The Elder Scrolls: Resurgence of the Frost - IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I suspect you would have preferred a spot amongst my old crew, there was a companionship to be found there, even if you had to prove yourself to be included in it. Death was common amongst the waves, but it was at least respected. You live, fight, fuck, and drink with the man or woman next to you for long enough and they become family."

Sevari smiled a little at the other Khajiit's readiness to assume that others of their kind took to the sea as readily as he. It was not common to find Khajiit on the waves, no, but Sevari had spent time on a boat once. Spent enough time watching his food escape over the side of the ship in sickly stomach fluid to ever want to do it again. He got all the swaying mode of transportation he'd want or be able to handle from his horse. "A brotherhood. We had one, of sorts." Sevari remembered now, all those bastards and brutes.

Sevari nodded when Zaveed spoke of Teralfar and his deal he was given. He didn't want to die wondering what it was for, wondering why he died for a satchel that he knew not what it held. He'd survived so long only to die for a mystery. No, that didn't seem right at all. "Sevari would not be against lifting the mystery from what we have been carrying. I am not in the business of dying for nothing."

"What could have possibly enticed you to stay in a shitpot like Skyrim when there's much more beautiful places that don't threaten to contact freeze your piss?" Zaveed asked before his eyes strayed to the attractive server-girl.

Sevari was quiet for a bit, the question answered by memory first before he spoke it out loud. His brothers, his tutors, the faces of those he killed, those he killed with and those he killed for. A hundred moments in time drew him away with the lithe fingers of a lover beckoning one to soft sheets and softer pleasures, and he remembered Sorosi, his Dunmer girl too, before the memories turned sharp again. He lifted his eyes from the floor and cleared his throat, forcing a small smile that went as quick as it came, "Sevari was born in Bruma, so your accent is just as wrong as mine. I have spent more time with more Bretons and Nords than Khajiit. If I were to go back now, This One would be as lost as an altmer in Black Marsh. I remember our caravan spent time in Skyrim before my eldest brother carried me and the others off one night without any reason. I learned later it was because our father did not want us anymore. I believed it, because why else would we leave?" He took a long drink and signaled the server-girl to give him another cup, when she returned with it he continued, "I learned how to pluck a man's coinpurse from his hip when we would sneak into the cities at night. We were chased out of a fair few places and when we'd worn out our welcome, we went to High Rock. I learned my trade there, handy with a knife and a deft hand. A good duelist too, better in real fights, but duels, good enough."

Sevari watched Juin enter the tavern and shortly after the Colour'd Argonian and a robed Breton. Tall, for a Breton, Sevari thought. "My brothers and I fought for the blue banner rather than the red one this past war. We stayed because we couldn't find a way out among the Imperials. Teralfar found us in the Nightgate Inn and I was voted to be the one to carry out whatever task he wanted us to so he could help us in return. I doubt my brothers would stay at the Nightgate, the old band is scattered, Sevari is sparse in friends and in the world we come from, you may as well slice your own friendless throat."

Sevari gulped down a mouthful of mead and wiped his mouth on his sleeve, admiring the scar on his hand, flexing the stiff muscles of it in a closed fist. He'd need this to heal. "We are many miles from Elsweyr, what have you done to warrant selling yourself to Teralfar as I have? Siblings?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Viryn's War Journal
9 Last Seed, 4E208

All I see is snow, trees, and the occasional wolf now and again. My men are growing tired of being out here. Skyrim is not our home, we do not know the terrain, chokepoints, or anything about this land. Damn Nords. They couldn't give up Talos, and because of this we are wasting resources on a War that is not needed. We could be saving up and if the Nords have the gall to stand up to the Empire then what is going to stop the other Provinces from stepping up. I don't know what to write anymore, this past month has been nothing but snow, tired men, and more orders from General Tullius to find any Stormcloak base and destroy it.

That is it for today.

12 Last Seed, 4E208

We encountered a Stormcloak scouting party, a total of three scouts unless we missed one. They must of gotten wind that some Imperial Forces were out near Winterhold and decided to check it out. We need to move camp. If those scouts do not show back up, they will know. If we free them, then the Stormcloaks will know. We need to move.

That is it for today.

ProductPageDivider.png

The leather clad journal was shut, an elderly gentleman above it. Viryn rubbed his eyes, his ale had hardly been touched. Blame his mother, but he did prefer a good wine over ale and mead. Maybe that was just the rich heritage speaking for him, never having to taste ale until his service in the Legion. Viryn's black and gray peppered hair was beginning to grow, and it might just grow out that he no longer needed to get it cut to shove underneath a helmet. The Frozen Hearth was beginning to grow packed with visitors it seemed like, he could tell by the hushed whispers of the locals and gazes. He remembered when he first arrived to Winterhold to pay his respects to the battle that ensued during the Stormcloaks Rebellion. His original purpose was to travel to Windhelm on the day of the attack, the siege that would take on Windhelm, but he and his troops never showed. They had rather unfortunate luck as they were held up due to a blizzard. Once the damn snow storm settled, they were ambushed by Stormcloaks who were waiting just for him. Even if Viryn died that day, the Stormcloaks would of taken that as a small victory to kill a Tribue. Now Ex-Tribune. Winterhold had problems, talk of children disappearing, the College being blamed. Viryn couldn't keep his nose out of the affair, he decided to learn as much as he could while visiting Winterhold. He had a new mission, try and help Winterhold before he left home for Skingrad. Ah, Skingrad, what a lovely place to live. Warm summers, gentle breezes, and good people lived there.

Here Viryn was, up so far North, in the snow. The flurries that were always happening, you couldn't tell North from South and East from West unless you could somehow pinpoint the road and follow it out. Maybe a native could easily walk through this, but not Viryn. Why he left the warmth and comfort of his estate in Skingrad is now beginnign to creep up on him. He was growing old, his glory days fading. He wasn't the soldier he once was and he would have to accept that.

Latching the leather journal closed, and made sure it stayed closed. The edges of the parchment beginning to frill and crumble from the ages and use. His quill and ink sitting safely inside his satchel in case he had something important to write down in a third journal. He always wrote down information in these Journals, mainly during his day as a Legionnare and Tribune. He wanted to read, to remember everything that had happened, and maybe one day he would let his son read the Journals. I plan on living long enough to fill up all three Julius. Viryn was silent, and kept to himself. All the locals, and travelers, he didn't know a single one of them. He also did not plan on staying long, so befriending someone seemed impractical.

He turned his head, glancing at the new faces that had entered Frozen Hearth. Two Khajits, a Dunmer, an Argonian, a Breton. Those were the ones he could spot, his eyes glancing along once more before going back to the Dunmer. The Dunmer looked surprisingly familiar, could it be someone he fought along side. Maybe they just met on his travels. Viryn could not tell who the man was, only that he could recognize his face. Viryn stood, his steel armor shifting without making much noise, the fur lining making sure that the armored pieces did not connect with one another in a nasty metal, clang and screech. His sword laid on the table, his hands reaching out and grabbing it by the scabbard, his muscles had memorized the repetitive motion of strapping the sword in place around his waist, making sure it was tight and snug, but not too tight. Lastly, he grabbed his satchel and moved over to the table that the Dunmer and the Argonian sat at. Viryn came in just to hear the Argonian asking about evil, and if the Dunmer believed in it. "Do you two mind if I rested here for a moment?" Viryn's voice was stern, almost commanding. He wasn't a Tribune anymore, and when speaking to others he had to remember that, and stop adding that 'authority' in his voice.

Now that Viryn was closer to the Dunmer, his pale blue eyes scanning over the Dunmers face. "Apologies for interrupting this conversation, but you seem rather familiar. I haven't seen a familiar face in Skyrim for a few weeks now, but yours. I recognize." It seemed awkward to just approach someone, but Viryn was aging and he didn't have his entire life to ponder over the question of 'Who was that Dunmer'.

Markian slid through the creaking door of Frozen Hearth amid the strangers, the close proximity and roaring fire of the tavern a reprieve of the frosted steps he'd left in the snow outside. He eyed them as he waded quickly to a darkened corner of the hall. Distracted as they may be, Markain was in no hurry for the drunken locals to spot his robes and riot once more. As he sat quietly down in a corner booth, vacant no doubt to its distance from the welcoming fires and barmaids, he measured the newcomers to Winterhold.

They huddled together in secret meetings and came apart at the seams, a mass not quite sure where it rested among the other aspects of itself. A queer brood though perhaps that was simply a product of the diversity among them. They were indeed a colorful bunch, some literally so, and not the kind Markain figured for Auxiliaries or Guards the Jarl would have at beck and call. Perhaps they weren't here about the disappearances? If not that then what were they doing here? It was certainly possible the storm simply drove them but in all the tales Markain had delved he'd never before heard of Elves, Khajiit and Argonians riding alongside Legionaires. No, there was certainly more to this, if only he could keep his blasted eyes open to see it.

Against his better judgement, Markain quickly motioned to the barmaid as she left the Khajiit's table. Something strong if you please, I seem to have left a bit of myself in bed. He smiled as politely as he could muster in his weary state, no need to give cause where there is none, and she soon returned with a stout bottle of black liquid. With a smile, Markain relinquiched his last few septims and sunk back into the booth.

They'd paired off again, the lizard and the Dunmer approached by a legioneer by the looks of it though older. Maybe a commander? The cats still mewed among themselves in hushed tones and melodic whispers though these two did not possess the singsong accent of the caravans that traveled Skyrim. All curious thoughts that would need drowning he figured as Markain lifted the cork and placed his thumb between his teeth. With a silent offering and a swift grazing of his pronounced canines, Markian placed his thumb against the rim of the bottle as crimson met black ichor, a drink shared with the Old Gods.

Zaveed nodded from behind the bottle, acclimatizing to the bitterness of his beverage. "Agreed. Besides, if it's just the two of us, no one is going to be around to object to us snooping. In fact, it would be a favour to our mutual friend, since we can't possibly bugger up something we can plan for." He said with a grin. "I had you picked for somewhere in Cyrodiil, but Bruma? A bit of a surprise, to be honest. Does that place still have that old statue of the Hero of Kvatch? The Imperials love their bloody statues, although I wouldn't mind if somebody made one of me, although I'm certain they'd get everything wrong about it." Zaveed laughed, shifting sideways on the bench to look upon the crowd a bit more closely, elbow resting on table to support his jaw with a closed fist.

"Sorry about your shitty father, my friend. I don't really remember my father, or mother, or brothers, for that matter. Unforeseen circumstances made me the man I am today, family devoid and surprisingly cosmopolitan. Closest thing I had to a father figure was an aging Breton man who liked books more than battle axes, and an orc who commanded a helm like he owned the seas. I rather admired both of them, in a way. It was good to have a role model to aspire to be, because forced servitude and being the one without a weapon was a rather miserable existence. I pretty much spent my life going up and down the Western coast and learning my skills in a rather hands on manner. This being one of them." He lifted the bottle once more, regarding it for a moment before putting it down. "You strike me more as a bit of a brute more so than someone with a more subtle approach to things, so imagine my surprise when I find out you got your start taking things that aren't yours without people noticing. I'm impressed, also congratulations on owning up to the stereotype of our people." Zaveed said with a wink.

