. "All set, let's see what happ..."

"EVERYONE GET DOWN!"

"That was quick. Nice to see she has good senses." Tysin thought as he launched himself away from where he had just created the artificial aura, slinging his satchel over his shoulder as he did so. Landing in a 3 point crouch, muscles tense and coiled like a viper ready to strike, he glanced back toward where he, Vivian and Coleen had recently clustered. "Just my luck." he thought, noticing where the arrow had grazed Vivian, "They had to be lousy shots. Probably wouldn't have hit us at all if they were actually trying to. On the other hand, if they can't shoot, they shouldn't be that hard to fight." He furrowed his brow for a moment as he considered the options "This should be a decent chance to see how everyone else fights. I can always get involved if anyone gets in over their head."

His decision made, Tysin rolled his shoulders, tight muscles rippling under his loose shirt as they released their stored energy. He let the motion embrace him, and his body responded in a rolling, unpredictable and almost drunken looking dance through the skirmish ground, sensing everyone at once and no one in particular. He caught himself grinning again as he watched himself. Finally, a little bit of fun to loosen things up.​

Colleen had given Vivian a nickname in hopes of making their group closer together. In fact she had been working on coming up with nicknames for everyone in the group. Nicknames created a sense of familiarity which would raise the groups over all moral and chance of survival. The prophecy called for six heroes. She wasn't entirely sure if they all had to survive but she was absolutely positive they all had to at least make it to the fight with Vaeros. Being a small group with a hard mission they would need to watch each others' backs and cover each others' blind spots; for them to be able to do that, they needed trust. Unfortunately Colleen noticed that Vivi didn't take a liking to the name. No, perhaps it wasn't that she didn't like the name, maybe it was connected to a bad memory. Vivi's father just died, right? Perhaps it reminded her of him? Either way, Vivi was a no go.

At the very least Vivian joined her and Tysin to eat. Almost everyone was talking to someone in the group. Now all she had to do was drag their final dragon shifter into a conversation and they would be set... Geez, what was with these anti-social dragon shifters? At this point Colleen was beginning to wonder if all dragon shifters were like this. She sighed.

Meanwhile, Kolmar was making great progress with their most timid link. Valaina did not need to say much in reply to his speech; the dwarf could tell a chord of her heart resonated with his message and maybe, just maybe, the shy elf would find her footing in this world after all. That was all the satisfaction he needed.

"I'll do my best to assist the group."

"You already are," Kolmar murmured, his hand leaving its perch on her shoulder to rest on his leg. He knew better than to continue on that train of thought, lest he completely overwhelm the maiden with thoughts of grandeur. But it would seem that Fate conspired against him to test the timid elf even before a genuine "You're welcome," could leave his lips. He felt the presence seconds before he heard the swish of arrows-- milliseconds before Vivian's warning: "EVERYONE GET DOWN!"

Colleen's eyes widened. She had made the mistake of letting her guard down. Her father had taught her time and time again to always keep her guard up. Such a lesson had been drilled into her since she was little... and yet here she was being caught off guard once more. Leaving the food that had previously been in her lap to drop to the ground she pushed herself up to her feet. With some stroke of luck the first couple of arrows were shot at random with no particular target leaving Colleen enough time to get to her feet. However as the next set of arrows came flooding in she was caught. Colleen had just gotten to her feet but she hadn't obtained her balance yet. Colleen quickly threw herself back down onto the ground as an arrow flew by.

A sharp pain took her side and instantly her hand clenched it. She could feel something warm dampening her fingers and it wasn't hard to guess what had happened. She had been hit. "Dang," came her voice behind clenched teeth. However this wasn't the time to be distracted by something a little as a cut. The wound couldn't have been too deep, right? An arrow's head didn't poke out too far from the shaft, therefore the wound was at most half an inch deep. It would be fine to treat it later. Colleen quickly pushed herself to her feet.

Now, of all the members of the group, Kolmar had been in the worst position for a surprise attack. Not only was he sitting on the ground, but he happened to be sitting on his rump with his legs sprawled out and arms behind him. Thankfully, though, the arrows seemed to be aiming at.... not at them, but at.... nothing? The slew of arrows had whizzed overhead towards the empty plain beyond. 'Strange.' His brow furrowed, but he did not let his puzzlement keep him grounded for more than a mere breath.

Vivian wanted everyone down? Then he better get up.

Planting one hand firmly on the ground beside him, the dwarf rolled his bulk onto his knees as his other hand groped behind his head to locate Ikspar's shaft. Blue eyes half-hidden under knitted brows scanned the woods in front of him. Three to the left, footsteps of a fourth not far behind. To the right, five more enclosing. One straight ahead, arrow knocked. Ten altogether. Underneath his beard, Kolmar smirked. He could take them all with one hand behind his back. Another volley loosened from the five on the right, but Vala was already up, already moving, and several arrows fell useless to the ground in front of them. A shield. His grin widened. Ah, what a spirited lass that bonnie maiden could turn out to be!

And he was up. Ikspar firmly in his grasp, Kolmar moved instantly between Valaina and the advancing brigands. One stumbled back as a rock slammed into his gut, but the dwarf did not have time to contemplate that as a particularly hairy orc ran ahead of the others with his sword raised, screaming something unintelligible. Raising his own weapon, Kolmar rushed at the brute and returned the scream with a battle shout of his own-- a deep rumble from the pits of his gut that could shake the very earth from its axis...

In a split second, Colleen had decided not to worry about her wound and started to analyze the situation. Safe, safe, safe, Kolmar was fending off one, Vivian two. They should be fine. Her gaze shifted along the land, she noticed every dip, bump, rock, and leaf. It never took Colleen long to memorize an area, especially a clearing as small as this. Her eyes shot up once more, who was in trouble? Who could she cover? Vivian? No she seemed to have something up her sleeve... Kolmar. He was fending off quite a few of them and it seemed he was doing his best to keep them off of Valaina. Perhaps she could be of assistance?

