The Difference Between You and Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Nope," she said, nudging him back. "I did it myself." She started walking slowly, looking down and watching her feet as she went, placing one in front of the other. "I've probably been called any offensive name you can think of. And in multiple languages." She laughed a bit. "You don't know the meaning of the word dumfounded until you've been cussed out be an old Brazilian woman... Weirdest day of my life." Kenzie's smile disappeared, and her brow furrowed a bit. She was still looking down, and unconsciously bit her bottom lip. "I'm used to it though," she said. "People not liking me and being called things. It used to hurt, but not so much now."

Jack's smile disappeared he stopped walikng again and gently grabbed her arm making her stop walking. He lifted her chin up with his finger making her look up at him, "Hey," he said in a kind and sincere voice, "If anyone dares to mess with you from now on I will deal with it. I wont let anyone mess with you." he looked her in the eyes, "No one deserves to be treated like that. Escpecially you."

"Why do you care," she snapped defensively, trying to look away from him. His hands were firm on her jaw, but it wasn't painful. It did embarrass her, though, because she couldn't avoid his eyes. So instead she glared at him defiantly. "You don't know me. You'll probably end up hating me too, given enough time. And in case you didn't notice, I can take care of myself."

He held her gaze, "I cant hate you and I wont. You have done nothing wrong. Cant hate someone I like." he smiles slightly, "You can trust me alright?"

"That's one thing I need to make clear right now," Kenzie said, looking him dead in the eyes. "I don't trust anyone. Ever. I can play the part of airhead rich girl all I want, but know this: that's all it is. A part. None of these stuck up idiots know who I really am, and I don't want them too. The one thing my father ever taught me is that you can rely on no one but yourself, and even that he did unintentionally." She laughed, a short, humorless laugh. "Like he would ever make the time to actually sit and have a conversation with his only living relative." She looked darkly at Jack. "Don't take it personally, it's just how I am." She stared at the ground and clenched her jaw, trying to keep her composure. That was the most she'd ever told anyone, and she'd done so in the process of telling him off. Damn him, she thought to herself. Him and his fucking eyes.

He was amazed at how much she had told him, he honestly was not expecting it. He sighed, "I have known since the first time I laid eyes on you that you were different from these stuck up bitches. And I like the fact that you are different. That makes you unique. And dont worry I dont expect you to trust me right off the bat. Hell, I have problems trusting people myself.

Kenzie, for once, didn't know what to say. "Listen, I... I just..." She sighed in frustration. "I don't know," she began slowly, "how to... Be real with people. That's why I like going to concerts. You don't need to talk, or have conversations, you just let the dancing speak for you. It's easier for me that way. Less complicated. And after, you never have to see those people again. There's no strings." She looked up at him, trying to form into words what she felt so strongly and clearly in her mind. "Does that make sense? No, I know it doesn't, but that's the best way I can put it."

He smiled at her and his eyes brighten, "I know what you mean," he loved going toconcerts and he knew exactly what she meant, "I really do." He paused for a moment looking into her eyes then said, "To me though it doeant matter what people think of you though. It onpy matters what you think of yourself. You shouldnt pretend to be someone your not."

"I do what I have to to stay on top here. You'll understand once you've been her era while. You're either on the top, or the bottom, and I'm not the type to sit back and let myself be walked on. You should understand that better than anyone here. I'm not suited for a place like this, but I don't have any choice but to grin and bear it. And if it keeps my father off my back and out of my business, then I consider it a small price to pay. I've learned to pick my battles."

He crosses his arms, "I be myself but I let no one walk all over me. " he listened then sighed and gently took her hand, "Come on." he lead her outside.

Kenzie let him take her by the hand, allowing him to lead her out of the school. "Where are we going?" she asked. "You're going to get lost; there's over 200 acres of woods once you get past the outskirts of campus. I can't even navigate the whole area."

Once he got outside he saw exactly what she meant. He looked around and frowned and stopped walking. His mom basically left him in the middle of no where! This brought back some anger but he tried not to let it show. He forced himself to laugh and smile, "Well, looks like my plan to make you feel better failed." He didnt dare look her in the eyes now. He thought if he dix that she could see right through him, knowing something was wrong.

"No, it didn't." Now it was her who made him look at her, her hand placed gently on his jaw. "Look at me, Jack. I told you, I don't have friends. No on here would ever attempt to try and make me feel better. They all think I'm some bitchy dragon lady that would bite their heads off if they tried. To be honest, I probably would."

Jack looked at her and smiled a bit. Then he gently took her hand and brought it down, "Well... in case you havent noticed I am not like everyone here." he said still looking her in the eye hoping she doesnt notice.

"I can tell," Kenzie said softly. "I can also tell... That you're angry, and hurt, and trying to hide it. It's not me, or something I said or did, is it?" She leaned on one leg, the other grinding her heel into the grass.

His expression changed quickly to surprise, "What? No! Its nothing you did its just... my mom literally ditched me here so I am prettu upset." he shrugged trying to act like its no big deal, "The only good thing that came out of this was... " his voice trailed off, he was going to say her. 'Am I starting to like her like her?' he asked to himself in his head.

"I get it," she said. "Mine couldn't care less if he tried about me, so long as I don't publicly embarrass him. But I live close so I was given the option to either sleep here or at my house. Obviously, I chose to sleep at home. It's usually empty, so I have the run of the place. My dad's a congressman so he spends a lot of his time in DC, and even when he is home he's usually in his study, so I'm essentially by myself all the time. It's kinda nice though, I get to do whatever I want, and I have my car so I can drive myself places." She smiled, eyes lighting up at the mention of cars. "I have a thing for muscle cars."

Aiyana stood with the basketball in her hand for some time, trying to process what had just happened. She knew Kenzie. Everyone knew Kenzie. But the Kenzie she knew from afar didn't know how to play basketball.

She considered what Kenzie had said. She had nothing to lose in letting her enter the backstage. And free basketball coaching from someone her age? Pretty sweet offer. But she didn't want to seem like a complete loser, not knowing anything. If there was one thing about Aiyana, she didn't like receiving help as it felt too much like pity to her. That's all she had received in this school. But for some reason, she felt that Kenzie couldn't care less and that's why it was a pretty good deal.

I'll tell her that she can get in backstage ; as for the basketball coaching, I'll think about it.

She tried to shoot a basket in the way Kenzie had.

It went in.

Jack couldnt help but smile at the last thing Kenzie said. He chuckled and shrugged, "I am more of a motorcycle man." he had a motorcycle at home which his mom promised to bring down here to give to him soon.

She smiled wryly. "I'm no square; I also can appreciate a good bike when I see one." Kenzie glanced down at her watch. "Damn, it's already 4:30. I should probably get home. I've got a lot to do before tomorrow," Kenzie said, a devilish look in her eyes. "Want to walk me to the parking lot?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.