The Elder Invasion: CHAPTER 2 - Shapeshift Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Shapeshift Town - CHAPTER 2

Arachnion walked through shapeshifter town, tired and beaten up from the events of the previous night. His jacket was slightly torn, there were some cuts on his face, and a patch or two of soot from the occasional explosion.

Getting out of Anirue Forest had been a bit of an adventure, one that consisted primarily of running for his life. After he and the others had gotten out of the elevator shaft, they had a bit of a rough time with the GIANT ROBOT SPIDERS.

Seriously.

What the hell was the universe smoking.

Still, he had plans in case of this sort of thing. Admittedly, plans that never got past the drawing board due to the shapeshifter scientists not having enough money to do everything (another problem that needed to be fixed), but plans nonetheless.

He'd need to talk to Mryn first. The business with Grace was strange, and he was in charge of funding for archy's plans...

The guards at Shapeshifter Castle's outer wall were familiar to him. He talked a bit, got a brief summary of the events of the previous day, wondered slightly at the nuclear weapons discharge, and then channeled arcane energies into his fist, punching a basketball-sized hole in the great wooden doors right where the locking bar went. When the guards asked him what the hell he was doing and why he was blowing up a door when it was unlocked already, he simply shrugged and mentioned the magically reinforced steel doors that some of the mages had made. This was as good a reason to replace the wooden doors with better ones as any.

'sides, it was in his way.

Immediately after stepping across the threshold, he yelled for Mryn at the top of his lungs, a sort of fire in his eyes. It really set the tone more than anything else.

((Archy arrives in shapeshifter town, blows a chunk out of the castle door, then yells for mryn.))

Soulless nearly jumped out of his own skin when the door exploded beside him, out came a stranger who seemed quite interesting. He was tired, as if he had just come from the large fight. It probably included the events that he had unfortunately missed. Perhaps he could ask the man what was going on. He found that a good idea. The man seemed a little busy and a little worse for the wear, as well as detemined to go somewhere, but that did not stop him from jumping up and giving him a hug from behind.

The stranger was yelling a name that did not register to his ears, but instead hurt them. Why would he shout so loudly? There was no reason to do that. He covered one ear with one arm while the other continues his rather affectionate hug. "Hello!" He spoke happily, his grin seemed out of place in this town where chaos had just ensued. However, he didn't seem to notice the feeling of the town. He radiated his own joy that permeated any sense of anxiety or sadness or panic.

"What's your name? Could you tell me what's happened here?" He asked curiously, scanning the town. "I heard that fun stuff was happening here, but I don't see anything fun now..."

"Hello!"

Archy looked over at the boy who was talking to him. Strange kid, eyepatch and all. The kid went on about fun stuff happening in town.
"Huh? That's..not what I would normally call fun. In short, this town has been attacked by GIANT ROBOT SPIDERS, hit with a nuclear weapon in order to destroy said GIANT ROBOT SPIDERS, saved by Asmodeus, of all people, wielding the sheathe of iwaku, and been hit by a train. All in all, a pretty exciting day for this already strange town."

He paused for a moment before going on.
"Also...my robot daughter is convinced I murdered a sister she doesn't have, kidnapped some random guy, and there are even more giant robot spiders on the way. Name's Arachnion, shapeshifter scientist and mage."
He extended a hand for Soulless to grasp.
"Care to tell me who you are?"

"Name's Soul." The boy spoke, being careful not to give his whole name. He took the man's hand happily in his sleeved one, his untied straitjacket sleeves being far too long for him to grasp him with his bare hands. Of course, it meant his dexterity was quite low, but why would he mind a thing like that? When Arachnion went on about what had happened, the boy merely smiled, his silver eye just a little too wide, expressing an insanity that was very deep, almost everything he was.

"I think that sounds very fun." He responded to the entire scenario. Of course it sounded fun. A child of the Insanity Realm, there was no reason why such a thing was not entertaining to him. He loved the chaos, the destruction and the strange things that happened in this world. Why would he think such a thing as not fun? However, he did not question the relatively reasonable views of the scientist/mage beside him.

