The Elder Invasion: CHAPTER 3 - Anirune Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Anirune Forest

Glancing over at the woman, I motion with my head to the trees around us. "I’m getting the feeling that we’re not alone. How about you?" Holstering my pistol, I bring my staff Iratze into a ready position, watching the trees and bushes around me for any signs of movement. My eyes begin to glow a pale blue as I draw upon the energies from Undeath, ready to start firing spells at anything that looks vaguely unfriendly.

"I agree," Magdelene replied, readying her staff in both her hands as her eyes scanned the surrounding area. From the corner of her eye, she noticed the stranger's eyes begin to glow an unnatural pale blue she wondered who - or what - this stranger might be.

However, before she could think it through further, a strange tattooed grey humanoid leapt out from behind a thick tree trunk and dashed toward Magdelene. Gasping, she managed to defend herself with her staff which clanged loudly against her attacker's machete.

"Argh!" She cried as she struggled to stand against the force of her attacker. Magdelene huffed before heaving the grunting grey tribesman off her with all of her strength, throwing him to the ground, and then shut her eyes momentarily as she visualised a spell within her mind.

Quickly, Magdelene swept her staff through the air in front of her. The crystal at the end of her staff glowed a bright red before igniting as it moved through the air. Her eyes flashed open as she shouted her command, "Fire!"

The writhing flames leapt through the air from the crystal shard and headed straight for her attacker. The grey tribesman tried to roll out of the way, but was one millisecond too slow. A flame had caught the end of his loin cloth and he tried to swat it out with his hand but it was of no use; this fire was no ordinary fire.

Pointing her staff at the grey creature, Magdelene controlled the flame with her staff and quickly incinerated him, leaving only a moment for his scream to echo throughout the forest before his ashes flew away with the wind.

"Are you alright over there?" she asked the stranger when, suddenly, more tribesmen dashed out from behind bushes and trees, heading straight for her. Magdelene barely had time to suck in her breath and scream. "AHH!" She cried as the harsh clanging of steel rang in her ears as she helplessly tried to defend herself with her staff against the multiple blows.

Magdelene agrees with Grumpy regarding a strange presence. The greys attack both Grumpy and Magdelene in a surprise ambush. Magdelene manages to kill one off, but is currently struggling with the rest that have just come out of hiding.

ANIRUNE FOREST, DAY ONE, MORNING​

I hear the woman say something to the affirmative, followed directly by a cry. As I whirl to see what has happened, something solid punches into my back and an arrow-tip forces its way through my shoulder and out the other side.

Glancing down at the injury, I then turn to see several grey-skinned, tattooed tribesmen all levelling bows in my direction. The markings are familiar, as are the assailants, and I realise why I couldn’t detect any forms of life in the area. These guys are hunters, and those tattoos aren’t just for show; they prevent most magic-users from being able to locate these beings through the use of their Art.

Clever little fuckers, I must admit.

”You know, I really liked this jacket,” I inform the tribesmen in front of me, before releasing the pent up energy of Undeath and begin chanting. With a swipe of my staff, the three closest of my attackers are engulfed in a wave of darkfire, the flames roasting them alive in seconds. Their compatriots are quick to react, rolling to the side and letting loose their arrows. Another hits me, this time in the stomach, but I don’t even register the injury; it’s been a very, very long time since I felt the sensation of pain.

The remaining tribesmen close in on me with blades and machetes, quickly and skilfully surrounding me. I reach for their minds, ready to crush what sanity they have... only to discover the markings on their body protect them from such attacks as well.

I really need to find whoever inked these tattoos and have them brutally murdered; this is getting irritating.

Barking several words in the language of Undeath, I drop Iratze and go for my Colt M1911s instead. As the first attacker lunges, I drop him with several .45 rounds in his chest; it seems their tattoos don’t do much to protect them from bullets. As the remaining two circle me, the first is tackled to the ground by his two burnt comrades, reanimated and now under my control. I kill his friend with a single shot to the side of his head as he rushes to help, and leave my two new happy helpers to finish off the last tribesman.

Then I hear the woman yell, and remember that maybe she could use some help, too.

