The Devil Who Sits Next To Me (Creative and Ice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael got up from his seat and grabbing page by the hand he led her out of the store. And started to led her back to her house."Well, 'just Paige,' as a woman of high intellect, I am assuming you have heard of Jean Paul Sartre. He discusses the difference between existence and essence. Existence is the idea of humans just being, and having no meaning. In contrast, essence is the meaning we have for ourselves so we can 'be' for ourselves rather than others or just for the sake of living." Michael made a right purposely avoiding the bridge. "So, Paige, do you exist or have essence?" Michael asked.

"That was rhetorical, so don't answer it. 'Kay?!" Michael smiled. "As for your story, I hate not hearing a story. It makes me super anxious and excited, so it better be the best story I have ever heard!" Michael exclaimed. "So when will i hear it?!"

(And I'm off for the night. Nighty~)

Paige listened to what he was saying and hummed lightly as she thought about it. She opened her mouth to answer but was cut off by him saying don't answer it. "Mine is more... Depressing than interesting." She said truthfully and shrugged lightly. "So it all depends." She didn't want to tell her story mainly because she pitied her parents and didn't want people to pity her as she did her mother and father. "No one really knows the full story so I only have little bits and pieces of it from what my aunt has told me." Her aunt was extremely kind to her but Paige could tell she was hiding secrets and yet, she never pried because she didn't want to push the woman out of her comfort zone.

"Nobody has a happy story..." Michael said very sullen. They walked in silence for a few more minutes. "We're back at your place, so I'll see you tomorrow at school. Thanks for coming with me!" Michael said embracing Paige and holding her tight for a few moments. "Ciao!" Michael said as he started the long walk home.

(I have a long day ahead of me. Sorry for the shortness.)

(You're fine.
Shall we skip?)

Paige nodded and wrapped her arms around him when he hugged her before dropping them back at her side. She turned her eyes towards her home and let out a long sigh. "It should be interesting tomorrow at school..." She mused softly to herself and walked up the steps to her home, walking inside after opening the front door.

Paige wasn't in their homeroom classroom the next day, in fact, she didn't even come to school. Shortly after she had gone home, something had happened that landed her in the hospital for the majority of the weekend. She had had a severe asthma attack and her heart had stopped for nearly a minute. It took her doctor a short while to get her back but now the teenager was resting in bed. Her chest still hurt and she could tell it was from the attack she had in the middle of the night. Both of her parents were with her and her aunt had gone to get her school work.

Stephanie, Paige's aunt, looked nearly identical to the teenager but there were some differences between the two. The woman's hair wasn't as bushy, it was quite thin, and some facial features were different but all in all, the two looked very much alike. She was going to Paige's teachers and getting the girl's work so she had something to do while she was in the hospital for the next night or two.

Michael was worried sick. Paige hadn't shown up to that school that day. Michael tried texting her and he got no reply. He was very worried, so in the middle of class he got up and walked out of the room. The teacher didn't notice, or rather, he didn't care if Michael left. Michael went to his locker and grabbed his book bag double checking he had everything he needed. Michael then walked out of the school; however, he say a person outside of the school gates with red hair and a slim figure. "Paige!" Michael called out and walked up to her. "Are you okay? I was..." Micahel cut himself off short. "You're not Paige..." Michael started to circle her and looked at every part of the woman. "But you look a lot like her...Who are you? Paige's twin or clone?" Michael asked suspiciously.

(Sorry it took so long.)

Stephanie seemed shocked when someone started to circle her and she raised an eyebrow. "No... I happen to be the girl's aunt." She informed and shifted the papers in her arms lightly, looking towards Micheal. "I was just getting my niece's homework so she had something to do while she's in the hospital..." She shook her head and turned back around, starting to walk towards her car. The woman was worried and wanted to get going as soon as possible, wanting to see her niece to make sure that the girl was alright.

