The Dragon Riders Origins

"It's not exactly for us. The dragons love it. Your welcome to it, but I'm not sure they will share very well." She said glancing at Tarsus and giggling lightly.

A clouded mind leads to clouded judgement. I think I would prefer to remain alert, Nekura thought quietly.Indeed, Falathiel agreed, Is there anything you would like to eat?

She didn't even react. Maybe that is because you spoke aloud with everyone listening. Some people do not like that Ellian. That might be but what I said was true, remember back at home? Remember we're not home anymore, everyone will react different and act different, you've seen that just now. With a sigh sigh they walked to the table, giving a curious look at the many things laying on it.

Ryag? Ellian's head turned to her dragon questioning. No, I think it might affect my growth. Maybe when I'm fully grown I will drink with them. Ellian smiled, sometimes he acted just like a human. "Oh I almost forgot. " She said aloud, her hand reached to a small pouch on her side and quickly opened it, taking out a few shards of crystal, each one having about the same color as the ones growing from the dragon's wings and back. "I took these with me for you, you like them a lot, right? " the violet eyes of the dragon became wide and he opened his mouth for the girl to throw the shards in it. Almost happily he pulverized them between his tongue and the roof of his mouth. She'd chuckle, letting her gaze move over all the food on the table. She recognized some things from back home and smiled, not that she was very hungry or anything really.

The food I eat becomes my strength, but I am surprised that this elf did not object to meat. Nekura continued, Many elves have. It doesn't matter, Falathiel told him, Meat will make us strong and the fruits of the forest will give us energy. Eat and reclaim the energy that was lost in flight and battle.

Adaire took a small simple fruit, unique in shape and color. Nothing like it would have ever been seen by the other riders. Slowly Adaire cut up the one of a kind fruit and placed it upon a plate. She had cut a piece for every rider and dragon but herself and Tarsus. "Younglings, after the feast I wish to speak with you. We have an important matter to discuss. Until then; eat, drink, and be merry." With those words Adaire withdrew to watch the comings on and slowly ate a small apple. She had taken her special fruit with her and almost seemed to guard it.

Keeping an eye on Adaire, Falathiel was the first to approach the table and select a large helping of meats in which Nekura helped her carry by allowing her to place the heavy burden in his back. "This shall suffice for now," Falathiel decided.

Ellian and Ryag both gave seemingly little interest to the things on the table. Instead they turned away from it, walking to the closest thing standing up from the ground and sitting against it. Being who she was she got used to eating very small amounts of food and being able to function normally."If you're hungry just eat." She mumbled, giving a short glance to the stare of Ryag. The beast nodded, walking back to the table and eating what looked like some kind of pig. One big bite and it was gone. It was a very common thing where she came form, food from her home. Though she just didn't feel like eating.

(Sorry I haven't been in.)
Traka-Shen curled herself protectively around Iodin, her great snake-like body winding about in a large circle. Even with Adaire being generous enough to provide him with energy, he still felt weak, and foolish. Traka's occasional inbursts of lecturing didn't help.
You could have been killed, Iodin.
I know, but I would've been killed either way,
he argued. I thought what I did was very clever...at least at first. Now I think I charged in without thinking.
You did.
"I thought you were supposed to be supportive of me," he muttered to her, then quickly rubbed the top of her head.
I do support you. Your decisions, however, less so.
Iodin sighed and looked around at everyone else having a good time. He had tried to make himself appear too tired to take part in their victory, but really he didn't feel much like he should take part. His decision had made him someone to be protected. He didn't have the same standing as these warriors.
Perhaps it is time you earn that standing, Traka interrupted.
Al-Iodin nodded and made his way over to Adaire. He felt he needed to thank her first, and would get to the others he owed later.
"Adaire," he said to her. She took a break from her apple and looked at him. "I want to thank you for helping me. What I did was foolish, and I hope that whatever you have to teach us will prevent me from making a mistake like that in the future."

