The Duffel Bag - With Greenie

P

PoetLore

"Hey kid," Jock called to his assistant, "Bring me that last side of beef would ya?"

"Yes Sir." Zane came out of the meat locker a few minutes later with the requested meat and flopped it down on the butcher's table. "There ya go, anything else you need before I finish cleaning up the back?"

Jock smiled at the young lad, "Naw...you finish up and you can be done for the night. No worries about the paycheck. You earned the full pay."

Zane lowered his head a bit and grinned self consciously, "Thank you Sir. I appreciate it." He left the older man and went back to clean up the cold room and the other butcher's table where they had been working earlier on turkeys for the holiday season. he'd been surprised that this store brought the game in live and butchered it on the premises, but it was a good kind of surprise. He finished that work about the same time Jock was finished butchering the side of beef. He cleaned up that table, disinfecting all the surfaces and then scrubbed the floor. "See you after the holidays Sir!" he called out to his boss.

"Give your Maw my best, Zane and you all have a good time." Jock handed him a large turkey and some trimmings, "Happy Thanksgiving."

"Oh Sir..that's not nec..."

"I know it," he admitted, "but I like to reward hard work, and weeeeelll...Thanksgiving is a time to be grateful and give a little back. You be careful driving home now."

"I will Sir. You too when you leave." He waved again carrying the large package out to his car. He unlocked the door and put the bird and the bag on the passenger seat and then began checking everything to be sure the car would get him home. It was an overcast night, so there were no stars visible in the sky and he felt a sense of gloom shiver over him. He really hated that the stars hardly ever peeked out here. It was one of his favorite things, to sit on the porch rail and watch the stars in the sky. It gave him a sense of peace and security. Something about feeling small and insignificant was soothing to his soul. The universe would continue no matter what, and he liked knowing that was true. Here though his friends were gone and he just plodded along day after day in an odd kind of hazy daze. Sure, school was interesting and challenging, but it was starting to weigh on his soul a bit, this city life. His mother had made him promise to come home at least once every other week to be sure he got healthy food instead of city processed garbage. But he bought meat here all the time and he was happy with it. He even took some home for his mother, so she could see for herself that he was eating well. It didn't take much prodding from her to get him to come home though. By the end of two weeks he was eager for the clean air and the night sky.

It was about 3AM and he knew nothing was open between here and home so it paid to be cautious. Everything looked good, but he needed a few snacks and something to drink. He fired up the old Chevy truck and backed out of his spot and made a beeline for the local 7-11, the only place open at this hour. Pulling up to a pump, he switched off the truck and filled his tank. He had a lazy way about him in almost everything he did, moving slowly but deliberately and almost seemed to shuffle along as he moved. Oddly enough, though he appeared to be moving slowly, his long strides ate up distance faster than it seemed. Those long legs carried him inside the store to purchase his Pepsi and some long pretzel rods. Normally that was all he bought, but for some reason the beef jerky was calling out to him, so he impulsively grabbed two and made his way to the counter. "Evenin..." he said in a deep low drawl to the cashier on duty. "I have the gas in the truck too..." he grinned that sideways curl on the left side of his mouth, "Guess that pretty obvious...me bein the only one in here..."