Michael was walking with Paige's aunt. "The Hospital?!" Michael shrieked. Without a second thought Michael started to sprint. He needed to get to the hospital quickly. It was relatively close to the school so he could get there on foot. In his haste, Michael had dropped his book bag. He decided he would come back to get it later, it wasn't as important as other things. He slowed down after about ten minutes and went into a light job to catch his breath. "Lucky I was expected to do a lot of athletics when I was younger" Michael told himself. When he finally caught his breath Michael broke into another sprint. He finally arrived at Hospital. He asked the receptionist where Paige's room was. She looked something up on a computer and replied, "Fourth floor, room 34."

Michael ignored the elevators and ran up the stairs. He barged out of the fourth floor door and ran down the hallway until he arrived at room 34. "Paige...Are... You...Alright?" Michael panted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paige happened to be dozing off when she heard the door open. She opened her eyes and looked towards Micheal with a small frown. "I'm alright." That was a little lie but she wasn't about to tell the whole truth. Her chest was still hurting her after all that had happen this morning but she felt better than she did earlier that day. "Why are you here?" She asked curiously and raised an eyebrow, looking towards him. Since she didn't have her glasses on at that moment, she had a hard time seeing him but she could see his outline.

Michael walked over to Paige's bed and sat down on the side of the bed. "I ran into your aunt, who looks exactly like you by the way I could barely tell it wasn't you, anyway, she said you were in the hospital and I got really worried, so I ran right here." Michael said very quickly still panting a little bit. He breathed deeply trying to calm his body down. After a few minutes Michael started to laugh "That was a really hard sprint. I think I broke my personal record on that one." He looked at Paige smiling. "Oh, you don't have your glasses on." Michael said a little embarrassed. "You look really cute without them you know. But, really, how are you feeling? What happend?"

"I look more like my momma than my aunt." Her mother just didn't have bushy hair or bad eyesight. Paige pushed some of her hair back and turned her eyes towards him. "I asked her to get my school work and other stuff from home." She rubbed one her eyes and grinned weakly in amusement. "I can't run sadly. I can't even be active much." She shrugged lightly and blushed at his words. "I've been told that before." Her expression turned thoughtful and she hummed lightly. "I had some chest pain before I went to bed and around one am, I had an asthma attack. My doctor, Anya, said my heart stopped this time as well. That's the second that's happened."

Michael looked at Paige in awe. "Oh wow..." He muttered. Thoughts of a world without Paige raced through his mind and Michael's face was sullen for a split second. "Well I'm glad you're feeling better!" Michael said cheerfully placing his hand on top of Paige's. "Well take it easy and don't overwork yourself with schoolwork. The stuff we did was really easy, so I fell asleep in most of my classes today!" Michael said childishly. "So make sure you just do what's required, and get a lot of rest so you're up and at 'em." As soon as Michael finished his sentence his phone went off. He removed his hand from Paige's and answered without looking at the name on the phone. "Hello"
An angry man's voice could be heard from the phone; however, his words were is impossible to understand.
"...No. You're asking me for your own selfish interest as usual. You just need me for something. Ask Sonny to do it. He will do whatever you ask him to." Michael replied with an angry look on his face. His fist was clenched and he was trying to contain himself from yelling in front of Paige.
The man yelled again
"You burnt that bridge when you drove me out. Don't call me again." Michael ended the call.
"Sorry about that!" Michael said, his demeanor changing from angry to happiness in an instant.

"The only way I can overwork myself was if I became active." Paige shook her head and brought her arm up to her face, letting out a few coughs into her arm. "My mom is less than pleased with this but she's just glad that I'm alright." She let out a small sigh and looked up towards Michael as he spoke on the phone with someone. She raised an eyebrow in a curious manner and didn't say anything at first. "And who was that?" Frowning lightly, she crossed her legs in an Indian style and set her hands down in her lap.

Michael sighed. "My dad." Michael replied briefly. "He wants me to come back home...But I refuse." Michael said pausing and intentionally providing very little information. He leaned back on the bed so his legs and head were off the bed. Michael could see the scurrying feet of people through the door way as he looked underneath the bed. "I don't know how to tell you everything without causing you to be afraid of me" Michael muttered. "Furthermore, I don't know if I can tell you anything without putting you in danger. I guess what I can tell you is I was driven out of my home and lived with my Aunt, Vinny's mom. She was disowned by my family because she married a man whom she loved rather than marrying the person my Grandfather wanted her to. Eloping is not okay in my family. Anyway, she took care of me for most of my life, but she died a two years ago, so Vinny is my legal guardian now."