His gaze followed Sevari's towards the hideously colourblind argonian and the sickly-looking vampire who were to be their companions. Sevari's admission of having worked with the Stormcloaks gave Zaveed pause. He blinked at his companion before letting out a small, surprised laugh. "Really? No, surely you jest." Their gaze was locked for a moment. "Okay, you don't know how to joke. But really? You served the Stormcloaks, the bootlicking cunts who like to remind us that we'd be better décor or armour lining than people? What an insane world we live in where they become more attractive than the other guys. But to answer your inquiry, it's less selling and more responding to blackmail in the appropriate means. I'll spare you the fine details, but while my crew served the Dominion in a rather hush hush, non-sanctioned manner that is much more appealing than sanctioning privateers because if we did something naughty, it can't be considered an act of war because we officially have no allegiance to anybody. Because of that regrettable position, it also technically makes people like me rather unsavoury for everyone involved, and because I'm likely the only survivor from my old crew, Telafar didn't have to twist my arm a lot to get me to agree to freezing my ass off for some elf bitch whose people's hide and seek skills would make any child green with envy. More or less, I do his little deed, and he doesn't end up having my name become a household name and posts a bounty on my head from each of the factions he happens to be working over with his charming brand of subterfuge. I admire the bastard, in a way. I do this, I don't get sold out, and I might get a ship on my own and never have to see fucking snow again. Honestly, he could have just said that without the idle threats." He looked at his nearing empty bottle and frowned, pushing it away with a few lazy fingers. "I may need to rearm myself. Would another drink help mend the bridge that we had seemingly torched before we even set out together? I'd rather not have to work with an associate who hates my guts on principle."

"The very same ones. It helped that Ulfric was getting his ass kicked from Riften to Winterhold. Fear and defeat make men desperate." Sevari downed the rest of his drink impressively fast, he figured it could serve as an adequate substitute for sugar for the night, "My brothers and I are snakes, through and through, but give us gold and point us in the right direction and whatever we are facing will not live to see another day. Such was life with our bandit gang. We were rich, and Ulfric was desperate, we took our chances with them because they were hiring. Military life was not something I ever wanted, too much regimen and I was used to being able to shiv the man who yelled at me." Sevari trailed off, remembering old nights by the fire with people who were too rough and down on their luck to be dishonest.

When Zaveed prodded at him about his life as a pickpocket and his brutishness, he only laughed, "We did what we needed to get what we wanted. Taking lives for coin made us rich, richer than the ones crying about us being dirty cats. Stereotypes sting less when they pay well, no?" Sevari eyed the emptiness of his pewter cup, "I am subtle when I need to be. Tell Sevari not to be seen and he will be quiet as the wind. I have also done my share of jobs that required a heavier hand and clearer message. If you think me the brute, you should lay eyes on my brother Jivami. I hurt people when they need to be hurt, he hurts them when he wants to end boredom. Anger twice my own was packed into him."

When Zaveed suggested more drink, Sevari lifted his empty pewter cup, "We'll mend whatever bridges need mending, perhaps when the night is over, our altmer friend will be good and remembered, and we can do whatever our mutual acquaintance needs of us." Sevari sniffed and nodded, "Principle? No, I just knew you used your words like I use a dish. It hides poison when you want it to, I respect that, like my brother, Suffian. But we bled together and killed together, even lived to tell the tale. On the roads, with my old band, that meant something. It still does to folk like me."

He signaled the barmaiden over to them and produced a small purse of septims, tucking them into the pocket of her apron, "We'll be needing bottles of your best drink," he spied the other patrons' lack of whispering among themselves, "Send a mead to the Breton at the bar, sitting alone, tell him the Cats want to talk about news."

She smiled and nodded, walking off to fulfill the request and Sevari looked back at Zaveed, "The Breton looks like he knows something. Our Argonian friend that wears rainbows talks to the Dunmer over there like he's learned something and it's gotten to him. We share a drink, mend bridges, and we find out what in Dagon's name makes passersby like our lot so interesting." Sevari leaned forward a bit and with his middle and index finger gestured to his eyes, "Call me brutish, but I lived as long as I have by reading men. As deep in the drink as we are now, I still feel something wrong. Have been since last night when we kept watch."

I share this blood with Mother Narimran, She who brings us knowledge.
I share this blood with Father Ircyrne, He who brings us victory.
I share this mead with Brother Stormcrown, He who has lost his way.
Let our family be rekindled in the fires of Old.

Markain's silent toast complete, his offering made, the Reachman quickly emptied his small, dark bottle; the liquid warming him from inside out and revitalizing his sleep-starved mind. His body and mind refreshed, Markain turned his gaze one more to the Khajiit only to find them staring back.

A moment of panic passed unheeded, interrupted by the same barmaid gingerly laying another tankard on Markain's table and gesturing toward the two outlanders. As he nodded a quick thanks to the maiden and rose to his feet, Markain cursed beneath his breath. I should never had tried to outsneak a Khajiit. As he collected his staff, Markain lifted his tankard to his impromptu benefactors and crossed the crowded tavern praying desperately not to catch the eye of a sullen and violent resident of this Void forsaken town.

Hail fellows, and welcome to our frozen paradise. I'd offer to take your coats but you two seem to be rather attached to them. With a wry smile he hunkered down near their table, not an empty chair to be had this near the life giving warmth of the central fire. Pray what brings you so far north? The hospitable locals? The enticing climate? The eclipsing sense of dread and despair? I admit we at the college have little influence on how the Jarl's Steward drums up tourism these days. If you ask me I'm beginning to think these Nords don't care much for us at all.

Markain was no stranger to assimilating quickly, it becomes par for the course when every citizen of Skyrim felt compelled to comment on his unusual height, unusual complexion, or his eyes. Always the eyes! And so it came to be Markain became accustomed to telling people what they wanted to hear. Nords liked bawdy jokes and snubs at royalty, Argonians and Dunmer preferred honorable affables, Altmer lapped up flattery and Khajiit had an inborn appreciation for snide. Bosmer were the odd ones out as they responded best to simply being allowed to sit in silence. Ambient nature Markain supposed.

But I forget my manners. Let me the first to extend a frigid olive branch to you and your motley crew, I am Markain Anuthian, college mage and freelance welcoming party. And you are?

A collaboration between Mosis Tosis, Pellegrino and Artorias

The Frozen Hearth buzzed with conversation and strong drink. Throughout the inn groups of locals rested from their day's labours, while others less accustomed to Winterhold's unique bite took refuge instead. Juin sat across from the painted argonian, Paints, happy for the warm, put off by the ale, but most of all taken aback by his comrade's question.

"Wait," Juin choked, repeating Paint's words in his mind and a devilish smile. "Children are being snatched away, but the drunkard with the child seemed a proper pairing to you?"

Paints answered Juin with a toothy grin of his own. "When I say he was a drunkard, I mean it. Reeling as much as he was, the child could have knocked him out cold with a single swing of his fist. Gods know the thought crossed my mind more than once..." His smile faded slowly. "No, the only thing that man endangers the town's mead supply, and nothing more. Whatever is truly responsible seems much more...exciting."

The dunmer only allowed the expression a moment. Unrepentant evil, a term he could have used decades prior. "Evil cares little about the inner-workings of those it'd bite -- only the blood."

Juin seemed a bit taken aback by Paints' question, but he answered it nonetheless. Paints nodded at the elf over his cup, satisfied. "Well said. I do not mean to trouble you with philosophical flights of fancy, I only ask to determine whether we stand on common ground. I warned the late ambassador that there was something dreadful brewing ahead of us, and he dismissed me as a superstitious fool. I hope now, after all that has happened-"

Before the conversation could deepen a figure approached. Rigid, yet flowing, like a retired dancer, the man paused beside the table. While Paints observed the man deeper, Juin's head cocked the moment he saw the face.

"Please do," the dunmer said, his voice quieter than intended. "Memory fails me, as well. Perhaps we can remember together. They call me Juin." He glanced to a seat and once more to Paints.

Viryn glanced between the two once more before taking the seat that was offered too him. The metal shifted, clanking against the worn wood, creaking as the weight shifted on the chair. Viryn leaned forward, elbows resting on the table as the Dunmer spoke his name. "Well, Juin. It is pleasure to meet you..." Once more? The Dunmer held familiar face, tone, and name that he once knew. So many soldiers served the Legion, and he had to keep track of many. Names, faces, words, they all blended together. Refreshing an old memory was not impossible, especially when he knew he had met this Dunmer somewhere or someplace before.

Viryn's eyes shifted from Juin to the Argonian that sat across from him. "I have the pleasure of being called Viryn Moslpus. I once served in the Fourth Legion of the Empire of Cyrodiil." He spoke slowly and concisely. Bringing his hands up from the table, his elbows still resting on the hard wood. He interlocked his fingers together, rubbing his palms slowly before continuing. "I also went by the alias of 'The Morning Blade'. Well, enough about this old soldier, what are your stories?" He raised a brow. It was odd seeing an Argonian and Dunmer traveling together.

Almost immediately, Paints' dour visage morphed into a flashy smile. "Ah, yes, come and join us!" He gestured towards an empty chair. "Any friend of Juin's, forgotten or otherwise, is welcome here!"

When the newcomer had settled in and introduced himself, Paints returned the favor. "I am called Paints-with-Blood, though perhaps you will know me as the Knight of Colors, yes?" He dipped his head in a mock bow, flourishing one claw lazily to the side. "My elven friend and I may not be legionnaires ourselves, but we share their company on this cold and treacherous road." He stopped there, reluctant to share more details of their journey. Though this new stranger might have been an ex-soldier, Paints wasn't sure if the man could be trusted just yet. Vylenwen and Maricus had been laying low since arriving in Winterhold, and for good reason given the palpable tension in the town. Perhaps it was best if he and Juin did the same, at least for now.

"Ah, but only now do I sight a tragedy! You are without drink!" Paints snatched Juin's cup and st it down before the Imperial. "It is plain to see that our mutual friend is not much for ale. Perhaps it will taste better to your palate, yes? Come, drink, and tell us what brings you up to this cold corner of the world!" To Juin, he smiled somewhat sheepishly. "My mistake, friend. Only name your poison, and I will have the server fetch it for you. Wine perhaps?"

Morning Blade. The name seemed familiar, but it seemed a proper fit for a mythical weapon too. Perhaps a sense of knowing simply came with the words.

"Spiced, if they have it. Any red is a welcomed treat, really," Juin replied, smiling at the thought. He looked to the imperial, but before he could find his voice the man's introduction repeated in his mind. "Morning Blade of the 4th Legion..."

The dunmer remembered his service and his mentor Vaylin. He remembered the great reverence in Vaylin's words in speaking about their commander, theMorning Blade. Paranoia, maybe, but Juin suddenly vulnerable about this man. What were the chances?

