5. Advanced
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Supernatural, Horror
After 100 years of war, the Fire Nation has finally been defeated by the once vanished but now returned Avatar, the last remaining member of the Air Nomads. Peace is restored once more to the world, but after so many years of war, it is bound to take some time.

Especially when there are those who still wish for the Fire Nation to remain the strongest and most powerful of all.

******​
9kuLP9s.png

Afternoon was slowly making its way into evening as a young woman in a brown tunic and red hood entered the Golden Dragon tea-shop. As high and mighty as it sounded, it was nothing more that a small shop that had seen better days. That being said, it did offer good quality Jasmine tea as well as sweets that made her mouth water just by ordering them. It wasn't the service that brought this establishment down, rather those who frequented it.

Even as Chani sat at a table, her dark wine coloured eyes took in the sight of the shadier men and women in various huddles at their tables, and then the small group of fellow probably gambling, from the sounds of coins clinking on the tabletop. When she had first joined the army, she had found gambling her money in silly games had its own appeal, even if she found the habit rather foolish.

As it was rather warm inside the shop, Chani gingerly pulled her hood down to uncover her hair. It wasn't much of an improvement, but at least her head wasn't feeling as cooped up anymore. She averted her eyes from the other tables, not wishing for anyone's sights to get on her. She had been hoping to leave for the Earth Kingdom in the next few weeks but it seemed fate had decided she had to remain in the Fire Nation for a little while longer. Her father had grown ill and she couldn't find it in her heart to cross the ocean and be so far away from them. They were already so old- her father liked to describe it as "... one foot already in the grave" much to her distaste.

At last her tea arrived, distracting her from morbid thoughts. She smiled as she looked up at the shopkeeper. "Thank you, it smells lovely."

"The best Jasmine tea in the Fire Nation!" the old man boasted, standing akimbo and puffing out his chest as much as his frail body allowed.

"I'm sure you're right," Chani agreed, amusement dancing in her eyes. That being said, she took a sip of the hot beverage, a smile on her lips as the flavour was indeed more than palatable. "This is lovely! Beautiful aroma... very calming."

The smile on the old man's face seemed to stretch further than it should, probably pleased that someone had an inkling of manners in his shop. "The sweet buns should be coming soon as well, my wife likes to take her time sometimes..." He grumbled under his breath.

"I can wait," Chani assured him. "Don't worry!"

"Old man, over here!" barked a man from the other table.

"Ahhh..." Sighing, he bowed in Chani's direction before tottering off, leaving the younger woman to sip some more of her tea.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nemopedia
Alexbrush;
Tenorsans;

Jianru Wang
O

First step: get mobilised. Second step: find his comrades.

The Fire nation had fallen, or at least, the nation that they all had known, that Jianru knew. The nation everyone feared and that was about to take over the world, of which he had been part of for so long.

Jianru was having a slight identity crisis. The new Fire nation that the former prince Zuko and the avatar had proclaimed was still the Fire nation in all views and sights. It just got a different face, and a different lead, but the male knew that this was bad. What was bad was his loyalty, however.

Torn up between the old and new Jianru had painstakingly started to carry out his secret orders. He couldn't let Fire lord Ozai decay in prison. The man had been a stronghold for the nation, a symbol of the strength, passion, and ambition. He had been what the Fire nation strives to be for the past century and now it was all taken away. Just like that, by a banished son that didn't understand the discipline of etiquette and the avatar that had hid for as long as the war raged.

It was true that only the winners would be remembered as heroes. History's point of view shifted towards the avatar and his comrades, not to them who fought for an ambition. They were painted as greedy, selfish, bloodthirsty...

Jianru didn't want to think about it.

Stepping into a teashop the male was quick to scan out his surroundings. Suspicious types in the left, more immoral undisciplined in the left. It would have to do for now, the man decided. It had been a long day and he needed to replenish his energy before he could continue. It was a long journey ahead.

"A single," he smiled at the waiter and was quickly led to a table where another figure was already seated.

"We ran out of space, I hope you don't mind having to share a seat with this lovely lady?" the owner apologised and Jianru rose a hand, another kind smile gracing his lips.

He was clad in the regular fashion of a citizen, as he had been giving the orders to be as inconspicuous as possible. The only thing that would probably give away his identity was the insistence of keeping his sword, as that was the only way he knew how to fight, proper. However, even that he had concealed and wrapped in linnen, so it might as well have been a long wood.

