The Era of Change: Find Your Place

A

Arashi

Original poster

It's a new and changing Japan. Find your place.

In late 19th Japan, times are changing. The Meiji Era has seen the feudal system crumble and the first railway line built. New ways of life are being ushered in and political changes are everywhere. In this new Japan, many people struggle to grasp the changes in their country and their lives. There is unrest everywhere, from the northernmost island of Hokkaido where the native Ainu peoples still fight to keep their own culture, to the new capital renamed as "Tokyo." The last revolt from the samurai who had their power and status taken from them was in Tokyo. That was several years ago; now only a couple hundred former samurai remain. If any Oniwabanshuu ninjas are left, they are usually quiet and hidden as ninjas are supposed to be. Lastly, more and more foreigners are entering the country to share their knowledge with Japan.

With all these changes, many have difficulty finding their place in society. Some refuse to accept the changes; some attempt to embrace them.
Find your place or make your own.

Stuff you should probably read:

Hopefully I don't need to explain the rules to you. Use your head; don't make invincible characters, don't try to control a character that is not your own, etc. I trust you (for the most part) to make wise decisions. If you need help or have questions, shoot me a PM or just post it here.

Now! On to brighter, happier things. The basic concept of Era of Change was born from Rurouni Kenshin. It's based on a real world and real events, but fictional mostly-human characters. The same goes with EoC. You can have absurdly strong characters, ninjas, people with fighting techniques that surpass that of normal humans, and pretty much anything as long as it isn't delving into the realm of supah-fantasy. In other words no cat-eared people, shapeshifters, saiyans, people with wings, or magic wands. Be creative with how to make humans surpass their normal limits. This can be done through training, lifestyle, interesting pasts, or just plain talent. You get the point.

Action, romance, bucket-fulls of humor, and fun adventures are all part of this. (But no doing the nasty in the IC; fade to black or whatever.)

There should only be about three or four non-Japanese foreigners. You are allowed to have two characters, but no more.

Here's an explanation of what I want in your character sheets:
Name: (What are they called?)
Race: (Where are they from? Are they American? Japanese? Chinese? European? Kenyan?)
Appearance: (I want to see words. You can have a picture, but at least add a few sentences of detail. Height, build, scars, usual clothing, etc.)
Goals/ Purposes: (What does your character want to accomplish? Do they even know? Is there something that they live for?)
Talents: (What are they good at? Fighting? Doing something professional? Being a ninja? Having babies?)
Fighting Style: (If applicable, what do they fight with? Any special techniques or abilities?)
Personality: (How do they usually act, and how do they act in strange situations?)
History: (Where were they born, raised, trained, blah blah blah, how did they get to Japan?)
Extras: (Are they blind? Do they hate kittens? Are they horrible with a sword? Are they incapable of climbing anything over four feet high?)

And here's the character sheet. Fill it out and post it here so I can give it the Ara Seal of Approval.
Name:
Appearance:
Goals/ Purposes:
Talents:
Fighting Style:
Personality:
History:
Extras:

Hello, Arashi. Was there any role in particular you were looking to be filled? I'm interested in your game and should have the bio up by this weekend.

'Sup, homie. I think I've got an American, a Chinese person, possibly another American, and someone else. We could use some Japanese characters other than my own, but you can be whatever you please.

Definitely interested. I will try to have character posted sometime today. She will be Japanese. But, I have an odd question... Can she be a ninja under a disguise of a Geisha? She'll be one trying to figure out what to do now with her world changing around her. Looking for her place in society really. She is a work in progress.

Working on my character, cause this seems so fun!

Name: Misuto Miyazaki
Race: Human
Appearance: She is about 163 cm with raven black hair and ice blue eyes (just one of her odities).
tumblr_lnjg8oX8aW1qm18lbo1_500.jpg
__melancholic_Aqua_maiden___by_sakimichan.jpg
[/img]
Goals/ Purposes:
Talents: Extremely talented and lightning quick with senbon needles, shuriken, kunai, etc. She is more than capable of wielding a katana when it comes to close range combat. Animals are one of her other talents, she can somewhat communicate with them and can work along side them in fights extremely well.
Fighting Style: She uses various fighting styles, but prefers to target from farther away to give herself an advantage.
Personality: Misuto is a distant and cold person when you first meet her, but is very loyal to those she deems as her friends.
History:
Extras:

Sorry for the delay. Duty called.

I'm ready to check some character apps, but take your time.