...Hatred burned in the eye of his attacker, hatred and a twisted sort of glee. This one had a grudge against dwarves. But not for long. Ikspar swung back, and with a powerful rippling of dwarven muscle, the mighty war hammer barrelled through the air until it connected with the snarling head of the orc, cleaning cleaving the ugly skull in two. The momentum of the swing kept him going, Ikspar connecting with the chest of another brigand and flinging him back into the trees as if he were but a rag doll. Not a deadly hit, but it would keep him out of commission long enough for Kolmar to dissuade the others of the raiding party from picking on Valaina.

"What's this?!" he roared in challenge. "Already you drop like flies! Come show me what a real brute can do, cowards!"

Colleen stood up, one hand still covering her side as her other reached for her bow. The battle was rapidly changing and, thanks to Kolmar, the bandits were already losing morale. This would be an easy fight.

At his taunt, Kolmar's three remaining attackers brandished their swords and spears, their attitudes varying between outright anger and mild hesitation. Kolmar tossed his thick mane about as his head swung this way and that to locate the heart of the battle. Valaina, for the most part, had safely distanced herself and behind him and off to the left, Vivian had engaged herself in swordplay with two brigands. Colleen. Kolmar's eye fell on her next, locking gazes across the field. She'd been wounded and was caught in the middle of the other attackers with the rest of their party. That would be the epicenter. Pivoting on the unsuspecting thugs, the dwarf placed himself behind them and steered them towards Colleen with wild swings of his hammer. Groans emanated from the fourth brigand as he picked himself up off the ground and staggered after them, but he was no threat. Not yet, anyway.

"Ye all right there, lass?" Kolmar called out to Colleen as soon as he was in earshot. Ikspar connected with one of the half-orcs' breastplate and flung him out of the way. Turning on his heel once more, Kolmar maneuvered his foes until his back faced the archer's weak side.

Her eyes widened, was it that obvious? She looked down and frowned seeing a small amount of blood already leaking from her fingers. It wouldn't take a trained eye to see she was hurt. "I'm fine, it's just a scratch." She assured him with a nod before moving her hand to her quiver. Wouldn't his antics tire him out? Sure Kolmar was undoubtedly strong, but even he couldn't find swinging such a large hammer rapidly easy.

Kolmar had taken up a defensive stance on her right to cover for her, but that did not mean she was just going to sit idly by while he had all the fun. Her hand left her wound and went straight for the arrows packed in the quiver resting on her back. Colleen pulled out four arrows and knocked one, leaving the other three resting in between her fingers. "Was your goal to gain the attention of the entire group of bandits? You weren't planning on keeping them all for yourself, right?" she said teasingly. This was an attempt to show him she was really alright. It would be bad if he was more focused on keep her safe rather than driving back the foe.

Lifting Ikspar horizontally above his head, the shaft connected with two brigand swords aiming for his head. He grit his teeth. His foot shifted slightly to give him better balance. Two against one, the odds fell in his favour. "My goal," Kolmar grunted as he strained against their force, "is to end this as efficiently and discreetly as possible!" Down went Ikspar to throw the two off balance, the brigands faltering and stumbling forward as Kolmar held out a foot to trip one and bashed the other with his head. Only, that accidentally made him immediately susceptible to the arrow pointed at his head from the third...

Colleen heard a loud clang of metal on metal coming from her right side and in response swayed to her left leaving Kolmar just enough room to move a foot back which would improve his stance. She then glided around him in a graceful sweep prepping to loose her arrow upon one of his attackers; however Kolmar had already managed to overpower his foes and they both ended up stumbling to the ground. Her lip dipped slightly at the sides thinking Kolmar really might just have all the fun but before this thought was fully processed she caught the sight of an arrow being loosed, the direction: Kolmar. Kolmar was an impressive warrior indeed, but in this situation, with him slightly off balance as a result of some fancy moves that helped him not only over power but also temporarily disable the thugs, there was no way he was going to safely block or dodge the arrow.

Colleen immediately dropped the arrow she had previously prepped, stretched forwards and wrapped her hand around the oncoming arrow. Her movement stopped the speeding arrow however it wasn't without consequence. It skid along her hand, ripped through her glove, and gave her a painful burn. She was relieved. Colleen had hurt her hand, but saved a life. That, in her opinion, was a fair trade. "Kolmar, after this, I would sincerely like to hear your definition of discreet." She retracted her arm and knocked the arrow she just caught noticing another thug aiming at Valaina's back. Colleen turned on heel planning to hit the archer before he could loose the arrow but she was too late. As soon as she finished turning the arrow was slipping through his fingers. She changed her target and loosed an arrow of her own. Normally Colleen only shot when she was absolutely positive her arrow would meet its mark, however this time... well a life was on the line.

Both arrows suddenly slowed down just before they made contact. Tension welled up inside Colleen as she watched the arrows come closer and closer, if she was a fraction of an inch off the arrow would still manage to hit Valaina... she could feel her heart beating. Colleen took a deep breath and attempted to calm herself just as the arrows hit. It seemed lady luck was on their side, the arrows collided and were knocked a little left and a little right of Valaina. She couldn't help but let out a sigh.

The third bandit, thwarted in his plans to bury an arrow deep into dwarf hide, now switched to his sword and prepared to battle the duo with melee combat. After Colleen's fancy maneuvering with her re-purposed arrow, the startled fourth brigand seemed to be thinking twice about joining his team in their attack. That made three moving targets and Ikspar's head had buried itself into the earth on that last swing. There was no time for chuckling at Colleen's quip... not yet. Kolmar released his hold on the war hammer just long enough to spit onto his palms and rub them for traction. Then with a heave-- tired muscles straining more than they ought-- and a shout, the dwarf pried the massive weapon from the clinging clumps of dirt and arched his back to raise Ikspar behind his head like a golf club.

