The Fiery Glazier

Serrana blinked several times, then nodded a few times, then fought to avoid nodding off a few times, then widened her eyes and nodded again. Occasionally she opened her mouth to apologize, and more than once (read: at least seventeen times) had to restrain herself from rolling her eyes at the berating she was receiving, but finally, blissfully, mercifully, it was over. The sorceress made sure not to giggle, laugh, or otherwise break her imposed silence beyond finally saying "I'm sorry Garra" meekly as the woman left, before she finally totally lost it, only able to manage the laughter from being out loud as she shook her head, eventually nodding to Taran as she pulled it together.

"She means well," Serrana said quietly, a wide smile still on her face, "it's her way of showing she cares. Even if she doesn't want to admit it. Plus, I did vanish for several months, by choice or not. I can understand her being at least a little upset." The young woman smirked impishly as she looked towards her brother as she put her pack away. "You though, I was pretty sure you thought she was likely to actually eat you if you spoke up. Brave job defending your sister, my dear brother!" Serrana giggled as she teased him, tucking her replacement key away and getting ready to close and lock the door behind them before heading off to the White Sands.

The journey wasn't long - it wasn't like Serrana had forgotten how to get there or anything - and the glazier-turned-dancer-turned-sorceress-turned-captive-and-returned made her way to the back entrance, letting herself in and calling out to whoever from the family might hear her first.

"Hello?"

"In my defense, angry women are scarier than monsters," he smirked and nudged her shoulder. "I've seen what you and mama can do when you're angry. Even the deadliest soldier in the Duke's army knows to bow his head to an angry woman."

That was, of course, the Duke himself, but nobody said that aloud, not without looking around first and grinning as they whispered it.

Still, he was glad to be away from Garra, and on the way to the Sands, he exchanged a few jokes and some light conversation—talking of important things was best done in private.

In the Sands itself, a booming voice answered Serrana.

"Ragazza!?" Gionni's voice shouted, and the thunder of his feet running from the second floor. He threw open the curtain between the rooms and the main room of the inn and stared at Serrana. His jaw remained dropped as he approached her, then wrapped his arms tight around her. "Serrana! You're alright!" He kissed each of he cheeks in greeting, then squeezed her again and let go of her to look her over. The soft fat he had before was firm now, lined with thick muscle beneath, and his hair, previously so long, was shorn close to his head. A new tanline over his face looked like he wore a helmet lately, and the black over his eyes only added to the list of clues that yes: he picked up his old weapons again lately.

"Where have you been? Roark has been here often and Ada is pregnant, and... Ah, Ragazza! We've missed you! Sonya is engaged now, and there is so much to catch up on—Have you been eating enough?"

A quiet voice from behind cut through the man's excited chatter.

"Let her breathe, dear."

Serrana flashed a wide, impish grin at that. "And that was before I started playing with fire..." she said teasingly, almost as if in playful warning to her older brother as they entered the Sands via the back entrance.

Once inside the sands, the dancer readied herself for the assault she knew was coming - though she expected a different Gionni entirely. Particularly in only a few months, this was a fairly drastic change. He was still Gionni though, of that there was no doubt, and Serrana returned the warm embrace eagerly.

"Aye Pazetta! It's me! I'm fine, I'm fine! I'm sorry, I couldn't help it, I was swept away by one of the customers to a faraway land!" Serrana waited for him to react to that as she grinned. "Don't give me that look, it's the truth! Besides, he was a bad kisser and a worse companion! Of course I came back!" The dancer waited for another facial reaction before continuing. "Yes, I did get abducted, and no, I don't know for sure if they kissed well - I only assume not because they reeked in both breath and body. But I wasn't harmed, and was finally rescued, so I'm back! I wanted to make sure you knew I was alright... now, what is all this? Has the Sands been boring you or some such that you have sought out the conquering of bandits? Look at you!" Serrana nodded approvingly at the 'work' Gionni had been doing before she glanced over his shoulder at the sound of his wife's voice.

Ada's condition concerned the glazier greatly; she was a skinny frail thing, with frequent health problems. Serrana wasn't sure she would be doing well with another child on the way, particularly so far removed from her last one. But, four months had changed Gionni, so she wasn't sure she'd see the same thing with Ada either as she pulled herself from his embrace and went to greet the slender woman.

Gionni laughed and put his adopted daughter down, then walked with her to his wife as the woman leaned against the doorway, cradling the small bump on her midsection.

"He gave me his weight," she joked quietly. A few careful steps found her nearer to Serrana, and she wrapped her arms tightly around the girl. "I missed you, dear."

Save the obvious sign of pregnancy, the woman was as thin and pale as ever, but looked happy to see the younger woman.

"As for Gionni, he heard rumors, and wants to be ready if something happens. I'm rather fond of the visible changes, but then, I'm a naughty woman."

It took a moment, but Serrana's brother soon caught the implication, and reddened.

