3. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, SciFi, Modern, Magical
The Diner: an interest check​

You always heard about it, growing up. It was a rumor, an urban legend. A myth, told by the old, by the mentally addled, and by parents to their children. These stories would invariably concern some third party, a friend of a friend of a friend who had gone. But never the storyteller.

It was always the same, they said. After a long day, frustrating or difficult or agonizing or sorrowful, you'd walk through a door and find yourself exactly where you needed to be to- just relax. To gather yourself. To take a deep breath before plunging into your world once more.

For yes: these stories are not confined to one world, to one time. Across as many kingdoms and planets and realities as can be imagined, so too did the stories follow. Not that everyone was welcome; as widespread as the rumors were, no one knew anyone who had been. But to those that did- well. Who's to say whether the accounts of strange beings and odd accents and mythical adventures were true?

But at the end of one day, a particularly difficult day full of stress or terror or frustration or loneliness or- one day, you walk through a familiar door, one you've traveled through a hundred times before, and suddenly, you're there.

"Welcome," says an older woman, auburn hair flecked with gray and face warm with greeting, "to the Diner."

•••​

This is a concept that struck me a week or two back that I think could be fun. The idea is that you create your own setting, your own world, your own character, and your own story. Everything, and I mean everything, concerning your character is up to you. Go crazy. Is your character some spaceship captain, under attack by superior forces? Or are they from some high fantasy setting, where their village is besieged by dragons or an army of trolls? Or maybe they're just a normal, boring human, with nothing more exciting to happen to them than being given a traffic ticket. The point is that your character is having a rough day, and somehow they find themselves in the Diner, a place to relax and unwind. To get to know one another. To hear tales of other places and times. To learn wisdom from the struggles of another. To share your hurts, so that others might be spared the same. For, despite the infinitely varied details in our lives, don't we all deal with the same pride? The same anger? The same despair?

Maybe, by learning from each other, we can share the same hope, too.

This is for now simply an interest check. Let me know what y'all think; if I get enough expressed interest, I'll seriously consider getting this off the ground. Feel free to bombard me with questions! I've intentionally not been overly creative yet, though I do have an idea of what it'll look like in my head.

Thanks! And God bless.

So, just to make sure I'm understanding the concept correctly, a Jedi could walk through the door and end up sitting at the counter between a gunslinger and a sorcerer, while a noir detective, a pirate, and a cyberpunk corporate executive with robot body parts share a booth across the aisle? And they're in a sort of Restaurant at the End of the Universe that is not itself a part of any of their settings (or even necessarily a setting of its own), but more like a liminal space in-between? And no matter what walks through the door, the waitress who has literally seen everything says, "What'll it be, hon." :)

So, just to make sure I'm understanding the concept correctly, a Jedi could walk through the door and end up sitting at the counter between a gunslinger and a sorcerer, while a noir detective, a pirate, and a cyberpunk corporate executive with robot body parts share a booth across the aisle? And they're in a sort of Restaurant at the End of the Universe that is not itself a part of any of their settings (or even necessarily a setting of its own), but more like a liminal space in-between? And no matter what walks through the door, the waitress who has literally seen everything says, "What'll it be, hon." :)
Precisely that. While I do prefer that people generate original settings, it would by no means be a requirement. My only requirement is that there's only original characters. No Batman meeting Sonic the Hedgehog and Kaladin Stormblessed.

A fun idea might be if two characters come in who are essentially the same person. If there are infinite universes, then there are bound to be plenty that are completely similar save for a handful of small, meaningless differences. Say for example, one character from this earth and another character from a nearly identical earth save for the fact that Argentina won the 1990 World Cup final and John Lennon was shot five times instead of four.

If both of them come in on the same bad day, it'd be a neat way to have a character essentially explore their hangups and flaws by interacting with themselves. Sort of a self-learning/self-improvement story.

• Creative
Reactions: Zarko Straadi
Ah, so this is basically Restaurant to Another World, but instead of just two worlds connected by a multitude of doors that show up seemingly in the right place at the right time, it can basically be any door in any universe... At the right time.
I'd totally like to do this, and maybe if you'd be willing, be a staff member in The Diner?

Lots of interest! So! I'll see about a CS / sign up thread within the next week.
I'd totally like to do this, and maybe if you'd be willing, be a staff member in The Diner?
Not immediately. I'd be willing for your character to decide that they'd much rather linger at the Diner than their own life, but we can RP that out. It is a Slice of Life, after all.

•••​

Thank you all for the interest!

If this is still open, I'm interested

Wait, this sounds interesting and also not too demanding commitment-wise, which is a perfect way for me to ease back into forum roleplay. Can I still join?

Red we were promised a sign-up thread. WHERE IS OUR THREAD?

1103.gif

Y'all are extraordinarily patient. If I haven't (understandably) driven y'all away from the concept, I'd love to have y'all submit a CS!
Which needs to be made. I'll, uh- it'll be done tonight. Pinkie-swear. No take backs. Etc. Between now and- 8hrs from now.

Thanks, y'all. You da real MC.

- Red Thunder​

• Nice Execution!
  • According to Plan
Reactions: Nemopedia and Kuno
question, how many characters are we allowed to have?

question, how many characters are we allowed to have?
Uno, compadre. Easier for my little brain. Also, it won't be blanket acceptance, so I want people to all have a fair shot.

CS thread posted very soon.

...forgot to post the CS thread here. Oops.