The Elder Scrolls: Resurgence of the Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean Blade is officially the oldest party member? Seems odd with Dunmer tagging along as well.

Remember to include an ample bribe...for no particular reason.
Eh, my soul wasn't worth all that much anyway.
Does this mean Blade is officially the oldest party member? Seems odd with Dunmer tagging along as well.
Not only a bunch of Dunmer, a vampire as well. Guess Blade is just an old coot. He's already got the "You damn kids, get off my lawn!" thing down, what with being a hermit and all.

Reactions: Voltair
Well, Toellner, I gotta say you don't leave much for me to comment on. 'tis good! Adding Asshole Imperial to dah list.

Onwards to working on my portion of the IC!

Not only a bunch of Dunmer, a vampire as well. Guess Blade is just an old coot. He's already got the "You damn kids, get off my lawn!" thing down, what with being a hermit and all.
Dervs charges the price of a soul in every RP he runs. How do you think I got this name?

Honestly, Juin had his back-story changed a few times before being submitted. I was actually thinking of going much older, white beard and all, but that had to change with each iteration. Besides, once I realized vampirism fit so well in his story, I knew having Juin be too old would fall into the trap of "I'm ageless, so, I pretty much know all things". Age is great, but I think it's almost overpowered paired with vampirism.

@Dervish
The flood of grey skins continues! Dun dun duuuuun.

I actually really enjoy how your character's been around Windhelm for as long as the Great War and has seen so much change and history come and go. His family's illicit activities are definitely relatable, especially when the axe starts coming down and they're forced to make ends meet, and seeing the local Nord's resentment grow before his eyes is definitely cool.

I actually really like this backstory! His transformation to vampirism and his loyalty to the Empire's pretty interesting, and he definitely will have conflicting interests, and I'm curious how he's going to maintain his condition without others knowing about it. Keep in mind that playing as a vampire will bring about some challenges and peril that other characters will not have; discovering Juin's true nature may very well result in player characters or NPCs trying to kill him. I've RP'd with you before and I trust your skills as a player, so I'm pleased to say that you are the first ever vampire character I've accepted into one of my games! Rejoice!

I'll be honest, you had me sweating. I knew vampirism could be a breaker, I'm glad it passed!

Juin really is the sum product of his background here. Even though the disease was risky, I knew it'd also add this layer of complexity where you're not just getting an old soldier, refugee, or drug dealer, but this guy who was all that, then forced to completely re-evaluate life. He's definitely going to be fun to play out with something so much bigger than him like the Snow Elves going on.

Now, how he's going to feed and how others will engage with him... Luckily I enjoy a good ol' :worms:.

Drevin is 85, so you've only got 17 years on him. Not much, all things considered... But I also find it odd how many mer we have and how few of them are over their mid twenties

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't Mer in ES age at only a slightly slower pace than men?

Not to say they can't get very old, but you see comparatively few that break several centuries and those that do seem to be quite legendary.

Again, I am by no means an expert on ES lore, but it seems the trope of elves or Mer being far slower to mature seems to not really be present in this setting.

I'm trying to swing some free time this evening to fixing/updating my CS, but I may have some other things that will threaten to steal my time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't Mer in ES age at only a slightly slower pace than men?

Not to say they can't get very old, but you see comparatively few that break several centuries and those that do seem to be quite legendary.

Again, I am by no means an expert on ES lore, but it seems the trope of elves or Mer being far slower to mature seems to not really be present in this setting.

I'm trying to swing some free time this evening to fixing/updating my CS, but I may have some other things that will threaten to steal my time.
Indeed, they aren't like asari in Mass Effect. Even reading The Real Barenziah, Barenziah was sexually active at 17, although it's suggested dunmer aren't fertile until they're 18-19ish. Other elves might be similar, but altmer are by far the most long-lived of any of the elves, although it can be argued snow elves share a similar lifespan since they're just as closely related to the aldmer as their altmer cousins.

I was going by the CS. I know the oldest Dunmer was a mage (?) Who lived to 4000 years old, right?

I think so, but that's obviously an exception rather than a rule. I think I read somewhere dunmer usually averaged around 250 for a lifespan.

That number sounds familiar to me too, but I can't remember where from.

