The Facility

The man with the impossibly large grin on his face simply dodged the attack, keeping his smile intact the whole time even as he moved his body in a completely irrational and impossible way. His back literally bent at a ninety-degree angle in the middle, so he dodged the shield just by a few millimetres. He then raised up without moving any one of his limbs, his smile stretching wider than ever, his eyes glowing with a maniac, almost insane glee.

"Too bad. Better luck next time, my precious, precious victim," said the strange man, and suddenly, the room went black again as his laughter filled the huge chamber. "Remember... the shadows once lead lives too."

And just as he said that, the darkness inside the room literally started to merge into shapes, to weave bloodhounds, hunched over humans and vultures with glowing, white eyes.

Glenn stumbled backwards in surprise and tripped, not being able to see a thing. She backed away, though the sheild gave her at least minimal comfort. She had to find a way out of this place. She picked herself up and turned and started running.

As soon as Glenn started moving, the shadows howled, shaking the whole room with their voices, their eyes starting to glow with the paradoxical light that the young woman started to know so well. The frightening, animalistic screams summoned even more of the strange beasts, who started to chase after Glenn. Their speed was simply blindingly fast as they started cornering the woman, driving her against the walls. Long, white fangs started to grow out of their mouths as they started opening their jaws, eager to taste their new pray as they surrounded Glenn, locking her in the corner of the absolutely dark room with no way of escaping.

Impatient, one of the shadows jumped at Glenn before the circle was closed completely, entangling her in a mass of shadow, covering her eyes, binding her limbs and wrestling her to the floor. The other beasts howled in anticipation, their fangs and teeth growing longer, their eyes glowing with white darkness.

She winced when she hit the floor, trying to struggle as these shadow beings held her to the floor. She tried to scream but a shadow wrapped itself around her mouth and throat, squeezing a bit tightly and making it hard to breathe. She didn't want to die like this, though she was sure she would. She was trapped, and her sheild and slid across the floor somewhere and out of her hands. She tried kicking and clawing at the shadows but they just tightened their hold on her, almost to the point of bone breaking force.

The shadows howled in anticipation of tasting their pray, baring their fangs to take a bite out of Glenn, but before they could move, cruel, white light flooded the chamber, blinding Glenn for a few seconds. The beasts started to scream in pain, their cries digging into the poor woman's ears, awakening the most primal fears inside of her, then they were literally set on fire by the light. The shadows burned with a cold, unnatural flame that went against all logic, taking in heat instead of providing it, but it still consumed their bodies, slowly eating them away as they disappeared into the cruel, overwhelming light, which was just as unnerving as the darkness of the room.

However, at least there was some hope for Glenn now as footsteps, truly human, familiar footsteps echoed across the chamber, belonging to a tall, casually-dressed male. He looked about thirty years old, and he had shoulder-length, black hair with deep brown eyes that spoke of nothing but optimism and hope even in this deserted place. He approached the poor woman, and extended his hand to her.

"Are you all right, Miss?" asked the man in a strange accent.

"I've been better." She muttered, pushing herself to her feet and dusting herself off and smoothing out the clothes. "If it's arlight with you, I think I'll keep my distance." She said, not sure whether he was friend or foe. "How do we get out of this place?" She asked him, hoping he would now and point her the right way.

"You mean the way out of the Facility, or the way out of this room?" asked the man, respecting Glenn's wishes to keep her distance. "Because I don't know how to get out of the former, and the latter... just look behind me," said the man, pointing to the wall behind him, which was quite simply, gone. In the place where had been a huge, thick, concrete wall, there was now a long, seemingly empty corridor that lead to nowhere, or at least to a distance so far away that its end could not be seen. It was decently lit with lights on the ceiling, but it still seemed dark when compared to the chamber they were in.

"So..." said the man as he inspected the place, his eyes landing on the shield that Glenn was gripping. "I guess you had an encounter with the skeleton knight as well, but you weren't as lucky as me. I'm Andrey. Who're you?" asked the man, still keeping his distance from Glenn, watching her moves intently. It was the stare of someone who was looking for the slightest hint of movement, someone, who was anticipating an attack from her, ready to dodge any move that she may make.

She stared at him as if he were talking another lanquage that she couldn't understand. How could he be making introductions and small talk like he was when they were trapped in this place. Or the...Facility? As he had called it. She decided to use a fake name. "Linda." She lied.

"Then, Linda, I think we should stick together. This place does not take those well who try to solve everything on their own," said Andrey. "Follow me, the corridor should be safe, if that bastard is not up to his games again," continued Andrey, waving towards the not very well-lit hallway, which seemed very ominous now, despite radiating an aura of safety barely a few seconds before. Perhaps it was the fact that it was not as well lit as the chamber they were in now, perhaps it was the sometimes blinking lights, or maybe the fact that the shadows in there seemed to blink every now and then, white eyes briefly appearing as they seemed to test their own vision, before fading into complete darkness.

