The Fateful Chances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reia 'Halo' looked around curiously. "Probably a week, maybe two." She said softly. "I noticed some competitions that are taking place soon.. Sword fighting.. Archery.." She smiled faintly. "It sounds like fun.. So I figured I'd stay a bit."

Felix nodded and thought about Reia's words as he withdrew the now very hot blade from the furnace. Quickly placing the sword on a anvil he got a pair of clamps and a hammer. He began to work on fixing the nick, careful strikes sending a array of sparks in all directions. "Yeah, the Champion Challenges we call them. I don't think women are allowed in though..."

She shrugged slightly. "It would still be interesting to watch..." She said softly, watching from a distance. Reia 'Halo' glanced momentarily at the door as she heard a few loud men pass by, but once the threat of discovery was gone seconds later, she returned her gaze to Felix. "Are you going to enter?" She asked curiously.

"Afraid not. See, my little sister Elli is very sick. To pay for medical care me and my Pop both have to be working almost all the time. The chance of getting injured in the Challenges is rather high, so we can't risk it..." Felix glanced over at Reia with a bit of sadness in his face. Halo... sounded like a mysterious crusader. And with that thought a stupid, insane, ridiculous idea popped into the blacksmith's son's head. "Hey, I saw by the ware on your sword your pretty good with it..."

Reia 'Halo' smiled faintly. "I guess... I was taught by one of the royal guards. He didn't want me getting hurt when I wandered off." She said softly. Her eyes trailed back down to the sword, still interested in how he was able to fix the blade. "I learned some things on my own though... When I've fought with others." She shrugged, looking up at him again.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Well..." Felix put his clamps down and struck Reia's sword into the nearby pail of cold water. Flames jumped up from the hot blade and brushed against the young man's gloves. "I was thinking... With that cloak of yours, some leather armor, a mask... Maybe you could enter the Challenges with a sword and bow of ours. The advertisement would be great, even if you lost. You wouldn't have to pay for the fix if you do."

Reia 'Halo' looked up at him curiously. "Do you really think I can do that?" She asked softly, curious. The idea of entering as a rogue interested her. She would need to be cautious about not losing her mask or cloak though... Being caught could be disastrous. "We'd need to wrap the handle with leather too... So I can use my sword without being spotted." She added thoughtfully.

Felix looked at Reia, surprised she was actually considering his idea. He brought her sword out of the water and brought it to the grindstone, he had to raise his voice over the sound of metal against stone. "Yeah, there are three Challenges: Riding, Archery, and Swordplay. I can lend you a bow of ours and teach you how to use it if you don't know. I'm guessing you have a horse since you got all this way?"

Reia 'Halo' nodded. "Yes. I know a few basics with the bow... But I am nowhere near a good aim." She said with a faint smile. "But yes, I do have a horse. Do you know the challenges for the horse riding event?"

Flint removed the blade from the grindstone, examining the spot where the nick once was. The sword was slightly thinner but the damage had disappeared and it was much sharper now. "The Riding Challenge is when all the contestants race through the forest nearby. It's loaded with obstacles, jumps and the like. I'm surprised your so willing to do this Halo, you didn't even pause when I asked you."

Reia 'Halo' smiled softly. "I love competitions..." She said as she looked over her sword. "Other than the archery.. It doesn't sound too hard." She said as she let her eyes trail back up to his.

Felix handed the blade back to its owner, nodded, and sighed. "You know, your a lot different then I thought you were like. Please don't be offended by this but most people think your bratty and demanding." He smiled, "I guess they're wrong. Everything ok with your sword?"

Reia 'Halo' gently took the sword. She held it and twirled it slightly in her hand, making sure it was a safe distance from anything. "I think that's more from Royal stereotype than actual observation. And the sword is perfect." She smiled softly. "Thank you." Sliding it back in her sheath, she was satisfied that it didn't catch.

Felix smiled bashfully and scratched his head. "Your welcome, anything for a pretty g-" He caught himself mid-sentence and quickly reworded. "-ood way to draw more attention to the shop! Er..." His face turned red, he wanted to bash himself with the hammer.

Reia 'Halo' smiled and nodded. "When should I return for archery lessons?" she asked, tilting her head a little, still smiling faintly. "Assuming you can teach me." She added softly.

"Hey I'm better with a bow than I look!" Felix resorted indignantly before quickly calming down again. "You can come any time tomorrow. Getting late though, preparations for the Challenges start tomorrow and trust me they're loud. You want to get as much sleep as you can."

Reia 'Halo' smiled and nodded. "Okay. Thank you, for everything." She said softly. She hesitated a moment, then turned to head back to the inn. She pay her horse's head gently and went inside to rest.

Felix nodded and waved. "Your welcome Reia. See you tomorrow." He looked at the empty space after she left, and felt slightly lonely even after his pop returned. He told him that he was going to help a contestant ready for the Challenges in extange for advertisement to which the man gave his son a tight hug. They both went to bed soon after, Felix staying up a bit longer then normal.

Once inside, Reia 'Halo' locked her door and shaded the windows. Letting her cloak fall to the ground, she changed into a simple black nightgown and curled up in bed, relaxing. She stared across the room at her sword, a soft smile on her face as she thought about the boy at the blacksmith.. Her eyes closed and she started to drift off.

When morning came around, Reia 'Halo' woke up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. This time she changed into a light grey dress with a leather belt and black stockings. Once she put her boots on, she attached her sword to her belt and picked up her cloak. Leaving the inn in search of breakfast, she wondered when she should stop by for archery practice.

A black crow soared over the trees of the forest that led to Felix's little village. It landed on the edge of a building's roof before it's head began to twitch about as if looking for something. Finally it stopped on the cloaked Reia and stayed there. Piercing eyes followed her constant and cold. Soon it dismounted and swooped over the princess's, head, letting out a load squawk before landing on another rooftop.

Status
Not open for further replies.