Name: Jyttril (Jay)
Born Oydiswen (Oyd, Odo, Odd)

Race: Altmer

Family Origins: Part of the second generation into a subtly rifting family, Odo was the third born in Valenwood among a heavy concentration of altmer. Oydiswen lived in a couple parts of the province for ten years, with visits to Alinor, before the family transferred to Elsweyr. From there, Oydiswen's home moved within every few years within the Aldmeri Dominion. Often the family would move within the province they were in. Oyd has since visited Skyrim, Morrowind, and the Black Marsh on his own.

Appearance: Only fifty years and with a rounder face than most altmer, Oydiswen's youth shows. Combined with mannerisms, one might not guess the past thirty years happened. The mer has a large, big-toothed grin, a straight and tall nose, and unnaturally dark hair. The skin is roughened and a deeper, yellow tan, and Oydis wears a collection of small scratches and scars from the poorer decisions in life.

Odd is tall, even by the altmer's standards, with long limbs. The elf is muscled for his people, but weaker than his equivalents in the tougher races.

Equipment: A newly made elven dagger and steel sword, provided to him at the festival. Very well crafted, but modest so as to not catch notice. The leather armor at the torso is covered up by light, bright red cloth bought in Elsweyr. A draught of health, potion of cure poison, and a small vial of poison. A small pack of dried meat from deer, a whetstone, small bag w/ string, and a worn, thick coat for the northern weather.

Miscellanea: A dull bosmer knife, made of bone, an artifact of the past given by a friend. It's kept in a separate sheath with an old and meaningless symbol. Od also carries a cheesy wooden souvenir of love and peace from the festival, with an abstract image of an elf and a man, a basic smoking pipe, and a small roll of tough cloth for bandages.

Favored Skills:
Highly Proficient: Illusion
Moderately: Light Armor, One-Handed, Destruction
Somewhat: Smithing, Alteration (more novice)

Spells:
Illusion:

Courage
Frenzy
Invisibility
Pacify

Destruction:
Ignite
Lightning Rune
Flame Cloak

Alteration:
Candlelight

Character Background:
Odd was the third and last child of his family, the youngest to two brothers. His mother's side were a rowdy bunch of ambitious upstarts: the grandparents jumped on the Thalmors' rise, perpetuating their propaganda as the elven saviors and various values. It brought the family up in the ranks with the change in political tides. His father's side, however, is "old money." An old, respected family of cultured professors, priests, and artists, that resent the new government and grit their teeth at the more radical members. They've had some safety from the antique status, in a culture that loves the status-quo and respects the old, but small disagreements and questionable acts have put them under the eyes of the government. The elders pressured Odd's father to marry the mother as a way of showing loyalty and faith in the government. The mother's family highly approved of the marriage, as it grabbed them a more official status as high-class.

His mother was a Thalmor politician and agent, a manager of plans for development in parts of Tamriel. His father was a man of art, dragged into his wife's politics, writing hidden documentation about the events he saw. In Valenwood, Oydiswen's childhood was surrounded by a small community of elven elitists and supremacists in a nation full of their lesser's, but always with a subversive undercurrent that rejected the modern values.

Oyd lived in a loving, attentive, but competitive and perfectionist family. He was given many academic lessons from acclaimed private teachers, to culture him, teach altmer history and magic, and later some classic forms of self-defense. Most teachers found the child intolerable, a few related to and worked with him, and the latter were the only ones effective. Despite a high raw intelligence and a racial affinity for magic, Odd did not nor has the patience to listen to monotone facts, speeches, and dates. He did best when learning by hand, by action. The mer enjoyed practice with swords, and enjoyed or hated magic based on how interesting its use and how dry the study material beforehand.

Both parents expected much from their children, and the mother's side of the family had the most open influence over them, due to the other keeping its head down. His two older brothers protected him, and encouraged and pushed him to do dangerous stunts, pick fights, and used him as the scape goat. Taking influence from their parents, they were proper, "like nobility," and criticized Oyd when he didn't match the same manners and behavior. Both brothers were stealthier about failures and missteps than Oydiswen, more reserved and calm, more polite, and that singled Odd out – quick to question, open to bosmer, unable to keep still, stubborn - as the "bad kid" and black sheep.