'Wait for it...

Wait for it.....'

"Colleen! Duck!"

Once again she had dropped her guard and didn't notice. Although she hadn't understood what he meant at first, the hammer swinging level to her heard cured her confusion. She quickly dove forward, just left of Kolmar, and rolled to a crouching position just behind him. Down and across swept Ikspar, sinking its metallic bite into the neck of the first advancing brigand. But the hammer didn't stop there. Building up momentum, Ikspar swung its wielder around for a second attack, missing Colleen's back by a hairsbreadth the moment she dove forward. If she hadn't dodged the second swing she would have ended up legoless. Ikspar barrelled through armour, flesh, and bone as it separated two torsos from their legs. Three bloody bodies and their dismembered parts lay quivering on the red-spotted earth. The sword of the fourth brigand clattered to the ground as he backed away slowly, his hands upraised and his face white.

"Remind me to never stand between Ikspar and a thug again." Colleen lightly whispered with a sigh as she stood to her feet and sent an arrow threw the heads of the three dieing bandits. Sure these men were the lowest of the low, trying to pick on weary travelers in order to make some easy gold, but that didn't mean she wasn't going to end their suffering as soon as possible.

"RETREAT!" came a cry from somewhere behind him and the few survivors disappeared as quickly as they'd come. Ha! They had won the day!

The dwarf then turned to address Colleen, but the shining scales of a white dragon arrested his attention. A look of incredulity overcame his features. Dragon?!? Vivian had turned into a dragon? For a mere handful of overly zealous bandits? Was she that incompetent with her sword? Her bow? Her magic? Or was it worse? Slowly, he picked his jaw up from the bottom of his beard and turned it into a frown. Had she done it to show off? Oh, that he had taken out all of the brigands before they could have gotten away! Tongues would wag far enough of a mixed race group like theirs, but to have a known dragon-shifter would only spread the rumours farther!

"That," said Kolmar at last, his finger pointing disapprovingly at Vivian, "is not my definition of discreet. Half the bloody country will likely know of us before nightfall-- the elf-dragon who condescends to travel with a dwarf."

Colleen followed with her eyes. She couldn't help but agree with that. Kolmar's actions certainly were discreet compared to what Vivian had done. "True, and though I would have liked to be unknown for a while longer I can't say this turn out is bad. There are many ways to win a war and the smallest things can change a battle. My father, for example, made an entire army retreat simply by spreading a well thought out rumor. Perhaps 'the elf-dragon who condescends to travel with a dwarf' tail will be exaggerated each time it's told until it sounds as great as some of the hero's of legend. I'm sure that's what Vivian was thinking when she changed forms." Colleen couldn't let the group look down upon Vivian. The entire group needed to have good chemistry, any bit of doubt or tension between any of the members could cause the group to fall apart. "And of course we don't have to leave that up to the bandits, though I'll assure you if they spread the tail they'll exaggerate it tenfold in order to save their pride, we can certainly have a part in spreading the tail ourselves... though I wouldn't mention it was us. It'll work in our favor. Kolmar, imagine the tale we could weave. A handsome dwarf whose strength can overpower ten muscular men and sending them all flying, two powerful dragon shifters who are experts in both of their forms, an elven female magician who's magic transcends even the magic of the ancients, an elven monk who cannot be hit, and a human archer who can accurately shoot between the small gaps in armor from over a dozen yards away." She purposefully added handsome before dwarf in order to flatter Kolmar. His weakness seemed to be those of the opposite gender and she was sure a little sweet talking would encourage Kolmar to agree with her.

Colleen had already worked her plan out in her own mind. Spreading a rumor such as that would eventually make its way to Vaeros's ears and he may even feel a little threatened by it, depending on how great a tale they could weave. If they themselves spread the rumor while talking in third person no one would suspect they were really talking about themselves. At the very least, this tale might give hope back to the people of this world which would only help raise their own morale.

"What do you think?"

Try as he might, Kolmar could not give Vivian the benefit of the doubt as Colleen did. He was quite certain no such thought had entered her head as he did not view the dragon-shifter as particularly devious. However, such a positive look on the outcome was not lost on the dwarf. Too much blood and the frenzy of battle had clouded his judgments and loosened his tongue. Kolmar could have cursed himself if he'd been in the habit of doing so. He considered how lucky he was that his guard had been lowered around the archer and not Valaina. But, he was aware of himself now and therefore did not voice his objections and concerns to Colleen's wishful thinking; her comments even going so far as to coax a half-smile from his frown.

She found him handsome, eh? No doubt such a pointed compliment had been meant to appease him, but Kolmar's ego seldom needed such stroking. He was above that. However, it still did not go unnoticed.

When Colleen finally drew breath enough for him to slip in a word, he merely shook his head and said with a heavy sigh, "Aye, it could make a pleasant tale, but I sincerely hope Vaeros does not get wind of it and seek to end us before we're ready for him."

Just then, the knots in his stomach gave way for an undeniably loud grumble-- the first sign that his gut was waking up from its hibernation. And no wonder! That little workout had burned up quite a bit of his stored energy. Instantly, the dwarf turned on his heel to locate the fancy-footer.

"Tysin! You wouldn't happen to have a tankard of ale hiding with those nuts in that pack of yours, would ye?"