"If I may be so rude," he smiled at the female, glancing over to his company. It was clear that she had been trained in the bending arts, her air and the way she held herself made that clear. It was the air of discipline and training that none of them could hide, not even Jianru and his reluctance.

That wasn't what caught his attention, however. It were her familiar features that Jianru had stolen glances off as soon as the news reached his ears. Blinking, finding it ironic how he found a deserter when he was looking for comrades, the male smiled again.

There was no need to cause a ruse for now. He had a plan.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Greenie
9kuLP9s.png
Chani looked up from her tea cup, eyeing the man who had joined her at her table. "Not at all," she replied with a smile of her own. Being polite was no force habit of hers; Chani was more used to smiling than frowning, despite being a former military person. She sat up straight so that it didn't seem as if she was taking more room than she needed to.

"There's no being rude here," she added as she set her teacup on the table, noting the way the man had looked at her before his smile returned. "I quite enjoy company. Travelling alone can be rather dreary..." She shrugged her shoulders, hands lifted in a 'what can you do' manner. "Yet finding suitable company to talk with while enjoying tea is a hard affair as well it would seem."

She quieted, reaching for her cup to take yet another sip. Eyes still smiling, the cogs in her mind were spinning. There was always the chance somebody would recognize her. She had left the army before the end and as such had been marked as a traitor by the Fire Nation, wanted posters with her face plastered on walls for all to see. The now King Zuko had deemed her desertion forgiven, but there were still posters that had to be taken off... and of course, those who didn't care for the new regime and were not happy with the way the war had ended.

Now I wonder where this one's loyalties lie? Hm...

Sip of tea taken, she decided it was time to introduce herself. "I'm called Chani. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Last edited:
  • Love
Alexbrush;
Tenorsans;

Jianru Wang
O

Her mannerisms were all quite unlike the regular fire citizen. She held herself in kindness, spoke gently, and seemed quite humbled in demeanour. It all confused the male, as he had expected different from a celebrated army member and deflector. Something more rigid, colder even.

’Coward,’ Jianru mentally called her. How could she turn her back at such a convenient moment. Avoiding to brandish herself as a war criminal, while she did fight and participate, even from the highest levels! However, when the fire nation truly needed her she deflected, turning her back to receive a pardon instead.

Only the losers were the bad and the evil. Fire lord Ozai was imprisoned, his friends and comrades were slowly all taken and judged. It would only be a matter of time before it was Jianru’s turn. Given a trial as if he had done everyone a disservice for being loyal. He did, in the eyes of the winners, but in turn he believed that the Avatar brought nothing good by ending the war.

However, he wouldn’t let that happen to him. Getting caught, that was. He wouldn’t be heard or seen until the time came for him to be heard or seen. And then...

“Chani,” he repeated after her. Confirming that she was indeed the deflector. How strange. How odd. He really had expected someone more vile.

“Maru is the name” Jianru lied easily, it would be inconvenient for his job if he couldn’t.

“I wholly agree with your assessment,” the male smiled as he sat down, his sword next to him on the seat and close by. Hidden from view, but always there.

“What is a lone traveller doing on these roads, and a female nonetheless,” the male gestured around the place after he placed his order. The tea shop wasn’t a place for any lone traveller, no matter their gender. It was a path least travelled, however and that in itself held enough conveniences for these on the run or in hiding.

• Love
9kuLP9s.png
"Honoured to meet you, Maru." Chani nodded her head politely, blissfully unaware of the thoughts roaming in his mind, though even if she had heard them aloud, she would quite understand why someone would think that way of her. Unfortunately or fortunately, however, her temperament and the things she had seen and learned were too much for her to ignore.

"I'm afraid I don't have too many acquaintances," she continued, looking in the direction he gestured before returning her gaze to him. "Though I quite like travelling alone or with a companion or two at most. Companionable silence is as lovely as amicable talks, and simply taking in the wonders of nature is a delight on its own. Unfortunately, however, the two who may have journeyed with me are home." She let out a breath, her eyes losing their cheerfulness to be replaced with something akin to grief.

"My parents are quite elderly... well, I say parents as they're the ones who took care of me since I was a baby." She smiled a little, watching the steam rise from her still hot tea. Even in such a place she could see them as clear as day- the stereotypical small, plump elderly woman she called Mother, and Father, the tall and thin man with a wispy grey beard, complete with his red cap covering his bald head.

"Who my actual parents are, no one knows, but I shall always hold them in that status. As you can imagine, old age brings all sorts of troubles. My father grows sicker everyday and my mother is too weak to look after him alone... so here I am. There is medicine to be bought here tomorrow, thereafter I shall return home. If I'm lucky enough, the medicine will help him enough that I could go through with my own plans...