Ichigo-- Sounds like you have a ninja girl goin' on there. Being a ninja is awesome enough on its own, though... adding the animal thing is a little too much for a ninja that has mad skillz with senbon, shuriken, and kunai. I'd also recommend researching ninja stuff, by the way. It's really cool, and could improve your understanding of your character or give you solid ideas. As far as the animal thing goes, as long as it's not a mind-reading, friend-to-all-living-things, able-to-converse-with-animals, sing-to-make-them-sew-a-dress kind of thing, I'll accept it. I'm fascinated about how she learned to work with animals; it could be a clan skill where everyone in the clan learned to understand a certain animal's body language and how to train a certain animal.

Name: Kurai.

Race: Japanese

Occupation: Shinobi - specialized in infiltration. Easily blends in with the people in a town, city or group.

Appearance: 5' 11 in height, he has chocolate brown eyes and black hair that is cut to above his chin. Build because of the work he does, he does not appear so because his clothes are that of the area he is in.

Goals/ Purposes: With this era basically falling apart, it puts him in a place of uncertainty, his job basically at risk. No one quite sure who they are supposed to serve, he kind of hides in "plain sight" until he knows/figures out what he's supposed to do.

Talents: His is good at blending in anywhere, which was handy for the type of jobs he used to be given. From studying people so much, he does well with interactions.

Fighting Style: He is more of a stealth type, so he does not usually have a full on "fight". But his best is his "Fluid Knife" style.

Personality: Usually is more calm. Level headed. Seen as kind. Kind enough to be forgotten. But his true feelings have been buried for his job's sake and has not had to deal with them in a while. With this era of life coming down, he just may have to.

History: Born in Japan, he was an orphan due to a war that had destroyed his family. Having no parents, he was accepted by a gentleman who raised him to be a ninja.

Extras: Because of his life, he can be a bit detached and appear cold. But most about him will probably be soon discovered as he is thrown into this new world.

Oyoa-- Accepted.

I'll be posting a character within a few days.

It's never too late to join.

We should figure out how the characters will come together once we get a few more in.

Hey folks. Sorry I still haven't created my character... but honestly, I am waiting for y'all to complete your characters so I can see what gaps need filling! New peeps are welcome as well, of course. Step right up :)

Name: Nico Raeban

Occupation: During the day he works in the Miyakoshiya cafe(He owns the cafe, but likes to talk with customers), but after his shift is done he works the club. Gets everybody fired up by dancing, etc.

Appearance: Standing at 6' 1" Nico has a wiry build, more lean muscle than bulk. His hair is about shoulder length and Pink, and his eyes a pale grey. He can be seen wearing Phat pants almost all the time, and occasionally wears a hoodie.

Goals/ Purposes: Have fun, live his life, meet someone and fall in love. His main goal is to just see where his life goes, oh and

Talents: Dancing, Parkour, Running

Fighting Style: Muay Tai taught to him by his foster parent, and whatever he thinks could be used in a fight. He usually tends to just leave the fight, since he doesn't like to fight.

Personality: Has a calm personality with everyone around him, and is very passionate about what he says. He's headstrong though, and doesn't like to listen to people telling him what to do. In unusual circumstances he doesn't act any different other than to figure out the reason for whatever happened.

History: Was born and raised in japan, but after his mother was killed in the war, his dad began to drink. Usually he'd just ignore Nico then, but from time to time Nico's dad would beat him. Eventually he told authorities, and he was sent to a foster home. There he has lived since he left his real home at seven, the man that took him in was kind and caring, but most of all understanding. He taught Nico many things. Eventually though all good things come to an end, and the man whom Nico had come to know as a Sensei or father, passed away at the age of 46. Nico having, just turned 17, was entitled to be able to live on his own. SO when the will was read and it said that Nico's foster gave all his possessions to Nico, he continued to live there.

Extras: Loves to Rave. Dances many different types of dances, but likes shuffling the best. Absolutely hates being in enclosed places, such as a small room or box or even just wrapped in blankets. Can cope with a large area, but loves to be outside and up high.

Hey there :)

When I said "late 19th century Japan," that means the late 1800's. Raves, parkour, shuffling, hoodies, official foster systems, clubs, and Phat pants do not exist in that world. A form of cafe could exist for sure, though, and I really like his unique fighting style learned from his sort-of father. You can definitely build
this character around him meeting this adoptive parent and becoming a student of the Muay Thai fighting style all while the both of them work at a restaurant. Just make sure this character fits into the time period.

By the way, under "goals and purposes", you ended with 'oh, and'... I'm curious! What's the rest of the sentence?? Haha.