Niklaus

"Not if your appetite is as insatiable as Vaeros." Niklaus grinned back at the monk. It'd be quite problematic if that was the case. "There should be enough to keep you until we make camp tonight." He nodded, trying to look grateful without the need of words, and grabbed some of the offered dried meat. The dragon-shifter didn't have anything else to say, but it wasn't a strange thing. He had to admit that, even if he hadn't always been like that, he was getting quite antisocial with all the time he spent as a dragon. Of course, he didn't care about it until that moment, since he hadn't been forced to interact with a group before. He did just well on his own, but he hadn't contribute with anything else than a few comments since he became part of those Six (apparently randomly) chosen ones. Anyway, he decided to just take a mouthful of the food and hear the conversations going around, taking another moment to understand all those people he had to work with.

"But it is all right if you are. Prophecies have a way of fulfilling themselves and choosing the least of us to make into heroes. Look not at what you are now, Valaina, but at who you can be. You do not need to be the brave soul just yet. You can doubt, you can question, you can come to me with any fears you may have." The dwarf's speech caught his attention as it did to the rest of the group. "Know this, Gentle Healer, we are on the side of Goodness and the Light. The Light will always triumph, for the Darkness cannot snuff it out. Vaeros cannot win. And until you firmly believe that, until you are perfectly convinced that you are the brave soul the spirit maiden said you are, I will believe for you." Even thought, unlike Valaine, he was stupid enough to not be afraid of his mission, he still wondered why he had been chosen with all these experienced strategists and fighters. He usually trusted his abilities, but he just couldn't ignore the fact that he didn't fit completely in. Vivian, Tysin, Kolmer, Colleen... they all looked really determined about what they were doing, while he was only trying to look that way. But, anyway, those words gave him the motivation to at least try to find his place in that small group. He'd... he'd also do his best for the group, although those words seemed to mean even less inside his head than the ones spoken by Valaina. For the moment, he had listened to everyone else and tried to do as they said, but it was clearly not going to be enough. With another bite, he had already finished the dried meat. Clearly not enough to feed a dragon.

"EVERYONE GET DOWN!" Niklaus took a dangerous second before reacting to those words. He was fast... for a normal and untrained human, which made him clearly the slowest one of them all. Damn, he shouldn't be so relaxed while in that shape. It wasn't until he was on the floor that he could give the situation the sense it lacked from. They were under attack. A group of - he couldn't tell how many - miserable, disreputable thugs had surrounded them. And he still had food in his mouth, which he had to immediately swallow, trying not to choke. The arrows came from all directions, and he had to move before getting his soft skin struck by one. He was so annoyingly vulnerable as a human that he had to be extremely careful from those poor attacks. Niklaus crouched away from the rest of the group, trying stay low enough to avoid them. Anyway, his right thigh was touched by an arrow, which made a short cut along it. Definitely nothing to worry about, but still enough to piss off a dragon.

His skin shifted into brown scales as soon as he assumed it was safe, and he instantly turned to look at the direction of the archer that had reached him. He found the eyes of the disgusting orc and locked them with his own. The fear inside him traveled to his trembling hands as he loosen another arrow to his direction. The thug missed him completely, but the arrow's head still made contact with the side of his left wing. It was still far from going through his scales. Less than a second later, Niklaus had already lunged at him and was going after his neck, separating his head from his body in no time. With blood pouring from his fangs, he turned to stare at his next pray. Another thug was shockingly watching the scene, and the only thing that kept all his members in the right place was the voice of his leader screaming.

"RETREAT!" was what returned the creature to reality and made him escape. Niklaus throat instinctively heated up, his fire craving to burn the few survivors before they could run away. He contained it, because even if he could easily control it to only hit his targets and avoid harming his mates, he doubted starting a fire on the woods would be something anyone would approve. So... he just let them go. He normally wouldn't, but they had probably learned a lesson already.

Niklaus turned back while he was a little away from the group, and cleaned the blood before joining them back, even if he still felt that metallic taste in his mouth. His cut made him limp slightly, but the pain was being easily ignored.

"That," he heard Kolmar starting to say towards Vivian, as he approached from his back. "is not my definition of discreet. Half the bloody country will likely know of us before nightfall-- the elf-dragon who condescends to travel with a dwarf." It seemed that he hadn't seen him turning to a dragon... And he agreed that it hadn't been a smart move. But, in his case, he didn't have much of a choice. Nik nodded at Vivian and heard Colleen's proposal. Even if her words made him look better, he thought that anything that could encourage Vaeros to come after them wouldn't be a good idea. They needed to at least have some surprise to their advantage to have a chance against him. He awkwardly scratched the back of his head before giving the dwarf a heads up that he had also been spotted as a dragon.

"Even if we decide not to spread the tale by ourselves, I'm pretty sure they'll start talking about the elf-dragon who travels with a dwarf... and a human-dragon."

Last edited:
Vivian, Purple
Vivian changed back to human form, the tight clothes she was wearing before clung to her skin. She had found a way to change without ruining her clothing, they just had to be tight. Pulling on the spare clothes she had in her pack, which she had thrown behind her when she changed, she turned to jog back to the group to see how they fared in their first skirmish.

Some might say her changing would be foolish...but she believed that the second you didn't use all the strength available to you, you would be dead. She was also not an expert with the sword, and two on one didn't favor her strength, and skill she had. They had been too close for her to use her bow.

She hadn't been out of sight of the group, so she saw the carnage that they had left behind before she jogged into camp. Groaning inwardly at the loss of life, she slowed to a walk and looked around, doing a head count. Vala seemed okay, if a little shaken up, Colleen had been struck with an arrow, but it seemed to be a flesh wound, Kolmar was looking dour, and a little grumpy. Nik was fine, and she smiled at him. Tysin didn't have a scratch on him. She nodded, everyone was here, and alive. While some of them were hit, she was sure it wasn't anything past what Vala could heal, although if she put it that way it would sound insensitive...so she kept it to herself. She decided to see what Valaina, along with everyone else, would do in the aftermath of the skirmish.

