The Engagement (Inkheart789 & Eyeris)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"He can eat... whatever you see fit." Hibiscus left Cara then, just turned about and walked away. There was to much on her mind for her to be distracted by dogs and women. She had a problem to be solved. She did attend dinner, but was distance and distracted. For the next three days she did not leave her work-room, for she was solving the problem.

And it seemed that she did, so she was at ease for by the time the wedding was rolling around.

It was a full moon, the best time to make promises. With it being 'bad luck to see the bride before the wedding', so left Kapera to attend Cara for the evening.

Cara adjusted surprisingly well. She had her dog and her chickens... and under Remingtons tutelage she was becoming a good cook.

Hibiscus was in her work-room the night before the wedding, her outfit for the following day was hanging by the horn of a demon skull mounted on the wall.

It was, of course, white. Remington insisted that Lady Cara wanted her to dress dashingly, Lady Cara was shy, and would not assert herself directly.

The arrangements were made, the alter was arranged to Hibiscus's liking, and the flowers and isles arranged to Cara'sl liking. Kapera would be the flower girl and Remington the ring bearer and Chester the... best-dog.
In her study Hibiscus had a hard time focusing on her real work, a rarity, What is it that distracts me? She allowed her mind to wander experimentally, she was thinking of Cara of course. Cold feet? As they say... She remembered Cara's first night, full of wine, carefree in her new room... She tapped the nib of her pen on the desk, red ink soaked into the wood...

The candles blew out.

Hibiscus straightened, waiting, but they never re-lit. Which was odd, for any messenger spell should create blue-light like last time.

"Your wondering now why the messenger spell isn't working correctly."

Hibiscus stood in an instant, pressed her back into the bookshelf, her hand found an antler, she brandished it like a weapon. If she had a heart, it would have been beating at a rapid pace, her breath would have been ragged. Instead her face was placid but her obsidian eyes narrowed at the darkness.

"As you have now deducted, that is because this is not a message..."
She jabbed the antler into the darkness, and spoke words of power, but those words were cut off as she felt a hand clutching her throat and squeezed. It pinned her against the shelf then lifted her. She dangled. Her black eyes glowed with dark magic, but all that was useless now... unless against him.

"This is revenge."

Cara had started to enjoy the castle, at least here she was allowed to go outside and was able to work on her cooking. Besides that there wasn't much to do. She didn't dare read any of the books in the house in case they contained some magic.

As the days passed she grew nervous for the wedding. Cara had expected a grand thing and had been trained for this big ceremony, but that was bit what she was getting.

She sighed softly as the maid who didn't speak did her hair. "Do you think it will go well?" Cara asked, trying to decide and just thinking out loud. "I don't know if it will be right... I have never heard of a women marrying another woman. It is always a man and a woman near me." She admitted, clutching her hands. "There isn't anything I can do, my parents did this, they are to blame. I can just make the best of the situation."

When the maid was finished, Cara stood and looked at her dress. "You may leave, I will tie it up myself. Tell Hibiscus I am almost ready and will be down when she sends for me... In some way." Cara didn't know if the maid did actually talk, only not to her, because her messages seemed to get passed to people.

Kapera would bow slightly and leave quickly.

Clouds would be gathering outside, cheerful sunbeams streaming in through the broken windows would fade, making the place seem gray.

Cara... Cara... Cara... CARA! A voice would sound in her head. A familiar voice...

It was none other than the voice of Hibiscus.

'You must flee. Now! Run!'

The shadows seemed darker than they should be at this time of day, they seemed to move.

'Are you near Kapera? No? If you see her, Run faster!'

~Meanwhile~

Remington was carrying a tray of tea. He was on his way to Cara's room, hoping to offer her a tea that would sooth her nerves, perhaps offer some unwarranted marriage advice... He smiling to himself, thinking how amusing mortals were...

He dropped the tea-set. It crashed to the floor, the silver striking the stone, the porcelain shattering. He stood for a moment, stiff as a statue, unmoving...

Cara had tied the past part of her dress when the voice pounded in her head. She let out a small gasp as the loudness of it before frantically looking around. "I don't understand." She whispered.

As she looked around Cara became aware that something was happening. The shadows seemed to shift and she knew that some kind of magic was going on. "Where do I go, I don't know anything besides the castle." She asked softly before gathering her dress and starting to run.

When she saw Remington she had the urge to stop, but she went against her instincts and continued. If Kapera was not safe to be around why would Remington?

Throughout the castle Cara saw the same thing, shadows that shouldn't be there. They were continuing to form and she didn't understand. As she neared the castle entrance something stopped her, made her want to turn around and run deep into the castle. "What should I do?" Cara murmured, wondering which urge she should listen to.

'Just... Just Run... away... to the village perhaps? Horses... the horses in the stables... the white one... avoid the grey...' The connection was difficult to maintain, Hibiscus felt herself being pulled away. She held on with all she had. She had to at least get Cara out of this place...

