The Elder Invasion: CHAPTER 3 - Anirune Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Anirune Forest - CHAPTER 3

THE CHAMBER, RUINS OF THE MATURE TOWER

"Of course, there is a way to see if Paorou is in fact alive, and responsible for these Elders." Tegan's eyes catch mine, and she looks at me intently.

"Go to Insanity."

I stop moving, just staring at the woman, taken aback that she'd even suggest something as insane as a trip to Insanity. But suddenly Myrnodyn's speaking too, and he seems to think this is a fucking great idea, asking who wishes to join him in travelling to the realm of the Red King.

Seriously, these fucking people.

As Myrnodyn begins to walk away, I move after him and grab him my the shoulder, pulling him round to face me. I've had it with these people today; it's one mad scheme after another.
"I'm sorry, but have you gone COMPLETELY FUCKING INSANE?!" I yell at him, and turn on Tegan as well, "And you as well! Have you lost your fucking mind or something? Do you people even realise what it is you're suggesting?" I turn and address the assembled freed prisoners. "Insanity isn't just somewhere you go for a jaunty little fuckin' afternoon stroll to! It's the realm formed from possibly the most deranged mind in the history of Iwaku! There's only one Knight who's ever been nuts enough to even venture there, and he never even came back!

"Are are no rules in Insanity. See those concepts you call time? Gravity? Air? They don't need to exist there! The only law is that there are none! This is, of course, forgetting to mention the Baker Cult, the extremely inhospitable climate, and the fact that Mrynodyn's teleporting may well get us all killed! And supposing Paorou survived, you're basically suggesting we go and fuckin' chat with him! With the Mad King of Insanity!"
I turn back to face Myrnodyn and Tegan, glaring at the two of them. "So allow me to reiterate; have you both gone stark raving mad simultaineously, or are you just feeling a little suicidal today?"

Grant doesn't think a visit to Insanity is a good idea. He politely tells Myrn and Tegan what he thinks of their opinions.

"I think it's a stellar idea!" Jack said, coming up behind Grant and patting him on the back Obskeree hovering over his shoulder, looking troubled. "We've lost people, a lot of people because of those Elders." He went on, a more serious tone taking his words. "I'm not sure I believe that Paorou is behind this.. but if he is I want to know why."

Jack took a couple of steps away from the three, and looked up at the sky "And don't worry, I don't think we're gonna have to risk teleporting." He said as the great teknikkan ship descended from the clouds. "Oooooo" Obskeree added.

"I'm going to Insanity, you're all welcome to join me. And if you are there I will do my best to protect you." He said, turning round to face them, the ship descending behind him, causing his cloak to flutter in the wind.

"Call me insane all you want Grant. but I think Insanity is where the story wants us to go, and if that is the case, then I feel we will be granted at least a fleeting safety in those lands. After that.. well.. you've always got me!" He grinned at them before turning and strolling towards the ship, whose hatch was opening, Obskeree fluttering after him.

[Jack explains he is going to Insanity and tells Tegan Myrn and Grant that he will protect them. A Teknikkan ship descends and lands.]

Myrn drew closer to the doctor, Ignoring Jacks kind and excited words as he GREW. Physically grew until he could look him in the eye, one man to another. "You know what...'DR.' Grant?" Myrnodyn spat out the words, little drops of spittle reaching the doctors face. "FUCK....YOU...." He pushed grant away from him and edged closer again keeping a careful eye on the other Iwaku knight nearby. "You and your precious Iwaku Knights can ALL go fuck themselves for all I care. I've just received the BEST fucking hint I've ever had to end this motherfucking war and I'm going to DAMN FUCKING WELL pursue it even if it WILL cost me my fucking life."

The scientist shoved a finger under the doctors nose and pointed menacingly, his face inches from the Iwakuan knight as he continued unloading. "You have your mouthful of lost comrades and tragedies you went through to safeguard this world. Well, you know what? I saw my entire fucking PEOPLE destroyed in a massive genocide! THOUSANDS of corpses piling upon each other, and I knew EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM. FAMILY died there. LOVED ONES! And I did not see it happen once....I SAW IT FUCKING HAPPEN TWICE! RIGHT UNDER MY NOSE!"