"But enough about me." Despite the talk about her parents causing her to become a little more emotional that she would have liked, Chani knew well enough when it was time to stop dishing out facts. She chuckled softly before once more looking to man, gaze both calm yet direct. "My apologies, I went on and on there. What of you, Maru? Is this somewhere you tend to come often?"

Last edited:
  • Love
Alexbrush;
Tenorsans;

Jianru Wang
O

One, Chani was the caretaker of her parents;

Two, she was waiting for a medicine, most likely illegally gained seeing the location she found herself in;

Three, Chani wasn’t planning on staying, so he had to act fast if he wanted to catch her.

Jianru made a few quick mental notes in the back of his mind, storing up the information for later use. The female spoke easily and freely, but the chances that she was feeding him lies were considerable. He had to be careful and not underestimate her, especially as a former soldier of high ranking. It ought to have been for a reason other than ferocious firebending talent.

At this moment Jianru was at a split. He had his mission to think of, but here in front of him a traitor could he found. One that would get him a nice reward, but also one so potentially dangerous if he wasn't careful. Especially since both of them had been in the army and it could only be a matter of time before she recognised him like he did with her. That, if she had cared for lower ranks at all, and she seemed the type.

After a pause and a shift of his eyes the male picked up his cup, sipping it to calm his nerves. There was no need to run away with possibilities now, one step at a time. Perhaps he was lucky and all of his thoughts and deductions weren't needed.

“My parents are simple farmers,” he started, citing the fabricated history that was given to him. A complete name and background, to make easy lies, recited as if he believed them to be the truth themselves.

“They live comfortably in the unaffected lands, and I’m their adventurous son seeking for some thrill,” Jianru turned his cup around, watching the liquid move in patterns and the leaves float before speaking up again. "This is but the start of my journey, a long journey of discovery, I hope," easily he weaved in a truth to the many lies he told, another kind smile spreading over his face and a friendly gesture to share the sweets he had ordered. "Food always taste better shared," was his reasoning.

"I was hoping to head for the Earth Kingdom, or at least one of the many villages at the border." On purpose he kept his destination vague, eyes flashing over to the female as he watched for a reaction. His tea predicted his fortune to be considerable, something he hoped was meant in the positive sense.

9kuLP9s.png
"Thank you," Chani replied, happy to partake in the sweets. When her own rolls arrived, she would be sure to share them as well. "I can wholly agree with that sentiment." She took a bite as she continued listening to the man's plans. His story wasn't one that was uncommon, to be sure. There were indeed many who were forced to join the army, but for those who lived in more peaceful areas untouched, it was a sense of adventure that lured them to the field painted red with fire and blood.

"My parents used to be farmers before I was born," she started once he was finished, smiling a little as she looked his way. "But by the time I was living with them, they had moved from their fields and stayed home... Father those have a side business making baskets, but that's on hold." It was mostly her pension that kept things afloat, and her desertion had caused a little strife moneywise.

"The Earth Kingdom is my destination as well," she added, wondering what sort of business may be taking him that way. Chani knew better than to ask though, and so simply continued. "There are many there still suffering despite our soldiers having returned home." She took a sip of her tea before glancing Maru's way. "Food tastes better when shared, and I think travelling is much more enjoyable with a companion. If you aren't averse to waiting a day or two, perhaps we could travel to the border together?" Even as she finished, she realized how that might sound to a stranger. Chuckling, she shrugged slightly before adding, "I know it is probably a rather odd and sudden thing to ask, so feel free to say no."

In truth, she was curious as to why he was headed that way. Having no real reason to fear for her life, why not go on a little side adventure and tag along?

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Alexbrush;
Tenorsans;

Jianru Wang
O

Things went smoothly, much too smooth. The mention of the Earth Kingdom had prompted Chani to invite Jianru on joining her in her travels, a possibility the boy hadn’t taken into account yet.

What was she planning?

Trying to gauge out what was on the former soldier’s mind seemed to be an impossibility, but her invitation seemed to be genuine. A golden opportunity that he couldn’t let go now.

Taken aback Jianru composed himself again, sipping his tea to prolong his silence and collect himself. There was no way he would be able to fight her. Not only was she a stronger and more capable soldier, she was also a bender. One that wasn’t as uncontrollable as he was and supposedly legendary in her cause. Joining forces (to put it in those terms) seemed to be his only option.

