The Dragon Riders Origins

Iodin finished scraping the last of the salt from Traka's body and she quickly climbed out of the river. She looked to Adaire and Tarsus and thought to them, I did not mean to offend, or to misunderstand. I hold the utmost respect for my teachers.
"Suck up," Iodin muttered. Traka-Shen responded by squirting water in his face.
He is going to teach me something only a dragon can teach. I am already nervous about my performance, however eager I may be to learn more. I want him working with me rather than against.
So I'm just to stay with the Riders then?
Iodin asked her. What if she tries to teach us to fight, or use magic? I don't know if I even have the capacity for magic. What if I need you?
You just spoke of shedding your fears. Now shed them, as I did my scales and dirt.

He did as Adaire said and walked into the water about waist high and grabbed one of the rocks she mentioned. He started scrubbing her scales. "Ya know I don't see the point of this. I keep myself clean already." "Yes I know but she's the boss around here so we must listen." He thought back mentally. But while he was cleaning her he could see that her ice blue scales had more of a shine to it now. He was the first one finished and Korra hopped out of the water and went to near by rock and laid down there to soak up the suns warmth. He watch the others in the water and what transpired with Iodin. He never really been one to talk about his emotions. It's always been about gold, only living in the moment. He had no family nor friends just fellow comrads. Which he wasn't with any more. He left the group of mecenaries he was with, deserted them. But he had no other choice he wonder if they even noticed or cared. Well they had to because when he left the egg left, their prize. He didn't tell them about her hatching for him because he didn't think they would understand or even care.

He watched as Iodin come out of the water he seemed he had a lot on his mind. He thought about saying something encouraging but instead he looked at him and gave him reassuring nod. He knew their whole lives was going to change but for him he didn't want to go back to the to his old life. He looked over at Korra and she looked like she had fallen asleep.

Ellian looked at the dragon again, her eyes and fingers gliding once again over his wings. they were just too heavy. Her thoughts went back in time her hand moving back to the head of Ryag and stroking it gently. "I don't think I will be capable of flying, Miss Adaire. Even with the usage of magic, I will only last mere seconds in the sky. " Ellian nodded, these words were the exact same she was thinking of. "He hasn't been flying after he hatched, even when his weight was less and his wings bigger compared to his body, without crystals heavy as lead. " He was clean and dry now, the scales shimmering with an interesting glow. She turned to Adaire, feeling a short moment of anger roaring deep inside her. It was going to be very hard to work with her, then again she couldn't wait to being trained in fighting again.

Her hand moved away from the scales, tracing the scar running down her neck. This woman, even though she was the first one, had to proof herself to be capable of leading an unstable mind. Up until now she had been able to keep control, however she could just snap and lunge and both human and elf. The pale glowing eyes of her moved away from Adaire, giving the white Tarsus a look. She shook her head. Ryag, what are we supposed to do...?

( Okay. Everyone ignore the elf with the black dragon. T.T )

Falathiel watched Ellian guardedly. For a second there, it almost seemed as if she was an animal, Falathiel told Nekura, As if she was about to rip apart whatever she could get her hands on. Try to avoid her if possible. It wouldn't for you to be killed by another rider before you benifit from this training.

Adaire gave Falathiel a swift glare. "How about this. I told you, I did not ask. Now I would appreciate if you not argue with me further." Quickly she regained her composure after the snap. She turned her attention next to Ellian and Ryag. "Don't worry, Tarsus can carry little Ryag. He will learn to fly and accommodate for his mass. All dragons can fly, he just needs time and maybe to learn to control his magic. Before the dragons left for whatever distant lands they ventured off to I watched some dragons with the most impossible body combinations fly."

( Oh, oh OH. It's gonna be like that is it!?!?!?!? THIS MEANS WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) ( Are curses allowed in this thread? Just asking)

Falathiel narrowed her gaze. "You can tell me whatever the hell you want, I was just making a point that not everyone here came here to be treated like some brainless child!" She snapped, "And perhaps before you start telling me more things, you should remind yourself of the fact that just because you're the first rider, that doesn't mean you get to push around the rest!" Nekura growled.