"On second thought, what is a new meeting without food?" Juin asked, wasting no time before standing. "I'll see what the barkeep has to that's warm and edible."

Viryn wasn't in the mood for drinking at the moment and held his hand up when Paints offered something other than ale, wine perhaps. "No need, it would be best if I stay sober." Food would be welcomed and Juin seemed to practically jump from his seat to go get them food. He could tell the dunmer was nervous about something, but what? He was going to find out. He had a feeling that this Dunmer knew him, and he vaguely knew the Dunmer.

"You travel with the Empire? Any specific reason why, or is it classified?" He could tell by the way the Argonian was outfitted that he was not part of the Legion. Viryn stilled his tongue from asking too many questions, not wanting to drive his new friend away.

Paints watched, a bit bewildered, as Juin make his retreat to the bar. Was the elf nervous? Perhaps it was this Imperial, appearing from his past. If that was so, what darkness in his history was so potent that a mere stranger could catch him so off guard? Paints brushed his speculations into the back of his mind for later, turning his attentions back to the new arrival.

"You know," he began, extracting his muzzle from the depths of his cup, "you're the second Imperial this week to tell me that sobriety trumps debauchery. The last one ended up dead, cut down in the blink of an eye by troubles he was too stubborn to comprehend." He signaled the server for a refill. "Not that I mean to be morbid. I only mean to suggest that life is often shorter than one hopes. Best to get your fill of ale while you can, eh?"

His smile never wavered. "Oh yes, very specific reasons. If you want details, perhaps you'd be better served asking someone higher-ranking than me. Just look for a stern-looking Imperial with more wrinkles than smiles...but do not wander into any mirrors!" He pounded the tiny wooden table with an open palm as he laughed. "I jest, my lord. Forgive me, it is typically how I welcome strangers." The server placed another cup in front of him, and he wasted no time in taking a large swig. "But you never answered my question. We might be on official business, but why are you all the way up here, where even the sun shivers? I doubt you've come for the hospitality."

"If I had wanted hospitality, I would have stayed in Skingrad with my family. The Imperial's tone was even, apparently unfazed by Paints' exuberance. "No, I came here to pay homage to a memory. During the Civil War, I fought all across Skyrim; I have been re-tracing my steps, so to speak, and those steps eventually lead here. Years ago, this was where we routed a Stormcloak scouting party. One of the bloodier skirmishes of the campaign, despite the desolate surroundings." Viryn glanced around the tavern then, eyes a bit distant. "It's strange, seeing the place at peace."

"A family man, eh? I commend your sense of commitment, it's something I never truly had the stomach for. The wanderlust runs too deep in me, and I've committed all I have to my own oaths. As a former legionnaire, I'm sure you know the feeling." He shrugged, sighing wistfully. "Still, I too miss Cyrodil. What I wouldn't give to be back where the roads are paved and the air is warm...but, duty beckons, and I must answer." He drained the last of his second cup. "A bit of advice, my friend: this town is hardly at peace. There have been some strange...occurrences.You seem a sharp fellow, I'm sure you've noticed how all the locals stare at our backs when they think we're not looking. Trust me, there is trouble afoot. If I were you, I'd keep my blade sharp and my sword-arm ready."

Viryn's reply was steady. "They always are."

Paints chuckled. "Of course! Foolish of me to think otherwise. You can pull a man out of the Legion, but you can't pull the Legion out of a man! I believe you would get on splendidly with this dour lot." He gestured vaguely to the surrounding expedition party...and then, suddenly deep in thought, pulled his claw back to chin. "Quite splendidly. In fact, perhaps you should speak to my 'superior.' Queastor Maricus Valcuio, he's called. When he hears about your past service, I imagine he might have an interesting proposition to make to you." His mind was elsewhere, back in the cave with the unthinking, unfeeling abominations. After what he'd seen, after all the men they'd lost...yes, their expedition could use all the help it could get. There was a chill working itself up his spine. He shook it off with a sudden bout of laughter. "I know you'd be loathe to interrupt your little Northern vacation, but there is much work to be done. Important work, that calls for capable men. And trust me, there will be no shortage of chances to prove your valor."

Viryn studied him for a quiet moment, then turned his attention to the other party members in the tavern. "Mayhaps I will speak to this Quaestor. Do you know where I might find him?"

"It's a small town, and so hedged in by ice and water." Paints answered with a lazy shrug. "There's only so many places he could be."

"Then I will take my leave," Viryn replied, standing. What Paints had said was right; you can take a man from the Legion, but you can never take the Legion from a man. His curiosity, at the very least, was piqued. "A pleasure meeting you."

"Likewise." Paints stood as well, still smiling. "And perfect timing. Serious talk begets a serious hunger. I'll have to see what is taking our Elven friend so long with our horker stew, or whatever passes for tavern food up in this dismal place."

"Quite so. Coin does take the barb out of even the most pointed words." Zaveed smiled in agreement, taking note of the Barmaid conversing with the Breton at the bar, both sets of eyes on the khajiit. "But please, take brute as a term of endearment. I've taken worse terms lobbied at me and worn them with pride. Cutthroat, reaver, pirate, fucking cat… vile terms in polite company, but polite company is so droll, don't you agree?" he said as the Breton finally made his way over to the table, a large staff in hand, a cumbersome thing to drag around a tavern that was probably busier than it was in years. It occurred then to Zaveed that he should get his fill; otherwise the stores would likely run out, especially when the off-duty Legionnaires found their way inside.

The corsair stifled a groan at the cheeky joke the mage cracked as a way of greeting. Even if it was well intentioned and taking shit out of the blunt minded simpletons who threatened to turn any khajiit who crossed them into some piece of drapery, it was still grating. Sevari was hopefully reconsidering his invitation at this point, but this ball was set into motion. Damn. "We're hired hands for a sensitive assignment that simply requires us to be good little minions that don't ask questions and our pockets get lined with almost enough coin to make traversing to this desolate wasteland worth it. Almost." Zaveed said. "The reception has been rather frosty, which is suiting of the climate but I sense there's something amiss here. The college wouldn't be involved, would it? I've been hearing more than one voice curse your beloved institution." Zaveed drummed his claws across the table before gesturing with a thumb across the table to Sevari. "I'm Zaveed, that buddle of sunshine is Sevari. Hopefully you're familiar enough with khajiit to know we don't have last names. If one does, he almost certainly means to murder or steal from you because he's a terrible liar. So, Markain, what's the word around town, or does everyone normally just stare at you like they think you're going to murder them in their sleep?"

I, I admit your forwardness is unexpected though I assure you not altogether unwelcome. That is to say such directness can be crucial at times though...unexpected...at others...

Hm... Markain was taken aback by the Khajiit's candor, the skooma addicts and caravan leaders of Skyrim would weave words for hours given half a chance, no doubt a symptom of their respective isolation, yet this outlander cut right to bone. Perhaps he's a Nord type? Maybe Altmer though the cat seemed more interested in septims than sweet talk. In truth, Markain didn't know which personality to adopt for this stranger. And so, first the first time in a long time, he spoke as Markain.

Very well. As I said, I am a member of the College, a student of Alteration though that's hardly relevant save to say I can appreciate your direct approach. Markain looked about him at the Khajiit's words, indeed feeling the burning sensation of eyes on his back. Leaning close to the two Khajiit, the Reachman lowered his voice. Strange winds have blown through Winterhold as of late and not the bitter fangs of frost your steeds weather outside. Nightmares, disappearances, something foul is brewing and the College is as always the obvious target for blame. These...citizens attacked our college, killing an apprentice in the process and no doubt plan to do so again the moment we lower our guard. They claim we steal their children in the night and flood their days with despair. I'd be surprised if they didn't blame us for this Godsdamned storm! Markain checked his tone, his disdain for the locales becoming increasingly more vocal.

Listen. I don't know what task your puppet master has you doing up here but I suggest you leave before these drunkards find your occurrence a bit too convenient and decide to snip your strings. Someone or something is out there. In the snow. Detect Life reveals nothing and no one in the College cares to intervene now that our blood is on their hands. With nothing to check whatever this is things will get worse before they get better and you & yours won't want to be around when it happens.

Lowering his voice to a mere whisper, Markain concluded. I'd have half a mind to leave with you and let this village burn if I didn't know the rats would live long enough to scuttle the flames to the College.

Reactions: Mosis Tosis
When the Breton sat with them and opened their new relationship with an awkward joke, Sevari had to remind himself that he was here to answer questions. Whether or not he would stay and be liked was another matter, but either way, Sevari didn't exactly want to make any enemies in the town, especially not when he found it in a strange and precarious mood as this. When Zaveed finally asked his questions, Sevari sat, taking a drink from his pewter cup and wiping his mouth on a sleeve. Sevari flashed his blue eyes at the Breton when Zaveed poked at Sevari's use of what non-Khajiit would consider a last name, completely defying the naming conventions of most Khajiit and going even further as to describe those bearing last names as liars, thieves and murderers. Well, Zaveed, if This One was a more sensitive Cat…

"Sevari" He nodded, still looking at Markain, "Sevari Sev'Ahmet. Knife-for-hire in Yoku. A given name, like the Nords, not a family one."

When Markain reeled himself back and spoke plainly, it painted an entirely different picture of him for Sevari. He decided he liked him, sure, but trust him? Well, no reason to lie when you're in dire straits, no? Sevari nodded, "We have met plenty who've tried to send us to the dirt, my friend. Unfortunately, plenty of us have met the ones who have sent them to the dirt. Come with us, we could use a mage. I feel like we both know sharp steel is far unsuited to whatever lurks beyond the borders of this town, yes?" He drank again, "Sevari knows the things we've faced bleed and they die. The Snow-Elf knows what goes on and she refuses to tell us. Even so, they bleed and they die. Better to hunt one's fears than let them hunt you."

Once again, the door to the tavern burst open with the help of the wind outside and the legionaries who'd been released from the day's duties walked in, ordering a round of ale. They looked as dour as the rest of the townspeople and some took seats close to the fire near Markain, Zaveed and himself. Sevari turned to one and asked, "What of the Snow-Elf and your leader?"

"They argue. Queastor Maricus knows nothing of what we're fighting and the Snow-Elf refuses to shed light on what she knows. Some of us have been talking desertion but we're all getting paid double for this expedition." He shook his head, his frown getting deeper, "What the fuck is this?"

"Your last assignment if you let it be. Keep your wits about you and quit with your fretting like a courtly maiden on an unexpected detour." The legionary made to speak but Sevari fixed him with a look that dissuaded him, the lad looked at Sevari, Zaveed and Markain. He reminded him they were in a conversation, "Where is your commander and the She-Elf?"

"Back at camp with the wagons." The lad said.

Sevari nodded and turned away from him, back to Markain. "We need more bodies to fill our roster. We've lost a little over half of our legion escort to raids and other things and a mage like you would be a welcome partner. We'll let you tag along while we leave this place and pay you for it as well." Sevari drank from his cup, two big gulps and he'd drained the thing, wiping his mouth on his sleeve and fixing his hat, "While we are at it, Sevari is tired of being pulled along like our friend here has put it, by our puppet-master. It does not please me to be lead blind." He got up from his chair, patted himself down and rested his hand on the pommel of his sword. "We are not entirely beholden to the antics and blind loyalty of the legion," he spared a glance at the legionary he'd spoken to earlier, who gave him a scowl in return, "I want answers from someone who is stuck here and not living safe beyond a narrow bridge in a college. No offense meant, friend."