She took a second to block out the sense of smell. The smell of blood was going to drive her crazy, she had hoped they would avoid killing until they absolutely had to...loss of life like this was needless. It could have been avoided. Maiming would have done the job. She kept her face neutral through all these thoughts so no one could tell what she was thinking. She drew in a breath, ready to say what needed saying.

"Good to see you all know how to fight, although that was obvious before this all happened." she paused, she never was one for giving speeches. She always liked to get straight to the point of things, it made things easier. But nothing about this task handed to them was easy. She looked around into the others faces, when she met Kolmar's gaze, she blinked once in surprise. A look of strong disapproval was there, and she guessed why. But she ignored it for now, and continued. "We need to clean this place up, leave no trail of what happened and then continue on our way. It sounds insensitive to the dead, but it needs to be done when the needless loss of life happens." Those last words slipped out before she could stop them. Vivian closed her eyes and rubbed her temples with one hand. It was out, now she needed to defend it. "It may sound foolish to some, but all life is valuable. We could have used these men. We could have used them to be our spies. They could have gone to work for Vaeros undercover, but I don't see much of a chance for that now, what's done is done. Foolish as it may seem, an enemy of our enemy is our friend." Man she was NOT good at this. Her voice shook slightly near the end. What they must think...she was weak, pathetic and not a worthy leader...but she was none of those. Confidence slowly worked its way into her next words. "Ranting aside, we did good. While some of us are loners and prefer to fight alone, others know how to fight together, and form a team. When we get to our destination, we need to train. We need to know each others weaknesses, strengths, mindsets. We need to become a unified team, who can think together, work together. Some of us, myself included, will need to learn how to work with a team. Some of us have never had the need to work with others, so they operate best alone. But I am sure that if we work together, and are patient with each other, we will learn how to fight together, how to work together, and most of all, how to be a team that can defeat the monster that has been destined to lay waste to this land." Emphasizing the last words, she met Kolmar's gaze once more. Hopefully, he understood. Hopefully he didn't think her a complete fool and dismiss her claims like she was a child. She tried to be strong, but so much has happened, she didn't know how much longer she could keep it together...maybe instead of being the leader, they could all lead? They could all talk together, think it over and make decisions as a group. It sounded better than one person leading and making many mistakes which causes the group to lose morale.

She nodded, finished with her speech. She started to drag the bodies into a pile on a rock, hoping others would join in. Nik could burn them with his fire, and it would be over. It helped to have something to do, kept her mind off the seemingly impossible task ahead of them...

Vaeros
Vaeros was not good at waiting. His first instincts were to go straight to conquering the other races, but to fully gain control with no questions being asked, he need to establish his rule, to make sure there would be no rebellion. So he waited. He set strict rules, no one was to leave the kingdom without his express permission, no meetings of three or more, and the like. Some of the dragons there were eager to serve him. They had long awaited someone to overthrow the previous leader and take control. Someone with a ruthless hand like Vaeros. So Vaeros had a group of followers that would do his dirty work within the kingdom for him.

Vaeros started to be the leader he wasn't. He cracked down on any little thing wrong with harsh punishments. His group of barbarians, as he called them, would go among the peoples and uproot any plans of rebellion. On one such occasion, an uprising occurred. Before anyone could react, the rebels had killed at least 2 of his barbarians. Vaeros was furious. As the rebellion escalated Vaeros himself went down and personally took care of the problem. Raining fire down among the rebels through his huge maw he stopped the rebellion momentarily. Before it could start up again, he charged directly at the leader of the rebellion. It was a very short fight. Vaeros didn't even have a scratch on him before he snapped his opponents head clean off his body. Once the leader of the rebellion was dead, everyone gave up. He had been the glue that held the clan together. Vaeros decided he could not let this go unpunished, of course he couldn't.

He and the rest of his barbarians took the remaining rebels and their families up to the town square that was still tainted red from the blood of the Massacre, no matter how hard they scrubbed it, it wouldn't go away. "For all those out there who dare to defy me. These dragons have openly declared that they don't care about the rules, they don't care about order, they only care about what they want. The punishment for rebellion is death. And not just your own death, but the death of your family too." at his order the rebels and their families were executed in front of everyone. From that point on, everyone kept to themselves, deciding it was not worth the risk to try to rebel and overthrow Vaeros.

It seemed that the Dragons had fallen. The once noble and majestic race was no more. While the wise were still among them, they weren't foolish enough to openly declare war on Vaeros...yet. The oldest of them remembered the latter half of the prophecy...he had been the former leaders brother. He knew there was still hope, so he urged others to be patient, wait for the right time.

After things settled down, the people seemed more willing to obey. Vaeros had won. Vaeros gathered a group of strategists together to figure out the best way to attack his next target: The Dwarves.

Valaina

Although Valaina didn't agree with Vivian's first statement, "Good to see you all know how to fight," She did agree that killing the bandits was a bad thing. In fact she would have been happiest if they had just hit them over the head and knocked them out... or something. In her mind maiming was just as bad. Permanently damaging ones body was a bit harsh, in her mind. Then again, she was a healer and she understood those kinds of injuries better than anyone. If you lose a finger magic can grow it back, but if you lose an arm or a leg... She couldn't help but let the edges of her lips pull down.

