1. The server transfer is complete, but there is a known issue occurring with posts lagging when they are sent! We apologize for the inconvenience. A fix is underway, so please bear with us.

UPDATE: The issue with post lag appears to be fixed, but the search system is temporarily down, as it was the culprit. It will be back up later!

The Fantasy Novelist's Exam

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Xindaris, Oct 30, 2011.

1. So, I was wandering around TVTropes and stumbled upon a link to the fantasy novelist's exam; it's pretty self-explanatory. I skimmed it and didn't find anything I tend to do much when coming up with ideas. I got to wondering whether it might have some use as a "Fantasy RP GM Exam". Obviously some questions (like the first one) don't apply or would have to be adjusted to work, but some of the basic conceptual ones still apply, I think. I'm just curious, of the fantasy RPs you've been in/made, how many might fail this exam? (And possibly as a corollary, how were the ones that fail the exam? I can't imagine it being absolutely ruinous just for one of those questions having a yes.)

2. I think 90% of all fantasy PERIOD would fail that exam. XD It's clearly a satirical commentary...

But it really did raise a few really, really good points in there in between the joke questions. o__o

The on that made me stop and think was Does your story involve a number of different races, each of which has exactly one country, one ruler, and one religion?

It's always been something I've been URG over with a lot of fantasy worlds, but I haven't gotten far enough in to world designing to fix... It kinda makes me wanna go over my universes and see what I can tweak! XD

3. 33. Is your name Robert Jordan and you lied like a dog to get this far? LOL!

4. Honestly, I just skimmed the first 20 or so and thought they were pretty good points. On closer inspection, seems I tend to "fail" on 36-38. Meh.

5. This is nothing new.

In fact, its why I love fantasy books so much. I LOVE the troperrific genre!

I do enjoy twisting the tropes more than just playing them straight these days, but I do enjoy the occasional straight-up, Hero's Journey-ish, monomythic, played-straight-for-all-its-worth adventure.

6. Definitely humorous/satire in nature. Most of fantasy is very trope-centered and that's fine.