Sevari sniffed at the air as he took his first step and froze. Under the rank smell of legionaries and volunteers made dirty and stinking by travel on the roads, he smelled something else. It was well hidden but rancid, he hadn't smelled it for a while, not since his ambushes on Imperial convoys. Rotting meat, dead things, and it must have been pervasive to penetrate through the cold air and smells of people in the same room. He looked at Zaveed, certain he smelled it too, but said nothing of it. He strode to the barkeep, wiping out a pewter cup and eyeing the inside, slapped down two septims and slid them across the counter. He looked to his side and saw Juin creep up to the counter, the odd Dunmer. He simply nodded, not knowing exactly how to feel in his presence. The way the man presented and held himself spoke more than his mouth ever could. He saw what his handiwork looked like though, a killer good as he'd ever seen at it. A killer, but something else too.

The barkeep set down the pewter cup and cleared his throat, looking at either man, "Can I help ya fellas? More drink? I swear, you'll bleed the stores down tonight that are meant to last us months."

"My friends and I are adventurers, hard men. We're accustomed to danger and odd things, the lot of us killed monsters just yesterday." The barkeep fixed him with a look that said he was starting to follow but didn't much like it, "Something's got the town quaking in their boots and eyeing us up like thieves and brigands come to do murder. Why? What disappearances do you have? Who plagues this place? We'll send them to the dirt."

"I don't like yer tone, much. I don't like the look o' ya, none o' ya. But a man has to accept coin given in return for strong drink or food," he paused, his eyes hardening up for a moment before he nodded, "or information. Kids. The town's children just gone, no one's been breaking into houses or causing a fuss. Just up and went into the air, one by one. Ya been talking to that fucking College Fella, the Breton what that looks weird. You'll never get information from 'im more than dirty fucking lies, take my word for it. Ya want information, go to Finn or Grenna. That's it. Leave them coins and go to it."

Sevari nodded, understanding he meant it. No more information from him and he knew the people couldn't be blamed for seeing outsiders with disgust and regarding the College-folk with contempt. He turned to walk back to Zaveed and Markain to tell him what he'd found out and to tell Markain how much they hated him. He didn't like the conflicting stories, Markain would have him think the College did nothing wrong while the lowborn people scraping a life out of ice and stone had their children plucked from them easier than man in in his vineyard picks grapes. He didn't have to wonder who'd lose more if they were found out to be lying, the barkeep and the townspeople or Markain and the College. Just as he crossed in front of the door, he smelled it again, stronger and overpowering his senses. He turned to the door and half-drew his sword as it flung open.

Instead of a monster or some thrall like the day before, he saw that bugler lad he'd said he'd like to have a talking to about his habit of getting up before everyone else and interrupting a man's sleep to just to blow air through brass. The lad was breathing hard and Sevari looked to Markain, Zaveed and the rest of his fellow volunteers. It seemed they and the rest of the tavern seemed ready to scream or kill. "Quaestor Maricus wants the volunteers assembled at the camp this instant! Anyone willing to sign on for pay is instructed to follow the volunteers back to their camp with clothes, food and weapons. Any man of fighting age, he says." The boy said before running off back the way he came.

Sevari looked at Zaveed and Markain, nodding to the door. As the volunteers rose and walked out of the Frozen Hearth, Sevari stepped outside first. He sniffed the air, unusually still for just having been blowing harder than the breath of the Dragonborn was rumored to. The smell was far away now but still there. He didn't notice at first that his hand was squeezing his pommel and his jaw was clenched. His ears were pinned back to before he shook his head and walked with the rest to the camp. As they neared it, it became increasingly apparent that what he at first took to be the howling of wind across the mountains or a nearby pass somewhere was the cries of a woman. When the volunteers and the others who'd followed- almost the whole town it seemed with Markain among them- they were greeted by the on-duty legionaries and Quaestor Maricus standing around a woman holding her child. He looked at the She-Elf, standing pale, alone and silent away from the spectacle, hands on the front of her dress and steely yet also delicate eyes watching it all.

Maricus saw the volunteers and waved them over. Sevari and the rest stepped closer but not too close, unsure of what to make of the sight. Maricus stood in front of them, arms akimbo as he paced while talking, "One of my legionaries on guard for the wagons saw a shape in the snow right after the storm calmed itself. She walked up to the town and her mother started blubbering over her, like you see now. Odd thing is that, well, just take a look at her." He stepped closer so only the original volunteers could hear, though he doubted he needed to be quiet with the wailing behind him. "Her eyes aren't right. She doesn't talk, she doesn't respond to anyone, just looks off in the distance off in her own world. We sleep in the camp tonight and make ready to leave come sun-up." As he walked away, Sevari heard him mutter a curse under his breath.

"It looks like we'll not get warm quarters then." He looked out over the eerily calm tundra around Winterhold, looked at the College and then the mountains off a ways away. He clenched his fists and swallowed, getting the same feeling he had when his enemies in the cave were right there next to him, instead now he didn't even know if he had enemies waiting to fight him. Even so, he shook his head and steeled himself, he should live up to his words to Markain, words an old nightblade said to him once. Better to hunt your fears than let them hunt you…

* * *​

Sevari awoke with a start, breathing hard and there was a film of wetness over his eyes that snaked from them down into his fur. His ears were pinned back as if he was still in that alley, surrounded by scary men with scary blades and he looked around him, surprised to see it as the darkness of the tent. The legionaries slept soundly around him. One shifted in his sleep, farted, and another whimpered something but Sevari was hardly paying attention as he looked about himself. He stepped outside, the fire was gone, the girl and her mother were no longer there, wailing and crying. He swallowed and parted his lips, dry skin cracking apart. Sugar, he thought, sugar, just to help me along and after this supply is done I'll be done with it, done with it and my brothers will be proud. His feet took him stumbling to the stables where he peeked in. The torches didn't burn in their sconces and the horses slept. A drunkard was huddled in the corner covered in frozen hay and curled about his bottle, whispering something about a damned tower and the demon sounds, come from Oblivion. He shook his head, wondering what kind of town they'd come to as he rifled through his pack and pulled out the wax balls. The sugar would help him sleep while the skooma would give him a measure of strength and perhaps some lucidity. He looked from one handful of wax to the other at least ten times, every once in a while almost losing his nerve. I paid money for these, I'd be damned if I would just throw them away. I'll use them. Just tonight, it's just that I need it, is all and soon it'll be gone and I'll be far away from anyone who could get me more and that means I'll be rid of the stuff.

He looked down and his hands shook, his vision started to blur and his stomach lurched, threatening to jump out through his throat. It happened again and he fell forward, gagging hard. With both balls of wax in his trembling hands, he rose with a groan and something a little like a whimper, stumbling outside. He had to prop himself against the wall of the stable as he doubled over and gagged again, and again and finally whatever alcohol was still in his stomach poured out of it. It didn't help. He rose, teeth chattering but while it was cold enough to freeze his bollocks solid it wasn't the reason for his shivering or teeth chattering. He sniffled and looked down at the wax balls. He felt an anger grow in him, a shame. He remembered Fa'azri calling him a worthless slave to the stuff, but what did he know about what happened to him while he sat pretty behind those walls, feeling up servant-girls and ogling bar maids, all while he fought, killed, watched men die, pissed himself scared at times and been on both sides of the sword, watching men beg for their lives and begging for his own a fair few times. Fuck him, he thought, looking down at the wax balls, fuck him. He stared at it for long moments and his anger came to a head as he growled and threw it out in the snow and the other handful too.

He breathed hard. He came to his senses and looked back to the town, he needed to get inside but what if someone found those wax balls and opened one to find it? He'd be skewered, for sure, branded a criminal and a treasoner. Treason means death, they'd said. Stumbling through the knee-deep snow, he found the wax balls resting at the top of it. What was one night, just to feel better? He opened one and emptied it out on his tongue. It must have been the skooma as the noise around him all of a sudden sounded like he was listening to the world through a pipe. Muffled, far away while his eyesight blurred around the edges and he felt like he could run all the way to Bruma. He felt like he could lift a horse or two and throw them a mile away. It didn't last long as he toppled to his hands and knees, sinking into the snow and retching it all out, spit as thick as mucus came from his mouth and he looked up to see his own shadow stand.

"A pitiful sight before me. A slave, retching and gagging up his master." He heard a voice come from his own mind. "For all your fury and dangerousness, you are but a whipped cur snapping at hands that stray too close rather than the feared killer you might see yourself as. I have seen it as many have, that you are capable of all and any evil, but if there is good in you, I have not seen." The voice said, though it was not his own, someone else's, a deep woman's voice and his own shadow gestured as the voice spoke again, "You do just as well on your hands and knees, but heed these words: Rid yourself of your self-made shackles, shed weakness and that fool's anger you cling to but be not afraid of your own claws. Too many think themselves righteous simply because they have none. The eldest among your family dislikes you, he plots and plots. They've burned the past and you with it. No more love for you. Journey on and pluck from yourself memories of them if you are to make your ambitions fruitful or at least survive, for your ambitions are empty and useless as you, so long as you give yourself things to enthrall you."

"Fuck your words-euch!" Sevari opened his mouth to speak but found his throat fill with blood and have it pour out of his mouth, wide-eyed and fearing he'd die.

"Furthermore, never let yourself be relaxed and never doubt the blade at your side. Hunt your fears, as you say. A dead man is not useful while a coward dies a thousand deaths." His shadow pointed towards the town and pointed out a figure big enough to have to crawl on all fours to be able to fit through an ordinary door. "It comes."

"Who are you?" Sevari croaked, body shaking in shock at the amount of blood spilled from his mouth. He could still feel rivulets trickling from his chin.

"I am." And it seemed another snowstorm swept him over and the presence vanished with it. He found his eyelids growing heavy…

He woke in the tent, gasping for breath and he wiped at his mouth with his sleeve. No blood but his clothes were wet with melted snow. The taste of bitter skooma was still on his lips and tongue. He smelled that rotting meat again wafting into his nose and his heart dropped as he remembered the dream, had it been a dream? Before he could think on it any further he heard that fucking horn again. He rose first and wasted no time in rushing outside, purposeful steps bringing over to the bugler lad, blowing hard into his brass instrument. He stood in front of the lad, waiting to be noticed but after a few moments of it, he snatched it away. "Stow the shit, boy." He said as the bugler stepped back from him, not knowing what to do.

Hearing the pounding of footsteps, a couple of guards come from the town below sat panting. As they caught their breath, Sevari looked beyond them. He noticed the guards bustling around a house on the outskirts of town and he squinted to see if what he was seeing was true. The girl walked out, same blankness on her face as she sat on the edge of her porch. He flinched as the girl looked up, almost seeming as she looked right at him. Meanwhile, one of the guards caught his breath, "The Jarl wises to hold counsel with you and your compatriots, plus your leader. He says you've told the townsfolk you have experience in killing unnatural things."