She pulled herself out of her thoughts and finally took the chance to look around. Her gaze moved from Vivian to the bodies, then over to Tysin, and finally they past over Colleen and Niklaus. Only then did she realize they had been hurt and quickly her frowning face portrayed her worry. Vivian was still speaking but healing injuries came first. She could listen and heal them both... maybe. Just as Valaina hesitantly made her move towards Niklaus, whom looked to be in more pain, Vivian stooped speaking and she froze. The first thing that came to her mind was that she had somehow offended Vivian, but a quick glance in Vivian's direction relieved her of that thought. "Um, Niklaus." She said already fumbling her words, "Do you want me to," She pointed at his wound finding it too hard to continue speaking. Her heart was beating much too fast and she was positive everyone else could hear it. Valaina never liked to start a conversation, especially with someone she wasn't exactly comfortable with... and Niklaus was that person.

After saying that she glanced quickly at Colleen before moving her gaze to the ground, unable to maintain eye contact with anyone. Why did it have to be the two humans that got injured? Of course it wasn't that she hated humans, she had lived with them for many, many years. But she was wary of humans. Some treated her nicely, far more didn't. Though she noticed the further she got from her home town, the nicer the humans got.

Last edited:
  • Love

"Vivian." The single word cut across the space between them like a slap on the face, its tight, barely controlled challenge obvious to all. "Control your emotions. Let her know your displeasure without letting it get to your head. Anger is not always justified, make sure you have reason for wrath before acting on it. Even negative confrontations can strengthen if they acknowledge strength and draw out weakness. Ensure opportunity is given to change." As usual, the commentary in his head rattled out instructions from his days of training, even while his instincts carried him into action. Rolling his shoulders from their previously relaxed position until they sat square and firm, Tysin stepped deliberately in Vivian's direction. He waited long enough to be sure she heard him before continuing.

"You presume much and condemn broadly with your speech, doing injustice to both yourself, and your companions. Ever since the clearing you have been giving directions and speeches as if whoever, or whatever has brought us together appointed you as the leader of our little band. As you said this morning, we need to trust each other, and judging people you have known fewer than twenty-four hours isn't a great way to start. I agree that we need to train together to know our weaknesses, strengths, and approaches as a team and begin to act as a unit, and that will come with time, but I am here now because I chose to follow a vision. It was a vision of free people, not ruled by a dictator doing as he pleases and destroying anyone he doesn't like. I can leave by my own choice any time I feel that we are not pursuing that vision.

"I do not need to be upbraided by a teammate who cannot yet even begin to understand why I act the way I do. You may not like to see death; we are elves, after all, and death to us is unnatural and foreign, but others may have just as valid a reason to be quick to shed blood. Until we have had time to learn who we are as a team, I propose that we agree on where we are going next, and get there as soon as possible. Then we can discover, in relative safety I hope, who we are and how we work as a team."

Tysin's brooding eyes remained focused intently on Vivian through his entire speech. His breathing was slow and measured, even while his blood coursed through his veins in heated anger. How would she respond? He didn't know how much longer he could put up with her if she insisted that she was the only one who had a valid perspective and plan on how things ought to go. He would answer Kolmar's request for food later, this needed to be dealt with now. And so, he waited.

[dash=grey]
Kolmar wasn't sure if Tysin chose to ignore the dwarf out of spite for refusing his kind offers of food twice in a row [and partly mocking him the second time] or if his reasons were completely valid and non-devious. To even contemplate that one of his party would condone such a childish tactic as the former only solidified his desperate need for sustenance. Already his limbs quivered with exhaustion. He lowered Ikspar's head to the ground and leaned heavily upon the shaft. Unlike his indomitable entrance to the grove last night, this time he needed the full support of the stalwart hammer.

Oh, how long had it been since he'd pushed himself like this?

More importantly, how much longer could he go without a proper rest and recuperation?

But they had to press on. That one point rang loud and clear even through Vivian's patronizing remarks and Tysin's quick rebuttal. The brigands had come, seen, and would return again to vanquish. They had no time to stand here quibbling. Even now, the ones who had escaped could be amassing stronger forces, rallying their comrades into a killing frenzy. Who knew how many men, women, and children would suffer because he had failed to staunch that bloodlust? Because of the folly of the dragon. Dragons. If Vivian felt so strongly about the deaths caused here, why hadn't she changed first thing and scared off the attackers before they could cause any damage? How could she lecture when her own actions and convictions failed to line up?

Needless loss of life? Using the brigands? Preposterous! None of these greenlings had seen the carnage blind greed and rage could elicit. Vivian herself seemed somewhat shaken up from the ordeal and naive in regards to corrupted human hearts. If they stayed here much longer, she would truly see what folly she spoke and they would all pay for their hesitance. Kolmar did not want that. What a grievous lesson it would turn out to be! Enough damage had been done in letting the outlaws escape. The only way to rectify the situation even a little bit was to leave immediately. On that one point, the dwarf could agree with the she-elf.

Not without food, though.

Kolmar pursed his lips together and kept his council to himself, keen blue eyes taking in the confrontation before him. Yes, they must discard the evidence and leave, but he needed to eat before he moved from this spot and Vivian needed to truly take in everything that had just happened. Understand the consequences. Come to her own conclusions and learn from mistakes. With Tysin pointing his finger at her, the dwarf felt no need to voice his own concerns. Vivian already knew he disapproved of how this skirmish had resulted by a simple exchange of looks. If she sought to learn and grow-- which Kolmar had every hope was the case-- another critique would help nothing. His task was to guide.

After food.
[/dash]

Reactions: Kelairn
[fieldbox=Vivian, Green] [dash=lightgreen]
Vivian watched Valaina interact with Nik, a small smile rising to her face at the young elf's shyness and awkwardness. Vala seemed to be a very kind soul, and she had misjudged her in the beginning. She looked at both Nik and Colleen, both of them wounded. She met Nik's eyes briefly, and nodded, knowing they had each others backs in this.

"Vivian."