Myrnodyn shoved him away again and then turned his back to him, a disgusted look on his face as he walked back to where he had been planning to teleport. "I don't CARE if you want to go to insanity or not, and I don't give a rats ass if ANYONE does...I was just kind enough to offer anyone a ride, since I'm going there anyway. AND IF YOU DON'T FUCKING LIKE IT, YOU CAN GO TAKE YOUR KNIGHTS AND HAVE A LITTLE CIRCLE JERK OVER YOUR FANCY LITTLE BANNERS!...I'm done with you...now FUCK OFF..."

Myrn now turned his head away as well, seething with the rage he had kept bottled up for nearly two decades now, simply waiting if other voices would pipe up or if he would only be bringing Tegan along.

(Summary: Myrn goes ballistic)

A gunshot echoed and a bullet screamed above Myrnodyn's head as Uriel exploded in a fit of rage of his own
"YOU STUPID SELFISH CUNT" he screeched, all decorum and manners forgotten in his rage
"YOU LOST A CITY, A RACE, WE'VE WATCHED THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING IN IT WIPED OUT, WE'VE SEEN THE WORLD END BILLIONS GONE IN INSTANTS, YOUR SHIFTER CASTLE AND ITS DESTRUCTION WAS AND IS NOTHING TO THE HORRORS WE HAVE WITNESSED, AND IF YOU SO MUCH AS ARGUE OR OTHERWISE OPEN YOUR MOUTH TO DO ANYTHING BUT OFFER GRANT YOUR APOLOGY THE NEXT BULLET IS BETWEEN YOUR EYES, UNDERSTOOD? OR IS THAT TOO COMPLEX AN ULTIMATUM TO BREACH YOUR THICK SKULL" he screamed, smoke pouring from his face, his skin alive as if worms crawled beneath it

in his anger, he dropped the pistol, grabbing Myrnodyn with both hands and slamming his face into the Regent's their eyes millimetres apart

"don't you ever dare try that 'what I've lost' story with us, We lived what you now experience, for years we saw the world destroyed piece by fucking piece you speak of loved ones, we too watched ours die, our impotent grief choking us" Uriel began to growl, but the two were savagely ripped apart, each struggling for breath as a massive hand clamped down on their wind pipe and lifted them off the ground

"Enough bickering, enough crying, we go to Insanity, We go to the Mad King and we stop him, nothing else matters, and it never has" The Warmaster decreed, eyes locking with those of Grant Page releasing both Uriel and Myrnodyn as he finished, and Grant could see that all three would soon be tearing each other to pieces if nothing was done.

The tension rises as Uriel rises to Myrnodyn's bait, the Necromancer loosing all sense in a tidal wave of rage.

WMD looses his temper with the two and tells everyone they are going to insanity, whether they like it or not.

Tegan nodded to Myrnodyn, glad for the help. "I'll go with you." Though she tried not to think of the risk involved in teleporting.

"And you as well! Have you lost your fucking mind or something? Do you people even realise what it is you're suggesting?"

Her eyes widened a fraction when Grant suddenly burst forth with rage. She felt her heart skip a beat. She had already seen the man's explosive temper, however it had not yet been directed at her. The man was certainly explosive, which is what mostly shocked Tegan. However, it soon wore off, and Tegan regained her composure. She had endured far worse than an angry man in the past.

"Grant, calm down."

Before Tegan could continue, Jack chimed in.

"I think it's a stellar idea!" Jack said, coming up behind Grant and patting him on the back Obskeree hovering over his shoulder, looking troubled. "We've lost people, a lot of people because of those Elders." He went on, a more serious tone taking his words. "I'm not sure I believe that Paorou is behind this.. but if he is I want to know why."

Tegan was relieved and secretly thankful to Jack. He had said it better than she ever could, and his optimism was quickly diffusing the situation.