"Do not apologize little one. You were only trying to save the lives of your comrades. Do not punish yourself for that. I have it as well and if not for Tarsus I would have died a few times. I have something for all of you though. Something that will help speed up this process of growth." Square pushed the plate out in front of her containing the small fruit that she had taken so long to cut and prepare. "If all of you would gather please?" she asked sincerely. As they gathered she began to speak. "This fruit here is the very last of its kind. It is called the Galangouz (pronounced Galang-wow-s). It is a thousand year fruit that I searched for for many years and kept cultivated in a small box I held in my study. It required a constant stream of energy to keep alive and now its special properties may come of use." Adaire glanced mournfully at the small plate at her feet. "It is a shame to lose this plant, but it is important now I think. If you choose to speed up your training process you may take a piece of this fruit for you and your partner. This fruit will strengthen your dragons muscles enough that they may be ridden and as the rider this fruit will allow you to keep up with the changes occurring in their body and mind. I will give you a word of warning however. You and your dragon will be in pain if you take them. Only for one night and the pain is tolerable, but you must work together to shut it out." Adaire finished and glanced at each student in turn. "The choice is yours."

Falathiel was a bit torn. On one side, it seemed foolish to rufuse a quicker powr source, but on the other hand....What power does it offer us? Nekura finished her thoughts, The iron strength gained long hours of practice; small, but unbreakable? Or the strength of a tree; reaching high into the sky, but so easy to snap in two? It is indeed a difficult question. Yes....., Falathiel replied, One that may require careful consideration.

Should we? Iodin asked Traka as his fingers twitched for the fruit.
Only if the others do, his dragon replied. She looked around at the food the riders and other dragons ate. They have no fish here. I will have to go to the shore and get some. Now that I can fly, I should return quickly.
Try and bring me some too,
Iodin replied. It's hard to get used to eating much else.
I will. Let me know what we decide.
Traka leaped, bounded off the ground, and soared into the air, her long undulating body blending into the darkening sky. Iodin watched her go for the second time that day. Traka had grown quite independent, confident in her power and standing. He knew that she wanted him to feel the same way, but he lacked natural weapons, or any sort of power he understood. His mind was drawn to the fruit. The other riders had held their own, some without any magic. Surely he could do the same. But at the same time, if the others chose this powerful advantage and he did not, he would be weak all over again.
So, locked in this dilemma, Al-Iodin stood there, waiting for someone else to take the magic fruit first.

Draigon and Kora ate and drank their fill. "I ain't drunk ale this good in awhile." Said Draigon to Korra. She responed with a loud burp. He also hasn't ate that good in awhile either. Since she hatched they been moving non stop. It felt good to indulge himself in food and drink. He looked at the others everyone seemed quiet. He was about to say something to Adaire but before he could do so. She brought out a box. She then explained about the fruit.

Draigon has always been the impatient one and Korra the patient one. He looked at Korra with a questioning look. They looked into each other eyes. Reading each other thoughts. They was different in many ways that's what made them complete but she also was lured by the sudden gain of power. They knew that this could come with a price but any other time they would consider their options but whether it was the ale or the battle high from earlier they forgot all about it. They said together. "We'll take a piece."

Adaire smiled gratefully in the direction of Draigon and offered the plate up to them. "One piece each." Was all she said. As they had taken the fruit she set the plate once more on the ground and stood. "This fruit will give you the muscle strength to ride your dragon as I said and therefore speed up the training process. You seem doubtful of the properties of this fruit I see though. This fruit will give you a mass to your muscles that would take a month of training to gain and the muscle will be just the same as if you had earned it through long hours under the sun."

Ellian was hesitant to take it, speeding up training was nice but it wasn't the natural way, and thus from her point of view not the best. You can do it my dear, we both wish to fly and fight, get stronger. "I know Ryag... " She said in a mumble before standing up and slowly walking towards the plate. One piece for the dragon and one for the rider eh? She knew Ryag normally didn't eat fruits so it shouldn't be very enjoyable for him, for once. She didn't make eye contact with Adaire when she came back up an turned to walk back towards her dragon. "It's almost like cheating eh...? From this moment on we will train without any help, all the muscle and skill we will gain after this shall be our own, not the strength lend from a fruit. " With her eyes on the others she held her hand up for the dragon which with a soft sigh licked the piece from her hand, immediately putting up a face which clearly showed how much he hated green stuff in his mouth. Ellian put the fruit in her own mouth and chewed slowly on it, giving almost no attention to the taste and looking back at the group, curious about who would choose to take it as well while she rested against the dragon's scaled skin.

