The Fictional Character that most closely resembles you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhere between Hero from Property of Hate and Dipper Pines from Gravity Falls, with a dash of Waluigi-esque obnoxiousness. Maybe some Pearl from Steven Universe too.

• Thank You
Reactions: Poe Dameron
That's easy. My current avatar, Friday. We are both quiet, frail, and can be carried around like a sack of potatoes.
HbJ85Uv.png

Dunno. It's a real coin toss between Samurai Jack or Aragorn. If I had to pick one and just one, it's probably the former. Mainly because he narrowly misses victory time and again, and yet, continues on, as stoically as he is able to do so.

Emma Frost of the X-Men, because she had a bad past but decided to be something better for the sake of others, and herself.

• Thank You
As much as I hate to admit it, probably Pearl from SU.

She's grown on me now, but I used to dislike her immensely, probably because she has so many of my own negative traits. Buuut she also has a lot of my positive traits, so it can't be all bad.

• Thank You
So, what character in fiction do you feel is most like you?
Arrgh. This is hard, because to quote Walt Whitman: "Do I contradict myself? . . . I contain multitudes." (And no, that doesn't mean I'm possessed. At least not at the moment.)

Psychologically, and without mulling over the hundreds of books I've read in my life, I'm going to go with Wolverine for my flip side and "Fire" (Graceling book) for my day to day - minus the unearthly beauty, of course.

Not much to choose from classic literature, as nothing really fits there - unless someone was raised by wolves and went on to other, much different things. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thank You
There isn't much of a list but here is a few I can number on my hand. I put a bit of thought in this rather than just gathering the "best" characters I have encountered in games.

Agent 47 - Hitman / I think this is the person I find relate-able the most. Might look cheesy and rather over-used relation but I find his actions, behavior yet quiet complex simplicity to be astonishing. He lives his life one objective to another and looks at things not in-front of his headlights but for the long run, if that long run was one objective to another.. Yet in many games and movies we find him having the ability to connect to an individual one way or another, Diana his handler was/is the clear example of this and to which lengths he had gone to heed her request and aid her. Hell he even faked her death.

• Thank You
Jessica Jones because she is so done with humanity xD

• Thank You
I've been told that I look like a pretty version of Arya Stark (I don't think that was meant as an insult to her appearance but instead compliment to me?) I dunno though, I guess I can see it? Just a different ethnicity and my age is in the double digits lol

I think its just the hair.

14686548_1796904330580009_343672149_n.jpg

Remus Lupin from Harry Potter. I have struggled all my life with mental health. Since I was 9 I've been diagnosed with clinical depression and it's been such a struggle. I always seen werewolves as the greatest metaphor of mental health. I understand Remus struggle. But beyond that I always felt Remus was a scapegoat for his friends mistakes, just as I am often the chosen scapegoat. I think he was also both recognized for being gear but also underestimated. He was smart. Had the desire to help others but he was flawed. Made mistakes. Like any individual. And he made decisions he has terribly regretted all while battling a self image if himself due to a condition he couldn't control. Much like myself. Homeless. Struggling to find work. With a network of a few friends willing to help. Honestly JK wrote the best metaphoric disabled character in a book because he was still human and defined by his actions. Not his condition unlike soooo many other true written disabled characters. Remus also was sardonic and had sharp wit. Which I also have.

• Thank You
In real life, I'm probably like Charlie Brewster from Fright Night. I've been into horror since I was a little kid and I haven't ever really 'grown out of it' and much like Randy, I always stick up for horror when I feel it's given a poor shake of the stick which for a long time was aimed at the genre because snobby critics couldn't get their heads out of their asses and see that movies like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street were fun. Of course they weren't award winning material.

Whenever someone says 'horror's shit' I'm reminded of the scene from Fright Night 2 where Charlie's girlfriend tries to write off a vampire film that Charlie is a fan of as a piece of crap. Charlie asks her if she's even seen it and she says no so he responds 'Well, how do you know how good it is then?'

Granted this was the 1980s where online reviews weren't handy and most people looked to Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert for responses. But still, I'm always ready to defend horror when it's misjudged unfairly because yeah slasher films are usually trashy but that's the whole point! They're supposed to be gory spectacles where you cheer for the killer! If they make likable characters that you don't want to see get butchered? Even better!

(though let me just preface this by saying ooooh boy. I really don't care for these two lol. Roger Ebert was a very smart man and I respect his work. But it was absolutely cruel how vile him and Siskel were to the crew of certain horror films such as going as far as to give out the address of Pamela Voorhees's actress so people could send her hate mail. Then they called out every single actor/the producer/director of Silent Night, Deadly Night and just to insult them/pretty much say how shit their movie was. I dunno about you but if you're supposed to review then you go after the movie itself and not get on a soapbox about how the people who worked on this should be ashamed. Fuck off, I'll enjoy a slasher flick if I wanna and I'm sure the people working on it had fun.)

Anyway, yeah I recall staying up late to watch horror movies like Charlie as well. I'd watch Disney Channel's Halloween marathons and then TCM's reruns of the classic black-white horror flicks and AMC for the more modern films. Though I don't really get why bother showing slasher flicks if you can't even show the kills/omit scenes completely. You may as well not even bother. Taking the kills out of a slasher movie is like taking the punchline out of a joke.

But for people who've talked to me, I'm likely Spongebob Squarepants because I've got either an annoying/infectious laugh >w<

• Thank You
This might be kind of weird, but the fictional character(s?) that most resembles me is the average soldier/warrior found across pretty much anything, from riflemen in the world wars, to the Alliance soldiers in the Warcraft universe (because fuck the Horde). They're all blank slates to the casual observer, to the "hero", but behind each and every one of them, there's a lifetime of emotions and experiences. They're not just fodder to throw at the enemy and soak bullets for you in my mind. Whether it's Call of Duty or Lord of the Rings, it's admirable that all of these men and women with an amazing variety of pasts and personalities are willing to stand and fight for what they believe in, or simply to survive.

I don't believe myself to be special. I don't think myself to be the savior of mankind, nor do I regard myself as a great villain. I'm just some dude, just like the rest of the poor sods that get thrown to the meat grinder to make the protagonist seem great and amazing. It's humbling, and it oddly makes me feel satisfied and content. I guess the idea that you don't have to be this outstanding, great superhero that everyone loves and adores, and constantly have to succeed and meet expectations. You're just you, doin' your damn best to kill them bad guys and see the next day.

Weird. I identify with the faceless.

• Thank You
Amethyst from Steven Universe.

Now, this is an interesting pick because, when I first started watching the series, I liked Amethyst because she was the person I wanted to be, rather than the person I actually was. She was chill and didn't give any fucks about what anyone thought of her. And I thought that Pearl was a lot closer to my actual self -- being high-strung, stressing about things I can't control, and being all kinds of insecure.

However, as the series went on, we saw that Amethyst has plenty of insecurities, too, and that her cool persona is often a facade that's meant to hide all of that. Not only that, but the specific things that Amethyst is insecure about are all things that I can really relate to -- being "defective", and not as strong as other gems, and feeling like even her best efforts won't ever be good enough because she just wasn't built right, and how she sometimes feels so useless as a result...

And so, not only can I relate to her feelings of inadequacy -- I also feel like her way of dealing with it is somewhat similar. Much of the time, she covers it up and puts up this cool, gives-no-fucks facade (which is often how I act IRL...), until something triggers all of that emotional baggage to come to the surface, and then she beats herself down for not being good enough...

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.