The Dragon Wardens

Aurea looked upon the others, all pleading with her to continue into the darkness. She saw exactly what was waiting for them: monsters, the voices, and the risk of losing more of themselves. The young warden could not imagine why any of them would continue to follow the stranger after all of this. This stranger didn't even know what followed them or what they were heading towards. Aurea was hesitant in going further.

The world around them began to quake and groan as the light made another appearance. Yet Aurea saw the light as their savior. Much like the wardens fought the Shadow, this light would try to save them from this eternal darkness. Yet they kept running from it. Running towards monsters and lost memories. She would not face such a slow death. Her eyes filled with the impending light as she stared into the tunnel.

"I don't remember what I am," Aurea said to the others "But there's one thing I still know. I fight the darkness...so I must follow the light!"

Aurea dropped Waethrin's sword, pulled her hand from Id's grasp, and started going towards the light. She walked at first, but if no one stopped her, she would begin jogging. This was the way out, she knew it!

Coleite tried not to focus on Addiver's last words. As she followed him and Raleia from Drau'zul's tent, she couldn't help but focus on how eerily close it sounded to an augury. Allowing the fear to come… and hopefully go, she nodded when Raleia spoke and walked closer, grabbing her arm softly as the older Warden turned to go.

"Is there… Is there a place we can all meet?" Coley asked hesitantly, "In case anything goes wrong… Do you know of a place we can fall back to?"

Glancing over her shoulder she took sight of the other Ice Warden. She too was older and though Coley had barely any relations with either, she had to put that aside.

"Feria, is it?" Coleite called out. "Come, please. We all need to speak before we head east."

Frowning, Raleia shook her head, "Without knowing how far the fog has come, I can't rightly say where it's safe to meet. I suspect it would be best to group up near the border of Thallas, should we need to."

She didn't want to say it, though she could almost see the younger warden's mind revolving around the same concern... How likely would it be they would be able to fall back at all, if it came to it...

With a small nod to each of her fellow Wardens, Coleite walked off, leaving a final farewell before making her way east. The snow was finally sticking and though her attunement seemed everywhere, so too did her fears. With her admittance, she felt Briseis' worry blossom in her mind, and she forced herself to be calm as she trudged through the swarthy, softened mud and the freshly fallen snow.

Making her way to Briseis took longer than she could ever imagine and momentarily, as she caught sight of the ever-burning carts in the distance, realized this was the first time in her life she didn't want to embrace him… Didn't want to face the reality that they'd be separated once they reached eastern lands. But she'd given her word… Not just to Drau'zul, but to her fellow Wardens, back at the Haven, when everything was good and right and fair… So she continued on her way, anxiety telling her to stay, her sense of duty urging her footfalls forward.

Time seemed to slow as she stood in front of Briseis; her mind was full of fear and her heart ached for those they lost. Regardless of race and species, human, warden, elven, and orcen blood had been shed and so, in the midst of Shadow induced chaos, they stood united as one. United and willing to fight back.

With an awful groan she forced herself forward. She attached his saddle first, checking thrice that everything was in order before throwing her arms around Briseis' serpentine neck. For a minute she let the tears slide down her cheeks, let them fall freely, unashamed to admit she was afraid. Afraid of what laid in wait…

"We're to go east…" Coleite said finally, wiping her cheeks clumsily and climbing up into the saddle.

With a great stretch, Briseis stood on his hind legs and with a few flaps of his feathery wings, the pair were in the air. They turned east and continued east… Time sped and slowed on it's own accord and Coley barely had the peace of mind to keep track of it. Their flight took forever and was over too soon. Their tell-tale sign finally arrived and before landing, Coleite urged Briseis higher in order to get a better view.

The fog stretched for leagues, choking the land everywhere she looked. Briseis' unease mirrored her own and she had half the mind to turn north, to just flee back to their trusty mountains, to leave the Shadow to hands better fit for the job. But there was no one else. No one besides her, Raleia, and Feria.

Two wardens attuned to ice, one fire… And hopefully an army of Thalls and orcs and elves to defend the world in which they lived.

Though it was the last thing she wanted to do, Coleite urged Briseis to the earth where she refused to say goodbye. It took awhile, to convince him of the need to have a dragon's-eye view and one on the ground. She felt guilty, watching him leave, and once he was out of sight, drenched in fear.

Without knowing how, she took a step forward, and then another, straight towards the encroaching fog. Coleite held her breath, foolishly, as she stepped through the threshold of what was fog and what wasn't. Fear and confusion laced its way through her heart, but somehow... by the Maker, she took another step forward and continued onward into the unknown.
Collabed with @Elle Joyner, @Effervescent

[bg=#F5E538]

9fihn9R.png

[/bg][bg=#F5E538][bg=#339588]
After leaving Coley and Feria, Raleia felt only marginally better about the task at hand. If they were the only remaining wardens, then they would continue to do everything in their power to protect the lands that they had been entrusted… no matter how fathomless their goal might seem. But at the very least, she wasn't entirely on her own…

Predictably, Winnock was not far off from where she had left him, lazily swatting at the carcass of a small wood box from one of the carts. He looked up as she approached and made a small whining sound through his nostrils, but Raleia only shook her head and patting his snout, pressed a kiss to the very tip of it, "Come on, sweetie. Just a little bit longer, and then we'll be able to rest."

Rounding his side, she pulled herself up onto him and with a great sweep of his leathery wings, they were up in the air, angling towards the East... towards uncertainty.

Fog, as far as the eye could see… in great, sweeping clouds, pillars, spiraling like smoke… in translucent snakes that swirled slow and creeping around her ankles. The air was frigid, but a chill had crept into her bones that had entirely nothing to do with the season. All around her, in what seemed to be every direction, bodies littered the ground… fallen and still, empty shells of former lives and just out of the corner of her eye she could see phantoms of movement, but with each turn of her head, it was gone again - a trick of light, or not…

Her heart pounded within her chest, her mind racing, and overhead she could feel Winnock's anxiety, careening closer to panic. She wanted to tell him not to worry, but in truth, she was deeply concerned. Somewhere along the way, she had gained, or perhaps lost speed… lost the others, and then lost her path completely and when she had landed at the edge of the creeping wall of white, she had gone into it alone. Alone and very much unsure. And for what might have been minutes, or hours, or days, she had walked. Her fingers curled tightly around her necklace, until they turned pale white, and setting her eyes before her, Raleia continued onward.

And onward.

There was little telling how far she had gone - all was dark grey and pearlescent, and the sky overhead gave little indication as to the time of day. Her steps were the only sound, and for a while it seemed as though the entire world had vanished… leaving her abandoned and alone. Her isolation felt so complete, so absolute, that when she heard the sound of footfall ahead of her, she almost began to doubt her ears.

Then she saw the figure moving, and this time, it stayed in place as she directed her vision towards it… A dark shadow, moving through the mist, growing more resolute as it grew closer. A shapeless mask became limbs and torso, a head…

She could see the markings on his pale skin, even at a distant, his ethereal gaze piercing even in the paleness of their surroundings. Her heart, she was certain, froze in place, her mind refusing to process the figure's identity, refusing to accept it…

But the crashing sound of his steps, the harried, haggard commotion of a man wandering, lost and alone in so terrifying a place could not be ignored for long. Breathless, she stopped and stared, her voice barely rising above a doubt filled whisper. How could it be him? How… when he was dead?

"...Thannel?"

He heard his name again. Thannel shook his head as he fought against the whispers in the fog. He could have sworn he heard his name. The throbbing pain in his head did not help. His hand covered his eye where the wound presided, blood still wet on his palm where it pressed against his cheek. His perception was off kilter from the blow to his eye in an obvious altercation and turn towards the voice that called him.

"Raleia?" He knew it was strange to hear it so distantly and clearly. It wasn't like the whispers, and yet… this was the fog.

For a moment she said nothing - could think of nothing at all to say. It felt so real, yet she could still see him in her mind, clawing at the ground, ripped away by the shadowy tendrils into nothingness. Was this was the fog did, then? Would she soon begin to see the others...? Would she be dragged into oblivion by her own heart's desire not to be alone?

Tears burned, blurring her vision and shaking her head, Raleia looked away, her eyes moving past Thannel to the fog beyond, "Is this how it ends? I won't fight... I'm tired. Just please, no more phantoms."

"How did you get here?" he asked, though he did not move towards her. His free hand was ready to cast, resting at his side as he studied the familiar figure from a distance.

"...Don't you know?" She responded, and there a twinge of irritation in her voice, "Aren't you responsible for it? Why his face...? Is it not enough to kill me? You plan to torment me, first?"

His eye narrowed at the strange game. It was his first encounter with a seemingly non hostile entity. He shook his head once again and continued on. Perhaps it was a side effect of that woman infiltrating his mind. He paid no further mind to Raleia as he returned his focus to finding a way out of the fog. Sometimes the land looked familiar, and other times it looked all the same.

"Hey!" She shouted, and the irritation bled into anger as she stepped forward, "What sort of trap is this? I won't chase after you, Shadow! You have taken too much, and I am done playing these ridiculous games!

"Then leave me alone!" he shouted back. Thannel began to wonder if he was even still on his world anymore. What twisted realm had the Shadow Casters dragged him into? Was he even alive?

Perhaps it was her exhaustion, or perhaps it was just the weight of all that had happened over the past few days, but the anger that pulsed through her was unrelenting, and as he wandered further into the thickening fog, her mind refused to accept it... to allow him to leave - to allow Thannel's memory to be so perverted.