Excepting his eldest brother, they always tried to fix his quirks and flaws. Odd lived in a conflicting childhood, despising the expectations and rules, and latching onto his eldest brother and father's father, who were more accepting and laid-back. His grandfather was a kind, wise man, and sparked his interest in magic and fueled his interest in people outside Alinor.
Odd didn't appreciate his pick of high-elf friends. Neighboring bosmer were more wary or disinterested, but also fascinating, different in attitude and expectations, and Odd won some friends over with his friendly enthusiasm and his attempts to adopt their culture. This is how Oydiswen has lived since, almost always favoring company of the 'lesser' people. The altmer has been with another altmer once, and since told it as if it were a crude bestiality joke.

Political tensions and differences within both family sides began to bubble in the parents' generation, and began to fray nerves in his own branch as he reached twenty-one. The middle son bought into the new Thalmor values and opinions, deeply loyal and hopeful for what he saw as a rebirth of aldmeri glory, and did everything he could to promote the family or help the government. The eldest, despite being a proud achiever, had long grown out of it, and more and more distanced himself and fought with relatives. The last night he was sighted was his goodbye to Oyd, after attempting to persuade his brother to tag along and defect. The middle son still rants about their treasonous brother, and how he'd shove the exile to the Thalmor if he ever saw his face.

In fact, two branches of the family had been disowned and disgraced, either in disgust of their haughtiness and disrespect, or out of fear that it would drag the whole of them down. A few cousins and one aunt had defected. Oydiswen himself had grown distant, involving himself in matters outside his family's lives and politics. His grandfather was still in Valenwood, a place they rarely visited, his eldest brother gone, and the family had grown prone to tension. Odd was loyal to most his family and thought the altmer were the best to lead the whole of society, despite their fussy nonsense, but was put off by the radicals' level of xenophobia and strictness. They were completely sheltered, spoiled, dumb fucks.

Oyd never defected, rather, at twenty-five, he left under an unofficial agreement. He served on and off as a Thalmor agent, doing tasks as he was requested, and generously compensated for it, while traveling at his heart's content, making friends, connections, working various jobs. It was not a reliable income, but a nice boost when it came. It was a chance to be useful to the family without dealing with its stress, and it removed suspicion that he was a runaway about to leak info, like his brother. For the very oddity that Oydiswen integrates so well into foreign culture, he gathers more, has more solid sources to rely on for help, and is more flexible than most his peers.

And so, Odd bit his tongue when officials came and threw out his questions. Three kill orders came along, but never for people he knew, and anything else was harmless enough. Oydiswen came to enjoy the festivities of the celebration in Windhelm, and there a new face contacted him. Teralfar was another official with another task. No deal needed to be brokered; Oyd instinctively agreed and prepared. With an exposing family line, the high elf whipped up a believable name and made a simple, friendlier story for himself: A child in a defected family, taught by relatives and locals throughout his life. It made the reality easy enough to twist and still remember, and cut Odd from the A.D.

Fighting Style:
Smart, with an affinity for magic, but only selectively patient, Odd had good lessons to start out, but his studying tapered off as an adult. His skill in illusion is a near accident - as a kid he loved it for pranks, as an adult he loves it for pranks and a handy escape from trouble. He had to put more active effort into destruction, but valued it enough to learn and maintain the knowledge. Alteration is an on and off hobby he started three years ago, but only recently has taken seriously. Oyd has the potential to grow but not the motivation to actively pursue it, and is behind his peers back home.

Similarly, the altmer learned solid precision, discipline and form from lessons in swordfighting, effective with one-handed weapons, but can falter from it. Particularly in that Odd will throw too much of his energy at the start of a fight, trying to take down enemies in fast, hard-hitting and nasty blows. It is difficult for Oyd to endure longer physical trials, at which point he is more prone to fatal mistakes.

Oyd has to compensate against faster and stronger opponents by adapting to their own tactics. A block against an orc will end poorly at best, and the elf will never have a quicker reflex than the better thieves. His height and the reach of his arm and sword is an advantage that he exploits, as it gives him better range in close-combat. Oyd typically uses magic to ease a bad fight or as a last-line to save himself, it is an important part but not the core of his combat.

