The Cuddly Goober
+Locations will be added as the RP progresses!
In a time lost and forgotten, demons and monsters ruled the earth. Humans were cast into hiding, scared, afraid, and most certainly lost. Though monsters were the more passive of the ruling species, but stayed out of the demon's way, the demons sought the humans for possession of their souls. Out of any creature on earth, human souls were the most potent. Why? Because of their close spiritual link with the very being the demons feared. Human souls wouldn't kill them on contact like any holy being, rather they would empower them. Monster souls were very similar, but they were weaker and less sought for than human souls. One day the human's cries were finally answered; both the demons and monsters were punished. The demons because of eating and collecting human souls for power, and the monsters for allowing it to happen and sometimes even assisting with slave trades. The demons were banished to a fiery pit, the monsters given a much less severe punishment; They were to spend ten thousand years on an unreachable island within what is known today as the Bermuda Triangle, at the heart of the formation. Anytime a monster would try to leave, the boat would just enter a fog and then cause them to end up right where they started. Monsters gave up trying to leave and established a civilization as the world outside continued to evolve faster and faster.
And soon, their long period of waiting was done. The mist around the island finally dispersed. Though the monsters of then were terrified to leave their home, fearing they'd be killed by the elements or humans. A group of monsters bearing gifts for them set sail, ending up on the soil of the Bahamas. They met the natives, showing that they had come in peace. The first couple months, the humans were afraid of their presence, but they soon calmed down and softened up to them. The monsters came back to their home island to report the news. Overjoyed yet cautious, more and more monsters were deployed, all over, to seek peace with the humans.
Decades later, they were accepted into society, though having some racism on their backs. They still had a lot to learn of this new world they hadn't stepped into for a long time. Everything was finally happy...
Until the attacks started.
Cities were suddenly burned down on a few consecutive nights. Humans and monsters alike were killed. Both species were scared for one another's safety, but before fingers could be thrown to the other, the Second Coming occurred.
It was as if the sky broke open; angels and Etheral beings alike, coming down, and seeming plentiful afraid. The angels alerted both species that a terrible thing had happened; an unbalance of sorts. It had completely set the demons free, and destroyed their home in the process. A plan was to be made. The Arcangels, the leaders with multiple wings and heavily armored, commanded a group of both humans, and monsters, were to come together. A new place to live was to be set in order, but they could not take the currently 15 billion residents of the earth at once. Their power would wear from creating the dimension alone, and it would take long after the demons had killed everyone to be able to have enough power to pull everyone in. Time was finite and they needed to devise a plan to eradicate the demons. The dimension was made, which was later named the Aether, and the group of humans and monsters got to work. It was then learned that the lower tier angels and Etherals could create portals of their own into the dimension. This got the group to thinking. They could create an organization, using the Etherals to create a gateway between the worlds, and slowly bring more and more people in.
Twenty years later, a grand city sat in the middle of the world, the demon slaying organization, otherwise known as the Espers, continued their work. The most they could do was save those who were the survivors of a demon attack, since they could not track where the demon's locations as they decided where next to hit. Any children brought in were taught how to fight demons, and were immediately put to work. Everyone in the Espers was to befriend an Etheral, and go out on missions to rescue, or slay targetted demons, to be payed with the world's currency, Euries, in return.
Missions are both a way to earn money, and to rid the world of demons. They are ranked by how dangerous and intelligent they are.
Demons are difficult and dangerous to combat on one's own, no matter how low ranked or stupid they are. A minimum of three people, and a maximum of five, one of them having to be a Bachelor, are needed to preform a mission. They are posted on the board and renewed every week, and every finished/taken mission is marked with a red dash on the upper right part of the paper. Sometimes all the missions are taken and one would have to wait until Saturday for a renewal.
This is the list of mission ranking, the highest is Class A*** and the lowest is class C-
A***- This group of demons is thrown to the oldest, wisest, and most powerful demons. They have been around since the imprisonment. It would take an entire army of people and monsters wielding the Ethereal's full power and to tolerate it for long to kill one.
These ranked missions are never seen on the board.
A**- These demons are not too different from the previous rank, aside from a large strength difference.