Pulling free the small sword at her waist, Raleia started after him, "You cowards! All of you! Tricks and lies! Why don't you fight me, face to face!"

"Why does my brain focus so much on the fire of her character?" Thannel wondered out loud. He was sure she was a figment, and with his back toward her he could not see her advance. "Ignore it…"

But in his wandering through the fog and with his dampened perception he nearly stumbled over a body. His foot caught under the shoulder of the human lying face down in the grass. Thannel halted completely after regaining his footing and stared down at the lifeless woman. If he was dead, what did that make her?

"If you're going to follow me," Thannel said, "then may I at least have the comfort of a friend? Or just kill me. Whichever suits you."

He stumbled and Raleia paused, staring at him for a moment, while he contemplated the figure, prone in the grass. Her heart knit at the sight, and gave a painful jolt at the sound of his voice as he continued. It made no sense... None of it. Why wouldn't he fight? Why did he insist on this heart wrenching diversion...

Unless...

The sword dropped from her grasp without control and stepping closer, she reached out, her hand shaking as she grabbed his arm. Solid. Solid and strong... A little cool, but then... that was his atunement.

Yanking her arm back, she gasped, her hands covering her mouth as she stared at him, "...You... you're not... But..." Lowering her hands, her legs gave and she collapsed, "Thannel?"

He let his hand fall from his face and continued to stare at the unknown fallen. For a time he did not really care to speak. The whispers had grown silent in the stillness of the fog that surrounded them. He could feel the warmth of her touch as it brushed against his arm and let go.

"What is it?" he finally asked.

Raleia said nothing for a long moment as she knelt on the cold, hardened ground. It seemed so impossible, yet surely in her vulnerability, in her state of shock, a foul wielder of shadow would not allow her to live - not even for the sake of cruel tricks and mind games.

But if she was wrong...

Maybe she didn't care anymore. Maybe a part of her wanted to be wrong, so it could just... end.

Rather suddenly and with very little warning, Raleia sprung upright to her feet and without a word, she threw her arms around him, hugging him tightly. He felt real, so real, and substantial, and for a moment, even if it were all a lie, she could rest in that sense...

The embrace took him by surprise. He, too, expected the worst and yet it did not come. Raleia wrapped her arms around him tightly, and he returned it in kind. "Where are we?" he whispered.

"A nightmare? A dream..." Sniffling, she released him, taking a short step back to look up at him, "I don't know, anymore. I... I thought... In the field, when it, when it took you... I thought you were dead." Hand quivering, she stretched upwards and hovered for a moment over his cheek, before laying her palm there, "I never thought I would see you again."

Her thumb brushed along the edge of the gash across his eyes as she shook her head, frowning, "What did they do to you?"

The wound was tender, and he twitched slightly at the touch before retracting from her hand. "An altercation," he said. "How did you get here?"

"Winnock." Her eyes trailed upwards, briefly, before she shook her head, "After you... after everyone disappeared, Drau'zul agreed the best course of action was to investigate the fog... to try and stop the Shadow Army from further encroaching." Lowering her gaze, she touched Valnir's necklace, "Feria, Coley and I... We all have one. I can only assume it's why we were left behind. I suggested to Drau'zul that we might be able to get through the fog and scout ahead, but I arrived earlier than the others... and I... I got lost."

Frowning again, she gestured to his wounded eye, "Will you... can I help?"

He brought his hand up as he noticed her necklace and its familiar design. It hovered in the air as he reflected upon its presence. If this was an illusion, it was a rather detailed one, and if it were a Shadow Caster, they nulled their magic by wearing the pendant.

"The way you came," he said as he pointed behind Raleia. "What did you come across? We can track your steps back. There's enough moisture in the air to keep the earth damp."

"...Bodies." She whispered the word, and her hand dropped away from the necklace, falling, back to her side, "They're all dead. Everywhere. Feels like there's no one left in the whole world..."

Looking up at him again, she studied him for a moment, her eyes moving slowly across his features, roving over the injury... How dedicated could an agent of Shadow possibly be?

"...I want to believe it's you. But it would be... it would be so easy for them to get into my head, right now. And I'm afraid to trust." Frowning, she stepped forward again, "Tell me something. Something only Thannel would know... Something personal."

"No," he said as he studied the tracks Raleia had left behind her. He began to follow her steps back. "If you're not going to trust me as I am, there is nothing I can say that won't still cause doubt."

"You... you don't know what it was like. Watching it happen. Watching them... watching you, dragged away by it. Seeing the aftermath. Seeing what it did to everyone left behind, I don't know what to believe, anymore. Their dragons. They... they were left, too. Ancalgon, Thannel... He threw himself right to the ground. He's dead. Because of it. You're asking me to trust you, but look where we are! Look around... You just... appeared, out of the fog, in a place no one is exactly known for leaving."

Frowning softly, she dropped her gaze, "Please... The Thannel I know, he was kind and warm... A man of peace. He wouldn't leave me to wonder. If you're him, I need to know... I just... everything is mist and shadow, here. I need something solid to hold on to."

"Don't rely on others to anchor you," Thannel said turning back towards her. "Vuaturi pride themselves in intellect. And we see intelligence in others. If you would only just… You need to calm down and think. Find the anchor yourself. Then you know with absolution."

He shook his head, his hand cradling the wound that lined his face in red. It stung like fire and he felt his pulse pounding in his head as he turned back to tracking her footsteps.

"Anyone with intelligence knows there's never real absolution, Thannel... And it's not easy being calm in such a damnably depressing place." Shaking her head, Raleia followed after him. Whether she believed who he was or not didn't matter. If he really was alive, she would discover as much eventually and if not? Well, she supposed she would find out, either way...

Looking over at him, as he cupped his eye, she sighed, "Stop... Just..." Catching his arm, she met him with a small frown, "Stay still. Let me patch it up. It won't take but a few minutes, and it's stupid to keep traipsing around like that... You'll bleed to death before we get out of this miserable fog."

"I think you're trying to justify your fear," he said as he turned back to her. His hand lowered from the bloody gash and he heaved a sigh, more in relief than exasperation as Raleia seemed to come around. "It's not easy to be calm, but it can be done. Absolution is viable. So, to argue your point, you're telling yourself absolution isn't obtainable to justify your fear. There's nothing shameful in it, though. Even in that you found absolution. You've calmed down."

"That's quite a lecture, coming from a man who's very lucky he's not half blind. And it's not like you trust I am who I said I am, either..." With the very edge of a smile at the corner of her lips, Raleia bent down and grabbed the frayed end of her cloak. It had been torn once before, when she had injured her shoulder... By the end of this horrendous journey she was likely to come away with no cloak at all. Tearing another strip, she straightened and met Thannel with another frown, eyeing the wound in thought, "We ought to clean it..."

Unhooking the cloak entirely, she spread it on the ground, "Can you conjure a bit of ice on that? I'll melt it down... It's not perfect, but it'll do until we can get out of here."

"I never said I trust who you say you are," he said, a small huff of a laugh escaping him as he raised his hand back up to his injury. It hurt to smile, and he winced as soon as it came. Adding to the throbbing pain and headache was rather unpleasant and spoiled his minorly lifted spirits. "The eye… I'm not sure it works. I don't know if the blade…"

His voice trailed off as his mind became stuck on the prospects of being half blind. He was impaired, and losing that much range in an already murky setting made it all the more difficult to overcome any obstacle he may face in the fog. He drew from the moisture around them, crystallizing the vapors as they collected within his palm and onto his skin. The air around them turned frigid in his conjuring, and his breath released from his lips in thick puffs.

"Do you think you should cauterize it?" he asked, though hoped the answer was no.

His words drew a cringe, as she considered the possibilities of what he was saying. It was certainly safer to assume that he was all a part of the Shadow, the Fog... a trick of her mind, but in her heart she needed it to be him. Whatever he said about anchors, Raleia believed no man could make it alone, and in such a dire time, she desperately needed a friend. But if it was him... someone had hurt him. Badly. And that did not sit well with her.

Shivering, though it had little to do with the temperature so much as his grim suggestion, Raleia shook her head, "I don't think so... Unless the bleeding won't stop."

She worked quietly, but quickly, first to melt down the ice into a small pool on the cloak, then dabbing the cloth in the water. She touched the damp edge to the wound, gingerly as she dared, her free hand cupping his chin to keep his head steady, "Seems we're both destined for scars, my dear friend."

Squeezing out the scrap of cloak, pink running down her arms to make a puddle at her feet, she wet it a second time, then continued the progress along his eye, "How long has it been like this? And what happened? You said it was an altercation? Where did you go, after... after the field?"

Thannel stared out at the nothing beyond Raleia as he fought the urge to twitch or move in his pain. "I've been with Wallace Savere," he said. "I don't know how I got there. I just… woke up in chains. They know about the necklaces. They know about the Sur joining the orcs and their plans to take back Folhath. They had a woman who got into my head and pulled out information. And then they were gone and I weakened the chain with ice and broke free. I got attacked by… I don't know what I saw. It did this to me and I killed it. I've never had to kill so many things until I left my people…"

Straightening, Raleia met his eyes, her own widening ever so slightly, "Savere?"

That he had escaped at all was something of a small miracle. She wasn't sorry he got away, but knowing what it had cost him... and knowing why he had been taken at all was unnerving. If Savere knew about their plans, knew about the necklaces, there was little question in her mind he was already moving to strike.