(Whew! Saved! Forgot it was my move!)

Serrana shook her head and chuckled. "You'd almost have to be, to have married him, no?" she said with a wide grin as she returned the embrace.

Four months... Serrana thought to herself again in disbelief. How could it have been that long...?

"Alright, details, old man, details!" she said jokingly, the same playful smile on her face. "What's this about Sonya being engaged? And other rumors? I swear, you get abducted by one drunk, stinky outlander, and you miss everything! I am so far behind! Tell me!"

The sorceress kept that wide grin on her face, genuinely happy to see them, but at the same time a little worried about what all she'd missed, and certainly eager to find out the missing pieces of what happened in all that time.

Rather than stand about in the front room, Gionni ushered the small group into the kitchen. There, he explained first about Sonya with a broad grin.

"Sonya, she found a man—very kind and good, but as her father you know I can't approve of anyone who would take my child away! Not a regular, but he moved here from... ah..." He looked to his wife.

"Hauteflamme."

"Hauteflamme. He's from there, moved here after he decided a youth of cold and frippery was enough. Decided to do the sensible thing and move south—said Aridefort's capital was ideal because he likes structure even more than he likes being warm." The man shrugged. "He's not a bad boy, but I worry about what kind of man he might be. His jokes are strange. It's hard to understand his accent. He doesn't even know how to fight."

The man's brow furrowed. "If he were content to live in the city and protected with her, that would be well and good, but the fool wants to live in... Ah, what's the name!" He groaned. "It's... second stop after your hometown, Ragazza."

He waited for her to supply the name, then shook his head.

"He won't survive. He sweats like it rains in Selvaluvias!"

Ada pushed a hand into her husband's face and silenced him with ease as he crossed his eyes to look at her fingers.

"He's just upset. I already talked the young man out of it by correcting him that there's no need for a librarian in a town without a library." Ada fondly patted her husband on the belly, and he grunted and looked away, cheeks reddening.

The woman let him pout a moment before she continued where he left off—though a different topic.

"Of course, my main reason for convincing him was the rumors we heard, that the People's Republic has troops massing at the borders."

Taran choked by the doorway. "What?" His voice caught mid word. "What do you mean, troops massing at our borders?" The higher pitch to his voice showed his alarm.

Gionni stared at the young man. "Just rumors, but it is better to do what one can to prepare even if you think they are not true, yes? For me, that is restoring my body to fighting shape. For Ada, that is urging the children to do wise things. For you, ragazzo, that might mean keeping more alert in your work and more diligent in your training. Also, speak to your superiors. They will doubtlessly know more than some old people at an inn. Just... don't spread panic. Panicked army is worthless army."

He crossed his arms with a firm nod.

"Yeah... Yeah, I'll do that. Thank you, sir."

Gioni's face split into a grin, and he flicked Taran's turban. "And uncover your head! You are Serrana's brother, yes? You are in the home of friends."

It was Taran's turn to grin, and he removed his turban to reveal dark hair shorn short enough it was unlikely to ever know what a tangle was anymore.

((Side note, I may need updated map - I think my copy is the old one... can't remember which direction Hauteflamme is, and don't recognize People's Republic))

The glazier giggled softly as she listened to the description of Sonya's new beau. The man was a librarian? That was interesting... and potentially useful, should she ever want to go prodding around looking for books she might otherwise not have access to, particularly now that there was something she needed to research.

"Jian? Why in the blistering sands would he ever want to live there? It's smaller than Vasilla - and Vasilla's tiny enough that I could fling a rock from one end to the other! It's why I left!"

Taran looked at his sister with a raised eyebrow, a questioning tone to his voice. "I thought you left because you wanted to learn magic..."

Serrana snorted a bemused chuckle as she looked back at her brother. "And where was I going to learn it in Vasilla? From the chickens?"

"Well there was that one rooster..."

"Oh, the huge black one? Gardas? The one that chased Olia's horse all over the village?"

"Yeah, him! I can't think a rooster would ever get that big without dark magic!"

The sorceress laughed at that. "I don't think our resident dark wizard rooster would have taught me much..." she said before the topic turned to rumors of forces amassing. This was new, and it was likely bad. If a rumor had gotten this far, not only would there likely have been at least some truth to it, but time would have also passed, allowing it to progress. She turned to Taran, a slight bit of concern on her face.

"Taran, when you report in, you need to ask about that. Immediately..." Serrana looked at Gionni, a small frown on her face. "I assume this was rumor you picked up from guests passing through, yes? How long ago? I can't imagine it's been the past week if you've put in as much work as you seem to have..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Gionni frowned and ran a hand along his chin slowly.

"Not long after you left, and before we got your letter," The large man nodded slowly. "Within those few days. I've heard mentions of it since, but nothing concrete. The Duke has said nothing, and he usually alerts the whole duchy whenever there's some issue that could threaten people."

He frowned. "I'm tempted to ask an audience of him, but..."