She felt cold, incredibly cold, colder than she had ever felt before. She dare not think about it, all her focus was needed. 'Go outside and down the left path, under the arch and to the right.' that was the quickest way to the stable.

Cara was never one to make quick decisions, so she allowed the voice to make them for her. She was able to make it through the door and headed down the path.

"What's happening?" She asked, pausing for a moment to look back at the castle. It seemed to be being engulfed by darkness. The sky was turning a deeper grey and Cara shivered, able to feel the magic in the air.

Cara decided she didn't even care about what happened to the others, she had only known them for a few days, maybe she would finally be free. As she made it to the stables, the white horse was trying to get out of it's area while the grey one seemed to be processed. She carefully got on the white one and then unlatched the door. "Go." Cara urged, lightly kicking the horses underbelly.

She hadnt ridden in years, but it was coming back to her. "Which way to the village?" Cara asked allowed as the neared a fork in the road. She didn't remember since she had been in a carriage the last time.

"Ah...." Hibiscus was unsure herself, as she seldom made trips to the village herself. She didn't have enough power right now to reach out and see for herself, If she didn't remain focused on Cara, she could be lost.

"Left." She was fairly sure that this was correct.

"I'll explain... when you are farther away..."
She didn't want to distract Cara either.

She hoped that he would pay her no mind. They had time. For he would have to deal with the castle, which, was no small feat. He would do it, but it would take him time. Remington and Kapera... would they repel him or help him? It made no difference now.

Cara nodded and pushed the horse to go left. "Oh... Chester," she said looking back. The dog had been outside while she got ready and Cara hoped that he had run when he felt the darkness. With a soft sigh she turned back and paid attention to where they were going.

"I.... I don't think this is the right way." Cara said softly as they started going through a dark forest. She didn't remember this at all. As they continued the horse started to slow and Cara kept her eyes out for anything that could harm them. She knew instantly that this forest was not safe.

"I hope we're almost through." She murmured. When she turned her head to the right Cara let out a scream. There was a dead body with it's blood dripping hung from a tree. She heard some rustling and urged the horse to move faster.

"What are you screaming at? What has happened?" Hibiscus asked, alarmed, she could hear Cara's voice, but could not see what she could see. He could not have caught up with her so fast... there must be something else. A vagabond in her path perhaps?

Hibiscus cursed inwardly, the girl did not have any money, or weapons to defender herself with. "Are you alright?" Cara was still alive, she must have evaded whatever-it-was.

"Somebody was hanging from a tree." Cara whispered so nothing else would hear her. "They were dead and blood was dripping out of them."

Once they were past the middle part of the forest the horse started running more quickly and they were able to make it out. There was a town here, but one that was different from the one she had visited. "There's another town... But I don't know what the people are like. It seems different from the one I visited a few days ago." Cara explained so that Hibiscus would know. "What should I do? I can't go back in the forest." Her voice shook slightly, similar to what her body was doing.

Seeing the person hanging there had shocked her and caused her to shake. That could happen to her if she wasn't careful.

"Oh." Hibiscus had to think. If she had a stomach, she would have a sinking feeling in it...

"Just as well. He will expect you to go straight to the other village anyhow. The forest will give him trouble, surely, and this town... well... let us hope they give you none..."

"Walk to the center of town, there is a building there with a black door. That is the inn, you should secure a room... Now, you have to trust me. Knock on the door three times quickly, two slow, then three times softly. These instructions are important now. Inform them that you are securing a room for your master, Hibiscus of the Hollow. Offer... the horse. You must be confident, don't let them ask too many questions, act as though you are above them, from a higher authority."

Sooner or later they would all find out what had happened. Cara would be safe there for as long as they didn't know the truth...

Cara listened to her carefully and slowly got off of the horse. "I will do so... Will you be coming here soon? I do not like being alone in an unknown place." She said softly before walking down the center of town. When she found the black door, Cara knocked just like she said to and took a step back when the door quickly opened.

"Hello... My master Hibiscus of Hollow has asked me to obtain a room for her here. I am sure you will comply." Cara said, sure to keep her head held high and her voice confident. "My master has suggested the horse as payment and I believe that should be enough. He rides nicely and is trained well."

The only issue Cara had with this was she would have no way out now unless she stole the horse. Hopefully Hibiscus would come gather her soon.

"Yes." Hibiscus lied. "Yes..."

She was quite proud of Cara, the way she asserted herself to the door-man.

The door man was a pale beady-eyed man, he smiled at the thought of the horse. He licked his lips. Then he opened the door.

There was a narrow hall, that led to a dark common room. It was a quiet tavern scene, a dying fire in the hearth, a handful of people with their heads down, most didn't speak.

"Don't talk to anyone. Straight to the room."

Down a stairwell and down the hall, into a room.

It was not quite a normal tavern room. There was a large round bed, a dresser, a basin of water. But the floors were cold, there were no windows, no fire pit. And there were... chains strewn about the floor.