"You know what...'DR.' Grant?" Myrnodyn spat out the words, little drops of spittle reaching the doctors face. "FUCK....YOU...."

"YOU STUPID SELFISH CUNT"

Well so much for that situation.

"Enough bickering, enough crying, we go to Insanity, We go to the Mad King and we stop him, nothing else matters, and it never has."

The irony of the madman making the most sense out of them did not escape her. Tired of all the fighting, Tegan and Myrn turned and headed for the ship.

As Myrn stormed past her, Tegan paused mid-step from following Jack and Myrn, and turned to look at Grant from over her shoulder.

"Jack is right: We will go because this is where we are being guided. And that is how things are simply done." Something was sparkling behind her eyes, something that had not been there before. All at once, her demeanor changed from stoic and detached to something very commanding and very old.

"Why wait for these Elders to tear apart all that we know? We are the only ones who are witness to this, we are responsible for finding the answers, now." She did not recognize the voice speaking through her. Did not understand what she was saying, why she was saying it. Had she not only desired to return to her home, all this time?

This was not her speaking, thinking. And yet it was. It was her, though she could not explain how she knew anymore than she could explain how now home seemed so far away.

"If you do not wish to come with us," Tegan turned her back to Grant and followed Myrn and Jack to the ship that suddenly descended. (Or was it supposed to be there all along?) "At least return to the crash site, tell the others what you saw."

The some of the others gathered into groups, discussing on whether or not they should go, others more resolute, deciding right away if they were to go or not.

As those who wished to go to Insanity boarded the ship, Myrnodyn managed to teleport the others to the crash site. It took several trips, but he was able to do it safely.

Tegan watched the doors to the hatch close, heard the mechanical whir of the engines, felt the anticipation of those around her, silent in her own thoughts.

The Teknikkan ship left the ground once more, and set course for The Mirror, leaving the Mature Tower and the sunset behind.

Summary:

Tegan watches Myrn and Grant fight, before giving her parting thoughts to the man. Porg is helpful. WMD is threatening. I quote a lot of posts. Myrn manages to take those who want to go to the crash site, back, those who wish to go else where go on their own. Those who wished to go to Insanity boarded the ship with Tegan, Myrn and Porg. *

Acqua looked at Zypher, interested as he divulged a little information that the others seemed to be unaware of. She nodded and winked with a smile, willing to keep his secret of being from the AFTA space station as he went off to the others. Acqua, seeing as Myrn was talking of teleporting to Insanity, was interested, considering going back to Iwaku City would only result in bad things happening to her weak self without anyone to defend her. Also, she really wanted to know if this Paorou dude was dead, and if Megane could be revived, so she waited for Myrnodyn to go outside before joining the others.

"Um, I'm not entirely sure..if you just head in one direction for a long enough time you should see it, or you could end up on the wrong side of the forest and circle around the coast..." Archy stated.

"Ooh, it would be nice if there were a yellow brick road," Acqua stated in a sing-song fashion. "We're off to see the grand Paorou, in the wonderful place of Insanity," Acqua sang light-heartedly as she walked over to Myrn, about to say something just as an argument began.

And then suddenly, an argument broke out and Myrn had had it. Acqua, backing away from Myrn watched as the two/three parties argued and Tegan tried to make peace before boarding the Tekknikan Ship to Insanity that had landed.

"That's strange." Nic watched as the Elder crawled into the forest and into obscurity. The gigantic spider retreated without firing a shot or destroying anything - while relieving, Nic still deemed it an ominous sign. The group of Marines that had broken off previously reunited with Nic's squad, now that the danger had passed.

"That's a relief, I freaking say." One of the Marines replied. He continued, "Horst to Yellowjacket, we're clear here."

Nic turned his eyes towards the sky to see the arrival of an Imperial Shuttle. "Switch to local channels, Corporal. This dustoff seems a little too quick for my tastes." He connected a cable to his helmet as his comrades went about their business, some observing the arriving ship's movements.

Several transmissions pierced Nic's ear as he completed the connection. "Listen to this..." Nic muttered.