However, Andrey did not even seem to notice the strange shadows as he made his way towards the entrance of the corridor, then turned back towards Glenn.

"Coming?"

She hesitated, watching as he Andrey walked away. She had no idea if he was friend or foe, but she supposed there was only one way to find out. She guessed he was friend, or at least she hoped he was. She saw the shadows and scurried to catch up with him, hoping the shadows weren't the ones that had just tried to kill her before Andrey had shown up.

As Andrey and Glenn continued their way through the narrow corridor, it became clear that whatever those shadows were, they were certainly alive and looking for prey. As soon as a leg got near them, they tried to wrap themselves around it in vain, brushing the skin slightly, but they had not enough power to do anything. Still, the cold grip of the shadows sent shivers down Glenn's spine, however, Andrey seemed to be unaffected by it, even as the shadows clearly gripped him at times due to his larger statue. However, as the duo advanced through the corridor, the lights got fewer and fewer, meaning that the shadows grew in strength up to a point where Andrey simply stopped.

"Bastard..." muttered the man as he looked into the complete darkness before him, filled with many, blinking white eyes. "He is playing with us again. Linda, can you check if there are any switches, or traces of a pressure plate on the walls?" asked Andrey as he looked up to the lights, which started blinking. "And do hurry up, or we'll have to run."

A pressure plate? She had no idea what that was, but she started feeling along the walls, looking for anything out of the ordinary. Suddenly she found a brick that seemed to be loose. She pried it out of the wall, hanging onto it in case she could use it for a weapon. She felt into the opening the brick had made and found a switch. "I found a switch." She announced, and flipped it. Suddenly the trap door underneath of Glenn sprang open and she screamed, but somehow caught herself on the edge, hanging by her fingers. She heard the brick fall down with her and it continued falling, though she didn't hear it drop.

Andrey was taken aback by the woman's scream, but he managed to control his reaction. Instead of spinning around, he took a step forward, and turned around, mindful of his steps. Upon seeing Glenn's situation, he immediately grabbed hold of the woman's arms, then pulled her right beside him with a single move. When he felt that both of them were on a solid surface, he inspected the hole that opened in the middle of the corridor, blocking their way back to the chamber they came from, his eyes wandering from the large opening towards the switch, which had distinctive, yellow-black markings on it.

"Rule one, always inspect a switch before you press it," sighed Andrey. "I never asked you to actually press it, Linda. Now I think we will have to-" begun Andrey, when suddenly, the lights went out, shrouding the two people in true darkness. "Oh hell. This is not good. Hang on," said Andrey. He took a flashlight out of his pockets and flicked it on, looking all over the place, only to reveal that the corridor has stretched, and became a moderately big room with four exits, and the trap door behind them was gone.

(OOC: What if Andrey and Glenn were to fall in love? Might make it more interesting.)

She trembled against him, her breathing hard and her heart pounding almost painfully in her chest. "I'm s-sorry." She muttered between heavy breathes. She watched him, waiting for him to say what they should do next and wondering how long he had been trapped here.

(OOC: Fine by me. I will not mercilessly kill him off, then...)

Andrey sighed, waving his flashlight around the place they were in, trying to locate a pressure plate or a switch, and failing miserably as the room's walls were too far away for the light to reach them. He then directed the light towards the floor, looking at the tiles, and inspecting them closely. They seemed to be ordinary floor tiles, but as he dragged his hands along their edges, he felt that they were slightly moist with water.

"At least you got us into a safe place," said Andrey, focusing his flashlight on Glenn. "I take it you are completely new here, though, otherwise you would have known about those switches. Anyways, wherever we are, we are safe, at least for now. I hope you can move, though, because it is not going to stay that way for long, especially if that bastard notices us. Just remember to look where you are stepping and avoid any coloured tiles. I will explain everything if we get to a safer place."

She nodded. "I can move." She said, and carefully started getting up, letting out a deep breath. She had decided to tell him her real name now that he had saved her life and proven to be friend, hoping he wouldn't get angry with her. "Um...my name is Linda. I...lied to you. My real name is Glen. I'm sorry but I didn't know if you were a creature here or what." She looked at him apologetically, shifting her foot nervously.

"I guess that is okay. I will just have to call you Glenn in that case," said Andrey as he continued searching with his flashlight. "A healthy amount of paranoia in this place is always a good thing. I could have been that bastard disguising himself as someone else, for example," said Andrey, his flashlight finally coming to rest on one spot, where a tile in the floor was coloured slightly differently than the other ones. He motioned towards Glenn, indicating that she should follow him, and went to investiage the tile more closely. Like with the floor, he dragged his hand across this one too, then shook his head.

"No, this is not the way out. Do not step on this one Glenn, it will likely kill you," sad Andrey as he waved his flashlight around again. "Actually, do you have a flashlight or a torch? If both of us started searching, we will find the way out of here much sooner. Just remember not to touch anything, and not to step on any differently coloured tiles."