A*- These demons are ranging in at even smarter than humans. They know methods to get their food and do their ways without having to even lift a claw. They're masterminds in manipulation.
A- These demons are intelligent, and quite tricky. They know better than to lumber around and crush towns, marking these demons as the more elusive crowd.
B*- These demons are straying towards slightly higher intelligence, probably an IQ of 60, their activity mostly pointed to property or possession damage.
B- The demons in this category only have enough intelligence to know how to speak, and only cause mischief and are quite annoying.
C- These demons only have a scrap of human behavior, though mostly roam haphazardly like a rabid animal.
C- - These demons have no humanity, no motives, only know to roam around, eat souls, and destroy things.
Every member of the Esper falls under a certain rank, may it be achieved by skill, the power of their weapon and bond with their Ethereal, or having an idenifiable personality trait.
A male or female under the age of 14. They're not exactly a part of the Espers yet, though are training and close protection of them. They cannot do missions.
A male or female of the age of 14 or a little older. They have just started official work as a part of the Espers. To prove they are ready, they must take an entrance exam; working with their Ethereal to summon their weapon, and show they've evenly split their power. They are able to preform only up to B ranked missions.
A member of the Espers who is recognized for a great deed and is then promoted. The Bachelor is able to lead their comrades on missions.
The Bannerette is a much more recognized member of the Espers who has shown great leadership, control, and power. Their position is to watch over the missions and report any saved people or horribly injured people. They are able to go on missions, though their current job is funded by the government, so it really isn't needed unless they need some more Euries in a short spurt of time.
A member of the militia part of the Espers that go to the front lines. They frequently leave through portals to save humans and monsters from demon-caused destruction. Consideing they're frequently at the front lines, they are funded by the government as most of their income.
A commander is promoted solely on how powerful their weapon and Ethereal are. The four of them are deemed the most experienced and powerful out of anyone in the militia aside from the Grand Master. They sometimes are even able to wield the full power of an Ethereal for a short spout of time without their soul extinguishing.
Considered the most powerful of the Espers, the Grand Master has definitely earned their title. They oversee everything in both the military and normal ranks, deeming those who are worthy to become the next rank.
Sometimes, people's weapons aren't made for fighting. They're healing based. Those with weapons as such are appointed as medics. They are taught about how to properly use their ability, and put it to use. They cannot go on missions, though are quite fairly funded by the government because of their scarcity and how much they would need healing magic.
With some people, a weapon isnt even created. It's just a ball of any color light. These people are ranked as Elementals. They have some defect within their soul that prevents their weapon from forming properly and forces it to remain in what seems to be it's simplistic form. They cannot be wielded for combat, but can be used for practical things, such as lighting a fireplace, kickstarting an engine, even bring life back to a garden. They are treated on the same level as Citizens because they fear if they're allowed to go on missions, the demon would easily eat them.
Just normal, law-abiding people of the various towns. Majority of them are unable to wield an Ethereal's power for plenty of reasons, or are children too young to take up Page work. Others are just retired Espers or those too injured to continue their work.
Not too much to say about monsters; they're actually very similar to humans despite looks. They normally take the appearance of a humanoid animal. They take up some of the army, being viewed as valuable allies.
Ethereals are creatures who are truly the animal equivalent of angels. They act as guardians, trackers, and even companions.
Ethereals aren't chosen; they chose who their partner will be, in a sense of sensing their spirits and knowing their compatibility.
Ethereals abilities vary, from being able to change their form, to healing people with a nuzzle.
They never harm unless told to, or knows it's an evil force. They are completely against harming people without a proper reason.
Ethereals are tiered determining their abilities, size, and strength.
The usual tier of Ethereals that Pages obtain. They are fairly small, one could even call them babies or children. They don't have quite the amount of strength yet, but they are the easiest to train with for children, since both of their souls are around the same level of weakness.
Ethereals in this tier take up majority of the Espers. They are just one bump up in power, and they can do much more with their power than before. They appear larger than before, to match with their soul's strength.
This tier is considered the majority/average.