Then her words dawned upon him. The mention of soldiers and the supposed victims they left. Was she intending on helping them? Dark eyes scanned over the tan woman again, trying to figure out an ulterior motive, something, anything that could signify a lie or a dark intent. What was she?

“You’re right, food and traveling are much better enjoyed with more” he smiled, setting his tea down. He had been silent for much too long already and he didn’t want his chances to be spilled before he could even grab hold of them.

“I can wait for two days, we can meet here in this tea house again,” Jianru mused. While his face and smile were friendly and gentle the gears of his mind were whirring. Two days was plenty of time to send out a message to the rest of the forces. To notify of his change of plans and how he had encountered Chani on his way. Everyone would have to regroup a little, instead of meeting near Ba Sing Se they would have to plan their route and strategy surrounding Jianru. A deserter amongst them. What this could all possibly mean.

“Is it your hope to help remedy the scars of war, or to find your parents,” Jianru followed up, still trying to gain insight of what her motives were for the roadtrip to the Earth Kingdom. There was something, the soldier was convinced and the more he tried to read Chani the more confused he got about what this motive could be.

• Nice Execution!
9kuLP9s.png
Chani wouldn't have been surprised if Maru rejected her offer as a travel companion. Things were still settling down, and she was still thought by those loyal to the Fire Lord as being a traitor. Even if he was one of those who sympathized and understood why she may have sided with the Avatar, it was still asking a lot of a person to accompany her.

"That's wonderful!" she exclaimed, giving the man a sincere smile when she heard his decision. "For a moment there I thought you were going to refuse, which while a little disheartening would have been completely understandable. I'm happy to hear we shall have the chance to become friends."

She looked away from him to the waiter who had finally returned with her rolls. "My apologies," he muttered, sounding rather harried. "I would have served you before but-"

"It's quite alright," Chani replied, setting down coins for the payment. "I heard those men at the table threatening you. Don't worry." Perhaps she would teach those scoundrels before she left. For now she simply gave the waiter a polite nod before returning her focus on Maru, recalling his previous question.

"Finding my birth parents has always been a wish, but a pipe dream as well. If it happens, so be it, but it is not something I can pursue when the world is suffering from more immediate troubles. I'd rather see the people of this world in a happier state first."

With that said, she took a final sip of her tea, finishing the beverage as she stood up. Setting the cup on the table, she pulled a handkerchief from her pocket and wrapped to of the rolls in them before placing the now tied piece of cloth away once more. "You eat the rest," she told Maru. "A way to seal our travelling pact. We shall meet here again in two days."

Pulling her hood up to cover her head once more, Chani gave the man one final smile before turning around and heading for the door, though she did pause at one of the tables. The soft smile she had given Maru seemed to disappear as her lips shifted to a hard line, eyes narrowing as she raised a hand, fire dancing at her fingertips.

"I quite like this teashop, men, so if you wish to continue your patronage here, I'd advise a little humility. Otherwise, you should know this fire is very hot." The flames on her fingers seem to grow taller and brighter before they vanished. As for the rough scoundrels, for the moment they seemed rather subdued.

"Farewell then." With a final bow in Maru and the owner's direction, Chani left the teashop.

Last edited:
  • Love
Alexbrush;
Tenorsans;

Jianru Wang
O

Friends, the word sounded almost sarcastic from Chani and Jianru presumed that it was sarcastically meant. There were no friends, only allies and Chani had proven herself not to be an ally.

When the waiter came over and apologised the male grimaced. How distasteful it was to see his fellow countrymen reduced to this. Without pride in name or origin. Both the waiter and the ‘scoundrels’ not too far away, glancing over menacingly at the waiter and the two of them. He could read the greed in their eyes. Gripping his sword wrapped in silk tighter the man turned his eyes back to his company.

“Two days is all I need, two days it is, Chani” he grimaced, smile all pleasant once more. He parked his ill thoughts and played along with the promise of friendship. Chani didn’t play by the rules of their regular army men, which could only serve as a distraction. But Jianru would not be the trained man he was if he couldn’t recognise such.

It was her next move that confirmed it all for Jianru. As Chani walked away she made a pass at the pests earlier. And while her back blocked his view the way the faces lit up familiarly was enough for him to know. Some would think vigilance, but Jianru read a declaration of the war being far from over. Chani was unafraid to suppress and threaten, making her no better or worse than the rest of her colleagues.

Twitching at the thought of fire Jianru was quick to scratch his back, pretending that it was an itch that made him so. She was a dangerous opponent. However, he trusted himself to be smarter.