"...I... I'm so sorry. I can't understand what that's like." Frowning, she lowered her gaze again, "Somehow, I've yet to have to, but I don't know that I'll remain so lucky. It seems we can't escape it. War." Meeting his eyes, she resumed her work, "Do you still feel the same way? About this fight, Thannel? You told me that you couldn't walk away... that you had your reason for staying. Do you still feel that way?"

"Of course," he said without hesitation. "Do you doubt it of me now?"

Smiling faintly, Raleia met his gaze, "No. Not at all." The smile faded, and she concentrated instead on the cloth, "I doubt it in myself, though. I considered it, Thannel. Running... leaving. I actually considered it... and it makes me so ashamed. I just... I'm tired. I'm tired of fighting. My whole purpose, my existence was to find peace. But no one wants it. And I don't know where to go from here."

Thannel gently grasped Raleia's forearm and pulled her hand away from his face. "I don't want to stay here any longer," he said to her quietly. "I'm leaving the fog. Thank you for tending to my wound."

Closing her eyes for a moment, Raleia shook her head, "You really don't trust that it's me, do you. I thought maybe... Hm." Trailing off, she bent down to pick up her cloak, fastening it on again, before she nodded, "Let's go, then. And put this over the wound..." She offered the cloth to him, with a small frown, "But if it's still bleeding in an hour, we'll need to stop it."

With a short nod, Thannel continued on the path laid out by the subtle footprints left behind by Raleia in her trek through the fog. "It's more that I'm not sure of too much right now," he explained. "What if they can fabricate visions just as easily as tapping into my memories? I'm mostly certain it's you. But I would just feel better outside of this fog."

The act of looking down to look for her footprints caused him to feel dizzy, and he stumbled a bit with his steps every now and again. Despite this, he was stubbornly persistent and focused. "Don't you want out? Just… no matter what? Have you heard the whispers?"

Frowning, Raleia moved closer, offering him support as much as he would allow. She understood… she did. It was hard for her not to suspect there was Shadow magic everywhere, and in her mind she was certain it was a trick, even if her heart wanted to trust that it was him. She was used to the disappointment of her own expectations failing her…

But whoever he was, Thannel or not, she was simply too tired to care, anymore not to lend aid where it was needed.

As he continued, her expression shifted and pausing, catching his arm to halt his steps as well, she nodded, "I didn't think about it, until now… I'm sorry. All you've gone through, and now this fog." Taking a breath, she reached for her necklace and pulled it off, pressing up on her toes to loop it around his neck, "...This should help."

His hand reached out quickly, partially fumbling over her forearm before completely grasping her wrist to halt her action. He was a bit more forceful than before as he worked against her. "If that really is real," he said to her, "then you need to wear it. Put it back on, Raleia."

"You need it more than I do, right now! If... if you don't make it..." Jaw tightening, she shook her head, "Wear it for a little while. I'll be fine."

A smile flickered on his lips at her stubbornness, but he slowly pushed her arm back towards her. "If you aren't real, you're pretty convincing," he joked. "Put it back on. Tactically speaking, it's better if you have it."

"Tactics..." She muttered, sliding the necklace back on, "You sound like Val. Come here... Arm over my shoulder. You'll stumble less. Let me watch the path, you keep a lookout for any trouble. And try not to listen to them... the whispers. Concentrate on something else. Anything else."

"It's a spell," Thannel said as he placed his hand on her shoulder. "I just… I don't know when it was cast."

As they traveled through the fog, Thannel did his best to scan the area, or at least what could be seen. The world looked like murky gray water where trees and buildings looked like strange silhouettes. A cluster of trees appeared ahead of them, ever so faintly at first. But with each step they neared, one of the smaller bushes, narrow and more distinct than the other silhouettes that framed it, caused Thannel a moment of pause.

"Raleia, wait," he whispered as he gripped her shoulder. "Something doesn't feel right…"

As Thannel stopped, and his grip on her shoulder tightened, Raleia froze, following his eyeline, "...What is it? What are you seeing?"

He stared at it. The dark mass below the canopy of the tree did not move. He couldn't be sure if it was even a person, but it did not look like a bush to him anymore. And just as he opened his mouth to answer Raleia, the figure vanished into the fog behind it in a swift motion.

She straightened as the thing... the figure moved in haste, a hand braced against Thannel's side, her heart racing in her chest, "That I saw..." Reaching for her blade, she pulled it free, "Can you fight, if we have to?"

"Yes," he assured, but he did not move just yet. Looking up into the fog, Thannel leaned against Raleia to keep his balance as he thought. "Raleia, where is Winnock? We could leave…"

Craning her eyes skyward, Raleia frowned. She hated the idea of bringing Winnock down into the fog, but leaving him up there put Thannel at risk. There was no more room to doubt that Thannel was who he said… She needed to act. Needed to decide.

"He's close…" Stepping aside, she nodded and not a few seconds passed before the massive shadow appeared overhead, the rush of wind from Winnock's descent stirred fog and dust from beneath their feet.

He was anxious, and she could see it… rippling through his shoulders and spine, dark eyes flickering around him as his jaw opened, a nervous chattering rattle escaping his throat.

"...Easy, sweetheart… Almost out." He loomed over them as Raleia approached, watchful, and he lowered down for her to mount.

"Ready?" Raleia asked Thannel.

[bg=#F5E538]Collab with @Effervescent, @CloudyBlueDay, @rissa[/bg][/bg][/bg]

Rosenfall

Addiver rode to Rosenfall with Paulson with a lump in his throat as he fought back tears. It was mostly a quiet venture. The guards rode with the men who once drove the carts of grain and meats towards Folhath. They volunteered as foot soldiers after what had transpired. Paulson still looked in shock. Lisella had been among the Thalls and royal house for decades and not once was ever questioned. Who else was one of the enemy? Trust in each other was shattered leaving only Addiver to lean on. It was a strange time for them both.

"I'm so sorry-"

"Don't." Addiver cut off Paul's apology. He didn't want to hear it from Paul or anyone for that matter. Since the beginning of discord between his people and the Dragon Wardens he helped spearhead the underground movement that eventually created the Guides. And at first he blamed himself for all the deaths therein, for everyone associated with the Guides were either killed or soon to be. He rallied them and encouraged them to volunteer for the riskiest cause and commit treason against their queen. But his guilt evolved into focused anger towards who, or rather what he now blamed: the ignorance of man.

The elves had just turned a blind eye and pretended to see what they wanted to see. They didn't get involved, but they knew things were amiss. But every human kingdom in the Allied Kingdoms never stopped to think their own kind would be the source of all the evil. Not even he thought Lisella to be so damned. But at least he and the Guides had seen the Dragon Wardens were not to blame. And to that he did not wish to hear that only now Paul Paulson and his ilk realized they were wrong to some degree. They should have known. They should have thought better.

The shadow of a dragon momentarily blocked the sun as Lo swooped from the sky to land before the two Thalls. Dromast slid off her saddle in a hurry as she ran towards them, Addiver following suit as he felt a rush of emotions welling within him. They embraced in the fields just before the walls of Rosenfall, snow collecting in the Dragon Warden's wild hair. They were both joyful, relieved, and in tears, unable to bring themselves to relinquish their hold on each other as moments passed.

"I felt so much Shadow," she said. "I felt it all the way out here. It was terrifying. And when I went to investigate we found a dragon on its own in despair. Lo… It feels like…"

Addiver pulled back and slid his hands down to hers to give her a reassuring squeeze. "I'm glad to see you're alright," he said. "And that Lo made it back to you."

"Thank you for that," she said softly, but her brow furrowed at his solemn expression. Addiver ignored her concern.

"We need to rally what's left of Rosenfall's forces," he explained as he nodded back to Paul. The recently promoted lieutenant sat upon his horse watching the exchange from a respectable distance.

"What's happened?" Dromast asked. "Are the orcs marching to Rosenfall?"

"No, thank the maker," Addiver said. "They're headed to Folhath to help liberate the elves from the Shadow. And they want Thallas there."

"If anyone can rally for a cause, it's you, Addiver Cald," she said encouragingly. "I won't keep you. I will go fetch the other Dragon Wardens and head east towards Folhath."

"Be safe, Massy," Addiver said, and gave her one last hug before departing.

Queen Malan was dead. Her body laid upon a pedestal within the throne room, still and white and peaceful. The black taint of Shadow Magic etched her forearm in an angry blotch left exposed for the family to glare upon in sorrow and anger. Despite being told to evacuate, the rest of House Malian remained in mourning. They were betrayed by someone they trusted, and while they wished to deny it they knew it had been Lisella who murdered the queen.

Ilyanis clasped her hand around Saleste's for comfort, and the princess squeezed back in quiet thanks. Their mother was dead, and for all her transgressions and atrocities she endorsed, the mark of taint upon her cold, alabaster skin was a sign that perhaps their mother and their Queen was not as terrible as they had thought. The two looked over at the eldest sibling, Rodmidre, as he stared almost blankly at the queen. His wife stood dutifully by his side, more concerned with his well being rather than mourning Queen Malan's death.

"You are to succeed her," Ilyanis said softly to the prince. He didn't look over at the elf or his sister, but the panic in his being was expressed upon his face in etched lines across his brow. "Thallas needs you to step up and lead now more than ever."