A little cough as he adjusted the neck of his top. "I don't know."

Taran nodded. "He usually does send out word. Enough he sometimes seems... paranoid."

Ada rolled her eyes. "I'll request an audience. He's lenient with women ever since his wife passed."

Gionni's head jerked toward her. "That seems... manipulative?"

"I will be gentle."

Serrana flashed a playful smirk Ada's way, nodding in approval. "That might be the best angle, actually..." she said, folding her arms as she thought about it. "If the duke were to grant an audience, you'll be quite the sympathetic figure - a pregnant innkeeper who'd heard these rumors from those who traveled through, and was concerned for their nation's welfare? At the very least, the subject will get broached, even if the duke was well unaware. If he knows... well, he never struck me as the type to be dishonest and hide such a thing if asked point blank..."

Taran stopped for a moment, looking back and forth between Ada and Serrana. "Wait, wait... hold on..." he said, wiping his brow and then staring at his sister. "Are you two, seriously, plotting how to manipulate the duke? Isn't that treasonous on some level or something?"

Serrana grinned, a knowing, impish thing that her brother knew meant impending trouble. "Of course not! It's simply using the tools at one's disposal! And if the duke doesn't know about forces massing on the border, then we're doing him a favor!"

Ada nodded with her usual quiet manner. "Honestly, it's for the best."

Gionni sighed, then clapped a hand onto Taran's shoulder. "Best to leave the women to their conniving. Beer? It'll only be a small, no need to worry about getting drunk." Another clap to the younger man's shoulder, and he jerked his head toward the outer room, mostly empty still.

Before he headed that way, he grabbed a couple glass mugs. He poured from a massive glass jug into each. The liquid was mostly water, with very low alcohol content.

Ada watched until the men were gone, then smiled at Serrana. "Shall we sneak out the back and call on the duke while they're occupied being frightened of what we can do?"

Already, her slow steps began to carry her toward the back door. From there, it was just a small trip through the alley to get onto a road, and from there, only a matter of either distance or ladders—the capital was winding, with no straight avenues for invaders to charge. The locals put out ladders they could easily pull up in the event of trouble, and hiring someone with a hand cart wasn't difficult.

Serrana watched her brother go with Gionni, shaking head and all, that mischievous grin never leaving her face the whole time as husband and brother left the women to their conspiring. As they left, Taran could be overhead muttering something along the lines of "which one will be the death of us first" amidst a bemused chuckle.

The sorceress then turned to Ada with a nod. "Oh, absolutely! Though to be fair, I've always had Taran on the run at least somewhat... Gionni might come to his senses and try to stop us though; we should definitely go now!"

Serrana picked up her pace in order to lead the way - Ada was pregnant after all, so there was no sense in making her go first. The younger woman was also just a little fearful... there was no reason to be afraid right that moment, at least not at a glance. But given what she'd been through, and exactly how it had began the last time she'd left the White Sands, she had no intention of being anything other than exceedingly careful as she slipped out to the alley, keeping a watchful eye as she glanced around, knowing that she was now watching for two (well, two and a half, really...).

The walk went well and quietly until the party of two-and-a-half entered the ducal palace beyond the two outer walls.

Though the architecture appeared simple, it was rumored to be the most advanced home this side of the straits. The etched crystal windows could be removed and replaced with metal plates during sand storms, or left open in mornings and evenings when the winds are cool, but not icy.

The impossible symmetry of the place stemmed from the current duke's efforts to tear down and rebuild with perfection in mind. The vestibule gave way to a beautiful and massive grand hall, decorated with mosaics across every wall and pillar that shifted into almost-animated scenes depicting the Hero of Light, the first Duke of Aridefort, the Queen of Rights, and a hero nobody was quite certain actually existed, called the Azure Man.

A left turn led Ada and Serrana into a room that performed dual functions: ballroom and throne room, though it lacked a throne.

The two made it past the door before anyone questioned their presence.

"Miss? Madam? Do you have an appointment?" a pale, freckled man asked as he mournfully pushed his glasses up his nose. He looked more like pale bread dough than flesh.

"We won't be long," Ada assured with a well-practiced smile and a hand on her swollen belly—a mother's weapons.

The man's eyes dipped to follow the movement of her hand, and he quickly lifted his gaze back to her face. "Perhaps I could assist you?" His timidity left it sounding more a question than an offer, and the Duke himself, in full plate, stopped his conversation with a general from the army to listen, finger raised for silence and eyebrow raised for interest as his stern gaze took in the two women.

"Ah, I just have a military question. I'm worried for my husband... He wants to reenlist because he heard a rumor, and with the baby on the way..." She bit her lower lip as she looked down toward her belly.

A harsh-sounding voice broke the newly-spread silence as the Duke made his voice heard.

"Prince Brahm, please stand aside."