Two days he had to plan, short days as he strangely found himself to be excited. He had mapped out a route, planned his stories and polished his identity. Maru he would be from now on, dressed in rags and covering his blade. Firebending he would not know, a country pumpkin he was.

Once more he stepped into the Golden Dragon, wondering who would be first. Eyes searching down the tables the first he noticed were the splintered woods.

“What happened?” he questioned the host who hastened over. Though the shop wasn’t much Jianru did not recall it to be in this state.

The waiter sighed, rubbing a spot on his back that seemed sore. “Nothing unusual for this part of the world,” and back was the customer service smile, as if to tell him not to worry and not to question further.

“It were those men,” Jianru was determined to continue his prodding. “Or was it a…” he didn’t dare to finish his sentence. To implicate his companion would be wrong, morally so, but his mind told him that people were unlike what they presented themselves to be.

Another wrung smile came from the host, displeased to having to continue the conversation. “Men aren’t what they all seem to be, much less you,” with that the host sat him down at a table and clippedly asked him for an order. The conversation was over with Jianru staring at the host for a long while. Did he know?

• Nice Execution!
9kuLP9s.png
Two days had passed fairly quickly for Chani. When she had returned back to her parents with the medicine for her father, the two elders had already been expecting she'd leave right away. Her plans had been laid out quite clearly before them even before her visit to Harbor City. They were sad to see her go, but seeing they were already used to long periods of time without her when she was in the army, it wasn't something new.

Chani couldn't keep herself from shedding a few tears before she left, however. Her parents were old and they needed help; though her neighbours and their friends were always there, she knew it was something different altogether when your family took care of you. Yet the guilt that continued to burden her conscience remained day after day, and she couldn't simply ignore it. While her parents were living peaceful, other elder folk had lost their peace due to a foolish man's dreams.

"You must do as your heart advises you, Chani." Her father's words rung clearly in her head every time she had doubts about her mission. "If there's one thing you can trust, it's you're heart."

She could only hope he was right. Those in the Earth Kingdom would look at her with suspicious eyes, and those from the Fire Nation would probably still see her as the one who betrayed their 100 year cause.

Don't be so haughty, she scolded herself. You were one small peon. There were greater people than you who turned towards the right cause first. Like Lord Iroh and Jeong Jeong. He was he first Deserter.

Any sign of doubt that may have shown on Chani's face was gone when she finally reached the city. She was no longer dressed in her usual fiery colours, choosing to wear a tan tunic and brown trousers, her long hair tied in a simple braid. She wanted to make friends, not just with Maru but with the people she was going to help. They would probably feel more comfortable if she looked less threatening.

"Good day," she called as she entered the Golden Dragon. She paused almost immediately after entering, however, eyes quickly taking note of the shop's state. Seems you've had to deal with some trouble... A small frown lingered on her face, wondering if this was caused due to her actions when she was last here.

Stifling a sigh, she looked towards the table and spotted Maru. The frown was replaced by an easy smile instead. "It seems I've kept you waiting," she said as she walked over. "My apologies."

Last edited:
  • Love
Alexbrush;
Tenorsans;

Jianru Wang
O

“I’ve… just arrived,” distracted Jianru didn’t turn or smile his usual smile at his companion too cooped up by his thoughts of what happened to the shop. Were it the men of a few days past? Was it something else? What about the host?

His mind was whirring as he thought of all this, his eyes turning over the scene as if trying to play back time and see how it happened and what the course of time had been like. Pushing himself up the male blinked, as if only then realising that Chani had been talking to him, a tired smile crossing his features. All this pondering made it seem that time passed so fast, or slow.

“We should leave,” he sighed, as if exhausted and regretting the journey already. Part of the male did feel regret, as past of him wished to play the vigilante and seek some justice for the owner. However, after being rejected so firmly the soldier decided not to pursue the matter further. Pushing himself up the male picked up his wrapped sword before letting his hands slip between the folds of his clothes to retrieve his money bag. Fishing out a few coins he placed them on the table, another smile headed into Chani’s direction, but he was sure to make sure no eye contact was made. He currently couldn’t trust himself not to slip through some resentment.

Glancing one last time to the owner Jianru watched the elderly sweep the floor, back turned towards the duo. No effort was made to make them feel welcome, nor an offer for tea was made. Unfortunate, but Jianru knew when he had overstayed his welcome, turning towards the exit of the shop, starting the first phase of his mission.

"I know a short cut to Ba Sing Se, I suggest that we take that road so that we may arrive early," Jianru proposed while pulling out a small map in hands. "It goes through the swamps, but we should pass some small villages on our way that would be grateful with some aid," he continued to explain as his finger traced a path between their location and their destination. "What do you think?"