However, the man mentioned Asmodeus. Was he still alive? He had thought..."Asmodeus? Where is he?" He asked curiously, just so he would know where the man was. He would pay the man a visit soon enough, curious. He had thought he died long ago... How long had he been away? He sighed softly at the thought. "What're you gonna do now, Arachnion?" He asked curiously, before a grin smiled upon his expression, just a little too large for his face. "Can I come?"

"Nice to meet you, Soul." Strange boy. Straightjackets were not usually a fashion statement. And his eyes...The uncovered one looked more disturbed than anything else.
"Really doesn't sound too fun...but I don't think anyone died, so then I guess it would be kinda fun. Personally looking forward to when I can fight the GIANT ROBOT SPIDERS with something their own size. Asmo's off..I dunno, probably somewhere inside the main section of the castle." He shrugged and walked on, the boy following after him.
"As for me...I'm going to see if I can get in touch with the father of my robot girl, and then..." He smirked a bit. "I think I'll see how fun I can make things. Might take a bit of warmup, but if I can get things running they should be rather exciting. Come if you want."

Soulless listened to the explanations with a happiness that denies the situation. "Well Arachnion I can take care of the spiders easily." He replied, striking a playful pose with his slender and fragile-looking body. He looked like he would be knocked flat by the spiders, in all honesty. Maybe if the wind blew too hard he might even be pushed around, or so that was how he looked. However, his physical strength was not his weapon. Instead, there was a little bit of play within his blood, quietly awaiting for battle at all times, where every cell was a soldier on standby.

He would visit Asmodeus soon. For now, he wanted to follow this strange man and figure out what was going on and if he could have more fun, for that was definitely what he wanted to do. Although his smile was meant to be mischievous, for that was his current emotion, it came out, as every other emotion on his face, a little disturbed and a little more disturbing. "What's the father of the robot girl like?" He asked curiously. "How is Asmodeus?" He asked, the second questioning containing a bit of an edge. Truth be told, the idea of Asmodeus alive and breathing frightened a boy such as him, even so, he wanted to visit the man and see how he was doing. His eager curiosity made him tempted to turn around and visit the man he knew from the past.

But he forced himself to stay on the mage's tail, following him to wherever he was going.

The popping sound of sudden air replacement alerted the guards and some of the other people assorted in the main hall to the arrival of the shapeshifter chancellor. Heads turned and conversations quieted down briefly as the bi-pedal puppy turned towards the guards and softly asked where he could find Anton.

Onlookers saw the guard speaking softly and nodding in the direction of the makeshift infirmary where Grant had been taking care of the wounded of the last battle. Myrnodyn walked over to the corner, and as he did he began to grow. His paws stretched out into long and slim fingers, while his legs pushed an expanding torso further upwards. The fur on his body receded, seemingly disappearing inside the skin as long hair started curling from his scalp and a rough scraggly beard formed on the creatures chin.

briefly testing his reformed muscles while his clothing stretched out to accommodate his new form, Myrnodyn looked around the area until his eyes found what he was looking for. Stepping up to Anton he forced his face to replace the frown it was wearing with a pleasant smile.

"It seems you've been getting the wrong impression about your stay here." The scientist told the young apprentice in as pleasant a tone of voice as he could manage. "The guard told me you were under the impression that you were a prisoner here, but I assure you, you are free to go whenever you want..."

Myrnodyn briefly looked to the side, as if debating something, and then motioned Anton to get closer, as if divulging a secret. As the apprentice moved closer and leaned in, he whispered. "Truth is though, I have a request for you. Asmodeus is here, but you already knew that I suppose. He's also in a pretty bad shape, his mind seems... troubled. In between his ravings I got the distinct impression that he was trying to warn me about something, a threat to the entirety of Iwaku. He also dropped your name, and another name right after it. Abdiel."

Myrnodyn looked that the young man in front of him, waiting for him to start speaking. When an answer to his unspoken question didn't immidiatly follow he sighed and went on.

"I need to know who or what this Abdiel is. If the world is in danger, I need to go save it. The fates know I failed last time." The last bit was mumbled but audible, and a slight bit of sadness had slid through his composure.

"If you are truly Palonis' apprentice, you will help me end this threat. I promise you I only act in the best interest of us all."

OOC:
Myrnodyn arrives in the main hall, talks to a guard and then steps up to Anton, shifting into his human form in the process. He appeals to Anton's pride in an effort to get him to tell what 'Abdiel' is exactly.

At the main gate of Shapeshifter Castle, a full squad of Shapeshifters had gathered, priming TF guns and looking through the half-ruined doorway after Arachnion.

"I think we're getting the fallout crazies," muttered the guard sergeant as he prepared to track down Arachnion. But before he could give the order he was interrupted by a voice.

"Alright, alright, stand down you lot."

Turning, the guards stiffened but then relaxed as they recognised one of the men following after Arachnion. He was dressed in purple, with a distinctive travelling hat.

"Master Crane?" said the sergeant, "We weren't expecting..."

"Yeah, it's one of those days." Tyler interrupted. He waved the guards aside, his pace somewhat unsteady. It was clear that he was wounded, as was the other man beside him, a well-dressed gentlemen with pale skin and long black hair.

"Do you have an infirmary set up?" rasped the voice of Necromaniac Grumpy.

The sergeant nodded, "In the main hall."

The guards stood aside as Tyler Crane and Grumpy stepped through the ruined doorway. "Where is Myrnodyn?" asked TC, "We were witnesses to the first attack. I need to speak to him immediately."

The sergeant scowled. "You and everyone else in the goddam castle, Sir."

As they moved down the hallway into the inner castle, Grumpy stumbled a little, catching Tyler's arm for support.

"You alright?"

The Necromaniac seemed to be wheezing as he drew breath. But he managed a smile and regained his balance. In one of his hands he was clutching a few stones, which seemed pale and cracked.

"It's not just Spiders we're fighting... something's wrong... very wrong..."

Tyler frowned, watching as Grumpy leant on his staff and continued onwards, seeming paler with every step.

"My link to the Dead Realms is being disrupted. I can't find the right souls... only the wrong ones... all the wrong ones are coming through..."

"What does that mean?"

Grumpy managed another chuckle, "Means I haven't got long to do what I came here to do..."

"Which is...?"

"Find an old friend," croaked the Necromancer as he followed the line of refugees towards the infirmary. "Find an old friend."

He dropped his useless Soul-Stones to the floor, letting them roll away into the darkness.

[SUMMARY: Grumpy and TC aren't far behind Arachnion, and they help smooth over the ruffled feathers. As they enter the castle, Grumpy reveals that he is growing weaker with each passing minute. It seems the arrival of the Elders has disrupted his link to the souls of the dead from which he draws his power]

"Really? Good for you! But not everyone can fight them, so I've got to give them the tools to do so." He slowly opened a door, noted that Mryn wasn't in the room, and closed it quietly.
"Her father's more serious than I am, and he's usually pretty busy with stuff. After all that's happened today there's no chance of him being in his office..." A brief glance around the hallway revealed that they were alone, so he slowly unlatched the door before kicking it the rest of the way in.

The room was empty, so they went on walking.
"I honestly don't know about Asmodeus. Never really followed the guy. What have you been up to?"

Soulless had to hesitate before answering Arachnion's question. He had wandered from Insanity to find a new place to stay, unable to find someone to follow or a mentality to worship. He only had his other half staying with him. As if on instinct, his hand rubbed at his eyepatch again with an almost nostalgic look on his face. Perhaps then, his true age was shown. He remembered, barely, the chaos that was before this, back when he was fighting the war and killing as he pleased. His entire body shook once as he forced himself back into reality just as his good friend had kicked a door.

He smiled and tried to do something similar to another door, but his strength was very weak and so he could not do anything but make a semi-loud 'bang' throughout the hallway. He instead followed the mage, curious as to what this father was like. It seemed everyone was rushing around even though nothing bad was currently happening. What a strange way to react to something that had already happened! He answered after a time. "Me? I came here when I heard about the fun stuff going on. I travel around, looking for a place to stay." He smiled. He was looking for a new Insanity to revel in, one that did not hold so many painful memories or contain a ruler that had forgotten how to be truly insane.

"We should see Asmo after you find the girl's father." He suggested, when in reality it was just he that wanted to see with his own eyes if such a lie was truth. Now that he thought about it, hadn't the man mentioned that he was the father of this robot girl, but he was going to see the robot girl's father? She had two fathers? He blinked once at this realization and for a moment all worries about his past were forgotten.

"Hey, how do you get pregnant?"

"Eh, not too interested in Asmo myself, but i'll go if you want."
Then of course the kid asked how he got pregnant.

"Well, she's not really our daughter, per se...we built her. Mryn's a father because he's male, and I'm a father on the off chance that I am male. Though I suppose I could get pregnant, I'm not exactly planning on it anytime."

"...How do you get pregnant?" Soulless repeated his question, his one silver eye very very curious as he stared at the scientist. He had originally thought this guy as a male but now he wasn't so sure. He had never known a person that could be both a male and a female. It made him quite intrigued. He started staring at the man curiously, trying to look for clues of a feminine figure. However, he couldn't find one single clue! He even swore the man had a bump in his pants like all men should!

"I thought guys don't get pregnant..."

"Well they don't. But I can be a woman if I want. Makes parties interesting, you know." Archy scratched the back of his neck.
" 'course, on the downside, it makes pronouns hell to deal with. But it's fun to mess with people, and it makes getting dates easier."

He kept walking for a bit, staying silent briefly to think.
"Why are you so interested in Asmodeus, anyways?"

Soulless nodded, not understanding but choosing not the question the man, or was he a man now? He shook his head to clear himself of questioning thoughts. He didn't want to confused himself. How did being able to switch from woman to man make dating easier? Having never dated or even tried to understand the concept of dating, such ideas were lost to his simply mind. What he did understand was that this scientist had more to him than meets the eye, but first to dodge this narrow bullet.

For if he told the truth, it may be offensive. "I... I..." He tried to think of an easy lie, but such a lie, even as it fell from his lips, was easy to see that it was completely false and as far from the truth as possible. He was a very, very terrible liar. "He is my favorite of the heros. I always wanted to see him." He forced himself an obviously fake smile, not as large as his usual grin and not as insane as he usually seemed.

When he had been tossed a roll of bandages, Turd immediately walked over to a wounded person and began applying them. He hadn't acclimated himself to disobeying orders, and so the action was mostly reflexive. Not that he minded helping people in need. Palonis's attempts to turn the young summoner into a sociopath hadn't stuck too well, along with almost everything else that the ninja had tried to teach him.

Just as he finished wrapping up a nasty cut on an elderly woman's leg, he heard someone walking steadily up to him, and he turned to see the man he'd yelled at before, wearing a smile that looked forced. Turd listened to Myrnodyn's statement with interest, especially when the chancellor mentioned the word, "Abdiel." This was a word he'd seen in passing many a time, and he knew exactly where he had seen it.

"I do not know what the significance of Abdiel is," Turd spoke in a whisper, edging away from the woman so she wouldn't overhear. "But it was written on the wall of a temple on Mount Iwaku. Master Palonis and I lived there, and we-"

"Mount Iwaku?" Myrnodyn whispered back. "He wants to go there? How are we supposed to do that when the trains aren't running?"

"How am I supposed to know?" Turd replied. "If Master Palonis were here, he could probably teleport us there....." Suddenly, something occurred to the ex-apprentice, and he spoke softly, "I think I know a way to bring the mountain to us. Does your castle have access to the Internet?"

"What do you think?" Gesturing to the stone environs, Myrnodyn hissed, "Does this place look like we're running wires through here?"

Turd had to admit that the dog man had a point. The Spartan accommodations of the castle would clash considerably with any forms of electronics. "Well.....maybe we could find somebody with a computer?"

"Forget it, Anton. Whatever you need the Internet for, it can wait until tomorrow. I've got way too much on my plate to be going around asking people for computers." Turning around as a new pair entered the makeshift clinic, Turd and Myrnodyn both noticed the arrival of Tyler Crane and Grumpy, the latter appearing to be rather run down. "If you'll excuse me," Myrnodyn said at his normal volume, "someone else needs to see me right away."

"Yeah, sure," Turd replied uncomfortably. "I will see if I can find a computer, and then I will talk to you again, correct?"

"Maybe later."

(Summary: Turd and Myrnodyn discuss the meaning of Abdiel, and Turd wants to show Myrn something on the Internet, but made out of stone and metal as it is, Shapeshifter Castle isn't big on wiring and stuff. When TC and Grumpy arrive, Myrn leaves to talk with them, while Turd decides to see whether or not he can find a computer in the castle.)

"I'll let you do the talking," Grumpy said to TC, his voice now charcoal-dry. He patted his comrade on the back then left him, slumping onto one of the seats at the edge of the infirmary. Most of the medics had their hands full, so he would just have to wait.

There might be someone here who could do something for him... but he doubted it.

"Raaagh!! The great Asmoedus returns!!"

"Leave me alone! It's mine!"

Grumpy turned to see a couple of kids running between the infirmary beds. One was wearing a long green scarf and had just been pushed to the ground by a larger kid with plastic wings on his back. He was bullying the smaller boy, trying to pull a lump of wood out of his hands.

"The Sheathe is mine! Asmodeus wins!!!"

"Eur huhr huhr huhr!!"

The winged kid was suddenly kicked in the shin by another boy wearing pyjamas and a ninja mask.

"I killed you once and I'll kill you again!!" shouted the boy, his words muffled by the mask.

"Blocks it! Blocks it!" retorted the winged kid, who started hitting the ninja with the bit of wood.

Meanwhile another boy, dressed as a sailor and smoking a corn-cob pipe, looked on and shook his head. "I go back in time, so nothing happens!"

The two larger kids turned and burst out laughing. "Haha! Wory's dead! The spiders killed you!!"

"Did not!"

"Haha! Wory's dead, Wory's dead!!!"

Suddenly an Asian kid ran past, wearing a big red cape. He stole the piece of wood and ran off across the infirmary.

"HEY THAT'S CHEATING!!"

The kids all chased after the boy in the Paorou-costume, and Grumpy was left with the smaller boy in the green scarf. He had just picked himself up off the floor and was rubbing his face, red with shame.

"You alright, boy?" the Necromaniac asked, leaning on his staff as he sat.

The boy glared then looked at the ground. "I hate Asmoedus. Everyone likes him more than me."

"Why's that?"

"Coz he blocked the nukurler missile," the boy muttered, scuffing his boots on the floor. "Stoopid show-off..."

"Blocked a missile, eh?"

"Yeah," said the boy, suddenly animated, "The missile was gonna kill us all, cos ISAFs are stupid-heads, but Asmoedus stood on the train and made a shield - even after we tried to beat him up. And he killed the Noobermen too. Mommy says the Noobermen were going to vio... viol.. vialeet her, but then Asmoedus saved her. And he jumped out the train too, through the window, and deflected the lahzor! He knew the Spiders were coming cos he read their minds and could see the future, like Wory, who's dead now cos the city got blew up by the Spiders and Asmoedus wasn't there to deflect the lahzors."

Grumpy raised an eyebrow. "I see."

The boy suddenly got excited again, struggling to breathe as he spoke. "But my dad saw what really happened. Jack deflected the lahzor too and told everyone what to do and stopped us beating up Asmo, even though he shouldn't have cos Asmoedus is a big bully and was showing off!"

Grumpy sat back in his seat, contemplating this as he recalled the words of his god, Nyarlathotep, in the Dead Realms.

"Find the Fallen Prince, and judge him. If you find him to have atoned for his crimes, remove his burden."

Resting his hands on the tip of his staff, Grumpy leaned towards the boy again. "I heard Asmodeus was evil - that he killed a lot of people, long ago."

"Nuh-uh!" argued the boy, "He's good now. Daddy's a builder and he says Asmoedus paid for the South Gate. And Asmoedus has knights who help people. And he says sorry... like all the time, even when he hasn't done anything."

Grumpy couldn't help but smile. "Interesting..."

Suddenly, the boy with the fake wings came dashing back, holding the piece of wood above his head as the others chased him. "I've got the Sheathe. I kill everyone!!"

The boy with the scarf leapt onto one of the beds. "I'm in my Meadow - can't touch me! I'm in my Meadow!!"

[SUMMARY: Grumpy leaves TC talking with Myrn and goes to the infirmary. There he finds a kid who tells him about Asmodeus's recent exploits.]

On the next door kicked down, the young wanderer found a bunch of kids in an infirmary. He didn't think much of the sick or wounded. Having rarely suffered from injuries himself, he just as rarely thought for anyone else's pain. Perhaps he could be called selfish for it, not that he would deny such an accusatory claim. However, for a moment he saw not children but instead the actual people they played... and the boy called Asmodeus good.

Immediately he ran and tackled the kid with the angel wings harder than he should, snatching the piece of wood that represented the sheathe. "No! Asmodeus did kill people! Lots of people!" He shouted, conflicting with the child who, in his opinion, spoke lies. "Even though he says sorry it'll never be enough sorries! NEVER!" He continued shouted at the boy, a flare of madness coming within him as well, an ailment of those that seemed immortal. As their bodies remained strong and intact, their minds withered and died, unable to, perhaps, store such vast amounts of memory.

Still without thought (for he didn't think very much), Soulless shoved the piece of wood into the hands of the Asian child with a hint of pride of a job well done. "There." He grinned once more, before he looked around at the kid who was holding what seemed to be a bruising knee because of his tackle. He looked down at the confused kid he had momentarily thought of as his leader, having just realized he had interrupted the game so fiercely... and without meaning.

And what had he called Asmodeus? There would never be enough apologies? A rush of blood came to his face, his clear embarrassment showing in the warmth of his cheeks. "Sorry... I didn't mean to..." He began, stuttering. Suddenly, he felt like he wanted to run out of the room, run from everything and wander somewhere else. Quickly, he sought Arachnion, making a quick dash behind the man and peeking past him, his face a mixture of shame and embarrassment.

((Soulless disagrees with the child fiercely, temporarily losing himself while interrupting the children's game violently. He then cowers behind Arachnion after realizing what he just did.))

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!"

In a flood of tears, the kid with the plastic wings scrambled across the infirmary, screaming for his mother.

The kid in the Paorou cape stood there trembling, holding the peice of wood. The ninja and the sailor hovered behind him, equally wide-eyed. The kid with the scarf hid under the covers of one of the infirmary beds. "My meadow.. my meadow.. safe place... safe..."

Grumpy raised another eyebrow, looking at Arachnion and his strange psychotic child-abusing schizophrenic companion.

"I see you're being productive."

"...Soul, try not to beat up the little annoying symbolic children. They represent our story's future. Literally and figuratively. Well, unless they die." Archy glanced down at the small paorou-child in front of him.
"Listen kid, I'm sorry for Soul here. Just go out with your friends and..play tag or something. The war is still recent history, you'll break someone's heart if you keep doing this." He scratched the back of his head.
"Man, why can't they just play cowboys and indians anymore.." Grumpy's comment caught his attention.
"Why yes, actually. The giant spiders will provide a suitable impetus for me to carry out...PLAN 9! MUWHAHAHAHAhaha ha...ha..heh." The mage coughed slightly, in an attempt to ease the awkwardness from the sudden maniacal laughter.
"But, um, yes. I just need to hunt down Mryn. Seen him around?"

Inwardly, he had to mark down Soul's behavior as strangeness on top of an already strange boy. He claimed that Asmodeus was his hero, then assaulted a child dressed up like him. The boy was hiding something, for sure...That meeting with Asmodeus might turn out to be pretty interesting. And potentially bloody. All around, a fun time.

Arachnion and Souless found the air around them hiss like ozone, several guardsmen, clad in full combat gear and several carrying combat shotguns bearing down on them
"dont fucking move scum" The leader bellowed, his black leather coat billowing behind hin, a crimson sash tied diagonally across his chest.

Commissar Nihlus kept the weapon aimed at souless' head, his flint like gaze smoldering with loathing
"you two will stand down and report to the dungeon under armed guard at once, you will not speak or make any other movements until such time, you shall in due course be sentanced by the Commissarat for abuse of a child and destruction of Imperial, or in this case, Allied Property" the men behind the Commissar kept their faces clear of emotion, two soldiers lowering their lasrifles and sheparding the children out of the line of fire.

ooc: as forewarned, enter a fortified area like that, expect a shitstorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.