Duke Achille Brightcloud approached like a slow storm front, though there were neither thunderclaps nor rain in his demeanor. He stood before the two women and inclined his head briefly, then paused as recognition flitted through his gaze at the sight of Serrana.

"Ah, you are the journeyman studying under Capo Roark Oran. Miss Serrana Bahira." His eyes slid toward Ada. "And you are Padrona Adalina Ospite, from the White Sands, wife to Padron Gionni Ospite."

His lips stretched into a subtle frown—few people could tell it from his usual expression.

"The two of you are not here for something so simple as a question, I fear."

With a wave, he sent away all but the prince and the general.

"Come."

With that singular word, he approached the stairs at one end of the room, then began to climb. Ada followed just after the confused general and lost-seeming prince.

Achille led the way to the massive window in the center of the room, then turned toward the four behind and waited expectantly.

"Duke Achille, is this really im-... important enough to warrant sending away everyone else?"

"A citizen returns from being kidnapped. She was discovered to be held captive by goblins who have written records that mysteriously disappeared between her discovery and her arrival in Aridefort, and she arrives up at the ducal palace in the company of a citizen known for meddling and manipulating my staff. Tell me, what about this situation seems like it might be unimportant?"

The prince inhaled sharply, then shook his head. "Forgive me... Aridefort is very different from Axevrai."

"And you remember why that is?"

"Aridefort doesn't suffer from idleness."

Achille didn't indicate whether the answer was correct or not, but instead turned his gaze to the two women. "Now, citizens, you had a matter for my attention?"

Ada spoke up without hesitation, offering only a brief nod of her head in lieu of a bow. "A rumor came through our inn several months back. It was brief and died quickly, but my husband still plans to enlist in the reserve forces. Are there Republic troops gathering at the border?"

The duke's expression remained unchanging, but the general paled.

"There are, madam. The wall to the south prevents them entry to Assezfourni, and the mountains and marsh north discourages entry to Icesog and Hauteflamme, just as the desert discourages them from entering from the east into Aridefort, but they gather regardless at every border crossing that is not impossible. Citizens of Icesog, Assezfourni, Vraitrasse, and Feytout report sightings of ships in the distance that are not recorded and do not belong to the Glacelieu Cave Region."

Ada's fingers met her lips as she covered her mouth.

"The gatherings are military in nature, and they carry unfamiliar weapons. Their numbers are large enough to overcome our country's natural defenses, and Saldeclan informants have been unable to send word from the Republic."

"Why isn't this public?" The pregnant woman squinted. "You made public the goblin attacks ten years ago."

"The situations are very difficult. We know goblins. Protecting ourselves from them is fairly simple. This is an unknown enemy of unknown numbers and unknown purpose. Citizens of Aridefort know how to deal with goblins and have no reason to fear an army of them."

"Why answer, then?" Ada's head lifted in challenge.

One corner of Achille's lips rose in a half-smile. "One of you is known to keep secrets exceptionally well. I have reason to believe the other has information I desire about unusual goblin activities."

His blue-eyed gaze bored into the glazier journeyman and self-taught mage.

Serrana had expected Ada's play to work, as she trusted the woman's judgement. The fact that they basically waltzed in as if they owned the place, however - that both surprised and amused her. She wondered if this was just the case during waking hours, or at all times... and if it was at all times, exactly how dangerous that could be. She'd heard rumors that the duke was powerful indeed, but everyone had moments of vulnerability. The duke had to sleep after all, did he not?

The young mage did her level best to not get carried away with sightseeing, this being the first time she'd been to visit the palace. She marveled at the statues and the level of workmanship on the keep as a whole that bordered on obsessive, and strode through with a mixture of purpose and wonder. Idly, the sorceress wondered if they'd encounter Morella here as well, or if the duke's daughter was lodged in her room, or on some subtle exploit that her father was none the wiser of.

As they arrived at the ballroom, Serrana gave a playful smirk as she looked sideways and the doughy man who, though resplendent, looked well out of place in many ways, the least of which was his fashion. A slightly arched brow was the remainder of response that he garnered from her as Ada addressed him, the sorceress knowing that there was no way he was a match for the matron of the White Sands. Her gaze snapped forward though when she heard the sharp voice of the duke pierce through.

Serrana watched the duke carefully, for a moment thinking little of their suddenly granted audience, until she saw that flicker of recognition from the duke - the slight changing in the eyes that belies such things, no matter how placid the expression. That surprised her a little. She only recalled meeting the duke once at the glassworks, not long before the abduction, during the minor incident where the faulty glass had been left on the shelves, and she didn't believe she'd made that much of an impression. That such a commoner stuck in the mind of nobility stuck out as rather unusual...

When she was called by name, though, formality wasn't lost on the glazier, as she bowed respectfully to Aridefort's leader, a single nod accompanying it, acknowledging her listed identity before falling in line beside Ada and behind the duke as they all moved toward the stairs, and was halfway up before she realized something very important:

The duke had sent everyone away.