Whirling around to face her, I see her beset by a group of similar grey-skinned tribesmen. Sighing, I bring my handguns up once again and unload them into the group, taking care not to hit the woman.

Grumpy gets hit several times by the tribemens' arrows and, complaining about the damage they have done to his jacket, attacks them. He notes that their tattoos protect them from being detected by magic and from attacks upon their minds, but manages to kill them despite this. He then turns to assist Magdelene.

Magdelene heard the shots pound against her ears through shut eyes and instantly felt the heavy pressure against her staff decrease as, one by one, the tribesmen fell victim to the fury of the stranger's Colt M191. Once she felt it was safe to open her eyes, she gasped as she found herself surrounded by at least four bloodied grey bodies riddled with bullet holes.

A brief moment of silence ensued, save for the whistling wind which brought the metallic scent of blood and burnt flesh through the air.

"Is... is that the last of them?" Magdelene finally asked but loudly drew in a breath as her gaze fell upon the stranger and his smoking guns. "You're hurt!"

Using the staff to help her onto her feet, Magdelene made to inspect the stranger's wounds but stopped mid-step as her ears picked up the sound of a nearby rustling bush. Somebody, or something, was making their way towards them.

Not wanting to find herself at the mercy of a surprise attack Magdelene readied her spell, the crystal at the end of her staff glowing a pale blue as dagger-like icicles formed in the air in front of her, as she waited for the unfortunate soul to emerge from the dense foliage.

Grumpy shoots surrounding tribesmen, saving Magdelene in the process. After a short wait, Magdelene finds that Grumpy has been injured but as she gets up to inspect his wounds, she hears something approach. She readies a deadly spell, aiming towards the direction of the sounds of approach.

Those there might know, or perhaps cam give us directions.” Vay replied, pointing to the direction where shouts were previously heard.

Megane-kun nodded, and started walking. Barely did they go far when megane-kun felt somebody, or something, looking at him. "Are the trees staring at us? Perhaps we're in some kind of magical forest, where trees are sentient and such..." he thought as he tried to ignore the feeling of being stared at, besides, he reasoned out, the warrior creature with him would notice that well he would have noticed them.

<hr>summary:
megane-kun and vay started to walk towards the direction of magdalene and grumpy. they barely made it far when megane-kun felt somebody, or something, staring at him.

Vay nodded his instincts had been going haywire since his arrival and he was impressed that this human could sense something wasn't normal here, but before he could comment shots rang out from ahead. Almost instantly Vay was taking shelter behind a tree, him rifle gripped in both hands. His breathing was slow and quiet, completely silent, and he barely moved except to peek out from behind his cover. After several moments he began to move forward, and then jumped clean into the branches of a tree. Only then did he look back at megane ans motion him to follow.

Just as he was trying to ignore that annoying feeling of being stared at, megane-kun heard shots from a distance. In a flash, Vay was gone.

"Wha?! What was that, and where did Vay go?" he mumbled as he scrambled for cover. Suspecting that the trees were unfriendly, he did the next best thing he could think of, drop and lie face down.

"That's it... Play dead." he thought as he tried not to choke on the leaves and the soil that force their way into his nose and mouth with each breath.

It was a tense moment, and he didn't know how long he lay there waiting for who knows what. He further panicked as he heard Vay jumping towards the trees. Moments after that, Vay beckoned him to follow.

Megane-kun didn't bother brushing off the dirt from his clothes and followed Vay.

"Wh.. ... What was that?" he asked once he caught up to Vay. "Is that uhm.. something still prowling about? And whatever happened to that somebody who shouted earlier? I do hope whoever shouted earlier is still alive." he mumbled incoherently as he tried to regain his composure.

ANIRUNE FOREST, DAY ONE, MORNING​

Reaching down for the arrows protruding from my chest, I chuckle at the woman’s exclamation.
”Nothing to worry about,” I inform her, replacing the colts in their holsters and beginning to snap the arrowheads off so the shafts can be removed, ”It takes a great deal more to injure me than arrows. Are you hurt, however?”

Both of us hear the rustle of the bushes at the same time, and we each ready ourselves for another attack. Reaching out with my mind, however, I sense the thoughts of two beings moving towards us. One is distinctly alien, as different from the mind of a human as it is possible to be. One is human... but there’s something odd about it, something I can’t quite put my finger upon.