"The orcs are coming," he said, and then looked up at his family. "I've been trying to think of some way to convince them not to harm Rosenfall, but all I can see is us having no choice but to take a stand to our end."

"Regardless," Saleste said, "Thallas needs structure even to its end. For your children's sake even. They need us to stand and fight so that they can all find safety on the shore."

The doors to the throne room opened in a rush as guards escorted Addiver Cald and Paul Paulson. It took them all by surprise, though Ilyanis forced herself from her stupor to embrace her dear friend in thankfulness. He was alive, but something looked and felt very off about him. Pulling away from the embrace, he dutifully saluted and bowed before Prince Rodmidre.

"The orcs will not be marching to Rosenfall," he reported. "They're requesting our aid to help cull the Shadow threat in Folhath."

"Surely this is a clever trick," Prince Rodmidre said. "They wish to make Rosenfall more vulnerable so they can conquer our land. I won't stand for it. We are the barrier between them and our people."

"I assure you," Paul chimed in. "It is genuine. Lisella is dead and… She was a Shadow Caster, your highness. The devastation she wrought turned the tables. We are no longer the target. You can see them marching Eastward."

Having Paul there to endorse Addiver after all that had transpired aided in the cause. Prince Rodmidre turned silent and contemplative with Paul's own report to back up the traitor's claim. The two men remained before the prince as tensions only rose with impatience. It felt like there wasn't much time to debate or ponder. Actions had to be taken, and it had to be now.

"We can help take down the biggest threat in our lands with the orcs finally at our side," Addiver said. "Alliances can be built from this. And we can take back Edlenfeld."

"I know," Prince Rodmidre said softly. "I know. I want to see for myself. I will accompany this endeavor as a soldier. But if I take Thallas to a war in the East I will not leave Rosenfall without protection."

"I will take command here," Princess Saleste said. "We still have some functioning cannons and ballistae and those who know how to work them. We can put up a good fight and send word if anything goes amiss."

"I will fight by your side," Rodmidre's wife, Faukras, stated. Her dirty blonde hair was an indicator of her lineage hailing from Baladur. It was more common for their royalty to partake in battle, and being the daughter of their most notable line of heroes made her far more qualified than the crowned prince of Thallas. He found it, in a way, endearing.

"Very well," the prince said, and then looked to Addiver and Paul. "Round up those on the West and North walls and tell them to report to the Garrison. We'll meet there for a briefing before we leave."

The Haven…?

The sun was almost blinding in the clear blue sky above the Haven. Idhrenan let her hand fall where she had been shielding the light from her eyes. She had the strangest feeling like she was forgetting something, yet what was there to forget? It was nearly noon, and it was when a lot of the students had their free time before their next session. When not on duty, it was her task to watch over the Green during peak hours just to be sure there was no misbehavior to go unnoticed. Dragons flew about overhead, some with their riders and some without.

"Aurea, stop running!" Idhrenan called out to the girl. She was about to head straight into another student if she wasn't careful. They all seemed to have their heads upward, especially if their dragon was in flight.

The sun was rather bright, too. Looking up probably wasn't the safest. "And don't look directly at the sun, please!"

There it was. There was that feeling again as though she was forgetting something. She'd only had that issue once or twice in her life as she always made it a point to keep sharp. It was then she looked over at Waethrin close by.

The Inferno was back at the Haven after so long.

"We always wondered when you'd come back," she said. "Or if you were even real. The stories, you know… Well, they're sort of bedtime stories I read to the children before bed."

Currently
Your characters will find themselves in the Haven as if it had never been attacked. They would believe they've been there all along yet have a strange feeling as though they were forgetting something. And despite not having known each other before the sacking, they will now find themselves being quite familiar. They would not question it or their surroundings just yet. If the feeling of forgetting bothers them, they'll suddenly find something that distracts them.

@Red Thunder @Toogee

Within the Fog

Winnock descended into the thick of the fog before Raleia and Thannel. Despite not having much of a relationship with any dragon, his presence was relieving. It made Raleia feel all the more real to him. And the prospects of a faster exit gave him the hope he needed. The whispers grew.

"Ready as I'll ever be," he said as he cautiously approached Winnock. "Will he be alright with me accompanying you?"

Before Raleia was given the opportunity to answer, the figure rushed back into view from the thick veil. A screech echoed from its form, and from it a span of leathery wings that flew it towards Raleia in a rabid fervor. It was a hideous creature carrying horns protruding from its scalp like jagged constructs that deformed its stony skin. Claws like scythes curled from its lengthy fingers and bony toes. Thannel quickly conjured a wall of ice before them to block the creature's path, and while it was momentarily deterred, it was soon revealed that it was not the only one of its kind.

Multiple screeches filled the air as a swarm of these winged beings flew around them. Their claws swiped out towards them, hands grasping to pick them up or distract the dragon as they focused their attention on Raleia and Thannel. Up close their teeth were unmistakeably sharp and intended to rip through the thickest of flesh. And if they got close enough they would move in for a savory bite, salivating and gnashing as if their life depended on it. Even with a dragon, these creatures had the upper hand. They were dexterous, cunning, and incredibly intelligent. Those that could would attempt to slash at Winnock's wings to attempt to ground the dragon and focused attacks on his underbelly. They knew a fire dragon's weak points and had the claws to strike through the natural cracks within his scales.

The swarm would overwhelm them if they did not find help soon.

@Elle Joyner @rissa @CloudyBlueDay

Waethrin
"Haven"

Waethrin didn't answer Idhrenan immediately. His solitary eye followed after the score of children running hither and thither, urgently seeking to be some place or achieve some goal unbeknownst to any but them. His arms crossed comfortably across his chest, habitually guarded yet still more open that he could remember being in recent history. The Inferno was back where he belonged, back at the Haven, amidst those who needed him. Maybe even those who wanted him.

His attention shifted, the Emasari who'd addressed him now it's focus. An Emasari at her age; she must be either far and away superior to her fellows, or the Warden leadership was in such a situation that they had to resort to enlisting younger Wardens for the job. It was the latter; he felt it in his bones. Perhaps it was a good thing he was back... But from where? And when did he arrive? The peculiars didn't matter, the old man supposed wryly. Yet he still wished to know. His jaw loosened, preparing to ask Idhrenan the very thing.

The deep thud-whoosh of large wings beating the air filled his ears, and he turned with a smile on his face, distracted by the appearance of his partner. Ancalagon alighted near them, eyes both shining with life and contentment. He was perfect, and it seemed as though their return to the Haven had lifted his dragonish spirits. A few steps brought Warden and Drake together, and Waethrin placed a gnarled hand upon the dragon's nose.

"I pray they stay merely stories, girl; the old lizard and I need rest, for war has made us weary. Perhaps the Council may find opportunity for me to teach the young ones." He nodded, thoughtful, as he considered his proposition. The girl had prestige among the Council. Surely she might put in a word on his account to his suggested end. "It would give us a purpose."

Damn summer days. Was it summer? It must be; the sun beat down so, and his eye clenched nearly closed against the bright light about them.

@Effervescent @Toogee

The silence within the fog was unnerving; birds did not sing, the squirrels and small game seemed non-existent, and each of her own footfalls scared her half to death. No matter how far she travelled within the fog, her surroundings looked entirely too familiar. Hesitantly, she stopped, glancing around the small meadow that she could have sworn she'd just passed through. Coleite walked in a small circle, taking in each and every detail of the small clearing. The trees surrounding the area were tall, almost as round as a house, and sprinkled with moss, fungi, and vines.

A blistering unease washed through her and she glanced upwards, searching for Briseis. He felt near and she called for him through their bond, her fear reaching a point of physical pain. It didn't take long before a shadow blocked out half the clearing. Briseis' landing caused the fog to dance in lazy eddies and the canopy to sway back and forth. Without hesitation Coley leapt forward, climbing up into the saddle with fear licking it's way up her spine.

It wasn't until she was safely in the saddle did she realize her intuition had warned her… A malicious sounding screech rent through the clearing and both she and Briseis glanced around wildly, searching for the source.

"To the skies," Coleite urged, pushing the fear aside. "It could be the other Wardens being attacked. Hurry!"

With a few more flaps of his feathered ice-blue wings, Briseis and Coleite were in the sky. They followed the sounds… More and more blood curdling screeches filled the air and it didn't take long to find the source. Circling from above the canopy, Coleite looked down at the horror below. She'd been right when she guessed her fellow Wardens were being attacked… but by what, Coleite was entirely unsure of.

Circling the scene, Coley could feel Briseis' hesitation at intervening, but they wouldn't fly away, not again…

Briseis roared and then shot a blast of shards at a few straggling… whatever they were, and then circled back and forth, coming in lower and lower, the pair of them firing conjured shards of ice whenever they were able. It wasn't difficult to differentiate the ones they were attacking and the ones they were protecting, but they tried to be as careful as they could… Friendly fire was one of the first things she'd learned when training at the Haven.

"Go lower," Coleite said aloud, unbuckling her mace from her waist. "Stay in the sky… Remember how we used to train?"

Briseis growled out against her suggestion but made his way to the ground nonetheless. He didn't land but got close enough for Coley to jump and land with a roll. Taking a deep breath, a few yards behind Raleia and… Thannel! Raleia had saved Thannel from the shadow! She ran forward, a combination of adrenaline and glee driving the fear from her veins. After more than an hour of walking through the fog alone, it felt good to be near another living soul, and familiar faces at that. Coleite continued to run towards them, conjuring shards of ice at the creatures as she did, intent on fighting side-by-side, finally, with a fellow Warden.