@Greenie

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Spekkun and Greenie
It has been a long night for Layan, but unfortunately there were still quite a few hours left to go. Her mother and father had been rather sulky when she'd decided she wished to work night shifts and the convenience store rather than a normal hour like most folk, but she had her reasons, and they had been well enough to convince her parents. Not too many people came at night unless it was the weekend, and she didn't work on the weekends anyway. Weekdays were quiet with the occasional traveler or someone heading home at strange hours. With not much to do aside from cleaning and stocking, there was plenty of time for her to plot and write out the many ideas in her mind.​
She was tuckered out, however, even though she still had three hours of work left. Before coming here, she had been rather shocking given the news that her father had received quite a high paying job back in Egypt at the very university he had studied in. Naturally her mother was planning on going back to her home country with him... and they were most probably expecting her to come along. So when she showed more than a little hesitation to the idea, it wasn't taken very well. In fact, Layan didn't think she had ever been so upset with her parent. How could they just expect her to up and leave her home? Maybe she was born in Egypt, but she was more an American than her father apparently!​
She sighed softly as she let her pen clatter on her notebook. She hadn't been able to write more than a couple of words after cleaning up and mopping the floors. Too many thoughts were flooding her mind. She still lived with her parents- if they left, they would have to rent out the house she grew up in, and obviously she couldn't afford that. In fact, with the meager pay she received, she couldn't quite afford even a simple apartment unless she wanted two or three roommates.​
Another sigh left her just as the door opened, the chimes above it ringing as the person came in. A very tall man who was probably around her age. A rather cute fellow if she thought so herself, and that she did. She pushed back her long black hair away from her face and stood up as he went about his business, waiting for him to come her way.​
Returning the grin with a smile of her own, Layan nodded as she took the Pepsi, pretzels and beef jerky, adding their price along with the gas. "You're the second person to come tonight, if you can believe it," she replied easily, peeking at him for a second before depositing his items in a plastic bag. "Fridays it gets pretty rowdy, but thankfully there's someone else who takes the shift with me then."​
Once she set the bag on the counter for him and told him the total amount he needed to pay, she decided to pry a little. "You're not from around here, are you?" His accent sounded a little different from the locals.​

Zane pulled three twenties from his wallet and handed them to her. His truck was a beast to fill, luckily he didn't go far too often but to get home usually took a full tank. "Only two?" he asked, "How do you keep from bein' bored outta yer mind?" He couldn't handle that and he knew it. He needed to be busy....all the time.

Glancing down though he saw the notebook and pen, "Ahhh..." he nodded to them, "Buddin' writer?" he asked astutely. He liked people, and she was very pretty and willing to talk to him in spite of his country accent. Most of the girls at college either thought he was stupid or too gangly, whatever that meant. "I work down at the Butcher Shop for Jock Daniels. Good hard work, and he's very generous....even gave me a turkey to take home to my Momma for the holiday." e smiled a wide smile at her then, "Headed that way now..."

"Well...I go to school just over yonder, so I am from round here..but born and raised four hours west on a country farm." His head tipped a bit, "You have a different kinda look to ya...where are you from?" She looked exotic to him, like she was probably from some interesting foreign country where people wore no clothing and pierced their noses. Hopefully she'd never do such a thing to hers it was too cute the way it was. His weight shifted as he leaned a hip on the counter casually. "You have plans for the holidays?" he asked suddenly in no hurry to get on the road.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
Well this was much more interesting than simply whiling the hours away, waiting for inspiration to strike. He was as friendly as he was cute, and Layan never minded conversation when it was a pleasant one. She grinned at his questions as she took the money and handed him his receipt. "My dad's from here, my mom's from Egypt," she explained, her stance now relaxed as the transaction was complete. "I've been here since I was a baby though, so this is my home."​
She leaned forward against the counter, elbows pressed against it as she rested her chin on her hands. "You mean for Thanksgiving? My mother usually makes the dinner, but other than that not really. I work here on the holidays as well... I get Christmas off though! So that's cool. I knew some people who had to work even through the winter holidays."​
Pausing a moment, she raised her eyebrows in a friendly, questioning manner. "My name's Layan, by the way." It certainly sounded a foreign name, now that she thought of it. "What's yours?"​

Zane smiled at her, "I knew there was something exotic 'bout your look." he grinned a little proud of his having been right. It wasn't often he was about such things, since he had little to no experience in a personal way with foreign cultures or people. movies or TV were about his only contact with other people when he was growing up. Sure there were the other kids at school, but they were all like him, rancher's kids or farm kids. He figured his kind were about a dime a dozen, but she was special. He could just tell it.