Kirin walked into the cold, clear water. He and Vas had been walking for a few days and the icy liquid fealt like heaven on his feet. He tossed the rock up into the air and caught it deftly. It was rough and oddly soft. It reminded him of the volcanic stone his uncle had brought him from onw of his adventures. The nostalgia made him smile before he noticed that Vas was still standing on the bank.
"Come on Vas I don't want to be the last one finished." Vas looked from him to the water anxiously. "Do I have to Kirin? I'm not that dirty.." Kirin chuckled and shook his head. "Get in here you big baby." Reluctantly, Vas waded into the water and let Kirin scrub his scales. They were much filthier than they appeared.
"Hey! Not so hard Kirin!" Kirin apologized before returning to the scales. As the grime flowed into the water, Vas's scaled regained the electric sheen they had when he had first hatched. After a good while Kirin was finished. Vas looked like a new dragon as he stretched his wings and claws.
Just as they had arrived with the rest of the group, Tarsus led Vas and the other fledgling dragons away. Kirin was left on the outskirts listening to Falathiel and Adaire. :Looking to Falathiel, he softly interjected, "I think that being the first ever dragon rider, she would probably know better than any of us what it takes to be one. I dont think she's doing this just to be able to boss us around."

Falathiel let out a sharp breath. "I know she's not doing this to boss us around," She whispered angrily, "But she can't seriously expect me to trust her quickly enough to let myself be seperated from Nekura. Honestly, how long do you think it would take for her giant tempered dragon to take out our own? How long do you think it would take her to take any of us out? No time at all. Because she is the first rider." Nekura, having stayed behind, touched her with his snout and began moving out of the stream. Falathiel grabbed one of his spikes so she wouldn't have to swim. Being the youngest, she was also one of the shortest.

"Falathiel no one wishes you or Nekura any harm at all. Tarsus can well control his temper, he merely became nervous and too excited. Absolutely no one will hurt your dragons or you. I will swear this to you in true words if you wish." Adaire stepped calmly from the stream and gestured towards the other dragons. "Please allow Nekura to join the other dragons Falathiel. He will learn something from this experience and so shall you."

As the two elves bickered back and forth, Iodin felt uncomfortable. Adaire intimidated him and the other one, with that great black dragon, made him nervous. He was an elf, like them, but he didn't feel any connection with them. All he knew about elvish culture was that his name, Al-Iodin, loosely translated to Found One in their language. His parents had given him the name because they wanted to focus not on him having been lost by others, but having been found by them.
Iodin felt little kinship with the humans, too. Draigon looked very experienced, though in what he couldn't say. And Kirin...his dragon was so small. While Adaire called all their dragons babies, this one was a true infant. Perhaps the closest one he could gain kinship with was the half-elf. Like her, he felt he was somewhere in the middle between the two races. Plus, neither of them was completely convinced their dragons could fly, her because of her dragon's weight, him because of Traka's lack of wings.
You all have common ground, Iodin, Traka told him as he mulled these thoughts over. Perhaps while we dragons are learning, you all will have the chance to see that.
And what do we have in common?
Well, for one you all have dragons,
Traka told him. For another, you are all brave, kind, good people. I don't think a dragon would have chosen any of you otherwise. Am I right, Adaire?
Iodin turned to the Rider, waiting for them in the stream. "Is she?"

Nekura easily pulled Falathiel out of the stream and unto the bank. He crouched behind her, staring at the other riders. You are scared, Huntress. He said, not taking his eyes off the others. I am, Falathiel told him quietly. You have no reason to be. These people are scared, just as much as you. But a Huntress should never show fear. The moon is never kind towards the weak. I will become stronger, Falathiel told him, We are worthy to be known as rulers of the night and I will not make you lose this chance to reach higher levels of power. Satisfied, Nekura growled deeply, his eyes still on the other riders. Then he stretched his wings and leapt into the sky, chasing after the other dragons.

Tarsus scooped up Ryag and took to the skies. "Traka-shen don't worry about it, you can fly. I know you can. Just focus on it and you'll know what to do." Adaire smiled encouragingly at Traka-shen. "Korra, why don't you join them as well? You'll all be glad you went, trust me."