Redemption felt near, but in the back of her mind, so too did demise.

"Aurea, stop running!"

The warning was enough to wake the girl from her thoughts. It was weird, having a dream while running. She had quickly forgotten all the details of this dream, only recalling that she was older. She stopped to look down at her hands and feel her face. Aurea didn't feel any different: she was still eight years old. Still, it was a weird feeling...

"Hey Aurea," one of the children shouted. "We're going to dive into the lake! Last one in's a withered Waethrin!"

Now she remembered what she was doing! On a hot summer day, who wouldn't want to dive into a lake? She continued to run, surrounding by the singing of nearby young wardens.

Ring around the Wardens,
By queen, shadow, and lordling.
Ashes ashes,
They all fall down!

Aurea could see the cliff on the horizon. Below it was a clear lake with frolicking children. The water was so clear, she could see their feet even from the cliff above. They were all chanting for her to jump in and join the rest of the wardens.

"The water's great, Aurea! Swim with us!"
"Yeah, listen to Hale! Jump! Jump! Jump!"

Ashes ashes,
They all fall down!

The young warden, egged on by the surrounding voices, increased her speed. Deep down, she felt that she had spent far too much time by herself. That she had some deep longing to be with her friends, her community. This is where she wanted to be, where she truly belonged! The cliff's edge came closer and closer. She leaped without hesitation, folding her body in a fetal position to cannonball into the water below.

They all fall down!

[bg=#F5E538]

9fihn9R.png

For a moment... only a moment, Raleia was rooted in place by an overwhelming sensation of fear. They were outnumbered... Worse than outnumbered. They were overwhelmed. She had seen many things, the perverted wickedness that came of shadow, but never before had she laid eyes on such hideous, twisted monstrosities. If this was what the Fog held, it was little wonder no one had survived it. And it would be a miracle if she and Thannel did. Her sword was freed as Thannel's ice wall raised, her free hand at the ready, but there were so many... so, so many.

She looked back to Winnock, her heart pounding as he growled, low and deep in his throat. The swarm descended rapidly, and their focus seemed to be her dragon, but Raleia had no intention of letting them near enough. Fear turned to anger, and anger fueled the fire in her veins, "Stay close! Keep your back to mine!" She cried to Thannel, both out of concern and tactical sense, and with a sweeping arc of her arm, a column of flames erupted from her in a wall of white hot fire. The growl turning into a rumbling cry, Winnock opened his mouth and sent a similar wave in the opposite direction, until they were encircled, and as he turned, swung his tail with furious speed into the nearest throng of creatures.

Sudden shadow descended from above, and Raleia spared a glance upwards to see the shape of another dragon, barreling towards them. Her heart gave a desperate throb and for a tense moment, the notion of friend or foe seemed blurred. Then a familiar figure launched to the ground and a wave of relief rolled over her, "Coley!" She breathed, then louder, she called to her, "Coley! Help Thannel keep them at bay, I need to help Winnock!"

Twisting away from the elf, Raleia made for her dragon, and aiming for the creatures that remained following Winnock's attack, she send another plume of flames, before swinging her sword at the throng.​

[bg=#F5E538]Collab with @Effervescent, @CloudyBlueDay, @rissa[/bg][/bg][/bg]

The Haven…?

Aurea was running, much like her peers were, and jumped right off the cliff's ledge towards the sparkling waters down below. Idhrenan merely shook her head at the playfulness of the young Wardens. It was a nice day, and everyone knew the waters down below were deep. Aurea would find the fresh water lake cool and inviting and clear. A waterfall crashed in a spray of white mist down the way where Dragons and their riders played. The sun glistened like starlight that danced on the ripples from her impact and filtered through the clear in stripes of light.

"This isn't real."

A voice, distant, would softly flow through their subconscious. All three of the Dragon Wardens would find a piece of the solidity chipped away at the notion. Idhrenan gave pause, and she searched for the owner of the voice. Surely it was someone close by conversing with a friend. But all she saw was the old Inferno.

Memories began to slowly trickle back into her mind. She could not remember when Waethrin last came to the Haven. "You never came back," she said thoughtfully as she looked up at the man. Rising from her seat, she looked around at the Haven in its liveliness within the summer sun. Was it all too good to be true?

"Apologies," Idhrenan said as she realized her verbal thought. "That was rude. I don't know what came over me. I'm feeling a little strange, I suppose. We're in need of retired Dragon Wardens. All of this activity about has us more out in the field than at home for the young ones. It's been difficult providing them with consistent education."

Waethrin may note a brush against his arm without reason or person to have done the act. If he turned, the sunlight would fade just slightly. The flash of an unfamiliar yet known face.

A dark tendril would reach out from the depths of the lake, snaking around Aurea's leg in a grip to keep her from surfacing. It would try to pull her away from the glistening light.

A muffled voice could be heard, indescribable yet distinct in its urgency.

If they resisted the pull, they would not see the horror of a gaping maw reaching out with shard-like teeth. A light dangled from its head, the sluggish body of the giant worm slippery with slime that dripped and coated its form. It's body was contained perfectly in the tunnel, and its mouth slipped out in gruesome tiers snapping straight for Aurea.

But the Stranger reached out, grabbing hold of the trio with the best effort she could muster. "It's not real!" she kept saying. They were frozen in place, entranced by the light. It all happened in a matter of seconds in the UnderElm despite the trio experiencing minutes in the illusion.

But the ties with such serenity was broken as they were suddenly in a very different location. It was still the UnderElm, yet before them was what appeared to be an archway. They had traveled a distance in the blink of an eye.

The monster was gone. The light was gone. They were back within the dim and dark before an archway that looked like a void in the darkness. Idhrenan, shaken from the experience of being pulled from such a peaceful illusion, placed a hand hesitantly on the archway. It was made of stone and pebbles with runes etched into each piece. She tried her best to conjure the magic to activate the runes, but to no avail. Yet while she could not conjure, she still could see the magic. She knew she still had it.

"Why is our magic muted in here?" she wondered.

"I don't know," the Stranger said.

"These runes," she continued, and then looked over at Aurea and Waethrin. "It's a portal. It's not activated but… I don't know how without magic. I don't understand why we can't use our magic. We all still have it. I see it."

Their souls, bound and born in the magic gifted by the World Tree, was still alight with the sheen of their attunements. The UnderElm blocked their inner pathways to channel such magic, but it had never left them. The World Tree could never take away that gift. Yet here they were before their only way out with seemingly no way to give their magic to power the portal.

"I've seen this before," the Stranger said. "This is not my way home, but yours. So everything to do with this portal is your decision. I think this is where we should part ways."

Currently
Your characters are faced with a seemingly impossible puzzle to solve. Think back on what is in the fog and the portals the Shadow Casters created.

They were using souls. Souls without magic are useless, but when infused with magic they can unlock portals across distances or even realms.

And so the unfortunate truth of the matter comes into play. A magically infused soul must be used to get back home.

While I would like to open this up for our characters to discover and debate, in order to prevent you two from being taken out of the roleplay (unless that is what you want at this point), Idhrenan should be the one to charge the portal.

Aurea still can't remember names, and any panic on her end will only cause her symptoms to worsen. If it continues, she would forget what a Dragon Warden is.

@Red Thunder @Toogee

Within the Fog

Coleite's fortunate entrance bolstered their chances at making it through the swarm of Tainted Orc. Their skin chipped away with each hit of ice Thannel and Coleite thrusted towards them, shattering shards that bursted upon impact. Despite his injuries, his attunement was strongest in the Winter cold, and had the skin of his opponents been more of flesh, they would have been impaled. Raleia's fire heated the stone-like forms, weakening their structure to allow for more solid strikes against them.

Their claws slashed and ripped through the air, now swarming around Coleite as she joined the fray. Thannel felt Raleia's warmth leave him as she rushed to aid Winnock. In his half-blind state he struggled to properly keep up with his left flank and had to rely on Coleite to compensate. His hands turned and twisted as ice crystallized in seconds within the fog's thick vapors, wrist hitching as the pain reminded him he could not complete a proper spell without improvisation. It was enough to give a Tainted the window to strike him down, and they collided and tumbled along the terrain.

Raleia's sword but into the stony flesh of her foes, cutting them down from Winnock one by one. Their attentions shifted between the two, gruff growls rumbling from their throats like beasts as they gnashed their teeth hungrily. Winnock would soon find the numbers thinning as they pulled away for a different opproach, their bodies swooping down through the fog only to disappear again.

With Thannel left in a brawl with a Tainted, Coleite too was on her own to defend all sides. The numbers were not as thick as before. Bodies of the fallen lay in crumbled messes around them like statues that had fallen. They were doing better with the combination of ice and fire, but Coleite's attunement still readily chipped away at their forms well enough and more than what Thannel could muster. Briseis's icy breath could blast through their numbers, but if combined with Winnock's fire they could thin them considerably. It seemed combining magical attunements worked best against foes of Shadow.

Currently
Your characters are still up against the Tainted Orc. They are like vampiric gargoyles that hone in on the scent of blood. Feel free to write your characters taking down or getting attacked by these Tainted however you please. Do note they can do it on their own, albeit in a lengthy time, but if they work together with magic it is much faster.

Help is soon on the way!