Norbu Ngawang
O

With the war only so shortly over the streets of Ba Sing Se were still in ruins. The tanks that had been stacked by the Order of the White Lotus still stood tall in the streets, gloating as a badge of how they had managed to drive out the fire nation. Kids were playing, running around as they breathed in the air of a new world as adults spoke hopefully of the future.

For Norbu this was just a small dent in her plans. She had hoped to be able to track down the avatar and join his team for the end of the war. However, it seemed that the end had been much nearer than she had anticipated as she had only reached Ba Sing Se with the news that the Order of the White Lotus had conquered the city, ironically with the old general Iroh at its lead.

Alas, it was of no matter as she strolled through the city, helping out where she saw fit and offering assistance as needed. If she wouldn’t gain the fame of ending the war she could still gain the recognition of a beloved figure.

Slightly regretting her fancy clothes, knowing herself to look very pretty but feeling very impractical the female was just passing out some tea to the many volunteers that were rebuilding the city, an easy smile on her face as she took their gratefulness and compliments in humble grace.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
9kuLP9s.png
Chani let out a sigh before digging into her coin pouch and adding to the ones Maru had placed on the table. It was an unfortunate turn of affairs, seeing what had happened to his shop, but more than that the guilt was because she knew it was her fault. If she hadn't made a show and threatened them, they wouldn't have ruined this old man's shop.

She bowed her head to the sweeping man, both in farewell and apology, thereafter forcing herself to head out after Maru. She wanted to help the old man restore his shop, but whether it was to truly help him or to quell her feelings of guilt had her unsure. Alas, even if she was fully satisfied with her intentions, she didn't think the shopkeeper wanted to see any more of her.

Another sigh escaped Chani's lips as she exited the shop. The journey had had an unexpected and unwanted beginning; she only hoped it would be more pleasant from here onward.

Looking to the map, her eyes followed the path Maru traced, nodding her approval. It would be nice to do something even before they reached Ba Sing Se.

"Sounds good to me," she told him, smiling slightly. Hopefully a trek through the swamp wouldn't be too difficult. She knew there were some waterbenders there, but now that the war was over, there was no need for either of them to fight.

"Let's be one our way then." Chani made sure her belongs were secured on her person before starting off.
H7RmmJ7.png
The day had only begun, but having worked late into the night and waking up early to continue with said work, Hinata couldn't help but yawn aloud for the fifth, this time not even bothering to cover her mouth. Well, it wasn't as if anyone was nearby to complain anyway. She was used to waking up before the sun rose, like most farmers, but then again she was also used to going to sleep earlier than most. It was a schedule that had gone to dust when she decided to stay in Ba Sing Se, and it was still taking some getting used to.

Thankfully, her earth bending helped quite a bit with restoration of the city. For example, there was no real need for ladders for her as she worked on repairing a double story house's roof; a simple stomp to the ground sent an earth pillar with her up into the air and onto the roof.

She worked diligently, another trait she had picked up from her childhood, so it wasn't long before the roof was fixed. The owners of the house were very thankful, offering her food along with her thanks, but she refused. Goodness knew how much they had lost already; Hinata was just happy they had a fixed roof so that they wouldn't be cold when night came.

For the time being she was free, utilizing this time to wander the streets and see if there was anything else substantial that needed immediate fixing. Her stomach growled when her nose caught the scent of tea.

"I should probably get something to eat or drink," she told herself under her breath. There was no point in getting sloppy while helping others just because she didn't eat. Allowing herself to follow her nose, she nearly bumped into another young lady with rather lovely clothes, clothes Hinata would probably never don herself. Unconsciously she eyed her own clothes, a loose tunic and paid of trousers that had dust and dirt clinging to them.

"Sorry," she muttered. From the looks of this woman, she was no lowly farmer or villager like Hinata. "Didn't mean to almost run into you."

• Love
Alexbrush;
Tenorsans;

Jianru Wang
O

Frowning for the umpteenth time that day Jianru scratched his head, turning the map this way and that around as he continued to follow the path he had prepared.

Odd, how very odd. They should have passed the first checkpoint already, or so he believed. Past the first village in which they had rested a falcon should have been waiting for him where Jianru could update his comrades on his journey. It was what he had decoded from their last message, just before he set off on the secret mission.

However, they could have been caught and then all there was for the soldier was to continue. If only he knew where the next checkpoint was supposed to be.