At any rate, they’re not more of the strange tribesmen that attacked us, or else I wouldn’t be able to sense them.

“I don’t know who is approaching,” I tell the woman (I suppose I should call her a witch, given the powers she has?), going back to removing the arrows, ”But they are not like our attackers, so it might be more polite to see if they’re a threat before we tear them to shreds. Of course, if you don’t want to take that chance, I understand perfectly.”

With both the arrows out, I draw my colts again and begin to reload them, sensing the two strangers draw closer.

Grumpy dismisses his injuries as nothing important as he removes the arrows, and inquires if Magdelene is hurt. When they both hear something in the trees, Grumpy senses two minds approaching them, meaning that they are not about to be attacked by the tribesmen again. He informs Magdelene of this as he reloads his colts.

The remaining tribesmen, led by the staff-wielding shaman, watched Grumpy and Magdelene through the trees, as still and silent as statues. With a hiss, the shaman made a bizarre motion to his followers, and the group began to back away from the pair.
”Chraka lakelle,” the shaman said, in a whispering, hissing voice, ”Chraka lakelle ara verdunne. Groja Cthulhu.”
”Groja Cthulhu,” repeated the tribesmen, and without another sound, they melted into the trees, disappearing amidst the bushes and branches of Anirune Forest.

Gone for now, but not beaten.

Vay, hanging by one hand and looked forward while remaining hidden in the tree. “Sounded like a slugga*.” Vay said calmly without looking at Megane, “Sounded like just one of them.” This puzzled him, orks never traveled alone, and where had been no orkish shouting. He swung down and landed on both feet. “The ones ahead are armed, we should use caution.” He moved forward going from tree to tree reaching the edge of the clearing and still using the trees as cover peered forward. “Two humans.” He said quietly, but something wasn’t right with either. The back of his mind has buzzing with possibilities ranging from cultists to genestealers to psykers. There were also several bodies of even more humans, though these where different. He backed away from the clearing to where megane was “Two humans, they appear to have killed several others.” He said quietly. He was unsure how to precede, part of him wanted to go the other way, another wanted to approach with an open hand, and a small piece, that didn’t seem to belong to him, longed for their deaths.

Magdelene blushed sheepishly as she lowered her staff, the icicles melting away into thin air as she released her spell.

"I guess you're correct there," she paused before spinning around and eyeing him curiously, "But how can you tell? Are you some sort of psychic mage? You don't look like one..." Magdelene's steady gaze travelled over the stranger's physique and then finally rested upon his bloodless wounds, "In fact... I've never encountered your kind before in my life... what or who, should I say, are you?"

Magdelene quizzes Grumpy on what or who he is after cancelling out her spell

Sounded like a slugga*.” Vay said calmly without looking at megane-kun, "Sounded like just one of them.

"Huh? What the hell are you talking about?" megane-kun thought as he followed Vay. Megane-kun looked around him in anticipation of something suddenly springing out from the trees and, perhaps, surprising them. However, the forest seemed to mock megane-kun, for everything seemed to be quiet and peaceful, at least for now.

The ones ahead are armed, we should use caution.” Vay added, as it peered forward. "Two humans.” Vay murmured as he looked further on. “Two humans, they appear to have killed several others.” Vay clarified, as he backed away from the clearing, leaving megane-kun ahead.

"What now?" megane-kun mumbled, asking for clarification. He looked at Vay, who seemed to have no inclination of going further. Perhaps he's distrustful of humans, or perhaps afraid, or perhaps both. In any case, it seemed to him that it's up to him to go on further.

"Oh, ok ok.... I'll go...." megane-kun said, "Wait right here."

Megane-kun made a few tentative steps further into the clearing. Walking further, he saw a woman talking to a man. "A couple?" he thought stopped walking and took cover behind the nearest tree. The woman have just lowered her staff and spun around. The man seemed to be more or less skeptical, or at least careful.

"Perhaps I am ruining some romantic moment here...." he thought as he turned back to return to Vay.

<hr>summary:
sensing humans up ahead, vay hesitated to go on further, leaving megane-kun to explore the clearing for the both of them. there, he saw grumpy and magdalene talking to each other. thinking that they're a couple, and that his intrusion might not be welcomed, he turned back to return to vay.