"Why?" she thought, "there was no need to do that, unless he expected secrecy. He can't be expecting us to embarrass him, so that can't be it... And why is he in armor? He wasn't when he came to the glassworks... what is going on?" Her thoughts didn't have time to work their way through all the possibilities, even though a few were torn away and discarded by the time they'd reached the top of the stairs.

Once there, with the rotund prince's voice hiding a fatigue from the ascent, the sorceress hid another smirk from the prince's view, particularly with the duke's quite-true response. Few of Aridefort's citizens were what one would call idle hands, and that wasn't an unearned reputation. Serrana herself managed two jobs and still studied magic on the side, after all... well, when she wasn't being kidnapped by goblins, that is.

When the duke spoke however in the span of only a few seconds, her expression changed - more than once.

The duke clearly and concisely described the pair of visitors, which caught Serrana's attention. The way he answered the prince showed that Aridefort's ruler also did not suffer idleness. The way he described the pair of them was equal parts informed and confident - the kind of thing one would say when asserting dominance in a conversation with a sort of smug surety. Serrana was legitimately impressed - to the point that smirk of hers returned... until she realized exactly what the duke had said.

Her smirk had a lifespan of about an eighth of a second.

The duke knew. Already. He may have lacked specifics of everything Serrana did and what secrets she had, but he already knew everything. And that Ada was up to something in addition. The instinct that something was indeed "up" had been confirmed, and though she hid it well, the back of her mind told her that her own look of recognition at all of that would betray her. Thankfully, Ada spoke first, pressing her request and allowing the glazier a moment to gather her thoughts - one she knew she would desperately need. In the meantime, Serrana's eyes darted about, watching both Prince Brahm and the general (who she didn't recognize) for their own reactions - a little relieved to see that they were even more stunned than she was about Ada's level of knowledge. Those brown eyes widened, however, at the news that they were, in effect, surrounded, and by a superior foe, no less. The republic was never not a threat, in truth, but if they now seemed fit - and set - to attack and invade... this was grim news indeed, especially with the color leaving the general's face like it had. That was why the duke had his armor on, and why there was a dignitary here, as well as his general; she and Ada had walked into an impromptu war council of sorts, the sorceress was near sure of it.

When Duke Brightcloud elaborated on what he knew of his unexpected guests, after mentioning goblins and their lack of threatening status at present, Serrana knew that she wasn't going to be dodging questions much longer. Briefly, the sorceress considered being cagey about things. The secrets she held were significant, and she herself lacked the means to properly elaborate on them in the first place. Plus, she had a different perspective on the goblin behaviors than most, given her unusual treatment at their hands (she was, for example, still surprised that they'd been more respectful towards her than her initial human captors). And then there was the threat to the country at large... the goblins were a boogeyman - one used to scare children; and while they were always a slight threat, on a large scale, there was no region truly threatened by them. The republic though? Thousands of lives - as well as their entire way of life - would be threatened by that.

No, deception was not the play to be had here. There was a greater responsibility to be had. Not to mention that throwing cards down on the table would not only give her the best path to future answers, but also was the most likely to keep her out of prison - where she would be no good to anyone: Ada, Gionni, Oran... and especially herself.

The sorceress looked Duke Achille Brightcloud right back in the eye, before bowing (and taking a deep breath, using the bow to hide it - and the nerves associated therein), then speaking in an even, convicted tone.

"What would you ask of me, Your Grace?"

• Love
Reactions: The Mood is Write
Achille watched her, and when she queried for what he wanted of her, some of the severity left his expression, and the hints of a smile became visible.

Inwardly, the man was relieved. Aridefort was home to industrious, persistent people. That she made the decision not to be stubborn meant this would be simpler. She likely assumed cooperation would be in her best interests as well—those he didn't interact with often assumed the worst of him—dungeons and torture and forced army service.

He wasn't like his father, though.

"I would like the files your brother took back for you, and your counsel in interpreting them if it is required. I would also like to hear about what you experienced while you were held captive." A slow inclination of the head was the high-born's 'please', and he gave it to her. "From your appearance, they did not abuse you...?"

The man's eyes turned toward Ada, who nodded.

In his experiences with the inn matron, she read people well. He assumed she would notice if her own friend was in some way hurt or violated.

"I am curious about what the goblins are doing. I do not want my armies crushed between two foes."

"Duke Achille?" the prince began. Once the Duke looked toward him, he continued. "The situation at the volcano, you don't think it's related?"

The severity returned to Achille's expression, and a vein in his temple throbbed under the skin as he stared at the prince.

It was Ada who spoke first. "Hauteflamme Volcano? Don't tell me those rumors are true!"

Achille sighed and glared at the prince for several moments before he forced his expression to relax back to the standard sternness and turned toward Ada to answer. "I was going to wait to warn about it until I verified the situation, but people have died and gone missing there in the past several months—soldiers, locals, mercenaries, and nobles. Almost a prince, too."