"Don't answer the door for anyone." Hibiscus instructed after the door-man left.
"And sit down. I will now explain to you what has happened."

She waited a few moments, assuming that the girl was taking a seat.

"I've been killed, Cara."

Cara did as she said, following the door man. He seemed not quite human and it scared Cara to know that she was around creatures different from herself.

After the man left she locked the door and then found a seat like Hibiscus suggested. At the news she chocked up. "Killed?" Cara whispered. "But then how are you in my head? You've put magic on me haven't you!" She whisper yelled. Her eyes teared up and she tried to control herself. When Cara thought of the ring she tugged at it, trying to get it off her finger. "Why won't it come off? She whispered, trying harder. It just seemed to get tighter as she tugged.

"I don't want to be involved in magic, you said I wouldn't be. I'm leaving. I'm leaving and going to find my own way." Cara decided, standing and walking towards the door.

"Wait." Hibiscus said, she had no idea if Cara would listen to her, and had no other means of stopping her. She felt her grip on the girl begin to slip, she was an unwanted presence in her mind. Hibiscus held on, she had to, in order to save the girl...

"It is not safe out there, in this town, nor anywhere else beyond that... for now." She paused. "I am... sorry... this is not how I intended things to be. I did not imagine that... that this would ever happen."

I need to be more careful and less confident. Thought.

If Cara decided to leave, she would find the halls empty as well as the other rooms. The foyer with the cold hearth would have the same folk within it, and when Cara entered they would turn their faces toward her and stare.

She rested her hand on the door knob, but did not turn it. "What kind of town is this?" Cara asked as she looked around at the room and took in the layout for the first time. The chains on the floor made her question leaving since a person could easily grab her and tie her up or something.

"Hibiscus what do you expect me to do? If you're not here then I do not have any protection. How am I supposed to survive? If something was able to kill you then they will be able to kill me." She whispered, biting her lip. Cara could not protect herself, she did not know how to.

Slowly she took her hand away from the door and moved back to the chair she was in before. "I'll stay, but you must make a plan, or tell me of your plan to keep me safe." Cara negotiated.

"This town is a refuge, of sorts. A place for people... well... non-humans to gather and convene. There are a few high goblins downstairs, I spotted at least one vampire... It's named Sojourners Rest."

"Don't be frightened, they won't make trouble for you unless you ask for it. This place has it's rules, everything has rules, and you are under my protection here."
Or so they think...

Now for a plan...

"You should rest here, I need to think, this place is safer than the village."

I need to remember..

"I'm dead, Cara, but I'm not gone yet." Hibiscus was reassured by that. "He isn't so strong as that." She reassured the girl, and herself.

"We have time. He doesn't know that I'm still here, nor is he able to leave the castle."

Cara looked towards the bed and bit her lip. "I do not feel safe here despite what you say. What happens when they find out you are dead? Will they kill me? You're dead Hibiscus, clearly you will be gone soon, no one can come back from the grave."

She stood again and moved towards the window. "It is grey even here, that means whoever is in the castle is strong. You've tricked me into thinking being with you would be safe. Magic is always about tricking others. I want to be torn from it. If you get me out of here and keep me alive you must promise I will never be invloved with your demon magic again."

Her voice was dripping with hate, with anger. All her life her parents had punished her for not practicing magic. Just when she thought she was getting away from it all she was thrown back in.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
"But they can, dear Cara... you see... that's the problem." Hibiscus would be quiet for awhile. She earned the girls ire certainly, and she was faced with quite a problem.

She could let go of Cara, let herself fade away. IF he was only after me then he'd leave her alone if she should get far enough away...

However
, he had summoned that demon before him, Cara's demon, the card dealer whom had once won Cara's soul from her father. He had come into Hibiscuses home and warned her about him, and, also expressed an interest in reclaiming Cara once again. That demon knows how to hold a grudge, He will come after her even if I am gone...

And maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't only be satisfied by my death
. Cara, unfortunately, was the only person that had some connection to Hibiscus.

I could fade away, but I would leave Cara alone, and they would come after her. I am, even without a body, the only one who can protect her. I need to be strong if I am to save her, and to become strong I need... Cara.

"In the morning, for he will be weaker in daylight, we will leave this place. If we continue east I have a hide-out of sorts... We can find something useful there."

She made her way to the bed and sat down on the edge of it. At least that was slightly comfortable.. The warmest part of the room. "Here I was thinking our wedding was my only problem, obviously I was tricked once again." Cara said, curling up as she laid down, to keep her body warm.

Her dress was wrinkled now, and the fanciness of it seemed unnecessary. There would be no wedding and no joining anytime soon. "Who killed you?" Cara asked, wanting to know what she was up against. She didn't know much about demons and their buisness, but she had learned some of their rules from what she overheard from her father.

Cara's arms wrapped around her legs and she used the extra fabric of the dress as a sort of blanket. She knew she would not get much sleep that night, for there was no warmth and she did not feel safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.