Personality: Energetic and zealous. Oydiswen spends excessive time, patience, and concentration on matters that catch his interest, and flits between everything otherwise "unimportant." The man squirms and becomes irritable if stuck doing nothing for too long. His hands fidget with pipes, drinks, anything to pass the time. If that fails, he plays mind and magic games, sometimes to pull pranks or tricks.
Born the smart trouble-child, Oyd is stubborn and contrary under force or criticism – but if one captures the mer's mind with an idea, they own a strong influence on him.
Oydiswen is more genial with worlds outside Alinor than his own race, disrespectful of and embarrassed by national traditions and standards. He picks up attitudes, sayings, and fads from outside culture, and prides himself on his differences from his people. The company he keeps is diverse and often suspect to peers from home. However, deep familial and cultural ties to the modern Aldmeri Dominion make the base of Odd's world outlook. Oydiswen accepts and relies on the altmeri pantheon above all else, has a distaste for Talos worship, etc. Ignoring an egalitarian view on the value of life, the altmer watches like a colonial conqueror on their primitive natives. Charmed by their exotic and unsophisticated ways.

He has a soft spot for parts of Valenwood and the bosmer. Most of his childhood friends stem from there.

Font Colour: #6CB530

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you ever write something, and then you look at it afterwards and you're like "WTF did I just write, that was weird," and then you think about not posting it, but then you realize you spent like three fucking hours writing it for some reason and you'd feel stupid if you had nothing to show for it, so you just post it anyway?

Yeah that's kind of how I feel right now.

And there's our other Thalmor!

Alright, few quick things that I picked up on right away;

First, this line: From there, Oydiswen's home moved within every few years. Briefly to the coast of Hammerfell, to Bravil, Cyrodill, back to Hammerfell, to High Rock, to Skyrim. Often the family would move within the province they were in. Oyd has since traveled to the other provinces.

This, most definitely would not be a thing. Hammerfell in particular would be especially intolerant to Thalmor incursions and they have no diplomatic ties with the Dominion, and having been able to successfully defeat the Dominion invasion, they don't abide the White-Gold Concordat. Likewise in the Empire, while there's embassies in each of the provinces, there's only a handful of people at each one, and it's mostly Justicars who are ensuring the conditions of the White-Gold Concordat are adhered to. Different places in the Dominion, totally fine! But if he ended up in the Empire, there had better be a good reason why he was stationed at the Embassy, and it wouldn't be because his mother was there.

The other thing was,

He came to the festival rightfully celebrating the White-Gold Concordat, amused himself, and was called up by some Thalmor friends who suggested it would be good and kind of him to join the volunteer group. Oydiswen had half a mind to go to start, never even aware that one could still see the snow elves alive and in person, and got some snazzy equipment to do it.

There's a specific Thalmor contact who's organizing the various agents. Get a hold of me and we can talk about how they know each other, but I do need to stress that the Thalmor presence is limited to the delegation and whatever agents they have poking around the city. When Oydiswen is with the volunteer group, his true allegiance is going to be a secret. He may have to use a cover identity if he has any sort of political reputation, otherwise his cover's going to get blown harder than a CEO at a hooker and cocaine filled birthday party.

Other than that, looks pretty good first go over! :D I'll have to go over it a bit finer in a little while.

@Mosis - That's my experience of writing a bio. :P
But I'm gonna guess this one's in your head. Pretty much all you write is gold.

@Derv - Cool. Those are easy fixes, I'll get on 'em. :] Apologies for the lore/skill errors. I like Elder Scrolls, but I don't have the obsessive knowledge like Mass Effect.
Oyd's never actively in politics, but his family's probably significant enough that he could be in trouble by extension. I'll think up a basic cover name/story and attach it.

(I don't have to fix the name?)

@Mosis - That's my experience of writing a bio. :P
But I'm gonna guess this one's in your head. Pretty much all you write is gold.

@Derv - Cool. Those are easy fixes, I'll get on 'em. :] Apologies for the lore/skill errors. I like Elder Scrolls, but I don't have the obsessive knowledge like Mass Effect.
Oyd's never actively in politics, but his family's probably significant enough that he could be in trouble by extension. I'll think up a basic cover name/story and attach it.

(I don't have to fix the name?)
Just remember that the dwemer aren't quarians and you should be okay. ;D

And nope! Name's fine, although I thiiink (something)wen is usually a female sort of name, but I might be off or just exhausted.

Just remember that the dwemer aren't quarians and you should be okay. ;D

And nope! Name's fine, although I thiiink (something)wen is usually a female sort of name, but I might be off or just exhausted.
Haha, Tick's character has a girrrrrrrrrl's name!

Status
Not open for further replies.