The Elder Scrolls: Resurgence of the Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder where Dervs is on that Skype group. Additionally, he and I do have Steam.

Get on my level #skyrim4daNORDS

In all honesty, I think Bretons and Altmer are my favorite races...
200_s.gif

Steam is possible, but group set up is awful.

If everyone has Skype or is willing to get it, I am making a game group. I was going to hold on until after the characters are accepted.

I agree with you a 100%, Histskin is the best racial power ever. Gotta love the 300% healing rate increase.
Lol, even on a starting character it's OP. I took on 5-6 bandits with a fresh character in face to face combat and barely came out with a scratch.

But I really value their poison immunity and resistance to disease the most. Poison is the most irritating debuff of all time.

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM STOP BREATHING DOWN MY NECK WHAT ARE YOU MY MOM GO TO OBLIVION
*Summons a Frost Atronach and a Shambles*
Do you want to rephrase that or do you want to die. It's your choice.

Lol, even on a starting character it's OP. I took on 5-6 bandits with a fresh character in face to face combat and barely came out with a scratch.
Argonians are the true master race man, how did they ever get enslaved when they have this awesome racial power.

I just remembered a question I have for the GMs. In he Cs you say that having a High Proficency means having Expert level spells, yet in the FAQ you say that it can't go higher than Journeymen/Adept. Why the change?

Mainly because Expert level skills would equate lore-wise, e.g. not gameplay-wise, into the spells mentioned in the lorebooks. Characters can be really good at what they do, but when one character can pretty much take on a small army, that's just not something we're into. Magic is a powerful thing in TES and the game doesn't necessarily convey how fuck-off-crazy-damaging it is in reference to real-life physical trauma. You can hit someone with a fireball or incinerate spell in-game and all that happens is "Oooooh oooow my health bar is shrinking stoooop," but in real life, you hit that guy with the same spell for ten seconds, his flesh goes black and flaky, hair is gone, fat sizzles, eyeballs melt, lungs shrivel up... you get the idea.

tl;dr because magic even at the levels below Journeymen/Adept is fuckin' scary, dude.

Mainly because Expert level skills would equate lore-wise, e.g. not gameplay-wise, into the spells mentioned in the lorebooks. Characters can be really good at what they do, but when one character can pretty much take on a small army, that's just not something we're into. Magic is a powerful thing in TES and the game doesn't necessarily convey how fuck-off-crazy-damaging it is in reference to real-life physical trauma. You can hit someone with a fireball or incinerate spell in-game and all that happens is "Oooooh oooow my health bar is shrinking stoooop," but in real life, you hit that guy with the same spell for ten seconds, his flesh goes black and flaky, hair is gone, fat sizzles, eyeballs melt, lungs shrivel up... you get the idea.

tl;dr because magic even at the levels below Journeymen/Adept is fuckin' scary, dude.
I get it, so that means no summoning of Storm Atronach without a Staff, or using Dread Zombie reanimation(by the way how will the necromancy work in the RP setting), or any other Conjuration stuff, right? Just wanted to know your reasoning. I think that my guy is fine with his current set up at the moment. Any idea for misc. stuff. He doesn't need food or cure disease, so maybe empty soul gems? Scrolls?

Also if anyone asks him why he doesn't seem to need to eat anyhting, he'll say ome bullshit like " As a mage I have transcended the need to eat. These potions give me all the nutrients I need." I think that would fly, especially since I'm the only real mage if the Tolfdir guy doesn't show up/change his CS. What do any of you know of magic.

I get it, so that means no summoning of Storm Atronach without a Staff, or using Dread Zombie reanimation(by the way how will the necromancy work in the RP setting), or any other Conjuration stuff, right? Just wanted to know your reasoning. I think that my guy is fine with his current set up at the moment. Any idea for misc. stuff. He doesn't need food or cure disease, so maybe empty soul gems? Scrolls?