Braham flinched, and his face reddened as he looked down, his eyes taking a haunted cast as the duke's glare returned to him.

The general, quiet for so long, finally cleared his throat and spoke. "Since the two of you seem to have become part of our little party, I feel I should introduce myself. General Antoine Guillory the younger, son to Baron Antoine Guillory the Third of Vraitrasse."

True to his introduction, he was a pale and thick man, made for cold. He had some fat, but even covered in armor, his body's stance and movements betrayed powerful muscles. The collar of his padded shirt under his armor offered a glimpse of how he suffered in the heat.

He gave a moment and a slow nod of his head "Despite the circumstances, it is a pleasure to meet two strong and lovely women."

A brief flash came to Achille's eyes as he heard that. His attention shifted to the general. "I would appreciate you respect the marriages of my citizens."

"Miss Bahira is...?"

"To her studies."

Antoine blinked, at the duke, then chuckled and bowed to the two women. "Forgive me, ladies. I'm still adjusting to the culture of Aridefort. Vraitrasse is very... social."

Achille sighed and turned his attention back to Serrana. "Back to the earlier topic of goblins and kidnappings. May I have your permission to relieve you of those stolen papers, to ask your help in interpreting them? I would also enjoy a chance to talk with you regarding your treatment by the goblins."

Serrana listened carefully, dark eyes on the duke as he spoke, giving a nod of assent when he requested her assistance, and shaking her head softly and giving a quiet "no" when questioned about possible abuses she may have suffered. Her quiet response wasn't one of intimidation felt (though the glazier certainly did have a little of that on board for certain), simply just a way to communicate that elaboration could wait a moment, particularly when the prince spoke up.

The change in the duke's demeanor made it clear that being quiet was to her advantage for the moment. If nothing else, the prince was doing a wonderful job of soaking off any displeasure the duke may be carrying due to the current situation. The rebuke that he gave Prince Brahm forced her to keep an amused smirk hidden, an act which was slightly easier once her attention was gathered by the visiting general. Serrana nodded as he introduced himself, a polite smile on her face. She then glanced at the duke with a slightly quirked eyebrow as he promptly shut down his attempt to flirt with her, the sorceress's smile growing a bit as she finally spoke up.

"Indeed..." she said, giving the duke another nod before looking back to the general. "And my spouse is already a jealous enough one, splitting time with two occupations. It's as Duke Achille says - we are not an idle people."

The sorceress turned to face the duke once more, and gave him another nod of affirmation. "Of course, Your Grace. My time and service are yours. Though I warn, there is much I do not know. In fact, a large part of my keeping this share was to research it more thoroughly..." Serrana reached into an inner pocket of her whites and pulled out the folded - and carefully hidden - arcane notes she'd managed to squirrel away. "My intent was to learn exactly what these entailed, and then go from there. These are not all of the notes, however; the rest were given to my brother to forward on to his superior officer. Those contained, as best as I could tell, logistical information for where I was held. As for my captivity... The story is not a short one, and it has many questions that make me suspicious of more than just the motives of the goblins. I will, of course, give all the details I can, if you so desire."

Serrana looked the duke in the eye, a hint of worry on her face, echoed in her voice - though the latter also carried a bit of conviction as well. "If there is as much at work here as it seems, I believe that every bit of information we can scrape may be important. I only hope I can be of assistance with such things." The dark-eyed sorceress offered the sheaf of papers to the ruler of her lands, refusing to waver even as the gravity of exactly what was happening in and around Aridefort - and all of Saldecla - was starting to sink in.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: The Mood is Write
The duke struggled to contain his pride at Serrana's answers, though she did earn an upward quirk to his lips and a glint of that pride in his eye. He accepted the papers and her words with a simple nod.

"Thank you, Miss Bahira."

He wanted to praise her investigative urges, but he held no wish to embarrass her in front of a prince and a general. She might not be aware of it, but she was not without some power in this. She could easily walk out and leave him with papers that held little meaning to someone who lacked the sort of context she had.

Just as easily, she could start spreading the word of mobilized goblins, a volcano of death, and the Republic's apparent invasion. She could cause mass chaos that would create a dagger of doubt poised against the Duke's back.

He gave her those weapons purposefully and readily—except for the volcano. The Prince handed her that one. Thankfully he'd not also hand over the other weapons poised against him.

Doubt was as deadly as an assassination, and poisoned those around him as well. He'd rather the assassination of the two.

His mind processed this quickly as he watched Serrana. She was worried, but she held herself and spoke with conviction.

"I will make arrangements with your employers and landlord to ensure you are compensated for any lost wages or other difficulties brought on by your assistance in this matter, including any travel or living expenses that arise unexpectedly."

Ada's gaze bored into him, and he addressed the innkeeper as her gaze continued.

"Yes, Miss Ospite?"

"Be nice to my girl," the thin and sickly pregnant woman demanded.