"...inn, ISAF survivor, broadcas......equencies, come in." Nic raised an eyebrow. "ISAF survivor? Seems like they got screwed over bad over there. Any leads on this one?"

"No. We can no longer track the signal."

"Well. Let's see what this big boy is up to." Nic continued to listen to his helmet-mounted radio.

"...Stork 19 to all units. I have survivors on visual. Repeat, we have confirmed visual on survivors. We are preparing for extraction......the hatch! Now!"

"I have a bad feeling that shuttle is going somewhere else. Let's move!" Nic exclaimed, at which point he leapt up and ran towards the Mature Tower. The other Marines followed.

Before the group could reach the shuttle, it rose and left, flying in the direction of Insanity. One of the Marines stopped to open communications.

"Horst to Yellowjacket, requesting permission to speak freely. Where is that shuttle headed... Stork 19, was it? Yes. Insanity? I see..."

It rang in Nic's mind. Insanity. What could possibly still be of worth there? He looked to the ground where the shuttle landed, to find another group of people standing and conversing. Of the individuals gathered, Nic recognized the figure of a Space Marine.

He ran up to the group with his retinue and asked, "So... anyone mind telling me what happened here? And are you coming with us to the land of Insanity?"

Horst looked up to the sky again to see more landing craft, and then gave a pat on Nic's right shoulder. "Our next rides are coming. Make it quick with your native pals, Captain."

-----------------------------

SUMMARY: The operation ends prematurely, at which point Nic and company try to find out who was hanging around in the Mature Tower. He meets those the ship left behind.

The Neake glanced around inside the ship and knew in that moment he couldn't do it. He couldn't be there. He moved to Jack and pulled him to the side.

"I can not go to this 'Insanity' with you. It would seperate me too much from where I belong." He plucked a feather from one of his wings and pressed it into Jack's palm.

"You're leaving us? But we might need you!" Obskeree exclaimed.

"You will be fine. These individuals you surround yourself with are capable. I'll be waiting for you to return. And if you need help, Jack, you can always pray. I will be able to hear you while you hold that feather."

"What happened to protecting us?"

The Neake sighed. "I am not retracting that. But I cannot go to Insanity. Goodbye, Jack." He reached out and touched Obskeree's face with a finger. "I'll be with you again soon, little one."

Then he was gone, back to the temple in Porg's Meadow, before Jack could say a word.

Obskeree exhaled, deflating a bit. "Oh."

[The Neake says goodbye for now and returns to the temple. It puts Obskeree in a bad mood as she travels with the others to Insanity.]

ANIRUNE FOREST

So they're going to Insanity anyways.

Fucking brilliant.

I suppose someone's gonna have to look after them, then.

"Tegan's right," I say to the three already at each others' throats, "And killing each other isn't gonna fuckin' help." I turn and look at the group, and speak quietly this time. "If your plan's to go to Insanity, I won't stop you. Just be aware of what it is you're signing yourself up for, alright? Now, Uriel?" I look over at the man, "A word, please."

I lead my comrade slightly away from the group, with people already moving towards the ship, and sigh again.

"I'm going with them, Uriel.

"And before you object, don't. Seriously. Crazy as it is, there's a certain insane logic to what they're saying. If Paorou's back, and responsible for this, we need to stop him. Not sure exactly how we're gonna do that,"
I say with a smirk, "But I'll figure something out. Always do. I need you to stay here and rally the Knights. Get everyone, I mean everyone, together. Start recruiting, too. If this doesn't work, you're gonna need a shit-ton of manpower to take the fight to the Elders. They're not invincible; we just haven't found their weak spot yet."

I reach out, and shake Uriel's hand, before pulling him into a hug. "Catch you on the battlefield, brother."

With that, I turn, and move towards the ship, climbing aboard just as the doors are beginning to shut.
"Room for one more?" I say, looking over at Tegan, "If you guys are hellbent on getting yourself killed, them I'm gonna come along to try and keep you all alive."