Sevari did say they had killed monsters, man-shaped, but monsters. He could not deny that. He simply nodded and the guards stomped through the snow, knee-deep. Quaestor Maricus stepped up beside him, "What's this about?"

"Jarl wants to see us." Sevari said, not quite trusting himself about last night and what he'd seen. He shook his head, It's better to hunt your fears than let them hunt you…

Memory could be fickle. One moment three weary souls could converge over drink and share introductions, their stories entertaining the mind into a pleasant rest, and with a single familiar word comes a flood. Years ago the Morning Blade meant a chance to prove his worth, but now, the dunmer feared too many questions. He rode alongside Vaylin and the patrol party when the ambush came. An inexperienced and battleworn healer assessed his wounds from the battle and ill complexion as reason enough to discharge the dunmer. That was the end of Juinarto the Legionnaire. He might think on that day often, might share pieces of the tale, but always as a dramatic recounting. Viryn commanded men to their deaths that day. Most would have wanted a word were there any survivors. A glimpse into what caused such loss, whether a bad command or something else. An analytical, step-by-step revisiting of the battle that led to the dunmer's infernal hunger. Truthfully, Juin wanted to speak with the Morning Blade. He wanted most of all to know for certain if his mentor, Vaylin, survived too. But could he recount the ambush without a slip of the tongue betraying his secret?

The dunmer's mind felt heavy when the edgy khajit approached the bar. He listened to the whole of the exchange before Sevari left the ornery barkeep to his work. Missing children sounded quite suspicious indeed, and paired with what Paints had shared earlier, Juin wondered if he could even afford his own troubles any mind in this strange place. Juin watched Sevari return to his table near an odd looking Breton and Zaveed before noticing Paints and Viryn approaching the bar too.

"Barkeep," the dunmer called, returning his gaze and raising his cup. "Could I trouble you for a few bowls of stew and more spiced wine?"

The angry looking man snorted as he pulled a half empty bottle off the shelf. "Stew and wine? Thought stranger stuff might suit yer fancy."

Juin glanced at the man beside him and his cutlery. His hand had only just slid toward the fork when the a fowl smell caught his and the barkeep's attention. They looked back toward the entrance to find the expedition's bugler short of breath and stood dramatically in the doorway. Paints and Viryn turned as well, and so it seemed did the whole of the Frozen Hearth's occupants. The young soldier rallied the volunteers and a few acquaintances and led them from out the tavern. As Juin made his exit he looked back to the barkeep and met eyes. Perhaps the man was ignorant of elvenfolk or perhaps his eye more keen than most, regardless, the dunmer threw his darkest leer.

Meeting the absent girl amidst the blizzard struck camp offered little warmth. His heart felt chilled by the sight and the unyielding bite of wind, but what could the dunmer do besides stay attentive and slay the bastard responsible given the chance. Worse, disappeared children and a collective sense of something in the snow did not lend to easy travel. Much worse for someone like him too. He'd fed well during the recent battles and still had two vials left to sustain him until the next opportunity arose. He knew what it felt like to forgo feeding a day or two. The longer he waited the more a stirring turned to a need, and like the first morning he awoke after the ambush years ago, eventually that stirring would consume him totally. Maybe living at that edge would gift him some control. Like a young soldier fearful of battle hardens with experience, perhaps being hungry more often meant learning how to cope and control. Juin thought on this in his tent. It might also mean the exact opposite. Hunger might chip away at him, thinning the line between dunmer and beast. How could he know?

When sleep came it did so aggressively. Juinarto felt pulled, as if many hands grasped his arms and legs and threatened to tear him apart. The strain seemed real as his body stretched, pain shooting through to warn of muscle's limits. He'd never felt hunger like this. In fact, the dunmer wondered if it was hunger at all. He looked about, but when he attempted to sit up his body ignored him completely. From what he could tell there were no restraints and nothing to be feared. For whatever reason, he simply could not move. And just as Juin thought to call out, the pulling returned, but this time downward into the earth.

Juin sunk past roots and stones and graves long forgotten. He fell into the ground, tasting the bloody dirt from long-dead soldiers and those simply caught in the chaos of war. He knew not why nor how. Neither stopped him from seeing. The dunmer watched, because it was all he could do, and the world consumed him as it had so many others before him. Juin took in the dark earth until finally the ground appeared above instead of around. Weightlessness lasted only a moment before the dunmer met solid ground. He heard the crunch of bone and felt naked flesh pressed against cold, rumbling stone. His body vibrated as the caverns trembled. Something was coming. Juin knew it, and only after giving everything he could, he managed to turn his head. The dunmer saw the outline of a great beast of a man. A black silhouette hovering above the ground with two horrid, gnarled wings spread wide and clawed hands hung at its sides. Horror gripped Juin, but his body gave little. His head lashed to little avail, until moments passed, and the creature remained in its place. The cursed dunmer returned his eye to the beast. Dread turned to vague familiarity and Juin began to wonder if what looked of infernal death was in fact something else. He could not shake the strange feeling of welcome.

"Time to rise, sah," a young voice exclaimed as a frigid wind caused Juin to rise. "The Jarl requests our company."

A moment passed before the dunmer's wits returned. Juin nodded to the lad and collected his things as soon as he was able.

~In the Past~​
Ja 'Kiefer started off late at night, and sneaked past his temperamental neighbors, his only thoughts being They'll get along someday.

He traveled once before, so he thought this was no different, considering the fact the distance is much smaller. But this inference was far off, as he was riding on a carriage to Whiterun, not on foot, and Cyrodil's terrain is much easier to travel than Skyrim's cold, hilly terrain. Still, he enjoyed the travel, and he didn't mind the cold, the hills were bothersome though. He brushed off the thought of the odds against him and focused on the good: the wonderful sights that only Skyrim could behold, He loved the scattered ruins and the amazing mountains that tower over and keep a watch over Skyrim.

Ja 'Kiefer was around four hours into his trip, and he is planning on following the river all the way to Windhelm, which, according to the map he bought from awhile back, was actually not that far from his current location, although he can't really stop there to buy some things. Even with Imperial Control, that is probably the harshest town out there for the Khajiit. He decided that, instead, he'll take a detour off the river a bit to the much kindlier Kynesgrove, and buy supplies there for the even harsher journey that lies ahead of him.

Along the path, he gazed his eyes off of it to see a sight that dreads him, a group of Frostbite Spiders, they were quite a distance ahead of him, but those things are things he did not want to fight, gigantic, hairy, cat-eating spiders were just not something he would like to exist in this world.

Those things are the only reason why he will never sleep alone in this place, it's either a settlement, or with a group of friends who are more than willing to get injected with the venom of those huge, disgusting mandibles. He's only seen these things twice, once along the trip to Whiterun. The second time, at our settlement. They attacked us during the day, many thanks to the fact that we were still unified, or we would've had our numbers dissipate in minutes. The battle went well, in Ja 'Kiefer's opinion, he stayed back and frantically fired arrows at those things while the others hacked and slashed at it's hard, outer shell. Gleda ended up getting bit in the leg, and it was ugly, and swelled up like a really big blister.

Tamriel can live on without these things existing, so why are they even here? It would be a happier world if they all just went extinct.

An Imperial clad in steel armor came in at that same day with similar interests as Ja 'Kiefer's interests, as in they both desired to go to Winterhold, he pleaded with the Imperial to travel with him together. After much reluctance, and annoyance, he gave in to his pleas; "Fine, but try any tricks with me cat, and I'll go to the ends of Tamriel to see your head roll on the ground." He nodded, and, after a few more hours of mingling, the two of them were off.

While they traveled to Winterhold, Ja 'Kiefer asked the man so many questions, of course not all of them were answered, but he got quite a bit of information off of him, probably because like Ja, there was nothing else for him to do, other than walking and poking off the occasional predator.

The Imperial's name was Hadrian. He says he had no last name. He wants to go to Winterhold because he says there are problems there that need fixing, and that he's one that fixes problems. He says he makes a living going to the more remote towns, mainly Dawnstar, Morthal, and Winterhold, and helping out people with their issues, and makes sure the town's just a bit stronger coming out than when he came in it. He ended up coming to Kynesgrove because he traveled all the way from Falkreath. He says there was a group of bears that threatened the town, and that he slew them himself. He rambled on and on about stories he did from other towns too, he's boastful, and he's probably bluffing, but he seems to have at least a rather interesting life in comparison to Ja 'Kiefer's, who just dwells in a pair of Nordic towers, a bandit if one will, but he doesn't go around killing anyone who trespasses, unless they start attacking us, then that person's fair game.

We traveled pretty safely for another 6 hours, before we were closing in on Winterhold, and then we were attacked, ambushed, rather, by some very experienced bowmen. Hadrian, perusing to keep that golden reputation of his, charged the ambushers head on, while Ja 'Kiefer stayed back, unslung his bow, and Fired arrows as he could. There were four ambushers. Hadrian and Ja 'Kiefer were only two. He took several arrows to the back before he turned around to face the other two. Hadrian's probably taking care of the other two as we speak. He thought hopefully. He fired two more arrows at the bushes in which the archers were cleverly hiding behind, but nothing heard, were they even there? He was about to avert his eyes when one of them lunged out carrying a battleaxe like he was some great warrior or something. Ja 'Kiefer instinctively dove to the side to dodge his rather inaccurate attack. He got up to his feet, picked up his weapon, and decided to flee the battle in order to get into range, but this guy charged at him like a mammoth. He fired arrows, and they stuck him, but he treated them as if they were pinches, although, with all that blood, he's most definitely injured.

He yelled and charged in for the attacked, and Ja 'Kiefer stumbled backwards, he, in a desperate last attempt to rid this guy, he threw his ax at the guy. Considering the short distance, and his stance giving way to a fully open front body, the ax stuck directly into his chest, knocking him backwards, and dropping him to the floor, breathing heavily. He beat him with his second ax to finish the job.

He looted the man of his weapons, some arrows, and some gold, before running back to the battle. Instead, he came back to see blood splatters everywhere, but nobody in sight. Not even Hadrian. Perhaps he won the fight? Or he died? He scratched his head in confusion, then shrugged and thought, Perhaps Hadrian was telling the truth after all!

Thirty minutes of head-covering, back-freezing traveling later, a warming light glowed just yards ahead of him, he dropped to his knees and looked to the sky; "Thank you, thank you so very much!"

He finally arrived at Winterhold.

Last edited:
In a dream, a painted dog woke and found himself without the Arena. The walls and stands were gone, replaced by a seemingly endless expanse of trees, shifting quietly in the wind. He was bathed in shade and birdsong instead of blistering noon-hot heat, and when he raised his head it was from verdant green grass rather than coarse and blood-soaked sands. He stood, shook a few fallen leaves from his coat as he glanced about, confused but unafraid. And then he began to walk, with no particular destination in mind.

