The fallen king

"I see. Well, thank you, your highness." He looked friendly to Rosaleen who was offering tea and replied: "No, thank you, I should be around the next block by now, who knows what all those burglars are doing. Anyway, I've already got my hands warm." He then disappeared into the night and later caught a pickpocketing rascal. When he got back to bed he laid awake for a long time, thinking about the tiny black jewel hidden behind the plastic cover of his kitchen lamp. A gift to the wolves from a king? What on Earth had his brother been doing in the Woodlands?

Rosaleen put her hand on her hip as the man left. Looks like she would be drinking two cups of tea tonight. She looked over to Alex and set all of the tea down. "I'm going to go fix you up a bath. Here's tea for you and you're welcome to read any books in here as long as you put them back." Her smile falling only a little she pointed to a well decorated black door. "All I ask is that you refrain from entering that room. Otherwise you may go where ever you like here." Her bright smile returning as she made her way off to the bathroom to start his bath.