ANIRUNE FOREST, DAY ONE, MORNING

Holding my hand up to the woman, I move forward a couple steps, recovering Iratze from the ground. I then look in the direction of the two strangers standing nearby and call,
”I’m aware of your presence, you know, and provided you don’t intend to harm my friend and I here, I don’t have any intention to harm you, either.”

Turning back to the woman, I lean against my staff as I answer her questions. ”I’m known as Grumpy, for reasons that quickly become obvious if you spend enough time around me. As to what I am, I’m a Lich. Please don’t associate me with common necromancers, however; I’m about as far removed from those fools as they are from priests.”

Necromancers are rarely liked by other spellcasters; probably because of the deals they make in order to use their chosen form of magic. Can’t say I blame other spellcasters, either, as necromancers aren’t known for being particularly pleasant individuals. I left all that behind when I became what I am now, however, and thank goodness for that.

My eyes, now back to their normal colour, flit between watching the woman for a reaction and watching the trees for signs of the strangers or of our attackers.

Grumpy calls to Vay and Megane that he knows they are there, and that he doesn't plan on harming them if they approach. He then introduces himself to Magdelene, explaining that he is a Lich.

"I’m aware of your presence, you know, and provided you don’t intend to harm my friend and I here, I don’t have any intention to harm you, either." the man's voice boomed even before megane-kun had made a single step back towards Vay.

"Oh... sheet... I'm found out!" megane-kun thought as he involuntarily raised his arms. "Uhh... Please feel free to continue making out... errr.. I mean... having your conversation there..." he said, his mind fumbling for excuses, among other things. Fortunately, this wasn't heard by the man, who turned his attention towards the woman he's with.

"I’m known as Grumpy, for reasons that quickly become obvious if you spend enough time around me. As to what I am, I’m a Lich. Please don’t associate me with common necromancers, however; I’m about as far removed from those fools as they are from priests.” the man said to the woman.

"Wait... what the hell?!" megane-kun blurted out as he turned quickly to the man. "Were you guys the ones who shouted earlier?"

Megane-kun approached the couple keeping his arms raised. "We were surprised to hear that hysterical scream earlier, and decided to check it out."

"Uhm, and what I mean by 'we' is uhm... me and my uhm... not quite a creature companion back there" megane-kun blabbered and turned his head towards Vay. "He's a bit shy of humans and uhm..."

"Yeah, he's a bit shy, and sort of asked me to check things out." he went on.

<hr>summary:
megane-kun, having been found out by grumpy and magdalene, approached the two and started to explain, albeit akwardly, their presence there.

Vay peered out into the clearing and upon seeing Megan walking forward swore under his breath. “Clearly not a warrior.” he muttered clasping his rifle loosely in both hand and entering the clearing slightly crouched, not taking his eyes off of Grumpy except to make sure the pair where alone. He stopped a small distance away, not coincidentally the range of his jump. Neither where wearing uniforms but he was still cautious. After a few seconds of studying the pair he stood. “Greetings humans, he said bowing to then and giving the same salute as before. “I am Vay, the shy creature.”

My right eyebrow rises as the closest of the people I detected enters the clearing and begins making various bizarre observations. Once again, I note that he looks human, but there’s something different about him that I can’t figure out.

Then his companion enters my sight, and I raise my eyebrows again. A kroot warrior, by the looks of him; long time since I’ve seen one of these creatures. His mind is alien, as I expected, but I can sense something within it... something other, something that has no place in this world.

The teenager continues to speak in a nervous manner until I cut him off.
”You heard us get attacked by the humanoids you see lying around us,” I inform the two, ”And I’ve got a feeling this won’t be the last time we see them, either. It may be an idea for us all to stay together whilst we’re in Anirune Forest; this place was formed in dangerous times, and was populated by dangerous beings when I was last here, and by the looks of things not much has changed.”

Grumpy's slightly perlpexed by Megane's stuttering entrance and the nature of the teenager, but keeps his thoughts to himself. He also recognises Vay's race, as well as something 'other' within him. He explains that he and Magdelene were attacked by the tribesmen lying around them, and that he believes it would be safer for everyone to stick together.