Tier 3s are considered the most powerful form of Ethereals. Not many have succeeded in becoming so powerful. They are also considered rare, since mostly only the Grand Master owns one. They have been known to be able to fully merge with their partner's soul, creating a temorarily powerful being, almost as powerful as a full-fledged angel.
Ethereals all look different; from what could look like a housepet, to a divine beast. They could even take the form of a humanoid, but it takes a lot of magic to succeed.
There are two ways Ethereals reproduce.
Reinarnation- Ethereals don't truly die; they only revert back to their first stage with no memory of what happened before.
Splitting- Ethereals, when at a certain stage, are able to split part of their being into a new, living Ethereal. The Ethereal born from it can either look exactly like the parent, or be an entirely new species.
Demons are rather mysterious, other than the fact that they're wicked, smart, and eat souls. People have been trying to figure out exactly how they work, only a few things being found out:
-Certain demons give certain diseases
-Certain forms of demons can determine their intelligence
-When a demon is in attack mode, they have to reveal their "heart"
Demons are classified depending on size, shape, strength, and intellgience. Though they sometimes may not fall into one category, their intelligence may vary, but they are described by any other similar in species, so an intellgient demon in what is a class of normally dim-witted demons may be underlined as rare.
Beast - Demons who trod on four legs. Looks the most like an animal. Not very intelligent
Walker - Demons who walk on their hind legs. Sometimes they use front arms to assist in balance, but it mostly is their hind legs. Somewhat intellgient, mostly the mischievious ones.
Flight - Demons who are able to fly. They normally have the intellgience of, well, a bird.
Beast - Walker - The mixture of these two classes can hail a much stronger hybrid. They can walk on both four and two legs, and are rather fast in their movements. Intelligence varies.
Beast - Flight - This hybrid is both able to walk on fours and fly. They are deemed very intelligent. Tricky, even.
Devil - These demons are about the strongest, smartest, non-ancient class out of all of them. They can bear several different characteristics and are normally the class to transmit diseases.
Ancient - This class is the most dangerous group of demons to exist. Only the militia deals with them.
Chrysalis - Afflicted by insect-esque demons. If they have an egg sac, they are able to inject one of it's eggs into a human or monster via attack. It takes the next time the person falls asleep for the egg to hatch, so they could end up doing whatever until they fall asleep, and when they wake up they have an extremely pale complexion and feel rather drained. This is caused by the hatching having successfully latched onto and consuming the soul. The process takes an entire week within several steps. The Larva stage, the Post-Larva stage, the Chrysalis stage, and finally the Adult stage. The Post-Larva stage's signs are high fever, memory problems, Loose bowels, and over-eating. Normally after this stage is complete, the victim is taken into the hospital. They are unable to remove the parasite after it hatches, since it would cause severe damage to the soul. When the Chrysalis stage begins, the person's eyes seem to become duller and duller, their skin getting rougher and flakier, like a molting reptile. Their chest has a darker hue as the demon continues to feed on the soul, even in it's chrysalis form. At this point the victim appears to lose their humanity. They cannot remember anyone who they see, even if they reintroduce. Their ability to retain memory or display emotion is completely gone. The Adult stage begins when the victim's body finally gives out. The adult breaks from the chest area and attempts to fly around and eat any souls it can find, which is dealt with immediately.
Madness - This is caused by higher-tiered demons, normally those associated with the mind or emotions. This has a broad spectrum of effects; though it all draws down to one thing; the victim loses their mind or their humanity. The only treatment for this disease is therapy and pills, though the afflicted are still convinced to go on missions.
Terror - A rather bothersome and potentially fatal illness. It can be casted by either mental demons, or certain types of poison. This instills terror in the victim, hench it's name. It can be accompanied by fever, weak muscles, and constant sweating. The afflicted is forced into a state of paranoia and panic, anxiety being their root personality during this illness's take. Their chances for an ulcer, aneurysm, heart attack, or any stress-caused illness are spiked. The only cure is to keep them in a calm environment until the symptoms pass.
Paralysis - A disease inflicted mainly by poisoning. The victim is unable to move their body for an uncertain amount of time, may it be temporary and quick, or last for months on end.