Also if anyone asks him why he doesn't seem to need to eat anyhting, he'll say ome bullshit like " As a mage I have transcended the need to eat. These potions give me all the nutrients I need." I think that would fly, especially since I'm the only real mage if the Tolfdir guy doesn't show up/change his CS. What do any of you know of magic.
I think that your guy is fine with his current set-up. Some things might come up with that lie about the potions, of course, but that's the fun of roleplaying, right? Another reason is that I'd expect expert level skills from people who'd been studying for years upon years and that's all they've been doing. You know the type, Psijics and some of the people at the College of Winterhold. Obviously, our characters being wanderers and vagabonds, we can't afford the luxury of studying under masters and locking ourselves away in caves or towers to read over countless scrolls and tomes usually kept in the Isle of Artaeum or the College. A lot of the mer characters are pretty young given the lifespans of mer in TES too.

Necromancy (and other forms of summoning) is based on establishing a link between the summoner's mind and the summoned's. It's hardly the stuff of legend like the Psijic's abilities or the Dwemer's Calling, but the more turbulent or powerful the creature, the harder it is to maintain a telepathic link and to exert your will over it. You could very well force a person's soul back into their body from the Dreamsleeve but maintaining the type of link it would take to get a Dread Zombie isn't something you're going to do without years of practice.

I just remembered a question I have for the GMs. In he Cs you say that having a High Proficency means having Expert level spells, yet in the FAQ you say that it can't go higher than Journeymen/Adept. Why the change?
It didn't change. It was Moderately Proficient that was being addressed.

The quote,

4. What is a reasonable number of spells for someone moderately proficient in a form of magic?

I don't really have a set limit on the number of spells, I trust players to use their own digression for that. However, all of the spells have to be journeyman and under skills.

Given how ubiquitous mages are in the Elder Scrolls universe, it's almost impossible not to know a mage unless you were incredibly sheltered and lived in Hermitville, population you, for your entire life. If somebody tried pulling the "haha, I don't need to eat! I can cast magic missile! Potions are the only supplements I need in my diet, brooo." I'd be immediately skeptical because I'm pretty sure chugging potions all day would be detrimental to your health, and the ingredients wouldn't provide adequate nutrition for anything to survive.

Magic itself is such a prevalent part of life in the ES universe that it's hardly considered remarkable, and since magica is treated in the same light as vitality and stamina, and any character of any race can learn magic, I'm assuming it means anyone, with practice and the right teachings and circumstances, could become mages, or at least figure out very minor spells, but not without much difficulty. Some people and races are naturally more attuned to being able to tap into magic than others, particularly the altmer, dunmer, and Breton, and the Breton are suspected of having some elven ancestry. But over the course of the series, we see mages of all the 9 races and if it was a purely racial thing, then it would be impossible. Even some of the in game books back this up; in Mixed Unit Tactics, an Imperial legionnaire recounts how the khajiit used all the different breeds of their race to fight against Bosmer invaders, and one of the more notable breeds was the Alfiq, who look like house cats and are incapable of speech, but said Imperial claims they were incredibly potent spell casters.

Long and short of it, chances are if you can cast a few spells, nobody's going to bat an eye. Even the Skyrim guards are notoriously snarky towards mages in the game.

This is seriously something I wished I could've changed. My laptop won't handle games like Skyrim, so I've only played on my buddy's X360. What I really dislike about console gaming is the lack of mod abilities. The first thing I do when I get a game is seek out hardcore mods to make things as realistic as we can go. Fallout NV is better amped up to the point that a bullet is a truly deadly and not eating will put you in the ground. Same goes for Skyrim. I thought Skyrim was properly levelled and realistic until the first time I was ice-spiked. Out of nowhere I am hit to find this missile protruding through my gut. Somehow, despite this horrific sight and the blood splattering the snow, it proved only a minor convenience during my retreat.

Honestly, that's what makes RPs like this so much more appealing. A game is great, immersive, and instantaneous, but it's never quite right. The written word gives us that freedom to really push it. That mage launching spikes is a tank among men and mer and you'll think twice before rounding the corner.

Reactions: O|NoSoul
I have a question and a realization. Question, can Revral double summon creatures, Revelation, Frost Atronach, Shambles, and Storm Atronach will be a lot harder to kill in an RP setting. Conjuration is actually pretty terrifying power to wield when you think about, and imagine the effect it would have on a person mentally to fight someone who could summon demons from another plane, and simultaneously roast your best friend with a single thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.