The Expanse on Sci-fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Captain Illiterate

Original poster
It's fucking great. I just finished episode 1 and was surprised by how much I liked it. Anyone else watching it?

Just finished the most recent episode here - not only has it stuck to its source material surprisingly well, but it doesn't suffer from the normal plagues of Syfy originals. It's a pleasant surprise turn from its other B-rated series, equatable to something you'd find on USA for sure.

Reactions: Captain Illiterate
I've seen previews, it looks good. I haven't actually sat down to watch it. I might soon.

Definitely my type of thing. Crossing fingers for a Netflix release for my part of the world.

I've torrented so many comics I don't think I can afford this...
Just gonna snoop around for free episodes somewhere I guess.
I buy all the ones I think deserve support and help and are really worth it.

I torrent the rest, because to buy them all would cost hundreds a month. >>;;

This is on my to watch list. I just haven't gotten to it

Exellent show. About as hard a sci-fi can get and still have serius mainstream possibility. Exellent acting. Great work with building atmosphere.

Hmm, I've never heard of this. What is it about?

Hmm, I've never heard of this. What is it about?

Taken from the back of the book the Show is based on:

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, "The Scopuli," they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to "The Scopuli" and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I even went and read the book it was based on.

It's already been renewed for season 2.

It's already been renewed for season 2.
It'll be interesting how they handle season 2 - they've added a character that didn't show up until the second book (though I did enjoy their inclusion of her, partially because she's my favorite, partially because they handled it so well). Either way, I'm actually excited for a Syfy show and I think that once the writers and the actors come into their own, the show will only go up.

It'll be interesting how they handle season 2 - they've added a character that didn't show up until the second book (though I did enjoy their inclusion of her, partially because she's my favorite, partially because they handled it so well). Either way, I'm actually excited for a Syfy show and I think that once the writers and the actors come into their own, the show will only go up.
I've only ever read Leviathan Wakes. I think I have the next two but i've never read them.

On an unrelated note, Dark Intelligence by Neal Asher was a really good sci-fi book i've read recently.

I've only ever read Leviathan Wakes. I think I have the next two but i've never read them.
I'm not sure how much I enjoy the next two books in the series - they're still good, just, a different type of book than the first one. It loses a bit of the noir, becomes more grandiose space opera. Actually, no, not going to question how good the books are - they're still good - it's just an unexpected shift.

On an unrelated note, Dark Intelligence by Neal Asher was a really good sci-fi book i've read recently.
That's on my read list. Picked up about two-three days ago.

Haven't watched it yet.
All I know is that Mr. Toufexis is in it.
And his role? I'm not even sure if he asked for it or not.

Interestingly, I've heard they're not going to get through all of the first novel this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.