The Elder Scrolls: Resurgence of the Frost - IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Land, titles, pah. Worthless sentiments when all you have to offer is something that absolutely no one wants. He best have something to line my pockets with, or I'll happily watch this shithole sink into the ocean like it was supposed to. Zaveed thought, arms crossed and eying the Jarl warily. Even despite his reservations on the matter, he tried to imagine what it was like having nightmares like he'd had the night before every night for weeks. No wonder why the village had lost its godsdamned mind. He'd play along, regardless, if for no other reason than to get a good night's rest and to keep suspicion at bay from his fellow sellswords. He still had a job to do, and namely, he had to figure out what in Oblivion was lurking in Jay's satchel.

After the Jarl had dismissed himself, leaving the group to chatter amongst themselves, Zaveed noted most of the eager members seemed to elect for the furthest cave, and probably the one where untold horrors awaited. Paints, the eyesore, made a remark that caught Zaveed's attention.

"Perhaps one of the Khajiit could join us as well, make use of that fur over the longer journey. Though, I suppose it matters little in the grand scheme of things. If you all feel like following fate, perhaps we could draw straws, yes?" The argonian said, limbering up.

"Ah, such a relief! I had no idea my fur was keeping me nice and crispy in this damn tundra." Zaveed chimed in, voice dripping with sarcasm. "Our coats are designed to shed heat, not insulate. Have you forgotten khajiit come from a land of desert and jungle? Not exactly a climate you want to have trapped against your body." He said, looking around. "You're all welcome to go to the furthest cave, I'm taking the closer one because I am already sick of horses and I want to be back to the Inn before all the booze vanishes in the bellies of the Legionnaires. I'm sure it hasn't escaped your noticed, but they drink a lot, probably to forget their awful uniforms. So, who's with me? There's no shame in taking the easy job, after all, this isn't what we're supposed to be doing in the first place." The khajiit shrugged.

(Sorry for this post. It isn't the best, but I'm tired of pushing this off and I just so happen to be sick now :/)

Viryn needed to know why Legionnaires would enlist the aid of volunteers. It had be important, and Quaestor Maricus would have his answers. The town was indeed small, and it did not take long for Maricus to be found. They had a long chat over a fire and some wine back at the Legion's camp that was set outside. Overall, Viryn was offered to come along with the group, saying how he would be of great aid in their endeavors to come. He decided to think about it, some sleep would do him some good and that he would have to think about his family back in Skingrad. His wife would be furious with him, he had retired and his life was only devoted to her now in love and marriage, but this was important and Cyrodiil depended on this...Snow Elf, getting back to safety.

He had made his mind before even touching the sleeping mat.

When day broke, Viryn's eyes cracked open, his old training was still there. He was so use to waking up before the horn, always wanting to get a head start on the day. Taking the advantage of the time while the Mercenaries and Legion slept, he brought out his journal. Next was the quill and ink.

I have decided to aid Quaestor Maricus and his band of volunteers on this quest. The date of when this quest may end, is currently unknown, we are currently held up at Winterhold. A dark power looms over this place, and I haven't the slightest idea what it may be. I dreamt of Skingrad again, wanting to return to the warmth and comfort of the city, how I miss the shop and family.

It is freezing cold as always, I have said my respects to those that died in this horrible hole. It was a bloody battle, one that I regret. We were ambushed that day, heading to Windhelm. That day I lost many good men, and I cannot forgive myself for not seeing it.

I need to stop rambling in this journal about my failure.

Viryn closed the journal, placing everything back where it belonged before standing. Everyone was waking now, the Jarl requesting to see the Mercenaries. Viryn followed along, only to listen and because he was technically a Mercenary now, no longer part of the Legion. He followed along, entering the Jarls Keep with the others, but staying towards the back near the doors, but he paid attention. Aid. It was obvious what the Jarl was after, he wanted his problem gone and had no one else to turn to. Viryn would be more than happy to help out those that are in need, but he was only one man. The room was quiet for a moment as the Jarl left, and he could hear the talking between the groups of the Mercenaries. Perhaps he will take the cave the farthest away, it seemed to be the one that most had problems with. The discontent with this quest in the room was so tense that Viryn could feel it in his skin. Winterhold was broken down, on the verge of just falling into the ocean, and the Jarl could only promise so little.

Pushing off the wooden beam, he glanced at the group once more. He would go with them, to the farthest cave, but first he needed to find out the ones that would go with him. The fact of the matter was no one knew him but the Argonian and Dunmer, and they seemed to be over in their own little group.​

Ja'Kiefer just stared in silence as the man got up, brushed himself up, and completely ignored the fact of his existence. He simply gave a blank stare as he walked off, popping off a few thoughts into his head, attempting the decipher the mass confusion earlier today; What's his problem? Should this one find out? What's with the town? This one's roamed here for around a month now, and the problems that happened just come now? Farming really doesn't keep you in touch with the gossip perhaps? What to do now...continue farming, or find more gossip?

He continued following the other Khajiit as the thoughts rushed in and out of his head, contemplating both the knowledge of the towns problems, and his own problems of a nightmare, which happened very little to him. Eventually the thoughts just became to the point to where it started to hurt. He shook his head, and ran to catch up with the other guy before he disappeared into the falling snow.

The destination brought him into the Jarl's longhouse, to which the moment he entered, it seemed the the one he was following disappeared into the crowd instead of the snow, which surprised him most, seeing that there is a crowd in Winterhold. He attempted to exit, but was interrupted short by what Jarl Kraldar had to say, the job that would send him back home, the job that would prove his worth. It was right here, served to him on a silver platter.

And to think had he not followed the ignorant Khajiit, or had the Jarl not spoke then, he would be farming here, cursed to be here forever, and possibly die here alone and forgotten.

He placed his hand on his chin, and gave the events of today a re-thought; First, this one awoke to the terrible nightmares that haunt everybody, and meets a seemingly intelligent man he states the nightmares haunt everybody, and not just myself, and riots are adrift in Winterhold College, which probably explains why this one hasn't been accepted, which is a glimpse of hope in the least. Finally came the events of the depressing inn, and the vomiting, ignorant Khajiit whom I've followed to this point. Now, the job that turns my life around falls into my laps, and my life shall forever be complete. Now, this one doesn't know as much as everyone else here, but this is an order of events worth accepting, and taking for that matter!

He ignored the remarks, planning, and offers of their own, and instead, sat down at a table, wrote a letter on the parchment to the Jarl, read 'For the Jarl's eyes only', and briskly and quietly handed the letter over to him and whispered "Do not read it until I've come back, there's no use reading my wants when the task remains unfinished, or if I died!"

He stuffed a few more papers in his pocket, and turned to notice Vomiting Ignorant Khajiit was here as well, planning and accepting the task as well. Ja 'Kiefer lingered to hear his decision, before finally agreeing with him, although his speech was that of an annoyed child rather than the more adult tone of Vomiting Ignorant Khajiit; "This one agrees, and wishes to go with you to the shorter distance. It gets done faster, and saves us the fatigue, plus, easier for me is always better. I'm not saying I'm expecting low-risk, I'm expecting a quicker time to succeed, and a quicker time to leave this place with gold in my pockets."

Last edited:
Sevari sniffled and looked about the group. Out of all of them, Sevari agreed with Zaveed the most. He was always favorable of taking the path of least resistance on his way to his payment. It always ended up the safest, and therefore his favorite. There was a certain line between genius and coward and he liked to tread across it carefully. Of course, the days where he'd let his partners die so his cut would be that much bigger were gone. It was a fixed rate this time around and he found he was growing to the eyesore of a lizard and the quiet Dunmer. He may as well offer his eyes in the darkness to those who chose to go to the farthest cave, he'd rather do his part to make sure they still had a good number of bodies than not. The newcomer and Zaveed could fuck off to the closest cave then. "The closest cave for the twig-armed dandies and sparkly magicians, then." Sevari smirked. He looked to the newcomer and gave him a narrow-eyed once-over after he seemed all too eager to go tramping around in the snow with their lot. He hadn't earned his keep, he hadn't told them his name, not a drop of blood lost with him and the rest, Sevari wasn't even aware of his existence before now and he found this entrance not to his liking. At least the mage talked his talk, but then again it wasn't like he found many people he liked anyways, "What will we tell your mother, little one? He loved this shit of a town so much he just had to die for it? Come with us if you want, Ja'Khajiit, just don't be surprised when Zaveed over there trips you while you're running away from the town's bogeymen."

He nodded to Paints and Juin, "It looks like I will be your eyes in the dark. We don't want to use torches. I'd prefer to remain in the dark and let whoever has been taking the children wake up to see us before we split them open like fat purses." He looked to Viryn, looking all hard and commanding, "What say you, then? Which cave do you go to? Watch the mage throw sparkles at some bandits or pay someone a visit and do some honest dark work?" Sevari held out his map again and pointed to what he thought could be a small crag or an ink smudge closer to the closest cave to town but still somewhere that could be called midway between the two caves, "This is where we meet up after we're all done." He rolled up his map and looked about the group, he figured this was the closest he'd ever been to leading a band of his own and frowned, "Unless there is dissent amongst the ranks then we have our plan, yes? First ones to be done with their killing and back at the meeting point get their drinks paid for by whoever shows up after."

Reactions: Poeta Perdido
Winterhold wasn't the largest of towns, but to bask in its quiet sparseness as opposed to Daggerfall's winding streets and endless faces was a welcome relief. Gelina passed through the gates under darkness of very early morning, her breath frosting up and twirling in the sea breeze. The College stood like a watchful giant on its pedestal of rock further up the road, and as the Breton meandered hesitantly through the town, the few guards on the streets regarded her with a discerning eye. She hunched her shoulders forward, wringing her hands before they occupied themselves with opening the inn door.

The Frozen Hearth was as small as the town it served and only marginally warmer, its tables empty for how early it was. Her eyes rolled over the entire room--main door behind her, likely the only exit, a few inn rooms on one wall, no windows save for smaller ones ringing the ceiling. She gauged how well she might fit through and how quickly she could scale the pillars near them as she approached the innkeeper. He hovered behind the counter, seemingly in another plane, before his eyes tugged to attention and lost a portion of their gloss. "Ah, welcome. Can I help you?"

Gelina dipped her head forward a little, scraping about her childhood memories of seeing her father rent an inn room--she didn't want to say something wrong and risk offense, and eventually opened her mouth. "Um…a room, please. Just for a few nights--I pay by the night, yes?" She raised her eyes to meet his before they quickly locked onto the wood of the counter, her hands gripping the belt across her chest.

If the innkeeper was curious about her, he hid it well. "That'll be ten Septims a night, though I wouldn't suggest sleeping." Gelina passed the coins to him, brow creased in concern. "Winterhold's going through quite the rough patch. She's seeing more strife now than she did during the Civil War, if you can believe it."

Disappointment settled in her stomach, a gradual twisting that made her just a little lighter on her toes. She expected some danger on the roads, traveling alone as she did, but to hear of it in Winterhold put a crack in her hopes for a peaceful few weeks. Nonexistent presences in the room behind her made prickles bloom along her skin, and she bowed her head and glanced over her shoulder before giving him a little smile. "Well, at least you still have mead." A pause, before he chuckled tiredly and shook his head.

"The whole damn town would fall into Oblivion then, huh? You've got the room nearest those barrels there."

--

Gelina did not sleep. But perhaps "sleep" is overly broad; she slept, but rarely of her own volition. When she did find herself unconscious, it was in a most literal sense of the word, complete with a slow collapse and fast-fading sense of reality. She took a swig of her stamina flask, checked the lock to her door repeatedly, and peeled away her boots, but before she could read A Tale of Lilies for the tenth time the words barked and snapped at her fingers.

Her father opened the door to the room in which she lay. His face was a blur, he existed so long ago; every word out of his mouth a mockery of his true voice. She couldn't place it, couldn't reach him through the haze of horror after horror. Something lurked behind him, its legs itching to run, eyes burning, fangs cutting through the darkness…

The book lay discarded across her stomach, a page crinkled flat within from how she'd closed it. Drying drool streaked along her face and onto the bed, where wetness pressed to her cheek rather uncomfortably. She sat up, wiping her mouth and rubbing at her aching eyes. The room was the same, nothing moved or destroyed, and it struck her with an alien feeling, like she was inhabiting another body. Little hints of morning daylight peeked through the walls, trying to fool her into thinking it'd be warm and sunny outside.

She ventured beyond the inn regardless--she'd arrived in town to see the College, after all--and found herself exploring the buildings leading up the road. Winterhold had a few homes, though none so grand and stony as those found in Daggerfall, a general goods store, and the Jarl's longhouse. Out towards the sea sat the apparent ruins of the rest of the city, a location she found herself drawn to.

Her hand pressed to splintered wood and came away grazed with salt. She stood by a crumbling hearth, a few scant feet from the edge of the cliff that had stolen away so much of the city, and looked out upon the sea and sky, how they collided in yellow, orange and gray. Boots crunched in the snow behind her, and she whipped about to face the intrusion, taking a step toward the cliff's edge.

A guard stood there, raising a hand to stop her. "Hold! I only wanted to talk to you. Are you one of those sellswords?"

She relaxed, slinking over to the hearth again. Unsure how to answer him, she replied, "I just traveled in recently, um…"

"Well, it doesn't matter. If you know how to handle those blades, the Jarl has requested all willing and able fighters to go to the longhouse right now."

Gelina's eyes widened. The Jarl! Certainly, his hold was small, but he held connections that would take her months to manage. She gave the guard a kindly smile, beginning to walk past him back to the main road. "I would be happy to serve the Jarl, should it please him. Thank you for letting me know." When she actually made it to the longhouse, however, she realized her position. She couldn't exactly waltz in, could she? And where were the others who'd apparently been called forth as well? Were they already inside, receiving their orders and dividing their promised reward?

Suddenly nervous, she opened the door only slightly, peering inside. Beyond the fire in the center of the room, a sizeable group of well-equipped people stood about, talking amongst themselves. She'd never seen so many different races at once before, and found herself transfixed. They seemed to be dividing manpower, going by how they pointed at maps and gestured to one another. Without the Jarl in sight, her heart fell, and she pushed the door fully open, closing it behind herself quietly to seal in the heat. "Pardon me," She began unsurely, approaching the firepit but keeping it between herself and the group.

"Unless there is dissent amongst the ranks then we have our plan, yes? First ones to be done with their killing and back at the meeting point get their drinks paid for by whoever shows up after." The Khajiit who'd spoken looked hardened, his fur a dark color, a sword and dagger lurking by his hips. Perhaps he was the leader, as commanding as his words were. She turned her gaze on him and bowed her head just slightly, giving him her best sheepish grin.

"Oh…were you all called upon by the Jarl as well? I suppose I'm late, then...I hope I could still be of some service."

Sevari looked the new woman up and down. She didn't seem the fighting type so her sword looked like it would be as useful as harsh language. The girl looked to him as if he was the leader, a sheepish grin spread from cheek to cheek. He felt himself start to smirk before he caught himself, him, a leader. "You look the killer. Milkmaids over there need someone to protect them. We're full." He gave her a last once over and nodded over to Zaveed's group. Sevari was a killer who would stab a man for a look, a rumor and sometimes nothing but a little annoyance but he didn't want to get this girl killed. Something about her. He looked back to his party and nodded. This lot on the other hand knew what they were about, the colorful one called it art, the Dunmer called it nothing because he only heard enough words to count on one hand come out of his mouth and the Cyrod with the stick up his arse could call it whatever he wanted as long as he didn't die while trying to look as authoritative as possible in the middle of the fight. He looked the killing type though, so all was well.

"To our horses, then." Sevari nodded to the door and the party took their leave, the Jarl not having the decency for a sendoff. Sevari closed and opened his hands, trembling fingers and sweating palms. Skooma, sugar, either would be good right now, he thought. He noticed he was staring and blinked a few times, squeezing his fist tight enough to make the leather of his gloves creak. Suffian had always had a way with making it seem like he knew a man for years by only spending a few minutes with him. If he was to be the one these men looked to for the time being, he figured he may as well say something. "We've got a ride ahead of us. You," he pointed to the Cyrod that Juin seemed to take such a liking to, "What's your name? Can't actually be Morning Blade, makes as much sense as an Argonian named Knight-of-Colors. What in the hells is with everyone and their titles? Don't suppose you've even got a title, Juin."

"I do indeed. A proper one, in fact you should heed the Prince of Darkness," Juin replied with a wink before hoisting himself atop his horse. "But go on, Morning Blade. Share your name and a bit about what borne your title."

A sudden gust of wind blew upon them as Paints swung up onto his steed, a chill reminder of the cold and dangerous journey that lay ahead. Paints countered it with a gust of his own, a warm gale of laughter.
"All this time we had royalty among us, and we didn't even know! Perhaps I should have been more courteous. My apologies, dear Prince." His flashed a toothy grin while he slipped his hood over his feathers. "You'll have to forgive Sevari's impertinence, my liege, he's obviously angry that no one has yet granted him his own interesting name." He flicked a teasing tongue at the Khajiit. "Envy doesn't suit you, 'Sevari the title-less.'"

Viryn, the Morning Blade, followed along to the horses. He climbed up with ease onto his own steed, not needing any assistance even if he did seem to be aging. "Morning Blade is a title that was given to me by my peers." He spoke in a calm manner, ignoring the Khajit's tongue. "My real name is Viryn Moslpus, I served in the Imperial Legion when I was just a lad. I served in only a few battles during the Great War." That was all he would speak about. He would not go into details with someone who didn't serve, especially a silver-tongued Khajit.

"Too few details, my child. Your prince demands deh-tails!" Juin boomed in a voice animated and long forgotten. The dunmer felt a chill, nay, a lightness in his breast. He'd sounded like a boy soldier just then. Not young in age, but still in heart again if even for the briefest of moments. He slumped back into his seat atop the horse and braced against the bone-chilling winds.

"Envy? Oh, I envy those who don't have to sell themselves to a Snow Elf bitch and then to a Jarl to live sometimes. But to envy a man called the Prince of Darkness? You need a better title Juin." Sevari smirked,"Knife-for-Hire. Sev'Ahmet, it's what it means in Yoku, the Redguard language. Khajiit do not have family names, but my profession is my title is the name my brothers and I were given in the fashion of the Man races." Sevari said, flicking a coin to the stableboy before urging his horse on, the others in tow. It had begun to snow as Sevari pulled his cloak's hood over his hat. The hat Suffian had brought back from a job. No doubt it was from a dead man, but he cut the holes for his ears and tossed it to the fresh unblooded Khajiit and he'd taken it like a pauper takes a loaf of bread from a king.

"This is the most Sevari has heard you speak, Juin. At least to me, you and Paints seem to get along well enough. You seem to like Viryn, though. You two know each other from somewhere?" He asked. "I won't force you to tell me, though. Not until after we finish killing whoever we need to. You get to know a man before the killing is done and you find yourself needlessly sad when he doesn't step out the other side with you." Sevari shifted in his saddle and rolled his shoulders. "A knight, a prince and a soldier." He mused. "I know Viryn the Morning Blade was a soldier once. 'Fought in a few battles during the Great War' he says. That leaves the prince and the knight." Sevari spat into the snow, a habit he'd picked up somewhere beyond where his memories could take him.

"Knight-of-Colors," Sevari chuckled, "Knife-for-Hire doesn't seem to be able to hold a stick to his highnessPrince of Darkness or Morning Blade, but I've never seen a knight like you. In High Rock, we have two kinds of knights. Those who kill for oaths and lords and those kill for gold and anyone. I stopped asking myself which one was the better man after some time..." Sevari spat and a low grunt at the memory of one he'd met while locked up in Daggerfall resurfaced, him and his hot breath, him not being able to breathe, hand over his mouth, helplessness, weakness, fear, "Maybe you're just another man who puts on armor and kills others with his sword. They kill, I kill, you kill. However which way you look at it, we're not so different, we're none of us better than the other. But which one are you, Knight-of-Colors? Oaths or gold? I have a shred of respect and liking towards you for doing me this kindness," He held his hand out and wriggled the fingers of his once mangled hand, the hole in the glove still there like and staring like an empty eye socket, "I'd hate to lose it knowing you think lowly of me because I don't call the way I spill men's blood art. At least Juin has the decency to just kill men and be done with it. I think." He looked back and smiled, "Can we all agree to just kill like honest men?"

Juin eyed Sevari carefully. The khajit seemed friendly enough, and today especially loose, but was this a ploy? There was little offer on the cold road to an unknown cave. Perhaps he simply wanted a bit of pleasant conversation before the end, or maybe to deter any untrusted blades to pierce his back. So be it.

"A better title? You act as if they're crafted on a moment's whim," the dunmer replied, his voice serious and even. Juin then guided his steed closer to Sevari's and leaned slightly toward. "Perhaps I've ignored you, Sevari. Allow me to share with you something, then. Viryn's time soldiering was as a commander. The commander of my commander, in fact. I do not so much like him as I know his background with a blade. Better than with some of the others, aye?"

"Hmmm, Knife-for-Hire, Knife-for-Hire..." Paints rolled the words around in his mouth, as if judging their texture. His smile didn't waver: despite their grim destination, the prospect of leaving Winterhold behind had apparently lifted a burden from his companions' shoulders. He'd never heard Juin sound so young and cheerful, and even the usually dour Khajiit seemed to be opening up to the rest of the group. "Not the most inventive of names, but it's refreshing in its simplicity, I suppose."

He gestured dismissively at Sevari's injured hand.
"A kindness perhaps, but also a matter of principle. Gold means little to me; I am subject only to my own oaths, and my oaths are clear. 'Help the needy,' they say, and so I helped." He began counting off on his fingers. "Just as I am sworn to 'protect the innocent and the meek,' to 'uphold righteousness' and 'destroy evil, wherever it may lurk.'" He stared down at the three outstretched fingers for a quiet moment before he shrugged, smiled, and returned his hand to the reins. "And many more, besides. It is simply my duty. And make no mistake, Knife, I do not begrudge you your motivations. Once, I too held a mercenary's life. I fought for gold, for companionship...I fought because I was skilled at killing, and assumed that was all that mattered." He shrugged again, his smile shrinking a bit. "I was lost then, until I found my purpose."

And then he remembered, like a bolt of lightning across his mind, like a veil being torn by a knife to release the light beneath. He remembered a piece of a dream, a sudden moment of clarity from some murky and forgotten place within his memory. He saw a dog, old and grayed, and he heard it speak. "To fight without reason is to waste one's time, and one's life. Do you understand?"

And he remembered another dream, the one from the night before, a single image of a Breton sitting high in the orchard's canopy, his voice sad and sweet as it drifted down to him like a breeze through the leaves. "You made your choice."

And then it was gone, the remembrance slipping through his claws like sand through a sieve, leaving only a vague and unsettling chill to hang in the vacated space. Paints shuddered slightly and pulled his cloak tighter around his frame.
No time for dreams. He found his smile again. "We all have our paths to walk, some more grisly than others. It is not my place to judge. Whatever your motivations, you are here at my side, and our work is honest, and just. That is enough for me."

Juin split off for a moment to speak quietly with Sevari, leaving Paints to frown in annoyance.
Well, now I just feel left out. "My liege," he called out to the Dunmer with a mirthful grin, "pray-tell, why do you find yourself among such peasantry today? Did you take this job for gold? Oaths? Perhaps it was simply a flight of royal fancy?"

"Peasants and royals, are we so different?" Juin challenged, tasting the naivety inherent to the words. "We kill for money, paid to abide by another's will, or we kill for duty, charged to abide by another's vision of right or wrong. I am here because I am like Sevari. I too envy a man who need not abide by Jarls or distinguished ambassadors -- only better becoming such a man helps others along the way."

The dunmer took again a normal distance. He noted the Morning Blade's quiet demeanor, and continued, "Fought in a few battles, aye Viryn? What does a soldier's mind say about our situation here? How would you suggest we take on this mysterious foe-cave?"

When Paints started explaining where he lay on the scale of morality, Sevari nodded to each of his points. All of them his own oaths and the oaths were to himself and his beliefs. He respected that more than Paints could ever know or Sevari would ever tell. Let it be known in Sevari's actions when he stands at the backs of the others, it's the only reassurance a man like Sevari needed. When Paints told him he killed because he was good at it, Sevari understood all too well.
I fought because I was skilled at killing, Aren't we all, I was lost then,I found myself in my work, until I found my purpose, I have one... don't I? He thought. He swallowed with fast-fleeting uncertainty and worked up some spit to leave behind him, a parting gift to Winterhold should he die. Fucking sugar, at least a drink, something. His mind wandered back, until Paints found a purpose, as self-righteous as it sounded to Sevari, at least he wasn't subject to the whims of others.

Sevari snorted,
and for all of his righteous causes fought for, he rides with me, as rich and as poor as me.What is the difference then? After a caravan sacking, when he looked at the dead, there was no difference between the ones who protected the weak and who raped and killed. They all looked the same, just dead. And even here, riding to a cave to make more dead men, they all looked the same. Men who wore armor and carried swords for killing. Sevari had always known that life was a game of chess, or cards, even. The winner was the one who kept the stoniest of faces and even when you get dealt a shit hand, the right way of carrying yourself left everyone broke and you the king among dirty-faced paupers. It was Fa'azri who at least said one thing he came to agree with, History is filled with dead good men. Good men with consciences, good men with oaths, good men cut down with nothing to offer but mercy. Mercy and cowardice are two words for the same thing, shit on it. No one was giving their gold to the good men, not here, not in High Rock, nowhere. If it's one thing Suffian said that stuck, if you want a thing, you take it, the greatest man is the one who snatches the most. It'd be a damn sight better if the world worked differently, but that's the way it is. Even so, as his own hands quaked with the need for sugar, as his own ends were fueled by nothing but gold, his tangent felt more as if he was poking his own self back onto the path rather than putting Paints' morality in its place.

"Cut from the same cloth, us all. Wanting to live above the petty squabbles, or at least away from them. Juin has the right of it but you, Paints, you seem to have found peace in your purpose. One of us finding it better to help the weak by killing the strong for nothing but a smile and thanks." Sevari said, wondering now if killing for gold was any more or any less purposeful, "Not as if it's a bad thing. A man's got to have a code and you live by your own. I respect that. The gold is the only reason I'm here, though." It wasn't a lie, just a truth led by the nape. It was gold, or the lack thereof, that put him in this place and it was gold that kept him in it. The prospect of a knife in the back from a Thalmor agent had something to do with it, he'll admit, but gold is as nice a reason as any. "Make no mistake, we've all fought together and come out the other side. You may feel different, but I trust them that I almost die with."

Viryn listened as they all spoke. Oaths, gold, blood, honor, and Viryn could respect their own reason for taking up a blade and killing others. He was not like them, at first anyways. He originally enlisted into the Military because his Homeland was being attacked, his kin were dying. They were being invaded, and all he could do was sit in Skingrad and listen to the news, until he enlisted. Taking someone's life no longer crept into the dreams of the Morning Blade, no dreams came anymore. The details of his life were his own, only shared among friends and no one here was a friend of his. They were here for Gold, but Viryn offered his help because the Empire requested it of him. He asked for no pay, no titles or lands, only the satisfaction that he could preserve the safety of Cyrodiil. He fought to protect his Family and his Country.

On to something else, about what they should be doing when they come to the cave and what may be in there. He had no clue, but these lands were full of monstrosities. His horse moved in sync with the groups, he was pondering on how to answer Juin's question about the cave and the foe. He kept his mouth shut from telling Juin and the rest the obvious answer of handling whatever was in the cave carefully, and patiently.
"Well. We need to go in there and be cautious. We don't know what we are dealing with. It might not even be in this cave, or the other one for that matter. It could of moved, farther or closer away."

To find peace. Juin admired Paints, and Sevari too for embracing what he observed in the argonian. Truly this Knight of Colours felt at peace with their nature and that inner-calm was power.

"Ever insightful, Sevari. A bard in this life or a past one surely," Juin added before Viryn offered his piece.

Juin remembered the allegories of seasoned officers as they detailed battle plans. Without knowledge of the area, or the enemy, was that a fair expectation?

The dunmer chimed in, "We've encountered those creatures before. Perhaps our best tactics will be feeding off our experience of them thus far."

"I can't sing for shit and I've never touched an instrument in my life. But don't get it confused, friend, I respect Paints for his code. My code's still to be the one who lives. I stab a few men, so be it." Sevari grinned his wolf's grin, "Far as you lot are concerned, you've passed beyond the list of people I might have to stab and on to people I wouldn't like to see get stabbed. Not if I could help it. Just don't stab me and we'll have none but sunshine and rainbows between us, eh?"

When Juin mentioned the things in the cave, he suppressed a shudder,
"Fucking things were hard to put down." Sevari grimaced, shaking his head with a low growl, the memory of pain and fragility he felt with his split hand. But they bled, so that was that, and in the end they died. "Hunt what you fear, my friends. Hunt what you fear. We'll worry about what-ifs and maybes if we find nothing there. I don't know how the Legion works but I've carried out work like this before. I'm sure the lot of you find it odd no one's trying to collect a bounty on the children. Usually, I'd say we're dealing with sick fucks and we cut a cross over their bellies and pull their guts out in front of them but we all know what we saw in those caves couple days ago. Stick close, each man watches the other's back and we'll all go home."

Peace, aye. Then why do I still dream? Paints tossed the thought away, a careless sentiment to the wind, a truth too distracting. He turned to the company of happier thoughts instead. "Aye, we've made out pretty well, for a band of misfits and mercenaries! Twice now we've been set upon by those that bear ill will, and twice now we've been victorious, with none to thank but our own skills and the camaraderie we've forged. Motivations, histories...they make little difference, I suppose, as long as we can trust one another." He grinned, nudged his horse closer to Juin and slapped an overly-familiar hand onto his shoulder. "So far, you all have done admirably on that front. Such honor! Perhaps you should consider becoming knights yourselves, yes?"

With another laugh and a shake of his head he drifted back to the center of the group.
"You're obviously a man of few words, Viryn, so I assume you'll heed mine wisely: we've fought evil once before, something...unfathomable, abominable...whatever we find in this cave, we cannot hesitate.

"Oh, and all this talk of stabbing?" His mouth curled in disgust. "I see why you've earned your name, Knife. But perhaps we can lighten the mood a bit, yes? You say you can't sing, but I'm sure you're just being modest." He gestured grandly to the group as a whole. "Come now, it's the best way to pass the time, and we've got just enough people for a proper round! What say you, friends?"

Without waiting for an answer, he began to whistle the first bar of an old traveling song, one he could only assume the others would recognize. He even dipped into the first few verses, his voice as raspy and biting as the wind.

"From high within the mountains/
where the stream does fountain forth/
I will wait with all my fine clothes/
For what it's worth, what it's worth,

And from deep within the caverns/
from the bowels of the earth/
I will echo all my love then/
for what it's worth, what it's worth"

He dipped a shoulder towards Juin, ever smiling.
"Come on now, tell me you've got the melody! Or does the Prince find himself without a voice?"

"You'll just have to get me drunk first." Sevari said, trying at a spot of humor to break up all his dour talk. That was the one thing Suffian had said about him when he came back from Daggerfall, You're too serious, you're not you. Sevari had to agree with him, Daggerfall made him prioritize things, leave some things behind and take on some new things. This wasn't Daggerfall or anywhere in High Rock though, it wouldn't do any harm to at least try to be a bit more like Suffian. Or more like himself before Daggerfall. "Think the only thing missing now is the mead. Maybe a wench or two for each of us. While we're at it with the dreaming, we shit gold and I'm crowned High King of High Rock." Sevari said with a smile when Paints started singing. "Fuckin' speaking of which..." He fished his flask of whiskey from his saddlebag and held it up, only enough for himself. His stomach growled at that moment and he rolled his eyes, jamming the flask back in his saddlebag. "Another morning spent killing more than eating. Just once, I'd like a damn meal." He brought a piece of dried meat out and tore into it, "A real meal."

And just like that, as jaunty as ever, as brooding as ever, as young-again as ever, as hungry as ever, four riders left town with snow drifting down between them, a song around them and some dark work ahead of them. Another day, Sevari reckoned.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Zaveed chuckled at Sevari. "And to think I was going to save you something to drink! It is better to be twig-armed than risk our balls freezing off. I fully expect you to return to us a eunuch." He said, giving him a mocking bow. "I suspect us clever and efficient folks will be done before you lot find your miserable hole of choice that's probably empty, save a few trolls. You have quite the sweet tooth; you'd probably go down like a pastry to them." He said before turning to the newcomer, a khajiit that was only vaguely familiar. Zaveed raised an eye ridge at the newcomer, somewhat irritated at his butting in and making himself immediately chummy. He was familiar, but Zaveed couldn't place him, until he remembered that morning. He'd barely registered the stranger due to a mixture of disorientation, sickness, and fright before he barged back to his tent to try and get more rest.

The corsair had seen the naive look in the kid's eyes far too many times. Inexperienced, full of wanderlust and a body that was softer than a nobleman's bedspread. What use would he be? Perhaps Sevari had a point; he'd make good bait if something terrible gave chase.
"And who might you be? You don't appear the adventuring type." He crossed his arms, drumming his fingers across his coat. "I don't know if you're desperate for a chunk of useless land or what your business is, but I've seen your type before and they don't take well to when some shitbird tries to dash their skull in. Think you're capable of handling yourself, Hero. Last thing I need is someone who can't handle his own or watch his crew's backs." He gestured towards the other group, milling about a map and planning their route."See that lot? I've been traveling and fighting with them for three days now and if what we encounter is anything like what I've had to kill to reach here alive, then I would be amiss to not tell you that I think I have an idea of what the Jarl's gotten himself in a twist over. Then there's you. What, exactly, do you have to offer?"

Markain steadied himself against his staff, his blood still boiling beneath his pale blotchy skin. The robe figure loosened his grip, opening and closing his hand several times as he approached the Khajiits that were to be his travel partner, the Unreadable One and a newer, smaller variant. Swallowing his terse rebukes at the Nordic Neanderthal, Markain relinquished himself to the task at hand. His previous run-in with the swarthy bastard cat set Markain on the defensive, his tried-and-true approaches having little influence. He'd have to be more careful with this newcomer.

Indeed, I don't believe you were among the cheerful faces at the Inn yesterday, you missed quite the party. Markain shot a knowing glance to Zaveed. Speaking of which, you never did tell me why you and your motley crew are this far north. Enigma or no, I can see you well enough to know you're the sort who wants to know who you're bleeding with. You know my purpose for this venture, as far as I'm concerned your motives are as clouded the the young one's here. Markain lifted the bottom of his staff slightly and gestured it toward the newblood. My apologies, my name is Markain, and yours?

Zaveed regarded the Breton with a bemused gaze.
"If you want the answer to that, go ask the Imperial garrison. I'm sure they'll love to share secrets with you. Confidentiality agreement, you see. I go running my mouth and they find out, I lose out on a hefty bonus to my pay." he winked at the nosey mage, before returning his attentions to the khajiit.

Ja 'Kiefer placed his arms on his hips and huffed.
This guys is a rude fella. Although granted, this one DID assert itself into his business anyways.

He watched as the Vomiting Ignorant Khajiit sized him up and down before making assumptions and such about Ja 'Kiefer, and awaited his analysis of who he thinks Ja 'Kiefer really is. After asked with a barrage of questions and some insults on the side, he answered;
"Yes, you would be correct in the assumption. This one is no adventurer. I'm here to live a life different than the one I was living. Based on the situation, looks like I came to the right place." He replied of how Ja 'Kiefer was young, and inexperienced and unable to fight. It got him mad, but not enough to outburst, instead, he let off some steam by moving his arms up to cross him, and give the whole charade some thought before answering; "You know, you were in the same position as I was once, so was that one over there, and so was the one you just talked too. So, what makes me any different? Better yet, look at yourself as a new-blood, and tell me if that would survive on this expedition?" He let his arms down, calming a bit; "As for what I can bring to the table...Well, I think it would rather be best to just show you that out on the battlefield don't you think?" He ended the reply with a simple, innocent shrug, and turned to meet the Reachman, who, in comparison to Vomiting Ignorant Khajiit, was incredibly nice.

He was nice, in the fact that the first time they meet, he didn't brush him off like dirt, although, he wasn't kind enough to go shaking hands with him. To Ja 'Kiefer, he was a mystery, neutral. He crossed his hands behind his back, and gave a slight nod of the head. With a lofty voice, he answered;
"And I'm Ja 'Kiefer, pleased to meet you. Do you have any questions to offer? Or shall I offer them?"

"I doubt we've ever been in the same position. I killed my first man around the same time as my sac dropped, and I had quite a few years of hard, thankless labour preceding that. Things like this are rather routine for me, I'm afraid." Zaveed grinned. "I'd rather you tell me what you think you can do, then we can work on what you can't do. While there's a chance this is a wild horker hunt with absolutely no danger involved, best not be caught with our pants around our ankles, hm?" he said with a wink. Zaveed transitioned into a theatrical bow, hand across his chest. "I am Zaveed of Senchal, at your service. As for your inquiry, mage," he said, returning his attention to Markain. "My motives are simple. People pay me for my services, and I deliver said service without much fuss. Too many questions just muddy the waters, so to speak. I imagine Ja'Kiefer here shares a similar sentiment, hm? Thirst for gold, fame, and adventure?" he sighed, dropping his hands to the axe heads on his hips. "Truly, a life worth living. Who knows? Maybe they'll write a song about you one day."

Ja 'Kiefer was amazed at how fast the man cleaned up, from being rude and blunt at one moment, to a warm, caring man the next, how he managed to change his mannerisms so fast was beyond him, but he was being thoughtful now, so it's best to accept it while it still exists.

Zaveed touched a bit on his past, he definitely had it worse than him, then again, most people had it worse than him. He had nothing amazing, he lived in the lap of luxury, and worse still, he threw it all away, and there is never a day he didn't forget about it. He shook his head as thoughts from near and far charged at his head. He was asked once again what skills he had. Finally, he nodded;
"I have fought before, yes, like you said, we've all had to come through some battle before coming here to Winterhold, no? Combat-Wise, I offer ranged fighting." He guested toward the smaller axes on his hips "Unlike some people, this one doesn't like blood squirting in the face all the time. Other than that, I offer measurements, warmth, and bait. I already can tell you see me as bait, right?" He chuckled, "Right n like everyone here, even the ones I've not met! Once again, I'll have to show you in order to prove my words, you cannot trust everything you say?" He smiled hinting at Zaveed's suddenly excellent persuasion. He rewarded his answer by providing his name, and giving a theatrical bow.

He asked about the rewarding they had, and if he wanted to be rich and famous. Ja 'Kiefer responded;
"I would love a bit of gold here and there, yeah, so would you, if you wanted to get over those bums in the road. But I don't want to be famous or have a song about me or anything, too much reputation and responsibility. What about you, you here for any incentive?"

Markain's burning ears perked up.
Ranged fighter, eh?

As a mage it was all but decided in the eyes of the lesser folk Markain would of course hurl the elements screaming through to air to impale, incinerate or otherwise destroy his hapless adversaries. Much to their chagrin however the Reachman had no use for such macabre methods. His father was a quiet man but his lessons still echoed today; the old's man's words lay like silver etching on the young mage's heart.

"Listen dear son, for I speak once and strike thereafter. We are makers. Crafters. Our's is not to destroy. Leave that to the Nords in their huts and the Gods in their pisspot temples. Never kill anything you don't intend to eat. A corpse is good to no one save the crows and the worms. Are you so lowly in your station you feed the beasts of this land? No. You are man. You make. Create. Never forget that boy. Better to open their eyes to your cause than close them forever. Now grab my hammer, we've an order to fill!"

The rest of the stranger's words crashed against Markain and broke unheeded as his mind wandered, his fingers gravitated absentmindedly to the iron band on his thumb, a simple strip of metal gifted from his father the night he left for the College.

What about you, you here for any incentive?

Markain was pulled back to the present, unsure if the small Ja spoke to him or Zaveed.
Shit, what did he say? Markain's thought searched for anything he could remember pulling only the refrain of ranged warfare. It'll have to do.

You seem a nice enough sort, I'll level with you.

We're in the Jarl's longhouse, sorry kid but I'm not going to level with you.

Whatever this threat facing the Jarl and his people turns out to be, it's also a threat to the College. Winterhold will stand a better chance if we hold united against this creature.
Markain shifted his eyes quickly toward the distracted Housecarl to see if his bullshit sounded the least bit believable then back to Ja. My incentive is finally being able to sleep again without seeing my poor dead mother's face. Markain of course had never met his mother but no one here knew that.

Zaveed clapped his hands expectantly together.
"Splendid! We're all in this for a good night's sleep, hm?" he said, dodging the question for his own reason for being here. As if I'd be in this frozen shithole by choice... he thought, smiling widely at his two companions. "So, Ja'Kiefer here will watch our backs, I'll take point, and we'll all be back before the Jarl has a chance to have a nervous breakdown. It will be a grand time!" he looked at the other group and back to his two companions. "I have some last minute preparations to attend to, including somewhere to sleep tonight that has walls, so we'll meet in front of the stables in ten minutes. Or something around there, it's impossible to tell time when you can't see the fucking sun." he nodded to his two companions before turning around and finding himself face to face with a mousey looking blonde Breton woman. "Ahh..."he said, not finding a socially appropriate quip for the moment. "I suppose I'm taking all the smiling new faces. How long have you been standing there?" he asked, stepping beside the woman and guiding her towards the circle with a hand on the small of her back. "Come on, we don't bite! Well, I don't unless I pay extra for that privilege, and we know morally questionable magic isn't the only freaky thing that happens in the College, but if you're here to be one of the Jarl's henchmen, then by all means, you're with us. Ja'Kiefer here," he pointed towards the other khajiit. "Is here because he wants to get rich from a man that has nothing, and Markain here," he gestured to the mage. "Was relating how sleep isn't all it's cracked up to be. And myself? Also in it for a good night's sleep and seeing how desperate the Jarl is to part with family heirlooms. Who might you be, miss? What forces of terrible desperation made you decide to waltz into these halls with such a hardy group of travelers?" he asked, his tone so dry it could have caught the hall on fire had it been tangible.

Gelina was very quickly overwhelmed by the many people speaking, both amongst themselves and to the group, and as she watched the proceedings, concentrating on as many conversations as she can, she meted out the many personalities and nuances of each party member. A very colorful Argonian, presenting himself with confidence--she liked the confident ones, they took to her more readily; that same commanding Khajiit, in his fur hat and skillful footing; another Khajiit, this one younger, a little kinder looking. The others did not trust his ability, but she would withhold judgement until she saw him in his supposed element. A Dark Elf next, brandishing small weapons and light armor, looking contemplative but not particularly hard. He wasn't as grizzled as the next man, an Imperial of some age to be standing alongside the other fighters. He would have much wisdom, perhaps a few stories he'd enjoy regaling alongside. Another human, of a race she found difficult to immediately place, carried a staff and robes; a mage of the College, presumably.

The man to approach her filled her with sudden--but swiftly buried--alarm, and she let herself be led by the small of her back towards the group. He seemed the amiable sort of Khajiit, his whiskers folding and raising to follow the motions of his speech, and she made a show of relaxing slightly under his touch. She chuckled airily at his questions and quips, responding with something to entertain.
"Ah, henchmen? I thought I was to join Winterhold's first ever multicultural dancing troupe." If this Khajiit was to lead however many people she was fighting alongside, he was priority. She nodded to the two other men, smiling. "My name is Gelina. Very nice to meet you, Markain, Ja'Kiefer." She turned back to the other Khajiit. "While you so kindly introduced your companions, I'm afraid I didn't catch your name?"

"Ah, where are my manners?" Zaveed grinned, bowing. "Please call me Zaveed. And don't you fret; there will be plenty of time to recite our dancing dreams while we wait for that boorish lot over there to return from some distant damp hole full of unspeakable terrors."

"Damp holes full of unspeakable terrors? Just what I was looking for when I set off for Winterhold." So the Jarl wanted them to prod around caves? She'd picked up mention of them, but couldn't discern the entire situation. She hated caves and the underground in general--no trees, nowhere to escape, and the only sky she could admire was dung-encrusted stalactites. But she didn't let her hesitance show, and glanced back to the door. "You said we would meet by the stables? I will be there," She glanced over her shoulder and watched the more intimidating bunch leave, "Unless you have need of me."

Zaveed winked. "Well, 'need' is something that can be discussed later. For now, we get our shit together and move out. We won't need heavy travel loads, just enough for a day trip, if that. If you do not have a horse, you can double up with one of us. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to take a mighty piss." He nodded to the group and drew his coat close as he stepped out into the frosty air.

Making his way back to the Legion's encampment to stock up on arrows, his gaze caught sight of the young girl that had been the talk of the town. Ever since she was discovered after her brief disappearance, all she seemed content to do was sit on her porch and just watch everyone, it was said. A hold guard kept a close eye on the girl ever since then, given that she represented something of a rarity; a missing child that came back. It would stand that she would be protected, even if she outwardly tried to shut everyone else out. In fact, she didn't talk to anybody since her return. Zaveed regarded her for a few moments, suddenly taking an interest in the girl's now jerky head movements. Her eyes widened somewhat and met Zaveed's, who stared back. What had gotten into her? Moments later, she was off of her porch and scurrying under it and behind some storage crates that were kept out of the way and out of sight. He couldn't say he blamed her; Winterhold had everyone on edge. Dismissing her eccentric behaviour as more of the same, Zaveed continued on his way, feet trudging through the ever collecting snow.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
After an hour of riding, Sevari sat in the snow with the others, wrapped in his cloak tightly but shivering all the same. He swallowed nervously, wringing his hands and feeling one trembling hand with the other, cursing himself, cursing Fa'azri, cursing that fucking Breton they'd worked for in Wayrest. Him and his drugs. He wondered why Jivami didn't take his place as the one who ate the most sugar and skooma like it was food. But he knew why and he shivered with the memory, feeling like he should scrub himself until he bled. He spat into the snow and looked at the others. They sat in silence, watching through the snow, the cave mouth but a faint suggestion beyond the screen of hundreds upon thousands of tiny flecks of the white stuff, falling a soft rain. It would have been beautiful, and he thought he'd like to have Sorosi here, curled about him and sharing his cloak had it not been the fact that he and his three companions were readying themselves for going into that cave and bringing death with them. Now's not the time to be thinking of love- or whatever it was he had with Sorosi. Let the other bastards write letters by candlelight and be distracted enough to let his sharp, cold steel slide from ear to ear. Gold easily made.

They'd formulated a very basic plan beforehand, sitting in the snow. There was no way of knowing the layout of the entire cave nor how expansive the caverns would be. It was a different thing to laying siege to a castle or town and it called for a closer group. Whoever was in the caves would know it better than they, a thought that Sevari and no doubt the others did not like, so they would have to travel quietly. Something Viryn and Paints would probably have a hard time doing in their armor. It was decided Juin and Sevari would go first and clear the rooms, being the most nimble and Sevari being able to see in the darkness, and Paints and Viryn would bring up the rear. That was long minutes ago. Sevari stood, finally, looking from face to face and finally coming to Juin's. "You and me. Let's pay a visit."

Quiet as the wind and quick as cats, the two bounded across the expanse of white towards the vague mouth of the cave. With each step brought it looming closer and more real before the finally stood at the entrance, backs to either side of it and looking to each other. Sevari noticed he wasn't shivering as much. There was a time when Sevari had to work himself up to things like this, talk himself up to be a cold killer, give himself reasons why the person on the other end of his blade should die. Now it was easy, but he didn't have time to ponder whether that fact was good or bad. There was work to be done, and just like Paints said, it was honest and just. Or it was just another way to dress up killing, either way, someone was going to die and someone was going to get paid. The two waited on either side of the cave mouth and Sevari drew a calm breath in, steadying himself and clearing his mind. It was some time since he'd last used a spell and it was a task to recall how.

He let out another breath, still nothing. He drew in another breath and something clicked, a light in his mind came back like embers giving up a flame and just like a flame, it grew. He stayed completely still, and like blowing on the fledgling fire, he fed the tiny idea of silence and muffled movements, visualizing the world around him noiseless. Footsteps muted. Quiet. Tranquil. He smiled, there it was, he could feel it wash over him and he'd cast muffle on himself. Nothing much he could do for Juin, though. The two slipped inside, bent low and moving fast. It was dark but it did not bother him, his eyesight quickly adjusting and soon, it was just like day. A little bluer, sure, but he could see. He saw a single room, two tunnels leading away from it counting the one they'd come in. The other was black as pitch from where Sevari stood, but he heard no snoring, shuffling or any of the like. No one home, he guessed.

Strewn about them was two bedrolls, a couple of lamps and a wooden board with quill, ink and what could be a journal on it. A burlap sack full of something and traveling packs next to the bedrolls. What was odd about it all though, was as Sevari looked around, he finally noticed a circle on the floor of the cave. Od script wrapped itself around the circle and what looked like the streaks of ash refused to be swept up lined the inside of the circle. He didn't like the look of that. He nodded towards the entrance and he and Juin came back outside, waving the other two in. The scene was arrayed before them so they too could take it in. "Search the packs, we'll wait a bit to see if whoever was here comes back and ask a few questions."

Well, from high within the mountains/
where the stream does fountain forth/
I will wait with all my fine clothes/
For what it's worth, what it's worth/

The song rattled around inside of Paints' head, like a dried leaf blown by autumn winds. The sight of the cave, that dark hole gaping from the cliff face, had caused the words to fade from his tongue long before he and Viryn had posted up here near the entrance to wait for their companions. Now, though, he couldn't get them off of his mind. They thudded through his ears, following some pulsing, unsettling beat. A chill wind provided a cruelly shrill instrumentation as it rushed down the nearby mountainside and over his hood. Shivering, the Argonian pulled his cloak closer and continued to wait.

When Sevari had outlined the plan, Paints had known it made sense. He'd smiled, and gestured downwards at his colors. "Aye," he'd jested, "even a blind sentry would have no trouble rousting me from the shadows. I am not one for sneaking about, anyway. You two go ahead, and give us the signal when you're ready, yes?" Now, though, he'd been left in the cold to stare at the pitch black maw of the cave for several minutes. He couldn't help but think back to the last cave they'd ventured into, and the dark surprises that had lain in wait for them. What were the chances that a similar evil lurked within this place, like a beast within its den? It was a relief when Juin and Sevari finally reappeared, and waved the two of them inside.

And from deep within the caverns/
from the bowels of the earth/
I will echo all my love then/
for what it's worth, what it's worth/

He stepped across the threshold a bit warily, despite the all-clear given by his comrades. He'd been surprised once before: he wouldn't let it happen again. The chamber he entered was small, but not entirely cramped. He sniffed the air as he entered, testing for, and half-expecting, a stench of death. All he found was the smell of lamp oil, overlaid upon salt and chalk and leather. One claw reached out to test the glass of the nearest lantern. Cold. That one, at least, hadn't been used recently. The other had already been lit by one of his companions in an effort to drive the shadows back into their corners. Finally feeling a bit more at-ease, he stepped closer to the center of the room, dipping his muzzle at the other tunnel as he kneeled to take a closer look at the burlap sack. "You've checked back there, aye?"

From the bottom of the valley/
in the splendor and the dearth/
I will nurture adoration/
for what it's worth, what it's worth/

The sack was surprisingly heavy, full of irregular shapes that pressed sharply against the burlap. Paints first ran his eyes along its contours, then the tips of his fingers. His claws scratched quietly against the fabric while he traced the edges of whatever lie within, an equally quiet presence of dread beginning to seep up from the pit of his stomach. Enraptured by morbid fascination, he pressed a finger firmly against the bag's surface, his mouth curling when the action elicited a dry rattling from within. The sack's opening was tied around with a single strand of twine; with bared teeth, he snipped it apart with a twist of his claws. The burlap sighed as it relaxed, revealing the opening like a blooming flower. A small cloud of dust was issued forth, a cloud that smelled like dust and death.

The bag was full of ashes and bones. Gray, he noted, his thoughts distant. Gray like the ashes over Irongate. With a delicate hand, he reached in to sift through the detritus. A femur, first. Then a finger joint, scraps of tendons still attached. It pointed up from the ashes, directly at Paints. He did his best to ignore it. There was something about these bones, a horrible truth that he tried to tell himself was simply a trick of the eyes, a truth he tried to deny. Until he found the skull.

O'er the vastness of the ocean/
till my ship has found its berth/
I will come when I am needed/

The skull was small. Too small to be an adult. Part of the jaw had fallen away; Paints could see more teeth within, waiting to replace the baby teeth that had not yet been lost. He held the skull within his cupped claws, staring down into the empty sockets. "Here," he called, without turning his head. His voice was quiet, barely above a whisper, as if he was afraid he would wake the dead. "Here. I found a child." He gently laid the skull back down upon its bed of ashes. And then he rose.

But for all my wayward ramblin'/
I think I prefer the hearth/
Only home when I'm with you, love/

His mind was reeling back, away from the smiling skull, back to another smile not much larger. The stableboy, the one who had helped him dress Rose down in exchange for a story. The boy had smiled up at him, equal parts wonder and admiration. "I'm here to help you," Paints had assured him, flashing a cocky smile. "I am, after all, a knight." But now he heard the rest of the line, the sickening punchline that had been drumming incessantly against the inside of his head. I am, after all, a knight...for what it's worth.

Worth nothing, in the end. He glanced down, again met the accusing gaze of the skull. For all my bravado, I can not save this one. I cannot bring back the dead. He gripped the pommel of his scimitar, twisted it until the edge dug painfully into his scales. But I can make sure justice is done.

"I'll put a blade through their hearts." He spat, practically hissing. It was a promise, to the bones, to his companions, and to himself. "I have no patience for waiting, Knife. Can any of you track? We'll hunt these bastards down and run them through before they even know we're upon them!" He had started to pace, his words hot and angry in the damp cavern air.

Last edited:
Stories depicted agents of death creeping about with neither sound nor concern. Assassins, these trained fellows, some even learned, or perhaps traded something for the ability to walk as shadow itself. Battle might arise, but Juin and Sevari were not assassins. Not shadows either. The dunmer did his best to match the crouched quiet of his comrade as they navigated the humble cavern. His eyes took in the circle painted on the floor and the words all about them. Bedrolls and pots and quills were all tools of sane men. Strange markings painted like dried blood with words even a dunmer from an old city did not recognize did not seem the product of sane men. Sevari looked to Juin and nodded toward the entrance. Juin, for all he'd seen, grimaced and made for a quick retreat.

Outside the cave winter wrought reminders of its fury. The rain and snow fell gentle, yet steady, enough to obscure and cause one to question from a distance. Juin rested a hand on his short sword, but otherwise trusted the judgment of their team. They entered quietly though with more speed than their pathfinders. Paints set his sights on a sack and began to search immediately. Meanwhile, Juin opened the journal they'd spotted upon entering. Odd script, similar to what decorated the floor. He considered a moment the implications. The dunmer was no professor and no bard, but Solstheim was a land with many years behind it and many languages as well. To not feel even a twinge of familiarity, this script had to be something quite old -- or perhaps quite different. He continued flipping the pages of indiscernible language until coming up a drawing.

"Here. I found a child." The painted argonian reported, his voice low with the weight of the words.

Juin met eyes with Paints and nodded. "More of that script from the floor. A drawing too, crude, but clearly many figures with hands raised toward a single and large man with arms stretched wide." He let the words sink in a moment before continuing. "We have all seen monsters before. So what kind are we hunting here?"

"I'll put a blade through their hearts. I have no patience for waiting, Knife. Can any of you track? We'll hunt these bastards down and run them through before they even know we're upon them!" The Knight of Colours hissed as he paced about the room.

"Who and what are we hunting, brother knight? Two bedrolls might mean two bodies, but we all saw those strange things before. Perhaps these two control the things, like men and their hounds. Say hunt and I will hunt. But why not set a trap for these bastards in their home? I've a little Nightshade we can mix in the food or drink, or simply ground and dust upon their pillows. I'd rather make skooma to sell, but I lack sugar anyway."

The Frozen Hearth was close, and Zaveed reflected that even if it lived up to its moniker, it was still warmer than the frozen plane of Oblivion that was the outdoors. The khajiit trudged through the snow, acutely aware he was on a tight schedule, but to Oblivion if he were to sleep in that fucking tent again. Arms wrapped tight around him, his eyes were focused on the door, his destination. His upcoming task would be made more bearable if he knew he had a proper, warm bed to return to. Assuming the other bastards stranded here hadn't occupied each and every one of them. He tried to imagine tropical seas and turquoise waters shimmering brilliantly in the light, with dolphins leaping brilliantly in front of the bow of the ship. It was impossible to think of that as a real memory, let alone a real place. For Zaveed, the entire fucking planet might as well be a frozen wasteland of which there would be no escape. The only redeeming thing was that his boots were water sealed and were the toughest and finest leather he could afford. They did little in the way of proper warmth, but a dry cold was much more tolerable than wet and insufferable misery.

Suddenly, the air was very still and the blistering wind that had become commonplace stopped. The air, once a tempest, was no eerily still, as if the world itself held its breath. A sense of foreboding filled Zaveed as he pressed on to the inn, trying to ignore the sensation that told him the temperature was plummeting. A feeling of refuge filled him as he grabbed the door handle and pulled, admitting himself access. The Frozen Hearth was only sparsely filled with patrons, many of whom were stranded and did not wish to risk the road, and a few off-duty Legionnaires. Zaveed pressed on to a man sweeping a broom. "I want a room." He stated.

"Get in line. We're full up, and as soon as a room comes available, someone takes it within a couple hours. Young Breton girl just grabbed the last vacancy not that long ago." The man replied. Zaveed immediately knew whom he was speaking of. Well, if there were an "accident", who would know? he thought darkly, but only half-seriously. He wasn't about to murder a woman for a room, even if his situation was miserable. I could always charm her, let her know the perks of sharing…

"Look, if I spend another night out in that damn storm I'm going to make some very poor and regrettable choices, friend. It isn't natural and it defies explanation! In fact, on my way over, the wind just stopped altogether and the temperature started to plummet, and judging from the windows, it's getting darker and it's still morning!" Zaveed snapped back, scowling at the man, resisting the urge to drive a finger into his chest to bring the point home. He was taken aback when the colour left the man's face.

"By the gods, no…" The man whispered, eyes wide and staring desperately at the khajiit. "You said this just started?"
"Why, yes, as a matter of-"

"Everyone, get out of sight, hide!"

"What in Oblivion are you on about?" Zaveed demanded. He would shortly after wish he never asked.

In inhuman and soul-chillingly feral roar filled the air, shaking the very walls of the tavern, and everything was still; even the fire seemed to have died down in deference to the roar. The inn keep moved to a corner of the building behind the counter and began to pull at the heavy iron ring of a trap door. "Here, quickly! But be quiet!" He urge the patrons to join him, and soon the locals, or travelers who had been stranded for some time started making their way over, fear evident on the faces. Zaveed had his axes in hand, his own nerves fraying as he looked around at the windows. The Legionnaires and some of the travelers stood, weapons in hand. Either they were brave enough to face the threat, or they were too stupid to know better.

The door shot open and one of the citizens appeared in the doorway, an impenetrable grey darkness behind him, his panic accentuated by panting and trying to slip in the door as quickly as he could. The roar erupted again, this time dangerously close and painful to the ears and a shadow formed behind the man, who was suddenly off his feet and gripping desperately at the doorframe. "NO, NO, PLEASE, I BEG-" He screamed in terror before his grip gave out and he was pulled out of sight. A piercing, agonized scream shot through the air, terrified yelping of a man in terrible pain who was far beyond reasonable thought, and suddenly it was quiet. A Legionnaire closest to the door hurried to the door and shut it, stepping away, sweat dripping from his brow despite the plummeting cold. It was as if death itself had awoken from a terrible slumber and had come to collect their souls. The silence was broken by the sounds of terrified, whinnying horses and suddenly something heavy and massive landed on the roof, accompanied by an angry, pained chorus of growls of something that Zaveed failed to have words to describe, let alone dare contemplate what uttered it. Whatever had landed upon the roof began to bash against the weaker wood, and the supports began to shake and crack, and soon a gaping hole emerged with a massive, fleshy hand that looked like it belonged to some kind of flayed, massive ogre with four thick fingers with hard, blackened claws. Shards of bones jutted from the skin, and the creature's sounds of exertion and rage, including that damned horrific scream filled the inn, and it was such that Zaveed could imagine nothing more horrible.

And suddenly, the arm disappeared and it was gone.

A meek voice spoke between quiet, terrified sobs. "It's found us. By Shor, it's found us…"

"What was that thing?" one of the Legionnaires demanded, her voice shrill.

"The Grendel."

The door of the inn cracked under the force of something heavy, and after three savage blows, it shattered off the hinges and the entire frame buckled as something massive forced its way through, bones sounding like they snapped and the sickening sounds of them setting again. What Zaveed saw made his jaw drop and filled him with a fear unlike anything he had ever experienced and he found himself subconsciously stepping back, stopped by the bar counter. It was hulking, 14 feet in height and what looked like it had once been a man's face, although its blooded jaw was too large and wide to be considered anywhere remotely normal. Wide, bulbous eyes stared unblinking at the people in the room, judging them all with an expression that could not be described other than unspeakable rage. Its arms were like tree trunks, as were the legs, and across its body looked like smaller, shriveled limbs protruded from it like some kind of disgusting mass, its skinless form pulsating with the protruding bone shards and errand limbs twitching and shifting without rhyme or reason. Before Zaveed could take the abomination in, one of the travelers charged the monstrosity with a flail, cracking a bone jutting out of its shoulder clean in half. He was rewarded with being grabbed by the creature and pulled towards one of the many mouths it had on its side, impaling him through the chest on one of the bones, and an arm reached down to hold him in place as the mouths began to feed. It set eyes on Zaveed next, reared up with another ear-splitting roar, and charged.

Last edited:
"Here," Paints whispered from behind Sevari as he peered down the entrance to the other parts of the cave, "Here. I found a child."

"Where?" Sevari's head whipped around in mostly confusion and a piece of him filled with some relief. Sevari stepped over to Paints and opened his mouth to ask again, looking around almost confused before he spotted the sack, remembered the ash on the floor and put those two together. While Paints said something Sevari paid no attention to, he knelt down, a hand hovering over the sack. He wondered what was inside, but he knew when people are left to paint their own fears on a blank canvas, the reality often falls short. Of course, what fell short of the fears painted by his memories buried deep would break anyone. He knew. They broke him. He tried to put some steel back into himself and reached back for the lip of the sack before freezing once more. Slow as molasses, he took it. With a jerk, he opened it up. It's been said that truth is like salt. People need only little to satisfy their tastes, too much and it sickens them, can kill them.

A tiny skull rolled out and stopped at his foot, touching the leather with an empty eye socket. The ash inside the sack puffed out in a thin cloud and Sevari stared at it, a time there was when he would have retched or flew into a hot and seething rage, lusting for blood. But he grew out of it, was taught well-learned lessons. It was by fire one lesson was taught but it was not him the fire touched. The noble-born lad would have died easier from a cut heart than by flame. His lesson was to never settle for half-measures, to never leave room for doubt or for mercy or for fear of vengeance. You settle for only little and there's always a call for just a little more. Better to do it, a choice between killing and dying is no choice at all, they said. As he looked at the ash and to the skull, he knew it. Whoever did this left no room for mercy and work needed to be done, his fingers itched for a blade and his heart set to beating a steady rhythm. If there was ever a reason to resort to blood, this was it, and he was relieved for it. "In the storm, it will be impossible to track them. Their footprints will be covered over with the fresh snow. I've no more taste for waiting than you, so we go deeper." He turned to Juin, "No poison, too gentle, I want to see them die and know I killed them. Come."

And he led his three off deeper into the caves, one thirsty for vengeance, and he was all the ready to give it to him.

The Khajiit known as Zaveed was the first to leave, and with a short bow to the others, Gelina made her way towards the door as well. She stretched out in the icy air, her heritage at the very least giving the biting cold a reinvigorating effect for the first few minutes of exposure. She had nearly everything she needed, but the general store called to her--perhaps she could get a souvenir, or--oh! I need a whetstone, don't I? She shook her head at her foolishness, and braved the wind blasting between the buildings to reach the shop.

The College loomed beyond, close enough to touch, nearly. She pushed the front door open, hoping it was late enough in the morning that the shopkeeper wouldn't rush her out before they could open. A woman stood behind the counter, leaning against it heavily, overtaken by clear fatigue. She straightened up self-consciously as Gelina approached. "We're out of stamina potions too, sorry," the shopkeeper said automatically, noting Gelina's equally tired eyes.

"Oh, I don't want any potions," she replied with a reassuring smile, holding her palms up as if in surrender. "I'd just like a whetstone and some oil, please."

The woman nodded, yawning as she hunched below the counter to retrieve the items and set them on the counter. Her eyes were barely open as she said, "That'll be eight Septims."

Gelina pawed through her coinpurse, counting out the gold and pouring it into the shopkeeper's waiting palm. She checked the coins over briefly, before staring emptily at Gelina and nodding. "Need anything else?"

"No, that--" Gelina stopped herself when she saw the look shift in the woman's eyes, like a rabbit that realized it was being stalked. She held her breath, and realized the constant din outside had ceased moments ago, leaving the two of them in disconcerting silence. "…What's wrong?" She whispered shakily.

The woman only answered by rushing around the counter and grabbing Gelina's elbow, crying, "Oh, Shor, protect us! Hurry, we must hide!"

Gelina wasn't about to scurry into some hole where she could be found all the same and with nowhere to go, and so with a movement like water skirting wax she sidestepped the woman and slinked backward towards the door. "W-wait! What's going on? Why must we hide?" She flinched from the door and screamed when a roar, unlike anything she'd ever heard, shook the entirety of the town like a quake. Soon after came a man's dying screams, sounds she wished she could only relive in her nightmares. She dared to open the front door a crack, ignoring the scrambling merchant who huddled behind a stack of barrels and prayed in whimpers.

"--and the sight Brother Marcus took in changed him forever! Deep in the basement, rising from the shadows, came a Daedra he'd never seen in all his studies. It had a great many horns and claws, and it boasted a thousand sharp fangs, so huge they could not all fit in its mouth!" Papa clasped his fingers together like interlocked teeth and placed them in front of his mouth, snarling and growling, hobbling towards and paying special attention to Ma, much to her annoyance.

She swatted at him playfully, getting him to step back towards the campfire. "Away, foul beast! You're scaring Little Cat."

Gelina perked up from where she sat huddled behind Ma, pushing her lips out in a scowl. "I'm not scared! It's about a guy who finds gross stuff in his cellar, that's not scary."

Papa perched his hands on his hips. "Don't think it's scary, aye? What if I told you it was…true!" He shared a hearty laugh alongside the others when Gelina jumped, waving his hands to quiet them down as he continued the story. "Hundreds of years ago, looming doors to Oblivion opened up all across Tamriel. Men could go in, but only monsters came out. If only all scary stories could be fake, eh?"

A lump shot into Gelina's throat faster than if she'd simply swallowed a fistful of pebbles. An…abomination--that's all she could think to call it--was currently bashing in the roof of the inn, letting out grunts and shrieks that echoed for miles in every direction. There were monsters, minotaur with great big heads and werewolves with fingers the length of daggers, but this monstrosity could be nothing less than an affront to the design of the Divines. Seemingly rescinding its decision to crawl in through the roof, it scraped and bashed itself against the door, its blood-caked form hungering.

The inn couldn't be empty of people! And Zaveed! He wanted a room, he could be inside! Blindly, and casting the pleading screams of the shopkeeper behind, Gelina sprinted across the way just as the beast lumbered inside and set to crunching and tearing. She closed the gap between herself and the inn in bounds, but saw no safe way to fend the creature off through the door. The roof! Gritting her teeth, holding back snarls of her own, Gelina shoved her fingertips into the grooves of the pillars leading to the roof, soon finding a strong enough grip on the arch above the porch steps to fling herself atop piles of straw. The hole sat, foreboding and filled with screams, mere feet away, and before she leapt inside, she drew her sword and dagger, holding them in such a way as to stab down atop the creature.

"Praise Dibella!" She screamed, plunging into the fray.

A plan had been made as they trekked through the snow and ice of Skyrim. The wind kicking up and howling, throwing snow and air so cold it felt like tiny blades dancing across your skin. He remembered the feeling of Northern Skyrim, how the climate changed so drastically. It almost felt comforting to him, being in a familiar place, the last place he had been when he served the Empire. Skingrad had been growing on him, he felt a little soft and like he couldn't handle the cold anymore. Not with Skingrad's warm temperatures and normal bright sunny days. The taste of aged wine danced on his tongue, the taste was only the ghost of its former self but he could almost taste it once more. His mind continued to drift, forgetting about the painted Argonian that was singing a song, and the howling winds. Viryn finally had his life back, one where he could spend time with his Wife and Son. Be there for them and make sure his boy turned into a fine young man, but here he was. The Empire, or Quaestor Maricus, asked the Veteran for help on this endeavor and the sense of duty of preserving the Empire burned greatly inside of Viryn. He agreed, without so much of a thought on how his Wife would feel. His love for her was true and strong, but she could not understand his sense of duty to the Empire.

He was pulled from his thoughts when the group began to devise a plan on entering the cavern. He had no input, as it was a simple and basic plan of letting the Khajit and Dunmer in. They weren't as heavily armored as Paints and Viryn, and they both seemed to be light on their feet. Now Viryn stood near the entrance along with Paints, but he did not speak to the Argonian. His mind drifted back to his Family, imagining how furious his Wife would be when he returned and listen to her scold his ear off about how his Son may have done something stupid while he was away. "Do not worry about him Viryn, he is a man now. I joined the Legion when I was his age. He will be fine." Viryn thought to himself, almost creating an entire scenario in his head without even realizing that the Khajit, Knife, came back and ushered them inside. It wasn't until the clanking of Paints boots ringing off the walls of the cavern that Viryn noticed that it was clear and safe to enter.

Clearing his throat, he followed in behind, right hand on the hilt of his weapon. Left hand placed on the scabbard to keep it steady. They said that it was safe to enter, but something could be lurking in the dark, hidden away from sight and ready to attack when their guard is lowered. Fighting in a cave is something Viryn never wanted to do, tight quarters and darkness.

"Here. I found a child."

Those dreaded words were finally spoken. Maybe Viryn was too pessimistic, but he always had the feeling that those children were dead ever since they had been abducted. Holding onto hope and faith that they would be alive and well. Well, that sounded too good to ever be true. Anger did not run through Viryn's blood, nor vengeance. Justice was needed, a proper burial for what was left of the children was needed. There could be no anger from Viryn. He couldn't save the children, he wasn't there when they were abducted, but maybe if he had the chance. Maybe he would feel something. Instead he felt dread, dread in that families lost their children and how he couldn't imagine what it would be like if this was his own Son.

"Knife has a point. The storm is picking up, and the snow is too heavy. Our own tracks will be covered within the hour and finding whoever's tracks that did this. Would be nearly impossible this far North." He faced reality. The snow was heavy up in Northern Skyrim, and it always seemed so constant. It would end when it wants and it would kick back up again with no telling. "We now have the chance to ambush, and one up our foe." Viryn turned from facing the entrance and knelt down beside one of the burlap sacks. Whatever was doing this needed children.

"No poison, too gentle, I want to see them die and know I killed them. Come." Did Knife believe that the creature was deeper in the cavern? Pushing himself off the ground, he stood up straight and readjusted himself and weapon. He followed the Khajit, wondering what his group had in mind. "You said you have fought evil like this before. Tell me then, what is doing this?" He asked. He needed to talk more, and open up to his group. Trust only came from those that exhibited trust.

With that, he delved deeper into the cavern with the group.

Madanach's words dripped like honey in the young Breton's ears. No, not Breton. Reachman. He'd have to get used to that. "The Nords think us all but dead. Gone the way of the dragons." The King in Rags gloated as he marched before the gathered miners. "Well I'm here to tell my my boy, the Old Magicks yet live. Fonts of primal energies untouched by Man, he who is too stupid, and untainted by Mer, he who is too proud." Madanach stopped before the new initiate. "Fonts of power festering beneath our very feet just waiting for someone strong enough to tame them. We are that someone, my boy. We are the Chosen of Nirn, master of man and beast alike. Monsters. Abominations. Terrors birthed of Mother Namirid and Father Ircyne, they are our kin, Markain. They are our legacy."

Markain stood with his thoughts in the Nord Jarl's longhouse, Madanach's words echoing his own fury towards the damnable town of Winterhold. How he longed to be rid of it forever, to join this little expedition to the mountains and then on to whatever sunsoaked lands these outsiders called home. A place he could study the Old Ways away from the prying eyes of the Aracaneum's resident ogre-gro-bookmark and the town's constant illwill towards magic all together. Maybe he'd return to Markarth, see how the Silver-bloods were holding up without his father and he's slave labour. Maybe he'd-

Markain's blood froze as he heard the beast's roar not a hundred feet away. Not out of fear or unfamiliarity but out of concern. This was the second time in as many months Grendel besieged the town. It was simple enough to convince the College it wasn't their problem and the townsguard had been lucky to run him off in their sleepless state but this time was different. These...Outlanders were different...

Turning his gaze from the door before him to the shocked looking Khajiit at his side, Markain pulled a large coil of his rope and tossed it toward the youth. Without waiting to see if Ja'k followed, Markain sprinted toward the sound, shouting to be heard over the ruckus.

Archer, you're with me! Peg this rope to his hide, I'll need a way up!

Killing is easy. Juin held a two blades sharp enough to pierce leather and skin alike, but neither metal nor magick stood the tool to ending a being. The labour required to craft a blade or spell added flash and efficiency to the work. At the core lie a simpler way. A very basic tool with which nearly all beings are born. To end one must be. This was the only requirement Juin knew of. Quaking mountains might loose a stone and smash a skull. An offended dunmer might mix a few roots that drunk melt guts. Regardless, nothingness cannot kill. Anything else is philosophy. The dunmer knew that given the worst possible circumstances even the best amongst the expedition could kill a child. For the greater good, for their own life, or for whatever reason stirred heart and blurred mind, one can and will kill. Whatever things lived beneath the earth made such grim imaginings their work. Bones and ashes kept in sacks. Children routinely missing from the nearby community. Once one does away with the philosophy, killing is easy. However, without philosophy, only a monster truly exists.

"Nevermind the poison then," Juin lowered his hand from his satchel and drew his short sword. He lay his free hand across the broad side of the blade, then looked to Viryn who seemed curious.

"You said you have fought evil like this before. Tell me then, what is doing this?" Inquired the veteran. While the question seemed sincere, Juin wondered another matter concerned the old legionnaire.

Before the group entered the next set of caverns, Juin responded quickly and in a low voice. "We sought refuge along the way to Windhelm after an ambush. The cave turned out less than hospitable and we fought off men seemingly already dead. Lithe, lean, yet strong and without a concern for pain or remorse. We only narrowly bested them and know only that such a scourge was no surprise to our Lady Snow."

Juin pointed his blade forward, the edge higher than his own head. "Tallest one. Shortest a little below me. Various builds, all strong. Our best success came from magick, but I'd wager removing a limb might slow them as well. Do not treat them as you would a standard foe."

"I am no mage, but it one needn't be to guess the markings, bones, and ash are part of some ritual. We should hope those creatures from before are the worst of it all," the dunmer mused quietly as the group continued into the caverns. He held his sword low, yet ready to strike. Should the strange bastards appear again he would not be taken by surprise. Juin looked on into the darkness with hungry eyes and caught up with Sevari near the front.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Juin has the right of it. Rituals." Sevari said, noticing the growing darkness around them. It seemed to wrap them up within a few moments and his eyes had trouble adjusting. That was the problem with having no light to magnify. There was always the moon or a candle to make the world bright for him but in a cave, there was nothing. "In High Rock, the Witch-Men live in the hills and are just as feared by travelers as the Orc bands. Tales of travelers, and yes, even missing village children tell of the Reachmen coming down from the Druadach mountains to snatch unwitting people. They're never seen again. The only problem is we're far from the Reach here. Either way, quiet down."

Their group walked in silence for a few long minutes before Sevari caught a pin prick of light down the passageway. He followed it, being the only sign of life around. He lay a hand on the cuirasses of Viryn and Paints, telling them to stay, "You will follow with your vengeance soon enough, Color'd One." He turned back to Juin and patted him on the shoulder, nudging a bit, telling him to come with as his naturally quiet footfalls made deathly silent by the further muffling of his spell brought him closer to the pin prick of light. It grew for a few moments before Sevari noticed it was not the entrance to another room in the caverns, but just a point of light. Around them, the rock walls faded away to nothingness and the point of light grew to a blinding thing, lighting the entire area of the large grand room they were in. "Fucking illusion magicks!"

The sound of a chittering and clicking became apparent as the calls of men speaking some language Sevari had never heard before echoed across the chamber. Stalagmites and stalactites jutted up from the ground and reached down from the ceiling, casting long shadows across the grand room. From one shadow to the next, Sevari saw what looked like white goblins dashing to and fro, chitin wrapped around them like some poor excuse for armor. He caught sight of a masked man sink back into the shadows just as his eye caught him and he furrowed his brows at that. No doubt he was behind the illusion magicks. He wanted him alive, to bring him back and butcher him, but he pushed that anger away. He'd need a clear mind in this fight. The sound of arrows buzzing past caused Sevari to instinctually dive to a group of stalagmites for cover, scolding himself in his mind for being taken by surprise like this. He shed his cloak with deft fingers and left his hat with it to keep his enemies from grabbing onto them, muttering curses about this or that as he did it, anger welling up and his fingers now aching for a blade. He peaked around the stalagmites to try to catch any sign of movement and jumped back in time to avoid having his head split open by an axe, bits of stone stinging his face. He drew his dagger and waited for his enemy to come around the stalagmites. He saw a white leg come around his little wall and slashed out at the ankle, buckling the thing's leg and making it go down on one knee as he leapt onto it. He slid his dagger between its ribs, puncturing a lung and as he left it gasping for air and coughing up blood, he finally had a look at it. It was like a goblin, except folds of skin wrapped black eyes staring out at him. He was interrupted by the sounds of footsteps behind him. Long ears like those of elves came out of the side of its head and blackened, yellow teeth stood jagged in its mouth, growling, yelling at him in some language.

