The Experimental Nation [Sign-ups closed!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see… Interesting traits… My character is the youngest at seven years old (and the smallest, most likely). He's a boy, but he looks pretty androgynous even with short hair, mainly because he was a child. Combine his looks with how frail he is and his name, and I wouldn't be surprised if most people thought he was a girl at first. Then again, he's almost always covered to keep his skin and eyes from burning underneath the sun. The burns will heal quickly so there's no real damage to Alice, but it still hurts and is uncomfortable for him.

Alice is usually pretty calm for a kid, what with fainting whenever he gets too emotional. Although, quiet is another thing. He'll make requests when he feels like it, like asking if the person carrying him can go and crouch next to a pretty flower. On that note, he's not unashamed at all of being carried. It's how he's always moved around and he kind of expects to be carried with the rest of the group. Not in a haughty sort of way. Just in a, "It's always been like this for me," sort of way. It's pretty likely that he was very confused at the very beginning when no one knew he had to be carried XD .

He is absolutely infatuated with almost everything around him. Being created and born in the lab, he's never been outside. He likes touching new things, except for the ones that emit a light. He is afraid that touching something that creates light might be like touching fire, and he's had a bad experience with fire. Of course, he's been proven wrong on this point more than once, but being a kid, his logic isn't the best thing. Sometimes, when he touches things that are particularly interested, he'll be further tempted and use his powers intentionally. He can be a bit irresponsible with it at times, so it's rare but not unheard of for him to be completely exhausted from power over-usage before half the day is done.

Books are an absolute treasure for Alice, and he loves picture books best of all. This includes those thick artwork books that are actually meant for older audiences. No doubt he's puppy pouted his way into getting other people to carry a few picture books for him to bring along. He's geared for searching for things that give him inspiration. If Alice was old enough to read fluently, he'd probably love comics, fantasy novels, and anything else with fantastical powers and scenes. For now, though, he just wants to learn how to read better so he can understand the things he can't.

All in all, the biggest determiner of who Alice has hung out with is probably going to be who's willing to carry him and the group of people those people hang out with. The people who carry him and/or hang out with the people who carry him more often will naturally know him better.

Reactions: AAB
As with the real me, Vex has an aloof nature, so he's usually cool, calm, and collected when he hasn't been overusing his powers. In fact, some would say he's cold and unfeeling, though he seems to have a soft spot for children, and will often associate more with someone younger than him than those around his age. He hates questions about his personal business and will respond to any in a way that shows it, unless they are young enough to not read social cues very well. He's not really the type to hang out with anyone, preferring to sit alone in his own thoughts. The negative effects of his powers don't completely wear off, either. There's always a small trace of insanity left, so he'll sometimes be seen talking to some inanimate object or an imaginary creature in the air. Not all of the latter are very pretty, either inside or out.

Vexor is the oldest male (excluding the Nameless King) and likes kids who aren't good with social cues? I think I know who carried Alice.

Hmm. Fantine. Well, as her name would suggest, she has french heritage. With that in mind, it's not surprising that the concept of sexuality is not lost on her.(It's not that bad.) She notices most social cues that revolve around romance when it comes to others. So she'll often be a little nosey in the affairs with others. Otherwise, she is almost constantly stripping to the bare minimum due to her power causing her to have a higher body temperature then everyone else. The only way for her to be comfortable is in as close to sleeveless crop top and shorts. It could be snowing and she would be in that, the only difference is that she would be wearing longer shorts.

Yet if someone is wearing revealing clothing, she will stare awkwardly at them before having a mini-panic attack at them showing so much skin. It's one thing if it was her, since it's medical, but another person. She gets embarrassed and awkward.