Tysin's challenging tone snapped her out of her trance. Her face automatically hardened into a stoic expression, showing nothing but determination.

"You presume much and condemn broadly with your speech, doing injustice to both yourself, and your companions. Ever since the clearing you have been giving directions and speeches as if whoever, or whatever has brought us together appointed you as the leader of our little band. As you said this morning, we need to trust each other, and judging people you have known fewer than twenty-four hours isn't a great way to start."

A fierce snarl escaped from Vivian's lips against her will. She bit her tongue, however, deciding to hold her anger in until the rude elf finished. She met Kolmar's deep blue eyes and held the fierce stare. She could tell by his posture that he disapproved of the way she had handled herself, the outcome, and her evident lack of leading skills. Seething, Viv looked back to Tysin as he continued.

I agree that we need to train together to know our weaknesses, strengths, and approaches as a team and begin to act as a unit, and that will come with time, but I am here now because I chose to follow a vision. It was a vision of free people, not ruled by a dictator doing as he pleases and destroying anyone he doesn't like. I can leave by my own choice any time I feel that we are not pursuing that vision.

Vivian barely controlled her urge to sink her dragon teeth into his throat then and there. A low guttural growl escaped her throat, signalling she was near the edge of her control. Her arms crossed across her chest, a posture she picked up from the humans she had briefly interacted with in a mission a while back.

"I do not need to be upbraided by a teammate who cannot yet even begin to understand why I act the way I do. You may not like to see death; we are elves, after all, and death to us is unnatural and foreign, but others may have just as valid a reason to be quick to shed blood. Until we have had time to learn who we are as a team, I propose that we agree on where we are going next, and get there as soon as possible. Then we can discover, in relative safety I hope, who we are and how we work as a team."
The elf finished his little rant with a flare, challenging her. Vivian couldn't keep a hold on her anger much longer. Instead of responding the way she wanted, with anger, raised voices, her teeth sinking into his chest, she closed her eyes and took several deep breaths until her heart slowed, and her anger was once again under her control. When her eyes opened, they were hard as stone.

"You dare to presume to know me, Tysin?" her voice came out cold and steel-like, conveying her anger far better than her shouting would have. "You dare to accuse me of dictatorship?" Her steely eyes held his fierce gaze as she left the tree she was leaning against. She slowly took steps to the elf, who unfortunately was taller than she. "Someone has to at least try to lead, Tysin. I've seen far to many groups fail without a proper leader. I didn't see you, or even Kolmar stepping up to the plate, so I took the role. Yes, maybe I've made mistakes, but not as many as you two seem to think." She included Kolmar into the conversation, meeting his gaze beyond Tysins. Bringing her eyes back to Tysin's, she continued."I would like to see you try to lead when you just saw your father along with the majority of your race slain, both of you. You seem to already have forgotten that I am not just an elf. I. Am. A. Dragon." Those last few words came out in a clipped snarl. Her anger was rising again, it didn't take long to control it, however. She was nose to nose with the large elf, her chin tipped up as she met his gaze. "I didn't live among just the elves, Tysin. I have lived among both dragons and elves. There I was taught that the moment you don't use your full power, you're dead. So don't you dare judge me, you hypocrite." She spat the last word at him. "Aren't you such, Tysin? Both of you. You accuse me of judging you, along with everyone else here within such a short period of time. Didn't you commit the same crime just now?"
She took a step back. Her rant was finished, seething as she was, she had said all she had to say. Unconsciously, her hand had strayed to her bow during her rant. Moving into a less aggressive stance, she awaited the elf's and Dwarf's response.
[/dash][/fieldbox]

• Love
Reactions: Lady Alainn
Niklaus
Nik returned Vivian's smile with a measure of confidence as she approached the group. He wasn't sure if it was due to his remark supporting her action of shifting, or because he had done his share in the skirmish, but whatever the reason, he would accept it as a token of approval.

"Good to see you all know how to fight, although that was obvious before this all happened."

He focused on the words that were obviously important to Vivian, making sure she could see his smile if she glanced his way. As she uttered the words "needless loss of life" his smile faltered. Images of himself as a dragon flashed through his head. Ripping flesh apart, blood dripping from jaws and claws, totally captivated in blood lust. "…all life is valuable. We could have used these men." All of the self-confidence he had now drained away. It obviously wasn't his prowess in battle that had caused her to smile at him. When she finished her speech, he just continued to stand where he was, unsure of what needed to be done.

"Um, Niklaus." Nik turned his gaze her way as Valaina addressed him "Do you want me to," He glanced down to where she was pointing, at the area where the arrow had sliced along his thigh. It did look pretty bad, with the blood still wet absorbing into his trousers, and it certainly did sting a little. Did she really want to help, or was she just trying to do what she thought everyone expected her to? She didn't look any surer of herself than he felt right then. What would ease her apprehension of him more? He knew she hadn't been thrilled by his presence at their first meeting, and he really wanted to change that. Should he tough it up, or would she be more friendly if he encouraged her aid? He hesitated before offering, "I don't think it's as bad as it looks, but you can take a look and see."

Tysin's challenge stopped him from saying any more. Why was he picking on Vivian? Irritation toward the big elf rose up as Nik listened to what was said. Tysin wasn't such a loveable tub himself. How anyone could treat something like this so flippantly was beyond him. Sure, he didn't really know anything about how they would challenge Vaeros, or even how he could help, but he would do his part to support Vivian if he could, not tear her down. He cheered inwardly when she snarled at Tysin. No way she would take this lying down. His body unconsciously prepared to shift, hardening his skin and opening his inner furnace. He would not stand for this.