Falathiel sat Indian style, absorbing the warmth of the sun and feeling it slowly dry her damp clothes.

Ellian watched her dragon being brought to the skies. She groaned soft plopping down on the ground, sitting cross-legged. she already hated being separated from her partner. With her right hand she moved the great sword on her side to make it more easy to stand up again. She ignored her wet clothes and the cold touch they had to her skin. "So what do we do now eh, Miss Adaire?" Somehow her voice sounded a bit scoffing, letting once more know she didn't like the elf. her head tilted back again her eyes following the dragons in the sky.

Falathiel decided to take this chance to listen to the sounds of the forest around her. She closed her eyes and tilted her head upward, as if to embrace the sun's rays. The rushing river, the shifting of impatient feet, and the sounds of bird calls all echoed through her mind. Her pointed ears twitched at the movement of rabbit feet and woodpecker beaks.

Korra took off into the air after Adaire's request. She was nervous at first since she's never flown before but it came naturally to her. She jumped into the air leaving scratch marks on the rock she was previously resting on. Draigon could feel mental link weaken as she flew farther and farhther away. It scared Draigon at first she never felt so far away since she hatched they always been together mentally. It was tempted to run after her but he stopped himself this is not the way he thought. He could see why the elf named Falathiel was reluctant to be parted from her dragon. But he didn't think the First rider or dragon met them any harm if they did mean they harm they would have done so. He thought about say this during their argument but decided not to. He figured it would just make things worse. He had feeling though this would be the first of many fights to come verbaly and physically.

"So what do we do now eh, Miss Adaire?" The elf named Ellian asked. But the more Draigon looked at her the more he saw that she had human features as well. She must be mixed. He thought to himself. "Yes, what now?" He asked Adaire as well.

Traka looked to Iodin hesitantly. He knew what was wrong. She had no idea how to take off. They looked at her earth-bound legs and wondered.
If it were the sea up there, I could swim through it greater than any of them, the dragon thought.
I have often thought you swim much better than you should. Perhaps it's the same magic, Iodin offered.
Traka's sea-foam eyes lit up. Then all I'd have to do is swim.
Traka-Shen leaped upwards, but her hind feet remained firmly on the ground. She pushed with her muscular body so that her entire form undulated. She jumped up again, swimming her body into the air. The motion propelled her another twenty feet, but she still returned to the earth. Traka roared and swam her body along the ground, her motions going higher and higher up with each push. Suddenly the ground released her, and she was up in the sky, nearly bashing into a tree. Now that she was up, Traka-Shen quickly turned and began to corkscrew upward, blasting out a jet of water from her mouth that rained down like a fountain. Iodin felt her excitement and laughed as he watched her rise.
"You did it!" he yelled out to her. "You're flying!"
Traka roared again as she went off and joined the other dragons. But of course! I am a dragon!
As she soared out of sight, Iodin called to her with his mind, Don't sound so confident! You were just as unsure as I was!

Falathiel did her best to block out the sounds of riders. They're so loud, She thought, eyes still shut, If something were to happen right now, they would be completely caught be surprise and entirely vunerable. They should learn to be still and listen. Then perhaps they can learn.

Adaire laughed and clapped good naturedly. "I know she could do it Al-Iodin. We will have a celebration tonight to honor all of you arriving and to honor our dragons. I have a feeling they shall all be flying by the time they get back." She smiled at Ellian kindly. "I know being away from your dragon is uncomfortable, but if you reach out with your consciousness you can touch their minds still I promise. Just now I remain connected to Tarsus." Adaire stepped to the water and gazed down into it. "I know that not all of you necessarily enjoy my company, but unfortunately I am not here to be your friend. I am your teacher and a guide, not to say that I do not want to be your friend. Tarsus and I would appreciate friends after nearly a year alone, but our lessons come first." Slowly Adaire waded into the river up to her thighs. "Now each of you knows that your dragons possess magic, but you as well do. Agolla." The last word was spoken at the water. By nothing more than a word and her will Adaire began to bend the water and caused it to stop and to flow upstream. "Come try students." She smile and gestured at the water.