Hills upon hills they had left behind for the cool and damp swamps. A place where fire would be useless, but also the more harmful for everyone caught between the vegetation.

“Almost there!” Jianru concealed his worries and confusion underneath another smile. Hacking away the vines in the way.

“How are you doing? Be careful fo---”

Just as he was about to warn his company the male himself tripped over a stray root and face planted into the mud of the swamps, the smell of dredge and sand forcing itself into all of the holes in his face.

Norbu Ngawang
O

Blessed with good balance, as was to be expected from earth benders, Norbu wasn’t one to lose her footing by a mere bump. It was by the same grace that the female managed to catch the tea she was holding without spilling, while only needing minimum movement to stand upright once more.

“Don’t mind it-- tea?” she was quick to offer the other. A young female stood in front of Norbu, another volunteer amongst the grubs, she judged, though in another group than Norbu had ordered herself into seeing the dust on her clothes.

“The city is coming along nicely, isn’t it?” she continued, a sigh escaping her as she watched the people. It had been a while since the earth kingdom had felt so merry. It would take a long while to rebuild everything back to its former glory, but already Norbu could see a pride settle back into the crowd that had not been there days before.

• Haha
9kuLP9s.png
One had no need to be a monk in an airbender's temple to discern that Maru was perhaps feeling a little stressed. Even if he smiled when he looked her way, Chani had spotted those little frowns that creased the younger man's brown. What was he thinking and what had him worried? She knew he was a soldier, he had the bearing of one. Having to travel through lands like these, whilst unpleasant, was something of the norm.

Not for the first time, she wondered if Maru was perhaps hiding a few secrets she wasn't privy too. Not that it would surprise her; she had her own secrets that she held on to dearly. Still, it made her somewhat wary as well, though it would be hard to tell unless a person was very good at reading others.

"I'm doing quite well," she called back reassuringly, sending a smile Maru's way... except he didn't receive it since he was receiving a face full of mud instead."Oh dear!"

She hurried over, quickly pulling a handkerchief from her satchel as she crouched down next to him. "Maru, are you alright?" Tentatively she reached a hand out to help him up.
H7RmmJ7.png
"Tea would be lovely," Hinata replied, looking at the young woman with a smile. It was hard to tell if they were the same age, especially with her always looking younger than she actually was. "Thank you." She took hold of the cup before sitting down on a nearby bench, taking a small sip. It was especially refreshing after all that hard work.

"It truly is," she added, agreeing with the woman's observation about the city. "When I came it was in crumbles, but looking at it now, some parts look as if the Fire Nation attack hadn't even occurred."

Taking another sip of tea, she looked away from the construction taking place near them and glanced at the woman. "Are you from this city, or have you come from far?" She blinked before looking sheepish. "Apologies, I should have introduced myself first. Hinata Surehn, from Shamsmura. I've been helping with construction."

From the looks of the woman before her, Hinata didn't see her dirtying herself with hauling timber and stones about, especially not in those fancy clothes. Someone of wealth moving among commoners and serving them tea wasn't something you saw every day.

• Love
Alexbrush;
Tenorsans;

Jianru Wang
O

The swamp was no place for firebenders. Too damp and constricted, with the plants surrounding them and hidden roots. The eerie feeling that something alive was following them also kept chasing Jianru, who felt being watched. Though by what he couldn’t tell.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” he gritted his teeth, spitting out the mud from his mouth before wiping his face with his sleeve. It didn’t help and begrudgingly he accepted the handkerchief Chani had offered.

Embarrassed the male tried to make at least his face mudfree, as he wondered why he had such bad luck. It wasn’t his first time in the swamps and to blunder like that in front of a former-soldier…

Though, he did tell her that he was a simple farm boy, so it worked out in the end. Sort of.

Crawling up the male ignored the hand offered to him, sighing deeply at his dirtied clothes. At least he had the elegance not to drop his bag or his steel into the swamp.

"I don't think the swamp likes me," he joked turning his head around to look for some solid ground. What he would give to find a dry patch.

"Let's find a place to set camp, I can use a dry," he suggested, cringing at the feeling of mud brushing down his legs and sloshing in his boots. He really didn't enjoy the swamps.

Norbu Ngawang
O

The woman, Hinata, was smaller than Norbu was with long hair cascading down and framing her face, making her appear younger than she actually was. Norbu couldn’t guess her age, but she guessed them to be peers, peers of a different sort and with different intentions. Where the monk was grace Hinata seemed rougher, the whole image screaming ‘earthbender’, whereas Norbu liked to keep herself wispy and light, though she could never hide the strong balance so characteristic for earth benders.