Iodin took two pieces, though he decided he wouldn't eat his until Traka returned. They would partake of the magic fruit together.

I don't think we should do it, Falathiel told Nekura suddenly, It isn't right. And why is that? Nekura asked, observing her carefully. There is a reason strength only comes through hard work, Falathiel said slowly, The time and patience put into training ensures that we are worthy to control the strength that will be rewarded to us; that we have learned it's secrets power personally. Even if we were to eat this fruit, who is to say we could wield it's strength without arrogance or anger? That is all.

Adaire looked right at Falthiel as though reading the conversation that was being undertaken. Make no mistake little one. We want for you to do this of your own free will, but I am warning you. If you do not take the fruit, you will fall far behind as you will have to wait a few more weeks to be strong enough to ride. This fruit does not do as you think it does. It will only strengthen you enough to be ridden. It is more of a magic boost than anything. Trust us please little one and partake of this fruit we offer you. All of the others will soon know the joys of a rider and we would prefer to teach you all together. Adaire smiled at her partner of mind Tarsus. She couldn't have said it any better.

( Oops, I switched their thought colors.)

Falathiel shared a look with Nekura.
I wish she wouldn't do that, Falathiel told him bitterly, blocking off their conversation from prying minds. Even so, Nekura murmured, She has made a point. It will not be difficult for us to control any sudden magical boosts and a strength of body may be the deciding factor if something goes wrong here. Falathiel considered for a moment. You're right, She told him reluctantly, I don't like it and I don't trust her, but it is, logically, the best course of action. Falathiel slowly made her way over to Adaire and selected two of the fruit. Tossing one of them in the air, Nekura snapped it up without hesitation. Holding her own in her palm, she paused, then tossed it in her mouth. No going back now.

Kirin and Vas ate and drank relentlessly. They had been in the woods for days and subsisted only on meager portions of game that they could find. Kirin knew Vas was hungry and encouraged him to eat his fill. "Go on Vas. Eat up. Its not every day we get treated to a feast." he said grinning. They young man and his dragon looked up to see Adaire pull slices of a strange and mysterious fruit. She spoke of the benefits and of the drawbacks. Kirin's voice rang in Vas's head. "Sounds like the time that bloody snake bit me on the leg. I was right miserable for two days but it wasn't anything that we couldnt handle together, eh Vas?" Vas nodded, his gleaming bronze scales throwing flashes of light across the high ceiling. "I cant wait till I'm as strong as Tarsus." the young dragon said admiringly.It was hard to believe that the large, but still comparitively small to the others, dragon could seem so happy and carefree. "I'll eat a slice if you will Kirin."
Kirin smiled upi at his companion before retrieving a slice of fruit for the both of them. He held one slice to his mouth and the other to Vas's. "Well it cant be as bad as Uncle's cooking," he said jokingly before eating the strange fruit. His face contorted comically and Vas shook his head in surprise. Kirin laughed, "Ahh its a little sour."
He laughed as he watched Vas's face as he tried to rid his palette of the sour taste.

Traka-Shen slowly circled the gathering as she touched down by Iodin's side. She kept one of her paws up so that her rider could pull off the fish she had skewered for him.
What have you decided? she asked as he pulled them off, stuck them onto sticks, and placed them over the fire.
I did not want to be at yet another disadvantage. I took the fruit, but waited for you to return before having any. He offered her her piece. Traka lowered her head and wound her snake-like tongue around the fruit, before pulling it into her mouth. A draconic moan came from her stomach. Sour, but with luck, worth it.
Iodin ate his piece too, and had to agree that the taste didn't suit him. He would be grateful for when the fish was cooked, and he could get the taste out of his mouth.