"Ahh...so you get the benefit of being special and just one of us at the same time. Lucky you." His manner and smile were engaging and even though he wasn't trying to be, he was disarmingly charming with his easy conversational manner and warmth. She leaned onto her hands and he was sure he'd never seen anything cuter in his life. His brow winged up though, "Working on Thanksgiving?" his head shook and his handsome face scrunched in a mask of disapproval. "I mean I know folks need fuel, but seems to me they could be a bit thoughtful and get it the day before....but yeah...I know a lot of people working through the special days like they aren't meant for family and home. Shame really.....folks don't value home like they used to...real glad my family does.....real glad." He smiled then, "Good though that you get to be with yer family for Christmas. I'm happy for ya."

"Layan..." he repeated and tipping his head as he looked at her, "That suits you. Pretty name for a pretty girl." He extended his hand then, "I'm Zane. I think my dad was hopin' I"d be a rodeo star....had to disappoint him in that...Bull ridin' is for crazy men." He leaned over the counter a bit, "I think he's still mad at me over it, but since I decided to get my schoolin' and be a vet he's comin' around a little."

He picked up the beef jerky and opened one and offered her the other, "Join me for a snack before I start out on that long drive home?"

Layan couldn't help but laugh at being called exotic. It wasn't the first time, but she wasn't exactly sure how to take it. She thought she looked normal, if on the pretty side. Her hand reached up and she rubbed the back of her neck, feeling a little embarrassed. "I wouldn't say I'm special," she replied with a little giggle, shaking her head slightly. It was nice that he felt bad she had to be here on a holiday. Her parents would have probably wished she was home as well, truth be told, but some things were just as they were.​
She couldn't help but laugh once more. Well isn't he the charmer. "That's really kind of you to say," she replied with a grin, unable to keep herself from showing she was pleased with the compliments coming her way. Tilting her head, imagining the tall fellow in a rodeo. "I suppose it is quite dangerous. I've only seen it on the television, and rarely." Smiling, she gave him a cheesy thumbs up. "Becoming a vet is pretty awesome though. I used to want to be one as a kid, but I kind of changed my mind once I got into reading books."​
Looking at the telly with the security cameras and seeing absolutely no movement anywhere other than where she and Zane where, she decided why the heck not take his offer. "Sure thing," she replied, taking the jerky and peeling the the plastic away. "You're sure a nice guy to a cashier, Zane. Most people just come, pay and leave." She blinked. "Not that I want you to leave or anything. It's nice having someone to chat with."​

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Zane smiled that farm grown smile at her, "If you would say it...then that would take a bit of the sparkle away from being special now wouldn't it?" His hair fell into his face a bit and he pushed it back lazily. It wasn't like him to hang around in a filling station, especially not with the knowledge that him Momma was home baking something that would have the whole house smelling of cinnamon and deliciousness. There was something about her that was keeping him there, partly that laugh but mostly just her sweet nature. "I was taught to be kind...my Momma would tan my hide if she heard I wasn't...honestly...she's scary when she's in whippin mode." His smile and that sparkle in his eyes kind of gave away some of the seriousness of that, but it was evident that there was respect and love there for the woman who raised him.

She accepted his offer and he was delighted. "Thanks for sharing a bit of your evening with a traveling stranger Layan...I'm sorry you have to work but I'm glad you were here so i could meet you. That's horribly contradictory and selfish of me, but...I'm right glad to have met ya."

He peeled back the end of his jerky wrapping and took a bite. "Maybe..." he began and then swallowed the bite he'd taken, "Once the holidays are over...mebbe you'd like to have dinner together?" He was pushing his luck and he knew it, but he didn't want to waste this opportunity.