Grant decides to go to Insanity with the others, though it doesn't sit well with him. He asks Uriel to stay behind and rally the Knights in case the trip to Insanity fails.

The Grandmaster smiled, half bemused beneath his helmet, Humans and their fears always getting the better of them. He'd walked the land of Madness before, seen what utter chaos could do to a world. To him this Insanity was no different than any other battlefield he'd fought in since becoming a Grey Knight. Still, the horrors a Grey Knight had to endure regularly would have shattered the minds of anyone else, save perhaps Warmaster Death, he could understand their desire for caution.

This arguing was pointless, and got everyone nowhere. he was about to step in to stop it but The Warmaster had beaten him to the punch. Luckily for them the Warmaster seemed less inclined to use concussive force to settle disputes then he was.

"Finally the voice of reason breaks out," He said when The Warmaster spoke "With all respect to your respective concerns, I really don't care what's in this 'Insanity" place as I've likely seen it before on countless battlefields, Although if we could make a detour to re-supply our chances of survival would increase."

Zypher sighed as the cat-person attempted to explain to him how to get to Iwaku City, but it only succeeded in confusing him more. As he tried to make heads or tails of what she had said a giant craft landed and people began boarding, from what Zypher had gathered from the argument between two of the other people he hadn't met they were trying to head to a place called 'Insanity.' Well that doesn't seem like a good place to be...Besides I don't think Diana-No-Kami would want me to investigate there...

As the craft lifted off Zypher tossed his arm up to cover his eyes and suddenly a good chunk of the people standing there had gone, off to Insanity and Zypher couldn't help but giggle in the irony in the statement. As he looked around he realized that the Faramond person he had met earlier was missing, and could quite have possibly known the way to Iwaku City. He took one more look around his surroundings and sighed, Well if I came from that direction and I know Iwaku City isn't that way I guess I'll just have to... His thoughts were interrupted by another group of people charging into the clearing. Something in his gut made him want to approach the group but instead he walked calmly away, acting as if he hadn't seen them at all, heading directly towards the tree line nearby.

Zypher gets confused by the directions Archy left him and decides to just follow the direction he was walking earlier, remembering Faramond and thinking he might know how to get to the city. He stays long enough in the clearing to watch the ship leave and Nic and his group arrive. He chooses to not get involved with Nic and walks towards the trees.

Footsteps. Faramond looked back and saw nothing but trees and other foliage. He stopped and waited to see if someone's coming at him. The footsteps didn't stop, however, so Faramond thought whoever is making those footsteps isn't trying to stalk him. He thus, went on walking.

The footsteps, however, grew louder and louder until Faramond thought that whoever is following him is just right behind him.

"If you want to kill me, just go ahead," Faramond said, "Just make sure you shoot me in the head though."

Insanity. That was where Asmodeus was now. Of all the places to go in the world, that did not strike Palonis as a wise place to stay. However, he had no choice. Having made his way onto the top of the treeline, he was able to sight enough landmarks to navigate by. And so, with a focus of will, the ninja closed his eyes and...

Pain. Sharp, hot, and sudden agony erupted in Palonis's chest, nearly causing him to tumble from his perch atop a tree. He could feel the reason why. His body was nearly beyond his control, and attempting to focus his inner soul power revealed to him that said soul almost did not exist anymore. He was being turned, and it was going to happen soon. Clearly, there was no time to waste.

Sliding down from the tree with a frenzied pace, he ran over to where a group was congregating. He didn't know who they were, but he saw soon enough that the group was not made up of Noobs, because they were using transport ships. As he ran up, one of them closed its doors and lifted off, leaving the ninja standing on the ground. He had to get aboard. With a speed born out of desperation, he charged forward and leapt onto the roof of the craft, grabbing hold with a deathgrip as it rose into the sky and blasted off towards Insanity.

He had to speak to Asmodeus, while there was still time. Nothing else mattered as of the moment, and he wouldn't have to worry about apologizing to whoever owned the ship, because no matter what happened, he probably wouldn't care.