@Elle Joyner @rissa

Waethrin
"the Haven"

It's been difficult providing them with consistent education.

The old man grunted in acknowledgement. It was true, then; the modern Wardens were suffering from an appreciable lack of teachers of quality. It was fortunate, as she indicated, that Waethrin had returned, that being the case; the young people needed a trainer with experience and high morals. Yet a thought burrowed into his mind, tiny but struggling mightily against...reality, he supposed. It reminded him insistently that he had no right to force these enthusiastic children to endure him, not when his own past was so full of- Of what? There was anger, regret, resentment. But why? What subjected his memories to these emotions? What-

Waethrin jumped, sensing a brush against his arm. His introspection had made him wary, reactivated his battle instincts. The sunlight glimmered then faded, and behind him Ancalagon chuffed as he did when he wanted the man's distracted attention. And Waethrin was distracted; a face had seemed to appear for the briefest moment. A face he knew, but only somewhat. Only as acquaintance. He narrowed his eye, trying to recall it.

The chuff turned into a growl; the Drake was growing impatient. The old man could feel like hot pokers his friend's eyes boring into the back of his hea-

A flash of realization exploded through the Warden's mind, and drawing his blade, he spun, driving the point deep into the beast's nose. Two eyes, he thought sorely, bitter that whatever entity controlled all this would subject him to the small but significant detail. Damn bastards. Damn them and this place. Again he felt the brush on his arm, more tangible now, and he didn't pull away. A voice, muted and garbled but steadily becoming clearer, echoed in first his mind and then his ear, but he didn't look back to see who is was. He knew. But more, he wanted to watch the son of a bitch die that would present itself as his friend. He wanted to watch it fade.

It did not. Waethrin felt himself wrenched, as if a rope tied around his waist had been yanked suddenly backward, and once again he was in the darkness. In the UnderElm. Anger and hatred for that Thing still swam in his mind, and disappointment in himself that he'd fallen for such an illusion, but he glanced around, taking stock of place and people. They had...moved somehow, and Idhrenan was examining a stone archway that now stood before them. She seemed all right. He glanced down, checking Aurea's apparent condition.

"Lass," he asked, his voice tired. "Are you well?"

Tags: @Effervescent @Toogee

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Effervescent
Aurea enjoyed the cool mountain spring water that made up the popular swimming spot. As she dived down to explore the depths, the young warden recalled when she teamed up with Plainswalker and other earth warden students to create the pool. The elders weren't so pleased with them. They ended up making a giant mudhole perfect for mosquitos. Yet here she was, swimming in pristine water. Aurea thought the wardens buried her hole, not expand it. If that were true, what was she swimming in?

This isn't real.

Something wasn't right. Immediately, Aurea swam to the surface, toward the sunlight. She wanted to confirm that her friends were waiting on the surface. That this wasn't some strange dream. She was stopped: something had her leg. Some creature must have had her! Aurea began flailing her limbs wildly, attempting to break loose before she drowned. The sun was rapidly fading as she was pulled deeper. Unable to hold her breath any longer, she took in a breath. Yet, her lungs didn't fill with water. Thoroughly confused as to where she was, Aurea felt her body pulled away.

Next thing she knew, Aurea was standing in front of an archway. Someone was explaining what it was. An older man asked her if she was alright. Aurea recognized neither of them, or the stranger among them. She met Waethrin's face with a vacant look, still looking for the place she came from.

"I…I…" Aurea struggled to get any words out. "I was home. But this isn't it. Do you know where I came from? It had…had…and it was home to other…"

Alas, she couldn't articulate where she came from. It was as if she was forgetting the language she was speaking. Everything was just abstract concepts in her mind.

Waethrin
the UnderElm

"Wardens. Aye, lass: other Wardens. But what we saw was a figment. An illusion, meant to ensnare us." The old man's brow creased. Ensnare them? To keep them from the UnderElm? No; they had no way of leaving this place of darkness.

Waethrin stood and turned, brow furrowed as he observed the Stranger. Who was she? And where had she come from? More importantly, what was she capable of? That false Haven had not dissolved on its own, and the damnable pair of eyes hadn't wanted to go. Whomever they belonged to. He grunted; there seemed to be a significant gap in his memory regarding someone, but who? Damned place. They needed to get out, lest they all become Strangers themselves.

"How did you save us just now? Or if t'were an illusion, why were you not affected?" He gestured about them then indicated Idhrenan. "Our magic remains in us, yet we cannot call upon it. But you are either working magic or are immune to that of the UnderElm. So I ask again: how did you save us?"

@Effervescent @Toogee

Reactions: Toogee

The UnderElm

The stranger either didn't have an answer or didn't wish to give it as Waethrin contemplated her existence. Idhrenan's fingers brushed over the runes along the archway as she listened and tried desperately to conjure her magic. Why could she see the arcane pulsing through the exposed roots if she could not cast? None of them could. But perhaps it was a note to show they are never disconnected from their birthright. The UnderElm was the roots of the World Tree where all natural magic is cycled and channeled. They were a part of this realm; a part of the World Tree. But they did not even know of its existence. All Idhrenan knew was she was connected somehow to this realm and to the arcane still. It was her soul and very being.

"I don't know how," the Stranger finally admitted. Frustration furrowed her brow and brought her lips to a thin line. "Back there I just didn't look at the light. I kept my eyes closed. How we got here…" The woman shook her head.

"I feel like I should know," she said. "It's on the tip of my tongue. I… We were there in the tunnels and now we are here. I've been here before. I was just thinking about it. Maybe we lost track of time…"

A sudden realization weighed Idhrenan down with sadness. She couldn't cast her magic into the runes, but it didn't mean her magic was not there. And the runes needed magic in order to activate. "I know how we leave," Idhrenan cut in, and then looked between Waethrin and Aurea. The girl above all needed to get back home, and the way she clung to Waethrin showed she needed him. And perhaps he needed her to bring him back from exile once and for all. But the old man would never agree to what she was about to propose. Not unless she made it irrefutable.

"These runes need magic channeled into them in order to activate the portal to our world," she explained. "Our attunements are still here. We are just cut off from accessing it. Inside us is our magic, and we know this. We know we are part of the endless cycle. That is because our souls are magic. And our magic is connected to our world. It binds us to it. That's what these runes access. But it means… I won't be able to come home with you."

@Red Thunder @Toogee

Within the Fog[/b]

From the corner of her eye, Raleia could make out figures moving in the fray, a flash of red among the stone like creatures, the pure pallor of Thannel's skin. Behind her, Winnock gave a defiant roar that rumbled from his belly, along the length of his throat and out his open snout, as another wave of fire washed out among their attackers. He was holding his own, and Briseis had come to aid them. There was a chance… a slim one, but a chance that they might prevail.

Then she saw it… the flare of pain across Thannel's face as his broken wrist reacted to the strain, the figure coming at him, barreling towards him. She called out, but too late, and Thannel and the beast went down hard.

"No!" She growled. She hadn't come this far to find him again, just to lose him to the damnable fog. They had all lost too much, and she was done.

Rushing forward, heart pounding, she tossed her sword and without a thought, did the one thing her mind could think to do. Launching forward, she crashed into the fray, tackling the beast from overtop the elf. The two tumbled across the frosted mud and patchy grass as the creature was disengaged from its original target only to have its fury redirected towards the Dragon Warden.

Winnock's head snapped to watch as Raleia rushed off and with a furious chatter, he stomped his front feet hard into the earth, claws digging in. Her eyes shifted to Briseis, and a guttural sound rolled out. It was intuition, perhaps… a sense of deep seated understanding… or maybe he was just angry, but something sparked within the beast, who was generally so accustomed to working alone, to trust the dragon and his rider beside him.

From the corner of her eye Coleite saw a flash of red hair and turning, witnessed the older Warden tackle a stone-like creature from atop Thannel. Breathing deep as both anger and passion roused within her, Coley used her momentum to swing her mace into the face of the nearest creature's jaw. It looked dazed, if but for a moment, and Coleite used the distraction to rush forward, closer to Raleia and Thannel. The winter winds aided her magic and blast by blast, swing by swing, she pushed the creatures back.

Through their bond she could feel Briseis' desire and sparing a moment to glance upward, she watched as he swooped lower and sent a chilling blast at the same creatures Winnock had only moments prior. She watched closely as the creatures were impaled by Briseis' ice and an idea came to her.

"Raleia! Our magic!" Coley shouted through a dance of her own. Her mace collided with the hardened chest of a creature and the shock reverberated through her arm, sending her flailing backwards. "We must combine them!"

Thannel pushed past his pain as best he could manage, his arm shooting out to form shards of ice to pummel the Tainted's wings. His aim was off, but enough to cause a window of distraction should Raleia find herself in a position to act.

Coleite's shouts garnered attention from the swooping creatures. One of them landed, wings collecting around its form as it stared at the Dragon Warden, and others followed suit. One by one the Tainted Orcs landed in stony silhouettes within the thick fog. They were forming a perimeter around them that looked to slowly be converging. They were forcing them into the sky.

Raleia's fury manifest as Coleite's cry came to her, and as she scrambled to her feet, she unleashed a pillar of fire upon the tainted. At the same time, Winnock, catching on to Coley's revelation and the resultant destruction twisted his neck to line up with Briseis and shot another wave.

From the corner of her eye, Raleia could see the convergence pressing in. Their only choice of action appeared also to be the creature's end game. They were removing the option of fight, leaving a path skyward, but why?

"Again!" She called to Thannel, hoping the elf had enough strength in him for another volley, or that Coleite could get to them. Swiftly, she raised her arm for a second blast of fire.

A collaboration with @rissa and @Elle Joyner

Waethrin
UnderElm

"The hell you won't."

Waethrin had grown an attachment to the young Emasari. He hated admitting it to himself; he barely did at all. There was one relationship he'd ever formed that had developed well, that hadn't led to utter failure on someone's part to uphold it: Ancalagon. And even that bastard was stuck in the land of the living. The old man frowned as a touch of loneliness filled his heart at the thought of his friend; he couldn't wait to see him again.

But Idrehnan. She was a strong woman, decisive and clever and forthright. Yet kind and charitable, willing to put herself out there to send the others home. For all his lack of solid understanding of the fundamentals, he knew. And he wouldn't have it. Not when another option might exist to bring them all back.

Leave none on the battlefield: the living need healing; the dead need honor.

"There is something about you that ignores the UnderElm." Waethrin turned his attention to the Stranger. Even as she gave him an uncertain answer, he remained resolute. "We came here through...Shadow Magic. It drew us into this darkness. If you're here of your own, then you, too, must have the same access."

The question hung in the air, unspoken: did the Stranger have the means to take them back Above?

@Effervescent @Toogee

"Home...home..."

Aurea was lost in thought, trying to remember where home was. All she could remember was this dark maze. She had forgotten the sight of blue skies, the smell of grass, the taste of bread, the touch of friends. Good and bad memories of her past life were gone. There was only the UnderElm. She looked at Idhrenan at her declaration and shook her head.

"But this is our home," Aurea declared. "We are wardens here to protect this realm. We cannot leave it."

The young warden proceeded to grab a rock and looked around for a nice clear spot.

"We are clearly in undeveloped territory. We must build a fortification to house and train more wardens. Then villages can be built under our protection."

Aurea found a nice corner and sat upon the ground. She took the flat stone in her hand and embedded it into the dirt.

"Yes, a solid foundation for our new castle. I think I shall call it...the Haven. Yes, that's a nice name."

Sticks and stones would form a new Haven, it's spires reaching as high as Aurea's knees. Pebbles were immediately drafted into her warden army, each knighted with names of actual people she had known or heard of.

"Raleia, I need you to raise the young wardens," Aurea directed, placing a pebble in a pile of sand. "Id, organize a unit to patrol the area. ...Olsten, shut up! You're not ready. Go back to training! Now Hale, we earth mages need to get the roads up and running. The sooner trade routes are built, the sooner we can get more supplies in the area."

As Aurea began drawing roads in the ground to her pile of rocks, she had forgotten that there were other people. Her mind had disappeared into her doll-sized version of a world repressed deep in her mind.

• Love
Reactions: rissa and Owl
[bg=#F5E538]

9fihn9R.png

The pace of the Tainted Orcs suddenly quickened as Raleia called out another command, their steps moving from slow to a sprint, some taking flight low to the earth in their convergence. Thannel thrust his hand out, ice crystallizing at a rapid rate into thin shards he thrust towards Raleia's burst of fire causing an explosion that knocked back a few of their winged opponents and created a thicker veil through the steam.

"Run!" Thannel called as he rushed towards the opening. "Get your dragons in the air! Get all the way above the fog and head East! Those creatures will want us in flight in this veil but if you find the sun they cannot reach you!"

There was no chance of them overtaking the creatures, and eventually, they would deplete their energy trying. Thannel was right. They had to flee, "Take to the sky!" She cried over to Coleite, "Hard and fast, until you see the sun!"

As she called out, she turned and gestured to Thannel, "Go, to Winnock! I'll cover you until you're on…"

There were too many of them. A rush of emotions surged within Coleite as she weaved through the makeshift battlefield, alternating between blast of shards and hail. Though her heightened emotions strengthened her magic, she was worried of suffering the same fate as Thannel. As a flock of the stone-like creatures landed before her, Coley called to Briseis through their bond, taking her companions heed. Glancing back over her shoulder, she saw Thannel rushing towards the only opening they had. She turned and followed in his wake, but not before blasting shards of ice at the creatures now nearly sprinting towards her.

Briseis landed with a roar, between she and the opening. With another great roar the ice dragon swung his tail, knocking back a few of the nearest creatures. A few strides later Coleite jumped eagerly into her saddle, blasting projectiles at a creature in flight. To the sky, Coleite thought madly, her intentions and desires mirroring through their bond. Briseis took a few bounding strides, wings extending, and stomped atop any creature in his way before taking flight. A few creatures followed them and Coleite blasted shards that may or may not have hit their target. On his own accord, Briseis banked and flew back over the battle, showering the sprinting creatures who were gaining ground on Thannel and Raleia.

The numbers thinned with the ensuing battle as their powers combined for effective blows. Thannel reached Winnock and nearly stumbled before the gigantic beast. While the dragon had been tolerant of him before, he now no longer had the assurance of safety with Raleia as a buffer. And despite the dragon being unable to understand his words, he spoke to him as if it were a possibility.

"Please," he said, "we need to get out of here!"

Whether it was a comprehension or just simple tolerance, it wasn't likely that any would ever know, but at Thannel's pleas, the massive beast crouched low, and while his eyes were kept on the pursuing creatures, there was a lilt from the corner that suggested that he had, indeed, heard Thannel, but that he had better move fast.

Raleia was behind the elf, having little desire to stay there for long. With only a small gap in the throng, thanks to Coley doubling back on Briseis, she turned and ran, and as Thannel climbed up, called out to the dragon, "As soon as I'm on, go!"

It was a risky move, given all that could go wrong, but Winnock knew better than to try and argue. As Raleia half climbed, half leapt onto his back, her hand extended in the hopes that Thannel would be able to catch hold, Winnock jolted upright and with a great shudder, pressed his wings down hard to the earth, launching off the ground and up into the air.

[bg=#F5E538]Collab with @Effervescent, @rissa[/bg][/bg][/bg]

• Love
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: rissa and Owl
Coleite let out a triumphant shout at Winnock's ascent, despite knowing they weren't safe yet. The ice dragon let out a roar of his own, his feathered wings beating harder, propelling them further into the sky. The fog was dense once they flew past the treeline and she urged Briseis higher, eager and desperate all at once to find the sun.

The Tainted flew at the dragons and their riders as they ascended through the thick of the fog, the vapors swirling from the force of their wings. Their pursuers attacked while in the thick, the ground disappearing into gray as the winged creatures clawed and bit and raked at them. They attacked the undersides of the dragon's wings seeking weak points to maim. The further they climbed, the more fervent their attacks. They tried to grab at Coleite, Raleia, and Thannel to knock them off or throw them into the air, screeching at any counter that hit them until suddenly the gray broke free into sunlight.

The Tainted wouldn't follow. They couldn't. As soon as the sun hit them they cried out in what sounded like pain before falling back into the fog for shelter. If they made it out they would find themselves safe above the fog.

Claws like small knives raked through the air, scraping flesh and scale, as Raleia pushed Winnock higher and higher. She could feel him shuddering beneath her, forcing himself to the limits but just as she was sure the wall of grey would never end, a burst of light splintered the darkness and with a great, furious sweep, Winnock poured through, into open air, into sunlight.

Raleia doubled over with a gasp, her hands stroking Winnock's neck as tears blurred her vision, her breath a ragged quiver, "Good boy. Oh.. Good boy."

Blood coursed the length of her arm, where scratches had made their mark, and straightening, pressing a palm against the wound, she craned her neck back to Thannel, "Alright??"

Her face burned as a claw sharper than steel grazed the length of her cheekbone. The shared pain bounced through their bond as Briseis too fell victim to their claws. But sunlight was upon them and as the pair broke free from the grey they shared another triumphant roar.

Glancing to the side, she caught sight of Winnock and his riders easily. "Both alive?" Coley shouted over the wind, "Where should we regroup?"

collab with @Effervescent & @Elle Joyner

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!

The UnderElm

The Stranger didn't quite understand Waethrin's implications at first, brows pushing together as she looked up at the old man until it fully clicked. "I suppose…" she answered thoughtfully, her mind lingering on not only how she came to be in the UnderElm, but how everyone was now at the portal they discussed.

Idhrenan's attention fixated on Aurea as the girl had clearly lost herself. It was a terrifying sight to witness one's mind become so lost, and her heart was struck at the sound of Hale's name. Turning to Waethrin and the Stranger, she felt herself even more driven than before. She could not let Aurea suffer in here any longer.

"My soul will be enough to charge this portal," she said. "We need to get Aurea out of here now. Look at her. I am willing to do this for her. And I need you to be there for her when you reach the living."

"What if…" The Stranger cut in, but her voice trailed off, her eyes looking about the dark room. "What if I am like a portal. Maybe not like this with the runes…"

"I don't understand," Idhrenan admitted.

"When you looked into the light of the beast, I grabbed you all and suddenly we were away from harm. We were here, which is what I was thinking about. I think I might be able to take people where they want to go."

Idhrenan looked at their surroundings as well, much of it shrouded in darkness with a pulsating drum and hissing like breathing. It was an eerie, dirty place that likely had threats around every unseen corner. The ground occasionally rumbled that loosened the dirt to fall on their heads just a little. It was a strange place with strange effects, and so she felt she would be remiss if she dismissed the thoughts of the Stranger. She could not form an explanation otherwise, for she was in the stupor brought about by a clever illusion.