Layan couldn't help but laugh again. "Oh, I know what you mean about moms being in whipping mode," she replied wit a grin. "Reminds me of mine. She never did, but oh boy, she could threaten to. Probably scared my dad a little too." Her grin softened to a smile, one that wavered slightly as she thought of her parents and how they would soon be moving away.​
Thankfully distraction in the form of a cute boy was before her. It was rather strange, she wasn't used to people talking to her so long, at least in such a polite and friendly matter. High school had been full of boys who wanted to chat her up to have the half Egyptian girl as a notch under their belt- they didn't realize she had a dad who was more than knowledgeable on the ways boys could act.​
There was a look of surprise in her eyes at the hesitant question, though the surprise quickly shifted to a pleasant expression, cheeks dotted with red. Was she just asked out on a date? By someone who didn't seem to have sleazy intentions?​
"Uhm, sure!" she replied, trying not to sound too enthusiastic. She opened her notebook and flipped it to a black page, upon which she wrote her name as well as mobile number. "You can add me. I'm uh- well I'm not really good talking unless it's face to face, but I really love chatting. So uhm, yeah."​

He laughed a sudden kind of laughter that echoed through the store. He reined himself in quickly though and coughed a bit to hide his embarrassment at having made such a loud noise, but the delighted sparkle was still there in his eyes. "My Paw doesn't scare easily, but I think he is secretly afraid of my Maw too. It's their hidden truth between them, both know but neither talks about it..ya know?" The idea of it just made him laugh though, because his dad was one of the hardest men he'd ever met. No nonsense, hard working man of of the land that doesn't take guff or trouble from anyone. He was and always had been proud to call that man Dad. "Mom's have that thing they do that can always get a kid to mind them...that way they look at ya side ways and you know they know something you don't want them to know...but they know WHICH thing and you don't so you can't say sorry..." He blushed a bit, "Yeah well..that's how it was fer me anyway..." She likely didn't want to hear all that, and he wasn't sure why he'd said it. Something about her easy friendliness made him want to share things and get to know her.

Honest truth was, he was having a hard time dragging himself away. He knew it was getting late, and he should be headed out, but there was a pretty girl standing a foot away from him and damned if he could make his feet move toward the door. She looked surprised that he'd asked her to dinner. She must have had a million dinner invitations, surely. He held his breath and watched her saying a silent little prayer that she'd see past the farm boy accent. She wrote her name and number on a paper and his face lit up like a Christmas tree with fireworks attached. He reached over and grabbed her pencil and wrote on her notebook. "There's mine so you know it's me when I call you...or text you...I think I'm better in person too.can't really say my spelling is always perfect but I think my grammar is." Luckily he was good in school, he had a feeling she was a very smart girl and he didn't want to be an embarrassment to her.

"I'm not usually glad for the holidays to be over, but now I have this to look forward to and I kinda wish I didn't have to scoot on home for so long..." Warm brown eyes took in her face before looking out at his truck. "I really hate to do this, but my mom will be worried sick if I'm too late..." He dragged a hand through his hair and it immediately fell back into his face as it had been before, "It sure was great talking to ya though Layan. Merry Christmas." he pushed off the counter and stood there, hesitating for just a moment more before letting out a resigned sigh. He scuffed his foot against the floor and grabbed his purchases in one hand and shoved his other hand in his pocket to fish out his keys. "See you soon." he promised and waved as he forced himself out the door.

Once he was in his truck his yes went back to the counter where he'd just stood. Another wave and then he started up the truck. He hadn't realized it was snowing, so involved was he in the conversation and the company. he grabbed the windshield brush and slipped out of the driver's seat. he brushed off the snow and was about to get back in when he saw a bag poking out of the snow just across the street by the woodline. Frowning he slid the brush into the truck and walked over to see what it was. He looked around and saw, what he was thinking might be footprints leading into the trees off to his right. Strange. He crouched down and dusted off the bag. it was a bright red duffel bag, or more rightly said, it was a glowing duffel bag. He almost touched it, but something made him hesitate. he stood and called out into the night, "Hey...you dropped somethin...."