As Grumpy greeted Vay, in the distance the sound of heavy calibre gunfire broke out, followed by a deepthroated roar, one that to any from the 41st millenium would cause consternation and fear.
"
WAAAGH" the battlecry of the Orkz, known for their savagery and brutal cunning.

"yoo want sum too do ya 'Umiez? yez all gunna die ere!" Mizdogg bellowed defiantly, his 'Kustom Shoota' spitting death at all who dared try to pick a fight with an Ork Nob, large belts of ammunition sped over the Ork's massively muscular shoulders, running to what looked much like two heavy machine guns welded side by side, the ejection ports beneath the weapon spewing Brass shell casings
"get back ere! I got enuff fer all of yez!" the Ork yelled, laughing almost hysterically as he blasted trees and foliage to sappy pulp, trying to inflict some measure of pain on the tribal humans who had melted into the trees at some unheard command quite some time ago.

at last, after several minutes of continuous fire, the ammo belts ran dry, and the Ork quickly went about loading fresh ones into the 'Shoota' though it was at this point that the Ork, breathing heavily from all the exitement, noticed that the tribesmen had dissapeared.

AS the Gunfire Ceased, Grumpy and the others heard a loud profanity come from the same direction as the battlecry
"get back ere ya naked gitz im not dun wif yez yet!" following that however, all the group could hear was the sound of leaves and foliage being hacked out of the way and heavy footfalls, heading in their direction.

Summary: in the distance, Grumpy and friends hear gunfire, followed by the battlecry of a 40k ork.

cut to Mizdogg firing a massive twin linked heavy machinegun into the trees after the tribesmen, who faded into the distence a short time after the shaman and co left grumpy's group.

cut back to teh survivors, who would have heard all of what happened above, followed by the sound of Mizdogg approaching them, cutting hsi way through the forest.

”I’m known as Grumpy, for reasons that quickly become obvious if you spend enough time around me. As to what I am, I’m a Lich. Please don’t associate me with common necromancers, however; I’m about as far removed from those fools as they are from priests.”

"A Lich... amazing," Magdelene spoke, her tone quenched with wonder and awe. It explained very well as to why he didn't bleed or feel any pain. "I am called Magdelene, Witch of the Elemental... though I'm starting to dabble in Time magic and, well... I accidentally warped myself here just a moment ago, before those grey people attacked."

"Wait... what the hell?!" megane-kun blurted out as he turned quickly to the man. "Were you guys the ones who shouted earlier?"

Megane-kun approached the couple keeping his arms raised. "We were surprised to hear that hysterical scream earlier, and decided to check it out."

"H-hysterical?" the witch squeaked loudly, though more to herself than anyone else around her.

"Uhm, and what I mean by 'we' is uhm... me and my uhm... not quite a creature companion back there" megane-kun blabbered and turned his head towards Vay. "He's a bit shy of humans and uhm..."

"Yeah, he's a bit shy, and sort of asked me to check things out." he went on.

Vay peered out into the clearing and upon seeing Megan walking forward swore under his breath. “Clearly not a warrior.” he muttered clasping his rifle loosely in both hand and entering the clearing slightly crouched, not taking his eyes off of Grumpy except to make sure the pair where alone. He stopped a small distance away, not coincidentally the range of his jump. Neither where wearing uniforms but he was still cautious. After a few seconds of studying the pair he stood. “Greetings humans, he said bowing to then and giving the same salute as before. “I am Vay, the shy creature.”

Magdelene gasped loudly at the sight of Vay. What a strange creature! She felt a sudden urge to creep up closer to him (for she definitely thought it looked more male than female) and examine every inch of his physique, jot it down and report back to her Coven.

But then her heart slumped at the thought; she may never see her beloved Coven again. If only she could devise a way to get back somehow without landing into even more trouble...

"Hello, Vay-the-shy-creature," Magdelene said pleasantly, shifting back to the present, and then turned to the young man with spectacles, "And are you two travelling together? What's your...?"

Suddenly, gunshots and a thunderous roar could be heard in the distance, followed by a barrage of foul language and the thunk-thunk and crunch of snapping tree trunks and breaking leaves. Something was coming closer. Something... big.