"What do you propose then?" the Dragon Warden asked. In response, she held out her hand for it to be received.

"It's worth a shot, anyway," the Stranger said. "Take my hand. Aurea, come and make a circle."

Unsure if the girl was even aware, Idhrenan walked over to Aurea and gently took the girl's hand. "You've done well," she said to her. "It looks lovely. I want to show you something."

Before there could be any protest against the idea, the Stranger quickly grabbed the hands of Waethrin and Idhrenan, looking between the two with severity and concentration. "Think of your world, and think of it hard. Focus!"

At first nothing happened, but in seconds Idhrenan felt a strange pull within her, as if something were tugging at her soul until she let it. It was the sensation of falling, or perhaps flying upwards into the sky at high speeds through a black void that only lasted a fraction of a second.

Within a blink, her surroundings turned from the dim caverns of the UnderElm to a snow dappled field in what looked to be Thallas.

They did, indeed, make it back home to the living.

@Red Thunder @Toogee

Above the Fog

A dual toned roar billowed from Lo to hail the two Dragon Wardens. Dromast waved to them as she rode Lo, his armor catching the sunlight as he beat his wings. Behind them were a flock of other Dragon Wardens and a few dragons without a rider. Eosphelon zipped through the air, weaving through the other dragons with energy before spritely diving into the fog. The dragon emerged with a Tainted orc secured in his maw that writhed as soon as it left the fog, shrieking until it slowly ceased to move and turned to stone. It was only then the dragon spit it out, and it fell back into the dense fog suspended in animation.

The fog was like the surface of a lake, vast and slowly undulating but lacking the comfort of reflection water provided. Instead, it was an opaque blanket of grey that occasionally flickered with a purple hue that spanned for miles. Occasionally the tops of tall trees could be seen peeking out from the fog showing just how thickly it laid upon the earth.

Dromast signaled for Coleite and Raleia to follow as she took lead and headed for what looked to be the tower of a fort. It wasn't large enough for both dragon and rider, and due to it being the only structure above the fog it meant the dragons had to rest within the fog. As riders hopped off their saddles onto the flat structure, the beating wings of so many dragons actually momentarily cleared the area of the dense vapors to reveal an abandoned fort. Dragons gathered around and inside the building's layout, sniffing about and occasionally flapping away the fog that slowly closed back in.

"A curious find," Dromast stated as she noticed the cleared area. Surrounding her were other Dragon Wardens likely gathered for this very endeavor. "Lo could beat at that fog for days and only swirl it around. I guess there's strength in numbers in many ways. We'll need to keep this in mind and implement it into some of our formations."

The fog did seem to move slowly as it tried to close the hole created by the dragons. It provided them with a more comfortable opening without the beasts having to continually exert themselves. One of the Dragon Wardens playfully scoffed as he nodded down to his rather large earth dragon companion.

"Just have Mizzik sneeze all over the fog," he said jokingly. "That'll clear this entire area. Anyone got some barley?" His friend next to him nudged his side with his elbow, and the two bit back their desire to play off the seriousness of their situation with mirth.

An older Dragon Warden tended to Thannel's injuries from the large pack of supplies she carried on her back. Silver streaked through her wind-swept red hair, and her wrinkles deepened around her eyes as she smiled. "If you're out there and you get hurt, just call for Zuzu," she said to the trio. "I worked in the hospital back at the Haven and used to be a field medic in my younger years. Ah, hmm, looks like you've gone and had your eye all scratched up on the inside."

"There's a creature in the fog," Thannel explained. "I encountered one on my own and it bested me. We narrowly escaped a horde of them before we ran into you. They don't like the sun."

"They turn to stone when in the sun," Zuzu stated with a small knowing nod as she stitched up the gash.

"Yes," Thannel affirmed. "Have you encountered them before?"

"I've met one," she explained. "The fog makes them go crazy, but get one out of the fog, of course away from the sunlight, and they're just as sweet as can be. And in their right mind! They're orcs, or once were orcs. Tainted by Shadow Magic. Much like the wolf beasts you might have seen from humans. Only those poor orcs are permanently in that form. The wings come in handy."

"They have a clear head out of the fog?" Thannel repeated. "How soon do the effects of the fog wear off after they are relieved?"

"A matter of seconds," she said as she tied and cut the final stitch. She rolled a bandage across his head to protect the wound and splinted his wrist before moving on to inspect the other two.

"They have a very deep hatred for Shadow Casters," she said. "I have always wondered if the fog was a way to keep them under their spell or if it was just a happy accident. The fog is a mischievous thing."

Meanwhile, as Zuzu tended to the trio, Dromast outlined their coming tasks. "The Thalls have met up with the orcs and are following the perimeter of the fog until it's absolutely necessary for them to enter. This looks to be Fort Jostaley, which means Folhath is likely two day's march that way."

She pointed in the general direction of East, but Thannel piped in to correct her. "It's a little more Northeast from this point," he corrected. Having lived for quite some time in a floating Vuaturi construct, his knowledge of the land from the sky, especially locations his people frequented, was almost unparalleled. Dromast changed the direction of where she pointed and nodded in thanks to Thannel's correction.

"That way," she said. "We'll let our dragons rest for a bit before we head North to meet back up with the armies to brief them on our findings. Anything you three saw in there would be of use."

@rissa and @Elle Joyner

[bg=#F5E538]

9fihn9R.png

As they breached the fog to find themselves in better company, Raleia felt her heart soar within her. It was a brief feeling of levity that she was nearly desperate for. A feeling of hope, born out of too much pain, too much loss. They had all gone through too much, and seeing the others... seeing the throng of wardens and dragons - even if there weren't more than a dozen - was an encouragement that she most desperately needed. Tears sprang to her eyes and she patted Winnock's neck in silent appreciate for all he had done. They were hardly home free, but they were out of the fog, and for now, that was enough.

Lo, she recognized from their venture into the castle as Rosenfall, and a second pang of relief struck at the sight of his warden. She had been sure Dromast had perished in the terrible assault on Addiver's people, but clearly this wasn't so, and it was just another small strike of victory... a small win. The tears began their descent and she swiped at them, as they pulled into land at the tower. It was too early to celebrate, and even a big win could be quickly lost for nothing if they weren't careful.

Dismounting, she looked around, taking stock of those in their party, as well as the other wardens, then turned to look over Winnock. A few scratches, mostly superficial were evident, but nothing that wouldn't heal with a proper cleaning. Lastly, she took account of her own form - the scrape on her arm seemed the worst of it, raked deep and stinging. The stitches on her shoulder had surprisingly held, and otherwise, there were nicks and cuts that required very little attention. Satisfied, she returned and watched as Thannel was patched up, concern weighted at the sight of his eye. Coley, too, had a significant injury to her cheek, but nothing, hopefully, that wouldn't heal.

She was silent as the older warden worked, silent as those around her talked and joked. She wanted to join them, to let the relief she felt really, truly surround her, but she couldn't quite let go of what they had seen in the fog. When her arm had been bandaged, she listened to Dromast explain their next course of action. It wasn't much of a plan, but then... there was little point in planning anything when their foe was as unpredictable as the Shadow Army. A sigh escaped as Dromast turned to them and shaking her head, her eyes fell.

"...I saw bodies." She answered, with a haunted lilt, "Just bodies... As if they simply lay down where they stood and died. Hundreds. Maybe more. Once... once I ran into Thannel, though, I turned 'round the other way and headed back. He spoke of voices. Whispers. Things calling to him, but I suppose with this..." She gestured to her necklace with a frown, "I wasn't susceptible to this. But the silence isn't much better. And then those things, the Orc creatures... they attacked us. If Coley hadn't arrived when she had, I'm not sure we would have survived."

[bg=#F5E538]@Effervescent, @rissa[/bg][/bg][/bg]

Last edited:
Waethrin
a field in Thallas

For once in his miserably extended life, Waethrin did what he was told, exactly when he was told it, without retort, complaint, or even dirty look. Idhrenan took the initiative with Aurea, and she was secured well in the Emasari's grasp. But as the Stranger grabbed the two older Warden's hands, he too secured Aureas's, closing the circle. As instructions were given, he turned his head to regard the Stranger.

Her last command seemed odd to him, however. His world? Where even was that? Wasn't ... wasn't that Here? The Darkness? Hadn't they been within it for ... well, forever? There wasn't a time previous, was there? No Place previous? His eye, roving between the Stranger and Idhrenan and even Aurea in a vaguely questioning gaze, happened to fall upon the young Warden's construction. "The Haven", she'd called it. That name stirred something in his heart, giving him a foundation both unidentifiable and immovable. So, floundering in uncertainty, he fell upon that name. The Haven.

They were in blackness. No, this was Black, deeper and fuller and more empty than the tunnels of the UnderElm. It was oddly familiar, like they'd- Lisella! Anger suddenly filled his heart again, a righteous anger centered on the injustices done on the Thalls and his Warden brethren. The Wardens! The Haven! Like opening a door to a noonday sun, the old man's memory returned all at once, before he'd even realized it. Snow surrounded his feet, though not the whole field in which he stood. They were through the Black as immediately as they'd entered it, and it seemed all were with him.

"Gods," he muttered, relieved to be within the light once more but still unsure whether this was but another illusion.

@Toogee @Effervescent

• Love