Unknown - Any disease that doesnt fall into one category of known afflictions. They are having to be thoroughly researched and come with a cure, but sometimes they only happen once, so they have to make a cure for specifically those afflicted.
Human souls - They are both the closest in connection to 'the creator' for a mundane creature, and the way for a demon to become powerful via consumption. Though they are close to how an angel's soul is form, because of the human's granted free will's ability to go down a bad path, their souls are basically a not-so-pure version of an angel's soul. Even so, they can easily bond part of their soul's power with an Ethereals and produce a weapon.
Monster souls - Monster souls may not be as powerful as a human soul, but they are both less of a target for demons, and can easily bond part their soul's power with an Ethereal's, even can take having an Ethereal's entire soul within them than a human. This is because they were not created the same way as humans, and thus did not have the same expectations in life as them, making them more pure of soul. Majority of monsters are peace-lovers, leading researchers to believe their souls are mostly made of positive emotions, rather than a mix with humans.
Ethereal souls - Ethereal souls are best described as a simple angel soul. As their power grows, so does their soul. They are able to bond with humans and monsters, creating a sort of holy weapon for them, which is the only way to slay demons.
Angel souls - Angel souls are completely potent and pure. They are both people who have died holding onto good intentions, and those who have lived up there since the beginning. They have a fair amount of power, more than a Tier 3 Ethereal.
Archangel souls - Archangel souls have immense power, as they were created to be the ultimate guardians of their realm. They have enough joined power to create, or even destroy a dimension.
Demon souls - The exact polar opposite of an angel's soul; both powerful but impure. This negative soul is thought to be the source of negativity in the world.
Ancient demon souls - Basically are demon souls powered up by the continuous consumption of many, many human souls, and having lived a long lifespan. These are deemed the ultimate evil, the most powerful evil beings to exist.
CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Credit to Rusty for rules 1-5! >u0
1. GM has last say. If you and a GM are in a fight, (stop breaking rule 2, and) ask the main GM, and they decide.
2. Don't fight, especially with a GM, if you find something unfair, just ask a GM. Don't like their answer? Step up to the main GM, still don't like the answer? Explain why in one, clear, very specific PM to the main GM, stating your reasoning. Main GM still has the last say, though.
3. We're all here to have fun and enjoy the RP. Don't powerplay or metagame, that's simply not fun for others.
4. I can't stress enough... Do not fight. If you do, both sides are at fault for not taking it to PMs or asking a GM. If you think something's turning into a fight, keep it to two posts each before you take it directly to PMs and let others enjoy their fun.
5. If for some reason, you'll be away for a bit, or even just feel so opposed to posting that you won't post for a couple days or more, tell someone, please. If you don't post for two days and you're holding someone up, you will be skipped and others will act as if you weren't there in the first place.
6. Please do NOT try to do or find any loopholes in the rules so you can make with your mischief. Even if it may not technically be against the rules, if it is a bother to the community and you are acting out of malice, we will ask you put a stop to it, or you are out of the rp.
7. Please do obey the Iwaku forum board rules.
8. Keep anything 18+ to spoiler (WITH A WARNING OF EXPLICIT DETAILS. IF YOU FAIL TO ADD THIS YOU ARE OUT IMMEDIATELY.) or pm ONLY. This isn't a Liberteen/tine rp.
9. Please do have your posts be a reasonable length. If we notice you're only putting two sentences of effort into it when you could be putting more in the situation, and are constantly posting shorter than 5 sentences, we will brief it with you to be more detailed. Failure to improve results in a kick. The favored length of a post is 1-2 paragraphs (Detail and character movement ALONE, without dialogue as a stepping stool.)
1. Your character can be a monster, human, or a hybrid of those two ONLY. Angels and Demons cannot reproduce with humans or monsters, so don't even bother pulling that. Don't try to pull some nonsense like your character was infused with demon/angel blood so that makes them part- No. No. Angels and Demons aren't solid, blood-carrying creatures to begin with. Demons may carry pure malice, but that is impossible to collect, considering it sizzles away in seconds on any surface. Even if they could have some form of essence extracted, it would kill someone within seconds of holding it within them.