Achille frowned at Ada as he squared his shoulders. "I will not tolerate any implications that I would treat my citizens with anything less than respect and kindness when they have shown the same to me."

Ada grinned and winked at Serrana, and the Duke deflated, confusion apparent as Ada reached up and patted his cheek.

He quickly and gently pushed her hand away from his face and stood up straight. "Hem," he cleared his throat. "Regardless, Miss Ospite, Serrana Bahira will not be knowingly mistreated, and if I find someone has abused her in any manner, I will deliver suitable punishment."

"I know."

His glance in her direction revealed a hint of confusion, but he sighed and shook his head. "Miss Ospite—"

"Ada."

The man slowly closed his eyes and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Please take care of yourself and send my well wishes to your family. Would you like me to call a ride for you?"

"Please. I'm sure Gionni is quaking in his boots."

That brought a subtle smile to the man's face. "I'll see you out."

Achille looked toward Serrana, and his more formal manner returned. "Miss Bahira, you are welcome to share a ride with Miss Ospite back to either the White Sands or your home. I will pay it. Otherwise, I am planning to send for the other side of these papers and begin my initial reading immediately. If you opt to remain, you may be further subjected to the company of Prince Brahm and General Guillory."

Last edited:
Serrana continued to listen and maintain what she believed to be her place. While she knew she'd (until a moment ago) held something of great value, and was still of use (even if she didn't know the full gravity of it), she also knew that she was the commoner in this particular group, and despite the training she'd scraped together, easily the lowest in social standing amongst these five. As such, even as she was being treated with, what she felt, was greater respect than her station, she did her best to not let that run away with her. Being impishly prideful worked with her family, but this wasn't the place for it.

As the glazier watched the brief exchange between Ada and the duke, Serrana smirked, and also blushed slightly. Ada was an impressive force, when she decided to leverage that guile to a purpose - particularly when she was able to stymie Duke Achille in such short order. When the matron of the White Sands claimed Serrana as her own, however, a slight flush caused the sorceress's cheeks to tingle with warmth - if there was any evidence needed that she was viewed as a welcome member of Gionni and Ada's family, that would suffice for certain.

Upon the duke's offer, Serrana nodded. "With your leave, Your Grace, I would see Ada home. I don't believe it would be proper of me to force her to make the trek alone, particularly since we accompanied one another here. It would also do my brother well to know that no ill has come from this visit, as I'm reasonably certain that, especially given recent events, he's probably worrying himself silly. Once Ada is back at the Sands, however, I will be more than happy to return and assist however I can. This would also give you the opportunity to look those papers over without my input, so as to get your own first take on them, in case we may see different things within the writings. Oran will be disappointed to be without his journeyman for a bit longer, but I believe the old goat will get by - he is too stubborn to not, after all."

The firedancer waited until the duke called for their ride, then accompanied Ada to the carriage and inside, bidding her hosts a brief farewell before the vehicle was pulled away. Once clear, Serrana looked at Ada, eyes wide, as she let out a slightly nervous laugh. "I can not believe you did that! To the duke! You're a braver woman than I!" The glazier shook her head, brown eyes still wide as she looked at the woman across from her. "Still... that probably went as well as could be hoped, considering the circumstances... We definitely should let the men know what's going on though - if only to keep them from worrying about us too much..."

As the chatter became a little more relaxed on the short trip back to the White Sands, Serrana's mind wandered a bit, taking in everything she'd heard - and just learned. Armies, mercenaries, goblins, volcanoes, omens... all of it starting to circulate at once. There was too much here for a coincidence...

Volcanoes...

One volcano in particular... and Serrana's brow furrowed in thought. The day all of this started, she'd been thinking of precisely that. An old story from her mother, involving a great evil from a volcano, sealed away by the Hero of Light... And something about black iron... an orb of dark magic, and a shaft that speaks of death... cuts that poison and drink your blood...

And a talisman made of it.

Serrana gasped suddenly as the carriage pulled to a stop in front of the White Sands, her eyes going wide once more as she seemed to look around for something, though it was more in reaction and thought as her mind raced out of the blue. "Talisman..." she whispered, her memory retracing the steps of the night she was abducted and the events leading up to it. "A talisman of dark iron... Ada, do you remember that thing? The last night I danced, did I show you? The strange, sharp little trinket? No, wait, I don't think I did..." Serrana stepped out of the carriage as they arrived, glancing to the driver and saying "I will be back shortly" as she waited for Ada before continuing. "That afternoon, when I was on my way here, I found something in my pocket. I have no idea where it came from, but it was this creepy little carving - jagged, sharp, of black iron. It made me think of one of the stories my mother used to tell me - about the Hero of Light and his sealing of a great evil inside a volcano. Any other day, I'd call this coincidence, but now?" The sorceress shook her head, not sure exactly what the ramifications were of what she'd just remembered. "I'll have to go home before returning to the palace; I may need that little thing. I don't believe they ever took it from me when I was kidnapped..."

The firedancer tried not to think about it too much as they went inside, instead seeking out Gionni and her brother, intent on telling them what had happened. Once she saw Taran, she smiled as she walked up to him, shrugged a bit, and spoke cheerfully. "Well, good news, we're not enemies of the state!" A wide grin was on her face, one that her brother knew meant only one thing:

Trouble.

Ada only smiled knowingly at Serrana's exclamation. There'd been no bravery there, she knew. Something far simpler. Everyone needed their secrets, and so she merely let the younger woman's nervous chatter continue as she offered warm and tired replies that she hoped would reassure.

In all honesty, she was distracted. It was a simple enough thing to hide behind talk that became more casual and relaxed. The duke was being far too trusting. Had he forgotten he was a politician already, or did he have his own rods in the fire?

Ada jerked herself from her thoughts as the younger woman gasped, and the carriage stopped. She didn't recall anything of what Serrana said of talismans, but it sounded too eerie to be coincidence, for certain.

"Yes, take that with you. Wrap it in cloth so it doesn't cut you, though." Her voice came out more forcefully than she intended, and a trace of worry showed in her face, only to hide as she took a deep breath and entered the inn after Serrana. She had a husband to reassure. Her worries, she could share with him later.

In privacy.

Gionni grinned in relief as he spotted the two women entering. "Ragazza! Vita mia!" He exclaimed, and as Serrana greeted her brother, his arms engulfed his little wife, who laughed helplessly as he showered her face in kisses.

Taran, all tension as he watched the entrance, relaxed briefly when his sister approached, only for his hopeful expression to fall at that grin.

"What'd you do?"

For Serrana, the choices were much easier. The sorceress didn't much care whether or not the duke was playing some sort of political game, so long as it wasn't something that would endanger their country on the whole. The information that she held ranged anywhere from completely inert to absolutely dire and critical to the survival of her country, and quite frankly, she had no true idea where on that scale it lie. But the fact she was now able to give it directly to the duke without fear of recourse, at least from the ruler of the land she lived in, gave her a sense of security to go along with the feeling that this was the right thing to do - particularly when compared to doing nothing at all.

It didn't hurt matters that she was going to be able to drive her brother crazy with it.

The glazier smiled, her dark eyes wide as she looked at Taran. "I told the duke the truth, silly thing, what else was I going to do?" she said, almost teasingly, before she continued. "I told him what happened. Based on everything else that was happening, it seemed like the right thing to do. Besides, I really didn't have a lot of choice..." Serrana had looked away, though not for any reason in particular, but she now looked back at her brother, "Taran, he knew. I don't know exactly how much, or how, but he knew. He knew I'd vanished, and that something had happened, and that I had those papers that I held. There's no way he could have figured all of that out so quickly, and I don't think that reports had time to make it to him. Either those mercenaries went straight to him, or he knew some other way. And there's a lot more going on than we know about." Serrana leaned in to whisper to Taran, making sure noone else heard (Ada and her husband might already know, but Serrana didn't want this to be common knowledge if someone else was listening in - there was a reason the duke wasn't saying much, after all).

"When you get back to your squad, press your commander on the situation at the border. There are troops starting to mass. You need to be aware... and we need to tell Mom and Dad. When will you be headed back out there way? I don't know that we can trust that information to a messenger - the duke is keeping this quiet; there's gotta be a reason why." The glazier's tone turned a little more pensive when she started letting her brother know what was happening, but she felt Taran needed to know before she went back to the palace.

Taran visibly paled as he palmed his glass absently and listened, attentive to his sister as she described the Duke's knowledge, the need for him to press his superiors, and for him to inform their parents. It sounded huge, like something from a frightening story or a military exercise more than a reality.

He slowly placed his cup on a nearby counter, then ran a hand through his hair, crunching the sweat-dried strands apart absently before he let his hand drop into the other one with a sigh.

"This sounds... very big," he breathed. "Very, very big."

He wasn't sure how much of this he was supposed to know, let alone spread by asking his superiors. However, he could let their parents know that there was incoming danger, maybe. Or maybe he could just say that Serrana was getting into trouble in the capital and they should bring the whole family there to try to rein her in.

"I'm not telling our family. They're all gossips," he murmured, "But I know what to say to get them to come here with the whole clan in tow."

Including the hell bird, he was sure.

"As for the rest, I'll do what I can, but... I mean, if anyone knows this conversation between us is happening right now, it's probably the Duke." He grinned nervously. "He knows all of us soldiers by face and name. It's eerie."

Gionni laughed. "Of course he does! The man joins your exercises oft—"

A sharp glance from Ada silenced him, and he coughed.

"He's attentive, s'all."

Ada smiled and shook her head. "The Duke isn't like other lords. He doesn't squirrel himself in his keep and get fat. He's come to the bar plenty, even stayed late enough a few times to choke on his drink in shock at your dancing, Serrana."