*Face Palm* Oops didn't see the 19th century part, sorry for that. And the thing on goals was unfinished because i had to post it right away, but i can't remember what i was going to say now. So if i do remember, it'll be in there soon. Hows this for a fix-up of the skelly

Name: Nico Raeban

Occupation: During the day he works in the Miyakoshiya cafe(He owns the cafe, but likes to talk with customers), During the night after his shift he trains most night in a small clearing he an his "father" set up to practice and hone his skills.

Appearance: Standing at 6' 1" Nico has a wiry build, more lean muscle than bulk. His hair is about shoulder length and White, and his eyes a pale grey. He can be seen wearing a Kimono during work hours, any other time he wears pants and a random shirt with no graphic

Goals/ Purposes: Have fun, live his life, meet someone and fall in love. His main goal is to just see where his life goes, oh and to become a complet master of Muay Tai

Talents: Cooking, Fighting(When he can't leave the fight), and Writing

Fighting Style: Muay Tai taught to him by his foster parent, and whatever he thinks could be used in a fight. He doesn't out right love to cause people pain, but he loves to fight. It manages to allow him to not hold back and just be absorbed by it. Muay Tai is centered around using eight points of attack; both fists, elbows, feet, and knees.

Personality: Has a calm personality with everyone around him, and is very passionate about what he says. He's headstrong though, and doesn't like to listen to people telling him what to do. In unusual circumstances he doesn't act any different other than to figure out the reason for whatever happened.

History: Was born and raised in japan, but after his mother was killed in the war, his dad began to drink. Usually he'd just ignore Nico then, but from time to time Nico's dad would beat him. Eventually he left, and ran away. An old man saw him sleeping in the middle of a tree one night and called him down to come to his home. There he has lived since he left his real home at seven, the man that took him in was kind and caring, but most of all understanding. He taught Nico many things. Eventually though all good things come to an end, and the man whom Nico had come to know as a Sensei or father, passed away at the age of 63. Nico having, just turned 17, was entitled to be able to live on his own. So when "Sensei" died, the obvious person to inherit his land and possessions was Nico.

Extras: Absolutely hates being in enclosed places, such as a small room or box or even just wrapped in blankets. Can cope with a large area, but loves to be outside and up high. He writes Haiku and other forms of poetry, but he is only a novice in it.

Soul-- There we go. Good job, and accepted!

Ela-- Love the picture, love Hanami. Accepted!

You guys wanna help me figure out where to start the roleplay so that all the characters will have a real reason to meet up and adventure?

I was planning on having some sort of conflict between a fictional group of villains and the characters we have here.

I think what you were planning sounds quite good, maybe have the disturbance take place outside Nico's cafe or something? I'm not sure what really it could be about, but that would kind of make sense as a starting point.

I've been watching too much Rurouni recently, I keep thinking of instances from the anime when trying to figure out what could be going down to bring the characters all together.

When all else fails! Explosions. Explosions everywhere!

No really. Ridiculous crap happens in anime, so I'm not afraid to have some ridiculous crap happen in this rp. It's supposed to be fun, after all, and normality is usually far from fun, so... Let's come up with something weird and random. Maybe someone all of our characters are at a certain place when Evil McBadTeam bursts in and kidnaps them all randomly. Evil McBadTeam is epic and powerful, but perhaps they aren't all bad after all. Maybe they kidnapped our characters because they think we were the bad guys, the extremists, trying to blow up the new capital all like "the good times rok, newniss sux!" And then the REAL bad guys, Xtreme Team, start to believe that our characters are part of McNotSoBadTeam so that we can't return to our former lives. So we start to help out McNotSoBadTeam to save the new capital and all the people in it.

Love it! I couldn't stop laughing after i read it, it would definitely make for a good start off point. Plus then we can all laugh at the fact that its so mixed up, and then not get bored and have a super serious RP.

Exactly, exactly. Thanks, bro.

So now we wait for other yeses or other suggestions.

Oh... Wait... I totally don't have a character out yet. Wow. >.> Soon, I promise.

Sounds good :3 (I shouldn't write first thing after waking up. Writing doog =/= good.)

That's okay you don't have a character yet! I am totally glad I am having time to catch up. (So behind. Gah on life being busy!)

Bahaha I know what you mean, Oyoa, but at the moment it seems llike school is my main enemy.Take your time!

We can definitely keep working out the details of the plot or setting. How about the setting for now? What are y'all's opinions on where it should start? Kyoto, the old capital, is the only suggestion from me right now. Since the McNotSoEvil guys are trying to protect the new Capital, Tokyo, and they think the extemists are living in Kyoto in plain sight.