Surprisingly, she loves cold things. Mostly because she is constantly going through hot flashes with little to no end to them, so ice cream and or snow makes her happy. It's cold and takes off a little heat. But you through her into a body of water. You better look out. If she doesn't die from sinking, she'll be coming after you. Showers are okay, rain is okay, a puddle is okay, but a huge lake. No way. She'll walk around before going directly through one. Some of her favorite things to do is read and nap. Specifically in the shade of a tree with a nice breeze hitting her face every so often. If you want to get on her good side, bring her spicy food. Now the heat of the spice doesn't effect her, so she just gets to experience the flavor. Which is the only reason she enjoys spicy food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rythan. Completely and utterly lost in thought about eighty percent of the day. She is also very aloof in nature, but that is simply because its hard to remember if she's ever seen a flower or if the sun hangs from a string in the sky or not. Reading is something she never really enjoyed -- it always felt like she was repeating the process over and over even before the experimentations in the lab. Instead she took up the art of writing or taking the ink from pens and painting. Being incredibly forgetful her style of writing tends to change each and every time and since sometimes memories come back like a full-force train in her skull, Ry writes very complex stories with big words that seem to mean absolutely nothing. She is very talkative and that could get on some peoples nerves if not careful, but not for over talking, in fact most get angry because she repeats sentences or asks questions the other has already answered. Normal nuisance, except Ry simply doesn't understand what she was doing wrong. She has been discouraged numerous times from the labcoat's constant shushing, but now she doesn't seem to care and the conditions are getting much worse because of this. Her actions can be described as repetitive on bad days and on good ones she's a normal teenager with a very curious nature.

Children seem to enjoy her presence more because their minds are similar.

The opposite sex to her is simply that -- the opposite sex. She was never into the social cues and lacks the flirtatious attitude. Some questions may come off that way, but she's probably asking for you to come with her in some far off area because there was something in the tree and she needed extra hands to boost her up into it. Rythan enjoys building sandcastles and swimming seems to be the only memory that never disappears.

She also knows how to read tarot cards when her memory is good. She got a deck in the lab from a nice guard and brought them along with her.

I have no idea who she would be friends with. I'm still trying to work her out. I can see her playing with Alice maybe? Other than that //shrug xD Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Julia can come off as a bit reckless, acting first and then regretting it only once the result sinks in. Much of it happens due to distraction - say, grabbing something hot without thinking about it - since she lives in a state where focusing on a task and holding a conversation means actively tuning out the silent chatter happening around her. When it comes to her personal safety, the only thing she's completely cautious about is proximity to large or deep bodies of water. Since getting the water to move before she starts drowning is kind of a crapshoot, she prefers not to risk falling in, and will test depths before entering if there's no way around. Crossing water that's higher than her head without help is right out; she knows how to swim, she's just physically unable to float well enough now.

On the topic of chats with random bits of scenery: that's something she tends to do so without thinking about it. The up side's that she doesn't assume that anyone else is weird if they're interacting with things she can't see. She tries to balance out the 'constantly being talked at by dirt' part of her life by interacting with people often. Not that she's chatty...it's more a tendency to always say hello when encountering someone, or asking what somebody's discovered about their surroundings as they pass by, or lending a hand with whatever task they're doing. The way she sees it, they're all trying to survive, might as well help each other do that.

She rarely loses her temper, but it's because she's repressing natural outbursts for fear of what would happen if she didn't. If she just vents however she wants, she winds up stirring up the local landscape on accident.
Inadvertent use of her ability was one of the things they were trying to 'fix' prior to her escape, so while she knows it's a problem, she's got no idea how to prevent it. (Meanwhile, she's got some issues surrounding lack of control as a result.)

Her favorite things are climbing and music, for different reasons. The former is something she'll do even if exhausted, in order to have some peace and quiet while sleeping; she'd rather risk the fall from a tree than to spend every night half-awake. But even under normal circumstances, she likes high places for the view and the challenge of getting there. Music's always something she enjoyed, but since she can't sing (well, it's really not a good idea for her to try it) and doesn't know any instruments, she has to rely on others for that. Anybody who's willing to take part in a song - no matter how terrible their skill is - wins points with her, even if she doesn't normally like them, because they're filling that gap.

I think she could get along well with Tenna. Though their upbringings were completely different, she understands the urge to say "no" when everything around is pushing for compliance. The close ages would help, too. Oh sure, the first time Tenna cut herself Julia was probably startled, but that'd be more by the sheer amount than by the blood itself. Once she understood the situation, she'd try to help where she could, even if that just meant making the evidence disappear into a hole. I can see attempts at sharing info growing into a friendship, maybe?

Reactions: AAB
Still getting a feel for Harper.

Her heart's in the right place, she'll try to go out of her way to aide someone if it is a reasonable demand or even self-benefiting. This can cause tension in her relationships, if it is self-benefiting, because it is the matter of survival after all. As well as being a loud mouth, she sometimes takes pleasure in being difficult -- it's how she learned to cope with the sterile rooms, and boring scientists & soldiers at her laboratory. She'd get them riled with some off-hand comments, and it'd spice things up so that she wasn't so bored all the time. She hasn't made much of a transition yet from this particular behavior, so it tends to emerge once in a while. From interacting with government lackeys for so long, she does not know how a true friendship works, and confuses things up a bit.