"You dare to presume to know me, Tysin?" Vivian's reply was equally as fierce as Tysin's. She was matching him tit for tat. Nik listened to the sparing, convinced that Vivian was every bit equal to the challenge posed her. He wanted to cheer when she turned Tysin's charge back on his own head, but discovered that his throat was unable to utter speech. It suddenly dawned on him that he was about to lose control, and quickly tried to relax and calm down before he went feral again. That was the last thing he needed right now.

Tysin could not contain the emotion bubbling inside him, although knowing the pain she must be going through from the fresh loss of family softened it slightly. From the depths of his being came a full bodied laugh. It was not leering or cruel, but simply laughter, as if someone had started to tickle him and he could not resist, venting the steam that had recently boiled over. With a smile he took a step back, away from Vivian. Opening his stance, he relaxed his tight frame to help ease the confrontational atmosphere that he had only so recently initiated.

"I am sorry if my laughter further angers you, but you have just proved my point far more vividly than mere speeches could ever begin to." The smile on his features faded as it mixed with tender sympathy for the loss of her father. Taking a deep breath, he continued in a gentler tone "I am truly sorry for your loss. This unexpected evil has already caused you far more personal pain than many in this world have yet to suffer. So I will ask only one thing. Please, look at your own response just now, when you faced my judgement. How do you think that we feel when it is directed at us?"

[dash=grey]
Kolmar had to admit, he'd expected some backlash from Vivian at Tysin's accusations, but not to this extent. Not with this amount of wrath. He could almost feel the angry heat radiating from her body, see the seething flames erupting from within. For the briefest of moments, the dwarf wondered if Vivian was mistaken in believing herself an ice dragon. Surely she was about to engulf the large elf in a wreath of fire! Kolmar's grip tightened around Ikspar's shaft, readying his tired muscles to leap into the fray should this turn violent, but once again Vivian surprised him.

It was not Tysin's words driving her to rage, but grief.

And not just any grief, but one of the most bitterest kinds.

No wonder, then, her reaction to slaying their attackers.

True, he still did not approve of how things had played out, true he wanted Vivian to know her actions had not been condoned by all and that she herself had much proving to do before she earned the right to have anyone look up to her for guidance, but he could now see her actions in a new light. In some ways, they reflected him in his youth. He, too, would have pushed forward in steadfast determination to avenge his fallen father, driven by an insatiable need to see the murderer pay for his crimes. He, too, would have taken this quest in a much more personal way than his companions, stiffened his lip and marched forward without giving proper time to grieve.

Ah, the poor lass.

Kolmar grunted as peels of laughter wafted over the plains, his thick brow furrowing towards the culprit. If he didn't know better, this could easily deteriorate into a finger-pointing, blame-casting session instead of a critique. He'd better make sure that didn't happen.

"This is no trial and certainly not the place to hold one," Kolmar reminded them. "We must move from this place, immediately, lest the brigands gather reinforcements and besiege us again with greater strength. Colleen? You and Valaina seek your horses while the rest of us attend to the burial rights of the fallen. Let us hope they were not swept away with the retreat."

So saying, the dwarf bent down to settle one of the bodies over his shoulder, and clambered to his feet again with the help of Ikspar. Using the hammer as a walking stick, he plodded over to Vivian and tossed the body onto the pile. He paused, then turned to her, straightening his back to get as close as he could to meeting her eye.

"My heart is heavy for your loss, Vivian," Kolmar said sincerely. He bit his lip and contemplated leaving it at that, but his concern for her well-being kept him going. "Grief has awakened much anger in you, fair maiden, and it lashes at its nearest outlet. When we have reached relative safety, please take the time you need to mourn fully. Now is not the time, but you must grieve. Otherwise... otherwise your anger may consume you. Promise me you will do this?"
[/dash]

• Love
Colleen
Colleen found that it was hard to shake Kolmar's displeasure with Vivian's actions. Though she honestly did understand where he was coming from. Going all out against a rag tag team of country bums did seem like a little much however she wasn't going to openly disprove of Vivian's actions either. Surprises happen on the battle field, the slightest things could turn the entire flow, especially during a small scale fight such as this. It was better to put yourself in the best possible situation to gain the upper hand... and it wasn't like any of them really held back during the fight.

Still she better give thought to what Kolmar said. False information could be a double edged blade, it could work for or against a group depending on who's hands the information falls on. Perhaps it would be better to dumb down the story in order to keep it from spreading... That, however, would be a thought for later. Right now they had a hand full of dead bodies and ill feelings.

Vivian started to speak and right away it seemed she made a slip of the tongue. 'Needless loss of life.' It seemed the group was split over this topic, the majority of them found killing the bandits to be natural while others, well just Vivian and Valiana (judging from her expression) found it to be something that should be avoided. Vivian attempted to defend her statement but in Colleen's eyes she was only added more fuel to the fire.

At the end of Vivian's speech Tysin quickly jumped in which turned into a rather heated conversation. Colleen's first instinct was to calm them both down but she held herself back. She remembered a time where she and her father watched two soldiers fighting amongst themselves. At first she was confused as to why her father hadn't jumped in and created peace but she soon found the reason. If her father had jumped in the two would have dropped the topic and went their separate ways but both would still remember that conversation which would only create tension between them. Sometimes it was better for the team to fight it out and come to an understanding rather than holding onto poor feelings.

Colleen had stayed out of the fight and it ended peacefully. She was both surprised and concerned to hear of Vivian's father. Unfortunately this was a dark patched for Colleen, she hadn't a word to say. Everything in her told her to say something comforting to Vivian but... perhaps it was better to let a more fluent speaker do the job for her.

"Colleen? You and Valaina seek your horses while the rest of us attend to the burial rights of the fallen." Colleen nodded and departed for the forest. Neither she nor Valiana had tied the horses to anything but they probubly hadn't run off too far. After all the group was their food source.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.