The walk was not unpleasant. The day was warm but the shade was cool, and a soft and salt-scented breeze was slowly rolling in from some nearby sea. The sky was a brilliant blue, a far cry from the bleached-white haze that typically hung above the Arena. Through gaps in the undulating leaves above, he caught glimpse of speckled clouds upon the horizon, and the promise of a light and thunder-less rain. At first the trees were a forest, and he meandered aimlessly, but eventually he began to see a pattern, a distinct order between the trunks. The trees thinned, formed into rows, measured lengths of space between them that were filled with colossal roots. Their branches were heavy with fruit, laden with apples green and red, and all of them ripe and smelling-sweet. An orchard, the painted dog realized. And at the middle of the orchard he found Trig, lounging in the boughs of the biggest tree.

"Where am I?" The painted dog asked the breton, feeling ashamed at how his gruff voice broke the calm air.

Trig only smiled, and reprimanded him gently. "Stand up. You're not a dog here."

And he was right. The man who was the painted dog found himself rising to two feet, his fur replaced by scales. He was not a dog, nor was he painted: though his scales were brushed in green and orange, he wore only a simple tunic, worn and stained from years of honest work. Trig's smile widened. "Much better."

The Argonian spoke, and was pleased to find his voice was less abrasive now, more like a lilting melody. "Where am I?"

"Do you mean you've forgotten?" Trig pulled an apple from a nearby branch and began to turn it over, searching for flaws and finding none. "You've been here before."

The Argonian glanced around. He breathed deep, tasted the air. "Aye," he whispered, realizing, "in dreams." He brought his gaze back to Trig, beseeching. "Tell me, am I dreaming now?"

Trig took a slow bite from his apple, as if considering his answer. "Yes," he finally said, a touch of sadness in his voice. His eyes were focused elsewhere, somewhere towards the horizon, on something only he could see. "Of course."

"I wish I wasn't," The Argonian stated simply. He was studying the trunk of the tree, trying to figure a path up. Perhaps he could climb up there, lay in the branches near Trig, and share apples with him until the sun sank and the rains came in to wash them clean of the day's dirt.

"You made your choice," Trig replied, his voice as distant as his eyes. He finished his apple and tossed the core somewhere deep into the surrounding trees. And then he was quiet for a moment, before he turned to fix the Argonian with another subtle smile. "And now you've got to live with it." He reached to pluck another shining red apple from its stem. This time he tossed it down to the Argonian, who caught it between two hesitant claws. "What's important is that you don't forget why you made that choice."

"But I don't know why," The Argonian stated honestly, feeling something like panic rising in his throat. This place could have been real, this orchard paradise where the fruit grew sweet and heavy in the mid-summer sun. Why had he given it up? What could have been worth that price? He took a nervous bite of his apple. The juice was pleasantly cool against his tongue, despite the warm day.

Trig's voice seemed to come from far away. "Exactly." He was fading form sight, just as the orchard was, all of it becoming blurry and indistinct. The colors were too loud, too vibrant, and all of them coming together like running paint. The apple in his claws was the only thing that retained its form, but when he bit into it again the juice was cold, like a slurry of ice down his throat.

==========
Paints awoke violently, gasping down a blisteringly cold air. A piece of tent fabric near him had torn in the night, allowing snow-soaked air to pour in onto his head. Snarling, he pinched the tear shut. His other claw went rummaging through his knapsack, eventually producing his needle and thread. He set to work. Several minutes later, the hole was mended, and he'd mostly managed to forget his dreams and swallow the lingering taste of apple-juice in his mouth. By the time he had readied his gear and joined the others outside, he was wearing his usual smile.

"I did not know a city of this size warranted its own Jarl," he remarked lightly, stepping up beside Sevari and Maricus. "Though admittedly, I am still quite unfamiliar with Nord customs. I doubt this Jarl would be kind enough to enlighten me before he commissions us to slay his demons, eh?"

Last edited:
So the unnatural dread that permeated Winterhold was something wholly unnatural. Addled minds, disappearances, and outbursts of violence born of fear were the conditions that gripped the small hold. Despite, or perhaps because of, Markain's vehemence of the College being uninvolved and absolved of responsibility for the happenings around Winterhold, Zaveed believed him. After all, anything abnormal would immediately draw eyes to the College because they would be the obvious choice for blame. It wasn't unlike being a khajiit; the moment something was amiss, eyes immediately turned to those easiest to discriminate against or the feared. Zaveed swished his ale around the pewter cup the barmaid had brought in thought, listening to Markain explain his position and Sevari's responses. He looked at the College mage with aloof attention. "Oh, a few drunkards won't be a problem. These axes aren't just for show, after all." He said, gazing about the room at the several tenants. The khajiit frowned. These weren't people drinking to enjoy themselves; they were people drinking to forget and numb themselves. The difference here was it was almost every single soul in the tavern, not just some wallowing soul in the back corner, drowning his sorrows behind tankard after tankard of the strongest hooch the barkeep had to offer. "But let us hope it does not come down to that, hm?"