2. Your character cannot start out in a rank higher than Bachelor without consent. Anyone of any age over 11 or so can be a Page, Squire, Balchelor, etc., so your age is not rank specific.
3. If your character is just starting out, their Ethereal HAS to be a Tier 1. Tier 1's maximum size is a miniature pony. Don't complain.
4. Don't try to make your character have "Main Character Syndrome" or "Special Snowflake Syndrome". What I mean is, for example: "Oh, Nalia was born with an extremely powerful soul!" or "Edwin was able to attract a Tier 3 Ethereal, what luck!" and most certainly "Riena was promoted to Commander at age 8! She's such a talented kid!". These are all lazy and bullshit reasons to have your character be powerful or talented early on, and to have them have an excuse to be above everyone else. That is not going to cut it here.
5. Don't be bullshit with technology here...
Even if it's the distant future, don't be bullshit with the technology such as whipping out a cellphone during battle. Espers do not use technology on duty. Things like TVs and computers exist and are used, but nothing like motor vehicles or huge machines were able to be brought over or used, when really they don't need to be used.
6. No Mary-Gary sues! You know what i'm talking about, so you know what not to do here.
7. Be reasonable with it if your character is affected by a demonic illness. If your character is afflicted with Madness, don't have them going through the streets, killing people and crap. There has to be a build-up to them losing it, and besides, everyone will recognize your strange symptoms and bring you to the hospital, with or against your will, so don't pull the "But she/he never got checked at." excuse just for your character to go wild.
8. Your summoned weapon is not able to kill anything but demons. It's mainly why there isn't many murder cases in the Aether; The weapons can't harm angelic or mundane beings.
9. Your summoned weapon has height limits by rank and experience. Your character can't possibly have trained with their weapon for 1 year and expect to even be able to whip it out when it's needed.
Page: Probably unable to summon all the time - 1 foot long at maximum
Squire-Bachelorette: Normally 2-5 feet
Seargent-Grand Master: 6-9 feet
10. Your summoned weapon cannot be a gun or a bow an arrow. Projectile weapons are impossible in this world and they aren't formed.
11. If your character is a monster, do not have them be half vampire or whatever. Mythological creatures do NOT exist in this world. You can have your character have batty traits, but stuff like burning in the sunlight is not possible, which goes onto our next rule...
12. If your character is a monster, or even HALF monster, THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY SPECIAL ABILITIES. A monster has just as much power as a human. Never have I stated that monsters had powers of their own. That would put them on an unequal ground, since a special ability, plus a weapon, plus an Ethereal would unbalance EVERYTHING.
13. Im sure some of you may be confused, but if your character is part or completely monster, do NOT HAVE DISCRIMINATION BE A HUGE PART OF THEIR BACKSTORY. The harsh racism stopped before their grandparents were even spermed, and monsters are VERY heavily valued as a part of the Ethereals due to them having better control of their weapons, even hybriding is encouraged. This rule kind of tacks onto the special snowflake rule, so that gives you even more of a reason to think it's a bad idea. DON'T DO IT.
(Items marked with * are optional)
Appearance: Description/Anime/Realistic-ish drawing please!
Species: (Human, Monster, or Human-Monster hybrids ONLY)
Age (+Date of Birth):
History: (At least two paragraphs)
Personality: (At least 1 paragraph)
Demonic Illness?: (DO NOT ADD TO UNLESS YOUR CHARACTER HAS BEEN AFFLICTED IC OR HAS A REASON IN THEIR HISTORY AS TO WHY THEY HAVE IT. Put yes or no, stating which they have, but remember, Chrysalis is process-fatal.)
(Rate on a scale of 1-100; remember this will normally change throughout what your character does IC.)
(ONLY IF CHARACTER IS WORKING UNDER MEDICAL CARE/THE ESPERS)
YOE: (Years of Experience; Basically how long you have been working in your position. Page years do not count for Espers)
Weapon: (Remember, your weapon doesn't have to be one that exists irl, you can find a strange looking one online, as long as it doesn't hit the length limits for your rank.)
Last edited by a moderator: