The Dying and the Damned {Open - 3 Charries}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Desh's eyes were glued to the road but his mind lashed out for solutions to problems that were set to a lethal timescale. On paper, kidnapping that girl, or whatever she actually was, seemed rather simple, but Desh knew better. If his employer was after her, then so were other vile things. She was in a world of trouble and didn't know it yet.

He felt pity, he'd find no pleasure in giving her to that monster, but he had no choice, he was a dog, a prisoner and a coward. Natlock may call it duty and honor, but it was fear and addiction that kept Desh shackled to this life. Desh expelled those familiar thoughts, they were useless and dangerous when on a job, especially a job from The Chairman himself.

Slowing to a gentle stop, the steady growl of the v8 engine sputtered out, the muffled drum of rain on the car the only sound. He retraced his steps to the alley, planning, thinking about the banshee with mixed sorrow and regret. Desh liked her, it was a shame she'd have to get caught up in this too, but good creatures always did, the architectures of the cruel were built upon their bones. The alleyway was empty. That was ok, Desh had talents, powers which earned him this position and similarly kept him chained there.

Sound manipulation, providing a host of skills; defensive, violent and otherwise useful. He'd use echolocation, every individual had their own sound profile and Desh never forgot a signature he'd already sensed, however, this time he didn't even need to try. The unmistakable wail of a Banshee set his brain afire with electrical signals, a pinpoint location burned into his biological circuitry with other signatures, fucking vampires. For the second time today he burst into a sprint, covering ground like a phantom.

The apartment block sprang into view, haggard and grey. Sarens voice through the walls, he could feel the vibrant energy. Play it cool Desh. His heavy footfalls were muted by his ability, silent as he materialized behind the dazed vamp as it peered in through the doorway. It could smell his blood, that was its only warning and it came too late.

The vamps head snapped around in shock. Its face twitching with Horror as Desh, with one hand, hoisted it against the wall and up. Its feet kicked wildly with panic. Hands clawed in futility. Terror simmered in its eyes, recognizing the man who'd kill him. Thats right suckhead. Desh placed his free hand upon its chest. Lethal vibrations, silent to an observer, penetrating bone, shredding skin, ripping arteries, and destroying the heart. For a few moments the vampire's thrashing intensified with grotesque spasmodic jerking, veins bulging, a blood vessel bursting in its eye. Then it was still, for good. Desh let it slide to the floor.

He entered the room and faced Saren and the girl. Time to play a character, gain trust. The girl, her energy swept over him., luckily his impulses were dulled by the antidote.

"I changed my mind, Saren, Thought I'd help. The damsel in distress that you are" He grinned with the same half caring, arrogant demeanor. From here on it was all improvisation and timing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sound of that familiar gruff voice made Saren turn and pull the girl close to her, trying to protect her in case something else happened but all she saw was Desh make his entrance. Relaxing a bit, she let the girl go and stood up to look at the devourer. He seemed calm now in the girl's presence, so he must have had something to dull his hunger for the time being and that was a blessing in itself. Another thing she noticed was the dead body of the vampire crumple to the ground in a heap and she knew the danger had fully passed. Moving some of her black hair behind her ear, she looked back into Desh's eyes and a small smile graced her face again, though did not reach her eyes as always.

"My thanks, Desh, but I am hardly a damsel in distress. I could have taken that creature down if I wanted to." She says, turning her back to him to help the girl up and inspect her wounds. It was not fatal, just a simple scrape. All it needed was some anti-bacterial ointment and a bandage or two.

--

Loki watched as soon another powerful non-human made his appearance and kill the other vampire with ease. A smile broke out from under his mask and he laughed at the sight of the dead vampire crumple to the ground like tissue paper. He liked what he saw and he couldn't wait to learn more about these three misfits of society. Deciding to get the body, Loki made the small leap down the building and walked over, not caring that he was getting his favorite pants and shoes soaked from the large puddles on the ground.

"Yo! Devouring dude! Can I take that body off your hands?" Loki called out to the male non-human, not caring that he could just piss the guy off and get himself killed.

Simplicity flew straight out the window and complication took its place in the form of Loki Eagleheart. Desh had never been fond of Vampires, their smell, their sound, everything about them repulsed him and the entire Vampire community knew that fact, they could tally it with their dead. Desh and Loki, however, shared the same employer and killing those with the mark of 23 was forbidden, unless one was obstructed from completing a mission commanded by Chairman Natlock himself.

Loki did not yet realize how hard he'd have to try to stay alive. One wrong word and Desh would vaporize his heart, anyone that served the company would know that. Anyone that Knew Desh would know that. Desh was the first agent to bend his knee before The Chairman, the first to be branded with the mark, almost three hundred years ago now, three hundred years of blood. He'd helped Natlock rise, He'd murdered countless souls for that creature, from one end of the planet to the other.

" You'd better have a good fucking reason why I shouldn't end you too, vamp" All humor had drained from his face, it hung slack and gaunt like a corpse's, uncaring.

Everything unfolded in front of Marin's eyes in slow motion. The vampire was there, and she was going to die. But then, it was trying to leave. The woman from the alley.... she was there. But, how? Had Marin been followed by her, too? She'd run almost the entire way. How? Marin was fairly certain she was blinking, but even that felt slow. Before her brain could register that the man from the alley was there, too, and the vampire was dead, there was someone else approaching. Had the woman been holding onto Marin? She couldn't tell. Marin was having an out of body experience, or something.

Rain pounded down on the pavement and on her skin. She wasn't really sure she could stand at all, so it was helpful when the other woman pulled her to her feet. Marin had no qualms with resting her light amount of weight against the other as she tried to focus around at the group. Her delicate eyebrows had drawn together and she was trying to make sense of them. Jewel blue eyes looked over at the heap of vampire on the ground and Marin's body trembled slightly. She wasn't standing straight, as she always did, and one shaking pale hand reached up to hold her face. She didn't seem to hear any of the conversation around her. Their voices were too far away, too muffled. "I think, I'm going to be sick," she said, barely audibly. Then the ground moved. If Saren didn't have a hold on Marin, the girl would fall entirely to the ground as she lost consciousness in the chaos of her confused and overwhelmed mind.

"Well now, if it isn't old Deshy trolling the dark streets. I wouldn't have recognized ya if you didn't speak up." Loki states, smiling under his mask as he looked at the older male. He knew that Desh hated him but he didn't care that the devourer could kill him if he wanted to. Deep down, Loki hated himself as well and wished that someone would end him. Keeping his façade up, he looked over to the two women there and gave a low whistle. "Nice choices, old man. A banshee and a strange human. Didn't think you would actually have a preference in women; but seeing you with these two lovelies proves to me that you won't grow to be lonely."

Saren ignored them and spent more time trying to see if the girl was alright mentally when she suddenly passed out in her arms. 'Poor child must have been so scared to gauge this sort of reaction. I must get her to some sort of safety.' Saren thought as she held the girl up right a bit. Looking over at Desh, she cleared her throat in hopes that he would hear it over the rain.

"Desh, I require assistance in getting this poor girl to my home. I do not trust that she would be safe here for long." Saren states, picking the girl up in a more bridal fashion, not caring that she seemed to be a bit underweight for a normal person.

Desh's eye twitched semi-perceptibly as brief spasms of rage contorted facial muscles seemingly at random. Claustrophobia, he felt squashed by the lack of choice. Desh was trapped between an ignorant asshole and a cover that he couldn't afford to blow. He couldn't tell Loki to shut his face without giving the game away, not directly. He sighed internally, ignoring the obvious bait and walked over to the vampiric imbecile, close enough that his mouth was mere inches from Loki's ear.

"Loki, I don't have time for your shit. I'm here on business, straight from Him, from Natlock. I know you don't give a shit about me, but ultimately, its his toes you'd be stepping on if you fuck this up. If you get in my way, I won't even kill you, I'll let him do what ever the fuck it is that he does"The shudder that rattled Desh's spine was not feigned for dramatic effect.

"So I suggest, for my sake and for yours, that you pick up that there body, and piss off" Desh walked, without a second glance, back towards Saren to offer his help. Loki would be insane to persist, no fool would cross The Chairman, there were worse things in this world than Death.

"Yea Saren, this place is getting messy. Hope its not far." He offered an arm, his anxiety and self hate carefully disguised.

Saren just smiled a bit and, balancing Marin's body in one arm, takes Desh's offered arm. "It is not so far. Only a 20 minute drive. I assume you have a vehicle at your disposal?" She asks, letting him take lead.

Loki just rolled his red eyes and picked the dead vampire up by his neck. So Desh got a job from the big man? That explains why he wasn't going bat shit insane from just being around a human. '
Natlock must have given Deshy his medicine. Wonder how long until he has to down another one?' Loki wondered, looking at the disheveled man and seeing him offer an arm to the banshee. Smirking, he made sure he was a bit away from the pair before calling out to his superior. "Have fun, Deshy! Make sure to use protection if you get to the home run!"

With that said, Loki ran out of the area before Desh could react. He had a death wish, yes, but he didn't want to die tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
The situation had panned out smoother than Desh dared hope. The Loki problem was over for now, and he'd seemed to have gained Saren's trust... which left a bitter taste in his mouth. He knew this wasn't going to end happily, but when did it ever?
"Yea i've got some wheels, just follow me"

For Desh the short walk to the car was a haze, he couldn't keep that sick feeling out. Regret, sorrow? He didn't know anymore, he was becoming less and less, getting hollowed out and replaced by god knows what.

"Probably should lay her down in the back seat, I'll try and drive careful, just point me in the right direction."

Saren nodded and put the unconscious girl in the back, being careful with how she handled her and closed the door. She got into the passenger side of the car, not fully caring that she was soaked through from the rain. Such things never really fazed her for her six hundred years of being what she was. She didn't even feel the need to buckle in after closing the door when she got in. 'I'm already technically dead. What do I care if I am in a car accident?' She thought to herself as she waited for Desh to get into the driver's side.

Seeing his interaction with the vampire earlier made her wonder how he knew such a creature, after all the vampire community prefers to keep to themselves than interact with other beings. A small smile made it's way back onto her face as she remembered the little nickname she heard the vampire call Desh. It was rather cutesie and it took all of her training not to giggle at such a man like Desh with that sort of pet name.

It probably wouldn't be until they were nearer to Saren's home that Marin would begin to regain consciousness. The movements of the car didn't feel like they should have for someone sleeping in their bed. The seats didn't feel like her pillow. And she was wet and chilled to the bone. As strange eyes opened to the darkness of the car, Marin frowned. Where in the world was she? She could see Saren as she began to push herself up, and suddenly recalled their meeting in the alley. Had she been kidnapped??

No, she'd left the alley. And she'd been chased by someone. It all came back to Marin now. But still, she didn't know how she'd come to be here, or where she was going. With her eyebrows still drawn together, she spoke, her voice the ever quiet chime it always was. "Where are we going?" she wanted to know, leaning just enough to see that the river of the vehicle was the man from the alley. Marin was certainly confused, and anxious. She didn't like being here with these strangers, going who-knows-where. Her body trembled from being wet for so long, and she pushed mashed strands of hair off of her cheek.

Desh walked briskly around to the drivers side door and started the engine as soon as he was seated next to Saren. He knew he'd wasted several opportunities to take the girl, it wasn't like him to be this soft but an emotion that he couldn't quite describe held him back. Desh stole a quick glance at the pair, and shuddered internally. Naturally, Desh would have kicked the banshee out into the street and sped off, it would have been easy, but he just couldn't do it like that, Saren was a being of honor.

"Just point me in the right direction" Desh grumbled over the steering wheel. The black Mustang roared into life, and they all sped towards a dark future, uncertain for everyone in the vehicle. Desh hoped that he'd be able to think more clearly at their destination.

Saren gave him directions as instructed. Once they were close, she heard stirring in the back and knew the girl was waking up. She waited till Desh parked close to her home before turning to look at you frightened girl. Saren would never tell anyone that she sometimes took great pleasure in scaring the daylights out of the living during her actual job, and seeing the poor girl scared made her inner self smile. Turning back around, she exited the car and went to the back, opening the door and waiting for the girl to get out.

"Come now, child. We must get you warmed up or you will catch yourself an illness." Saren states, holding her hand out to the girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.