Just then, Legionnaires entered The bustling tavern, bringing in a gust of frigid air. The men looked exhausted and beaten, but relieved to be off duty. Sevari caught one's attention and inquired on the situation, and the Imperial was surprisingly candid. When the conversation broke, Zaveed raised his tankard in cheers towards the man and returned his attention to the conversation at hand. When Sevari headed to get more drink, Zaveed stretched his legs out, looking at the College student. "Take my advice, friend. Sign up for the expedition and get paid to get away from whatever's going on in this damnable place. At least you'll get paid handsomely and a pretty piece of parchment saying what a good citizen you are." He finished off his cup with a heavy swig and rose to his feet to depart a moment before the young man entered the tavern, beseeching the volunteers to report for duty, prompting a chorus of groans. Zaveed's eyes met Sevari and the corsair offered his companion a shrug before departing the inn, pulling his collar high and tightening his coat as he stepped into the frosty air and thick, crunching snow.

~~~

As night hung heavy, Zaveed found his way to his tent after pissing away the last vestiges of his earlier drink on a snowbank, attempting to scrawl a cursive Z in the compressed powder before the wind covered over his handiwork. A small fire crackled in the middle of the large army tent and Zaveed gingerly tip-toed his away around the sleeping men, finding his sleeping pad and removing his coat, armour, and boots before pulling the blankets over him and resting his head down on the uncomfortably cold pillow. His body shook as a chill ran through him, and as he began to warm up minutes later, fatigue finally claimed him and he drifted off into a sleep.

Zaveed found himself walking through a town, poor enough to not be able to afford the good hardwood that more affluent cities provide, but not so poor as to drive the businesses away. All the signs of a perfectly mundane port city surrounded him, including the same boorish people and sailors carrying to and from their daily lives, utterly insignificant to him as he made his way to the docks, his ship awaiting its captain. He caught his reflection in a window, and the khajiit could not help but admire his finery and the wide hat that sat perched upon his head. He was well-to, and he looked rather ravishing in his attire. He was successful, and he was as important as the wealthiest of merchant kings and the city nobility who would host him, toasting his daring exploits and the colour and riches he brought to the city. He barely took notice of the poor, hideous wretches that lurked near the docks, begging for coin, like bottom feeders who would only ever amount to eating the scraps of fish larger and more powerful than they were. Were he in a more miserable mood, he would curse them for being such spineless cowards. After all, we he not a self-made man who took several risks that paid off?

Cowards will never be men, not really. They're barely even alive.

He arrived at an empty dock and frowned, knowing his ship was to be there. The fact it was to be such a large, resplendent two mast ship with a cabin larger than some people's homes made it more glaring in its absence. Bits of flotsam sat in the unpleasantly still water, other shapes remaining hidden beneath the ice.

Wait, ice?

The air was no longer the light, careless summer breeze of the Southern ports but it carried all the harsh chill of Skyrim's breath, causing Zaveed to gasp in shock as he felt himself prodded with the sting of one thousand needles, wrapping his arms about himself to keep warm, only to find himself soaked through with frigid sea water, his clothing and armour torn and crusted with salt and brine as he collapsed to a knee, fighting against a suffocating, deathly cold. His eyes widened in shock as he heard thumping in the ice, dozens of fists bashing against the surface, trying to break free. A chaotic sympathy of muffled screams were heard towards where they were. Zaveed managed to get himself to his feet and stumble back, away from the water mortified. He bumped into something. Not something. Someone. a heavy, thick chuckle erupted behind him, forcing Zaveed to grasp for his axes and spin to face the man. Zaveed's jaw dropped, and the strength left him.

"You- you're dead!" He shouted, indignant and afraid. His arms refused to cooperate, his body frozen and limbs refusing to work.
An orc towered over him, half his body burnt, flesh melted and bone exposed through the skin. The rest of him looked pale, rotted. He wore the attire of a nobleman beneath a leather jerkin. His captain simply stared at him, the deathly visage grinning at the khajiit.

"He can't speak you know, the flames claimed his voice before his life." Another voice said, the voice of a Breton.

An older man, looking drowned and bloated, flesh tarnished and torn stood beside Zaveed, his damp hair, once lush for an older man, now fallen out in clumps. An eye was missing, as were chunks of his flesh. He smiled sadly at Zaveed. "It is good to see you again, my boy." The Breton said, clasping Zaveed on the shoulder. At least two of the fingers were bone and ligament. "I remember when you were but a young cat, scared and begging for his mother. Now look at you, a powerful man who stubbornly resolved not to die with his friends, but defy the odds and survive."

Zaveed found the strength and anger to brush the man's hand aside, jabbing a finger into his sunken chest. "To Oblivion with the lot of you! You took me from my family so long ago I don't even remember who they were, you expect me to be grateful to you bastards? The lot of you forced me to serve you, to fight and kill and clean your fucking chamber pots so I wouldn't get my throat slit! You don't get to tell me I was wrong to survive when you all died. None of you do!" He stepped away, staring back at the orc. "You have no control over me anymore, Brugash! You died, I lived. Now piss off!"

"You know, the only reason we knew your name was because your mother kept screaming it as Dar'Narra took her for his own enjoyment." A chocolate-furred khajiit with yellow eyes stepped out from behind Brugash, grinning vilely. He looked exactly as Zaveed last remembered him, unscathed. "Yes, Dar'Narra enjoyed her company, and how she screamed." He stepped closer, raising Zaveed's chin up, the older khajiit staring into Zaveed's eyes with cruel yellow orbs. "She was just another woman to Dar'Narra, but she was someone who was going to raise you into a weak, stupid little boy that would have been the runt of the family that would have never learned to care for himself. Think they remember you? Nobody in this world cares for you Zaveed, not like us."

Zaveed screamed, attempting to slash the older khajiit across the face, who dodged effortlessly and retaliated by kneeing him in the gut and throwing him hard against the frigid deck. A weight was suddenly on Zaveed's back, and the feeling of claws digging into his scalp caused Zaveed to cry out in agony, clutching feebly at the hand that gripped him. He was forced to look at the hands breaking through the ice, the dozens of drowned, burnt, and cut down men clamouring for escape from their frozen tomb. The Breton knelt beside him, shaking his head sadly. "After all we gave you, you never really appreciated what we tried to do for you. We took you in and made you family." The drowned, rotten hand pointed towards the first of his crew escaping from the ice. "They want you to rejoin the crew that you left to die. It is time to claim that promotion you desperately wanted."

The claws dragged Zaveed across the docks, tearing skin and fur towards the edge and he was released, lifted by his throat effortlessly by Dar'Narra. "This one always enjoyed seeing you struggle because he knew you would overcome it. Dar'Narra wants to see how Zaveed escapes this time." He threw Zaveed out into the bay and onto the ice, where he broke through the ice, the cold sucking the air out of him. He tried to reach the surface, but limb by limb, the dead pulled him down, away from the light. As the heavy water engulfed him and robbed him of hope, he couldn't even scream as the water rushed into his lungs.

Zaveed shot awake and rushed outside of the tent, tripping over a set of legs before reaching the entrance and stumbling out into the snow. He retched and vomited hard, cold fluid forcing its way out of his throat and into the snow before him. He stared long and hard at the clear fluid in the snow, and a feeling of dread crept over him as his mouth was overcome with a heavy taste of salt.

When the morning came and the man sent to summon him came, Zaveed had been long awake and staring at the flapping fabric of the tent above him. He wordlessly gathered his things and as he was leaving caught the eye of the other men in the tent, all of whom looked like they too had been visited by specters in their sleep.

~Present Time~
Quite some time has passed, although Ja'Kiefer couldn't recall just how much. His wounds were reduced to mere scabs by now. He managed to earn a living helping with some farmers grow berries. He never ended up going into the college of Winterhold, which was very demeaning, and it made him wonder, Will I ever have enough gold to come back home?

On his way to the tavern, which he likes to spend his time residing in during the cold afternoons, he was bumped into, by yet another Khajiit, which was strange, there seem to be quite a number of khajiits in this town. He stepped into the warm hearth that glowed the tavern a pale yellow, but other than the heat, the mood of the place was as cold and recurring as the weather outside, and Ja 'Kiefer was no different from the bunch, he's been with a couple of these guys, some of them had some interesting tales to tell and many feats to show. But now, everything's dead. Everybody's dead.

He gave into the slumber and tossed a few coins the barkeep's way for a tankard of his own, which he consumed, every sip bringing him closer and closer to the dullness of this place.

After one drink, as if his presence scared them, they all started leaving and going off in different directions. He usually went with the masses, and joined their ranks out of the tavern, following the majority down to a camp? Strange. Such a small town, and never once did he see this camp before.

Curious and eager to see new things, he entered the camp, only to met by someone rushing out of their tent, and proceeding to vomit all over the ground before him. This one was a Khajiit, he looked vaguely similar to the one who brushed him before, although it's not polite to pick one off a rack just like that, he seemed pretty scared, or shocked. Ja' Kiefer needed information about this camp, Why not take it from the vomit-cat over here? He thought with mirth. He knelt down beside the fellow, waited for him to calm, and spoke "Are you alright? Did you have too much to drink?"

"You haven't been sleeping, my jarl."

"Hm?" Jarl Kraldar said, attention being pulled to the present. His eyes surveyed the rather humble longhouse that was his home and center of rule since he took power during the Stormcloak rebellion. No one was waiting in attendance, which was a relief. It meant he hadn't dozed off in the middle of an important meeting. He rubbed his eyes with a hand to scrub the vestiges of sleep away. "No, I haven't. Nobody has been, Thonjolf." He looked at his housecarl with a frown. "Sometimes I think the Eight decided to punish me for ever daring complain Winterhold was a bore where nothing ever happened." Kraldar signed, slouching further down in his throne, a seat far less comfortable than it should have been for someone of his position. "The summons have been sent out to the mercenaries?"

"Yes, my jarl." Thonjolf replied. "They should be here momentarily, assuming they heed the summons. You know how it is with sellswords."

As if on cue, there was a rapping on the door and the two guards standing by opened the double doors, allowing the mercenaries access. They indicated to the open space before the throne and cautioned them against approaching any closer. Kraldar smiled warmly, despite his fatigue and leaned forward in his throne to address the people he summoned. "I thank you all for coming on such short notice, but time is of the essence, I'm afraid. As I've sure you've all noticed, there are happenings in Winterhold that defy explanation, including the nightmares many of you surely experienced last night. I assure you, they will be the first of many, I'm afraid. I'll get right to the point; the lot of you are the first sign of hope we've had here since the strange happenings first occurred." He said, taking in each of the faces of those present. A Breton in College robes caught his eye, causing him to take pause. He was the first College mage that he had seen since the riot. Looking at Markain, Kraldar offered a sympathetic nod of gratitude, extending an arm to indicate to him.

"I had not expected to see a College man here today, and you know as well as I what blight our hold is facing. My men are few in number and overworked and suffer from the same nightmares and paranoia as the others, and they are trying to investigate the disappearances of several of our children and keep the peace, no small feat when the citizens are convinced the College is responsible for everything plaguing our hold. We've already had one riot that ended with the death of a student; I fear the kindling is still ready to be set alight for another if we don't resolve these issues soon.

"No one has slept for weeks, and it only gets worse with each passing day. Exhausted people do not act rationally, and they do not think clearly, which is why I am begging you to help save Winterhold before the fatigue takes you, too. We've tried to send for help, but those we sent never came back or we found… traces of them. I fear that no one who arrives here can leave willingly. Some great evil is afoot, and I have no authority over the Legion, although I suspect I will need them to help keep the peace. Asking you, not as a Jarl, but as a man who wants to save his people, please help us find a resolution to this darkness that has enveloped the hold. Too many have disappeared or died, and the only thing I can do is ask strangers to come to our aid. As far as I'm concerned, each and every one of you who volunteers their service will be as honoured and remembered as the Dovahkiin was to Whiterun. He saved the city from the Stormcloaks and a Dragon; what you'll be saving Whiterun from is far worse than both of those things." Kraldar said, rising from his throne. Although he was young for a Jarl, his grey hair gave him the impression of a much more advanced age. He approached the group, a gesture to say status didn't matter here.

"There are two things I must ask of you, both equally important. The first is I must request your presence in the Hold, to help protect our village and keep the peace. We have been attacked by something most foul that none who have witnessed it dare describe, and I fear it has claimed too many lives. I beseech each of you to please consider staying, at least until it appears again, and to slay it. We did not have the fighting manpower we do now between you and the Legion, but you must protect the citizens of Winterhold," he reached out to grasp Markain's shoulder. "And the College. With your help, we can drive that evil back and keep any more lives from being taken. Now, there's a pair of caves my scouts have all but assured me seem to be points of interest that have abnormal signs of use that I need to have investigated. I suspect the source of our mystery lies within at least one of them. I'll have them marked on your maps." He said.
As if by some magical force, the locations of the cave magically appeared on the groups' maps in tidy black ink.

Just kidding, that's ridiculous. Thonjolf marked the maps after the group was dismissed.

Kraldar stepped back to look at the group as a whole to take all the faces in. "Winterhold isn't a wealthy hold, but I will do what I can to see you are suitably rewarded. Lands, titles, wealth, whatever I can offer for your selflessness, I will be all too eager to provide. If this resolves the hostilities with the College, I will see to it that they consider compensating you for your actions, as well. Please let my Housecarl, Thonjolf know what it is you desire, and we will see what we can do for you. Now, I have some other urgent matters to attend to, so I must adjourn this meeting. Please head out at your earliest convenience, but I recommend you do it while you have plenty of light. Nothing good happens after dark in these parts lately. If you cannot secure lodgings in the Inn, and you find your Legion accommodations lacking, I can host you in my hall, although that is less than ideal. No one is admitted after sundown for reasons that will be made clear when you see it all for yourselves." Kraldar bowed, stepping back. "If you'll excuse me. And thank you, from the bottom of my heart. May the Eight look over you all."