Paige nodded as she listened and hummed lightly. Well this was an interesting turn of events. "I'm not afraid of much... I do own a weapons company so if I do become afraid, I'll be protected." She crossed her arms lightly and leaned back against the bed. She was a little thing but she wasn't easily frightened at some points in time. "I don't like traditional families." She scowled lightly and shook her head. They irked her very much. "My doctor comes from one and from what she has told me, I'm glad my family isn't like that." Her mothers would've wanted to die rather than do that to her anyways.

"Hmmm..." Michael wondered. His mind was having an internal struggle.
"Tell her!"
"No, Don't you'll ruin everything."
"She'll find out sooner or later. Better you than anyone else."

"We've only known each other for a few weeks and I haven't told you my last name. That's for a a good reason. My last name is Razzano. Michael Razzano, after my great-grandfather, who, as you can guess, monopolized the Italian immigrant of the city into one giant crime ring...The Mafia of the twenties." Michael brought his head up and sat cross legged on the bed with Paige avoiding her eye contact. "The Razzano's owned the city for the past 90 odd years. We control the black market drug trade, black market weapon trade, and we own multiple billion dollar companies." Michael voice quivered. "My father kicked me out of the house at a young age because I got in too many fights in middle school. I brought dishonor to my family and my father didn't like that. So I went to live my Aunt Rose and Cousin Vinny. He now wants me back because he needs me to do a job. What the job is I don't care. I won't get drawn into the poison words of my father like my brother." Michael hung his head and didn't speak.

Paige frowned lightly at his words and crossed her arms. This was something she really wasn't expecting. "Well... That is interesting." She wasn't sure what to say. That's bad? That's unexpected? Her mind was going through questions she could ask but she was tired and couldn't come up with much and she was in some pain so that didn't help. "And why would I be in danger because you told me something like that?" She asked curiously and raised an eyebrow, unsure of how him simply telling her something would put her in danger. "I'm a little confused as to what would be putting me in danger..." She shook her head and frowned once again.

"The Mafia resides in secrecy. Sure the police know who my father is and what power he has, but they can't prove a thing. But, a police officer may attempt to convince someone to testify against my father in court. It's not safe to have people walking who could put you away for life...It's easier to cut off loose ends if you know what I mean. I...I...I..." Michael started to stutter. "I won't let that happen though. It can't happen. This is in strict confidence." Michael buried his face into his hands. "I only told you because you would find out eventually. It's not hard to figure out who I am. When I turn 18 I'm legally changing my name so it would be harder to trace me."

Paige nodded in understanding. She understood clearly what he was saying and leaned back against the bed looking thoughtful. "Well... I could always help out if you need me to." She said, turning her eyes back towards him. "I have some resources if you need help disappearing." It was all she could offer that would help somewhat. Her company wasn't fit to take on the mafia since she had yet to expand it. She was still trying to get it to merge with England and France, she had already gotten to the point where she was supplying most of the Russian army. It was tough but it was close to happening.

Michael shook his head. "At this point there is nothing I can do, or anyone else. My father will get what he wants, like he always does. The only thing I can do is avoid him, since he wants me to come peacefully. I just have to hope he'll wait a few years, then I can leave." Michael finished optimistically. "I am touched though." Michael said smiling at Paige. "You wanted to help me. Very few people would have offered." Michael's eyes had a sort of twinkle in them and he had a tiny smirk on his face. He laid down on the bed so that his head was resting near Paige's upper legs and so that his feet hanged off the bed. "Laughter is the cure to sadness. So cheer up and don't worry about me. I'll figure it out, but I guess you should know about my situation." There was a long silence where Michael kept his eyes closed. "Say, Paige. What is this company you keep talking about?"

Status
Not open for further replies.