He turned in time to roll away from the tip of a chitinous blade. Instead of piercing him, it put the thing's twin out of its misery with a squawk. This one looked the same as the other, black eyes, pale skin and an ugly hunched posture. Before the thing could pull its blade out of its friend, Sevari dove for it, tackling it to the ground, both of them growling and hissing in the other's face. He raised his dagger but the thrust was caught in one of its hands. Another hand began to push at his face and Sevari grew enraged, snarling and growling. He bit down on a finger and tasted blood, he laughed at the squeal it brought from the thing. His eyes wide with fury, he jerked his head this way and that until the finger snapped off. The finger still in his red, dripping mouth, he spat the thing back in its owners screaming face. His face was a red mask, chin and mouth dribbling blood.

"You're all fucking dead!" He snarled and brought his forehead down in its face hard and wrenched his wrist out of the thing's weakened grip. The tip of his dagger split its black eye and lodged itself in there, the thing still screaming and clawing at its face. Sevari growled and took it by its long ears and brought its head up and back down onto the stone ground underneath until the cracks of bone were heard. He dove to another wall of stalagmites, eyes hunting for the masked man, itching to kill him and every one of the things in the cavern.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Nice Execution!
Paints was the warmest he'd ever been since crossing Skyrim's border. The heat was in his blood, in his head; he could feel it pushing through his teeth with every hissing breath, like drafts from a fire. His scales itched with it. For a second, it was overpowering, a force that consumed him. It was everything, and it was...red. In his mind's eye, he peered through that crimson haze that descended over his vision, and he saw Oren, and Drander, and the lecher Montifus Greensbreath. All the men he'd killed in anger, or wished he'd had. And now to that collection of faces, two shadowy figures were added. He didn't know who they were, or what they looked like. But soon enough, he promised himself, his fingers stretching above the pommel of his blade.

And yet, another face from his past, a voice that spoke with quiet regret.

"You always were too emotional," Castus said, swiveling his gaze from the swamplands beyond to meet Jarun-Ei's eyes. They were on the top of the Irongate Arena, atop the highest wooden stand where the walls fell away and the world threw itself out to meet the horizon. The wind is from the north, carrying an unusual dry heat that washes over them in waves...but it is not a red heat. It's grey, and thick with ashes. It's what Jarun-Ei imagined a snowstorm must look like, but when those flecks of grey drifted against his strained teeth the taste was only of smoke and grit. "I should have seen that. Should have realized before I started teaching you." The ashes were dashing themselves to death against their armor, seeking gaps like moths seek flame. Some blew their way into Jarun-Ei's eyes, filled them up with grey. He tells himself they're the cause of the irritation there, the moisture gathering in the corners.

"You're drunk," he accused, spitting the words over the wall with a half-laugh.

"No." Castus was stony-faced, unflinching. The ashes gathered in his hair, grey on grey. "No. Finally I'm seeing things clearly."

The red is tampered, muted and dulled. Paints felt the heat ebb from his body, if only slightly. As his mind cleared, he managed to catch the recommendations of his companions. They were right, of course. Impossible to track two strangers through a snowstorm in unfamiliar country, and perhaps useless in the end. They needed to find the root of the problem, dig the evil out from its source. "Forgive me," he said, his tone marginally lighter as he turned back to the group. "I did not mean to let my anger cloud my judgement." Still, his teeth were tense, and his tail lashed slightly, as if to shake out the rest of his restless energy. "I appreciate the wisdom in that plan, Juin, but I agree with Knife. These cretins will die, and when they do, I'll see it done myself." He nodded towards the darker tunnel, eager to be moving. "Deeper, then. May the Gods be good and grant us what we seek"

The tunnel wound far, until once again Paints and Viryn were left behind to await their companions' signal. This time, though, they did not have to wait long; there was a sudden burst of light, bright enough to illuminate the entirety of the open cavern beyond. Paints heard Sevari yell, an echo that was lost among a sudden chorus of snarls. Not the signal he had been expecting, but one that worked. He was through the remainder of the tunnel and into the cavern in seconds.

The first form to meet him was neither Sevari or Juin, nor one of the expressionless abominations he'd half-been expecting. It was a squat thing, a pale and wiry creature hunched so far forward that Paints first beleived it to be four-legged...until it snarled at him, and thrust a strangely shaped blade up towards his midsection. Paints was still moving forward. With a swing of his left arm, the blade was thrown away by the side of his buckler. Another step forward, and a swing from his right brought his scimitar down and into the flesh of the creature's neck. Grey flesh parted, succumbing to a sudden fountain of red.

The thing fell, but a quick survey of the room revealed that it was one of many, and that the others were closing in. Paint's eye caught on one in the back, a creature with a strangely large headdress. Unlike the others of its kind, it did not rush forward with crude weapon and viscious intent. Rather, it was raising its arms, tendrils of shining white wisping away from its fingertips. Paints could recognize magic when he saw it. He followed the creature's line of sight, identifying the thing's intended target. With a hiss, he rushed forward, moving to intercept. He found Juin in the process of extracting his blade from the belly of one of their attackers. Shouting a warning, Paints reached one claw to grasp at the Elf's shoulder and shift him to the side, the other stretching outwards in a flash of light. The magical ward exploded outward from his palm, just in time to catch the shards of ice that the mage had hurled in their direction. The thing snarled upon seeing its attack fail, and began to shuffle closer along with the other goblin-like monsters. They were coming in from every side, shifting forms from the shadows.

Paints drew his blade up, moving his back to Juin's. He glanced over his shoulder at the Dunmer, a tiny trace of a grin finally reappearing on his muzzle. "Collaboration!"

Clattering and clanging echoed throughout the cavern. Like a war drum, the rhythmic sound cast a dozen shadows against the stone walls and countless more sickly pale figures around the party. Juin prepared himself. He widened his stance, short sword raised as he strained his eyes to catch each figure surrounding them. Experience taught him that a strong ambush was part surprise, part confusion. A dozen shadows, he thought to himself, or perhaps an illusion like the light. He attempted to count their enemy, to secure some sense of certainty, before a sharp wisp of air passed by his ear.

"You're all fucking dead!" Sevari cried out, not a threat, but an announcement.

Juin watched as the khajit stabbed and smashed the pale-skinned creatures. Each movement came heavy and deliberate with an unbridled fury dangerous if left to burn alone. The dunmer admired his comrade's kills, but failed to recognize just why Sevari dove behind some nearby stalagmites. He felt the hair on the nape of his neck standing on edge before the whistle of metal and wood passed close. His ear stung, then his shoulder. Juin dropped to a knee and swung his blade in a wide arc. The swing sent a spine of pain through his chest, yet also caught the rib of one emboldened pale creature. The thing moved fell to the stone floor with a gash and loose meat hanging from off curve of its rib. Despite the blow, the creature regained its footing. This was not their first encounter, however. Juin greeted the beast with thrust of his shortsword, skewering upward through the belly and into its neck. Holding it close, the dunmer saw the wooden shaft protruding from his chest. A shallow hit

The goblin-like creature slid off from the dunmer's blade leaving his vambraces slick with warm blood. He felt a heat building beneath his leather cuirass and he'd no doubt the arrow's tip pierced flesh. Teeth grit, Juin pulled the arrow out from His vision narrowed on the glistening leather. He could smell the sweet metal notes and felt a stirring deep inside. He was no longer within himself, but somewhere far and deep and dark. Somewhere wrong, or perhaps just different. Askew. The smell of blood remained, only soaked into the stone. This was not the cavern. He looked about, but Sevari was no longer to be found. Nor were the goblins, for that matter. Instead figures cast in shadow with dimly lit eyes of scarlet hovering in the darkness surrounded him. One, large with great horns emerging from its shoulders stepped forward. No light shined on its face, but Juin felt it was preparing to speak. He heard only one word, "Juinarto."

Juin heard a muffled shout before stumbling backward. His shoulder sunk under the weight of Paints' claw, twisting the dunmer as a light flashed. The dunmer took a knee. He heard a distant crack, his eyes on the cavern floor as spears of ice broke against the stone. The uniquely wretched sound of the creatures' feet slapping against the stone stirred the dunmer. Every step seemed a vibration, as if standing within a bubble with all the world around. He looked to the argonian, whose hand still steamed with wisps of light, and took a breath.

Paints grinned as the dunmer returned to his feet. "Collaboration!" The word seemed distant. Juin stumbled in place with his back pressed against the argonian's despite the building pressure drifting from his chest into his arm. Was the arrow poison? Not quite pain, yet uncomfortable still, the pressure moved, pulsating as it trickled through the bones of his wrist. Something else? What else could it be? His hand was burning.

"Help," Juin gasped as he turned to Paints with his hand raised. Red light burst from his palm and fingers and wrapped around the argonian. A moment of shock froze the dunmer until movement elsewhere caught his attention. Juin recoiled, tightening his hand into a fist as a pale creature lunged toward. His hand ached, the heat balled behind the flesh of his palm. No time to plan. No chance to evade.

The dunmer scowled and reached out toward the goblin with his burning hand forward. Crimson illuminated the creature, at first confusing it, then causing it to twitch and slow. Juin caught the creature with his open hand, the back a muddled red when pressed against it, and swung the shortsword with his other. Ugly as it was, he felt little remorse watching the head hang by what muscle resisted the strike.

His heart beat fast, but the pressure disappeared. Juin touched pressed a finger against the hole in his cuirass, but felt little more than a tender muscle. No fresh blood either. Curious, he glanced back to Paints. What to say when you know not what you've done -- he'd ponder that later. For now, Juin suspected that would not be the last beheading.

• Love
Reactions: Mosis Tosis
As other people joined in conversation in the longhouse wit Zaveed, Ja'Kiefer slowly faded from the scene, and used this as a way to actually slink back out to Winterhold, and see what the rest of the town was doing. It was as sleepy as usual. But then again, most of Skyrim lays vast, empty, and dead. It's scary to think that this was the place he chose to be instead of the lively Cyrodil.

Now what has he amounted to? He was isolated from what was happening to the town until just today, and when the chance was given to finally go on a one-time adventure out of this place, he was laughed at, being all young and squishy in comparison to all these battle-hardened veterans. Ugh, why am I the new blood of the group? I'm sure there was someone else who's primary concern wasn't adventuring as well! He kicked up some snow, and sat outside a building, staring at the ground. Things got cold fast out here, so he decided to move his sulking on inside, where at least some warmth could be found.

It was more lively in here than it was in the town. He smirked at Zaveed as he tried to bargain for a room, and decided it would be best to hold up in here until the snowing died down a bit before heading back out to finish up work, goodness knows how angry that farmer guy is. He would have to wait just a tad bit more, since Ja's getting quite a bit of downtime for today. He hasn't taken a work break since who knows when!

but alas, after around ten minutes of downtime, the whole building froze, almost all at once. Then they started to huddle away from the door, Ja 'Kiefer included. And only watched in horror as what could only be described as your insides clad in a pale white. That thing could kill with it's looks. That, in itself, is enough reason to slaughter that thing. But yet, it's looks froze him in complete fear, mainly because of what it's doing to the lone fighter against it. It then charged for Zaveed, whom Ja 'Kiefer only just met. He can't just stand there. In the least, he can prove he had confidence. He stood up, took out his bow, pulled out an arrow, aimed for the head, and let it loose, hoping in the least it would deter the attention of the creature away from Zaveed. Gelina also joined the battle, which is also good, the more people we have, the better the chance of winning is.

Status
Not open for further replies.