With that, the Jarl departed the audience chamber, leaving the group with Thonjolf, the two guards, and a moment to formulate a plan.

Sevari and Maricus stood in silence for a few moments, Sevari staring down at the town below, the little girl's house in particular, wondering what could have happened in the night to warrant the town guard to swarm around it like flies on a corpse. The girl sat on her porch, unheeding of the cold and unmoved by the guards passing by her. Despite her earlier look that seemed to meet Sevari's own eyes despite the distance she didn't seem to pay him or the others in the camp any mind now. She didn't seem to pay anyone any mind at all. Staring down in the snow like it all had become so very interesting all of a sudden. He couldn't read her, he could read Juin well enough to know that he hid something, but her. Not a damn thing. Like trying to pin the intentions of a glacier.

"I did not know a city of this size warranted its own Jarl," he remarked lightly, stepping up beside Sevari and Maricus. "Though admittedly, I am still quite unfamiliar with Nord customs. I doubt this Jarl would be kind enough to enlighten me before he commissions us to slay his demons, eh?"

Sevari almost jumped and reached for his knife, always at his hip, when Paints ambled up next to them with that certain nonchalant attitude, like he'd seen this all before and it seemed to him to be all in order. Just another day. "Men want their titles and I've seen them kill their own family and friends to have them and condemn their own sons to keep them." Sevari spat bitter in the snow, not so much liking the taste of skooma this morning. "Whatever Jarl rules here does so only in name. As long as he has gold or something else to put in my hands then I'll put whoever I need to in the dirt. Maybe we'll live after this and you can tell me how much red you've seen to get all those colors on you, knight."

He didn't look back as he walked forward to the town. If the Jarl had things to say then it'd be best to not keep him waiting. As he made it past the first houses, he spared a glance to the girl. To her credit, she was looking at him now, holding his gaze with something in her eye or perhaps it was something that was missing in it that Sevari noticed. Either way, you could trust Sevari to be a contrary bastard at the best of times so he held that gaze until it hurt his neck to. Something wrong in the town, something wrong with the girl. He fixed his hat and pulled his cloak tighter, breath steaming out as he walked on, the others strides behind him. When they finally entered the longhouse, he looked around, noticing several cats lounging around together in a far corner behind the throne for warmth. He empathized, being a half-frozen cat himself, but he feared the jitters he felt now weren't just because of the cold. The taste of skooma flashed bitter across his mouth and he had the urge to spit.

The cats mewed and stirred together and he wondered why there were so many. There couldn't be many mice that would be scurrying across the rafters in this frozen spattering of buildings. The Jarl began his speech but Sevari only started listening in a few places, enough to know some of the children were gone and no one left lest they wanted to die. Stealing children, now that was some dark work but he'd seen it many times in High Rock. He'd never taken part in it, just didn't have the taste for it, he found. His only regret was having to learn his distaste, unlike those who just knew. His ears perked at the giving out of money, titles or land. He wondered what land there'd be in the nearby mountains, what jewels or metals could be pulled from the dirt and rock, wondered what titles men could come to know him by and speak his name with respect or fear, both maybe. Money, money was always welcome. The jarl might have enemies, but what enemies took the town's children and blockaded a town, slaughtering any of those that would leave without giving any demands at all? It didn't make Sevari feel any better about the town.

When they were dismissed, Sevari grouped himself with the others, looking at his map and studying it. He'd never been to Winterhold and the land was unfamiliar to him. He clenched his fists, trying to fight off a tremor, wishing he'd never met Teralfar. He wondered where he'd be now if he'd just stabbed him and run. Probably turn up dead himself with a Thalmor dagger in his back. It tasted even less good than his current frozen situation, hands tremoring. "Two caves, something inside. We split up and hit them at the same time so no one can run from one to hide in the other or warn any friends. Who's with who, then, and who goes where?"

Paints watched Sevari spit into the snow, more amused than intimidated. He was not accustomed to such sour companionship, but to be honest the dour faces of his comrades were starting to grow on him. Like a bitter wine, he thought. A taste that has to be acquired through time. Or perhaps it was simply the lack of hospitality within the climate and the townspeople that was making him grow to appreciate those that stood by his side. Either way, it mattered little. "Trust me, friend," he assured with a smile, "I have no intentions of dying. Neither do you, I assume." He reached to adjust the collar of his scarf as a sudden brisk wind sent its red length trailing behind him. "And I'm quite fond of stories; if you would hear them, then I will tell them. We can trade, perhaps, tales of color and valor for the histories of a half-frozen Khajiit who looks like he regrets travelling North." Paints trailed along amicably as the group began to move towards town. "One day, I'll be telling the story of our adventure together while I sit and get drunk in some Southern tavern, with an anxious crowd of onlookers hanging on my every word. Best then to get all the details now, so I can do that telling justice..."

==========
Jarl Kraldar seemed an honorable and sensible sort, if one could overlook the dark circles beneath his eyes and his untrimmed beard. Paints couldn't fault the man for lack of upkeep: he'd been in Winterhold for all of day and he'd already had his fill. He couldn't even imagine the stresses of trying to manage such a nightmare, day in and day out. And, speaking of nightmares, the Jarl seemed to share the affliction of the rest of his city. Paints glanced about at the rest of his party when Kraldar off-handedly mentioned how he assumed they'd been stricken as well. Was that why they seemed so exhausted? Paints had been willing to chalk it up to road-weariness, but the possibility that his companions had spent the previous night haunted by malicious dreams was foreboding, to say the least. He himself hadn't slept well, though he couldn't recall what he'd dreamed of. It had started out pleasant, he remembered, drifting off into a daydream as he tried to piece together all the images in his head. Trees, a dog...the taste of apples, the scent of orange blossoms...He snapped back to reality as the Jarl approached the group. Paints shook his head a tiny bit, moved to flick a bit of sleep from his eye with the tip of a claw. Won't do me any good to lose focus now, tired or not. Jarl's right about that at least. Exhaustion doesn't help anyone.

Though he was sure that many of his comrades didn't appreciate being ordered to deviate from their original quest by some backwater-Jarl, Paints couldn't help but feel relieved. He'd been afraid the Quaestor would order them to march out and leave this town to fend for itself while evil closed in upon it, like a wolf circling a wounded hare. Now they had an excuse to stay and help. On the one hand, it may not be smart to divert their attentions and energies away from delivering Vylenwen...but on the other hand, the Falmer ambassador had been frustratingly secretive. Perhaps this would be the perfect opportunity to get more information on what they were really up against. Besides, he thought, his mouth settling into a firm line, I made a promise. The face of the stable-boy flashed across his mind, so young and full of admiration...and trust. If I can help, I will. I swear it.

The fact that they actually had a potential source for all these phantoms in the snow was just the frosting on the sweetroll, so to speak. Paints gazed at his own map for a minute after it was marked. Then he turned to Sevari, who had his map outstretched before the group. "I've got a fine steed," he said, one corner of his mouth turning up, just the hint of a boast. "So I suppose it's only fair that I travel to the farther cave, here." He tapped on the map with a single claw while he turned to Juin with a familiar smile. "My friend, perhaps it is time we begin work on that collaboration, yes? Come with me, and if there is fighting to be done we'll paint ourselves a masterpiece." He surveyed the rest of the group, one hand loosely on his belt. "Perhaps one of the Khajiit could join us as well, make use of that fur over the longer journey." He shrugged and began to stretch his sword-arm. "Though, I suppose it matters little in the grand scheme of things. If you all feel like following fate, perhaps we could draw straws, yes?"

A night of dreadful dreams and a tired crew stirring frantically on a frigid morning -- Juin struggled for a word to describe it all. He dressed himself a thick, red tunic signifying his service, before sliding his boiled leather on and lacing the sides. The fit had loosened in the chest and sides. Years of research had softened him, perhaps. Or maybe the night's dread took a piece back. The dunmer had never been overly superstitious until his very blood changed and deceit became as necessary as air or water. He thought on Boethiah as he finished tying his steel vambrace. Once he thought little of the daedra or of any god or god-like being because, well, if they paid him so little mind why should he give anything? And then life changed. Juin wrapped his scarf around his neck and raised his hood. Deceit and treachery no longer tasted bitter. Juin thought on Boethiah and felt an odd sense of appreciation. As the dunmer picked up his satchel, making for the tent's flap his eyes widened. The word for his feeling, then and the night before -- Foreboding.

The feeling only worsened. Jarl Kraldar stood tall and thick like a true Nord ahead of Juin and the expedition. Yet, the skin beneath Kraldar's eyes had darkened and his beard missed the mark not northern men were known for, much less one of high birth. The dunmer knew Skyrim well enough, but not Winterhold, and not the qualifications of such leaders either. He glanced about as the jarl addressed them. His comrade, the painted argonian, seemed to take notice of the unkempt look of the man as well. Still, what the jarl described in fact seemed an appropriate cause for a leader. To lose the trust of your men in the Legion meant also losing authority one in the same. Without the ability to ensure that even the children could live free and safe, what did the hold offer that the wilds or frosty peaks did not? If some dark thing could creep through walls and past guards then perhaps isolation or a less frigid place may offer solace. Juin let the idea simmer a while. The longer he thought, the more he respected the Jarl Kraldar. Some would turn their backs and pay no mind. This man seemed truly distraught and at least he was trying. A good task, Juin decided.

When Jarl Kraldar finished his piece, the promise of reward not surprisingly left hanging in the air, the expedition gathered once more. The dunmer had little chance to consider if a title could serve one weary of too much attention before the painted argonian approached with his freshly marked map. "I've got a fine steed, so I suppose it's only fair that I travel to the farther cave, here." Paints paused and glanced at Juin with a boyish grin. "My friend, perhaps it is time we begin work on that collaboration, yes? Come with me, and if there is fighting to be done we'll paint ourselves a masterpiece."

"You paint a pleasant picture of such an unpleasant place," Juin replied softly before nodding. "It'd be an honour. Small group if we meet a similar lot as the cave before, though."

"Perhaps one of the Khajiit could join us as well, make use of that fur over the longer journey." He shrugged and began to stretch his sword-arm. "Though, I suppose it matters little in the grand scheme of things. If you all feel like following fate, perhaps we could draw straws, yes?"

Juin looked to Sevari and Zaveed. No one did especially well in the cavern before, but which of the two would he prefer? Sevari seemed to bring with him a mysterious passenger constantly demanding some level of attention. A distraction of some sort, whatever it was, and Juin had seen soldiers die with minds yearning to lay with lovers leagues away. Yet, Sevari spoke with a cool and calculated mind. He was rigid, analytical, and although Juin suspected he'd seen the dunmer at his worst, the khajit seemed loyal enough. Meanwhile, Zaveed was simply a curiosity. Juin saw the weight that the satchel he received before held for him. The sight stirred questions and compassion, but otherwise, Zaveed seemed a neutral sort. The dunmer thought on who he'd prefer to share the road a while until the image of the cavern came upon him. He remembered the gaping maw, which immediately caused him to pause, and what ensued. Why was he wasting his time with these questions?

"Morning Blade, a Dog of War can't possibly turn down an even greater trek before facing the unknown," Juin proposed. Viryn might pose a risk to the dunmer's secret, but a tried-and-true legionnaire such as the Morning Blade surely lowered the risk to the dunmer's flesh. Without life, what secret had he to protect?

Markain stood alongside the travelers and sellswords, strangers and beastmer, all he'd ever owned slung across his back. Leaving never bothered him, he'd exhausted most of the Arcaneum's information anyway. The road ahead didn't bother him, he'd trekked from Markarth to Winterhold by himself years ago. Leaving behind his colleagues and professors didn't bother him, they too were quickly outliving their usefulness as he steadily approached the zenith of what they could impart of Alteration magic. In a way it even seemed fitting he'd be leaving on some dark and dangerous mission as he chose the school in the first place to unravel mysteries of forbidden and foreboding magicks. No, what bothered Markain most was the audacity of Winterhold's Jarl.

A Nord in every sense.

Kraldar made a show of solemn empathy, familiarity even, toward Markain. Truly it was a sad and unavoidable occurrence. Forgive the rabble for they know not what they do. As the Jarl laid his meaty hand upon his shoulder Markain resisted the urge to strike him down where he stood. The thought of the grease from porcine meals and splashes of glittering goblets of wine seeping into his robes caused the Reachman to stifle a shudder.

Now, run along and do what my men are incapable of, you expendable bastards. Kraldar the Jarl now Kraldar the Nord fell lower to Kraldar the Great Sodding Arsehole as he promised the College's reward and gratitude when this terrible, horrible, vile problem is finally solved. Markain gnashed his teeth, a painful endeavour given his race's Orcish canines. If he'd bitten his tongue any tighter it would have fallen on the Jarl's precious hardwood. And woe be unto the servant who couldn't ring blood from frozen oak. Forty lashings and his scrotom on a pike, leave him in the snow as an offering to whatever the hell is eating our fucking snot nosed brats. Markain was practically seething as the Jarl took his leave. The indignant bastard! Give his orders and prance along his merry fuckin' way, back to tend his brood of mewing cats and whores-in-waiting while others clean up his godsdamned city!

Markain kept his hood low across his face and his knuckles clenched white against his staff as he passed his map to the Housecarl, a slightly less insufferable Nordish buffoon if only for the fact he was simply doing his job at the behest of the All Mighty Sodding Arsehole Himself.

Shaking with fury and teeth clenched tight, Markain made his way to where the stranger's stood. Drawing a long breath to steady himself, Markain pointed to the closer of the two caves, opposite of what the flamboyant lizard claimed as his own. Then I'll go here. I know the area and can lead my party here and back despite the storm. The Argonian seemed a jovial sort and so Markain, always in need of new utensils, added with his best fake grin, For your sake, I hope your horse has the blood of a Slepnir or a Frost Troll with these winds. Safe travels to you, friend. And with that Markain moved closer to the exit. He sincerely hoped the Jarl was correct and whatever was controlling these attacks on Winterhold was in those caves. Specifically his cave. That poor Apprentice. Surely a great Nord such as himself would understand. The dead are to be honoured. And avenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.