"What in heaven's name is wrong with this forest?!" Magdelene cried as she held up and readied her staff once more.

After Grumpy introduces himself, Magdelene reciprocates as Megane then quizzes the two about the shouting earlier. He then introduces Vay, who climbs out from hiding and formally introduces himself to both Magdelene and Grumpy.

They start a conversation when suddenly, gunfire and shouting breaks loose nearby, as Mizdogg closes in. Magdelene, not knowing what to expect, readies her weapon.

WAAAAAAGGH!

Vays reaction was instantaneous, his rifle pointed in the direction of the sound and he spaced his legs out, combat stance. Fear gripped him, he was alone amongst humans, and did not sound like a common boy. “ORK!” he shouted crouching low and finding cover, he knew they stood no chance against even a nob, let alone a warboss, but running did not even cross his mind. His training came to the fore, turning him from nervous to calm, from tense to ready.

He glanced at the others, no doubt they knew of orks and the danger they where in if they stayed. He said nothing, except to offer a prayer in his native language asking for guidance. It came in the form of a memory, of a conversation he had once had with a firewarrior. The first priority of war is to preserve the lives of your men. Second is to kill the enemy. Third it to gain ground. “We should leave this place.” he said, in almost a resigned tone. “The green tide is coming.” he assumed the ork was not alone, they never where. “Where there are orks, there are more orks.” as the saying went

As the undergrowth and threes were pushed aside, finally the source of the noise was revealed to the group, the Large Ork, clad in what looked like thick steel plates over large Imperial Guard fatigues, their colour a dark ashen grey.
Standing at almost 8' tall and extremely muscular, the Greenskin smiled happily, an expression almost unbecoming of his features
"oi, you lot aven't seen any naked umies ave yez" his voice, deep and almost gutteral carried a hint of humor when he saw the dead tribesmen and the Kroot Warrior
"ah, you umiez are lucky dis kroot was ere, 'ee did this i'd wager, anyway, dats enuff talkin wifout namez, minez Mizdogg, Barship Ork, Da Warmasta Sent me in ere ta look fer sum sorta treshur but so far all i've found iz a good fight, anyway, what bringz yez into da forest?" the Ork said, clearly much more eloquent than much of his kin, and also whilst he had the stature of a warboss, his manner was entirely 'un-orky' in his desire to talk rather than fight.
that said, the twin linked machinegun and gigantic bayonet that both hung from his armor spoke of a terrible capacity for violence.

Did they build a fucking city in this forest when I was away? Where are all these people coming from?

Looking the ork up and down, I shake my head.
”Actually, the kroot just arrived. I’m guessing you’ve had a run-in with our tribal friends here as well, then. I can't speak for the others, but I've only just arrived here. Hell of an entrance.” I move over to one of the bodies and kneel down next to it, staring at the markings and tattoos that cover the body. This close, it’s clear that these beings are not fully human; a scaly sheen covers much of it’s body, and it’s fingernails are longer and sharper than any humans’. I’ve seen similar creatures on a few occasions, and if they are what I think they are, we’re in a lot of trouble.

Homicidal tribesmen is one thing, but cannibalistic, homicidal tribesmen interbred with a slave race of a Great Old One is something completely different.

Getting to my feet quickly, I glance around the trees warily before addressing the assembled witches, aliens and strange humans before me. ”We’ve stayed too long already; it’s time to move.” I address the ork next. ”You’re welcome to join us, if you wish, though please refrain from making too much noise; the creatures we’ve been attacked by are not to be underestimated, and they’re damned good hunters. What’s more, their markings mean I can’t detect them.”

Beginning to move off into the trees, I motion for the others to follow. The Tcho-Tcho know who we are now, and doubtless they’ll be tracking us. They’re not ones to let lunch run off without much of a fight.

Fuck, this is going to be one of those days...

Grumpy informs Mizdogg that he has only just arrived in Iwaku, before investigating one of the corpses of the tribesmen. Recognising them as Tcho-Tcho, a race of humans interbred with an alien race and known for their cannibalism, Grumpy begins to hurry the group away from the clearing, inviting the ork to join them.

Status
Not open for further replies.