“Norbu Ngawang, I’m from the monastery of Song island, located east in the earth kingdom,” the female introduced herself as she poured in the hot liquid. “I have been meaning to help, but found myself stuck pouring tea,” she continued with a gentle smile. Part of it was true. She had come to the city to help, but as all the grandiose acts had been performed and only the cleaning up had been left there was little meaning in her stay. However, knowing that leaving without at least helping out would go against her training and be frowned upon she had decided to take on a light job so not to dirty herself.

Besides, rebellions were sure to be around. And with Ba Sing Se so recently fallen and now re-conquered its state affairs were in disarray. Norbu knew she just had to bide her time and wait for anarchy to rise, after people settled down, after peace had become every day.

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
9kuLP9s.png
Chani let her hand fall away as she stepped back. She could tell the man was embarrassed, and who wouldn't be after having such a fall in front of another person? At least he was joking about it, which caused her to soften even more towards the poor man. "Oh, I don't think the swamp likes any of use," she replied. "I've been lucky so far, but who knows when that will come to an end?"

He was right, it would be best to stop here and rest. But where exactly? The swamp seemed to continue for quite a while. Shielding her eyes with her hand, Chani peered out in the distance. "We may as well try and head out in that direction," she finally stated. "There are quite a lot more trees there than here, which leads me to believe there must be sturdy ground." She looked to Maru and gave him a grin. "And if the ground there is still as wet and troublesome as here, we can always climb up the trees. It may actually be safer that way..." One never knew what lurked in the murky waters...

She waited for him to steady himself before starting in the direction she figured would be best, trying her best from keeping out of the water and staying on relatively drier bits of the marsh. "Fortunately for us, these wetlands shouldn't last too long." She cast a glance at Maru before continuing forward. The sooner they reached a dry place large enough to camp, she was going to make some tea. Hopefully that would help his mood brighten.

H7RmmJ7.png
"Well, every little bit counts," Hinata replied with a small smile of her own. "I for one appreciate it very much," she replied to the girl named Norbu. "I was scolding myself earlier for not having had any breakfast in the morning, so this tea was a bit of a life saver for me." She let out a happy sigh as she stretched out her legs and took another sip.

"I had thought there might have been some leftover rebels to take care of," she continued. "But it seems for the time being, peace remains. It's nice... these people deserve some reprieve. The whole Earth Kingdom has been scorched for so long, along with the Water Tribes..." Her voice trailed to a stop as she thought of the Northern Water tribe. She didn't know much about them aside from the fact that there weren't too many left, and water benders there were rather rare."

She finished off her tea before looking to Norbu, curiosity lighting up her eyes. "Are you an earth bender as well?" she asked.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Alexbrush;
Tenorsans;

Jianru Wang
O

As much as Jianru hoped to be out of the swamps as well the soldier had his doubts. Without a checkpoint in sight the male had no idea how and where to move, finding himself more and more anxious as he wondered where exactly he was heading to now.

“I need to dry my possessions as well,” the male mumbled, pouting at the mud drenched items he carried and wore. Something told Jianru that he had nothing dry anymore. Digging through his bag the male pulled out a wet piece of parchment, ruined by the ink webbing out as he let go of another sigh.

“Seems like we are without a map as well,” he grumbled at himself, wondering since when he had turned into such a failure of a soldier. Throwing the paper into the mud Jianru was about to stalk forward when he felt something grab around his ankles.

“Chani?!” his voice pitched as he was pulled deeper into the swamps.

Norbu Ngawang
O

“I’m, which is why it is such a shame that I’m stuck with the tea,” Norbu responded to the female, setting herself next to Hinata. “There are some volunteers handing out snacks to accompany the tea, I can give you my share?” Norbu offered to the fellow earthbender.

Food was scarce in war and it was understandable why some had rushed themselves out to help before breakfast. However, in a wave of response to the victory of the Avatar the people celebrated with what little they had, even if it was simply dough fried in some oil.

“The rebels are probably laying low for now,” Norbu nipped her tea, her gaze anticipating as she watched the crowd. “A century of war can’t be undone at once,” the female continued before accepting a fried dough snack from a volunteer. Holding it in front of Hinata the female gave her an encouraging look.

“We probably need to be more alert than ever,” she mused, remembering how Ba Sing Se was without a king as of the present and the betrayal from its inner court. It was a rumour at first, but now the world knew it to be the truth. A century of war couldn’t undo that.