Zypher crashed through the underbrush in the forest, blissfully unaware of his surroundings until he heard a familiar voice just around the tree ahead.

"If you want to kill me, just go ahead. Just make sure you shoot me in the head though." Zypher barely withheld a long sigh as he stepped around to find Faramond.

"Faramond, what did we talk about? If you're not nice to strangers you might miss out on making an actual friend!" He patted Faramond on his shoulder and looked around the forest. "So where are you headed? I hope it's to Iwaku City. This is the right way right?" Still paying attention Zypher began to attempt to climb one of the trees, he figured that if he got a better view he might be able to see the city.

"Faramond, what did we talk about? If you're not nice to strangers you might miss out on making an actual friend!" The stranger who turned out to be Zypher patted Faramond on his shoulder and looked around the forest.

Faramond turned around and saw a grinning Zypher and wondered if Zypher was grinning with him or at him. Somehow, Faramond wanted to bash that cheerful grin out of Zypher's face but all Faramond did was to nod at Zypher to let him go ahead of him.

"So where are you headed? I hope it's to Iwaku City. This is the right way right?" Still paying attention Zypher began to attempt to climb one of the trees, he figured that if he got a better view he might be able to see the city.

"Yeah, I am headed towards the city," Faramond replied, "And hopefully find my other companions I got separated from during that ruckus in ShapeShifter town."

Faramond looked up at Zypher who is trying to see the city from the treetop, "Better be careful up there, for I will never catch you if you fall," he mumbled and went ahead.

Only a few steps ahead, for Faramond looked back nevously at Zypher, "Come on down now. You might break a leg if you're not careful! Besides, having to carry you the rest of the way isn't going to make us arrive there any faster."

"Don't worry, it's just north-east of here. If we just take note of our directions, we should be fine."

"Damn! And why do I have to go with this psychotic grinning guy?! Geez!" Faramond sighed and started walking, "Hurry up, will you?!"

Zypher looked back at the ground as he scampered up the tree, having heard Faramond say something quietly and heading away. Zypher shrugged and began to climb back down he heard Faramond, "Come on down now. You might break a leg if you're not careful! Besides, having to carry you the rest of the way isn't going to make us arrive there any faster."

With a smirk Zypher jumped down the rest of the way, "Don't worry I won't get hurt!" He smiled as he dusted himself off and began walking alongside Faramond, "North-east huh? So what's the deal with this shapeshifter town?"

"It's a town of shapeshifters. Duh." Faramond seemed to be a bit short and temperamental. He was completely killing Zypher's mood as well and Zypher didn't take kindly to it, but at least he was being informative, "All sorts of weird creatures lived there until the elder invasion now it's just a big pile of rubble. Wait, why are you asking me so many questions?!"

Zypher was concerned about his secret getting leaked more now. He quickly took out his pistol and fired at the ground just in front of Faramond's feet. He gave a large grin to the man and shrugged. "Just want to keep you on your feet!" With a chuckle he began to walk ahead, his gun re-holstered and his hands behind his head, a happy tune being whistled. "Well come on then! We want to make it to Iwaku City before too late right?"

Just as soon as he finished speaking, Zypher fired shots at the ground just next to his feet. Faramond glared back at Zypher who simply gave him a large grin, "Just want to keep you on your feet!"

"God, or whoever is up there, please give me the patience to deal with this prick," Faramond sighed and walked on, "If not that, at least make us reach the city before I lose my patience."

The two trudged on in silence after that, with Zypher grinning at Faramond who is scowling back at Zypher.

And as if Faramond's wish was granted, the two soon saw the edge of the forest, and the flickering light of the bonfires of the refugee settlement located in a hill just ahead. Just beyond the settlement, however, and lit by the dying sunlight, the ruins of what was once South Gate can be seen.

"Gawd. What the fuck happened over there?"

Without as much as a look at Zypher, Faramond ran towards the settlement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
summary:
zypher and faramond soon reaches the edge of the forest only to see the destruction in south gate and the refugee settlement in a hill just outside the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.