If she's to have a friend, she needs someone who is mild or logical compared to her fiery personality. Quiet, shy, fragile physically or emotionally perhaps. Or authoritative.

I'll add on more when I think of it. ~.~

So... So far, we've got one relationship between Tenna and Julia. I can see a few other relationships happening, but I'll focus on my character and keep quiet about others since I don't want to infringe on other people's characters by making assumptions they haven't brought up themselves.

Mm... My character, Alice, looks like he's found two people willing to carry him, Vex and the Nameless King (I remember L saying a while ago that the king would be the type to carry him). I'd imagine Vex and Alice have a quiet-talkative relationship, where Alice talks a lot and Vex doesn't really reply but Alice doesn't care and keeps on babbling and making requests even when they're ignored. I don't know, would that work?

I can't help but think Harper could also carry him, seeing how Harper is the second oldest in the group and sounds like he'd be physically fit? I don't know, is Harper strong enough? If Harper can, then I'm pretty sure Alice fits the physically frail requirement for Harper's friend XD . Not so much the quiet one, though, but I hope being calm makes up for it >< ?

Uh… Other than that, in general, Alice doesn't really have preferences in people he'd like to be with. As long as they're not mean to her and scare her, he'd be fine. So far, the biggest problem is probably Fantine, but I think as long as Fantine doesn't use her powers when she's close to Alice, everything will be good even then.

I can't help but think Harper could also carry him, seeing how Harper is the second oldest in the group and sounds like he'd be physically fit? I don't know, is Harper strong enough? If Harper can, then I'm pretty sure Alice fits the physically frail requirement for Harper's friend XD . Not so much the quiet one, though, but I hope being calm makes up for it >< ?

Correct. She would carry Alice. What I had put fits more of who can sort of keep her in check? Or who she would get along with the best, honestly. She would get along with everyone, but I guess she would have favorites because that's how she is. xD

I'd imagine Vex and Alice have a quiet-talkative relationship, where Alice talks a lot and Vex doesn't really reply but Alice doesn't care and keeps on babbling and making requests even when they're ignored. I don't know, would that work?

I'm sure it could work that way. As I said, he doesn't mind being questioned by those with innocent hearts, though he may ignore the question if it's too personal.

Been meaning to post; sorry.

A few quirks about Alta?

I'm not quiet sure if I have fleshed her out completely. Not just yet anyway. I figure with her type of powers that social interaction wouldn't exactly be her forte. Choosing to seek solace in her own solitude. Though from years of being studied and forced to come into her own self she has gotten better at ignoring the careless thoughts that drift her way. This will probably the first real time she's had to be around people in a consistent manner. Also due to the nature of her abilities she may tend to mimic the behavior of the thoughts that do slip by; a sort of joining of the personalities. So that might become interesting later on.

She's not exactly the brooding type, just to be clear, with her solitude. Just overly odd but that may be due to the fact she doesn't always know who or where she is.

All right, it is time for me to start kicking things into gear. Sorry for getting around to it just now, but I was a little bit busy. The IC should be up soon, but I am still not entirely completed with everything I need, however, at the worst, I will be done by Saturday. A much earlier date is very likely, though.

As for the Nameless King, he is somewhat of an enigma. He does not open up to people easily, not to mention that he looks intimidating, but he is good at his heart and he has a way with words. Though he is not a manipulator, he uses his skill to motivate or change people's opinions about what will happen. He is the guy who would spend most of the journey silent, however, when he saw that the people around him needed encouraging words or a shoulder to lean on, he would stop and hold a speech to keep their spirits as if they had not just walked miles. His strength never seems to falter even though he has been through the hardest times of his life, he always seems to hold himself with pride and spirit.

He prefers actions to words very much. Other characters will often find him speaking through what he does rather than saying something, for example, instead of asking if someone was thirsty, he would give a water jug to every member of the group to drink and pass it along. His willpower and determination are his two strongest points, but perhaps they are also his weaknesses.

Last but not least, I am going to do an activity ping to see if any people would like to drop out at the last moment.
@Vexor
@Angel of Castiel
@Renegade Proxy
@EMajyyks
@Nightstealer
@Lucifers Sairen
@Smo
@AAB
@HecateProxy
@Thomas McTavish
@SquishyMath
@HeadlessKoko